City Of Frankfort Clinton County, Indiana
The same act of the Legislature which directed the organization of Clinton County (approved January 29, 1830) provided that the county seat should be selected by a commission composed of Robert Taylor, Henry Restine, Hugh B. McKeen, John Cane and Jeremiah J.Corbaly. After due deliberation they decided to accept the proposition of John Pence, which was to donate sixty acres of land and $100 in money if they would locate the county seat on his land. Accordingly John Pence became the proprietor of the town of Frankfort, which was surveyed and laid out May 9, 1830.
In the chapter on Early History of the county has been given the orders of the Board of Commissioners for clearing the public square and surrounding four streets, and the erection of the first court-house and jail, in 1831 and 1832. Before this, however, William Douglass, County Agent, had held several public sales of lots in the new town. The first of them was on Monday, July 12, 1830, when fifty five lots were sold. The following list shows the purchasers, the numbers of the lots and the amounts paid for them.
|Jesse Guthrey||17||$15.75||J. T. Wilds||33||$68.00|
|Henry Young||18||$15.00||Moses Williamson||39||$19.00|
|Joseph McClelland.||24||$45.50||Moses Williamson||40||$39.50|
|Pleasant Field||25||$51.00||David Young||38||$10.00|
|Eli Armantrout||28||$40.00||Andrew Thompson||36||$18.12 1/2|
|Henry Young||29||$40.00||Henry Young||35||$18.50|
|Beal Dorsey||32||$66.00||Matthias Young Sr||34||$31.50|
|N.T. Catterlin||30||$23.00||Matthias Young, Sr.||60||$50.00|
|David Young||31||$19.00||Henry Young||59||$28.50|
|Perry S. Timmons||27||$17.50||William Delvin||58||$13.75|
|William Pence||26||$25.00||S. D. Maxwell||57||$10.01|
|Taylor Heavilon||23||$19.00||David Kennedy||56||$21.00|
|Wesley Harnsberger||22||$11.00||George Michael||52||$38.00|
|William Ferguson||19||$10.50||J. Timmons||55||$30.50|
|Charles Kinnear||10||$17.50||George Nichols||53||$46.50|
|Henry Young||11||$15.00||William Pense||51||$46.50|
|Thomas McClure||13||$90.50||William Douglass||5||$40.00|
|John Longfellow||14||$67.50||Arthur Compton||6||$33.00|
|Samuel Alley||15||$64.25||Henry Young||7||$16.00|
|Matthias Young, Jr||16||$85.00||John Dunkin||8||$11.75|
|Uriah Hodgen||12||$22.00||Henry Young||2||$10.06 1/4|
|S D Maxwell||41||$120.25||Arthur Compton||3||$16.25|
|Samuel Mitchell||42||$85.25||John Dunkin||4||$16.50|
|William Taylor||45||$36.00||Johnson Irwin||9||$25.00|
|William Hodgen||47||$26.00||Mordecal McKinsey||49||$12.12.1/2|
|Matthias Young, Jr.||48||$28,25||Taylor Heavilon||50||$14.00|
|Matthias Young, Sr.||46||$35.00||
|Jesse Carter||61||$24.75||Total||55||$1,772.32 1/4|
|Wesley Harnsberger||69||$10.25||Peter Fudge||78||$26.00|
|Abraham Harnsberger||70||$10.12 1/2||William Douglass||79||$30.00|
|John Harland||72||$10.50||Jacob Pence||80||$46.50|
|John Harland||73||$22.37 1/2||John Douglass||81||$40.00|
|John Harland||74||$21.25||Nicholas Pence||82||$38.00|
|Wesley Harnsberger||71||$10.12 1/2||Amos D Mills||83||$27.50|
|Abraham Aughe||75||$12.25||Abraham Aughe||84||$27.25|
|Benjamin Bedorthy||85||$15.50||Mathias Young Sr.||113||$10.62 1/2|
|Geo W Ryan||86||$12 00||John Ryan||114||$10.25|
|J.T. Wilds||88||$13.50||Mathias Young Jr.||115||$10.12 1/2|
|William Douglass||89||$11.00||John Pence||116||$22.25|
|William Pence||100||$11 25||William Pence||117||$12.25|
|William Pence||101||$24.25||William Douglass||123||$10.06 1/4|
|Joseph Douglass||102||$26.00||Abraham Aughe||132||$10.18 3/4|
|John Pence||104||$32.50||Jacob Harnsberger||133||$10.06 1/4|
|Matthias Young, Sr||105||$27.25||John Allen, Jr||134||$12.00|
|Matthias Young, Sr.||106||$24.00||Jacob Bline||135||$21.37 1/2|
|Henry Young||107||$22.50||Jacob Pence||136||$23.00|
|J T Wilds||108||$28 25||William Pence||137||$28.75|
|David Young||109||$18.25||William Douglass||138||$16.25|
|William Douglass||110||$13.25||J.T. Wilds||140||$10.12 1/2|
|Harrison Taylor||111||$13.31 1/4||
|John Douglass, Sr||112||$14.50||Total||30||$557.62 1/2|
The term of sales were: One third in cash, one third
in twelve months, and the final third in two years.
I first building erected in town of Frankfort was a log cabin built by Colonel Samuel D. Maxwell, on the lot now occupied by the Paris Block. Colonel N. T. Catterlin sold the first goods in the village. Other early merchants were John H. Dunn, John McLain and Isaac Claypool.
The first hotels were kept by Samuel E. Halliday, Samuel Mitchell and Thomas McClure. In this branch of business great improvement has been made. The Coulter House, finished in 1876, reflects much credit upon its owner and builder, J. H. Coulter, showing him to be a man of much enterprise. The building was erected at a cost of $15,000. It is complete in every department, having all the modern improvements.
The new county seat made very slow progress, and for quite a number of years Frankfort was almost at a standstill. There was little change in this respect the population increasing very slowly until the year 1870. At that time the population numbered 1,300.
