HISTORY OF CRAWFORD COUNTY
Crawford County, one of the poorest and smallest counties of the state, lies nestled among the hills of south-ern Indiana. This county is bounded on the north by Orange and Washington Counties, on the east by Harrison County, on the south by the Ohio River, and on the west by Perry and Dubois Counties.
The territory out of which the county was formed originally belonged to Harrison, Orange and Perry Counties. In those days there were few counties in the state. Hence, the counties were large and men had to travel so far to the county seats; for that reason many new counties were laid out from territory belonging to the others. During the year of 1818 the people of what is now Craw-ford County petitioned the General Assembly of Indiana, praying that a new county be formed out of Harrison, Perry, and Orange Counties. Martin H. Tucker, who was one of the prominent citizens, presented the petition to Senator Pennington of Harrison County. He introduced a bill in the Senate on January 1, 1818, where it passed January 5, 1818. Later the House passed the measure which the Governor signed on January 29, 1818. Hence,
January 29 is the county's birthday. The boundaries of the county were not definitely estab-lished until 1831. During that year the General Assembly enacted a law fixing the boundaries of the various counties. Since that date the county has had the following bound-aries : Beginning at the mouth of Big Blue River and follow-ing the river with its meandering until it reached the line dividing section 26 from 27 in township three south, range two east, thence north along that line until it intersects the river, thence following the river with its windings to Wash-ington County, thence west to Orange County line, thence south two miles, thence west twenty miles, thence south nine miles, thence east six miles, thence south four miles, thence east six miles, thence south to the Ohio River, thence following the river to the mouth of Big Blue River.
On different occasions the citizens of Perry County and Harrison County petitioned the General Assembly to be allowed to unite certain parts of these counties to Crawford County, but many of the petitions have been rejected.
When the county was first organized there were five townships. They were Ohio, Jennings, Patoka, Sterling and Whisky Run.
Ohio was over on the river, from which it probably was named. Patoka, which was in the west end of the county, was named after the Patoka River which is in that vicinity.
Mount Sterling township, which was later called simply Sterling, was named after Mount Sterling, Kentucky, both of which doubtless were named after Lord Sterling. This Sterling was an American general in the Revolutionary War.
Jennings was named after Governor Jennings who lived up about Charleston. Whisky Run was named after an Indian named Ouiska. Back in those days creeks were called runs. Ouiska lived over on a small creek where his tepee was located. Being a friendly Indian whom the settlers liked, they often spoke of Ouiska Run. Later the word was written Whisky Run.
Crawford County was named in honor of William H. Crawford, who was a candidate for the presidency in 1824. At that time he was a member of Monroe's Cabinet and had many warm friends in Indiana. Other men claim that the county was named after the unfortunate Indian agent whom Washington sent west to deal with the Indians. That agent was named Crawford. He was captured by the Indians and burned to death at Sandusky, Ohio, about 1782. The county contained about three hundred square miles. When it was organized in 1818 the county was heavily forested. There were not many acres of swamp land in the county. The uplands were covered with oak, hickory, gum, beech, poplar and walnut, while the creek bottoms were covered with sugar, elm and sycamore. As a hunting ground the county was not surpassed by any in the state, while the streams of Big Blue, Little Blue, Turkey Fork and Bogard Fork were the very best for fishing. The white sulphur well at Sulphur, Indiana, is unsurpassed by any spring of mineral water in the state. The Marengo and Wyandotte caves are considered by some to be the most beautiful in the world.
When the county was organized in 1818 many settlers had located in various parts of the county. Map I will indicate who had bought farms in Crawford County before 1818 with names and descriptions of the land. Just how many settlers were in the county in 1818 one can not now say, but there must have been a large number. Uncle Peter Peckinpaugh located in the Big Bottom near Cape Sanday about 1806, but fearing the Indians he moved back into Kentucky and did not return for several years. Mr. - "Walker moved from Kentucky and "located at the mouth of Little Blue about 1806, where he built a cabin house and reared his family of children. His grandson, who keeps the Commercial Hotel at English, is Mr. A. C. Walker. The Jones family is another old family among our early settlers. Gorry Jones, who was born in Hardin County. Kentucky, moved to Crawford County in 1814. He settled near Beechwood in Ohio township where lie married Miss McCoy, who was a popular Hardin County girl. Gorry Jones had a family of seven children, five of whom were boys and two were girls. John Jones, who was his oldest son, was born in 1802. He married Jane Abell in 1822, to whom were born fourteen children. He lived in Ohio township until his death in 1875. George Jones, who was related to these Joneses, was also an early settler. Luther L. Jones, who lives at Schooner Point in Ohio township, is a grandson of Gorry Jones. The pop-ulation of the county in 1820 was 2,583.
