WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP AND NASHVILLE
BROWN COUNTY INDIANA
JESSE BROWN, farmer, is a native of Illinois, was born July 24, 1855, and is a son of John and Keturah A. Brown, the latter a native of Illinois, and both of English descent. John Brown received a limited education in youth in this State, whither he was brought in early life. He remained at home until his marriage, followed farming in Illinois after that event, but soon returned to Indiana, remaining in this State until his death in 1859. Jesse Brown was only four years old when his father died, and was obliged to depend on himself for education and livelihood as soon as able to acquire the same. In 1878, he engaged in the slave business, which he is yet carrying on. April 21. 1881, he married Mary W. Stull, a native of Ohio, with an issue of the following children: Ambrose Marting and Mary Alvie. Mr. Brown has upward of 900 acres, with the finest barn in the county, .various improvements and considerable stock, all self acquired, he having begun life dollar less. He is a Republican in politics, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and an influential, respected citizen.
WILLIAM WESLEY BROWNING, editor of the Brown County Democrat, was born in Lawrence County. Ind., July 1, 1881, and is the eldest of the nine children of Amasa and Mary (Winfrey) Browning, natives of Tennessee, and of English extraction. W. W. Browning was reared to farming, and attended the public schools, from which he learned sufficient to become a teacher. After his majority, he was engaged in mercantile business at Heltonville and at Smithville for about four years. In 1855-56, he studied law under ex-Gov. Dunning, of Bloomington; then removed to Bedford, practiced one year, and March 4, 1858, came to Nashville. Was a partner with Hon. James G. Hester, who was elected Judge in 1873. Mr. Browning continued the law until November 1, 1883, when he began work in the Clerk's office of this county. June 11, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Twenty second Indiana Regiment; was through the Missouri campaign, took typhoid fever and came home. In the spring of 1862, he enlisted 500 men, and was elected Captain of Company D, in the Eighty second Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry; was injured by an exploding shell at the battle of Resaca, soon after which he resigned. In 1870, he was elected Representative of this and Jackson County in the General Assembly, and was tendered the same in 1872, but refused. He has been a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church sixteen years, for four of which he was an itinerant He is now Deputy Clerk and editor of the Democrat. Mr. Browning has been twice married, his first wife being Lucinda Dayton, who died April 23, 1878, leaving one child. July 1, 1878, he wedded Martha M. Watkins. Mr. Browning was Prosecuting Attorney of the Ninth Judicial District in 1874.
JOHN B. CALVIN, dealer in hardware, furniture, undertakers' supplies, etc., was born in this county February 15, 1855, and is the eighth of the nine in family of Timothy D. and Mary (Middleton) Calvin, the former a native of Ohio, the latter of Indiana, and respectively of English and Irish descent. Timothy D. Calvin moved hither in 1854, and followed the tanning business for a number of years. John B. Cal­vin worked alike on the farm and in the tan yard until he reached manhood, when he engaged in the harness business with his brother on a joint capital of $100. The business grew so fast, however, they were compelled to build a larger place to house their increasing stock, and now they have one of the best stores in the county. January 28, 1878, he married Miss Carisadie Reddick, which union was graced by two children, only one of whom lived to be named, Dennis J. (born May 17, 1882). Mr. Calvin is a stanch Democrat in politics, but withal an amiable gentleman and honored citizen; also a practical business man and successful merchant.
JOHN W. CARTER, teacher, was born May 29, 1851, in Belmont County, Ohio, and is the fourth in the family of Ephraim and Nancy (Willison) Carter, the former a native of New Jersey, the latter of Pennsylvania, and respectively of Scotch and German extraction. John W. came to this county with his parents when two years old. Here he was reared, and here they made their home, where he remained until he became of age, at which period he attended the Central Normal School at Danville, and later that at Valparaiso, which fitted him to be a teacher, which profession he entered upon in 1871, in Morgan County. He has taught nine terms in this county, and is an energetic and efficient instructor. During summer he assists his father in his farm work, and is a good manager and agriculturist. He is politically a Democrat, a pub­lic-spirited, influential citizen, and one of the coming men of this portion of the commonwealth.
ISAAC CHAFIN, County Recorder, is a native of this county, was born October 11, 1849, and is the sixth of eight children born to James and Sarah (Hall) Chafin, both natives of Kentucky, who moved hither about 1843, remained a short time, then moved to Missouri, and came again to this county, where Mr. Chafin died about 1853. Isaac Chafin was reared as a farmer, attended the common schools, and one year at Clear Springs, after which he commenced teaching. February 14, 1878, he married Miss Mary C. Woods, a native of this county, and to them have been born three children, John B., Herma E. and Sarah I. Mr. Chafin is owner of a good farm, one best adapted to stock raising, but making a comfortable home. He has also some property in Nashville. He is a Democrat; was elected Recorder of this county in 1876, and re-elected in 1880. He is a public spirited and liberal citizen; also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and Mrs. Chafin is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
ABRAHAM T. CLARK, farmer, was born in Fayette County, Penn., November 9, 1818, and is a member of the family of Enos and Anna Clark; the former a native of Maryland, the latter of Pennsylvania. Abraham T. Clark acquired a good education in his birth State, and when nineteen years' of age moved with his father to Ohio, and afterward traveled through several States and Territories. At the age of thirty two, he married Miss Jane, daughter of Edward and Jane Broom, and a native of Ohio, and by this union were produced ten children, of which number are living six sons and one daughter. Mr. Clark has been a member of the Board of Education and Justice of the Peace. In 1858, he came to this county, and purchased a farm in this township, where he now resides in comfort and independence. He is a Master Mason, of lodge 135, and an esteemed and trusted citizen.
Benjamin Clark is a native of this county, came into this life November 6, 1863, a son of Abraham T. Clark, and engaged in saw milling in the eastern part of this township, having one of the best mills of the county, and doing a large business. He is an advocate of Democracy and temperance, and among the most prominent young men of the county.
