Xenia

Back

Seat of justice of Greene Co, OH, 61 miles southwest of Columbus; from Washington 454 miles.  It is a large and rapidly growing town, in the centre of a fertile and highly cultivated country, and is watered by Little Miami river and Caesar's and Shawnee creeks, on the latter of which, three miles from its entrance into Little Miami river (of which it is a chief tributary), the principal village is located.  Its streets are handsomely and regularly laid out, and adorned with several churches and other public buildings, together with many elegant private residences.

The population of the township in 1830 was 4,127; in 1840 was 4,913 and in 1850 was 7,055