Genealogy Trails
Genealogy Trails

Clinton County, Indiana

Biographies


picture
picture
picture



DAVID ALLEN was born June 6, 1840, on the old homestead where
his brother, Smith Allen, now resides, and not more than one-half mile from his present home. His father, Stephen Allen, was born in Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, February 14, 1799, and when a young boy moved to Butler County, Ohio, with his parents, where he grew to manhood and was married, and where his two elder children were born. He removed to this county and settled upon the farm where his son, Smith B., now lives. He died September 4, 1878, and .is buried in Jefferson Cemetery. The mother of David was born in Butler County, in May, 1804, where she was reared and educated. She died February 13, 1876, and is buried beside her husband. David finished his education at Thorntown Academy, attending then ten months. He then went to work upon his father's farm, which was divided before the father's death. November 21, 1871, he was married to Eliza M. Clark, daughter of John M. and Sarah (Gilkerson) Clark, the former born in North Carolina, January 7, 1809, and the latter in Virginia. Mrs. Allen was born April 27, 1845, in this county. Her father was a physician, and also a farmer. He brought his family to this county at an early day. Mr. and Mrs. Allen have one child — Russel Clark, born November 16, 1873. Mrs. Allen is a member of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Allen is a Republican in politics, and independent in religion. His land is thus described: Section 14, east half of southeast quarter, and south half of east half of northeast quarter, and on section 13 has thirty-two acres in west half of southwest quarter. In Perry Township he has a one-half interest in ninety-seven acres.

MOSES R. ALLEN was born in Washington Township, on the farm
where he now lives, September 10, 1838, a son of John and Cynthi (Rush) Allen. His father was born in Greene County, Pennsylvania, May 5, 1805, the seventh son in a family of twelve children. When he was seven years of age, in 1812, his parents moved to Butler County, Ohio. The father being in limited circumstances the sons were early obliged to seek employment, and he for some time was engaged in rafting logs and lumber to New Orleans, and also in taking corn and bacon on flat-boats, down the river. He was successful in this enterprise until the last trip he made. The boat had been tied up for the night when a tree fell across it, and the entire contents were sunk in the river, and he lost all he had hitherto made, and was obliged to walk back to his home. In 1828 he located in Clinton County, Indiana, where he had a brother, and entered a tract of land. He worked for the settlers until 1833, when he bought the farm on which he lived and reared his family, making it his home until September 28, 1876. He was married in Butler County, Ohio, to Cynthia Rush, who was born in November, 1813, a daughter of Moses and Rachel Rush, who came from New Jersey, and are probably of Welsh descent. The parents of our subject lived for thirteen years in their old log cabin, and then his father built a frame house near the spot where the new brick house stands. He at that time hauled goods from Cincinnati for a merchant in Jefferson named Southard. Once, when making a trip to Chicago during high water, he came to the Tippecanoe River. The water was very high and he was afraid to cross with his horses and wagon, so he unharnessed one horse, mounted it and started across the river. The current was so swift that it carried the horse down the stream, throwing him against a rick and unseating his rider. With almost superhuman effort he saved the horse. They then moved up to another ford, where they crossed. The Aliens are of English ancestry, and are related to Ethan Allen, of Revolutionary fame. Mr. Allen, the subject of this sketch, was married September 20, 1860, to Margaret J. Pence, daughter of Michael 0. and Susanna (Stafford) Pence, and she was born October 30, 1840. Her father was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, August 17, 1817. When eighteen years of age he went to Clarke County, Ohio, where he had a brother living, and where he was married December 12, 1839. He came to this county in 1858, and settled upon a farm in Washington Township, which he still owns. He lives in Delaware, Indiana, with his nieces. His wife died January 25, 1876. Mr. and Mrs. Allen have had six children — John P., born November 3, 1862; Joseph E., born August 4, 1866; Howard Ethan, born July 16, 1870; Thomas W., born July 29, 1876; William Edmond, born August 14, 1861, died June 28, 1880; George W., born February 2, 1875, died January 17, 1877. Mrs. Allen had only one sister, Catherine, who was born August 13, 1842, and died March 25, 1879. She married William Breckbill, who died April 13, 1876. Moses enlisted August 29, 1862, in Company I, One Hundredth Indiana Infantry, First Division, Fifteenth Army Corps. He was with his command during a part of the siege of Vicksburg, the battle of Jackson, Mississippi, and then via Memphis to Chattanooga and Mission Ridge, and the Atlanta and Savannah campaigns, and thence through the Carolinas, and was present at the surrender of Johnston to Sherman. His corps then went to Washington and participated in the grand review by the President and his cabinet, of 200,000 troops, comprising the Army of the Potomac and the Army of the Tennessee. He received two slight wounds, but was not disabled for duty. He was in musket range and under fire, including general engagements and skirmishes and when on picket-duty, between sixty and seventy times. After his discharge Mr. Allen returned to his old homestead. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics affiliates with the Republican party.

