General Samuel Milroy.
ONE among the early and most prominent of the pioneers of the territory, out of which Carroll County was organized, was General Samuel Milroy, who was born August 14, 1780, in Kishakoquillas Valley, in Mifflin County, in the state of Pennsylvania. His grandfather, John M'Elroy, was the Earl of Annandale, in Scotland, a lineal descendant of Robert Bruce. He engaged heart and soul in the attempted revolution in Scotland, in 1744, in which Charles Stuart, the last heir to the throne of Scotland, sought to regain the kingdom of his ancestors from the English, but was terribly defeated by the Duke of Cumberland, at the battle of Culloden. His followers were proscribed and pursued without mercy. John M'Elroy, with his young wife, escaped to Ireland, and changed his name to Milroy, and, after a few years, emigrated to the American Colonies, and settled near Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and became a prosperous farmer. He had a family of two boys and three girls, and afterward was, with his eldest son, killed by the Indians. Henry, the surviving son, after arriving at maturity, married, and settled in Kishakoquillas Valley, Mifflin County. He had a family of four boys and two girls. Samuel, the subject of this sketch, was the third son, and when eleven years old, his father died. He was soon afterward apprenticed to learn the trade of carpenter and joiner. After the completion of his apprenticeship, in 1800, he set out the next year, in company with his elder brother John, to seek their fortunes. They came northwest to Lake Erie, where, by an act of the Legislature of Pennsylvania, land was to be donated to actual settlers, upon certain conditions. They located upon a claim of four hundred acres, near where the city of Erie now stands. After working on and improving their claim three years, keeping ''bachelor's hall," and undergoing much hardship and privation, on account of the newness of the country, by some kind of legislation and skulduggery among speculators, they lost their claim, which was taken from them, with all their labor and improvement.
After the loss of their land, in 1803, Samuel returned to Mifflin County. The same year he married Frances Alexander, and settled in Center County, Pennsylvania, following his trade until 1806, in which year his wife died, leaving two children, a daughter and a son. The daughter was the first wife of John Adams, who built the "Adams Mill," in Wild-cat, in this county. The son was Henry Bruce Milroy, who was the first sheriff of Carroll County, and well known to all our old citizens.
Soon after the death of his wife, Samuel left his two children in the care of his mother, and again set out with his brother John, to try their fortunes in the great West—then an almost unbroken wilderness. They came across the Alleghany Mountains on foot, carrying their knapsacks to Pittsburg—then a small town with a few hundred inhabitants, besides the soldiers in the fort. From Pittsburg, they descended the Ohio River on a flat-boat, partly paying and partly working their passage to Cincinnati—then a trading-post, probably as large as Camden, in this county. They remained in Cincinnati a few weeks, to recruit their finances. Samuel obtained work at his trade, and was very successful; but John tried in vain to procure employment at his business, that of surveyor; and having previously acquired expensive habits, in an attempt to play merchant for a year or two, and also having served as lieutenant, for a few years, in the idle standing army of the elder Adams, which was disbanded by the Administration of Jefferson, he proved rather an unprofitable companion to Samuel, whose earnings were spent nearly as fast as received, to relieve John from difficulties and prosecutions.
They left Cincinnati, with the intention of going to St. Louis, to which point they had intended directing their steps from the time of leaving Pennsylvania. The country through Indiana Territory being almost uninhabited, except in places along the Ohio River and on the Lower Wabash, they crossed over into Kentucky, and traveled by land down the Ohio River, intending to recross again somewhere below Louisville, and thence, by way of Vincennes, to St. Louis. But when opposite Bardstown, in Nelson County, Kentucky, in which county a large number of their old neighbors, acquaintances, and some relatives from Pennsylvania resided, John wished to turn south and go to Bardstown, about twenty-five miles distant, and enjoy themselves among their old friends and relatives awhile, and argued that perhaps they could get into some good business; but Samuel insisted on proceeding to St. Louis. Upon examining into their finances, they found that they had but one dollar between them. John argued that this was insufficient to go on with, but Samuel, although strongly tempted to drop in among their old acquaintances for a while, urged that it would be best to push on to St. Louis, relying upon the known hospitality of the early settlers, and his ability to earn money by a few days' work, to help them through; and when once there he felt certain that they could each get into a lucrative business that would enable them to visit friends in much better style than they were then able to. This argument took place at the forks of a road; one fork running south to Bardstown, and the other running west, down the Ohio. John, being a little inclined to superstition, proposed that they should decide the matter by setting up a stick, and which ever way it fell, that that would be the way to proceed. Samuel, not being very strenuous, consented to this. John accordingly balanced his walking stick on its end very nicety, and let it fall, when lo! it fell to the south. So they proceeded to Nelson County, and found plenty of warm friends; and both went to work, Samuel at his trade, and John to surveying; and after surveying about a year, he was married to Miss Isabella Huston, by whom he had ten children, the eldest of whom, Dr. Henry A. Milroy, resided for some years in Delphi, and will be remembered by many of our citizens.
Samuel, after working at his trade for some months, still had dreams of making a fortune in St. Louis, and in the Fall of 1807, in company with George Wilson, a distant relative, of the same trade with himself, traveled on foot, by way of Vincennes, to St. Louis, where they worked at their trade very successfully for about ten months, when both were taken down with bilious fever, from which Samuel recovered after an illness of about six weeks, and Wilson about the same time. As soon as they were sufficiently able to travel, they set out on their return to Nelson County, Kentucky. They struck the Ohio River at Evansville, and were there offered wages as hands on a keel-boat (the only kind of a boat in those days, besides a pirogue and canoe, that could be taken up stream), loaded with goods for Louisville. They accepted the offer, and on the way up, an incident occurred that proved the sincerity of Wilson's friendship.
While passing a largo drift, one day, Samuel, being on the side next the drift, saw a log sticking out at the upper edge, and supposing from its appearance it was solid and stationary, placed the end of his setting-pole on it, and threw his weight on the pole for the purpose of propelling the boat; but the log suddenly turned, and he went into the river head foremost, and sunk down.' All the men on board of the boat were greatly alarmed. Wilson rushed to the place where his friend had gone down, and plunged in after him without a moment's hesitation, knowing that he could not swim. Samuel kept his presence of mind as he was going down, and thought it would be best to let himself go down to the bottom without resistance, and that he could then by a vigorous spring send himself to the surface; but finding the water very deep, and that he did not reach the bottom after sinking some fifteen or twenty feet, he commenced working for the surface, and, upon reaching it, Wilson came to the rescue. He called to the men on the boat to throw out a rope to him, which was done, and they seized hold of it when within a foot or two of the upper edge of the drift, under which the water was sweeping with a strong current. They were taken on board just in time to save their lives.
