Mobile city, seat of justice of Mobile Co, AL, situated 30 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico, on Mobile bay, 160 miles east of New Orleans, and 1,013 miles from Washington, and is the principal city and only port of entry of Alabama. It occupies an elevated plain, over looking the pleasant bay, and is fanned by its breezes. Fires have several times injured the city, but it has been rebuilt with improved appearance and solidity. From its position in the state, it is the receptacle of the commerce of Alabama. Vast quantities of cotton are annually exported. The harbor is difficult of access, being obstructed by marshy islands and shoals, but within deep and spacious enough for large vessels. These, by a circuit around the island, in front of the city, anchor at its wharves. The entrance to the bay is defended by a fortification and marked by a lighthouse. Good water, from a neighboring source, is distributed over the city by iron pipes. Railroads are in process of construction to connect the city with the Ohio river, and also with the Atlantic states through Georgia. It has daily communications with New Orleans. There are a custom house, courthouse, hospitals, banks, and churches. In 1813, the period when Mobile passed from the hands of Spain into possession of the United States, it contained about 100 buildings.
Population: in 1830 was 3,194; in 1840 was 12,672 and in 1850 was 20,515