Dearborn County Indiana



LAWRENCEBURG-Mrs. Delia May Ballard, 86 years old, is dead of injuries sustained in a fall about two weeks ago.
The Indianapolis Star May 12, 1916

Died of Paralysis
Dillsboro, Ind., Aug. 17.—Samuel Campbell, seventy years old, died today of paralysis, and Mrs. Campbell, his wife, died Iyesterday of heart failure. They had been in poor health since last fall, and spent the winter in Forida.  They were married three years ago. Mrs. Campbell's first husband, Thomas having, was  a cousin of her last husband, and the two were reared in one home, fourteen years ago Mrs. Ewing's only son married Mr. Campbell's only daughter. The double funeral was held today In the M. K. Church, after which the body or Mr. Campbell was removed to Rising Sun to rest beside that of his first wife, while the body of Mrs. Campbell was taken to Mt. Tabor, where her first husband lies buried.
Date: 1908-08-17; Paper: Evening News

Mary Churchill, the widow of Joseph Churchill of Sparta died September 12, 1877 at the family homestead.  She was one of twelve children.

Frederick Cook, died Jul 21, 1868, son of Frances Cook at the age of 11 months.

Reuben Jackson Dawson was born March 13, 1811, at a now-forgotten village called Cambridge, six miles west of Lawrenceburg, and one mile from the present village of Guilford, a station on the Indianapolis & Cincinnati Railroad, Dearborn County, Ind. In his early history there was nothing signal, except that among the young men of his age and place, he was pre-eminent for his good sense aud philosophic mind. His facilities for an ordinary English education were limited, and the means of purchasing a good education were much more limited. His daily avocation was farming and clearing land, and, toward his manhood, he taught a common school for one term, but never repeated his experience. Having a fine mathematical mind, he improved it as best he could, and, about 1831, learned the profession of plain surveying with Samuel Morrison, at his county seat, and toot a course of law reading in the office of the Hon. George H. Dunn, since deceased. In May, 1832, his brotherin-law, Col. John C. Spencer, having been appointed Receiver of Public Moneys, at Fort Wayne, he came to this place about the 13th of that month and accepted a position as clerk in the Receiver's office, filling the position in a business manner, and with the entire confidence of his principal. During this time, he was appointed Surveyor of Allen County, and, about 1833, was awarded the contract, by the United States Government, for subdividing and platting a large body of wild lands, now constituting a part of the counties of Elkhart, Kosciusko and Noble, which he completed early in 1834. After that, having thus earned means on whioh to operate, he spent several years speculating in real estate. In 1837, he resumed his law reading in the office of another brother-in-law, Thomas Johnson, Esq., one of the purest men of Fort Wayne, a polished gentleman and finished lawyer. In the spring of 1838, he was admitted to the bar in this city, and, entering into a partnership with his preceptor, Mr. Johnson, at once took a high rank among the best practitioners. About February 1, 1840, the office of County Judge having become vacant by the resignation of Hon. Lucian P. Ferry, Mr. Dawson was appointed by the Governor to that position and held it until his successor was elected and qualified, in the following November. In 1840, he began to spend a part of his time in a portion of De Kalb County, where he had a large estate, a saw and grist mill, and a dry-goods store, and, in 1841, concluded to reside there, which he did, and platted the town of Spencerville, where he resided until his death, identifying himself with the interests of DeKalb County. Until January, 1846, he devoted himself almost entirely to the improving of his property, but occasionally practiced law in the county of De Kalb when not attending to his business interests, which were extensive and lucrative. In January, 1846, he was married to Miss Minerva Catlin, of Spencerville, a lady of refinement and education, who survives him, with three sons, and is now the wife of S. Gary Evans, formerly a banker of Fort Wayne, but now one of the proprietors of Riverside, Cel. In 1849, he was elected to represent the counties of De Kalb and Steuben in the Legislature, and, in 1850, was elected Senator for the district composed of the counties of De Kalb, Noble and Steuben, both of whioh positions he tilled to the satisfaction of his constituents, and with credit to himself.

In January, 1862, Judge Dawson was placed on the Democratic ticket as Elector for Franklin Pierce. Soon after, he was Prosecuting Attorney for the county, but soon resigned that position.

