Postal town, 42 miles northeast of Boston, from Washington 477 miles. Water by Merrimack and Powow rivers, and the Atlantic ocean. At the westerly end of this town is a small district cut off from the body of the town by Amesbury, called "Little Salisbury." The village of Amesbury and Salisbury Mills lies partly in this town.
Population in 1830 was 2,519; in 1840 was 2,739 and in 1850 was 3,100.