The Eureka Journal

Eureka, Illinois, Thursday, October 10, 1889

Radford & Davidson, Editors and Proprietors
Terms $1.50 Per Year
Volume XXII
Number 41.

(Page 1)

This newspaper was found under the flooring of the J.D. Ball home near Toluca when the home was recently demolished to build a new home for the present owners, Gaylord and Marcia Schmillen.  Unfortunately the existance of this paper and others were discovered too late to save it intact.  I will attempt to record as much of the paper as possible "as written".  I want to thank Ken, Gaylord and Marcia Schmillen for letting me borrow this paper to record.

Column 1

This paper is entered as second-class m
atter at the Post Office in Eureka, Ill.


Eureka  -  Illinois

and FEED of all kinds,
in the Allison Building, Eurka.

He will do your CUSTOM GRINDING and furnish you the above goods as cheap as any one.


to canvass for the sale of Nursery

Steady employment.  Apply at once, stating age  (Refer to this paper.).

J. B. Nellis & Co., ROCHESTER, N.Y.

(Remainder of Column 1 is missing)

Column 2

Change is one of the irresistable laws of nature, and fortunately the change is almost invariably for the better.  As an instance of this, St. Patrick's Pills are fast taking the place of the old harsh and violent cathertics, because they are milder and produce a pleasanter effect, besides they are much more beneficial in removing morbid matter from the system and preventing ague and other malarious diseases. As a cathartic and liver pill they are almost perfect.  For sale by F. B. Stumpf.    40 tf

To solicit orders for our reliable Nursery stock.  Salary and Expenses or Commission to successful men.  Permanent employment.  Special inducements to new men.  Address at once stating age.  CHASE BROTHERS' COMPANY, Chicago, Ill.


J.   D.   M o o r e,
where you will find a large stock of
which he proposes to sell as cheap as the market will allow. HIGHEST CASH PRICE


R o a n o k e  B u s i n e s s  D i r e c t o r y.

W. M. McCORD, Proprietor,


Good Table,  Good Accommodation.
Terms Reasonable.







(?torn) line of Suit & Pants Patterns
Large variety of Samples to select from.

Guaranteed first-class

(Remainder column 2 missing)

Column 3


There will be five changes of the moon this month.

South Dakota went very decidedly for prohibition.

The Bennett failure in Peoria is estimated as high as $300,000.

The capital of South Dakota is located at Pierre by vote of the people.

It is said that Chicago wants the world's fair.  Yes, we heard that several days ago.

It is said that a coffee trust is putting up prices again, on the plea that the crop is short.

Thirty-four vessel belonging to various nationalities were destroyed in the recent storm in Mexico.

A special election is called in Knox county the 15th inst. to fill a vacancy in the office of circuit clerk.

An exchange is of the opinion that it its better to swear honestly than to pray hypocritically.  We suppose the editor has tried both.

Joseph Reckner, a farmer near Pekin, while driving home from that city last Thursday night fell from his wagon and broke his neck.

The new postoffice on the Santa Fe road between Washington and Morton is named Crandall, in honor of a family of early settlers in that vicinity.

The "Big Four" road has gobbled up the I., B. & W. road; also what is known as the Bee Line. The consolidation makes a strong combination.

Senatoer Plumb's election to the chairmanship of the deep harbor convention seems appropriate, as a plumb wouldn't be a bad thing to measure the water with.

The Champaign family that keep a fierce dog will have to call to the post-office for their mail, as the carriers have orders not to deliver mail where such dogs are kept.

The winners of the bicycle prizes in Peoria last week were, G. Harding, St. Louis; G. K. Barrett, Thorne and Lumsden of Chicago; Woods, Jacksonville, and Bowber, Niagara Falls.

China is rapidly becoming civilized.  Not long since one base ball club in that country offered another club $15,000 for one of the latter's players. What further evidence is wanted?

Judge S. S. Page delivered a Fourth of July oration at Petersburg last Fourth, and last week a number of the leading citizens of that city, moved by his eloquence, presented him with a gold-headed cane.

McLean county boasts of having $40,000 in her treasury.  It is a question as to whether a surplus is a good thing for a county, state or nation; or, in fact, any corporation.  Frequently it is a bad thing with individuals.