In January, 1868, on the resignation of Hon. J. L. Worden as Circuit Judge, Gov. Willard tendered that position to Judge Dawson. He accepted the position and held his first term of court at Bluffton, Wells Co., commencing about the 1st of February and being the first of the spring circuits, which ended in June of that year, with but one week's rest. During this time, a crisis arose which tested his nerve and judicial skill. Northern Indiana had long been infested by a band of horse-thieves, counterfeiters, etc., and the public mind was aroused to a degree unparalleled in the history of the State, and a determination to put down lawlessness at all hazards was plainly shown. When the La Grange Circuit Court opened, many were in custody, charged with these crimes, and many citizens were present, determined to see law and order prevail, or else take the enforcement of the laws into their own hands, as the courts had before seemed powerless in the hands of this band and its abettore. They soon found they had a Judge who could not be intimidated from doing his duty, and by his prompt and fearless rulings on the side of law and order, all danger of lynch law was averted. Again, in Noble County, when court opened at Albion, a few weeks later, an intense feeling was manifested. One McDougall had been hung by the "Regulators" a short time before and a number were awaiting trial for crimes of that kind, and had employed the best legal talent in Northeastern Indiana to defend them. Their plan was to challenge the array of grand and petit jurors, and by other dilatory motions and pleas, so embarrass the Judge that there would result errors in the record; but Judge Dawson proved equal to the emergency, and the excited people soon found that law and order was the best course and remained satisfied. There seems to be no doubt that, by his just and fearless conduct at this trying period, this section of Indiana was spared the disgrace of a tumult, wherein lynch law would have run riot, and bloody scenes have occurred which would have been blots upon our civilization. His whole judicial career was marked with good results, and had he wished he could have had nearly an unanimous re-election, but he voluntarily retired from the bench in November, 1858.

In August of that year, the Democratic party of the Tenth District nominated him for Congress, but he fell in the contest, the victim of a disease affecting the kidneys and liver with which he was first attacked while holding court at Fort Wayne in the preceding spring. He died May 14, 1859, at his residence in Spencerville. On the announcement of his death in court, a committee, consisting of David H. Colerick, Charles Case, John Morris and William M. Crane, was appointed to draft resolutions of respect, and the court adjourned. That committee so epitomized his character that we can do no better than to quote from their report, which was ordered entered of record. They say: "He, as a lawyer, was faithful, conscientious and energetic; as a legislator, honest, disinterested and patriotic; as a Judge, pure, impartial and efficient—his rulings and decisions inspiring unbounded confidence; as a citizen, upright and enterprising; as a neighbor, kind, benevolent and condescending— the peer of the best, the equal of the beat of his peers; as a friend, confiding and generous; as a companion, cheerful and entertaining; as a man of business, sagacious and prudent; as a reasoner, philosophic; as a husband, most constant, most affeotionate and most devoted; as a parent, most kind and indulgent; and finally, as a partisan, he never gave up to party, what was meant for mankind. Twenty years have elapsed since this verdict was written, and it has now passed into final judgment, as the estimate of his character by cotemporaries, who knew him best, and best knew his worth.
Bonnie T "History of Allen County, Indiana" Published 1880, Chicago; Kingman Brothers

Isaac B. Desha, died on the 13th inst. after having experienced all the horros of death when living.
Indiana Palladium, Vol 2, No 33, Lawrenceburg, Dearborn County, 26 Aug 1826- transcribed by J.S.

Republican Compiler, Gettysburg, PA,  Nov 3, 1829
Died on Wednesday the 14th of October last, of consumption, at Lawrenceburg, in the State of Indiana, Mr. James Fleming Ewing, son of Mr. John Ewing, of this county, aged about 26 years.
Nancy Piper