The first county seat was located in section 33, town-ship two south, range one east. The site is about four miles southeast of the present town of English. The site occupies a level plain of land located on an elevated tract of land. The settlers named the seat of justice Mount Sterling, after a town of the same name in Montgomery County, Kentucky. The old records show that Birney Labruk made the plat of the town. Thomas W. Aubrey, who was probably the first justice of the peace in the county, states that Birney Labruk came before him Jan-uary 25, 1818, and acknowledged the plat to be the true plat of Mount Sterling. Brice Patrick, who was the county agent, brought the plat to the recorder's office where Will-iam Samuels recorded the plat November 11, 1818. One may see the original drawing on pages two and three of book one in the recorder's office of Crawford County.
Section 4 of the law which organized the county ap-pointed John Kibble of Washington County, Joseph W. Doke of Orange County, Samuel Connor of Perry County, John McClure of Daviess County, and Thomas Carr of Clark County to compose a committee who would locate a seat of justice for the county. This committee was ordered to meet at the house of James Brown and on the third Monday in April of that year proceed to select the new seat of justice.
Section 5 reads: "It shall be the duty of the sheriff of Harrison County to notify the commissioners of their appointment. The commissioners of the new county were authorized to pay the members of this commission a reason-able sum out of the first money collected."
Section 6 reads: "The board of commissioners of.Crawford County shall within 12 months after the seat of justice shall be established proceed to erect the necessary public buildings thereon."
Section 7 reads: "Until suitable accommodations can be had at the new seat of justice all the courts which are held in the county shall be held at the house of James Barker, after which the courts shall be held at the new court house."
Section 8 reads: "The agent who shall lay out and sell the lots at the new seat of justice shall reserve in his hands 10% of the net proceeds for use of a county library in the county. The sum of money shall be paid over to the proper one who is selected to receive the sum."
The commission met at the home of James Brown and, after due examination, selected Mount Sterling for the seat of justice.
The streets of the town ran north and south and east and west. The streets running north and south were named Carr, Ribble, Doke, Samuel, Hall, and Totten, while those running east and west were named Main, Mar-ket and Water streets. The streets were sixty-five feet wide and the alleys were ten feet wide.
Only a few houses were ever built in Mount Sterling. On February 11, 1819, Brice Patrick, who was the county agent, sold to William P. Thomasson lots 73, 101, 105, 76, 102, 93, 127, 75, 138, 74, 128, 113, 122, 105, 107, 137, for $1,500. These lots were known as bond lots, the record of which is found in Book I, page 11.
The old log jail which was built in those early days was still standing in the sixties. Minor Satterfield, who lives near the site of the town, in 1921 told the author that he remembered seeing the old jail when he was a boy. So_ it must have been standing as late as 1865. The parents of William Beasley, who lives near English, once'lived in the old jail. William remembers when they lived there.
The county clerk's records showed that the August and December terms of the Circuit Court were held there in 1818. James Brashear, who lived there, let the officers use his new log house for a court room. A few old apple trees of the horse apple variety were still standing in 1900. The writer was informed that Henry Batman, who cleared up some of the old fields in 1900, said that the appletrees were still living.
Some effort was made to get settlers to locate in Mount Sterling. The General Assembly enacted a law in 1819 authorizing the county commissioners to lay out new lots and to alter the old lots if occasion required it.
The most serious objection to the growth of the town was the absence of water. Settlers in those pioneer days did not want to locate unless there was a quantity of wholesome water near by. In the year of 1842 at the Sep-tember session of the Board of Justices one finds that Sam-uel Pepper, who was a prominent lawyer in Leavenworth, was appointed attorney for the county. He gave notice in the Harrison County Gazette, warning all men not to buy any county orders issued by the said county for the improvement of lots in Mount Sterling. This order was posted in all the townships. The bill to appoint commis-sioners to relocate the county seat of Crawford County was introduced Saturday, December 1. 1821, and passed Decem-ber 13, 1821. More will be said about the county seat later. Mr. George Beasley lives on the very plot of ground where the old town was laid out.