A gentleman has just recovered $500 damages from the city of Champaign for being injured by his hourse running away with him and injuring him, the animal having taken fright at the water thrown by the hose company.

Travels in Foreign Countries

At the request of a large number of students and friends, I take pleasure in relating something of the manner in which I spent my summer vacation, with the hope that some good may be doen thereby. Nothing tends to develop the mind so much as traveling, and no proper conception can be had of the manners and customs of our fellow men in the different parts of the globe by mere study, nor is it possible to understand the beauties of nature and the products of human skill and ingenuity without having stood in their presence and admired their beauty and grandeur
(Remainder column 3 missing)

Column 4

would be a waste of time to repeat them.
     Our party, consisting of six ladies a little boy and myself, left New York on the 29th day of June in the magnificent Conard steamer "Aurania", bound for Liverpool, England. Supposing that not many of you have ever seen a modern transatlantic steamer, a short description of the steamer "Etruria", on which we returned to American, may not be uninteresting.  I speak of the "Etruria" because I failed to obtain the dimentions of the boat on which we went to Europe.
    The Etruria is 560 feet long, 57 feet wide and 68 feet high. That you may have an idea of the size of this structure, I will say that the ship is 8 times as long as the main College building, 1 1/2 times as wide and as high as the college to the top of the belfrey. The hull and all the inside framework are built of steel, wood being used only in finishing the inside. The ship is divided into nine water-tight bulkheads or compartements, and the doors, by means of which access is had from one to another, can all be closed hermetically by machinery at a signal from the captian. The Etruria is a six story building. The lower floor is used for ballast; the second for freight and coal; the third, called the main deck, the fourth, called the saloon deck and the fifth, called the spar deck are used for the accommodation of passengers and the sixth or bridge is the place occupied by the officer who has charge of the vessel. The center of the ship, from bottom to top, is occupied by the ponderous machinery by means of which the ocean is often crossed in less than six days.
    A visit to the engine room offers a sight never to be forgotten. This ship has a monster triple engine of 10,000 horse power, and all the enegy (energy) developed is used to turn the shaft to which the propeller is affixed. This shaft, the largest ever built, is made of solid steel, 80 feet ong and 28 inches in diameter. The propeller is 36 feet in diameter made of Alluminium steel, and looks very much like the wings of an ancient dutch windmill, pictures of which all of you have undoubtedly seen. The steam necessary to put this machinery in motion is furnished by nine enormous boilers, each of which is provided with eight fire places and into these 72 grates. The stokers shoved 300 tons of coal every 24 hours. The work of feeding the furnaces is done by 90 firemen or stokers, divided into three gangs of 30 each, each gang working four hours and resting eight. If anything in this world can give an edequate idea of the infernal region, it is the furnace room of a transatlantic steamer. It is in the bottom of the ship really
under water, and is lighted only by the glow of the fires.  The boilers are placed in three parallel rows of three each, with narrow passages between. The heat is almost suffocating, and in this frightful palce thirty men, naked to the waist, black with coal dust, prespiration (perspiration0 running off them in streams, labor twice four hours in each twenty-four, that the saloon passengers above may be spedily carried across the sea. The smoke from the furnaces escapes through two smoke stacks eighty feet high and 18 feet in diameter.
       The crew of the Etruria numbered three hundred, divided about as follows: 1 captain and 10 officers, 9 engineers and 18 oilers, 90 firemen, 50 waiters, 20 stewards, 20 stewardeses, 40 sailors, 20 cooks and dishwashers, physician, barber, barkeepers, &c. This ship is fitted out for first-class passengers only, and the three decks occupied by them are a real floating place. The three hundred state rooms were occupied on our return voyage by about 700 passengers, some rooms being occupied by two and others by four. The dining room has seats for 300, the music room, smoking room, ladies' cabin, etc., and in fact  
(remainder column 4 missing)

