City, seat of justice of Worcester Co, MA, 42 miles west of Boston; from Washington 425 miles. It is situated in a pleasant valley, surrounded by gentle hills, laid out with regularity and taste, its streets animated by industry, and beautified by nature with shady trees and pleasant gardens. It is, in fact, a New England village. Here, as veins at the heart, concentre railroads from Boston, Providence, Norwich, Springfield, Hartford and New Haven, New York, the valley of the Hudson, New Hampshire, and Vermont, which discharge their burdens, and bear away as swiftly the productions of Worcester and the fruitful region which surrounds it. The Blackstone canal, 45 miles long, forms another channel of communication with Providence. The state lunatic asylum, and the hall of the American Antiquarian Society, are the most prominent public buildings.
The population in 1810 was 2,577; in 1820 was 2,962; in 1830 was 4,172; in 1840 was 7,497 and in 1850 was 17,049