ABNER BAKER, farmer, section 12, was born in Wayne Township,
Butler County, Ohio, April 14, 1808. His father, Thomas Baker, was born October 18, 1763; his mother, Lydia (Hand) Baker, was born December 23, 1761, and they were married January 6, 1784. They had ten children, four girls and six boys, viz. — Sarah, William, Rachel, Stephen, Thomas, Anna, James, John, Lucy and Abner. The. last two named are all that survive. Lucy resides in Butler County, Ohio, near the place of her birth. The parents were married near Trenton, New Jersey, and when Washington fought the battle of Trenton the cannon was distinctly heard by Mrs. Baker. After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Baker removed to Redstone, Pennsylvania, where they lived two or three years, then started for Butler County, Ohio, on the Big Miami River; but hearing of serious trouble with the Indians, they stopped one year on the Hockhocking River below Wheeling, then spent a year in Cincinnati. In the year 1800 they removed to Monroe, Butler County, Ohio. After that, and to the present time, it has been called Baker's Hill. The mother died in Preble County, Ohio, January 6, 1843, the father having died a few months previous, in the same county. The Bakers were originally from England. There were two brothers, Thomas and a younger one, who came to America and settled on Long Island, and afterward removed to New Jersey. Thomas was a family name. The great-grandfather's name was Thomas, and several of his descendants. Abner Baker has in his possession a letter written by his great-uncle, Nathan Baker, to his great-grandfather, Thomas Baker, who died of smallpox in Mew Jersey, aged sixty-six years. The letter was written in 1736. Abner Baker, the subject of this sketch, passed his early life upon his father's farm. When thirteen years of age he met with an accident that materially changed his life-work. While seeking shelter from a storm he made an unfortunate jump which so crippled him that he did not recover for several years, and for one year could not talk. At the age of sixteen he commenced clerking for one Daniel Holloway, at Richmond. He remained with him one year, then entered the employ of Jonathan Martin, at Middletown, Ohio, with whom he remained a year, and so faithfully did he perform his duties that when Mr. Martin learned that Abner wished to embark in the mercantile business on his own account he offered to purchase his goods for him, advance the money without security or interest, and wait six months for his pay. This promise was faithfully carried out, and in March, 1828, Abner loaded two wagons with merchandise and started for La Fayette,
Indiana, accompanied by two brothers, James and John, and a brother-in-law, John Cornwhait, the brothers driving a four-horse team, and Mr. Cornwhait a three-horse team. After two days' drive the goods were loaded upon a boat, and the brothers and brother-in-law returned home. Mr. Baker pursued his way, stopping to trade at every Indian village. At night they would tie up the boat and sleep upon the banks of the river. One night Mr. Baker and Captain Wright made their bed together of coverlids that Mr. Baker had carried from home. Mr. B. arose at daylight, and turning around espied a large timber rattlesnake lying between Captain Wright and the spot from which he had just arisen. He shouted to the Captain, informing him of his dangerous bedfellow, whereupon the Captain gave a sudden bound, and thus escaped from his deadly foe. Mr. Baker killed the reptile and preserved the ten rattles for several years. It was Mr. Baker's plan to go directly to La Fayette, having visited that point the year previous; but when he reached Logansport he was persuaded by General Tipton to unload his goods at that point and open his store. He was the first person that sold goods there. General Tipton and his interpreter were the only settlers. After being there a few days he inquired of the interpreter what his board-bill would be, and upon being informed that it would be $14 per week, he shipped his goods to LaFayette by the first boat. He rented a store from William Digby, paying $4 a month, and boarded with Colonel Johnson for $1.75 per week. Here he remained during the summer. In September he was taken very ill with fever, and as soon as he was sufficiently recovered he returned home to recruit his health. His brother William packed up his goods and kept them until his return. In February, 1829, he went to Cincinnati and purchased a bill of goods, taking them himself to La Fayette. During his journey he camped out at night and was surrounded by wolves every night. The first summer he was in La Fayette he purchased 132 feet frontage on Main street, and built a one-story frame house upon it. It was the first painted house in La Fayette. Into this new house he put his new goods and his old. About the time he was fairly settled in his new store, John Ross went to see him and induced him to come to the new town of Jefferson. He at once purchased two lots of David Kilgore for $5 each, the choicest lots in the plat, one being a corner lot and the other adjoining. He bought a third lot of Samuel Olinger for $25, which was not as desirable as either of the others. He had a house built for which he paid $10, exclusive of the door which Mr. Baker was to furnish himself. For two or three months he had no door except a blanket which his mother had given him before leaving home. He wishes to say for the Indians that he lived in this chinked, undaubed log house, 16x20, with his blanketed door all summer without losing any of his goods or being robbed of his money. They would not enter after dark without being bidden to
do so. They encamped within ten rods of his store, armed with guns many nights, but he was never insulted nor annoyed by them. Mr. Baker did a very profitable business until General Jackson removed the deposits. At this time he was in debt $9,000 for goods. His creditors were considerably frightened and came to see him; but after examining the situation, they went back satisfied that Mr. Baker would pay his debts if not molested. After settling up his business he had $1,300 left. He bought four eight-acre lots in Wabash County and nine in Kosciusco County, a part of which he still owns. He then went to farming, and has since followed that vocation. He now owns between 500 and 600 acres where he resides. His two sons also reside on this farm. The eighty acres upon which his barn stands was the first eighty entered in Clinton County, and is described as west half of southwest quarter of section 12. Mr. Baker was the first one married in this county. In August, 1830, he was married to Catherine W. Hood, daughter of John and Nancy Hood. She was born in Westport, Kentucky, in September, 1811. Her father purchased a farm in Indiana, opposite Westport, where he lived from 1810 until 1829, when he brought his family to this county, settling near Jefferson, whore they remained until their death. They lie buried in Jefferson Cemetery. Mr. Baker put the first headstone and the first monument in this cemetery to the memory of his wife's sister, who was the second person buried there. Mr. Baker's ancestors came from Scotland and settled in South Carolina before the Revolution. Mr. and Mrs. Baker have had twelve children, of whom seven are living — Matilda died at the age of four weeks; Dr. Robert Fulton is living at Davenport, Iowa, and was at one time a professor in a medical college; Hood S., lives in Warsaw, Indiana; Theodore died when less than two years of age; Henry Clay, died when about two years old; Caroline N., wife of David Todd, who is believed to be the oldest Presbyterian minister in Kansas; Lucy A., wife of Joseph Burroughs, a resident of Wabash, Indiana; Catherine, wife of John Ray, now deceased; John Q., living on a farm near his father's; Knox, also a farmer; Linnaeus S., living in Jefferson. Mr. Baker is a liberal Republican in politics. He has taken the Cincinnati Gazette fifty-four years without intermission, and still continues to take it. He was justice of the peace for many years, his jurisdiction extending over the whole county. In 1830 he ran for county clerk, and came within two votes of being elected. He took the first paper that was sent to this county by mail, which was the Liberty Ball and Cincinnati Gazette. He was the first person to bring dry-goods into the county, and he built the first house on a town lot, and when he built it Chicago was unknown. He says that people came from Indianapolis to Jefferson to buy their salt, and for ten years Jefferson sold more dry goods than Indianapolis. In 18481 Mr. Baker took 300 barrels of pork to New York, that was packed at Jefferson, and cleared $500 on it over and above his expenses. He has heard many of the greatest orators of his day, among them being Henry Clay (who spoke to 50,000 people), John C. Calhoun, Tom Benton, Ben Butler and also his father, General Houston of Texas, Butler of South Carolina, Jeff Davis, Tom Corwin, General Scott and Cass, and in 1825 heard Lorenzo Dow preach to a large audience. He is in the enjoyment of good health, and although seventy-eight years old has in the past year visited eleven of the United States and Canada, and is contemplating a visit to the Southern States.

WILLIAM M. BRADEN, farmer, sections 4, 9 and 10, Washington
Township, was born March 26, 1837, on the same farm that his father entered when he came to this county. His parents were Burr and Mary D. (Jenners) Braden. His father was born in Loudoun County, Virginia, in 1802, spending his early life in that county. His educational advantages were good for those days. His father was once very wealthy. He was a ship-owner, and during the war of 1812 his vessels were destroyed by British cruisers. He was a slave-holder, and before his death he liberated over 100 slaves, sending them to Liberia; the greater part of them, however, came back to " Old Virginia." The father of our subject moved to La Fayette, Indiana, where he engaged in the mercantile trade for several years, then came to this county in 1830, entered his land and lived on it eight years, then moved to Jefferson. He inherited quite a large property from his father, and when he came to Indiana he brought several blooded horses, with carriages and wagons, and money enough to purchase a good stock of dry-goods. He died in 1861, leaving an estate valued at $30,000, though he had previously started each of his sons in business. He was formerly a Whig and latterly a Republican. The mother of our subject was born in Virginia, and died in 1862, and is buried beside her husband. William M. was first married March 25, 1863, to Mattie Campbell, daughter of James C. and Hester (McClure) Campbell. Her father was a native of Ohio. He was a harness- maker by trade and came to La Fayette, Indiana, in a very early day. He moved to Jefferson about the year 1850, and died here in 1867. Mrs. Braden was born in 1843, in La Fayette, Indiana, and died with consumption in 1863. She is buried in Jefferson. Mr. Braden was a second time married, in May, 1865, to Laura V. Watt Her father was a native of England, and her mother of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Braden have three children — Mary J., Robert, and Alva. Mr. Braden owns 240 acres of land on section 9, eighty-four acres on section 10, and twenty-nine acres on section 4. His early education was received in the common district school. Later he attended Wabash College three years. He has never Bought office though frequently importuned to become a candidate. Politically he is a Republican.

E. P.
CARTER, farmer, section 31, Washington Township, was born in Clinton County, Indiana, October 1, i841, a son of Richard and Eleanor (Byers) Carter, and a grandson of Jesse Carter and Ephraim Byers, the former of English and the latter of Irish descent. His paternal great-grandfather, William Carter, was an early settler of Clinton County, where he died at the age of ninety-two years, and his grandfather died aged eighty-eight years. His maternal grandfather died in Weston, Missouri, of cholera, and his grandmother, Catherine Byers, died in Clinton County. E. P. Carter was reared in his native county, receiving a good education, and from 1862 until 1880 (save two years) taught during the winter. He was married January 1, 1861, to Sarah A. Hutchison, daughter of Robert M. and Elizabeth (Davis) Hutchison. She died October 24, 1865, leaving three children — Geneva, William H. and Julia E. December 25, 1868, Mr. Carter married Amy A. Morris, daughter of GK W. and Abia Morris. To them have been born eight children, five of whom are deceased, all save one dying in infancy. Allie May, a very interesting and amiable little girl, died aged nine years. Those living are— Jennie, Roy and Bert. Mrs. Carter died September 11, 1882. Mr. Carter is a member of the United Brethren church. In politics he was formerly a Republican but now affiliates with the Prohibitionists.