Christopher Fredrick Ginter was born September 9th 1855 in Dearborn County, Indiana and died March 16th 1922 at his home near Perry, Oklahoma. When a young man he moved to Platte County, Missouri, where he was married to Miss Missouri A. McCall March 14th 1878. Early in his life he recognized Christ his learer and lived a consistent christian life. He was a good man, a kind neighbor, honest in all his dealings. He leaves besides his wife a sister and two brothers, Mrs. C.H. Olmstead and John Ginter of Glendora California, and E.W. Ginter of Los Angeles, Cal. Also two adopted nieces Mrs. C.V. Edwards of Okmulgee and Mrs. Ameal Hansing of Perry, Oklahoma. Mrs. Ginter's brothers, M.F. McCall of North Kansas City, Rober McCall and Morton McCall were with her
Perry Rebulican 3/23/1922  Transcribed by Erica Beatty

John M. Grimsley, died April 15, 1893.  he was born Sept 24, 1850 near Aurora.  He taught in the Hamilton County, Ohio schools.  He was married to the former Mrs. Anna B. Heaton Glass on Feb 26, 1874.  He was  buried at Aurora.  He was the son-in-law of Mr. Eben Heaton of Dearborn County.

Priscilla Jane Heaton,  died in her sleep January 7, 1914 at her home in Moores Hill.  She was buried in Riverview Cem. in Aurora.  She was the widow of Eben T. Heaton and the mother of two daughters:  Mrs. Anna B. Grimsley and Mrs. Ida Herbst,  three sons:Edward, George W.  and William Heaton.  She was survived by one sister Mrs. Alice Lockridge of Greensburg and two brothers J. W. Lambertson of Moores Hill and S. P. Beardsley of Oklahoma.
Albert Johnson died April 6, 1868 at the age of 21 years.

Mr. B. (Benjamine) F. Johnson, prominent business man of the city of Moore's Hill died June of 1890, at the home of his brother J. W. Johnson.  Survived by a wife and two sons.

Charles Johnson, son of Andrew J. and Sara (Cunningham) Johnson was born in Pennsboro W. Virginia, Oct 31, 1866 and died March16, 1924 at Hope, Arkansas on his job.  He was survived by his mother Mrs. Sarah J. Johnson, three sisters, Mrs. Ida Wittmer, Mrs. Maud Liddle and Mrs. Cora Dietrich all of Dearborn Co. and two brothers Arthur and Ben Johnson.  Services were held in the home of Mrs. Cora Dietrich with burial at Greendale cemetery.
Frederick Cook, died Jul 21, 1868, son of Frances Cook at the age of 11 months.

Mrs. Margaret Johnson, daughter of John French died November 1869 at the age of 67 years and 6 months.  She was born in Merce Co., PA and was married in 1829 to Lytle Wiley Johnson.

Mary A. Johnson died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Jennie M. Sale at Aurora on Dec 8, 1893.

Mrs. Mary Johnson died Feb 27, 1868 near Cold Spring.  She was the mother of John W. Johnson.

Mrs. Nancy Johnson born in Worchester county, Maryland, August 5, 1805, died February 17, 1889 at the age of 89 years.  She and her husband came to Dearborn county in April 1828.  She lived at Sparta and Hogan Hill area.  She was the mother of 11 children.

Samuel I. Johnson died March 11, 1863, at the age of 49 years.  He lived in Washington City and was the son of Benjamin Johnson of Maryland.

Mrs. Susan Johnson the wife of William Johnson, died in March of 1868.  She was 75 years old.

Thomas Johnson died Jan 1911 at the age of 76 years old at his home near Moores Hill.  He was the elder brother of George W.  Johnson.

Jesse Jones died Aug 12, 1869 near Aurora.  He was 60 years old.

John Junker died December of 1869 at the age of 65 years of 6 months.  he was born in Bavaria in 1894 and came to America in 1851.
John Junker died December of 1869 at the age of 65 years of 6 months.  he was born in Bavaria in 1894 and came to America in 1851.
Contributed by: Janette Perryman

A man who has been identified as C. M. Patterson of Aurora, from papers in his pocket, was killed in a freight wreck at Tracy, LaPorte County, Ind.near the city of LaPorte early yesterday morning. A Baltimore and Ohio fast stock train, east bound, was wrecked, the trucks of one of the cars having broken. Fifty head .of cattle were killed, and in clearing away ihe debris the body of a man who is supposed to be Patterson, was discovered. The body was taken to LaPorte where it awaits information from the family.
Date: 1905-03-10; Paper: Republic