Upon his arrival in Nelson County, he again resumed his trade with his usual energy, and in 1809 purchased a tract of land, and commenced improving it. In 1810, he married Miss Martha Huston, a young sister of his brother John's wife, by whom he had ten children, seven sons and three daughters. Three of the boys died young. The eldest, Colonel Robert H. Milroy, after having served a campaign in Mexico, and having been a member from this county of the Constitutional Convention of 1850, and after having served a few months as president judge of this judicial circuit, finally located at Rensselaer, Jasper County, engaged in the practice of the law. In April, 1861, Colonel Milroy raised a company at the call of President Lin* coin, and was one of the first to reach Indianapolis. Upon the election of officers, he was elected colonel of the Ninth Regiment. Naturally a military man, and brave as a lion, he gave a good account of himself.
John B. Milroy, the second son, resided in Carroll County. He has served one year as representative to the State Legislature, and one term as county auditor.
Samuel, the third son, remained on the old homeplace, and James resided at Galveston, in Cass County.
The eldest daughter became the wife of Mr. Valentine Coble, and resided in Adams Township, in this county. The second daughter was the wife of Dr. Samuel Grimes, of Delphi, and died in 1850. The third daughter is the wife of Dr. E. W. H. Berk, of Delphi.
But to return. In September of the year 1812, the Indians attacked and destroyed a settlement in Scott County, Indiana Territory, killing three men, five women, and sixteen children. The news of the massacre spread through the territory, and into the state of Kentucky, creating intense excitement. Mounted volunteer companies were hastily raised in several of the border counties of Kentucky. Samuel Milroy raised one of these companies in Nelson County, and reached the scene of the massacre with his company, near a hundred miles distant, in just four days after its occurrence. The other volunteer companies that arrived from Kentucky, swelled the number of volunteers from that state to about three hundred and fifty men, which, with the militia companies of the surrounding counties, constituted a little army of near five hundred men. They found the ruins of the houses still smoking, and the bloody, mangled corpses of the victims scattered in ghastly array around them, some of them partly burned. These sights created feelings of the most intense desire for revenge upon the bloody monsters who had perpetrated the horrid deed. A council of war was called, to determine what to do. There were several colonels and majors present, all wishing to be commanders-in chief, several of them claiming it by virtue of rank, so that the council finally broke up in a row, and the companies separated. Some of them disbanded, and some of them returned home at once. Captain Milroy, with what volunteers he could raise, determined to follow the Indians. They accordingly set out on the trail and followed it several days; but a fall of snow covering the foot-prints, they were compelled to give up the pursuit. After ranging the woods for some time, in hope of finding the trail, made after the fall of the snow, their provisions giving out, they reluctantly returned. During this scout, he had a good opportunity for observing the country, and formed a very favorable opinion of a portion of Washington County. After his return homo, he continued the improvement of his farm, and built a horse-mill; but becoming disgusted with the institution of slavery, he determined to emigrate to Indiana Territory, from which slavery was excluded by the Ordinance of 1787. He effected a sale of his property in Kentucky in 1814, and in the Fall of that year, in company with his youngest brother, James, then unmarried, and a blacksmith by trade, came out to Washington County, and purchased a tract of one hundred and sixty acres of land in partnership, on a branch of Blue River, about five miles east of Salem. They built a house, and made some improvement, and in the Spring of 1815, he (Samuel) removed his family to their new home. They went to work with great energy to clear off the heavy forest and make a farm. They erected a blacksmith-shop, and afterward a grist-mill, on the creek that ran through the land.
On the 19th day of April, 1816, the Congress of the United States passed an act to enable the people of Indiana Territory to form a Constitution and State Government. This act required an election to be held in the several counties of the territory, on the second Monday of the following May, for delegates to a Constitutional Convention. Samuel Milroy was elected one of the delegates from Washington County. The Convention met at Corydon, Harrison County, the old seat of Government, on the 10th day of June, in the same year, and finished their work in nineteen days, and adjourned on the 29th of June. By reference to pages 557 and 558 of " Dillon's History of Indiana," it will be seen that Milroy was a member of three of the most important committees of the Convention—the Committee on the Legislative Department of Government, the Committee on the Judicial Department, and the Committee on Prisons.
The election for members of the first Legislature under the Constitution was held on the first Monday of August, 1816. At this election, Samuel Milroy was elected one of the representatives from Washington County. This Legislature met at Corydon, on the first Monday of December of the same year, which was the day of the meeting of the Legislature under the old Constitution.
He was commissioned a major by Governor Posey, in 1816; a colonel by Governor Jennings, in 1817; and a brigadier-general by the same governor, in 1819.
He was re-elected a member of the Legislature from Washington County for nine years successively, and was speaker of the House at the session of 1821. His name was on the Jackson electoral ticket of this State in 1824, and the author, when a boy, remembers being present in the old stone court-house, in Corydon, and witnessing the casting of the five electoral votes of Indiana for " Old Hickory." He continued a warm supporter, admirer, and friend of General Jackson while he lived. In the Winter of 1824-5, he built a large flat-boat on the Muscatatuck, a branch of White River, which forms the boundary between Washington and Jackson Counties, and loaded the same with slaves' for the New Orleans market. In the Spring, when the waters were high, he successfully ran his boat down the Muscatatuck, White River, Wabash, Ohio, and Mississippi, to New Oceans. The experiment was a new one, and had never been tried before from that part of the State, but it opened a new branch of commerce that numbers profited by afterward.
He sold his farm in Washington County in the beginning of 1826, and in the Spring of that year, in company with his son, Henry Bruce, he came out to the Wabash; and after looking over the country, then new and mostly uninhabited, he finally located, and entered eighty acres on Deer Creek, one mile above where Delphi now stands, and adjoining the old homestead. After renting a piece of land of Mr. Page, on Wild-cat Prairie (near where the town of Dayton, in Tippecanoe County, now stands), the nearest point where farming land could be rented, and planting it in corn, he commenced improving his land, which was heavily timbered. Having erected a temporary shanty, in which to cook and lodge, they cleared and fenced ten acres of land, and planted it mostly in potatoes and turnips, which proved a wise and fortunate provision for the family, the next Winter. Through the Summer of 1826, they cultivated their corn, on Wild-cat Prairie, and cut and hewed house-logs, and made clap-boards for a dwelling-house, which they " raised " with some difficulty, with the assistance of all the settlers within ten miles, about a dozen in all. After tho house was raised and covered, they returned to Washington County, and removed the family out hero about the 1st of October, 1826.
