New Bedford, MA
Seat of justice together with Taunton of Bristol Co, MA, 58 miles south of Boston; from Washington 434 miles. The town is built on a bold elevation, contains many fine buildings, and appears with advantage from the harbor. A bridge across the Acushnet leads to Fairhaven, on the opposite side. No other place in the country is engaged so exclusively and extensively in the whaling business as this. About $5,000,000 of capital and 200 vessels are employed. The New Bedford and Taunton railroad joins the Boston and Providence railroad at Mansfield, and communicates with this place.
The population in 1810 was 5,651; in 1820 was 3,947; in 1830 was 7,5925; in 1840 was 12,087 and in 1850 was 16,443.