Brooklyn City, NY
Seat of justice of King's Co, NY, second in population in the state, is situated at the west end of Long Island, on the easterly side of East river, opposite the city of New York. Its surface was originally rough and broken, but has since been graded sufficiently low to be passed with ease. From the top of the "Heights", the city spreads over a gentle, or undulating slope, for several miles, towards Gowanus bay on the south and Williamsburg on the northeast. It is destined like each in the constellation of cities which cluster around New York, to attain inconceivable greatness. Its ample limits, and fine situation close to the business part of the present commercial emporium, with which it is connected by six steam ferries--two of them, the Fulton and the South ferry, probably surpassed for elegance and dispatch by any in the world--render it a favorite residence for merchants and others who do business in New York, and to these causes it is indebted for its rapid growth in population and wealth. Most of the streets are broad and pleasant, lined with handsome shade-trees, and substantial and often princely dwellings, which are lighted in the night with gas. The new avenues toward the east part of the city, are arranged with great Regularity and taste; with open airy gardens attached to dwellings. The city hall in a central situation at the union of several of the principle streets, is a fine edifice of white marble
The United States Naval hospital, on a gentle swell near Walkabout bay, seen with its white marble walls through groups of trees, makes an agreeable picture. On this bay, at the north side of the city, appear also the large buildings of the nay-yard, which includes an area of 45 acres, enclosed by a substantial brick wall. Here, too, is the US dry-dock, a structure of almost unequalled vastness. The foundation is 406 feet long and 120 feet wide. The main chamber is 286 feet long and 30 feet wide at the bottom; at the top 307 feet long and 98 feet wide. The iron folding gates weigh 150 tons. Pumps discharge 40,000 gallons of water per minute. Ships of war of the largest class, her enter and are repaired. 16 years were occupied in the construction of this dock.
The churches, which in proportion t the population of the place, are equaled in number and beauty by no other city, except , perhaps, by those of New York, are of all orders of architecture, from the chaste and simple Grecian, to the pure Gothic, with lofty walls, richly sculptured columns, and tinted windows. The literary advantages of Brooklyn are also numerous and valuable. Libraries, lectures, scientific, and literary societies; and schools of various grades, are flourishing and well supported. The harbor of Brooklyn is deep, spacious and sufficient for any number of vessels. Along the southwest front, opposite Governor's Island, extends the Atlantic dock, a deep and spacious basin of 42 acres, which is surrounded by piers and bulkheads, containing a large number of substantial warehouses, built of stone. Other warehouses and factories of various kinds line the wharves along the East river, from the Atlantic dock to Walkabout bay. A few miles south of the city, beyond Gowanus bay, lies the beautiful and enchanting Greenwood Cemetery, which for combination of romantic nature with splendid art, is probably surpassed by no necropolis in the world. The Long Island railroad terminates in Brooklyn, at the South ferry
The population in 1800 was 3,298: in 1810 was 4,402; in 1820 was 7,175; in 1830 was 12,042; in 1840 was 36,233 and in 1850 was 96,850.