Having been appointed one of the commissioners to locate the county-seat of Tippecanoe County, he met with the other commissioners, and attended to that duty by locating the seat of justice at Lafayette. This he did while his family were on their way. After arriving at home, with his family, in the woods, he determined to have ground cleared, and a sufficient quantity of wheat sown to furnish, bread the ensuing year. Considering the lateness of the season, the density and heavy growth of the forest; corn to be hauled from Wild-cat Prairie, where it had to be gathered ; doors and windows to be cut out, and a door to be made; puncheons to be hewed out; floor laid; house to be chinked and daubed; fire-place to be cut out, and chimney built, etc., etc.,—this seemed a gigantic undertaking. But he went at it with his indomitable energy, and working all day and by the light of burning brush-heaps at night, and being remarkably favored that season with fine weather, which was so warm that the ground was not frozen before Christmas, he succeeded in clearing and fencing six acres. He commenced breaking up, harrowing, and sowing, about the 18th of December, and continued until Christmas morning, at which time he found the ground was frozen too hard for plowing. He had succeeded in putting in four acres, which produced about fifty bushels of wheat the next year. As soon as seeding was suspended by the cold weather, the general, with his whole disposable force—consisting of his sons, Bruce, then about twenty one years of age ; Robert, about ten; John, about six ; a young hired hand by the name of Samuel Thompson, who resides in this county, on Rock Creek —commenced clearing his land, in the Deer Creek bottom. By the last of May, he had succeeded in getting twenty acres grubbed, cleared, rolled, and burned, rails made, fenced, broken up, and planted. He thus, in a few years, surrounded his family with comfort. In the Fall of 1827, a petition to the Legislature was circulated among the inhabitants of the territory, now composing the county of Carroll, asking the organization of a new county out of said territory. General Milroy proceeded to Indianapolis with this petition, at the session of 1827-8. He appeared before the committee to whom the petition was referred, and suggested the present boundaries of the county, and the name. He was requested by the committee to draw up a bill, which he did. The original draft of the same is still among his old papers. Having a personal acquaintance with the commissioners appointed to locate the county-seat of Carroll Count}', they were the guests of the general most of the time they were engaged in making the location. A number of points were offered, and urged as good locations by their respective owners, but principally through the influence and management of General M., the present site (Delphi) was selected. It was the site he had picked out for a county-seat when he first came to the county. It was more particularly his influence and skillful management that procured the liberal donation of one hundred acres for the county-seat from William Wilson.
The name "Delphi" was suggested to the commissioners by General M. One day, when they were discussing what name should bo given to the now county-seat, he handed them a slip of paper, on which several names were written, Delphi among others, and that was the name selected. After the location of the town, he (with his compass and chain), assisted by Wilson, and some of his boys and neighbors, laid out and
located the streets and Public Square of the new town. He was appointed the first agent to sell lots in the town, and after advertising six weeks in the Salem Annotator and Terre Haute Register he held the first sale of lots, on the 11th day of August, 1828. He continued to act as agent until some time in 1829, when he resigned; refusing to receive any compensation for his services, merely requiring a trifle to cover expenses.
Near the close of the year 1827, he was appointed, by the Administration of John Quincy Adams, to examine the land-offices of Illinois. This appointment, not having been sought by him, came very unexpectedly. Having warmly opposed tho election of Mr. Adams, and being strongly opposed to the principles of his Administration, ho always supposed that this appointment was given him for the purpose of influencing his political action in the approaching Presidential campaign of 1828. Very much needing the emoluments of the office, he accepted it, and discharged the duties required by it, during the Spring of 1828; but he did not swerve from an energetic support of General Jackson, at the Presidential election that year. In August, 1829, he was elected a representative to the Legislature from the district composed of the counties of Montgomery, Fountain, Warren, Tippecanoe, and Carroll, and shortly after the election, he again, unexpectedly, received the appointment to examine the land-offices of Illinois, from President Jackson. Soon afterward, and before he had time to discharge the duties of the office, he received from the same President the appointment of Register of the Land-office at Crawfordsville, an office then worth three thousand dollars per annum. He thus held three offices at one time, and it was with him a matter of deep solicitude, about which he was undecided for some time, which office should be retained, and which resigned. On the one hand, the emoluments of the land-office, which he might hold for years, offered pecuniary inducements to himself and family, which, to a man in his circumstances, were of the most tempting character. On the other hand, the people of his district had selected him, by a large majority, to rep resent them in the Legislature, and he felt that he ought not to disappoint them, though the office would expire in two or three months, and its emoluments were worth nothing. He could have held on to the appointment to examine the land-offices in Illinois, before the time for the meeting of the Legislature, and by so doing could have realized five or six hundred dollars over expenses. Finally, by the advice and urgent solicitation of his friends, he concluded to accept the Registership of the Land-office at Crawfordsville, and resign the other two offices. He held the office of register about four years, the duties of which were faithfully attended to by his son Bruce; and he finally gave up the office rather than remove from his farm, with his family, to Crawfordsville, which he was required to do.
He was a delegate to the first Democratic National Convention ever held in the United States, which met at Baltimore, in May, 1832, and which nominated General Jackson for his second term. He was a delegate, and attended every succeeding Democratic National Convention from that time up to 1844, at which time James K. Polk was nominated. This was the last convention held prior to his death.