As we have stated elsewhere, on the 14th day of October, 1870, the first train of cars was run into Frankfort. This marked a new era in the history of the town. Soon her railroad connections were such as to enable her to compete favorably, in a business point of view, with the leading towns and cities throughout the State. The scene suddenly changed. Business in all departments revived, her population began rapidly to increase, and in the past sixteen years has swelled from 1,300 to nearly 5,000. A person acquainted with Frankfort twenty years ago, on visiting the thriving city of 1886, would scarcely recognize, in the staid old town of that date, the air of a city which she now justly assumes. The various branches of trade and the professions have been well represented, and have always shown a lively, enterprising spirit.
It is an old saying that the country makes the town. If this be true, then Frankfort has before her a brilliant future, and is destined to be a town of much importance, as it is in the center of one of the best agricultural regions in the State.
The spirit of public enterprise, which characterizes her citizens, is highly commendable. We are not indulging in idle remarks, bat uttering a truth, when we say that in no city of the same size and age in Indiana can a better class of business houses and dwellings be found.
Owing to the fact that wood, coal and such material is easily reached from this point, manufactories thrive splendidly. From present indications we indulge in the assertion that at no distant day Frankfort will be a manufacturing city of no little importance.
The town was incorporated at an early day, but the charter was allowed to die out for a number of years. In 1875 it was incorporated as a city, and at the first city election, held December 21, 1875, the following officers were elected, viz.: Mayor, P. W. Gard; Clerk, William M. Comley; Treasurer, James A. Seawright; Marshal, I. C. Hurst; Assessor, William P. Ashley; Councilmen, Robert P. Shanklin, T. J. Holdridge, John Thacher, B. F. Cohee, George A. Smith and R. G. Penetiel.
The city officers elected May 2,1876, were: S. O. Bayless, Mayor; William Hines, Clerk; J. A. Seawright, Treasurer; E. D. Neves, Marshal; El wood Avery, M. J. Swan, D. W. C. Bryant and J. A. Petty were elected to the council; J. R. Brown, City Civil Engineer. The officers for 1877 were the same with one new councilman elected, G. D. Halliday. No change was made in 1878. In 1879 the following men were elected to the city offices: S. O. Bayless, Mayor; M. R. Hines, Clerk; P. J. Kern, Treasurer; T. J. Hoover, Marshal; J. D. Fritz, M. J. Swan, J. Thatcher, J. A. Petty, P. W. Gard, G. D. Halliday, J. A. Seawright and D. A. Coulter, Councilmen; G. D. Halliday, Street Commissioner. The only changes in 1880 were J. H. Gaddis was elected Clerk; G. W. Bird, Marshal; J. W. Lee, Sanford Brown, D. T. Anghe, Conncilmen. There were no changes in 1881. In 1882 Cyrus Clark became Mayor; Charles E. Morris, Clerk; J. M. Gentry, Treasurer; O. E. Brumbaugh, Attorney; D. W. Osborne, T. C. Dolby, J. Cook and J. T. Harper became Councilmen. In 1883 H. C. Eldridge and Q. A. Kennedy were elected to the council. In 1881 O. E. Brumbaugh was elected Mayor; H. C. Sheridan, Clerk; A. Thatcher, Marshal; D. P. Blake and E. M. Duffy to the council. The changes of 1885 were W. D. Epperson elected to the council, and J. T. Hockman, Attorney.
The officers elect for the present year (1886) are: J. Q. Bayless, Mayor; J. M. Brafford, Clerk; A. H. Coble, Treasurer; B. H. Higginbotham, Attorney; J. E. Southard, Street Commissioner; Joseph Dunlap and J. S. Van Arsdel elected to the council; A. A. Thompson, Assessor.
Frankfort is pleasantly laid out, and much good taste is shown by its citizens in the erection of their residences by the selection of modern and beautiful architectural designs. We here give the name of the streets which have, with hardly an exception, been beautifully adorned by the planting of a row of shade trees on either side, and which have been graded and graveled in an excellent Those running east and west, south of the square, are Clinton, Walnut, Wabash, South, Boone and Armstrong; running south from Clinton are Webster, Clay, Harrison, Prairie, Jackson, South Main, Columbia, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Doyal; those running east and west, north of the square, are Washington, Morrison, Jefferson, Monroe, Earner, Paris, Green, Palmer and Kyger; running north from Clinton are Clay, Harrison, Prairie, Jackson, North Main, Columbia, Gentry, John, Bunnell, Doyal and Brown.
BY PROF. RICHARD O. BOONE
The educational interests of Frankfort, no less than
her industries and her trade, present evidence of rapid but substantial
Prior to 1865 the public schools of the town were such as might then have been found in scores of similarly situated villages throughout Indiana. The accommodations were very meager, but, considering the limited population, fully up to the wants of the time and place. A one-story brick building, still standing on the corner of Columbia and Ohio streets, and now used for a dwelling, furnished what was then thought to be the needed public show of free education. Schools were in session about four months of each year. Few teachers were continued longer than one term, but the " village teacher " was the best to be had in the county.
The school built better than it knew. As the town grew in population, school interests gained in influence. Young men and women from the rural districts began to look forward to a term in the village. Soon the accommodations were found inadequate to the needs of the increasing number of pupils.
In 1865 the population was about 850. The place had no railroad connections with neighboring towns, however, and so moved slowly in matters of public enterprise. But with the growing prospect, educational interests were taking more definite shape, receiving more general support, and so re-acting favorably upon society and trade.
Mr. Enos Hoover, the efficient township trustee of the time, recognizing the urgent demands of the school population, prepared to erect a building that should afford ample room. For the existing need, it was a stately structure. It was two stories, of brick, in fine location, and in four large rooms afforded abundant accommodations for the school population. The cost of the building was about $5,000. Mr. Hoover deserves honorable mention as a pioneer trustee who was too honest in his trust, too faithful to the future interests of his public charge, not to see the great reward of his educational service in a prosperous school system of the future, worthily built, and patronized by a people proud of its growth and its results.
