City, seat of justice of Leon Co, and capital of the state of Florida; from Washington 896 miles. Situated in the midst of a fertile and undulating region, upon elevated ground, from which several pure springs issue and unite in a good mill stream. This city, like the state, is of recent growth. Thirty years ago, its site was a luxuriant but unpeopled wilderness. It is now an increasing town, laid out with streets and public squares, with respectable buildings. It has a statehouse, churches, jail, market house, bank and other conspicuous edifices. Twenty miles south of Tallahassee is St Marks, on the Gulf of Mexico, where ships discharge their cargoes bound for the capital, to which a railroad conveys them. The population varies in winter and in summer. In the former season, many resort to this place from colder regions to enjoy the mild and salubrious climate.
Population: In 1826, there were about 800 inhabitants; in 1830 was 1,500; in 1840 was 1,616 to 2,500 and in 1850 was (blank).