Capital of Maryland, and seat of justice of Anne Arundel Co, is situated on the southwest bank of Severn river, three miles from its entrance into Chesapeake bay, 20 miles southeast of Baltimore, and 40 miles from Washington. Though located favorably enough for commerce on a good harbor, the tide of trade and prosperity is drawn too strongly toward Baltimore to allow it to flourish as vigorously as it otherwise might. The site and plan of the city are pleasant and agreeable. The statehouse is venerable and interesting from its Revolutionary associations. Here, in 1783, Washington resigned his commission to the continental congress, one month after the departure of the enemy from the American shores. The walls of the senate-chamber are honored with the portraits of Carroll, Chase, Paca and Stone, signers of the Declaration of Independence, and of other distinguished contemporaries. In the hall of the house of delegates, is a picture of the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. Aside from these attractions, the capitol is beautiful for it situation and architecture, as well as for the magnificent prospect viewed from its dome. Besides several churches, banks & C., Annapolis contains St John's college.
The population is 1810 was about 2,000. In 1820 about 2,269. In 1830 there were 2, 623. In 1840 there were 2,792. In 1850 there were 3,011