The records of the county have a very interesting book on which are written the names of all men who bought land from the Government with dates and description of the land. The county recorder has the book which he calls the "tract book." Prom it the writer has taken the names of the men given below:
Henry Green moved into Crawford County where he bought a farm, August 1, 1812. This farm was located in section 34, township 2 south, range 2 east, being the south-west quarter of the section. Squire Henry Green's farm lay near Mount Lebanon. Judge Green, who was born in Ireland, came to this country when he was a young man. From Virginia he moved west and finally located on the west side of Big Blue River. The land then was part of Harrison County. Henry Green was a very useful citizen. During his long life he was employed in many capacities of service. Crawford County honored him in electing him judge of the court. When Davis Floyd visited the county in 1818 to organize the first circuit court in the county Judge Green and James Glenn were present to help him. Under the old Constitution in those days there were three judges. David Floyd was the chief judge with Glenn and Green as assistants. Glenn and Green were associate jus-tices, which name was used in those days. Green, who was elected to represent Crawford County in the General As-sembly in 1821, served the state and county well. He voted for nearly all the important bills, among which was one to establish the office of attorney-general.
He introduced petitions sent to him by Honorable James Glenn and others, praying that a commission be appointed to relocate the county seat of Crawford County. These petitions were referred to a select committee com-posed of Henry Green of Crawford County, Charles Dewey of Orange County, Alexander Wallace of Orange County, and Moses Kirkpatriek of Floyd County. After the com-mittee had duly considered the matter, Green reported a bill providing for the appointment of a board of commis-sioners to select a permanent site for a county seat. The bill having been passed, the Governor signed it on Decem-ber 22, 1821. Besides the good work done by Green as a legislator, he was one of the prominent citizens of the county to whom the others could look for guidance. He was supervisor on the "Governor's Old Trail" for a long time. He was justice of peace for many years. He died at his home near Mount Lebanon, at which place he was buried in his own private cemetery.
No farms were sold in the county during the year of 1813. The War of 1812 was on then and men were not locating in the West so freely on account of the Indians.
In 1814 the following men bought farms in Crawford County: James Totten, Henry Fullenwider, William Mc-Kay, Andrew and Joseph Kinkaid, Moses Smith and Rob-ert Fields.
Of the above named men probably Henry Fullenwider was the most noted. He was a leading citizen at Alton for many years. He built a mill near his home to which the farmers took their grist. When the citizens divided up township four south, range one east, into school districts about 1837 Henry Fullenwider was elected district trustee for District No. 4. One finds in those days that each man had his private cemetery. So on the hill west of Alton about two miles, "Uncle Henry," as his good neighbors called him, selected the site for the cemetery. The follow-ing article appeared in the Crawford County Democrat a few months ago. "A handsome and appropriate monu-ment, a gift of their five living sons, Doctor Jack Fullen-wider of Mount Vernon, Professor Percy Fullenwider of the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music, John, William and Marshall of Roberta, Kentucky, was erected over Haden Fullenwider's grave, a descendant of Colonel Henry and Delilah, his wife at Fullenwider's cemetery, Tuesday, October 13th. This ceremony recalls the open hospitality of this honored couple for many years of their happy life spent at the old Colonel Henry home which was the social center of the community during the years in which they raised their family of six boys and four girls. The ceme-tery also contains the grave of Jonathan Boone, a nephew of Daniel Boone, who died in 1827. The colonel's part is separated from the rest by a stone wall. His descendants live near Alton to-day, one of whom married Doctor H. H. Deen, who has a large practice at Leavenworth."
James Totten, who was a very interesting character, was appointed sheriff of Crawford County in 1825.
The two Kinkaids were members of the Christian Church. They helped organize the class at the Three Forks of Little Blue about 1819. They lived in a one-room log house. David M. Stewart was the one who organized the church in October, 1819. There were thirteen members in Kinkaid's class. After a few years a log house was built. One finds references to it in the Commissioner's Records. It was named "Blue River Meeting House." The father, Joseph Kinkaid, and his son, Andrew Kinkaid, were very prominent citizens of the county. They held various offices of different kinds. Mary E. Miller of near English is the granddaughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Kinkaid.
Moses Smith's farm was located near English. For many years he was a leading citizen in Sterling township, where he raised a large family of children, one of whom was Minor Smith. Minor was the father of George C. Smith and James Smith. The people elected James Smith treasurer in 1916 on the Republican ticket, by a handsome majority over James M. Brown.
During the year of 1815, John Hastings, John Green, Robert and Isaac Sands bought farms.
During 1816, Michael Harvey, James Mcintosh, Abra-ham Sheckels, William Sharp, Eli Wright, Riggs Penning-ton, George Repley and Robert Yates bought farms in the county. Of the above number Robert Yates was commis-sioned County Commissioner by Governor Jennings when the county was organized.