WILLIAM J. CRULL was born in Scioto County, Ohio, September
16, 1836. He attended the common schools, and finished his education at the Ohio Wesleyan University, in Delaware County. Upon leaving school he taught five years as a stepping-stone to his business life. He first entered the mercantile trade at Harrisonville, Ohio, which he followed seventeen years. He then sold out his business and came to this county. February 21, 1880, he was married to Emma D. Allen, daughter of Moses and Rachel (Crull) Allen, born September 16, 1854. [See sketch of Moses Allen.] Mr. Crull is a son of John H. and Sally (Squire) Crull. His father was born in Scioto County, March 7, 1807, where he lived, and died January 9, 1877, within a mile of his birth-place. His grandfather, Samuel Crull, came from Morgantown, Virginia, to Scioto County, Ohio, in 1805, and bought a large tract of land and settled his four sons about him; all died upon the farms he gave them. He was born in Morgantown, in 1784, where he was reared. He married Jane (Howell) Crull, who was born in 1786, and died in 1842, in Scioto County. She and her husband are buried in Harrisonburg Cemetery. Samuel was in the general call of the war of 1812, and was judge of the Common Pleas Court in Scioto County four years. The Crulls were of German ancestry. Two brothers, Jacob and George, were sent to America and settled in Virginia.  Jacob was the great-grandfather of William J., and he died in Scioto County. George died in Virginia. It is said that these two brothers were sent to America by people who wished to secure their property left them by their father. His maternal grandfather's name was Nathaniel Squire, and he was born in Connecticut in 1783. He farmed on the Genesee River, near Elmira, New York, and in 1819 came to Scioto County with his wife, whose maiden name was Mary Bennett. He died in 1853, and his wife died in 1856. Both died near Harrisonville. Mr. Crull's mother was born in May, 1810, near Elmira, New York, and came with her parents to Ohio in 1819, where she now resides. Mr. and Mrs. Crull have one son — Finton A., born March 30, 1882. Mr. Crull is a Republican in politics. Both were reared Methodists, but neither are members of that church at present. Mr. Crull owns 326 acres of land in Washington and Perry townships.

JOHN W. COLE, farmer, section 31, Washington Township, was
born in La Porte County, Indiana, February 4, 1843. When he was eight years of age his mother died, and he went to live with an uncle, Ira Erwin, who brought him to this county two years later. His parents had four children — William L., John M., James E. and Andrew Jackson. William L. and Andrew J. are deceased; the latter was killed at the battle of Chickamauga. John L. grew to manhood in this county, and enlisted in Company H, Third Cavalry and Forty-fifth Volunteer Regiment, under Captain Geddes at first, and later, Captain Uriah Young, Colonel Kline commanding a battalion of three companies. He served as Orderly at brigade headquarters. He enlisted September 10, 1861, and was discharged at Camp Crook, Georgia, September 27, 1864. He returned to Frankfort, and has remained in this county ever since. His father, John C. Cole, lives in La Porte, Indiana, and is married again. His mother, Elizabeth Cole, died when he was so young that he has very little knowledge of her. February 29, 1872, Mr. Cole married Ann Eliza Douglas, daughter of Thomas S. and Lucy M. (Hughes) Douglas. Her father was born in Ohio, May 3, 1826, where he lived until he was eight years of age, when his father died, and he came to this county with his mother and nine other children, and settled in Center Township, then Jackson Township, where the family grew to maturity. His mother died in May, at the advanced age of eighty-one years, and is buried at Farmer's Chapel Hill Cemetery.  He married in this county in 1848, and is now living in La Bette County, Kansas. His wife died October 11, 1863, leaving seven children, Mrs. Cole being the eldest. He again married in 1864, and in 1881 sold his farm in Center Township and moved to Kansas. The children are — Ann Eliza, born in this county November 22, 1849; Margaret E., William D., Mary V., Lydia J., Lenora B. and Lucy M. Mr. Douglas was a remarkable hunter. Squirrels used to be so thick around him that he was obliged to scare them away to enable him to get sight on a turkey. One week he killed six deer. Mr. and Mrs. Cole have one child— William A., born July 12, 1868. Mr. Cole has served his township very acceptably as supervisor of roads. He is a member of the United Brethren church, and in politics is independent.

ISAAC FICKLE, farmer, section 6, Washington Township, was
born in Perry County, Ohio, April 2, 1815, son of William and Ann (Thompson) Fickle. His father was born in Virginia in 1784, and moved to Perry County with his parents when ten years of age. When he had arrived at maturity he went into the woods and made a new farm of 320 acres. He was a man of strong constitution, and cleared his land himself. He commenced with just money enough to enter the land from the Government. In the spring of 1834 he sold his farm and came immediately to Clinton County and purchased an improved farm, and in the fall brought his family here. He at one time owned 2,600 acres of land. One- half of this he had entered from the Government; but before his death he divided it among his children. His death occurred September 14, 1847, and he was buried in old Providence Cemetery.  The grandfather of Isaac was born in Germany. His Grandfather Fickle married an English woman, whose name is unknown. His mother was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1781. Her parents came to America when she was eleven years old, first landing in Philadelphia. They remained in Pennsylvania a short time, then moved to Perry County, Ohio. Besides the parents that came to the United States, there were seven children, viz. — Samuel, Ann,William, Isaac and Hugh (twins), John, and Jane. Ann (Isaac's mother) died September 14, 1857, and was buried beside her husband. February 14, 1838, Isaac was married to Jane M. Miller, daughter of Robert and Nancy (Bell) Miller, natives of South Carolina, where the daughter was also born September 24, 1816. Her father came to this county in February, 1829, settling in Madison Township, where he lived until 1841, then sold his property and removed to Mercer County, Illinois, where both parents died. Mrs. Fickle died December 22, 1863, leaving four children — William, born August 24, 1839; Robert M., born July 8, 1841; Nancy A., born December 18, 1843, and Sarah E., born April 18, 1846. May 22, 1873. Mr. Fickle married Sarah E. Wade, daughter of William and Mary E. (White) Wade, who came from Pennsylvania to Jackson County, Ohio, thence to Kansas, where the parents died. The second wife died January 7, 1877, leaving one child — Mary E., born July 19, 1876. Robert M., the eldest child, was married October 1, 1867, to Elizabeth J. Baird, daughter of Hugh and Agnes (Buchanan) Baird, natives of Perry County, Ohio. The father was born December 24, 1825, and the mother in 1827. They came to this county in the fall of 1854. The mother died in Bates County, Missouri. The father is still living. Mr. and Mrs. Robert Fickle have two children — Clarence V., born August 29, 1875; Roy C., born September 15, 1879. Robert and his father are both elders in the United Presbyterian church. Isaac has held the office of supervisor and of school director. Politically he is a Democrat. He came to this county in 1834, his brother John and sister Nancy having come the spring previous. Nancy married James Hazlett.

H. R.
HAMILTON was born in Israel Township, Preble County, Ohio, September 8, 1824. When he was fifteen years of age he came to this county with his parents and three other children, who first settled on section 27, Madison Township, where the parents died several years afterward. He remained with his parents until he was twenty-one years old, and December 11, 1845, he married Mary B. Coulter, daughter of James and Mary Coulter, the former a native of Ireland, and the latter of South Carolina. Mary B. Coulter was born in Butler County, Ohio, February 4, 1824. To this union were born seven children, five of whom are living — Martha E., H. Audley, Jessie W., Charles C. and Barbara J. Mrs. Hamilton is also rearing a granddaughter named Elizabeth, and a nephew of Mr. Hamilton is a member of the family. The father of our subject, Alexander Hamilton, was born in South Carolina, about sixty miles from Charleston. When he was seven years old  his parents moved to Henry County, Kentucky , remaining there twelve years, then moved to Preble County, Ohio, where his father died. His great-grandfather, Alexander by name, came to America in 1775, on the king's bounty, promising 160 acres of land to all emigrants; but when he arrived here he was disappointed. He entered the Revolutionary army and served seven years, the most of the time under General Greene. He first landed at Charleston, South Carolina, and found himself in the midst of royalists, who frequently threatened his life; one man snapped a gun at him seven times, but the gun failed to fire, and the Tory went away saying, " He was not to be killed with bullets." In 1808 be settled in Preble County, Ohio. The father of Mrs. H. R. Hamilton came to America when he was about twenty-five years old, settled and was married, and both died in Butler County, Ohio, the father dying in 1834, and the mother when Mary was five weeks old. Mary then lived with her grandfather, James Brown, and two aunts, Martha and Elizabeth. In 1837 the father with his two daughters (Martha and Elizabeth), and Mary came to this county and settled upon the farm now owned by Mrs. Hamilton. The first log cabin built by James Brown is still standing, but has been clapboarded since his death, which occurred April 30, 1838. Martha and Elizabeth are deceased; the former died May 25,1879, and the latter January 10, 1881. All are buried in the Providence Cemetery. Mr. Hamilton has one of the finest brick farm-houses in the county. It is of the Queen Anne style, and cost $5,000. The inside is of hard wood, with oil finish, except two rooms. The size is 64 x 34 feet, the walls are fourteen inches, the partitions are of brick, and the roof is covered with slate. The architect was John Hammond, of Frankfort, and the carpentering was done by Jesse Sweet, of Mulberry. The foundation is five feet of stone, twenty-six inches at the bottom and eighteen inches at the top, and was made from broken boulders found on the farm. The house has 110,000 brick. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton are members of the United Presbyterian church, of which Mr. Hamilton is an elder. He has been appointed administrator of several estates, and politically is a Republican.