There was an explosion in the Crescent brewery at Aurora, Ind., on the 17th. Two men, named Pfeister and Swift, were killed and four others seriously wounded.
Date: 1891-01-19; Paper: Repository

We are sorry to learn that his excellency Gov. Ray has been confined to his room for some weeks past by severe indisposition. Report reached here last week of his death, but it was subsequently contradicted. On Thursday another report reached here that he died on Monday last. We are sow in belief of this report, and hope it is not true.
Indiana Palladium, Vol 4, No 34, Lawrenceburg, Dearborn County, 30 Aug 1828 - transcribed by J.S.

Name of Deceased: Samuel Kincaid
Newspaper: Indiana American
Submitters Name: Teresa Haines Rigney
Obit: Death of an Old Pioneer   22 December 1865
Mr. Samuel Rincaid died near Dillsboro, Dearborn County, on th 9th inst., in the 97th year of his age. He was a drummer boy in the Revolutionary war, and was present at the battle of Bunker Hill. His lineal descendants living are 11 children, 34 grand children, 62 great grand children and 7 great great grand children.

New Albany Daily Ledger Standard 27 Apr 1875 p4 c2: Benjamin Suddith, an aged and respectable citizen of Hardinsburg, died last Thursday.
Contributed by Sue Carpenter

New Albany Ledger Standard 11 Aug 1876 p4 c2: Death of Mr. Trotter. Mr. William Trotter, an old and respected citizen of Hardinsburg, this State, who for the past two or three years has been working at Somerset, Ky., died there recently. His remains were brought to the city today, and taken to his late home at Hardinsburg by Merker & Gwin, where he is to be buried by the Masonic fraternity. Mr. Trotter is well known to many of our citizens, and was one of the substantials  of Hardinsburg, where he owns a farm. He leaves a family. At the time of his death he was about sixty years old.
Contributed by Sue Carpenter

    Civil War Soldier and Ex-Member of the Legislature - Many Years A Longton Banker.
    Longton News:  Oliver H. Worley, who was stricken with paralysis Tuesday of last week, passed away at his home in this city early Monday morning, never having regained consciousness.
Oliver H. Worley was born in Aurora, Indiana, July 22, 1843, and passing away at his home in Longton June 25, 1928, aged 84 years, 11 months, and 3 days.
When but a youth Mr. Worley entered the service of his country, enlisting September 5, 1861, as a private in Company A, 7th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.  He saw active service and after the close of the war, returned home.
  In 1886 he came West and engaged in the cattle business for about eight years.  Retiring he engaged in the mercantile business, and following that followed farming for several years.  About 35 years ago he moved to Longton and took charge of the bank, then a private institution, which was later through his efforts made a state bank, he, owning a major part of the stock. After several years he assisted in organizing the Home National Bank in which he was one of the largest stock holders and president until his retirement in 1918.
  His business successes gave him a wide acquaintancee and he in 1910 was elected to legislature.  In 1912 he declined to run but in 1914 was again elected to the coming legislature.
  Mr. Worley was married in Independence, Kansas, November 25, 1880 to Celia Sewell, who died October 11, 1886, leaving a daughter, Ethel, now Mrs. John Kaff of Atchison.  A son, Raymond, died in 1882 at the age of one year.  In June 1888 he was married to Lucy A. Motzenbocker.  To the marriage was born one daughter, Enda, who is now Mrs. Hal E. Marshall of Wichita.
  He is survived by his wife and two daughters, 4 grandchildren, an only sister, Mrs. Mary B. Carter, of Joplin, Mo., and other more distant relatives.  Mr. Worly at the time of his death was a member of the Methodist church at Longton, a member of the Masonic lodge.
  Funeral services were held at the family home Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock, Rev. Frank L. Page of the Methodist church officiating.
  After the services the remains were taken to Independence by automobile where interment was made in Mt. Hope cemetery.
  The family having the sympathy of a large circle of friends.
Published in the Howard Courant, Howard, KS, July 5, 1928
  Submitted by L. Morgan


Copyright © Genealogy Trails