In the autumn of 1865 Mr. E. H. Staley took charge of the schools in the new house, effected a partial grading and did a great work for the now growing town. Not the least valuable of the influences exerted by the schools under this administration was the strong and wholesome sympathy in educational progress diffused throughout the county. Boys and girls from the rural districts of Clinton County, and even from the adjoining counties, were induced to attend, and the higher departments in the "town school " were known to all the people as the " academy." It sent out teachers, prepared young men for college, cultivated habits of good reading, and made Frankfort, in short, a kind of suburban center of more than average school culture.
All this was done, however, at much disadvantage. Frankfort stood alone. Industrially and socially she was isolated. The town had grown both in population and business enterprise, but not till 1870 was it given that one essential means to modern commercial fellowship with one's neighbor the railroad. It was now connected with Logansport and near points on the north, and with Crawfordsville, Indianapolis and the central parts of the State, south. With these bonds of union with adjoining towns and cities, came an effort to do better for herself educationally. Knowledge of others' attainments is the source of much wholesome discontent. Not only were more children available, as shown by the census, but an increased per cent, of the school population coveted these school facilities. The school was popular. The once commodious brick " seminary," the pride of town and county, became too small. Something must be done to meet the demand.
The eight years from 1865 to 1873 had compassed a period of noticeable improvement. The city had doubled in population. The school census was correspondingly increased. The schools were running at a disadvantage. They were imperfectly classified, and so lacked uniformity in their discipline and instruction. The public funds were limited, and school was "free" for but six months annually, being extended, however, three months, occasionally, with private tuition. But from a want of a well-defined course of study the several departments were more or less disconnected, and the good results of the school were individual rather than general.
In 1873 a new School Board was appointed, consisting of Samuel Ayers, for one year; D. P. Earner, for two years; Jas. H. Paris, for three years. Preparations were commenced at once for the erection of a new school building. The interests, both business and educational, of the now rapidly growing city demanded more and better school accommodations.
Neighboring cities were visited by members of the board and by citizens; school buildings were inspected; architects were consulted; plans were drawn up and discussed; and no email care was taken, by the secretary especially (to whom was left in great measure the preparation for the coining work, and to whom much credit is due), to make and submit a structure that should serve the city fittingly.
The site chosen was the square south of Wabash and west of Third streets, occupied by the building erected in 1865. The grounds were admirably situated and handsomely arranged. The house was a stone-faced brick structure, three stories high, and erected at a cost of $30,000. Mr. Eppinghauser, of Terre Haute, was the architect and showed himself a master workman. The building contains ten school-rooms, with seating for 600 pupils, and an assembly-room with a capacity of 450 . It is furnished throughout with single seats and the usual modern conveniences.
The readiness with which the citizens responded to the judgment of the trustees and acquiesced in the large outlay of funds for school purposes suggests their appreciation of educational privileges.
The establishment of a school is a turning point in a community's life. It marks an epoch of unusual growth. It forecasts progress. It is the exponent of a helpful unrest. In a sense every school is a college; it takes the first and most important step in higher culture. "The People's Colleges" is no mere name. It is a vigorous social force. It is one of the moneyed institutions of American society. Frankfort had a profound respect for its influence in a community, and an unshaken confidence in its future. The new school was to be for the public, altogether free, and made equal to the best. Here was an enterprise in which all were concerned.
In the winter of 1873- 4, during the erection of the new house, 110 public schools were maintained. The instruction of Frankfort children for the year was given in schools supported and managed by private enterprise. The public funds were allowed to accumulate preparatory to the formal opening of the new school the following year. No considerable number of children, however, were collected. The term was short. The work of different teachers was without uniformity; there was no central control and the school facilities were merely better than none.
The building having been completed during the summer of 1874, the school was thrown open to pupils and formally organized the 21st of the following September. Mr. J. E. Morton was the first superintendent. He was assisted by eight room teachers, as follows: Freeman Cooper, Mrs. F. R. Morton, Miss Mary Magee (now Brumbaugh), Miss Nannie I. Alley, Miss Alice Marsh, Miss Mattie Shortle, Miss Belle M. Montgomery (now Van Sickle) and Miss Linnie Slayback.
With admirable forethought on the part of the superintendent, the work of classification had been done before the opening day. The course of study was arranged to cover eight years in the grades and three years in the high school. Free tuition was afforded for nine months in the year. The beginning was fair and showed wise foresight. As might have been expected, however, the bringing together and working in harmony of 400 students, under an entirely new administration and new system, was not effected at once, nor easily. Nine months accomplished much. For the first year 345 pupils were in average daily attendance; 475 pupils were enrolled. The school met with occasional opposition, but not such as to subject it to any considerable hindrance.
In June, 1875, Mr. D. P. Earner, whose term of office expired, was succeeded by Mr. S. H. Doyal. Mr. Earner had lent the school much personal as well as official aid, and transmitted to his successor a record of integrity and devotion to his public charge. Samuel Ayers had been reappointed the previous year.
The accession of Mr. Doyal to trusteeship marked the beginning of a prosperity for the Frankfort schools worthy of permanent note, and to which reference will again be made.
Prof. Morton was re-elected to the superintendence in 1875. In September of this year the " Frankfort High School " was organized, under the direction of Prof. C. S. Ludlam. This gentleman was a graduate of the "Wesleyan University, at Bloomington, Illinois, came highly recommended, and, under trying disadvantages, entered upon a period of labor, whose success in no wise lessened the estimation in which the people received him. Prof. Ludlam was a man of varied scholarship, of wide reading, of sterling integrity of character, and easily adaptable to any community. His four years of service in the high school marked him as an indefatigable worker, a careful student and kind friend to the young; his social relations were the most pleasant and will long be remembered by the writer as among the happiest and most profitable friendships of life. After a lengthened illness, Prof. Ludlam died in Omaha, Nebraska, February 19, 1882, aged thirty- two years.
The high school has done, and is destined to do, a valuable service in the Frankfort educational system. At the close of the second school year June 1876 six young ladies were graduated, the first fruits of the new organization.
From the published report for the school year, 1875-'6, it appears that 555 pupils were enrolled in the several departments, with an average daily attendance of 397.