AMOS HEAVILON, farmer, living on section 18, Washington
Township, is the owner of 240 acres of well-improved land. His parents brought him to this county in October, 1830, when he was two years of age. His parents were Joseph and Lydia (Stephen) Heavilon. There were twelve children, seven of whom came with their parents. Three had previously died and two had preceded the family to Clinton County. The names of the children are as follows — Deborah, born November 24, 1806, in Monmouth County, New Jersey, now living in Valparaiso, has been twice married, first to Samuel Young in Ohio, who brought her to Clinton County in 1829; her husband died twelve years later and she married William Thatcher, whose widow she now is; Taylor, born July 17, 1808 (see sketch); Johnson, born March 13, 1810, in Monmouth County, New Jersey, and died July 5, 1811, in same county; Sarah A., born November 6, 1811, in Butler County, Ohio, died March 5, 1874, and is buried in Jefferson Cemetery; Polly, born August 17, 1813, in Butler County, Ohio, and is living
with her brother Amos; Lydia, born July 13, 1815, and died July 3, 1817, in Butler County; Phebe, born in Butler County, April 5, 1817, and died November 28, 1842; Catherine, born January 25, 1819, and died the following April; Elizabeth, born April 6, 1820, and died February 20, 1883, in Vermilion County, Illinois; Hannah, born May 11, 1822, and died September 21, 1847, in Jefferson; Jane, born December 15, 1824, now living in Paris, the county seat of Edgar County, Illinois; and Amos, the subject of this sketch and the youngest of the family. Joseph, the father of Amos, was born in Monmonth County, New Jersey, August 29, 1780, where he grew to manhood and was married, removing soon after to Butler County, Ohio, supporting himself and his family by working at the carpenter's trade, which he had learned at the home of his boyhood. In 1830 he moved to Clinton County with his family. He was a good workman, an exemplary citizen, a member of the M. E. church, and he died leaving an unsullied name. He is buried in Jefferson Cemetery. The mother of our subject was born in the same State and county as his father, April 1, 1785, where she was reared and married. She died in Clinton County, March 31, 1866, and is buried beside her husband. She was a devoted wife, a loving mother, and a consistent Christian, being a member of the Methodist Episcopal church for thirty -five years. The father of Joseph Heavilon, whose name was Thomas, was born in England, and came to America after he had reached manhood, settling in New Jersey. His mother, whose maiden name was Anna Taylor, was born in New Jersey. The father of his wife, Abram Sutphen, came from Scotland with his brother Aaron, settling in New Jersey. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, serving from its beginning until its close. Amos was born in Butler County, Ohio, August 15, 1828, and was brought to this county when a babe, and this has been his home ever since. He commenced a farmer's life when a boy, renting land when he was ten years of age, his father assisting him. In this way he toiled for fifteen years, when he purchased thirty-seven and a half acres. From this small beginning he added farm to farm until he owned a large tract of land. His health becoming impaired he sold all his farms except his present one, which he has rented mostly for the past fifteen years, devoting his time to loaning money. He built a barn in 1878 that cost $2,200. In 1882 he built an elegant frame house at a cost of $3.000. His life shows the possibilities that America holds out for those who will. Starting out a humble laborer, he has by industry and economy massed an ample fortune.

JOSEPH HEAVILON, farmer, residing on section 12, owns ninety-
nine acres on section 12, 120 acres on section 11, and on section 7, seventy acres, a total of 290 acres. He was born in Wisconsin Territory, May 29, 1810, and is a son of Taylor and Sally (Potter) Heavilon. [See sketch of Taylor Heavilon.] When five years of age he came to this county with his parents, where he was reared and educated in the primary studies. He finished his education at Battle Ground Institute, having previously attended two years at Antioch College, Ohio. After completing his education he taught school during the winter and worked on the farm in summer for about eight years. He worked by the month, and on his father's farm. He has now as good a farm as there is in the county. February 23, 1865, he married Jennie P. Carter, who was born in this county January 12, 1848, and died November 19, 1873, and is buried in Jefferson Cemetery. She left three children — Sally, born February, 1866; Jesse, born September 22,1871; Jennie, born October 22, 1873. For his second wife Mr. Heavilon married Jessie R. Carter, March 14, 1876. She was a daughter of Richard J. and Ellen (Byers) Carter and a sister of his first wife. [See sketch of R. J. Carter.] Mrs. Heavilon was born in Clinton County on the old homestead November 8, 1856, where she was reared and educated. She attended the high school at Frankfort but did not graduate. Mr. and Mrs. Heavilon have five children — Richard, born December 28, 1876; Mary A., born March 2, 1878; Joseph P., born December 22, 1880; Franklin C., born October 10, 1883, and Julia E., born October 9, 1885. Mrs. Heavilon is a member of the Presbyterian church, and in politics Mr. Heavilon affiliates with the Republican party.

TAYLOR HEAVILON came to this county in the fall of 1829, in
company with his sister Deborah, and her husband, Samuel Young. In the fall of 1830 he went to Butler County, Ohio, and brought his parents to his new home, and they settled upon the farm now owned by his son Joseph. He first bought five acres of David Kilgore, and afterward bought 120 acres adjoining the five acres of the heirs of the same man. He and his youngest brother, Amos, entered land in partnership, and purchased 320 acres one mile and a half southeast of Jefferson, which they owned two years, then divided and the old farm came into Taylor's possession. The parents moved over to keep house for Amos, who was a bachelor, and there they both died. For further particulars in the lives of Joseph and Lydia (Sutphen) Heavilon, parents of Taylor, see sketch of Amos Heavilon. In 1832 Taylor went to Chicago and worked four years at the carpenter's trade. In the fall of 1836 he went to Milwaukee, where he worked at his trade one year. June 17, 1837, he was married to Sally Potter, who
was born in Wells, Rutland County, Vermont. When she was eight years of age her family moved to Little Falls, New York, where they lived two years. Sally then went to Essex County to live with a sister) where she remained until she was fourteen years old; then went to Crown Point with her sister and husband, where they lived about a year; then moved to Ferrysburgh, Ohio, for two years; thence to Milwaukee, where Sally was married to Mr. Heavilon. After marriage they lived in Milwaukee three years, then made a claim in Washington County, Wisconsin. This was before the land was in market, and when it did come into market Taylor bid off 60 acres, which was all that came into market at that time. On this claim he and his wife commenced keeping house. They were eleven miles from Milwaukee, up the river on the road to Green Bay. The first six months they were there their nearest neighbor was four miles away, so they had no neighborhood quarrels or jealousies. He sold his land to a Prussian, and returned to Clinton County, settling in Washington Township. The first election held in the township was at Mr. Heavilon's house. At that time he was elected county recorder, and held the office as long as he lived there, and the election was always held at his house. It was originally the purpose of Mr. and Mrs. Heavilon to settle in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, but changing their minds they returned to Washington instead, and settled in Jefferson Village. Here they kept a hotel, and also carried on a general store, making plenty of money. During this time he improved his farm, and in 1859 settled upon it, where Mrs. Heavilon now resides. Taylor H. died December 25, 1 874. He was born July 17, 1808, in Monmouth County, New Jersey. He left a large estate. Mr. and Mrs. Heavilon had eleven children, five now living — Lydia, wife of Harmon Auhe; Joseph; Charlotte, wife of Mordecai Kyger; Abel, a lawyer and graduate of Chicago University; Franklin; Phebe A. died in Jefferson at the age of seventeen months; Ellen died of consumption at the age of nine years; Sophronia, died aged four years; Fannie died when two weeks old; Sally died at the age of four years and two months; Willie died aged about two years. All are buried in Jefferson Cemetery. Taylor was a Republican, but not an office seeker. At the first election in "Washington County, Wisconsin, Mrs. Heavilon was elected school commissioner. At that time there was not a school in the county, nor more than twenty-five voters. The majority were Democrats, yet she received all the votes.

