St Paul

Back

Postal village, seat of justice of Ramsey Co, and capital of Minnesota, occupies a plateau, at the head of the bold bank of the Mississippi, on its north side, eight miles below the falls of  St Anthony, the head of navigation.  The central position of the town is level, terminating on the bluff, eighty feet high, which recedes from the river at the upper and lower end of the village, forming two landings.  Though yet in embryo, it bids fair to become an important point on the westward stream of civilization.  Population in 1850 was 1,135.