JUDGE RICHARD L. COFFEY was born in Monroe County, Ind., May 7, 1835. He is the eldest son aDd the fourth child of the seven children born to Lewis and Harriette E. (Powell) Coffey, natives of North Carolina. He was reared on a farm three miles west of Ellettsville, and received the rudiments of his education in the district schools. In the fall of 1850, he entered Franklin College, at Franklin, Ind.. studied two years; then clerked for Helton & Dodds, general merchants of Bloomington, Ind. From the fall of 1853 to the fall of 1854, he taught school in Owen County, and in November, 1854, married Margaret, daughter of Lorance Lytton, a pioneer of Spencer, Ind. To this union was born one child, Annie E. He then farmed in Monroe County until the death of his wife, which occurred in January, 1857. Soon after this event he traded his farm for land in Iowa; at once went there; remained a short time, and then went to Gentry County, Mo., where he taught school one term, returning to Monroe County, Ind., and teaching during the winter of 1857-58. In the spring of 1858, he entered the law office of Gov. Paris C. Dunning; was admitted to the bar in the fall of the same year; entered the Law Department of the State University, and graduated March 1, 1859. He immediately went back to Gentry County, Mo.; taught school until the spring of 1861, and then entered upon the practice of law in what was known as Smithville, Mo., where he was soon appointed Commissioner of Worth County, to settle the affairs between it and Gentry County, the two having just been divided. In the fall of 1861, he returned to Owen County and taught school until the spring of 1864, when he married Martha F., daughter of E. F. Faulkner. During the winter of 1864-65, he taught school in Nashville, and also entered in legal practice. In the spring of 1865, his wife died. December 7, 1865, he married Julia M., daughter of Dr. William M. and Lucy J. Mason, early settlers of Nashville. By this marriage, he became the father of four children, William, J. Hill, Lucy and Richard. He was shortly appointed by Gov. Baker Common Pleas Judge of the district composed of Shelby, Johnson, Morgan, Monroe and Brown Counties, to fill the vacancy occasioned by the resignation of Judge Wollen; at the general election, in 1870, was elected, and in 1872 re-elected to fill said office, which he filled until it was abolished by the Legislature. In 1878, he was elected Senator for the district composed of Brown and Bartholomew Counties; served four years, and then resumed the practice of the law. In 1876, he was commissioned, by Gov. Hendricks, Marshal, in and for the Third Congressional District, Indiana, and charged with the duties required by an act entitled " An act to provide for electing Electors for President and Vice President of the United States," approved May 20, 1852. He also served as a member of the State Democratic Central Committee, from June, 1870, to June, 1872. He is at present Town School Trustee, and has filled the position eight years. While Senator, in 1879, he was on the following committees: Elections, Organization of Courts, Banks, Phraseology (Chairman), Arrangement. Enrollment of Bills, Unfinished Business, and also on the Joint Standing Committee on Enrolled Bills; in 1881, on Organization of Courts, Banks, Federal Relations, Bights and Privileges of the Inhabitants of the States, and on Legislative Apportionment. Judge Coffey is a Freemason, an Odd Fellow, and a member of the Presbyterian Church.
GEORGE W. CORNELIUS was born December 29, 1838, in Wayne County, Ind., and is the third of the ten children of Benjamin and Letitia (Wilson) Cornelius, the former a native of Virginia, the latter of Kentucky, and both now deceased. George W. Cornelius was reared on a farm, obtained a fair education, and, with his parents, came to this county in 1856. February 13, 1861, he married Miss Susan J. Pogue, a native of this county. In 1876, Mr. Cornelius moved to Nashville, was elected. Trustee of Washington Township, and re-elected in 1878. In 1879, he commenced the mercantile business, in which he is yet engaged, and also is Treasurer of the School Board. He is owner of eighty acres, some town property, and a half interest in a drug and grocery store with T. D. Calvin. Mr. Cornelius is a liberal Democrat and a valued citizen.
Timothy D. Calvin was born June 28, 1858, in this county, a son of Timothy D. and Mary (Middleton) Calvin, the former a native of Ohio, the latter of Illinois. Our subject grew to manhood in this town, attended school - at Bloomington and Terre Haute, and has taught eight terms of school in this county. November 14, 1880, he purchased a drug store, where he keeps a good line of general wares. In 1879, he began a hardware store with his brother, but sold his interest to his father afterward, and devotes his energies and time to his present business. November 19,1880, he married Miss Linda Ferguson, from which alliance has sprung two children, Notie and Otis W. Mr. Calvin has a cozy farm of forty acres, also a good town property. He is a Democrat and a worthy citizen ; Mrs. Calvin is a member of the M. E. Church.
WILLIAM L. COX, attorney at law, was born July 28, 1838, in Monroe County, Ind., and is the second son of John B. and Barbara (Ledgerwood) Cox, natives of East Tennessee. John B. Cox was born in 1812, moved to Monroe County in 1828, and is now residing in Benton Township. He is owner of 280 acres ; is a Missionary Baptist minister since 1838, and has preached in this and adjacent counties. He was married a second time, the bride being Miss Martha Moser, with an issue of ten children. William L. Cox was reared a farmer, attended school and became a teacher; afterward attended college at Bloomington for one year, and in 1864 began his studies in law with W. H. Bainbridge, and was the same year appointed school examiner, in the intervening time continuing the study of law. September, 1867, he resigned his position and was elected Clerk of the Circuit Court of this county, re-elected in 1870, and held the same until 1875, when he engaged in practice as a lawyer, making probate and civil cases a specialty. October 18, 1866, he married Miss Parmelia Bartholomew, which onion produced four son, George W., Nathaniel D., William Fuller and an infant. Mr. Cox is a member of the Masonic Order up to the Royal Arch, a Democrat, and he and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
WILLIAM DAY, grocer and Trustee of Washington Township, was born January 27, 1838, in Delaware County, Ohio, and is the first son of Cresley and Celinda (Reynolds) Day, both natives of Ohio and now deceased. William Day was reared to farming, which he followed in his birth State, and in 1873, located near Nashville. October, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Sixty fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, served three years and three months, and was at Shiloh, Perryville and Stone River, where he received a flesh wound in the shoulder. Rejoining his regiment, he fought at Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, Dalton, Resaca, and the Atlanta campaign, being discharged December 15, 1864. October 15, 1865, he married Miss Viola A. Serels, which union was crowned by five children, Nettie B., Ettie D., Eva J., Ellie M. and Neoma A. November, 1882, he moved to this town and engaged in his present business, in which he has a good trade, carries a large stock and has & been very successful. Mr. Day is a member of the G. A. R., of the Republican party; was elected Trustee of Washington Township in 1880r and is an upright, esteemed citizen. Mr. and Mrs. Day are members of the Christian Church.
