City, seat of justice of Montgomery Co, and capital of the state of Alabama, having succeeded Tuscaloosa as the seat of government, in 1847, has a central situation in Montgomery county, 220 miles northeast of Mobile, and 889 miles from Washington. It is the centre of an extensive trade in cotton, which is brought from the surrounding country to this point, the head of steamboat navigation on the Alabama river. It contains the usual number of public buildings. The Montgomery and West Point and the Lagrange railroads, unite the city to Atlanta, on the route of the Georgia railroad, and to in intermediate points.
Population: in 1840 was 2,179 and in 1850 was 11,937.