For the school year beginning September, 1876, Superintendent J. E. Morton was succeeded by Mr. R. G. Boone, Prof. C. S. Ludlam being continued in the high school. Under the new administration the high-school course was extended to four years and the work of the grades revised. Text-books, except readers, were not put in the hands of the children before the fourth school year, and oral instruction made to take their place. A course of lectures by home and foreign speakers was planned for the year, and with the funds thus obtained, together with voluntary donations of books and money from interested citizens, and substantial assistance from the Board of Trustees, steps were taken to supply the school with a reference library. The first books were put in January, 1877. To these were added others by donation and by purchase until, at the opening of the fourth school year, September, 1877, pupils had access to 300 volumes.
At present writing (July, 1886) the library numbers about 1,000 volumes; consists chiefly of books of reference (the school has nine sets of encyclopedias), and has proved an addition of incalculable worth to school appliances.
The books are made available to students at all hours (of school),and in all work. Students soon become adepts in handling books, while the reference cultivates choice of expression in writing or speaking, guides the reasoning, appeals to the judgment, and, while it brightens the memory, destroys the tendency to rely upon it. This last is true in that if one have his information upon, a topic from a half-dozen of authors, he will not easily recite from the text of anyone. For this reason it seems that no kind or amount of investment has done so much to make thorough, original, diligent students as the money invested in cyclopedias, histories, atlases, compilations, and other books of reference and authority for the schools. During the same year (1877) was begun the collection of apparatus for the illustration of work in physical science.
In this connection reference may be made, appropriately, to the services of Mr. S. H. Doyal. To him largely belongs the credit of initiating and maintaining these supplementary means of general school culture. A citizen of generous social impulses, judiciously enterprising, possessed of a good private library, he readily saw the rich benefit of a school reference library. He made the organization of this library, the choice of books, and the raising 'of money a matterof personal concern. Through his influence, by a visit to Washington, D. 0. (largely for this purpose), the school was (is) supplied with the Government (official) History of the Rebellion which, when completed, will consist of about 100 volumes and will possess incalculable value; and with the Smithsonian Reports, than which nothing more valuable of the kind is published.
Mr. Doyal was a member of the board for six years (three terms) and is one of the few trustees whose visits to his charge were always profitable and always welcomed by pupils and teachers.
The high school is one of the commissioned high schools of the State. It has graduated sixty-eight pupils in ten classes, and has had five principals: Prof. C. S. Ludlam, 1875-9; Prof. J. F. Millspaugh, 1879-81; Prof. A. W. Huycke, 1881-3; Prof. J. F. Warfel, 1883-4; Prof. C. E. Newlin, 1884-6.
Already, because of over-crowding in primary departments, pupils of first year are admitted but half of each day. The " half- day system " has occasionally, also, been extended to second-year pupils. It has been found beneficial in many respects. It effects a considerable saving in expense, accommodates twice the number of pupils, imposes shorter confinement upon the young, and secures a nearly equal efficiency and extent of work to that from full attendance.
In the ten years, 1876-86, the schools have grown from an enrollment of 550 to 1,049, from an employment of seven teachers to twenty, and from the use of one school building to that of four.
The First Ward was originally set off in the summer of 1882 and included that part of the city then lying north of Ohio street the line of the L. E. & W. R. R. The house erected on the corner of Gentry and streets was a two-story brick structure, finished in stone and completed January 1, 1883. it consisted of four study-rooms, two teachers' rooms, and a large basement fitted up for play-room. The first principal was Miss Ella Dukes. She was succeeded, September, 1883, by Mr. W. P. Alexander. But six months of school had passed under his principalship when, on Monday morning, the 25th of February, about one o'clock, the building was found completely wrapped in flames.
Nothing could be done; everything was lost. No explanation was or has been given of the fire. By combining some grades and setting off the large school hall in main building into smaller rooms, provision was made for the several grades elsewhere, and the school work was completed as usual.
Steps were at once taken by the trustees to rebuild. The plan was changed. Every effort was made to meet hygienic requirements. Like the other, this building was two stories, of brick, with high, dry, basement, and consisted of four study-rooms. Unlike and superior to the other, it was constructed upon the best approved plans of ventilation, was heated by furnace (Ruttan system) from basement, and provided that light in the schools should come only from the rear. To meet this last condition, the rooms were placed diagonally with the points of the compass. Pupils being seated diagonally in the room faced the west throughout the building, receiving the light over their shoulders. It is believed there are no rooms better lighted. Mr. Alexander remained in charge of this ward during the school year 1884-5, and was succeeded by Mr. J.W. Hamilton, who was re-elected for the year following.
The Second Ward, for school purposes, has just been, organized. It includes all that part of the city lying east of the Creek (Prairie Branch). The building, erected in 1886, is on the same general plan as that of Ward I, has eight rooms, and is one of the handsomest school-houses of the size in the State. When completed it will seat 400 pupils.
Frankfort has now school seating for about 1,300 pupils, in four comfortable buildings, representing, together with their lots and furnishing, a valuation of about $50,000. The general policy of the board has been progressive. Much care has been exercised ia the selection of teachers, graduates of the Frankfort High School and of the Indiana State Normal School being given the preference. Annual reports have been published by order of the board since 1875, with full statistics and announcements, from which may be gathered a complete history of the schools.
NAMES OF TRUSTEES
D. P. Barner, 1873-5; J. H. Paris, 1873-6; Samuel Ayers, 1873-86; S.H. Doyal, 1875-81; H. Y. Morrison, 1876-9; J. G. Clark, 1881-6; R. C. Clark, 1879-82;O. E. Brumbaugh, 1882-4; Oliver Gard, 1884-6.
The heartiest sympathy exists between the city and county schools, officers and interests; and with the continued support of the public, and with usually prosperous times, the Frankfort schools will be a means of much usefulness to the city.
The press and the school are two great civilizers of the age, and no community can afford to live without the highest possible development of their benign influences.