JOHN DEIST, farmer, is a native of Germany, was born February 14, 1833, whose parents were Conrad and Mary S. Deist, both of them natives of Germany and of German extraction. Conrad Deist was engaged on a farm until 1814, at which time he became a soldier in the wars of that period between France and his native land, part of the service being spent on land as a husbandman. He was mainly a herder, and died January 3, 1872, aged seventy seven, a member of the Reformed Church, as was his wife. John Deist obtained a good education in the fatherland, remained at home until he was twenty, when he emigrated to New York, remained two years, moved to Wheeling, W. Va., thence to Ohio, where he lived for ten years, and finally to this county, where he purchased a farm and still resides. February 25, 1857, he married Elizabeth Claus, a native of Pittsburgh, Penn., by which union they were given one son and three daughters. Mrs. Deist left the world April 7, 1862. After this event Mr. Deist wedded Louisa C. Faber, of Ohio, which union was honored by three sons and four daughters, of whom Henry C. Deist is one of the ablest of the county's teachers. Mr. Deist is a Democrat, has served as County Commissioner, and he and lady are members of the Presbyterian Church.
ALEXANDER DUNCAN, farmer, is a native of Stokes County, N. C.; was born January 29, 1815, the son of Alamanda and Susanna (Vaughn) Duncan, natives respectively of Virginia and North Carolina. The father of our subject learned the occupation of shoe-making, and followed the same forty years, but after marriage he engaged in farming and so continued until his decease. Our subject worked for his father on the farm until he was united in wedlock, which event took place November 17, 1837, the bride being Sarah F. Reddick, a native of the " Old North State." To this union were granted fourteen children, of whom two sons and eight daughters are living. In 1839, he moved to this State, and remained some time in Fayette County; then moved to Marion County, where he resided twenty years, and thence to this county, March 23, I860, where he purchased a farm and made a home. Mr. Duncan is a time honored member of the Freemasons, and one of the oldest citizens of the county toward which he has done so much. He is now in his seventieth year, and a greatly esteemed citizen.
HON. W. O. DUNCAN is a son of Alexander Duncan and Sarah F. Dun­can, both of whom are still living at their old home, six miles southwest of Nashville, in Brown County, Ind. Both the father and mother were born, reared and married in North Carolina; after this marriage they removed to Indiana, settling for a time in Fayette County; soon thereafter they removed to Marion County, where W. C. Duncan was born on the 24th of June, 1851, and is the ninth child in a family of fourteen children, consisting of five boys and nine girls. On the 23d of March, 1860 with his father's family, he came to Brown County and settled upon a farm six miles southwest of Nashville. Here he was brought up in habits of industry, honesty and frugality. He early evinced a desire for knowledge, and obtained the rudiments of a good education in the common schools, as taught in District No. 11, of Washington Township. He commenced teaching in the common schools of the' county at the age of eighteen, and continued to teach and labor upon the farm until the 24th of June, 1871, when, having accumulated enough money to pay his way for a considerable time in school, he was examined and admitted to the Freshman class in the Indiana State University at Bloomington. He attended college regularly for more than two years, until, after entering and attending one term of his junior year, he was again compelled to seek employment as a teacher to supply himself with the necessary funds to further prosecute his studies. But while out of college he continued to study, and before the end of the year returned, and with his class passed examination, and entered the Senior class. Graduating in 1875, for one year he engaged in teaching, and returned in 1876, and entered the Law Department But in the winter of 1877, he again taught school for a term. In the spring of 1877, he re-entered upon the study of his chosen profession, the law, in the office of Richard L. Coffey, in Nashville. Here he continued until the winter of 1878, when he entered upon the practice, in partnership with W. W. Browning, at Nashville. On the 23d day of April, 1878, he was nominated by the Democracy of the Ninth Judicial Circuit for Prosecuting Attorney for the counties of Bartholomew and Brown, and in October following was elected to that office, and entered upon his duties on the 22d day of October, 1879. During most of his term of office he resided in Bartholomew County, and became largely and favorably known to the people of that county. In November, 1881, after the expiration of his term of office, he again resumed regular practice at Nashville, and on the 17th of June, 1882, he was nominated by the Democrats of Bartholomew, Brown and Monroe, as a candidate for State Senator, and after one of the most heated campaigns ever known, was in the fall of that year elected State Senator, and was a member of the Legislature of 1883, in which he distinguished himself by his industry, courage and integrity. His votes will all be found consistently in favor of a strict construction of the constitution; of the largest amount of personal liberty of the citizens consistent with the public good; of liberal support of the State's great charities and benevolent institutions and universities, and other educational facilities. He was likewise always found a? earnestly opposing jobs, schemes, subsidies and all repressive legislation. Although next to the youngest member of the Senate of 1883, he was accorded recognition as one of the most determined and energetic members of that body. Mr. Duncan is the senior member of the firm of Duncan & Percifield, now engaged in the practice of law at Nashville. On July 26, 1880, he was married to Jennie Buskirk, a daughter of Michael Buskirk, now of Clay County, Ind. Two little girls, Edith and Jessie, have been born of this union. Mr. Duncan claims for himself nothing bat the ability and willingness to work with devoted energy for whatever cause he may es­pouse. He is the architect of his own fortune, and is in every sense a self made man. He is a man of strong convictions and firm friendship. If at times he appears reticent and unwilling to express his preferences, it is not because he lacks courage or convictions. He always abides his time. He never fritters away his opportunities. Mr. Duncan is now but thirty two years of age, and few men so young have accomplished so much as he, or seen so much of life and honor.
