Washburn Churches - past and present
German Evangelical Church One Of Earliest (Washburn Leader - April
Earliest available information regarding the German Evangelical church of
Washburn, the congregation of which has long since been disbanded, is that the
church edifice was built in 1877. It is now the home of Mrs. Fred C.
During its lifetime it was served by Pastors Donner, Wilman, Egle, Ehler,
Barth and Schultze. At its abandonment by the Evangelical congregation the
church was used for a time by the Holiness congregation, and a number of the
Evangelical people continued to worship with those of the Holiness faith. Others
affiliated with the various other churches of the town.
Fifty years ago Rev. George Barth was the pastor and upon the church records
were Mr. and Mrs. Anton Shafer, their family, George, John, William, their
daughter, now Mrs. Kate Shafer Ehringer, Charles, now of Detroit, Michigan, Mrs.
Lylia Shafer Cochran, Henry, Benj., Mrs. Mary Shafer Truckenmiller.
Fred Ehringer, Sr., Anton Ehringer, John Immel and family, John Scahell and
family, Mrs. Anna Grass Aicher, Mrs. Anna Shultz, Fred and John Klinger and
their families, August Cross and Henry Dikleman.