Column 5

o'clock in the morning.  We had gone on board the evening before and arose just in time to see the ship leave the dock and steam down the bay towards Sandy Hook.  The morning was so foggy that we could not see anything a hundred feet off, so we passed by Governor's Island, the Bartholdi statute and the beautiful vaillas on both banks without getting even a glimpse of them. In about two hours we reached the ocean but the water was so calm that no one noticed our passage from fresh to salt water. About noon the fog lifted and the passengers came on the upper deck, trying to find out who were on board.  Nearly all were going to Europe for the same purpose, plesure (pleasure) and recreation and subjects for conversation were easily found.  Part of the first day on board is spent in making preparation for a comfortable voyage. The cabin assigned to you is thoroughly examined, trunks are opened, a place is selected at the dining table, the waiter of your particular table is promised a fee if he is attentive to you, the acquaintance of the cabin steward and stuardess is made, the ship is examined from stem to stern, a good sheltered place is found on the upper deck for the ship-chair that every passenger must provide for himself, some time is spent in thinking of the dreaded sea sickness till the thought of it almost makes you sick and thus the time passes.
    Among the most interesting characters on board were a party of 28 deaf mutes nearly all of whom are teachers in the deaf mute schools in our country.  They were conducted by the Rev. Thos. Gallandet, D. D., of New York, and were on their way to Paris to attend the international congress of deaf mutes, on July 10.  Dr. Gallaudet is not a deaf mute but has devoted his whole life to these unfortunate people, and has been for a number of years pastor of St. Ann's church for deaf mutes in New York. He is a most genial gentleman of perhaps 65 years of age, and having become quite well acquainted with him, I learned much concerning this class of unfortunate people.  The first school for deaf mutes was opened in Hartford, Conn., in 1815, by the Rev. Thos. Hopkins Gallaudet, a graduate of Yale, class of 1800, and from this coming sprang all the deaf mute schools in the United States.  Rev. T. H. Gallaudet married one of his first pupils, and although 6 children were born unto them, they all have all their faculties.  The Rev. Thos. G. took up the work of teaching the deaf mutes after his father's death and has devoted his whole life to it.  He also married a deaf mute and his oldest son, Rev. S. M. Gallaudet, followed his father's example. The mother's infirmities have in no case been transmitted to their children.  There are about 40,000 deaf mutes in the United States, and besides having a home in every state, they maintain a college in Washington, D. C., in which the requirements for graduation are about the same as in Eureka College.  This summer a beautiful monument, paid for by contributions from the deaf mutes of America, was erected to the memory of Thos. H. Gallaudet in Washington City.  The statue is of bronze, of heroic size and represents the Dr., at the age of 25, teaching little Alice Coggswell, his first pupil, the first letter of the manuel alphabet.  The little child is nestled close to her teacher, her head resting affectionately on his shoulder, while her eyes gaze tustingly in his, as her hand follows the motions he makes. This company of deaf mutes were amoung the jolliest passengers on board of our steamer.  They communicated thoughts to each other with remarkable rapidity and clearness

(remainder column 5 is missing)