WILLIAM GEARY, miller, first saw the light of earth in this county; was born June 20, 1854, and is a sod of Josephus and Betsey (Stump) Geary, both natives of Kentucky, and respectively of English and En­glish-Irish descent. Mrs. Betsey Geary is yet living, aged fifty seven, and a devoted member of the Christian Church. William Geary received a very limited education in boyhood, and when fourteen years of age he commenced working in a mill, and in this occupation he has since been engaged. March 20, 1879, he married Mary E. Shepherd, daughter of Richard and Sarah Shepherd, and a native of Belmont County, Ohio. As a result of this union, three children have been born to them, one son and two daughters. Mr. Geary is now operating a flouring mill and a saw-mill, and both very successfully. He is one of the leading citizens and representative men of the township.
CHARLES GENOLIN is a native "of this township; was born May 10, 1862, and is a son of John Genolin, of Marseilles, France, born 1812, who emigrated during boyhood to the United States, and August 10, 1840, married, in Connecticut, Elizabeth Clark, and they located in this county in 1851, where Mr. Genolin engaged in trade and died April 24, 1874. He was an affectionate father and husband, and a worthy cit­izen. Charles Genolin was reared to manhood in his birth town, and has been engaged in various branches of business, he having natural executive ability, and being a born merchant. With a small inheritance from his father's estate, he has made his way to a position of pride and prosperity. He is a member of the Democratic party and an active politician, a correspondent for several local newspapers, and is a promising young man with a cloudless future.
JOHN F. GENOLIN, M. D., is the fourth of the ten children of John and Elizabeth (Clark) Genolin, the former a native of France, the latter of Ireland, who located in this county in the early time, where Mr. Genolin was successfully engaged in the mercantile business until 1874, when he left the world; Mrs. Genolin now resides in Nashville. Dr. John F. Genolin was born in Nashville, Ind., July 18, 1854, where he attended school and assisted his father until his majority, at which time he entered the office of Dr. Phillips, at Nashville, and assiduously devoted himself to the study of medicine. Two years later, he entered the Vanderbilt Medical University, whence he graduated in 1877, with the ad eundem degree of doctor of medicine. He then opened an office in Nashville, and has continued the practice successfully, his consultation business being especially large. September 15, 1881, he married Miss Susie E. Walton, a native of Ohio, a marriage which gave issue to two children, Verna and an infant. Dr. Genolin is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and an uncompromising Republican. In 1880, he was commissioned Postmaster at Nashville, but resigned in 1882. He is an esteemed and honored citizen.
CHARLES GIBSON, merchant, is a native of Greene County, Tenn., and is the youngest of the four children of John and Elizabeth (Russell) Gibson, the former a native of Tennessee, the latter of North Carolina, and both of Irish extraction. John Gibson was a hero of the war of 1812. Charles Gibson first saw the world's light February 13, 1835, was reared to farming, began as a teamster when ten years of age, and followed the same until he was twenty three, having labored in North and South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia and Kentucky. September 17, 1857, he married Sarah E. Kelton, a native of Virginia. Eleven children hallowed their union, of which nine were named James D., William I., Alice, Ida M., Dora, Emma, Charlie, Clara and John. From 1858 to 1862, he was exclusively a farmer, but was then obliged to leave Tennes-- see. Mr. Gibson then moved hither and one year later brought his family; they located in Johnson and later in this county, where he farmed, and subsequently went into business in this town, having began the same with a cash capital of $50. Now he carries a $4,000 stock, and owns some good property. Mr. Gibson is a Freemason, is a Republican, has been School Trustee and Councilman, and was commissioned Postmaster December 18, 1882, which he now retains. Mr. and Mrs. Gibson are members of the Presbyterian Church.
WILLIAM GRIFFIN, farmer, was born in Decatur County, Ind., October 13, 1843, and is a son of David D. and Parmelia (Johnson) Griffin, the former a native of Indiana, the latter of Kentucky, and of English and German descent respectively. David D. Griffin remained with his parents until his marriage, December 14. 1841. After the death of his wife, in 1865, Mr. Griffin wedded Mary A. Rush; this lady also died, after which he was joined to Rebecca A. McElroy. He was a minister; took his death cause from exposure while holding meetings, and died December 7, 1883. William Griffin remained at home until his eighteenth year, when he entered Company C, Twenty second Indiana Volunteer Regiment; served four years, and was severely wounded. He married Miss Susanna, daughter of William K. Rogers, and a native of this county, to which union were decreed ten children. In connection with his fine farm of upward of 350 acres, he is largely interested in handling stock. Be is a Republican by political preference, a liberal and enlightened citizen, and he and Mrs. Griffin are members of the Christian Church.