In 1835, he was appointed by President Jackson, as one of the Board of Visitors to the United States Military Academy, at West Point, and nobly discharged that duty. In 1837, and again in 1838, he was elected a representative to the Legislature from Carroll. In 1836, he was elected a State Senator from the counties of Carroll and Clinton, and drew the short term. "While serving in the Legislature, he, in the most determined manner, opposed the gigantic Internal Improvement folly, which has been an incubus upon the prosperity of the State ever since, entailing a debt of fifteen millions of dollars. Finding that the current of interest was too strong in favor of the bill to be resisted, he made a strong effort to have the various works classified, that one might be begun and completed at a time. If this plan had been adopted, the finished works would have yielded some revenue from tolls, and the works would have been of some benefit to the State, and would have saved, in a great measure, the great debt. But in the effort, though tried in various ways, he was unsuccessful, for the reason that a majority of the members had become personally interested in the system, and expected to make fortunes out of it. The Utopian idea was held up, that the State could borrow $10,000,000, and complete the Public Works all over the state at once; and that the works, when completed, would bring in such a vast revenue, that in a few years the loan could be paid off, and the revenue continue ample to pay all state, county, and township expenses, and forever relieve the people from all taxation 1 It was also contended that in addition to refunding the principal and interest of the ten million loan, the revenue would support a system of free schools, in which the children of the state could be educated, up to the highest point, through all coming time! General Milroy told them, in his last speech against borrowing the ten millions,, and in favor of classification, that their great system would be a gigantic failure, which would entail a ruinous debt on the State, under which the people would be ground down by taxation for generations to come; and that the men who voted for and were instrumental in fastening this curse upon the people, would soon become so unpopular, odious, and hateful, that the very dogs would not lick their blood. Time has proved his wisdom and foresight in relation to this Internal Improvement System. In 1839, he was appointed agent for the Miami and Pottawatomie Indians, and in 1840, he succeeded in purchasing from the Miami tribe their great reservation, which the Government had previously, for many years, through different agents and special commissioners, tried in vain to purchase. He was removed from the office of Indian Agent, in 1841, by President Harrison, whose election he bad opposed ; he was reappointed to the same office in 1845, by President Polk, and held it up to the time of his death, which occurred on the 26th day of May, 1845. His death was occasioned by erysipelas, of which disease his son Bruce had died two weeks before. Though a strong believer in the truths of Christianity, he never belonged to any Church. He estimated men by their acts and conduct, never by their professions.
General Milroy never sued a man in his life, and was never sued for a debt of his own contracting. His house was the home of hospitality, where friends and strangers found a ready welcome ; for he never, in the whole course of his life, charged any one for a night's lodging or a meal's victuals.
He was one of the warmest friends of the interests of Delphi. He struggled against her enemies ; and had it not been for his never-ceasing exertions, on one or two occasions, the county-seat would have no doubt been removed.
Such is a very brief outline of the most prominent events in the life of General Samuel Milroy, who, in his day, was not only one of the most prominent citizens of Carroll County, but of the state of Indiana.
General Milroy is buried in the old Delphi graveyard. His children have erected a monument over his grave. The following is the inscription on the west side :
IS ERECTED AS A TRIBUTE OF WORTH AND AFFECTION TO THE MEMORY OF BY HIS CHILDREN. BENEATH THIS STONE BEST THE MORTAL REMAINS
GENERAL SAMUEL MILROY.
Born August 14, 1780.
Died May 26, 1845.
Aged 64 years, 9 months, and 12 days.
ONE OF THE FIRST COUNTY COMMISSIONERS.
Aaron Hicks was born in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, March 1, 1800. His father soon afterward emigrated to the western part of Pennsylvania, and, in the year 1807, to the vicinity of Marietta, Ohio. After residing in various counties in that state, he died in Shelby County, in 1822. In the Autumn of 1825, in company with three neighbors, and his brother William, Mr. Hicks came on an exploring tour to Indiana. They took the route down White River, and thence across to the Wabash, in Tippecanoe County. The settlement in that county had but just commenced. Lafayette contained but one comfortable house, and although this part of the state was then a wilderness, the party were so well pleased with its beautiful and extensive prairies, its rich and-heavily timbered woodlands, and its abundant springs of clear cold water, that they returned home and made immediate arrangements for emigration. In the Spring of 1836, Mr. Hicks, in company with his brother (who had a small family), left the state of Ohio for Indiana. The party assisted Messrs. Odell & Ridenhour to build a boat on the Mississinewa, which was loaded with bacon and apple-trees, on which boat the party took passage, and landed at the mouth of Rock Creek (now in Carroll County), on the 24th day of April. From the point at which they took the boat in Randolph County, to the mouth of Deer Creek, except a few trading-posts along the river, the country was entirely unsettled by the whites. A few families, in the Spring of 1825, landed at the mouth of Deer Creek, in a keel-boat which they had brought down the Scioto and Ohio Elvers to the mouth of the Wabash, and up the Wabash to this place. In the same Spring, Aaron Merriman (then unmarried) made an improvement on the bluff, a short distance from the mouth of Rock Creek (being a part of the farm afterward owned by Jacob Kuns), and having no family, the Hicks family removed into the cabin of Merriman. At that time the settlers had neither mills, roads, or teams. By canoe they sought a little mill below Lafayette, where their corn was ground. In the ensuing Fall, Mr. Hicks built a cabin on the bank of the river, on land which he afterward purchased. On that same place he resided while he remained a citizen of the county. The same Fall Mr. H's mother and family arrived. He then had raised plenty of corn and potatoes; but in order to supply himself with meat, he took a pirogue and went to the mouth of Sugar Creek. During the trip be came very near being frozen up in the river. Mr. Eobinson was then building a small mill just above where Delphi was afterward located. The Rock Creek settlers expected to procure grinding at this mill, but it had only been in operation a few days before it was frozen up, and was not thawed out again before the latter part of Winter. The people in Mr. H's neighborhood subsisted on potatoes, meat, and hominy, until the mild weather of Spring unlocked the mill.
In the Spring of 1827, Mr. Hicks married a daughter of Mr. William Price.
At the first election held in the county, Mr. Hicks was elected one of the county commissioners, Jacob Baum and Graham Eoberts being his colleagues. He discharged his official duties honestly and faithfully, and to the satisfaction of the people.
After a residence of about seven years in the bounds of what is now Carroll County, having witnessed its progress from almost a wilderness to an organized county, rapidly increasing in population, improvements, and wealth, he sold his property, and removed about eight miles north, into the territory out of which the county of White has since been made. In that county Mr. H. still resides, one of its most respected and worthy citizens. He is the only survivor of the first Board of County Commissioners.
ALL the early settlers remember "Father Olinger," who removed here at an early day from the state of Tennessee. He had been a soldier of the " Revolution," and like most of the men who fought in 76, was fond, when he came to town, of indulging in a social glass. When asked " if he would take something," his invariable reply always was, " Would a duck swim?" Of course a duck would swim, and just as naturally would " Father O." take a " nipper."
He was a kind-hearted, honest old man as ever lived, and one who loved the country he had fought for, with his whole heart. It was his custom, on election days, to take his place on the court-house steps, and about every half hour shout at the top of his voice: " Whoop'e! Whoop's more votes! More votes! Our end best." This speech would never fail to put the crowd in a good-humor, and raise a laugh.
