Pliny Hoagland, the fifth son of Moses and Elizabeth Hoagland, was born near New Philadelphia, Ohio, July 31, 1810. His father was a farmer, and when Pliny was fourteen years of age the family moved to a farm in Holmes county, near Millersburg, Ohio. He studied and commenced civil engineering and was stationed on the Sandy & Beaver canal, now mostly occupied by railroads, passing through Columbiana, Carrol and Stark counties, Ohio. From thence he was transferred, in 1838, to the Wabash & Erie Canal, a state improvement of Ohio, and stationed at Toledo and Maumee City.
He was married to Merica, second daughter of Dr. John and Elizabeth Taylor Evans, at Fort Wayne, September 9, 1844. Mrs. Hoagland died in 1861. He remained in the service of the State of Ohio as an engineer until he fall of 1845, when he moved to Fort Wayne and started in the mercantile business with his brother-in-law, S. Cary Evans. Quitting this he engaged in produce trade with E. Nichols, and afterwards milling with J. L. Williams, and C. Tresselt to present date, Mr. Williams retiring from the firm in ___.
In 1851 Mr. Hoagland, Judge Samuel Hanna, and others, organized the Ohio & Indiana railroad company to build from Crestline to Fort Wayne, connecting with the Pennsylvania & Ohio railroad at Crestline. In the fall of 1853 the company were short of funds, and Mr. Hoagland and Judge Hanna effected a private loan – on their own responsibility – with which they continued the work that winter. Mr. Hoagland often spoke of it as the hardest struggle he ever experienced. The first passenger coach ran into Fort Wayne, November 1, 1854. The road from Fort Wayne to Chicago was continued and completed in 1859.
In 1856 the charter of the Indiana State Bank expired and was rechartered under the name of Bank of the State, a branch organized here by Mr. Hoagland, Mr. Hugh McCulloch; and others, with Mr. McCulloch as president and Mr. Hoagland as one o the directors. This bank was converted into the Fort Wayne national bank in 1865 with the late C. D. Bond as vice-president, which office he held at the time of his death. During the fall of 1856 Mr. Hoagland was elected by the Democrats to the legislature; afterwards in the fall of 1862 to the senate for four years, but after serving one session resigned.
In 1859 he was elected cemetery trustee, holding the office at the time of his death.
In 1866 he was elected director of the G. R. & I. railroad company, the road being completed from Grand Rapids to Fort Wayne in 187_.
In 1871 he became director of the Cincinnati, Richmond & Fort Wayne road, which was completed in 1873.
In 1868 Mr. Hoagland was appointed school trustee, which office he held with O. P. Morgan, Dr. John Irwin and A. P. Edgerton, Dr. Irwin's successor till 1880.
He had been confined to his apartments since Saturday, and Thursday about 2 p.m., while still in bed, after partaking of refreshments, he called his daughter hastily to him, and in a short time passed away, surrounded by his two daughters and intimate friends.