ELIAKIM HAMBLEN, farmer, was born October 22, 1832, in Hamblen Township, of what was known as Bartholomew, now a part of Brown County, Ind., and is the eldest of eight, in the family of Jesse and Rachel (Hamblen) Taggart, the former a native of Virginia, the latter of Tennessee, both of Irish extraction. Jesse Hamblen came to this region about 1825, and after marriage settled where he now resides. The grandfather of our subject, Eliakim Hamblen, was the first Representative in the State Legislature from this county, in 1838. Our subject was reared to farming, and received a primitive education, and remained at home until he was twenty four years old, after which he made a beginning in life, which has so far been prosperous. May 31, 1855, he married Miss Elizabeth Musser, which has given being to two children, Rachel and Caroline. Mr. Hamblen is owner of 670 acres, most of which is choice land, making a very comfortable possession. He is a Democrat, and was elected Clerk of the court of this county, in 1874; re-elected in 1878, and has held various offices besides. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he and wife are adherents of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
HAMBLIN – Miss Armilda was born in Brown co, Ind, 19 Mar 1862. She died at the residence of her father, Jesse Hamblin, 6 Dec 1877. – JD Reese
(Source: The St. Louis Christian Advocate; Compiled and Published by Mrs. Howard W. Woodruff, C.G.R.S.; Obituaries, July 1877 – Dec. 1879; 26 Dec. 1877; transcribed by Kim Mohler)
CASTER V. HARRISON, a leading county instructor, was born February 23, 1856, in Bartholomew County, Ind., the ninth of the twelve children of Carter and Julia A. (St. Clair) Harrison, natives of Kentucky. Carter Harrison moved to Bartholomew County in 1839; he resides in Harrison Township. In 1867, his wife died, and he wedded Barbara Matson, by which union they had seven children. Carter Y. Harrison was reared and grew to man's estate on a farm, received a good public and normal school education, and is now teaching his ninth term, with satisfaction to the counties of Brown and Bartholomew and credit to himself. December 25, 1879, he married Miss Roselpha A. Young, to which union were born two children, Arnetta J. and Bertha L. Mr. Harrison is a Democrat in political conviction, an energetic gentleman, and a useful citizen. He moved to this county in 1880, to Nashville in 1883, and was chosen Deputy Auditor in June of that year. Mr. and Mrs. Harrison are members of the church, he of the Christian and she of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
STEPHEN A. KENNEDY, farmer, is a native of East Tennessee; was born October 17, 1826, and is the second of eleven children born to John D. and Mary K. (Alexander) Kennedy, natives of East Tennessee, and of Scotch Irish extraction, who emigrated to this county in 1837, and here lived until overtaken by death, November 19, 1864. He was owner of 240 acres, and had served as County Assessor. Stephen A. Kennedy was a farmer's boy with high educational aspirations, which he accomplished sufficiently to teach a school. June, 1846, he enlisted in Company E, Third Indiana Volunteers, bound for Mexico under Capt. Taggart, and was absent twelve months; he was a participant at the battle of Buena Vista. On returning home he resumed farming, and was elected in 1856 and re-elected in 1858 Sheriff of this county, which position he retained until 1860, at which period he prepared to enter the service again. July 11, 1861, he enlisted in Company E. Twenty second Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and took part in the battles of Pea Ridge, Stone River, Mission Ridge and others, having been commissioned Second Lieutenant, as which he resigned April, 1864. In 1876, he was again elected Sheriff and re-elected in 1878. July 26, 1847, he married Susanna Taggart, and has had born to him seven children, James W., John E., Margaret E., William M., Patterson S. (deceased), Wesford L. (deceased) and Cordelia (deceased). Mr. Kennedy is an Odd Fellow, a Democrat and a Prohibitionist.
SAMUEL KENT, miller, is a native of Belmont County, Ohio, was born June 14, 1825, and is a son of John and Lovicia (Barker) Kent, both natives of Pennsylvania, the former of German, the latter of En­glish-Welsh descent. John Kent emigrated to Ohio and married, in Bel­mont County, where he farmed for a number of years, and in 1852 ended his days. He and Francis were members of the Christian Church. Samuel Kent was given the usual school education, and lived at home until he reached his majority. April 2j 1846, he married Miss Frances, daughter of Jacob and Martha Sill, and a native of Monroe County, Ohio, and to their union were decreed thirteen children. Mr. Kent had previously learned the millwright and milling business, and is now following the latter in company with one of his sons, Marion Kent, they owning the Kent Mill, one of the best in the county. Mr. Kent is a Republican, politically, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.
WESLY KIRTS, farmer, is a native of Hamblen Township, Brown Co., Ind., was born August 22, 1836, and is a son of James and Rachel (King) Kirts, the former a native of Tennessee, the latter of Kentucky, and both of German descent. Jame's Kirts was married in this State when eighteen years old, whither he had come some time before; purchased a farm in this county, of which he is an old settler. Wesley Kirts received a good school education, and remained with his parents on the home farm until his twenty third year. March 13, 1859, he married Elsie Jane Henderson, which union was honored by six children. Mr. Kirts is a practical farmer, owning 296 acres of land on Salt Creak, and in addition operates a saw mill, at which he has been engaged for two years, and had followed thrashing for twenty five years previously. He is a Democrat in politics, and an influential citizen and excellent business man. Mr. and Mrs. Kirts are members of the Southern Methodist Church.