LEANDEE JACOBS, section 7, Washington Township, was born in
Mason County, Kentucky, March 12, 1807, a son of Samuel and Mary Jacobs. He came to Clinton County, January 4, 1830, his brother John having preceded him in 1829. He was married December 30, 1830, to Elizabeth Ryan,who was born in Preble County, Ohio, May 22, 1813. They have had fourteen children, nine of whom are living — Richard K., Samuel, Reuben R., John W., Mary, Nancy E., William T., Benjamin A. and Charles E. In politics Mr. Jacobs is a Democrat. He is a member of the United Brethren church.

ROBERT MATTIX, section 19, Washington Township, was born in
Butler County, Ohio, March 25, 1819, a son of John and Ann (Greer) Mattix. In October, 1832, his' parents moved to Clinton County, Indiana, and settled in Washington Township, where the father died in 1835, and the mother several years later, aged seventy years. Robert Mattix was but sixteen years old when his father died, and he and his brothers were obliged to work hard to clear the frontier farm. He was married May 16, 1844, to Phoebe Cornelison, who was born in Butler County, Ohio, January 14, 1826, a daughter of Timothy and Elizabeth (Hunt) Cornelison. Mr. and Mrs. Mattix have had ten children, eight of whom are living — Ann E., Timothy, Rachel J., Jesse D., John T., Phoebe E., Alfred and Rilla Belle. Ephraim and an infant are deceased.

GEORGE R. MATTOX, farmer, section 36, Washington Township, was born in this township October 27, 1850, and is a son of Ira
and Rachel (Short) Mattox. His father died in this county when George was one year old, and was buried in the Associated Cemetery. His mother was born in Ohio and came to this county with her father, where she was married and has since resided. She now lives with an adopted daughter, Susanna Fogle. George remained with his mother until he reached his majority, and attended the district schools of his township. He then commenced farming for himself. He has had one brother and three sisters — Alfred, Christiana, Rebecca (deceased). Anna (also deceased), and George. August 11, 1876, he was married to Isabella S. Reichart, daughter of Charles and Mary Ann (Owen) Reichart. Her father was barn in Berks County, Pennsylvania, and died when Isabella was nine years old, living one year after his removal to this county. He is buried in Egypt Cemetery. Her mother was also born in Berks County, where she was reared and educated. Mrs. Mattox was born August 11, 1855, in Pennsylvania, and came to this county with her parents where she was married. Mr. and Mrs. Mattox have four children — Rosy M., born April 17, 1876; Nora M., born June 22, 1878; John J., born October 3, 1880, and Grace E., born February 27, 1832. Mr. Mittox has started a carp pond on his farm near his home on the Spring Branch. He has it partly dug out and has thirty-four carp in it. He thinks that in two years he will have all the fish he wants. The place is naturally adapted to carp culture. It is a clear spring, running plenty of water in the dryest seasons. Mrs. Mattox is a member of the Lutheran church. Mr. Mattox affiliates with the Democratic party.

WILLIAM T. McBRIDE was born in Butler County, Ohio, March
4, 1827, son of James and Jane (Thompson) McBride, the former a native of Ireland and the latter of Butler County. His father was born in 1786, coming to America with his parents when very young. He died January 28, 1836. William came to this county with his parents when he was seven of age. After his father's death he remained with his mother, attending school in the old log school-house, and rendering such assistance at home as his years and time would permit. There were nine children in his father's family — John, Peggy, Ann, Jane and James (twins), Andrew, William, Susanna and Thomas. All are deceased, and five are buried in the old Providence Cemetery. April 16, 1865, William was married to Eva Bowmaster, daughter of Solomon and Anna (Weaver) Bowmaster. Her father was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in 1823. He was married in 1842, in Ashland County, Ohio, and in 1848 went to California, where he was very successful in mining. He returned in 1876 and attended the Centennial Exposition at Philadelphia, after an absence of twenty-eight years. Through his brother-in-law he lost $17,000. He is now living in Winfield, Kansas. Mrs. McBride's mother was born in Center County, Pennsylvania, February 8, 1815. She was first married to Samuel Rodeeker. Her death occurred March 29, 1884. William McBride died June 17, 1872, and is buried in Jefferson Cemetery. He left an estate worth $35,000. There were two children — James S., born January 14, 1868, and William T., born November 24, 1872. Mr. McBride was a Democrat and a member of the United Presbyterian church. November 30, 1882, Mrs. McBride was again married to Henry G. McNutt, who was born near Dayton, Ohio, March 22, 1830. He was first married to Hannah Fernald, who was born March 14, 1834, and died July 21, 1855, in Edgar County, Illinois. She left one child — Lawrence, born October 4, 1854. Mr. McNutt died March 30, 1885, and is buried in Jefferson Cemetery. The brothers and sisters of Mrs. McBride were — Mary A., wife of Edward Ohio; Rachel, wife of Abram Frederick; Davolt married Eliza Shaunberger; David married, for his second wife, Mattie Walter; Levi married Eva Holmes; John married Rebecca Kean; Kittie first married Captain Clarence, second husband was Andrew Ernest, and third husband was Judge Kramer; Fred married Rosa Culbertson.

WILLIAM PETERS, JR., was born September 25, 1803, in Lehigh
County, Pennsylvania, a son of William and Julia A. (Kern) Peters, natives of the same county. In 1830 the father came to Indiana and entered land in Clinton County, and in October, 1831, William, Jr., located on this land. The same year the father moved his family to the county. He died in the fifty-seventh year of his age, his widow surviving until seventy-three years old. Our subject was married January 13, 1829, to Laura Steinspring, who was born in Ohio, December 11, 1814, and died November 4, 1841. Their children were — Henry S., born November 17, 1830; Julia A., October 13, 1832; Adam S., April 18, 1834; Sarah C , March 25, 1836; Augustus A., November 23, 3837; Lorinda, December 19, 1839; Elizabeth, October 27, 1841. The latter died in infancy. Mr. Peters was married a second time, to Elizabeth Gault, who was born November 25, 1804, and died March 18, 1867. In politics Mr. Peters is a Democrat. He is a member of the Reformed church.

O. M.
PETTY, farmer, section 31, Washington Township, was born in Frankfort, this county, May 24, 1839, a son of Charles M. and Diana D. (Pence) Petty. His father was born in Culpeper County, Virginia. He came to this county in 1838, bringing his wife and only son, John A., now sheriff of Clinton County. They came all the way in a covered wagon. He settled in Frankfort and established a tannery in company with his father. Both had learned the trade, and always followed it. At one time he and an employee were hauling lumber along the old Delphi road from Jacob Baughman's saw-mill, when the horses were frightened at something and became unmanageable. Mr. Petty, who was driving, was thrown out, run over and instantly killed. He was buried at South Cemetery, in Frankfort. He was an exemplary Christian, being a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and died lamented by all who knew him. He was one of the founders of the Methodist church at Frankfort. The mother of our subject was born in Rockingharn County, Virginia, in 1810, and died July 2, 1881, the day that President Garfield was shot, on the farm her husband first owned in Indiana. There were three sons in the family — John Abner, Charles M. and James F. All are living in this county, and two of them reside in Frankfort. Mr. Petty has paddled his own canoe ever since he was twelve years old. His father's death left the estate in an unfortunate condition. He says he has worked many a day for 5 and 10 cents a day. He has often had to go and buy a sack of corn, bring it home, shell it, take a hand-cart and wheel it a mile and a half to the mill, and get it ground to make mush with. And one these sons struggled along until they reached manhood, and have become useful members of society. Mr. Petty has served as coroner of Clinton County eight years, and John A. has been sheriff two terms. Both are representative men. After reaching manhood Mr. ^Petty worked by the month nine years. He worked seven years for one man, Aaron Bunnell, then bought his present farm in 1861, lived on it five years, then rented it out and removed to Frankfort where he engaged in the livery business with his brother. He followed this business, in connection with keeping a hotel, for a few months, then sold out and commenced running a hack line from Frankfort to Colfax. This he found more profitable than anything he had previously engaged in. He carried on this business alone about fifteen months when he consolidated with his brothers, John and James F., and Isaac Cook. The latter was at that time running a line from Frankfort to La Fayette. This firm now run two hack lines and three livery stables. They bought and shipped horses in addition to their other business and continued for a year and a half when our subject sold out his interest, to the other partners, and went into the furniture and undertaking business with G. W. Goodwin, H. H. Brady and N. M. Hughes as partners. This partnership continued five years, then he bought out Mr. Goodwin and sold to Steele & Clark and engaged in the grocery business for five years, though not continuously. Be came to the farm April 8, 1884. In 1860 he married Eliza P. Gray, daughter of John and Sarah Douglas Gray, who was born February 23, 1841, on the farm now owned by Mr. Petty. Her father was a native of Scotland and her mother of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Petty have had eight children — Sallie F., Lew Wallace, Jennie B., Fred, Ada and Ida (twins), Burt Ray, Mabel Snow, and Maggie A., who died at the age of sixteen months. Mr. Petty is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and politically is a Democrat.