Methodist Episcopal Church. The first regular Methodist preaching in Frankfort was by Rev. Miles Ruffaker, then in charge of what was known as the Huntersville Circuit, about 1831. On this circuit Stephen R. Ball and Boyd Phelps were the ministers in 1832-3, and James Armstrong was the presiding elder of the Lafayette District. In the winter of 1832-'3 a movement was made to build a church, and in August, 1834, lot No. 77 (the present location) was conveyed to the trustees for a building site. During this and the following year a frame church 30 x 40 was built at a cost of about $400. In 1836 Frankfort became the head of a circuit with twenty to thirty appointments.
In June, 1851, a contract was let for building a new brick church costing about $1,800. The building was finished during the next year, and was formally dedicated February 20, 1853, Kev. J. M. Stallard and Rev. Luther Taylor officiating. In 1871 thig house was refitted and an addition made thereto, at a cost of $3,600.
During the spring of 1883, while under the pastorate of Rev. W. H. Hickman, the enterprise of erecting the present building was projected, and at once entered upon. This church was dedicated March 30, 1884. The new building is in the decorated Gothic style of architecture, constructed of brick, with stone foundations and trimmings; its dimensions are 72x96 feet. The cost of the building completed and furnished, including all incidental expenses, was about $18,000. The Sabbath- school bore the entire expense of the windows and, assisted in other items of furnishing, amounting in all to about $800. The Ladies' Furnishing Society raised and expended for carpets, chandeliers, altar and pulpit about $1,100.
The first Sabbath-school was organized February 7, 1841, by Ancil Beech, and at the first session there were present about sixty in all. The first superintendent was Joseph Johnson. There has always been much interest shown in this organization and it now ranks foremost in the State under the superintendency of Dr. Oliver Gard.
In 1848 the bell was purchased and placed in position, and on the 7th of May, for the first time its clear, ringing tones denoted the hour of divine worship. Previous to this the Sunday-school had been called together by the blowing of a tin horn. The church at the present time is in a very flourishing condition and is made up of live and active Christians who are ever awake to the duties imposed upon them.
We give here a list of all its pastors from its organization down to the present time. They are as follows: James L. Beloat, Thomas J. Brown, Joseph White, Ancil Beech, William Wilson, Jacob Colclazer, Samuel Reed, Draper Chipman, B. Blowers, Enoch Wood, James Johnson, Allen Skilltnan, Brinton Webster, J. W. Parret, Luther Taylor, J. 0. Reed, Francis Cox, P. I. Bis wick, Jesse Hill, Thomas Bartlett, G. W. Stafford, G. W. Warner, Richard Hargrave, J. L. Thompson, W. S. Harker, C. B. Mack, J. B. De Mott, E. H. Staley, Wilson Beckner, W. M. Darwood, T. C. Stringer, J. A. Clearwaters, N. L. Brakeman, William Graham, W. H. Hickman, J. N. Beard, and the present pastor, Rev. J. H. Hollingsworth.
Presbyterian Church. The church was organized in July, 1831, at the residence of Mr. John Douglass, father of Jackson Douglass, by Rev. James A. Carnahan, now of Dayton, Indiana, and Rev. John Thompson, one of the professors at Crawfordsville. As far as can be learned in the absence of the first records, which are lost, there were sixteen members received into the organization, viz.: John Douglass, Susannah Douglass, Colonel "William Douglass, Samuel Mitchel, Hope Mitchel, Joseph McClelland, Isabel McClelland, Samuel McQuern, Mrs. McQuern, David Barnes, Mrs. Barnes, Rachel Byres, John Gray, Sarah Gray, Samuel Douglass and Annie Douglass.
The little church was served a short season by Rev. James A. Carnahan, and the succession of pastors has been as follows, differing in length of service, the average being about four years: L. G. Bell, Samuel Taylor, Robert W. Allen, W. M. Stryker, John Van Dyke, C. A. Munn, E. Barr, W. P. Kontz, J. W. Torrence, R. C. Colmery, and E. Barr a second time, Rev. Moore and Rev. Dr. Simpson.
In 1833 or '34 the congregation built their first house of worship on the lot now occupied by them, at a cost of about $300. This was enlarged to about double its capacity in 1838, at a cost of about $1,000, including the finishing up of the older part, which had not before been either ceiled or plastered.
In 1859 was dedicated a brick edifice, which had now succeeded the old frame, at a cost of about $4,000. This has given place to the beautiful new house, built in 1876, at a cost of $19,000.
The growth of the congregation is marked by these repeated buildings, and their respective costs. The church has before it a very hopeful future of usefulness, numbering at this date about 300 members.
In the spring of 1832 was organized a Sabbath-school, which is believed to have been the first in the county. This beginning in the county with the church was transferred to the town, and has never been intermitted.
The average attendance for the past year has been about 200, with J. M. Cast for its superintendent. The church is without a pastor at the present writing. The church officers are J. M. Cast, Thomas Lee, G. L. Kempf, A. Given, R. P. Shanklin, R. M. Sims, and J. A. Seawright, Elders ; Samuel Ayers, J. H. Coulter, W. H. Hart, Cyrus Clark and E. W. Paul, Deacons; J. A. Seawright, Clerk; Samuel Ayers, Treasurer.
The Christian Church of Frankfort was organized by Rev. Lewis Comer, at the house of John Horland, south of town, in the year 1830. The congregation held religious services at different places, frequently meeting at the court-house, until 1843, when a church building was erected at Frankfort. Notwithstanding the church has labored under adverse circumstances, they have held their organization in tact ever since. At the .time the church was built here, the membership numbered about fifty, but soon swelled to 800. It is now about 175.
In 1872 the congregation erected a very neat frame building, fronting on Jackson street. The church is now in a growing and healthy condition, with one of the best Sunday-schools in the county of about 120 scholars, of which Frank McCowan is superintendent. The officers of the church are as follows: Q. A. Kennedy and U. 0. McKinsey, Elders; El wood Avery, John Lucas and William Kelly, Deacons; Dr. M. S. Canfield, Treasurer and Clerk.