THOMAS C. McGLASHAN, teacher, is a native of Noble County, Ohio, was born October 20, 1847, and is a son of James and Phebe (Fisher) McGlashan; the former a native of the Scotch Highlands, the latter of Pennsylvania. James McGlashan, when sixteen years old, went to Glasgow, where he learned the trade of a fuller and dyer; served three years and then moved to Edinburgh, where he remained until the age of twenty one, at which time he embarked for America, remained in New York a short time, then moved to Pittsburgh, traveling from Philadelphia on foot, where he worked at his trade some years; he then settled in Ohio, followed his trade, and finally ended his days in Noble County in 1873; both he and wife were members of the Presbyterian Church. Thomas C. McGlashan attended the ordinary schools and also several normal schools, and commenced the business of teaching about 1863, taught twelve years, then came to this State, where he has steadfastly followed his profession. March 29, 1868, he married Miss Mathie J, daughter of John Johnson, and a native of West "Virginia. Three children have succeeded these nuptials, Lillie C, Frank and Mary E. Mr. McGlashan is a Democrat, a temperance advocate, and he and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
WILLIAM M MASON was born in Madison County, Ky., May 19, 1815, and when quite young, accompanied his father, Edwin, to Lawrence County, Ind. Edwin Mason's family consisted of himself, Nancy J. (his wife) and three children, William M. being the eldest child. There were also born to Edwin and Nancy J., in Lawrence County, ten children, making in all thirteen, seven boys and six girls. William M. Mason was reared a farmer. He married Lucy J. Clark in Washington County, Ind., September 5, 1836, at which time he was engaged in the grocery business, in Bedford, Ind., which he conducted .five years. In Bedford he studied medicine under his father-in-law, Dr. Alexander Clark, and under Dr. Winthrop Foot, and he there began practice. In 1840, he came to Nashville, where he had a successful practice, and was the second physician in the county. On the first Monday in December, 1846, he took his seat in the Thirty first General Assembly of Indiana, as Representative from Brown County. At the general election of 1848, he was elected Clerk of Brown County Circuit Court, for a term of seven years, and at the same time elected County Recorder for a like period. In 1855, he was re-elected for four years. After the expiration of his term of office, he practiced law until his death. At the time he came here the country was a vast wilderness, and his was the fourth family to settle in the town. They had to go twenty miles for groceries and other supplies, the different families taking turns in making the trip. In the year 1844, he erected a large two story frame building, and subsequently opened a hotel, which his widow is still conducting. He has born to him nine children, as follows: Emily (deceased), Julia M. (now Coffey), Volney (a Captain in the late war, now deceased), Edwin, Jane, James M., Martha L., "William A. and Hughes.
Hughes Mason, merchant, was born in Nashville, Brown County, Ind., October 16, 1858, and is the youngest of nine children of "William M. and Lucy J. (Clark) Mason, natives of Kentucky and Connecticut respectively. Our subject was reared in Nashville, where he obtained a good common school education. February 14, 1874, he embarked in life for himself; having natural business qualifications, he began the grocery business, on a capital of $260, $150 of which was borrowed. So attentive was he to business, and of such genial disposition toward customers, that he at once controlled a steadily increasing trade; he was soon compelled to extend his rooms, and with this larger room, his business so rapidly increased that he was enabled to add a stock of dry goods; not long after this he added hats and caps; then boots and shoes, and lastly, clothing. In the progress of his work, he gained the entire confidence of his many customers, and such was his trade that, in the fall of 1882, he was compelled to enlarge his capacity for goods, and hence built a large two story frame building, and to this he transferred his entire stock of general merchandise, having also rented a room for a stock of drugs. So rapidly did he increase his trade that, in the year of 1882, his sales amounted to $32,500, of which all started from a capital of $260. April 10, 1883, he was married to Miss Nora F. Johnson, a native of Spencer, Ind. Thus has Mr. Mason been the architect of his own fortune; the recipient of no gratuities, and it may be truthfully written of him that he is a self made, energetic, enterprising business manager, and success will inevitably crown his efforts wherever he goes.
SIMON P. NEEDIGH is a son of John Neidigh and Nancy Neidigh, whose maiden name was Nancy Stover. Both the father and mother are of German families. John Neidigh is a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1817. Nancy Neidigh was born in 1827, in the State of Maryland. While quite young and before marriage, both emigrated from their native States to the State of Ohio, where they became acquainted and were married. In 1841, they removed from the State of Ohio, and settled in what was then a wilderness, but where they now reside, near the center of Jackson Township, Brown County. It was upon the farm thus settled that the subject of this sketch was born on the 28th day of October, 1851, the second child in a family of eight children, consisting of four boys and four girls, all of whom are still living. It was here, upon a Brown County farm, that Simon P Neidigh was reared up amid sterling habits of industry, economy and integrity; which traits of character have followed him into manhood, and have been his chief agencies in making his life work a success. At the old precinct schoolhouse near by, in Jackson Township, he received the rudiments of a good English education, under all the trying difficulties which then beset a Brown County boy in pursuit of knowledge, such as short terms of school, and some years none, rude and uncomfortable schoolhouses, hard, backless benches and inefficient teachers. At the age of twenty years, he entered as a student in the high school at Bloomington, Ind., and pursued his studies with marked success for one year, qualifying himself to engage with unusual success in the profession of teaching, which he followed until he secured a competency to enable him to further pursue his studies, when he matriculated as a student at the Northern Indiana Normal at Valparaiso, Ind., where he continued to attend and alternately to teach until the spring of 1881, when he graduated at that institution with marked distinction. Immediately thereafter, he returned to his own county, and the Trustees of the various townships of Brown County, recognizing in him a thorough teacher and live educator, on the 6th of June, 1881, elected him to the office of County Superintendent of Schools. This office he filled with such general satisfaction to both teachers and parents that at the expiration of his first term in 1883, he was unanimously re-elected to the County Superintendency, which office he now holds. As the leading school officer of the county, he has manifested fine abilities as an executive officer and organizer of school "work. Both teachers and pupils have received the impress of his genius, and the standard of the common schools of Brown County has been elevated during his administration. He has organized, for. the benefit of teachers and schools, most excellent normal schools within their own county, conducted by the best educators in the county. He is practical in all things, speculative in nothing. These traits he has to some extent imparted to the teachers and the schools of the county. He is a man of great physical and moral courage; and he displays in his life and habits the strong, practical traits of character which distinguish his German ancestry. On July 17, 1883, Mr. Neidigh was married to Mary C. Hester, formerly wife of the late Judge James S. Hester (deceased), and a daughter of Alexander Duncan, of Brown County, Ind.
