City in Salina twp, seat of justice of Onondaga Co, NY, 131 miles west of Albany; from Washington 348 miles. Few inland towns have a more advantageous position; in the midst of a region rich in exhaustless salt springs, it communicates with Lake Ontario by the Oswego canal, and the Oswego and Syracuse railroad, which here join respectively the Erie canal and the great central railroad of New York. The buildings of Syracuse are chiefly of brick; it also contains an elegant hotel and several churches. A branch canal connects the place with Salina, about a mile distant, and between the twp places, are extensive manufactories, yielding a vast quantity of salt, and a large annual revenue to the state.
The population in 1830 was 2,565; in 1840 was 6,502 and in 1850 was 25,251.