The capital of Texas and the seat of justice of Travis co, is situated on the northeasterly side of the Colorado river, 200 miles northwest of Galveston. The site is salubrious, being removed from the unhealthy atmosphere of the seaboard. The city is laid out on an extensive scale, with regular streets and avenues, which when lined with contemplated rows of buildings, will present an imposing spectacle. At present the buildings are not remarkable for elegance or number. In 1845 a convention met at this place and organized a state government and constitution which were ratified by the popular vote in the same year. In 1846 the first state legislature met at Austin where it has since held biennial sessions.
Population in 1840 was about 400. In 1850 was 4,346