CHARLES M. PATTERSON, merchant, was born September 25, 1860, in Washington Township, Brown Co., Ind., and is the seventh son of Samuel and Eliza (Cable) Patterson, natives of Pennsylvania, and of English and German extraction respectively. Samuel Patterson moved hither from Ohio in 1848, and settled where he resides, on 160 acres. Charles M Patterson was reared on the home farm, but received a share of schooling, and when twenty years old attended the Nashville High School, and later at Bloomington for one term, his mother furnishing the means. He taught school at North Salem, Central Junction, and afterward located in this town, where, in 1882, he commenced the mercantile business with his brother. November 6, 1881, he married Miss Lucetta J. Downey, which union has been cemented by two children, Oliver T. (born April 25, 1882) and Dora C. (born March 7, 1884, deceased). Mr. Patterson and brother carry a full stock of the best goods, with large annual sales. They are practical and obliging business men, who merit, as they receive, the respect and patronage of their community.
MARTIN PHILLIPS, M. D., was a native of Rhode Island, was born December 5, 1835. and came to the end of his life March 8, 1880. August 12.1866, he was united in wedlock to Miss Louisa Higher, who left the world September 19, 1867; whereupon, March 26, 1868, he wedded Miss Sarah J. Hamblen, a native of this county, which union gave place to two children, Joseph B. (born March 12, 1869) and Ida F. (born August 19, 1871). Dr. Phillips was a graduate of the medical college at Nashville, Tenn., and was a devoted student and enlightened practitioner of his profession. His death resulted from a bronchial affection. He was a popular gentleman, a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a very generally lamented citizen. Mrs. Phillips has been engaged since April, 1883, in the hotel business, being the proprietress of a first class institution in all respects.
DR. ALFRED J. RALPHY was born March 28, 1855, and is the second of three children of John and Sarah (Jones) Ralphy, the former a native of London, Eng., born 1797, the latter of "Warwickshire, who emigrated to South Am erica with a colony in 1846, but, being dissatisfied with the country, moved to Cincinnati and remained until 1853, when he removed hither. He had served an apprenticeship to architecture and building, and was an organizer of the Mechanics' Relief and Aid Association. Alfred J. Ralphy was reared in Nashville, and commenced to work for himself when twelve years of age. He worked at the printing business for three years, and began teaching school when sixteen years old; he also clerked in a drug store and read medicine under Dr. Arnold S. Griffitt, afterward forming a partnership with him for one year, but now is in practice alone. Dr. Ralphy is solely a self made man, having mainly educated himself during youth; he attended the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery and the Kentucky School of Medicine at Louis­ville. June 12, 1878, he married Miss Addie Keller, a native of this county, to which union have been born two children, Clifford, and an infant, deceased. Dr. Ralphy is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a leading Democrat; he has a good, growing practice, and is a worthy citizen. Mrs. Ralphy is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
DANIEL STUKEY is a native of Monroe County, Ohio, was born July 10, 1835. and is a son of Joseph and Hannah (Brewer) Stukey, who were natives of Ohio, and of English descent. Joseph Stukey received a fair education, and afterward followed farming until his death, in 1852 a devoted member of the Christian Church. Daniel Stukey attended the schools of his boyhood, and when fifteen years of age he hired as a farm hand. October 25, 1855, he married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Michael and Priscilla More, to which union were born nine children, Mary C, Martha J., Emmer E., Elmer E., Erastus G., Hannah P., Daniel E., Emma F. and Lula A, of whom Miss Emmer E. is a prominent schoolmistress of this county. June 25, 1863, Mr. Stukey enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty ninth Ohio Volunteer Regiment; served until March 4, 1864, and in the autumn of that year moved to this county and purchased the farm on which he has now his residence. Mr. Stukey is a radical Republican, a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, and he and wife are consistent members of the Christian Church.
WILLIAM P. STULL, farmer, is a native of Ohio, was born November 14, 1827, and is a son of Abraham and Barbara (Palmer) Stull, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and of German, the latter of Ohio, and of English descent. Abraham Stull emigrated to Ohio at an early age, married, remained there until 1852, when he removed to Bartholomew County, Ind., and purchased the farm, on which he lives with one of his sons, Mrs. Stall having died January 13, 1881, a member of the Baptist Church, as is her surviving .husband. William P. Stull received a good education in his native Ohio; remained with his parents until he was seventeen, when he engaged to learn cabinet making; served four years, and thereafter engaged in business for himself. January 24,1850, he married Mary A. Moring, a native of Ohio; to this union were born eleven children, of whom seven daughters survive, Campsadell A., Frances A., Rebecca J., Sarah Bell, Mary W., Cora B. and Nancy E. Mr. Stull remained in Ohio until 1857, when he emigrated to this township and engaged in farming. He is a Democrat, and he and Mrs. Stull are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
FRANK P. TAGGART, merchant, is the son of James and Jane (Weddel) Taggart, the former a native of North Carolina, born in 1801, the latter of Tennessee, born in 1804 Oar subject was reared to farming, but served an apprenticeship to blacksmithing, and when but fourteen years old assisted to build the first brick court house at Nashville. He followed his trade some time, and then engaged in the mercantile way as a salesman for Judge Hester, and afterward for Thompson & Bro. August 13, 1861, he enlisted in the Twenty second Indiana Regiment as one of the leaders of the band, being present at Pea Ridge, siege of Corinth, and several other battles. In June, 1862, he re-enlisted in Company K, One Hundred and Forty fifth Indiana Volunteers, and was commissioned Second Lieutenant. After the surrender of Lee he passed most of his time on detached duty, and was discharged February, 1866. May 13, 1860, he married Martha E. Seip, to which union have descended four children, Walter A., Patterson E., Ira W. and Estella. Mr. Taggart began his present business December, 1870, and has been uncommonly successful, having arranged to increase his stock and storeroom. He is a member of the Masonic body, of the G. A. R., of the Democracy, of the Prohibition party. He is a partner in the grocery and provision business of Gratton & Taggart, and also of the general store of Houston, Jackson & Co.