Samuel Wells purchased the land on which was afterward located the town of West Delphi, east of the "Wabash River. Wells had the name of being " awfully avaricious;" a " ftp," in his eyes, looked as big as the full moon. A short time after the location of Delphi, a Yankee peddler came along, vending his " wall-sweepers." After remaining over night at Joseph Dunham's tavern, when about to depart in the morning for a trip to the sparse settlements on the west side of the river, he inquired of the landlord, if any one resided between the town and the Wabash. He was informed that a man by the name of Wells lived on the river bank, but that he was " awfully stingy," and it would be wasting time to attempt to sell him a clock. The peddler started out, hitched his horse at Wells's door, and was informed that W. was plowing in a field at some distance. He took up his line of march, and after finding his man, saluted him as follows: " Is your name Wells?"
W.—" Yes, sir."
P.—" I presume I have come upon a fool's errand. I am engaged in selling clocks. I inquired about you at the little village the other side of the bayou, and they informed me that you were so close, that it was all nonsense to think of trading with you."
W. (Very indignant)—" The rascals over at that hole have always been abusing me."
Thereupon he proceeded to the house with the peddler, and to prove to him how outrageously he had been slandered, he purchased a " sweeper" for forty-five dollars, and paid for the same with Mexican dollars, which he resurrected out of an old chest!
At one time, Wells, after having built a hewed log house, the one that stood just below the dam, undertook to saw off the ends of the logs, which were projecting six or eight feet from the corner. He commenced with the upper log, but unfortunately was seated on the outer end of the same! The consequence was, the log fell, and so did Wells ! He was pretty nearly killed by the fall, and was compelled to send for a doctor to do up his* bruises!
The author has another anecdote of Wells, told him by Robert Cade. Wells and Tom Burk met one day at Cade's. A quarrel arose and they proposed to fight; Wells was at least twice as large as Burk, but was generally thought to be a great coward. The moment Burk commenced to pull off his coat, W. sat down and commenced taking off his shoes and stockings ! At this moment Cade interposed, and the fuss was compromised. After Burk left for home, Cade had the curiosity to ask W." why he had pulled off his shoes and stockings?" W. replied that he "was afraid if he got into a fight, he would kick Burk's guts out!"
Cade believed, until his dying day, that the true reason was, to enable W. to do some " tall running."
Mr. Robbins was a decided " character," quite eccentric, and celebrated for his dry humor. His acts were those of kindness, although his manner would be sometimes quite the reverse. He must have his fun, even if his best friend was at the point of death.
Mr. E. was not a member of any religious denomination, although his wife was a member of the Baptist Church. On one occasion a minister of that persuasion rode up to Mr. E's. door, about sunset, and found the man of the house busily engaged in chopping wood for the next morning's fire, when the following colloquy ensued:
Preacher—"Is your name Robbins?"
B. (Without stopping his work)—"Yes, sir."
P. (Still sitting on his horse)—"Any news, Mr. Robbins?"
E.—""No, sir; none that I know of."
P.—"I believe, Mr. Robbins, that your wife is a member of our Church ?"
B.—"I generally carry my members in my pocket when I leave home."
P. (After a long pause, E. still chopping)—"Mr. E., can 1 stay all night with you?"
E.—"Certainly, with great pleasure. Why did'nt you name the matter at first?"
CAPTAIN WILLIAM HANCE.
For many years Captain William Hance was one of the county commissioners of this county. He died on his farm, a short distance above Camden, on the 20th day of June, 1859, in the sixty-fourth year of his age.
Captain Hance emigrated to Carroll County, from the county of Miami, Ohio, in the year 1828. He was a consistent and influential member of the Baptist Church for forty years.
As a county commissioner, Captain H. was distinguished for the fidelity with which he discharged the various duties connected with that office. To sum. up, he was one of that honest, incorruptible class of men, too little appreciated, we fear, in this degenerate age. Sis word was as good as his bond.
As a husband, father, friend, neighbor, and Christian, he was always true and consistent. He was a zealous follower of the meek and lowly Redeemer.
George C. Sanderson was born in England, but came to the United States when quite a young man, and settled near Dayton, Ohio, where he married. He emigrated to this county in the year 1829, and engaged in the occupation of teaching school, which he followed most of the time during life. He was a successful and popular teacher, and in that vocation did a great deal of good.
In 1834, Mr. Sanderson was elected one of the associate judges of the Carroll Circuit Court, which position ho continued to hold under repeated elections until the adoption of the new Constitution. He was a man of stern integrity, an upright and honest judge.
He died at his residence, six miles east of Delphi, on the 25th day of October, 1859.
One of the first settlers was William Hughes, who was born in Winchester, Virginia, on the 28th day of April, 1790. When William was a boy, his father removed to Clarke County, Kentucky ; thence to Highland County, Ohio; thence again to Clarke County, Kentucky, and thence to Adams County, Ohio. In that county, at about the age of twenty, he was married to his first wife.
In 1814, he volunteered, and served six months in the war with Great Britain, was stationed at Upper Sandusky, and was there at the time Colonel Croghan fought the battle of Lower Sandusky. While in the army, he had a pitched battle with the " bully " of another regiment ("fist and skull"), and whipped him.
About the year 1820, he removed to the Indian territory of Indiana, in what was afterward organized into Madison- County. He purchased a tract of improved land from a Delaware Indian, and remained on it about two years; sold out, and removed to Henry County. resided in Henry at the time Sawyer, Bridges, and others, killed the friendly Indians, and saw Hudson, Bridges, and Sawyer hung, and young Bridges reprieved.
About the year 1825, Mr. Hughes went to Texas, induced to do so by the promises made by Colonel Austin. First located about one hundred miles up the Colorado. He returned home to Henry County, having been absent nearly two years.
He was married to his second wife about the year 1823. After his return from Texas, he came to this part of the Wabash twice, on a peddling tour. He started with his family to remove here, in January, 1827, and arrived the last of February. He came down the Mississinewa; had a pretty hard time in coming; could procure scarcely any thing to eat, until he arrived at Aleck Chamberlain's, who kept tavern on the river, a mile below where Logansport was afterward located.
When Mr. Hughes arrived in Carroll County, he settled near where Eli Wingard now resides, in the Burntrager neighborhood. One of his near neighbors was Moses Standley. He afterward bought thirty-six acres in the same neighborhood, which he improved. He made his living principally by hunting.
In 1828, in company with Moses Standley and John Mitchell, he got on board a " bitter-head " boat, and went down to the mouth of the the Big Vermilion River, with beeswax, etc., purchased corn and meal, and then pushed the boat all the way up, and landed at the " Elm Ford," on the Wabash, just below the mouth of the bayou, near the paper-mills. They were absent about one month.