The list of men who bought farms in 1817 was much larger. The following men were the most important: George Jones, Henry Richards, Martin Scott, John Flan-nery, John Sturgeon, John Sands, Robert Scott, James Green, Daniel Weathers, and Archibald Allen. These men were good citizens, hardy pioneers, and patriotic men.
Martin Scott, who was born in 1777, came from Vir-ginia. His farm was situated about four miles north of Leavenworth, on the "Old Leavenworth and Salem" road. Many of his descendants live in the county today. When Davis Floyd came to "Old Mount Sterling" in Crawford County to organize the first circuit court, Mr. Scott was a member of the first grand jury. He was road supervisor and lister of Jennings township for many years. At times Mr. Scott seems to have displayed a very bad temper. The records of the county show that he was fined $1.00 in May, 1829, for swearing. He lived to a ripe old age, dying in 1858. He was buried in his private cemetery. Aniel Fro-man owns the well-known farm of Martin Scott.
Daniel Weathers and his brother Richard were born in Wales. They moved to Virginia and from there to Ten-nessee. Daniel Weathers, who lived in Tennessee in 1800, cast his vote for Adams. Richard Weathers lived in Knos-ville, Tennessee, and voted for Adams too. While living in Knoxville Richard Weathers married a southern girl. Neither one of the brothers liked slavery, so they decided to move north. They crossed the Ohio River near Tobacco Landing, on a raft which they pushed by a long pole. Rich-ard settled just east of Milltown, in Harrison County, on what is now known as the McCutcheon farm. Here he lived in a three-sided log cabin.
While hunting one day he crossed the Big Blue River near where Milltown now stands and came over into Craw-ford County. The scenery charmed him so much that he decided to locate in Crawford County. So he moved to where Marengo now is and squatted on what is now (1919), Lyman Jones' farm. Here he worked for 25 cents a day until he had saved $75, most of which was continental paper money. One night his old cow found the purse and chewed the money till it was damaged. So Mr. Weathers did not buy the farm, but sold out his claim, and squatted on what is now Dave Apple's farm. Meanwhile Daniel Weathers had been more fortunate, and had bought the farm men-. tioned above. Richard Weathers, who was a hard-working man, did not buy till 1825.
After the law was enacted providing for Crawford County, Governor Jennings selected Daniel Weathers to be the first sheriff. The commission was issued September 8, 1818. The bond of Sheriff Weathers is here given: "Know all men by these presents; that we, Daniel Weathers, James Barker, John Smith, Robert Yates, Thomas Roberts, Riggs Pennington, and Richard Weathers are held bound to Gov-ernor Jennings and his successors in office for the sum of $5000, for which payment we jointly and severally promise to pay Governor Jennings and his successors in office, pro-vided, however, that if Daniel Weathers discharges his du-ties according to law, the above obligation is null and void. Signed for the State
James Barker and
Recorder op C. C.
Signed for Weathers
Daniel Weathers performed his duties faithfully till he was relieved from duty about 1822. These two Weathers reared large families, several of whose sons served their country well in the Civil War. Major W. V. Weathers, Captain Enoch Weathers, James M. Weathers, Andrew E. Weathers, and James Weathers have remarkable war rec-ords. When Captain Thomas Hines of Bowling Green made his daring raid into Crawford County in 1863, he talked with Captain Enoch Weathers at his home in Marengo. Of course Weathers did not know who he was then. Last, but not least, of the many descendants of the two Weathers is Honorable John Henry Weathers of New Albany. The Republicans nominated him for judge in 1896. The district was generally Democratic by 600. Weathers was defeated by Judge Cook after a hard fought campaign by a narrow margin of 52 votes.
The names of the men who bought farms in Crawford County in 1818 were: Malachi Monk, George Wyman, Moses Smith, Thomas Easley, George Wilks, Charles Springer, Elisha Tadlock, Elisha Tatten, Peter Funk, Sam Westfall, Abraham Wiseman, Cornelius Hall, John Lee, Jacob Conrad, Elizabeth Wright, and Peter Sonner.
Cornelius Hall was appointed County Commissioner in 1818. Mr. Hall who was well read in law was one of the jurors at the trial of Ouley, about which much will be writ-ten later. When Mr. Hall's term of office expired he be-came associate justice of Crawford County which office he held for many years.
