New Albany, IN

Back

City and postal town, seat of justice of Floyd Co, IN, located on the north bank of the Ohio river, 4 miles below Louisville, and 2 miles below the falls, 121 miles southerly from Indianapolis, and 600 miles from Washington.  Like most other favorably situated western towns, its population has rapidly increased within ten years, and exhibits all the signs of enterprise and prosperity.  Here steamboats and other vessels are extensively built, and carry on a brisk trade with the valleys of the Ohio and Mississippi

Population: in 1830 was about 1,900; in 1840 was 4,226 and in 1850was 6,418.