Clinton Lodge, No. 54, F. & A. M. The Masonic fraternity of Frankfort formed their first lodge by a dispensation from the Grand Lodge of the State of Indiana, dated December 23, 1843, issued to Jacob D. Vandyke, as Worshipful Master; Wm. Winship, Senior Warden, and James G. Choat, Junior Warden, with their associates. A chapter was issued to the brethren on the 31st day of May, 1844, for the new lodge, to be called "Clinton Lodge, No. 54," with Jacob D. Vandyke as Worshipful Master; Lucien J. Griggs, Senior Warden, and James G. Choat, Junior Warden.
The first officers elected by the new lodge were: Lucien D. Griggs, Worshipful Master; Thomas W. Florer, Senior Warden; N. T. Catterlin, Junior Warden; Cyrus B. Pence, Secretary; Daniel Parker, Treasurer; Joseph W. Johnson, Senior Deacon; John A. Hoggart, Junior Deacon, and Robert M. Watt, Tyler.
For a long time the lodge held its meetings in what was known as the " Garber Block," on the north side of the public square. In the summer of 1873, the lodge built and handsomely furnished a large and well-arranged hall, at a cost of over $4,000. The new hall was publicly dedicated by Grand Master Lucien A. Foote, on the 24th day of June, 1874.
The present membership numbers 154, and the officers for 1886 are: P. W. Gard, Worshipful Master; W. F. Palmer, Senior Warden; J. G. Snyder, Junior Warden; Euos Hoover, Treasurer; H. D. Dunnington, Secretary; J. W. Morrison, Senior Deacon; W. G. Park, Tyler.
Clinton Chapter, No. 82, R. A. M., was organized October 19, 1871, and has since had quite a rapid growth, its membership numbering at the present time about ninety-five. It is in a very flourishing condition and its present officers are: W. B. Kramer, High Priest; Moses De Camp, King; Oliver Gard, Scribe; J. W.Morrison, C. of H.; W. F. Palmer, Permanent Secretary; J. G. Snyder, R. A. C.; F. M. Nixon, G. M. First Veil; L. H. Daniels, G. M. Second Veil; J. W. Collins, G. M. Third Veil; H. H. Bradley, Treasurer; E. Hoover, Secretary; W. G. Park, Guard.
Frankfort Council, No. 46, R. & S. M., was instituted October 18, 1876, and is now in a good condition, with about forty members. The officers for 1886 are: J. W. Morrison, I. M.; Dr. Oliver Gard, D. I. M ; S. B. Fisher, P. of W.; J. G. Snyder, C. of G.; H. H. Bradley, Treasurer; Enos Hoover, Rec.; W. P. Ashley, S. and S.
Frankfort Commandery, No. 29, K. T. Upon petition of J. C. Suit, M. M. Kyger, G. W. Aughe, James T. Hockman, Jesse W. Aughe, R. H. Clark, Jos. B. Cheadle and others, a dispensation for the organization of a commandery of Knights Templar was granted December 7, 1880, by Grand Commander Henry G. Thayer, to be known as Frankfort Commandery, and on the same evening its organization was effected. A charter was granted April 27, 1881, and the following named were the first officers elected: J. C. Suit, E. 0.; M. M. Kyger, G.; Jesse W. Aughe, C. G.; J. S. McMurray, P.; James T. Hockman, S. W. ; N. J. Gaskill, J. W.; De Witt C. Bryant, Treasurer; J. W. Morrison, Recorder; Moses De Camp, Standard Bearer; Samuel O. Bayless, Sword Bearer; Robert Sims, Sentinel. January 1, 1885, the membership numbered sixty-eight. Two knights have been created in 1886, and Rev. F. M. Leeson was admitted to membership June 22, 1886, and died July 9, being the only member lost to the commandery since its organization. It is composed of live and active members, and its present officers are; N. J. Gaskill, E. C. ; P. W. Gard, G. ; W. B. Kramer, C. G.; Oliver Gard, P.; S. B. Fisher, S. W.; H. H. Bradley, J. W.; De Witt C. Bryant, Treasurer; J. W. Morrison, Recorder; Moses De Camp, W. ; D. M. Banes, Standard Bearer; F. M. Nixon, Sword Bearer; George Snyder, First Guard; James A. Hedgcock, Second Guard; W. P. Ashley, Sentinel.
Frankfort Lodge, No. 108, I. 0. O. F., was instituted February 19, 1852, by D. D. G. M. W. K. Rochester. The charter members were Jacob S. Douglass, John W. Blake, J. A. Nunn, J. N. Irwin, S. P. Miller and J. N. Rodman. Of the charter members only two were residents of Frankfort, viz., J. S. Douglass and John W. Blake, the others having deposited cards for the purpose of instituting the lodge, after which they withdrew and returned to the lodges to which they belonged. On the evening of instituting the lodge, the following were initiated: Jackson Douglass, I. D. Armstrong, John H. Dunn, James Gastor, John B. Douglass, W. P. Dunn and Norman Newton, and received all the degrees. The first elective officers were: Jacob S. Douglass, Noble Grand; J. W. Blake, Vice-Grand; Jackson Douglass, Secretary; I. D. Armstrong, Treasurer. In January,1857, the lodge room with all the records and fixtures was burned, and in this way early statistics were lost, and can never be regained. In the following summer the hall was rebuilt and occupied by them until 1873, when it was considered too small to accommodate the lodge any longer. The trustees sold it and bnilt a new one, which is admirably adapted to the work. The new hall is 48 x 56 feet, and contains two spacious ante-rooms. John Earner donated the privilege of building the hall on the second story of his spacious block, and the right of entrance. He also put the iron roof on which is to be kept in repair at the joint expense of both parties. The present membership numbers about eighty-nine, and its officers are: J. W. Page, Noble Grand; A. A. Thompson, Vice- Grand; James Gastor, Recording Secretary; E. Hoover, Permanent Secretary; Daniel Delong, Treasurer.
Willis Wright Encampment, No. 36, I. O. 0. F., was organized in November, 1853, by P. G. M. James H. Stewart. The charter members and first officers were: J. W. Blake, 0. P.; Jackson Douglass, H. P.; J. McFarland, Scribe; W. P. Dunn, J. Gastor, J. S. Douglass and J. W. Dodd.
