Seat of justice or Mercer Co, and capital of the state of New Jersey, situated on the east side of Delaware river, at the head of sloop navigation, 30 miles northeast of Philadelphia, 60 miles southwest of New York and 166 miles from Washington. The city is pleasantly located on ground somewhat uneven, the streets regular, and many of the buildings are elegant and substantial. The statehouse, built of stone, and covered with stucco, in imitation of granite, is finely situated, and commands a delightful prospect of the Delaware and surrounding country. Above the city, the river descends by rapids, or falls; and at the foot of this descent it is spanned by a fine bridge, 1,100 feet long, with five arches, supported by stone piers. One side of this bridge is appropriated to the railroad from New York to Philadelphia. At Trenton, the Delaware and Raritan canal meets a feeder, which enters the river 23 miles above the city. The falls afford an extensive water power for manufacturing purposes, which has been increased by means of a dam across the river, and a raceway along its bank. Trenton is united to New Brunswick and New York by the New Jersey railroad, and by the Philadelphia and Trenton railroad, with the metropolis of Pennsylvania.
The population in 1810 was 3,003; in 1820 was 3,942; in 1830 was 3,925 (township); in 1840 was 4,035 and in 1850 was 6,466.