Column 6

their cheeks are no more rosy, they lose interest in the beauty, sublimity and grandeur of the boundless, restless ocean; as the ship rises and falls, rocking hither and thither, their hands alternately caress their foreheads and stomachs until suddenly they seem to remember that they must look at something in the bottom of the sea. They rush to the outward railing tenderly bend over it, feed the little fishes for a time and return to their chair, ready to repeat the opertion in a few minutes.  In fact, they are sea-sick, they have that dreadful harmless diseases of which so much has been written and for which no remedy has yet been found. All who are attacked are ashamed of it and are very secretive while paying tribute to Neptune, perhaps because neither sympathy nor pity is lavished on the sea-sick by those who are not attacked. The patients suffer dreadfully, many of them becoming so weak and sick that they do not again leave their state rooms till they land, yet they are only laughted at. The sea is as pitiless as the passengers. An hour or two of absolute calm would restore them to their normal condition, but the waves come rolling on in quick succession, the ship heaves and groans and the poor passengers do the same. The constant desire to throw up, even when the stomach is absolutely empty, is so distressing and painful that during the first day, the victims are afraid that they will die and during subsequent days, they are afraid that they will not. All sea-sick persons resolve that they will never again make an ocean voyage and all of them forget this resolution as soon as they land, they frequently assure you that they were only slightly indisposed, that they had eaten something that did not agree with them and that a trip across the ocean is a delightful journey. To those who escape sea-sickness, a voyage across the sea is indeed sublime and restful. Whether calm or stormy, placid or agitated the ocean is alwys majestic and fills the soul with reverence toward Him who created it and without whose knowledge not a person on board could be harmed.
     Toward evening of the first day out, the wind freshened up a little and the ship rocked considerble during the night (.....torn...) Lordsday morning June 30th. While we were eating, the Captain announced that religious services would be held in the main saloons at 11:30 and all were invited to attend. About half the passengers were present at the appointed time. The service was after the Episcopal form and conducted by the Captain who announced "Rock of Ages" as the opening hymn, all joining heartily in the singing, then followed: Reading of the 1st Chap. of Ruth; Reading of a prayer from books handed to all who were present. - Song, "Nearer my God to Thee"; Reading of 11th Cap. of John. Reading a prayer in concert -- Doxology, Then a collection was taken up for the benefit of the Sailor' Orphans' Home in Liverpool and the congregation dismissed. The Captain seemed to be much interested in the service and the worshipers were deeply impressed by the solemnity of the occasion. After we had been dismissed I went on deck and meeting one of the officers, a broad-shouldered red-headed Scotchman, I asked him if another service woud be held in the eveing. His answer was, "No, by --, once a day is enough."

(Remainder Column 6 is missing) .

Column 7

called "smoking room", which was in fact a drinking and a gambling room, remaining there from early in the morning till late at night, hardly finding time to east and sleep.  Large sums of money were los and won, many a poor dupe parting with the bank-notes that were to pay his way during the summer vacation in Europe. Several young men drank so much that the stewards had to carry them to their state rooms in the small hours of the night.
    Each day, precisely at noon, the captain makes observations to determine our location and to calculate the distance traversed in the last 24 hours. The result of these observations, indicating latitude, longitude and distance, is posted in a conspicuous place and the passengers mark the exact spot on an ocean-map with which all are provided. Watches are also set to true time; since we are traveling east, we are gaining on the sun, consequently our time is slow and must be rectified each day. The difference amounted to 35 or 45 minutes, according to the run we had made.
  During the fourth day out, we passed near the banks of New Foundland and out of the Gulf Stream. The change was quite perceptible. Up to this time, the water had been deep blue, almost black, the atmosphere mild, the sunshine warm; not the water became grayish, the sky cloudy, the temperature fell at least 20 degrees and the cold northwest winds drove most of the passengers into the cabins; overcoats were in demand and were not again discarded till we reached the other shore.
    The 4th of July was a "red letter" day.  We were just about in mid-ocean, 1700 miles from N.Y. and 1600 miles from Liverpool, but, although far from home, we did not leave our patriotism in America.  We were full of it and early in the day, preparations were made for a grand celebration.  The Captain cheerfully granted the use of the dining and music rooms for the celebration and ordered the chief steward to have the ship decorated.  When the rooms were thrown open at 8:30 p.m., the scene was really enchanting.  The walls, pillars and ceilings had been almost completely covered with the flags of all civilized nations, the stars and strips and the Union Jack predominateing.  A rostrum for the speakers had been erected and a blaze of electric-light showed all the arrangements to good advantage. Judge W. H. Barnum of Chicago, who had been requested to preside delivered a ringing address. The second speach was made by Hon. J. K. Bailey of New York, then Mr. H. G. Bishop of Albany N.Y. recited a humorous poem.  Next came a piano solo by Lady Dormer (we had a live lord and lady on boeard.)  (...can't read...) by a young, eloquent, witty Irishman, the Rev. F. W. Clampitt of Springfield, Ill.  He captivated the entire audience and was heartily applauded. Dr. Atterbury of N. Y. and Father Donnelly, an eminent catholic priest of Washington D. C. also delivered addresses and an improvised glee-club sand patriotic airs after each speach, the audience joining in the refain. The exercies closed by singing "God Save the Queen" and "My Country t'is of Thee".

(Remainder column 7 is missing.)


Back to Woodford County Illinois History and Genealogy