Dakota Tribe, No. 4, I. 0. H. M. The organization of this tribe was effected October 24, 1874, .with the following charter members: T. H. Palmer, M. 0. Smith, J. C. Suit, T. J. Hoover, J. I. Miller, J. W. Aughe, J. W. Pence, G. D. Halliday, J. W. Gorman, J. W. Lee, S. O. Bay ess, S. A. Hoover, A. J. Palmer, J. E. Knntz, 0. M. Petty, D. B. Allen, J. B. Green, S. S. Burgess, G. A. Smith, L. H. Daniels, J. A. Petty and Philip Kempf. It has had a steady growth and now numbers in membership 160.Its financial condition is very good, owning its own hall and a fine collection of natural curiosities. The principles of this organization are of a benevolent and social character. The officers for 1886 are: W. H. Boyland, Prophet; J. A. Hedgcock, Sachem; Charles Comley, Senior Sag.; T. Cornelison, Junior Sag.; Charles Leisure, C. of R. ; J. W. Lee, K. of W.
Stone River Post, No. 65, G. A. H. This post was organized May 9, 1882, with thirty-eight charter members. Its first officers were: John G. Clack, Commander; William Hart, Senior Vice- Commander; Gyms Clark, Junior Vice-Commander; Joseph Suit, Adjutant; John Cook, Quartermaster; W. H. Hickman, Chaplain; Smith Forsythe, Officer of the Guard; James Southard, Officer of the Day; G. W. Brown, Surgeon. The first and only death occurred May 12, 1886. The post is in a good condition financially and socially. The present membership numbers about 100, and its officers for 1886 are: Dr. Oliver Gard, Commander; Hugh Dunnington, Senior Vice-Commander; Edmond Leach, Junior Vice-Commander; J. W. Aughe, Surgeon; W. H. Boyland, Adjutant; Pleasant Lough, Chaplain; J. W. Lee, Quartermaster; U. M. Palmer, Officer of the Day; J. W. Turneyr Officer of the Guard; Joseph Steele, Sergeant-Major; Jacob Forsythe, Quartermaster Sergeant; "William Hawkins, Inside Sentinel.
Shield Lodge, No. 71, K. P. In 1875 Frank Bowers, P. C. of No. 33, was temporarily a resident of Frankfort, and while here secured a few names to a petition for a lodge. Before a sufficient number could be obtained he left the city. The petition was left with S. S. Burgess, who succeeded in obtaining the names of J. B. Pugh, J. C. Suit, D. E. Comstock, J. C. Campbell, A. W. Southard, G. D.Halliday, J. M. Coulter, T. C. Paris, B. P. Blake, T. H. Palmer, T. J. Smith and W. W. Wallace. With these with charter members, Shield Lodge was organized by W.F. Taylor, G. K. of R. S., assisted by members of Lafayette Lodge, No. 5, and J. B. Powell, of No. 56. The officers installed were: J. C. Suit, P. C.; J. B.Pugh, C.C.; S. S. Burgess, V. C.; D. E. Comstock, P.; J. C. Campbell, K. of R. & S.; A. W. Southard, M. of F.; E. P. Blake, M. of E.; W. W. Wallace, M. at A.; J. M. Cook, I. G.; T. G. Smith, O. G. The first death in the lodge was that of the first V. C., S. S. Burgess, who met with a violent death in a railroad accident near his home. The lodge is financially in a good condition, and numerically it takes rank among the strongest in this section, having at the present time ninety-four members.The present officers are: W. A. Morris, C. 0.; P. C. Hill, Y. 0. ; N. W. Mattix, P.; F. F. Faust, K. of E. & S.; G. A. Bentley, M. of F.; W. H. Jones, M. of E.; J. H. Bryant, M. at A.; G. P. Becker, I. G. ; S. Rogers, O. G.; H. C. Sheridan, P. 0. C.; "W. L. Kempf, D. G. C.
Frankfort Division No. 19, U.R. K. of P., was organized in 1884, and has at the present time thirty-five members who are active in the interests of this order. The present officers are: W. G. Morris, S. K. C.; J. H. Bryant, S. K. L.; W. A. Morris, S. K. H.; L. F. Lancaster, S. K. G.; F. F. Faust, S. K. S; W. L. Kempf, S. K. R. ; E. R. Floyd, S. K. T.
Fidelity Lodge, No. 60. K. of H., was organized February 1, 1875, by James McLain, G. D., with the following charter members: J. R. Brown, W. G. Morris, D. E. Comstock, J. M. Catterlin, J. E. Oowan, William Langutaff, Z. Thompson, T. "W". Smith, M. H. C. Proctor and H. 0. Armantrout. The lodge at the present meeting (1886) has thirty members, and is in a flourishing condition. The officers are: W. T. Wright, P. D. ; W. H. Eagle, D.; Z. Lacy, V. D.; J. Q. Howard, A. D.; S. A. Cook, Chap.; W. M. Spencer, G.; G. W. Eaton, R.; J. M. Catterlin, F. R.; M. De Camp, Treas.; J. W. Morrison, Gaurd.; S. S. Catterlin, Sent; W. H. Eagle, J. M. Catterlin and G. W. Eaton, Trustees.
Good Shepherd Lodge, No. 22, I. O. G. T., was organized December 16, 1876, with sixty charter members. The following were the first officers: I. Poison, Worthy Chief Templar; M. L. Elston, Worthy Vice-Templar; W. R. Sims. Recording Secretary; Mollie Hoover, Assistant Secretary; J. S. Van Arsdel. Financial Secretary; George Lee, Treasurer; C. M. Leisure, Marshal; Emma Lee, Deputy Marshal; M. J. Campbell, Outside Guard; William Colby, Chaplain; Bertie Shafer, Right-hand Supporter; Nancy Lee, Left-hand Supporter; Joseph Dunlap, Past Worthy Chief Templar. The membership of the lodge now numbers thirty-four, and the present officers are as follows: I. Poison, Worthy Chief Templar; Mrs. L. A. Miner, Worthy Vice- Templar; Mrs. N. M. Piatt, Recording Secretary; E. Carue, Assistant Secretary; Peter Fetter, Financial Secretary; Bertha Entrikan, Treasurer; Willie Clark, Worthy Marshal; Harriet L. Fetter, Worthy Deputy Marshal; Mamie Entrikan, Inside Guard; William Peatt, Outside Guard; S. A. Entrikan, Right-hand Supporter; Ida Carue, Left-hand Supporter; Adam Gaddis, Past Worthy Chief Templar.