ROBERT W. SEAGER, farmer, sections 23 and 24, was born in
Jefferson Village, September 20, 1845. He was only sixteen years old when he entered the army, enlisting in Company C, Tenth Indiana Infantry, September 18, 1861, and was discharged with his regiment September 19, 1864. He was in the Fourteenth Army Corps, General Thomas being his first brigade commander. He participated in the battles of Mill Springs, Kentucky; siege of Corinth, Perryville, Mission Ridge, Chickamauga, Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain, Chattahoochee River, and was with Sherman from Chattanooga to Atlanta and Jonesboro, when his regiment was relieved and returned to Indianapolis, where it was mustered out. Mr. Seager then returned home to Jefferson where he lived four years with his mother, his father having died in 1861. He then went to Tippecanoe County and rented a farm for a short time, but finally came back to the old farm, where his brother John then lived, George having died while he was in Tippecanoe County. He and his brother John then divided the property, Robert taking his present farm for his share. January 22, 1869, he was married to Margaret J. Patton, who was born in Missouri, September 6, 1846. She was brought to this county by her parents when an infant. Her family finally settled in Perry Township, Tippecanoe County, where she was reared, educated and married.Her father, David M. B. Patton, was born in Kentucky, November 25, 1814. He was brought by his parents to Indiana at an early day. They afterward removed to Missouri where he was reared to manhood. He studied for the ministry and commenced preaching in Indiana after his marriage. He is now on the Burlington Circuit, Indiana. He is a United Brethren. Her mother, Deborah (Neal) Patton, was reared in South Carolina, and died in 1884 in Tippecanoe County. Mr. and Mrs. Seager have five children — George D., born Jane 4, 1871, in Jefferson Village; Charles W., born July 2, 1874, in Tippecanoe County; Wilbur N., born August 7, 1876, in Tippecanoe County; William R., born July 25, 1878, in Dayton, Indiana, and Jennie C., born July 8, 1880, in Jefferson Village. Mr. Seager has seventy-four acres of land on section 24, and eighty acres on section 23. In politics he is a Republican.

ISAAC N. SLIPHER has 220 acres of land on section 12, Washington
Township, bought of Moses Harshman, one of the first settlers of this county. He was born in Ross, now Madison, Township, Clinton County, November 11, 1844, son of David and Mary (Scott) Slipher. His parents came from Butler County, Ohio, starting March 4, 1830, and traveling by sleigh to Michigan City. Isaac was reared and educated in his native town and remained at home until he was twenty-three years of age. From the time he was twelve years of age he had managed his father's farm. He then commenced saw-milling and running threshing machines. He and his father were partners in the threshing machines for twelve years. He then bought his father's interest and operated four steam threshers fourteen years. He has frequently threshed 50,000 bushels per annum with one machine, besides milling clover seed. He and his brother-in-law, William Peters, were partners nineteen years. Isaac then purchased his interest, and has carried on his business alone six years. He has three saw-mills in Camden County, Missouri, on the Osage River, where he has a market from all points of the world. In 1884 he bought 640 acres of timber land in Missouri, and is preparing to buy still more. The market in dry lumber is improving, and he is now shipping to St. Louis. His timber is burr oak, hickory and black walnut. His lumber prospects were never brighter, and lie expects to operate three steam threshers this year. On his farm in this county he has forty-five acres of oats, eighty acres of corn, 100 acres of wheat, and sixty acres of clover. His family live in Camden County,Missouri. He married Jennie Jones, who was born in Pennsylvania, and was brought to this county by her parents, Daniel and Mary Jones, when she was two years of age. Her father kept a hotel in Rossville, where Jennie was reared. They died in this county, leaving a large estate, and are buried in Fair Haven Cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Slipher have four children — Elta M., married, and living in Osage, Missouri; David J., named after his two grandparents; Daisy L. and Ollie. Mr. Slipher's farm in this county was first owned by David Kilgore. Mrs. Kilgore was the first white woman who lived in the county. She helped to carry rails to build the first fence. Mr. Slipher has two fish ponds on his
farm, and intends to have several more. He has thirty German carp that are large enough to breed. He 'is a member of the Reformed church, and in politics a Democrat. His grandfather, Stephen Slipher, voted for George Washington.

JOHN SNYDER, deceased, owned 111 acres of land on section 18,
and thirty acres on section 7, Washington Township. He and his wife came to this county December 10, 1847, traveling with a two- horse covered wagon, and settling near where Mrs. Snyder now lives. After her father's death Mr. Snyder bought out the heirs and then settled upon the farm. He was born in Butler County, Ohio, November 22, 1825. When he was four years old his parents died, and he was carried to Montgomery County, Indiana, where he remained three years, then was taken back to Butler County to the same farm where he was born, then owned by his uncle, Samuel Suyder, where he was reared and educated in the common schools. September 20, 1818, he was married in Preble County, Ohio, to Eleanor Vansickle, daughter of William and Rachel (Southard) Vansickle. [See sketch of John Vansickle.] Mrs. Snyder was born March 15, 1830. To this union have been born six children — William V., born November 8, 1849, in Preble County; Garrett D., born November 3, 1851; Eliza J., born June 19, 1854, wife of Eli Marvin, of Frankfort; Aaron H., born May 11, 1857; David J., born July 7, 1860, and died August 25, 1863; James M., born February 7, 1865. Mrs. Snyder's grandfather, John Vansickle, was born in Holland. He came to America and settled in New Jersey. Her grandmother's maiden name was Rachel Van Fleet. Her Grand- parents Southard were Baptists, and Mrs. Snyder was reared in the same faith. Mr. Snyder served as township trustee six years; also served as county commissioner.He was a member of the Reformed church, and in politics a Democrat.

JOSEPH E. STAFFORD was born in Clarke County, Ohio, February
7, 1825, where he spent his early manhood and received his education. He was a millwright by trade, and followed his occupation while he remained in Ohio; but after coming to this county he abandoned his trade except to repair his own mill. He settled in this county in 1854, and jointly with his brother-in-law, Cyrus Fence, purchased the farm and mill of John "W. Blair. In 1856 they divided the property, Mr. Stafford taking the farm, and Mr. Pence the mill. When he purchased the place there was a clearing of thirty acres, but no house. Mr. Stafford built a house, but as it was located on the mill property, it went with the mill. He then built another house, as fine a one as there was in that part of the county. He was married May 25, 1856, to Mary J. Pence, daughter of Abner C. and Anna J. (Bonnor) Pence. Her father
was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, June 28, 1808, and when he was twenty-five years old he moved to Clarke County, Ohio, where he remained two years, then came to Clinton County, Indiana, and settled in Killmore, where he is still living at a ripe old age. The town of Killmore is situated on a portion of his farm. He was a millwright by trade, and followed it in Virginia, but not extensively after coming to this county. He had a general stock of dry-goods in Killmore for a short time. He resides with his son on the farm he first purchased. Mrs Stafford's mother was born in Alabama, February 11, 1809. She moved to Ohio when a widow, having been married only six months when her first husband died. She married Mr. Pence in Clarke County, Ohio, and came with him to this county, where she died July 29, 1845. There were four children in the Pence family — Lucinda, born March 7, 1836, wife of Andrew Charles, and living in Jackson County, Kansas; Mary J., born July 31,1838, wife of our subject; Cyrus B., born April 15, 1841, is married and living in Killmore; and Martha A., born March 21, 1844. Mr. and Mrs. Stafford have had five children — Willis, born August 15, 1857, was married November 25, 1883, to Sarah H. Shanabarger; George S., born March 15, 1862, is unmarried; Joseph E., born February 4; 1864, married Emma Davidson in 1884; Pence, born May 10, 1866; all were born on the old homestead. Mr. Stafford died March 31, 1874, and was buried in Jefferson Cemetery. He was a great Republican worker, but did not seek public office. He came to this county with about $700,and left an estate worth $15,000. The Fences are of German ancestry. Mrs. Stafford's maternal grandmother's name was Christina Croburger.

