Seat of justice of Dutchess Co, NY, situated on the Hudson, at the head of ship navigation. It lies on the east side of the river, 75 miles north of New York, 71 miles south of Albany; from Washington 301 miles. Wappinger's creek bounds the town on the east side, the Hudson on the west. From the latter river the village is concealed, being delightfully seated on an elevated plain, one mile eastward. AT the landing there are a number f wharves, where steamboats and other vessels stop on their way between Albany and New York. Ascending by the road the steep bank, the village bursts upon the sight, presenting an interesting spectacle of industry and prosperity. It has the appearance of a city, with its compact buildings, regular streets, stores, churches, banks and manufactures. Upon a neighboring elevation stands the Poughkeepsie collegiate school, a fine building in Grecian architecture; besides this there are an academy and other schools. Formerly whaling vessels were owned in Poughkeepsie, and returned hither from their voyages. An expensive aqueduct supplies the village with water from neighboring springs. The Hudson river railroad passes through the place.
Population in 1810 was 4,670; in 1820 was 5,726; in 1830 was 7,222; in 1840 was 10,006 and in 1850 was 13,944