Plymouth is seat of justice of Plymouth Co, MA, 38 miles south east of Boston; from Washington 447 miles. Watered by Eel and Wonkinqua rivers, numerous brooks and ponds, and Cape Cod bay. Celebrated as the first landing place of the Pilgrims in 1620, and the earliest built town in New England. The rock on which they first landed consists of the larger part of a boulder, and was conveyed, in 1774, to the centre of the town, where it is now protected by a strong iron fence.
Population in 1820 was 4,348; in 1830 was 4,751; in 1840 was 5,281 and in 1850 was 6,026