JOHN STARKEY, one of the pioneers of Clinton County was born
in Queen Ann County, Maryland, January 1, 1800. He came to Clinton County in November, 1830, and entered a tract of Government land, built a log cabin and the next year returned to Delaware, and September 2, 1831, was married to Frances Rash, who was born in Kent County, Delaware, March 25, 1810, daughter of Daniel and Nancy (Dobson) Rash. After his marriage he returned to Indiana, and has now a good farm, well improved. Mr. and Mrs. Starkey have had eleven children, seven of whom are living — Nancy R., Daniel L., Elizabeth, Frances A., Mary W., John W. and Amanda J. Eliza J., Rebecca, James A. and Curtis B., are deceased. Mr. Starkey has fifty-two grandchildren and twelve great-grandchildren.

DAVID THOMPSON, a son of Samuel and Christiana (Harris)
Thompson, was born July 3, 1825, in Perry County, Ohio. When he was three years of age his parents immigrated to Clinton County, Indiana, bringing with them a family of nine children — Jane is the wife Dr. Gamble, of Elk Grove, Kansas; Elizabeth, widow of Jacob Ross, lives in Los Angeles, California; Nancy, wife of Alexander McNeal, is deceased; John lives in Sank County, Wisconsin; Samuel and Benjamin are deceased; David is our subject; Christiana is the wife of Alexander Campbell; Susanna is deceased; Mary, the tenth and youngest child, was born in Clinton County, and died when eleven years of age. The father, Samuel Thompson, was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, in 1778, and when three years of age came to America with his parents. They lived a few years in Pennsylvania and then moved to Perry County, Ohio, where Samuel was married in 1811, to Christiana Harris, daughter of Benjamin Harris, and in the fall of 1828 moved to Clinton County, Indiana, where Mr. Thompson died, April 3, 1853, and his widow the 14th day of the following June. David Thompson was married September 13, 1853, to Mary A. Bartmess a native of Tippecanoe County, Indiana, born March 28, 1829, a daughter of Jacob and Sophia Bartmess. Mrs. Thompson died April 14, 1855, leaving one son — Lawrence M., born October 26, 1854. Mr. Thompson was again married April 18, 1859, to Elizabeth Allen, who was born in Clinton County, Indiana, October 19, 1831, daughter of Stephen and Mary (Ross) Allen. They have six children— Stephen A., born February 27, 1860; Mary A., September 19, 1861; Samuel, July 23, 1863; Christiana, October 19, 1865; Sophia R., February 10, 1868; Olive F., March 6, 1870. Mr. Thompson has been a successful agriculturist, and now owns 700 acres of land in Clinton County, and 320 acres in Vermillion County, Indiana.

THOMAS THOMPSON, farmer, section 5, Washington Township, was
born near Somerset, in Perry County, Ohio, February 24, 1815, son of William and Mary (McBride) Thompson. His father was born in Ireland, and remained in his native country until he was four years of age, when his parents brought him to America and settled in Perry County. They were accompanied by their parents (grand- parents of our subject), and all died in Perry County. Thomas was married in October, 1838, to Eleanor Baird, daughter of Alexander and Hannah (Huston) Baird, the former a native of America, and the latter of Ireland. Eleanor was born in 1818, and died May 10, 1882, and is buried in Providence Cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson had three children — William, born December 24, 1840; John Huston, born August 23, 1850, and Martha, wife of Elias Hays, and living in Madison Township. William was a soldier of the civil war, enlisting in Second Illinois Cavalry. He was discharged at Springfield, Illinois. After he was mustered out he sent home his gun and has never since been heard from. Huston was married March 8, 1882, to Rachel E. Brelsford, daughter of David and Rebecca (Lucas) Brelsford. She was born in Tippecanoe County, Indiana, January 26, 1858. Her father was born January 26, 1824, in Butler County, Ohio, near Jacksonborough. He removed with his parents to Tippecanoe County, where he grew to manhood. He then crossed the plains to California, being 110 days on the road, and engaged in mining two years. He then returned via Isthmus of Panama, with money enough to purchase the old homestead, his parents having died during his absence. He died May 18, 1881. Mrs. Thompson's mother was born August 28, 1827, and died February 9, 1878. Both are buried at Salem Cemetery, Tippecanoe County. Mr. and Mrs. Huston Thompson have one child — Joe, born in April, 1884. Mrs. Thompson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and he is a Greenbacker in politics. Thomas Thompson came to this county in 1841, and purchased 160 acres of land, thirty acres of which had been cleared. A log cabin had been built by Thomas James. It was made of hewed logs, and was a very nice one. He built his frame house in 1861. He now has 100 acres under cultivation. His land was first owned by John McBride, an uncle; the second owner was Thomas James. Mr. Thomas has held the office of supervisor and school director several years. He is a member of the United Presbyterian church, and in politics he is a Republican.

JOHN VANSICKLE was born in Butler County, Ohio, October 23,
1822, a son of William and Rachel M. (Southard) Vansickle, natives of New Jersey, who accompanied their parent to Ohio in their youth. His paternal grandparents were John and Rachel ( Van Fleets Vansickle. The family consisted of eight children — John, Aaron, Eliza, Ellen, Jane, Lot, William and Newton. When our subject was six years of age his parents moved to Preble County, joining Butler and Montgomery, and he lived there until nineteen years of age, when he went to Middletown to learn the wagon-maker's trade. He worked with his cousins, the Vail Brothers, two years and subsequently worked in West Elkin and Winchester, Preble County, and in Dayton. In 1844 he came to Indiana with his mother and next younger brother to visit two sisters who were at Jefferson and a brother at Greencastle. He remained a few weeks and then returned to Ohio and worked at his trade at Middletown until the fall of 1846, when he determined to immigrate farther West. He had made himself a buggy and had a little mare that was hard to beat on a travel, so he packed his tools and clothes, put them in the buggy and started via Indianapolis and Greencastle. He stopped at the latter place a few days, and then proceeded to Jefferson, where he opened a shop and lived several years. He finally bought some land on section 12, Washington Township, where he has lived about thirty years. He has 135 acres of good land, and although he has had many ups and downs has been, in the main, successful. After he had been in Clinton County about a year he concluded to get a companion to share with him the vicissitudes of life, and two or three weeks later, in September, 1847, was married to Diana Kyger, daughter of Samuel and Eve (Oldfather) Kyger, natives of Virginia. Mrs. Vansickle was born in Warren County, Ohio, in June, 1829, and when she was about three years of age her parents moved to Clinton County, remaining here until a few days after her marriage, when they returned to Ohio, where the father died in 1849. The mother and her family again came, the same year, to Clinton County, where they owned a farm and a grist and saw mill, located two miles north of Jefferson. A short time after their return the latter was totally destroyed by fire. Mr. and Mrs. Vansickle have had eleven children, the two youngest of whom, Alphens C. and Eva M., are deceased. The living children are — James E., aged thirty-eight years, married Serada Baker; William H., aged thirty-six; years, married Belle Montgomery; Joseph A., aged thirty-four years, married Hannah Sullivan; Mary E., aged thirty-two years, is the wife of diaries Smith; Samuel T., aged thirty years, married Bessie Watson; Charles C., Ada L., Ida M. and Fannie E. at home, aged respectively, twenty- six, twenty-three, twenty and eighteen years. They have nine grandchildren. Mr. Vansickle was reared in the Old School Baptist faith, his parents being members of that church. He has never sought official honors, preferring the quiet of home life. He has always taken an especial interest in anything that pertains to the agricultural interests of his county and has been a director of the fair seven or eight years, and superintendent of some department the greater part of the time. While learning his trade at Middletown he attended the great Tom Corwin rally, at Dayton, Ohio, in 1842, going with a large company up the canal on a canal-boat. In politics he was originally a Whig and is now a Republican, expecting to always cast his suffrage with that party. He took the enumeration of Washington Township in 1880, and there were very few in the district that had a better report than he. He is hale and hearty, and one day in the fall of 1886 plowed sixty-four rounds across an eighty-rod field, besides doing other work
 
