City, seat of justice of Sacramento Co, CA, 125 miles from San Francisco, on the east bank of Sacramento river, is the second city, in point of location and importance, in California. It is the principal depot for the greater part of the northern mining district. This city is destined to be of great importance, as it is the highest point to which steamers and other vessels can ascend at low water. A good and substantial levee has been constructed around the city, to protect it from the overflow of the river, during the annual and occasional freshets. The city is rapidly increasing, and must become a large commercial town, from the fact of its being central point in the northern section of the state.
The population in 1852 was about 8,000.