Elisha Tadlock was the first Seminary trustee. When the law was enacted in 1818, Governor Jennings appointed him trustee. On December 18, 1821, he made his first re-port to the General Assembly of Indiana, which showed that he had $100.50 of the Seminary funds. He was elected to represent Crawford County in the General Assembly in 1825. He was overseer of the poor in Whisky Run Town-ship for many years. In those days there was no county farm to which paupers were sent. The County Commis-sioners generally appointed some one in each township. In 1825, the board allowed him $37.50 for keeping Timothy Bennett for three months. Mr. Tadlock was collector of the state revenues in 1827. Mr. Tadlock has many descen-dants in Crawford County, all of whom have been well respected people.
Moses Smith bought a farm near where English is now. He reared a large family. His son, Minor Smith, grew up in Sterling township, where he reared a large family of children, two of which were George C. Smith and James J. Smith. The Smiths have always been good citizens and popular with the people. In 1914 George Smith was elected trustee of Patoka township by the Republican party. Patoka being a Democratic township by 200 majority, one can see that Smith must have secured a large number of their votes. James Smith was elected county treasurer in 1916, by the Republicans, over James M. Brown. His majority was 191. Hence 200 Democrats must have voted for him. This will give the reader a good idea of the re-spect the people have for them.
Malachi Monk, who was one of the early settlers, built the "Old Indian Block House" near where Marengo now stands. The exact site of the block house was near where County Clerk Ross' house now stands. His son was elected county auditor in 1868, which office he held till 1876.
Abram Wiseman located in what is now Ohio township. He and Jacob Wiseman moved to Kentucky and later into Crawford County. These two Wisemans reared large families in Crawford County. Among the war records one finds George E. Wiseman, Philip Wiseman, Abram Wise-man, William Wiseman and Henry Wiseman were soldiers in the Union army while Henry Newton Wiseman was in the Spanish American War. In the World War, many of his descendants took part. The Wisemans have always been, since the Civil War, Republicans.
The Wisemans claim that in the early history of the West a certain Wiseman boy was captured by the Indians who adopted him into the tribe of Shawnees. When he became a man, he married an Indian girl. To them was born an Indian boy who became the famous Tecumseh. Later he left the Indians.
Captain Peter Funk was an outstanding character in history. When Harrison called on him and wanted him to organize a company of cavalry and march against the Indians, he lived in Kentucky'. He mounted a horse, and at great speed rode to the Capitol and asked permission from the Kentucky Governor. The road from Louisville was so bad that the horse died from exhaustion. In the battle the man used good judgment and his men gave a good account of themselves. The men kept cool and fired where they saw flashes of the Indians' guns. When day came they were easily routed by a few vigorous charges. The historian affirms that the Prophet told the Indians that he would stand on a certain high rock and sing the magic songs during the battle, and that he could charm away the balls fired from the Kentucky rifles. After the battle he was called to account for his conduct. He saved his reputation among the Indians to some extent by explain-ing that his squaw had "tinkered" with the beads on the chain, but many of the Indians still feared Harrison, Punk, and Daviess. Mr. Funk, after the war was over, settled al out two miles north of Milltown. The Funks have been a prominent family all through the history of the county. Solomon Funk and John E. Funk were supporters of the Republican party in 1860. Later John E. Funk, who was elected County Commissioner in 1894, helped to move the seat of justice from Leavenworth to English in 1895. Another descendant of these Funks is Cadmus Funk, who was elected Sheriff over the Democratic candidate by 331 votes. The county being heavily Democratic, one will see that Funk must have been very popular, since his opponent, Louis V. Byrum was a very good man too.
The names of the men who bought farms in the county in 1819, were: John Roth, Henry Richards, John Hughes, Henry Jones, John Sheckels, Jonathan Bird, AVilliam Groves, and David Rice.
In 1820, Dave Miller, Sam Kemp, John Morgan, Joseph Van Winkle, Addison Williams, and Reuben Wright bought farms in Crawford County.
Sam Kemp's farm was west of Fredonia about two miles, in section 7, town 4 south, range 1 east. Here he reared a family. One of the sons was John Kemp who was a member of the 49th Indiana Volunteers. He was wounded several times in action. Uncle Sam Kemp's grandson lives in Alton today. His name is Clay Kemp.
Much can be said about Addison Williams whose farm was located in section 14, town 3 south, range 1 east. He worked hard to secure settlers for the county. He platted a town which he called New Haven. The plat was recorded at the county seat. No one bought lots so no town grew up. Later he platted a town called Magnolia. Here several men bought lots and built houses. Mr. Williams operated a large still and a mill in Magnolia. The plat was filed in the Recorder's office July 4, 1838. Magnolia is situated northwest of Leavenworth about four miles. Today it has several houses, store, and postoffiee.
