Genealogy Trails

Brown County, Indiana


Post Offices of Brown County

In 1837 the first Post Office was established in Brown County. Amos Kendall, U. S. Postmaster General, appointed Banner C. Brummett postmaster of a fourth class post office in Nashville on February 25, 1837. Mail was sent by stagecoach from Indianapolis to Columbus, Indiana. From Columbus it was sent on to Brown County. Mail was then distributed to the township post offices by horseback or cart. Post offices in Brown County were kept either in the local store or in the home of the current postmaster. Brown County was composed of five townships up until the time Lake Monroe was created. This shut off the southwest corner of the county, in 1966 Johnson Township was then split up between Washington and Van Buren Townships. Some of the locations where the old post offices in Johnson Township were located may now be in either of the other two townships. The need for so many small post offices ceased with the coming of the “Rural Free Delivery” system. The only two Post Offices still in operation are Nashville, the county seat, and Helmsburg. Click on the name of the township to see a list of the post offices and their postmasters.

 

HAMBLEN TOWNSHIP POST OFFICES & POSTMASTERS

JACKSON TOWNSHIP POST OFFICES & POSTMASTERS

JOHNSON TOWNSHIP POST OFFICES & POSTMASTERS

VAN BUREN TOWNSHIP POST OFFICES & POSTMASTERS

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP POST OFFICES & POSTMASTERS

 

Return To the Main Index Page