May 1, 1868, D. P. Barner, with his father, John Barner, engaged in the banking business under the firm name of D. P. Earner & Co., and the following January consolidated with the firm of Coulter, Given & Co., forming what was" known as the
The First National Bank was organized July 22, 1872, with a cash capital of $200,000, and they bought all the interests of the International Bank. The first president was W. R. Coulter, the second was A. Given, and the third and present incumbent of that office is J. H. Paris. At its organization D. P. Burner was appointed cashier, which position he has held ever since, performing the duties with much credit to himself and to the satisfaction of the Board of Directors, who, at present, are as follows: R. J. Coulter, A. Given, A. B. Given, N. J. Gaskill, D. P. Barner, J. W. Coulter, D. F. Allen, Dr. T. B. Cox and J. H. Paris.
Farmers' Bank. This institution was organized in 1876, with Samuel Ayres as its president, and Jackson Douglas as cashier. It has a cash capital of $100,000, and receives a liberal patronage from the surrounding country. The officers at the present time (1886) are as follows: Robert McOlamroch, President; D. A. Coulter, Cashier; W. H. Hart, Assistant Cashier; R. McClamroch, R. P. Shanklin, Moses Do Camp, John Anderson, S. M. Davis, Elwood Avery and D. A. Coulter, Directors.
The following is a summary of the present business men of Frankfort: Agricultural implements and hardware, D. Bradley, Coulter & Dinwiddie, William Gangwer, Paris & Sharp and
Sellers & Derrick; boots and shoes, Joseph Dunlap, G. W. Eaton, J. W. Guthridge, I. Israel, G. R. Lee & Son, Miner & Son, A. P. Potts and J. E. Underwood; blacksmiths, Baker Bros., Colby & Son, Derrick, Elbridge & Hess, Hendricks & Cohee, F. M. Moody; barbers, J. Otto Gibbs, Hackley & Elridge and S. B. Williams; Business College, F. C. Minor; 'bus line, J. W. Watson; carpenters, Charles Leisure and Charles Seip; carriage manufactory, P. J. Kern, J. T. Limback and G. Rice; cigars and tobacco, M. W. Fox and F. L. Petley; cigar manufacturers, Hartman, Lockwood & Dunn, George W. Manville; clothing, Coulter,Hockman & Co., James Coulter, S. A. Hoover, Moses Epstein, Schcenfeld & Co.; dressmaker, Mrs. Weldon; dentists, J. "W. Meredith, R. .Newhouse, J. D. "Wirt; druggists, Ashman, Temple & Roes, Bryant & N orris, A. H. Coble, Coulter, Given & Co., I. H. Ghent, William Strange; dry-goods, Allen & James, B. F. Cohee, Charles Gordon, M. Hertz, J. H. Paris, U. W. Yundt, New England Store; express agents, W. S. Kramer (American), J. Van Arsdel (United States); furniture, F. Byers, G. W. Goodwin & Son, A. Stottler, C. L. "Wirt; feed stables, Aughe & Son, "William Cullom, Cast & Lee; fish-market, T. King; groceries, Hillis & Shanklin (wholesale), W. A. Avery, J. Byram, E. Catterlin & Son, J. A. Cook, J. H. Fennell & Son, Seawright & Halliday, E. A. Spray, J. "W. Maish, Osborne & Klepinger, J. B. Stottler, O. I. Thompson, J. Workoff, P. J. Watkins, H. Y. Ransom & Son; flour-mills, D. F. Allen & Bro., M. Sims & Co., Montgomery & Teter; house and sign painter, Scroggy ; harness- makers, P. Dorner, Freeman & Hurst, P. Clark, William Wolevers; grain elevators, D. F. Allen & Bro., Campbell & Young; Coulter House, G. S. Freeman; Mansion House, Charles Seip; marble shops, David Paul, Yansickle & Son; livery stables, Edwards & Ashman, W. L. Dearth, Edwards & Akers, Charles Pelly; meat markets, J. W. Aughe, Ball Everett, S. A. Green, Ball & Hill Bros., Bentley & Spitznagel; gas and steam-fitter, W. L. Williams; laundry, Charles Seip; poultry dealers, Drowberger & Co.; dye-works, G. W. Forshee; restaurants, Cushwa Bros., Kempf Bros., Parsons, J. W. Bunnell, E. H. Whittaker, Long & Miller; jewelers, Blake & Ham, Ashman, Temple & Ross, J. H. Boyer; wood and coal, J. A. Harriman, W. G. Morris; wholesale confectionery, Fuller Bros.; notions, Parks & Gregg, Jos. Goldman, Brackmeyer & Snyder; gunsmith, F. M. Aughe; tailors, S. F. Ray, J. G. Meifeld & Son, A. C. Campbell, A. J. Klopfer, Bristol & Son; lumber and planing-mills, F. Morgan, Kramer Bros., M. F. Fulkerson; machine shop, F. A. Colver &Co.; stave factory, Robert Bracken; tile factory, Wallace Manufacturing Company; saw-mills, E. Kramer, Logansport Manufacturing Company, E. Johnson; tin-shop, I. Colson; milliners, Mrs. A. J. Harrison, Mrs. Dunn, Mrs. Saltzmarr; news depot, R. M. Gard.
Frankfort has had local newspapers for nearly half a century, and is now well supplied, having the Wednesday and Saturday Crescent, Wednesday and Saturday Banner, Weekly Times, Weekly Democrat, Weekly Indianian and Daily News.