Source: History of Clinton County, Indiana: Chicago Published by Inter-state Pub. Co., 1886

William H. Kesterson

One of Clinton county's most substantial and highly respected farmers is William H. Kesterson, now living retired at his picturesque home in Jefferson township, after a long life of close work and excellent management on the farm, his place there being one of the choice and valuable farms of that section of the county. His residence of a score of years, here has been such as to bring to him the good will and esteem of his neighbors, for be has not only been industrious but public spirited and honorable in his dealings with his fellow men. His record in Tippecanoe county, where he lived for some time, is equally good. Prior to that he lived in Hamilton county, where he was born on January 7, 1846, but left there when a boy for Tippecanoe county, where he remained until about twenty years ago. He also lived in Iowa a few years when a boy, also in Illinois.
 
Mr. Kesterson is a son of Thomas and Susan (Norwood) Kesterson. The father was a native of Tennessee, from which state he came to Hamilton county, Indiana, when a voting man and there married. The mother of our subject was born in Hamilton county, this state. These parents spent their lives on a farm, and were honest, hard working people. Six children were born to them, four of whom are still living. Thomas Kesterson was twice married. His children were named Mary E., who is now deceased; Spicy M., George, William H., our subject; Lousina (deceased), and Delphina. William H. Kesterson grew to manhood on the borne farm and he received a good common school education, mostly in Tippecanoe county and partly in Iowa, where he lived for four years. At Lafayette, in the fall of 1864, he enlisted as a recruit in the Seventy-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company E. mounted infantry, under Captain Mahon, and although he saw considerable service he was in no very important engagements. He was with the troops in Alabama and Georgia, going as far as the city of Macon. Mr. Kesterson was married on November 12, 1858, to Lillian Douglas, who was born on October 9, 1858, in Clinton county, Indiana. She is a daughter of Morland and Jane (Craig) Douglas, both natives of Ireland, where they spent their earlier years, emigrating to America in an early day and here became well established through their industry. Mrs. Kesterson grew to womanhood in Clinton county and here received a common school education.
  
Seven children have been born to our subject and wife, namely: Thomas, born November 23, 1869: Van, born January 31, 1871, (deceased); Anna J., born June 27, 1872; Frank, born December 1, 1874, Mattie, born March 6, 1878; George S., born February 6, 1880; Herman, born March 28, 1882.
 
Mr. Kesterson began farming when a young man and made this his life work. He owned a finely improved and productive place of three hnudred (sic) and twenty-four acres, all tillable but about twenty acres, which is in timber. It is well tiled and otherwise well improved and is one of the best farms of Jackson township. He carried on general farming on a large scale, and is still engaged somewhat in stock raising, formerly specializing in shorthorn cattle, and now he makes a specialty of Red Poll cows, Jersey hogs, Shire and Clydesdale horses. He understands well the handling of all kinds of live stock and no small part of his competency has been obtained in this manner. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, is a Progressive in politics, leaning to the Republican party, however Religiously, he belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church.
Our subject's son, George S. Kesterson, enlisted for service in the Spanish-American war on September 18, 1899, at Frankfort in Company A, Thirty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, under Captain William H. Collier. He was sent to St. Louis, where the company remained until October 20th of that year, then went by rail to San Francisco, leaving that city in November on a transport to Philippine Islands, by way of Honolulu, landing in the city of Manila in December, 1899. From there the company was sent to Datangus, where it did guard duty, having a few skirmishes and remaining there until 1900. Then they were sent to Iloili remaining there until 1901 on guard duty, and having several skirmishes. These troops were then ordered to San Francisco and were mustered out on June 30, 1901, in that city. Young Kesterson's experiences abroad were of much value to him and he talks interestingly of them.
History of Clinton Co IN. Pages 558 - 560
Contributed by Christine Walters

George Washington Kesterson
a prominent young farmer of Columbia Township, Dubois Co., Ind., was born August 6, 1861; he is the only child of Albert and Martha E. (Beaty) Kesterson, who were born and married in Dubois County, where they remained until the Rebellion, when Mr. Kesterson enlisted in Company G, Forty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry; he was killed in battle, at Perryville, Ky., October 8, 1862; the mother married John W. Simmons, who is now deceased, and still resides in Columbia Township. Our subject, George W., made his home with his mother and step-father, and received a good common school education. He was married, March 9, 1881, to Miss Lucinda Nicholson, daughter of Joseph H. and Elizabeth (Coonrad) Nicholson. To them were born three children: Charles C., William F. and Ida E. Mrs. Kesterson was born November 13, 1863. They own a good farm of eighty acres, and are energetic and enterprising young people. Mr. Kesterson is a Democrat in politics.
**From the History of Pike and Dubois Co's IN
**Goodspeed Bros & Co 1885 Colubmia Twp
Contributed by Christine Walters

Stillman H. Schildt
The weary tourist through the Big Cimarron section of Montrose county, if he seek an agreeable shelter from the weather or a hospitable and comfortable place of repose, will find about five miles south of the village of Cimarron an imposing dwelling at the edge of a magnificent grove of stately cotton woods and fronted by a beautiful lawn.  This is the home of Stillman H. Schildt, a prominent man in public and social life, a leading farmer and citizen of this section and the first settler on this portion of the Big Cimarron.  He has the most attractive place in this part of the county and is known far and wide for his hospitality, his public-spirit, and his enterprise in his private business and in public improvements for the benefit of the community which he lives.  Mr. Schildt was born in 1855 at Plattsburg, New York, the son of Henry and Mary (Schriber) Schildt, the former a native of Prussia and the later of another part of Germany.  They came to the United States soon after their marriage and settled in northeastern New York, where they remained until 1859, when they moved to Wisconsin, where they mother died on December 26, 1900, at the age of eighty-one, and where the father is still living at that of eighty-three.  He was a soldier in the Prussian army, and not long after he settled in Wisconsin enlisted in the Sixth Wisconsin Infantry for defense of the Union in the Civil war.  His people in Prussia were offended at his enlistment and petitioned President Lincoln for his dismissal.  The President responded to the petition by promptly appointing him captain of Company F in his regiment.  His son Stillman was the fourth of the six children born to the household.  He moved with the rest of the family to Wisconsin when he was four years old, and in the village of Mazomanie, that state, he grew to the age of twenty.  He then started in life for himself, emigrating to Kansas, where he remained three years, then came to Colorado, and freighted from Alamosa for two years.  At the end of that time he came to what was then Gunnison county and was in the employ of Otto Meyers on the toll road for two years, after which he took up the ranch which is now his home, acquiring the land by pre-emption of the first one hundred and sixty acres and purchase of the rest of the three hundred and thirty-five he owns.  His land has had careful and skillful attention, and his stock industry has been made to thrive and prosper by the application of the best methods of conducting it and the most commodious and comfortable provision for the welfare of the stock.  His specialty is pure-bred Durham cattle, and he is steadily raising the standard of his herds to the highest point.  His dwelling is a large and handsome one, his grounds display excellent taste in their arrangement and care, his improvements on the farm generally are of a high order in character and conveniences, and the cultivation of his land is carried on in the most approved manner.  Everything on and about the place bespeaks the man of energy and culture of breadth and spirit, such as his genial manner, entertaining conversation and considerate hospitality show him to be.  In 1879 he was married to Miss Lucy A. Moore, daughter of S. R. Moore, of Kansas, who moved from Illinois to that state and passed the rest of his life farming there.  Mr. and Mrs. Schildt have five children living, Pearl, William, Lorraine, Lucy and Henriette.  A son named Robert died at the age of nineteen years and was buried in the cemetery at Cimarron, and a daughter named Mary, who was killed by accident at the age of four, has the same resting place.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Nancy Overlander)


 


 
 
 




Return To The Main Index Page