Mr. Hughes was at the first sale of lots in Delphi; bought the corner lot, on which the wigwam- was erected in 1860. He gave seventy dollars for the lot, but soon sold out to old Billy Wilson.
Mr. Hughes has killed deer near where the present court-house in Delphi stands, and he found a " bee-tree " just below where the jail is located.
The Delphi town-plat, before it was cleared off, was open woods of oak, walnut, elm, plum-bushes, and hazel. A favorite Indian camping-ground was on Deer Creek.
Mr. Hughes is residing about three miles south-west of Delphi.
Enoch Cox was born August 28, 1784, in the state of New Jersey, and in 1789 his father removed to Mason County, Kentucky, where Mr. C. continued to reside thirty-six years. In 1825 he removed to Montgomery County, Ohio, and resided there until the 2d day of April, 1829, on which day he started to Delphi, in company with his family, and arrived at the house of John Robbins, on the 17th day of April, 1829. After remaining at the house of Mr. Bobbins three or four days, he removed into the town of Delphi, and lived in a log house belonging to Joe Dunham, on the lot afterward occupied by Robertson, Wood, and Richhold. He resided in Delphi until February, 1830, and then removed about five miles below town, on the farm, owned by the Waller's family; here he remained ten months, and about Christmas, 1830, returned to Delphi, and moved into a house he had erected on the " Wigwam Lot." He remained in that location two or three years, and then removed to his farm, about two miles below Delphi, on the railroad.
Mr. Cox Was married on the 28th day of August, 1810, in Mason County, Kentucky, to Isabella Logan.
At the time Mr. Cox came to Delphi, in 1829, he remembers that the following families were residing here : Aaron Dewey, William George, Joseph Dunham, Rev. James Crawford, Dr. Anthony, and William Wilson.
Samuel Wagoner settled in Clay Township, in this county, in October, 1828. He came from Montgomery County, Ohio. He was a member of the " German Baptist Church" or "Dunkers." This Church was organized in Clay Township in the latter part of 1828, and meetings were held at the houses of the different members. Mr. Imon (Eyman) was the first preacher. John Shively and .Samuel Ullery were next, and David Ullery visiting minister. John Shively also officiated.
The following families composed the first Church: David Ullery, John Wagoner, Joel Fouts, John Shivley, Samuel Ullery, Christian Eeplogel, Lawrence Fouts, and Samuel Wagoner.
Adam Porter, was born in Bath County, Virginia, in the year 1805. In October, 1815, his father and his family started from Virginia for Indiana, and settled in Franklin County (now Fayette), near Connersville, on the 15th day of December, 1815.
In March, 1825, in company with Moses and Aaron Alldridge, Adam came to Indianapolis, then a small village. He worked there between one and two years, at eight dollars per month, and cleared off a tract of land for James Blake, for nine dollars an acre. He purchased eighty acres of land near Indianapolis, made a "deadening" on it, and afterward sold out.
In April, 1827, he came to Carroll County, and purchased eighty acres of Government land, a part of his present farm, worked a few months in the neighborhood, made another "deadening" on his land, and boarded with Thomas Stirlin and John Odell. At that time, John Little, Thomas Stirlin, and John Odell were the only persons who resided above Henry Robinson's, on Deer Creek.
It so happened that five single men had purchased land in Mr. Porter's neighborhood, and were making improvements on the same, to-wit: Elisha Brown, John Ballard, Jeremiah Ballard, Moses Alldridge, and Adam Porter. One day John Little remarked that they ought to give the name of "Bachelor's Run" to the little creek near which these bachelors had settled, and pretty soon the register of the Land-office wrote the name on his plats, and thus that stream will be known in all coming time as "Bachelor's Run."
About the 1st of June, 1837, he returned to Indianapolis, and thence to Rush County. The same Fall, he visited Virginia, and remained there until January, 1828; returned on horseback to Rush County, and from there he walked to this county, and purchased another eighty acre lot of land, adjoining the first track. On this trip he came near perishing in the woods between Crawfordsville and Indianapolis; he and his companion lost their way, and were compelled to walk the whole night to keep themselves from freezing. During this visit he made some more " deadenings" on his land, and again returned to Rush County, where he remained until after the Presidential election in 1828. He then started to Tennessee, where he remained all Winter, with a half brother. In March, 1829, he went to Lebanon, Ohio, remained there till October, 1829, and then returned here—driving a six-horse team for Cornelius Williams. Enoch Alldridge and family accompanied them.
About the 10th day of November, 1829, he again settled on his land, boarding with James Alldridge. He " worked around," and the following Winter cleared land for John Odell. He married Catharine Holeman on the 1st day of April, 1830.
Rattlesnakes were very plenty. Mr. Porter stated that, at one time, Moses Alldridge and the two Ballards killed twenty-two at a den on the land lately owned by William Halsey, then belonging to Isaac Griffith.
Mr. Porter resides on his farm, about seven miles from Delphi, and is known as one of the most energetic of the citizens. He owns a fine flouring-mill on Deer Creek, about one mile below Camden.
He is the father of a numerous family, fifteen having been born under his roof. He accumulated a large property, and affords a striking proof of what may be accomplished by industry and perseverance.
JOHN R. BALLARD.
John E. Ballard was born in Cayuga County, New York, on the 30th day of April, 1805. When six years of age, his father removed to the West, and arrived at Cincinnati in the Fall of 1810, and settled eight miles from that village on Mill Creek. The family resided in Hamilton and Butler Counties, until about the year 1814, at which time his mother died with the " cold plague." The family then (nine children) broke up, and scattered among relatives. John and a younger brother were taken to a married sister's in Wayne County, Indiana. He was then about eight years old. At the end of two years, his father married again, in Wabash County, Illinois, and the younger children were gathered under the paternal roof. He resided with his father until he arrived at about the age of nineteen, near which time his father died. He then returned to Wayne County, where he remained about eighteen"months.
In March, 1825, in company with his brother, Jeremiah Ballard, he came to Wea, Tippecanoe County, and remained there until the 5th day of May, on which day the two brothers came to this territory, afterward organized into Carroll County. On the 6th day of May, John commenced work for Benjamin D. Angell, at ten dollars per month, and continued with him four months, Angell having departed this life on the 16th day of September, 1825. He took a fifty-dollar job from the widow of clearing land.
Mr. Ballard, having worked around by the job and month, finally accumulated enough money to purchase eighty acres of land, lately owned by the Hon. Thomas Thompson, and he was one of the young men who gave the name " Bachelor" to the little creek. He boarded with Jediah Johnson three years.
