Williamson County, Illinois
Genealogy and History

Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

 



Southern Township


T10-2

Places in Southern Twp

Section 4 -- Chamness was first settled by Wiley Berry Chamness. In 1935 the government bought the town. It is gone now as the area is now part of the Wildlife Refuge
Section 9 -- Marion Federal Prison is now located in this section
Section 12 -- Hudgens began as a RR station on the land of Zachariah Hudgens. Also called Hudgensville. The village was still there in 1900.
Section 16 -- 1876 map the Grangehall is in this section.
Section 17 -- Alum Cave is located in this section, I think this was really a cave and not a town or anything.
Section 18 -- Sugar Creek, there was a Pratt's mill here
Section 23 -- Neilson was a RR junction on the land of Alexander Neilson. There was also a RR construction camp here at one time.
Section 31 -- Day was est by Francis J Lance.
Section 34 -- Pully's Mill was est in 1854 by Barton and Daniel Pully. In 1778 George Rogers Clark camped there. Today there are a few houses. T1876 map shows the Pully's Mill PO and a stream mill

Unknown Locations -- Ramseyville was a tavern and trading post. Harrison's Mill Settlement was est in 1844 and was about 5 miles south of Marion.


Southern Twp Churches

Name

Town or section

 
East Liberty sec 31 just west of Day
Fountain sec 14 est in 1853 by Orson Kellogg
Freedom sec 11  
McKinney Chapel sec 36 est 1895 by John McKinney
Sarilda Christian sec 24 est in 1877
unknown sec 8 on 1908 map
unknown sec 4 est 1849 in Chamness by members of Grassy Creek, 1935 government bought the town, now part of Wildlife Refuge

Southern Twp Cemeteries -- Transcriptions

Brooks -- sec 31
Bubby -- sec unk
Burrough -- sec 17
Dockins -- ?sec 1
East Liberty -- sec 31
Fountain -- sec 14
Freedom -- sec 11
Grangehall -- sec 16 aka Robertson
Green-Roberts ? -- sec 11
Grimes -- sec 17
Huffman ? -- sec 12
Huffstuttler ? -- sec 12
McIntosh -- sec 8
McIntuff ? -- sec 13
McKinney Chapel -- sec 36
Meneese -- sec 34
Moulton -- sec 17
Norris ? -- sec 10
Old Crab Orchard -- sec 4
Perry -- sec 11
Pritchett ? -- sec 25
Stanley ? -- sec 22
Younkin -- sec 6
unknown -- sec 23
unknown -- sec 1

Southern Twp Schools

Name

Town or
Section

 
Armstrong #100 sec 6 est before 1876 on land donated by JW Armstrong, on 1941 map
Cooksey #8 sec 9 in use 1879, 1/2 miles south of Federal Prison
Crain sec 17 on 1908 map, 1941 map
Flatts #99 sec 5 on 1941 map
Lance #93 sec 12 est 1860 on land donated by Chance Lance, 1876 LD Hartwell teacher
Lentz #1 unknown 1900 Duff Hartwell teacher
Meneese #96 sec 34 est 1876 by John Meneese
Poplar Grove sec 32 on 1941 map
Robertson #95 sec 16 in use in 1900
Sarilda #90 sec 24 est in 1878 on land donated by JH Stark, it was his wife's name
unknown #100   consolidation of Cooksey, Crain, Flatts & Ogden (in Grassy)
unknown sec 25 on 1876 map
unknown sec 30 on 1876 map
unknown sec 23 in use in 1900
unknown sec 7 on 1876 map
unknown sec 4 on 1876 map, at Chamness

Southern Twp Mines

There are no mines in Southern Twp






HOME


Copyright © Genealogy Trails