CAPT. T. TAGGART, M. D., was born December 28, 1846, near this town, and is the youngest of the eleven children of James and Jane Taggart, the former a native of North Carolina, the latter of Tennessee. James Taggart came to this region before the organization of Brown County, and was the first Sheriff thereof. In 1846, he organized Company E, of the Thirtieth Indiana Regiment, for service in the Mexican War, and was killed at Buena Vista February 23, 1847. Our subject was reared on a farm, where he remained until fifteen years of age, and June, 1862, enlisted for three months in the Fifty fifth Indiana Volunteer Regiment. He took part in the battle at Richmond, Ky., after which he re-enlisted for three years in the One Hundred and Twentieth Indiana Regiment, and was appointed principal musician, being present at the following engagements: Resaea, Stone Mountain, Kenesaw Mountain, Siege of Atlanta, Franklin, Nashville and Kingston. After the war, he engaged in mercantile business at Nashville, Ind.; this he sold in 1868, and commenced the study of medicine under Drs. Phillips and Selfridge; graduated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Indianapolis, in 1880, and opened practice at Mahalasville. On May 6, he moved to Nashville, and established his profession here. November 19, 1865, he married Emarine Williams, of this county, and to them were bestowed three children, Egbert B. (deceased), Lorena M and Alvey. Dr. Taggert is a member of the Freemasons, and Master of his lodge, also of Columbia Commandery and of the G. A. R. Mr. Taggart is a prominent Democrat, and has been Trustee of Washington Township.
THOMAS J. TAGGART, Sheriff of Brown County, was born December 15, 1.837; is a native of this county, and the sixth of the ten children of William and Sarah (Mullis) Taggart, the former a native of North Carolina, the latter of Tennessee, both of Irish descent, and both deceased. William Taggart came to what is now Brown County in 1826; married, entered land, cleared a farm and remained until his death. Thomas J. Taggart was reared on the home farm; remained with his parents until his majority. Except the last two years, he has followed farming, having now forty acres of good land, some building lots and a residence. September 27, 1860, he married Miss Evaline S. Strahl, a native of Ohio, and to this union have been born nine children, William T., Amanda E., Ida F., Hannibal P., Sanford L., Elizabeth A. J., Sarah L., John E. and Frank P. Mr. Taggart is an uncompromising Democrat, having given his first vote for S. A. Douglas. He was made Assessor of Hamblen Township in 1873, appointed Deputy Sheriff in 1878, elected Sheriff in 1882, and is a candidate for re-election.
THOMAS E. WARRING, M. D., is a native of Ghent, Ky., was born September 3, 1852, and is a son of Dr. John M. and Tabitha M. (Hopkins) Warring, natives of Kentucky, and of English descent. Dr. John M. Warring was for some years in early life engaged in teaching before he began the study of medicine, after which he attended and graduated from the Lexington Medical College, subsequently moved from Kentucky to Hancock County, Ind., and thence to Smithville, Monroe County, where he is living and following his profession. Dr. Warring is a member of the Christian Church, and Mrs. Warring was before her death, July 12, 1882. Thomas E. Warring entered the medical college at Keokuk, Iowa, after obtaining a good education, in the year 1877, completing his course in 1880, after which period he commenced practice at Kent's Mill, this township, where he is doing a profitable practice. June 12, 1881, he married Othilia Kleindorfer. Dr. Warring has been Justice of the Peace of Monroe County, is a Democrat in politics, and a prominent citizen and rising physician. Mr. and Mrs. Dr. Warring are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
REV. ROBERT J. WATTS was born October 29, 1848, near Nashville, Ind., and is the eighth of the eleven children of the family of Mason and Elizabeth (McClery) Watts; the former a native of Virginia, the latter of Kentucky, who emigrated to Decatur County, Ind., and thence to this county about 1847, where Mr. Watts died. Robert J. Watts was reared on a farm, received a fair school education, and when nineteen years old attended the Clear Springs High School, in Jackson County, Ind., after which he taught school and prepared himself to enter the State University, since which he has been Principal of the high school in Nashville. June 27, 1871, he married Miss Lizzie Gutbrie, a native of Ohio, with a result of three children, Everett W. (deceased), Ella M. and Alma L. In 1882, he commenced his labors in the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which he now devotes the larger portion of his time, and the prospect for his success and usefulness is very nattering. He is an extremely liberal Democrat, a worthy, Christian man, and an enlightened citizen.
JOHN S. WILLIAMS was born in this county November 1, 1849, and is the fifth of the ten children of Alfred and Nancy (Mathis) Will­iams. He attended the public schools of Nashville, and when eighteen years old commenced teaching, continuing the same until 1873, at which period he was elected Assessor; served four years, and thereafter engaged iii farming. November 7, 1882, he was elected County Auditor, which position he yet occupies. April 20, 1871, he married Sarah E. Woods, whose father, Jackson Woods, died a prisoner of war at Macon, Ga. Six children followed their union Eva, Alfred S., infant (deceased), John N., Jennie and an infant. Mr. Williams is a Democrat, a Patron of Husbandry, and he and wife belong to the Missionary Baptist Church. Alfred Williams, father of the above, was born in East Tennessee, November 6, 1822. His grandfather was a Revolutionary soldier, and had been several times made prisoner by the British; he died a pensioner in 1849, aged ninety five years. The father of our subject was a native of North Carolina; served as Second Lieutenant in the war of 1812; was at the battle of New Orleans; settled in Monroe County in 1825, and later in Brown County, Ind., of which he was appointed Treasurer before its organization, and elected afterward. Alfred Williams was made Assistant Surveyor of Brown County in 1854, elected in 1856, and reelected in 1858. He was elected Treasurer in 1862, and also a Legislative Representative of this county afterward, and finally Representative from Brown and Bartholomew Counties.