Seven years after his arrival here, he married Lucinda, daughter of John Robbins, who survived the marriage about ten years, leaving four children. He removed to the west side of the Wabash River, about three miles above Pittsburg, in August, 1832.
Mr. Ballard's second wife was Miss Nancy Jane Hamilton, by whom he had four children. He was married to his third wife, Mrs. Terese Wolf, about the year 1848.
The first wedding Mr. B. attended after his arrival here was that of Geo. I. Baum and Miss Manary. One of the first weddings was his brother Jeremiah, to a daughter of Daniel Baum. The first sermon he heard preached was by Rev. James Crawford, at the house of Henry Robinson.
The first Winter after his arrival here, his brother Jeremiah and himself built a wolf-den, near Angell's house, in which they caught six wolves.
James Odell, Sr., James Odell, Jr., John and Jeremiah Ballard, watched the snake-den below Odell's house, and killed one hundred and ninety-four rattlesnakes.
Joseph Cox is the son of Enoch Cox, a short sketch of whom is given on a preceding page. Joseph was nine or ten years old at the time his father settled in Delphi, April, 1829. His father kept a little store on the ground on which the drug-store of W. H. Calvert was located. Mr. Cox remembers that Dr. Anthony was in the habit of getting on his mare (being a Marylander, he pronounced the word "mar"), and riding up to Wilson's spring, - near A. H. Bowen's house, with a little tin bucket, for water for his family, five or six times a day. Dr. A. became disgusted with the place, and soon left.
Mr. Cox long resided on his farm, two miles below Delphi. He was one of the active and prominent men in the fraternity of Odd-fellows, and a member of the Grand Lodge of that Order. He was an honest man, without guile, and above reproach. Every one spoke well of him, and if the whole world was made up of such men, hatred, envy, strife, revenge, wars, malice, and evil-speaking, would be banished from human society.
Mr. Jackson was born on the 4th day of June, 1782, in the state of Pennsylvania. At the age of three or four years, his father, Isaac Jackson, removed to Franklin County, Virginia. Upon arriving at the age of twenty-one years, he apprenticed himself to a stonemason, and learned that trade. On the 15th of June, 1814, he married Eebecca Biirk ; he then resided in Giles County, Virginia. In the Fall of 1823, he emigrated to the West, and settled in Union County, Indiana. He remained there (except one year in Treble County, Ohio,) until October, 1827, at which time he came to the Deer Creek settlement, arriving here in November. He settled in the woods, having secured a lease on the school section above Delphi, on which land he opened up a small farm. He remained on this farm until March, 1831, when he again broke up, and settled on his own land in the green woods, two and a half miles south of Delphi.
He died on his farm, on the 24th day of January, 1851, leaving a numerous and respectable family.
On Saturday, the 16th day of February, 1861, the writer was called upon to visit his old friend, James M'Dowell, on what proved to be his death-bed. Mr. M'D. said at the time that he would never get up again. He was suffering so much that the writer declined entering into any extended conversation, and therefore failed to elicit from him many particulars of his life.
He was born in March, 1789, in the town of Newborn, North Carolina; left that state in his tenth year, and removed to Bourbon County, Kentucky. He afterward lived in Nicholas County. At the age of eighteen, he left Kentucky, and settled in Preble County, Ohio, in which county he married. He came to Vigo County, Indiana, where he resided three years near Terre Haute, and, in 1826, removed to this territory.
From a statement made by Mr. M'Dowell at the " old settlers'" meeting, in August, 1855, we learn that he came here in August, 1826. David Lucas, and. Alexander Chamberlain, also with him, the former
locating in this county, and the latter a mile below the mouth of Eel River (Logansport).
He died on the 13th day of March, 1861.
As a husband, father, neighbor, and citizen, our old friend has left a character without blemish. A more correctly honest man never lived than James M'Dowell. He was literally a man without guile.
This gentleman was born in Warren County, Ohio, on the 27th day of January, 1804. He was married to Abigail Little, on the 4th day of February, 1825. In November, 1826, in company with his brother Daniel and family, and his brothers Joseph and Thomas Ramsey, he started for the Deer Creek settlement on the Wabash. Daniel was the only one of the brothers who brought his family along. Joseph and Thomas Ramsey already owned land in the settlement, and both went to work on their land, neither being then married.
The brothers arrived on the Daniel If Cain land on the 28th day of November, 1826 (see the interesting statement of Mrs. Magdalena M'Cain), and camped west of the hollow, back of the present orchard. The male part of the emigrants immediately commenced cutting logs for a house; some cut down the timber, others split boards for a roof. This was on Wednesday. The cabin was up and covered by Friday night, and a hard, cold rain set in very soon afterward.
Mr. M'C. then cut logs, and erected a cabin on his own land. As soon as his cabin was completed, he started back to Ohio, on the 10th day of December, 1826.
While M'C. was building his cabin, an Indian came along, and it required the whole party to keep their dog from biting the son of the forest. A fanny circumstance occurred during his stay. One day he started from his brother Daniel's to his own new cabin ; a deep snow was on the ground; he got lost, and wandered around the whole afternoon. He passed his own cabin, and didn't know it!
He arrived at home, in Ohio, on the 28th day of December, 1826, where he remained until the 19th day of November, 1828, when he started with his family to remove, and in the company were his youngest brother, Harry M'Cain, and his wife's sister, Sarah Little. He had one team, two yoke of oxen. Came through Strawtown, Kirklin, and Dayton, and arrived at his brother Daniel's on the 10th day of December, 1828, all well and happy.
DAVID HARTER, Sr.
David Harter, Sr., removed from Montgomery County, Ohio, and settled on Bachelor's Run, in this county, in the Pall of 1827. He built his first mill in 1831. At the time he settled there, Samuel Wise, on Deer Creek, was his nearest neighbor, and no one lived east of him this side of the " Miami reservation." The Michigan road was not then cut out. The deer would come within twenty steps of the house. They had no gun then. The Indians were plenty, but they gave no trouble. They frequently came to trade for corn, meal, etc.
Mr. Harter died June 12, 1840, leaving a large family. He was a good citizen, and very much respected.
