City, seat of justice of Erie Co, OH, an interesting, pleasant, and thriving village, and one of the principal ports of entry on Lake Erie, is finely located on the inner shore of Sandusky bay, 60 miles west of Cleveland, 110 miles north of Columbus, and 414 miles from Washington. Few western towns combine so pleasant a situation with so many sources of prosperity. On a beautiful site, overlooking the whole bay, its entrance and lake beyond, the harbor dotted with sails and steamboats, moving in different directions, the town and its environs form a pleasing picture of industry and comfort. A rich quarry of fine limestone, furnishes a foundation for the village and material for its buildings. Of these a number are conspicuous for beauty and elegance. Besides the numerous steamboats and other vessels, which visit Sandusky city from different points on the lake, it is the terminus of railroads from Cincinnati and Columbus, and intermediate towns.
The population in 1830 was 593; in 1840 was 1,200 and in 1850 was 5,087