St Louis, MO
City, seat of justice on St Louis Co, MO, situated on the west bank of Mississippi river, 20 miles below the junction of the Missouri, 180 miles above the Ohio, 1,150 miles from New Orleans, and 856 miles from Washington. It is built upon two elevations, the lower twenty feet above the river, and the higher sixty feet. The terrace, as it may be styled, next the water, affords room for several business streets, some of which are lined with rows of spacious and imposing warehouses. Above, are many fine sites for residence and for public buildings, churches, asylums, schools, banks, and various other prominent edifices. The thickly peopled part of the city extends several miles along the river, and about a mile westward. The whole area is much larger, including 36 square miles or more, and is filling up with unexampled rapidity.
The commercial position and advantages are remarkable, as its growing prosperity conclusively testifies. Few towns on the Mississippi have so favorable a position with respect to that river, while it is the entrepot of a vast trade from the valleys of Ohio and Missouri rivers. It is thus identified in progress with an extensive section of the west, to which it holds an important relation. The surrounding land is fertile, populous, and well cultivated, and of course contributes largely to the maintenance and trade of the city. The harbor is sufficient for steamboats of the largest class, many hundreds of which stop at this point every year.
The manufactures of St Louis are also extensive and varied, embracing articles of different descriptions, to the amount of many hundred thousand dollars.
The city is lighted with gas, and supplied with water from the river, elevated into reservoirs by steam engines, and thence distributed by iron pipes. It is the seat of St Louis University, and contains other scientific and literary institutions of different grades.
The population in 1810 was 1,600; in 1820 was 4,598; in 1830 was 5,852; in 1840 was 16,469 and in 1850 was 77,864.