In 1821, these men bought farms in the county: James Brown, James McMartin, Robert Samuels, Richard White, Hamilton McKee,-Gwartney, Ed Sturgeon, William Riley, Lawrence Beers, John VanMeter, Archibald Stone, John Condra, Mason Jenkins, B. Bogard, Joel Lyons, Rich-ard White, James Mansfield, Jackson Nicholson, James Totten, Abram Bird, John Goldman, David Lowe, Burton Parr.
The Mansfield family lived at Leavenworth. James M. Mansfield, who was a son of James Mansfield, was a Union soldier in time of the Civil War. In 1866 he was elected clerk of the county. The school at Mansfield was named after him because he gave the lot of ground on which the house was built. B urton Parr was a very useful citizen. One of his grandsons was E. E. Parr, who is trustee of Boone Town-ship at date of writing.
James Totten proved a good citizen. He was appointed sheriff in 1825. At that time the office was hard to fill.
Abram Sheckels bought a large farm near Cape Sandy. There he built a double log-house which is still standing. Men use it for a tobacco barn now. The Sheckel school, which stood near the East Cemetery, was named after him. This school house was burned down about 1896. Oliver Morton Sheckel, who is superintendent of the city schools of Brownstown, is a descendant of "Uncle Abram" Sheckel.
In 1822 these men bought farms: Julius Woodford, Peter Frakes, David Brown, Obadiah Childs, Jacob Conrad, Wilson Scott, Samuel McMahan, Robert S. Thorn, Reuben D. Thom, Thomas Conon,"and Ebenezer E. Morgan.
Julius Woodford for many years was one of the leading citizens of the county. He was elected county com-missioner from the second district in 1833, to succeed Zebulum Leavenworth whose term expired that year. He was one of the first merchants of Leavenworth. In those days men were compelled to get a license to keep a store. The record shows that he was granted a license in 1825, to sell foreign merchandise. He sold the lot to the seminary trus-tees in 1835, on which the old seminary was built. E. E. Morgan became one of the county's most influential citizens. He held many offices of trust one of which was the office of County Recorder. He was appointed to this office in 1825, and retired in 1846, after 21 years of service.
John Austin and William Patton bought farms in 1823. This year saw the entries of the Austins and Pattons whose descendants are found scattered over the hills of old Crawford County.
The list in 1824 was: John R. Wyman, Henry Rhodes, David Wilbur, Edward Riddings.
For 1825, these men bought land: David Beals, Joseph Beals, Richard Weathers, John Mahan, Robert Baldwin, Adam Denison, Walter Gresham, John Funk, Will Stroud, and Thomas Walker.
This year saw a new list of men enter the county. The Beals family has been one of the most prominent. Supt. S. A. Beals, of English, is a grandson of Joseph Beals whose farm lies in Jennings township. The farm is now owned by Marsh Parr.
The Gresham family later located in Harrison County, where Walter Q. Gresham was born. He became a well distinguished citizen of Indiana, a learned judge on the Federal Bench in Illinois, a candidate for the presidency in 1888, and Secretary of State under Cleveland in 1893, until his death in 1895.
One should not pass by the Walker family without com-ment. Thomas Walker's farm was near the mouth of Little Blue. Here he reared a family of children, one of whom married a southern girl about the time of the Civil War. The southern men never liked this man. When the Civil War was going on they caught him and tested him thoroughly by all kinds of questions. One asked him for whom he voted for president. When they heard him answer "Lincoln" they became furious but for some reason he was spared. A. C. Walker, who is proprietor of the Com-mercial Hotel at English, is a grandson of Thomas Walker.
In 1826, these men bought farms: Henry Brag, Sam Scott, William Good, R, S. Thorn, and Dudley Gresham.
John Peckinpaugh, David Lone, Charles Springer, William Riley, David Attleberry, Robert Milescat, Francis Able, Thomas Parr, Milton Holcraft, 0. Raymond, Thomas Davidson, Samuel Bird, W. P. Thompson, Edward Butler, William Taylor, James Stuart, and Isaiah Bullington bought farms in 1827.
No farms were sold in 1828. The list for 1829 was: John Leggett, J. H. Mills, Seth and Zebulum Leavenworth, Woods Proctor, Librim Frisbie, John Lynd, and Thomas Davidson.
The preceding lists contain the names of all the men who bought farms until 1830. By referring to the map one can see where each man's farm was located.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails