Santa Fe, NM
City, seat of justice of Santa Fe Co, New Mexico, is situated east of the Rio del Norte, about 600 miles from the gulf og Mexico. It has long been an important rendezvous of traders from other parts of the Union and Mexico. Between 1834 and 1841, the annual value of the trade passing through this place was from $2,000,000 to $3,000,00. The hostilities between the United States and Mexico checked this prosperity; but the annexation of New Mexico, and the rapid settlement of California, are sources of permanent advantage, of which the influence has been already felt. The annoyances from hostile Indians, to which traders have always been more or less exposed, are the principal obstacles to its rapid increase.
The population is about 5,000.