John Kuns, son of George Kuns, emigrated to this county from Montgomery County, Ohio. Daniel and Jacob Kuns, sons 'of George, were also residents of this county. Daniel, however, survived but a few years, and died on Rock Creek. John Kuns was torn April 14, 1795, in Huntington County, Pennsylvania. When he was seven years of age, his father removed to Montgomery County, Ohio. John married the daughter of Leonard Wolf, in 1817. In 1824, he attended the land sales at Crawfordsville, and purchased land, and on the 11th day of October, 1826, arrived with his family, and settled on his land. Aaron Merriman, James M'Dowell, and David Lucas were then the only settlers in the Rock Creek settlement.
The " Dunker " Church was organized in the Fall of 1827, by Peter Ryman, who was the first preacher. Having no meeting-house, he preached at John Kuns's, Samuel Wise's, and also at the houses of other brethren.
It was Mr. K. who first erected the flouring-mill near Delphi, afterward owned by Roach & Co. He also carried on a tannery on his farm quite extensively for a new country. He was a very energetic business man and a shrewd trader.
In April, 1859, having lost his wife, he removed to Piatt County, Illinois. The last time the writer saw him was on the 8th day of May, 1861, when he was on his way to Wild-cat, with the view of returning to Illinois with a buxom widow, the future second Mrs. Kuns.
JONAH T. HOPKINSON.
' Jonah T. Hopkinson, the fourth sheriff of Carroll County, was born in Connecticut, on the 15th day of October, 1789, and was brought up in New York, probably in Onondaga County. He removed west to Switzerland County, Indiana, in the year 1818, and was married to Miss Lydia Powers, of that county, on the 19th day of February, 1819. After residing in that county one year, he removed to Kentucky, then returned to Switzerland County, from which place he removed to Bush County, where he lived five years.
In the year 1829, a neighbor by the name of Hays came to this county, and took a contract from Judge Isaac Griffith, to frame his saw-mill, on Deer Creek, three miles above Delphi. Hays was no carpenter; but he returned home, and induced Mr. Hopkinson (who was a carpenter by trade) to finish the job for him. Accordingly, in July, 1829, Mr. Hopkinson came here, in company with Hays and Randall, another neighbor, bringing with him his apprentice, William M. Young (since a resident of Delphi), and finished the Griffith saw-mill frame. He was so well pleased with the country, that he returned to Rush County, sold his farm, and removed to this county, arriving here about the 20th day of October, 1829. At Lafayette he became acquainted with Colonel Holt, who was then coming to this county, and the two families came together from Lafayette to Delphi.
From the time of Mr.' Atkinson's arrival here, he diligently followed his trade until he purchased a tract of land, which he improved with his usual energy. It was on this farm (since owned by Henry T. Lyon) that a man by the name of Jesse Fleming was buried in a well. The writer was on the spot the succeeding morning, and well remembers the thrill of horror that shot through the community, at an accident so dreadful. Mr. H. was digging a well; had dug down some fifteen or twenty feet, when he discovered that they were in a bed of quicksand, and perceiving the danger, concluded to go no further without curbing. Fleming was sent down for the bucket and tools, and, when in the act of being drawn up, the well caved in up to his neck, covering his face, in fact; at which moment Archibald Slane, at the risk of his own life, jumped down and scraped the sand from his nose and mouth. In an instant, another avalanche of sand fell upon Slane, almost burying him up also, and he was rescued with difficulty. Poor Fleming was not dug out until the next day. He was then dead. The sand was packed so tightly about him, that he could not be removed until they removed it down to his ankles.
Mr. Hopkinson was a member of the Methodist Church, and it was owing, alone, to his zeal and perseverance that the lot was purchased in Delphi, and the frame church edifice was erected. And, notwithstanding this undeniable fact, so rapid is the flight of time, and so very soon are the most important occurrences of life forgotten, that nine-tenths of the members who now worship in the new brick building have never heard his name. Is this either just or right?
In 1832, Mr. Hopkinson was elected sheriff of Carroll County. In 1834, a man by the name of Thompson, having been convicted of stealing an overcoat from Levi S. Dale (then a young school-teacher), was sentenced to the State-prison. The author, having some business in Louisville, Kentucky, agreed to accompany Sheriff Hopkinson, as assistant, to convey the aforesaid Thompson to his quarters at Jeffersonville. The trio started on horseback, the feet of the prisoner being connected together by a chain under the belly of the horse. The first night we reached Frankfort, the second Indianapolis, and the third Columbus, at each of which places the prisoner was secured in the county jail. The fourth night we put up at a cabin on the roadside. The prisoner being a very large, athletic man, the question as to the best method of keeping him secure for the night, became quite an important one. Finally, a straw bed was placed on the floor; the prisoner being in the middle, one of his arms was chained to one of the sheriff's, the chain locked, and the key given to the man of the house. The author placed himself on the other side, with a pistol under his head.
But the whole party being very much fatigued, we soon fell asleep, and neither awoke till broad daylight. The next night we reached Jeffersonville, and delivered Mr. Thompson into the care of the warden of the penitentiary.
After residing on the Lyon farm for several years, Mr. Hopkinson sold out, and purchased the farm above Burt's spring, since owned by John Sidenbender. On this place he died. The author has before him a number of the old Delphi Oracle, of March 16, 1839, containing the following obituary notice : " Died at his residence, in this neighborhood, on the 11th instant, Mr. Jonah T. Hopkinson. Mr. H. was one of the earliest settlers of this place, and has ever been an industrious and enterprising citizen. His loss will be deeply deplored by the community in which he has so long resided; but, to a helpless family, his loss will be irreparable. To them, the ordinary form of condolence is mockery. May the God of the widow and fatherless have them in his special keeping.
Mr. H. was kind, affectionate, and warm-hearted in his disposition. His attachments were disinterested, and no man loved his friend with a truer devotion than he.
Several years after the death of Mr. H., his family moved to Clinton County, and his youngest daughter became the wife of David P. Barner, clerk of the Clinton Circuit Court.
The father of Levi M., Henry M., Hugh M., Amos M., and Milton E. Graham, was born in Greenbrier County, Virginia, on the 12th day of March, 1787, and removed to Clarke County, Indiana, in September, 1816. In 1818, he removed to Washington County, Indiana.
He started for Carroll County about the middle of December, 1828, and arrived here on the 6th day of January, 1829.
In 1836, Mr. Graham was elected a county commissioner, which office he held for three years. He was a man of strict integrity, high-minded and honorable; a kind neighbor, a devoted husband and father.
Having lost his wife on the 14th day of July, 1838, he went, in May, 1839, to Washington County, where he married the second time. He died on the 18th day of April, 1844, leaving surviving, his wife and two children, and several by his first wife, some of whom still remain, highly respectable residents of this county.