CHARLES A. DANZ, a native
of New Albany, Ind., was born Dec. 9, 1859. His father, Andreas Danz, a
native of Germany, came to America in 1847, and located at New Albany,
where he engaged in the manufacture of soap on an extensive scale,
which business he continued till his death, which occurred in 1877. his
mother, Barbara Franck Danz, is the daughter of the late Capt. John P.
Franck, one of the early settlers of the city, and one of the most
enterprising and respected citizens, starting the first soap factory in
the city, and commanding a company here during war of the Rebellion. He
died at New Albany in 1864. Three children were born to Andreas Danz
and Barbara Franck Danz, of whom Charles A. Danz is the only survivor.
Charles A. Danz was educated in the public schools of New Albany, and
graduated from the Commercial College of this city at the age of 17
years, taking charge of his father’s large soap factory at his
graduation, being a man of great business push and industry. In 1880 he
engaged in the saloon business on Pearl street, which he continues at
No. 113. He has been twice elected to the City Council from the Fourth
Ward of the city, and is now serving his second term. He was married in
1880 to Miss Minnie Shea, of New Albany, daughter of John Shea, and has
two children, Andreas and Anna.
(deceased), of New Albany, was born in Dayton,
Ohio, November 14, 1814. His father, John Davis, was a merchant, and
for many years magistrate of the county in which he resided. He married
Elizabeth Calcier, of Princeton, N.J. He took an active part with
General Wayne in the Indiana war, after the defeat of General St.
Clair. Judge Davis’ grandfather, Capt. Joseph Davis, emigrated from
Wales, and settled near Princeton, N.J. He participated in the struggle
for independence, and was with General Washington at the battles of
Monmouth and Princeton; at the latter place he lost a leg. John Steele
Davis early gave his attention to study and entered Miami University at
the age of 16; a short time afterward his father failed in business,
which necessitated him to return home. He was now thrown upon his own
resources for acquiring an education, and was obliged to assist in the
support of his father and family. He afterward read law with W. J.
Thomas, of Troy, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar. He immediately came
to Indiana, settled in New Albany in 1836, where shortly after his
arrival he commenced the practice of law. As a counselor and jurist,
few men can claim a higher record; he was constantly engaged in his
profession for a period of over forty years, and never prosecuted a
man, nor allowed himself to be engaged to prosecute. He probably
defended more men for high crimes and misdemeanors than any other man
in the State, and was almost invariably successful. He was the first
city clerk of New Albany, having been elected in 1839, and was
chosen city attorney in 1846. In 1841 he was elected to the State
Legislature for the first time, and later served his county repeatedly
in both branches, about twenty years in all. He was elected without
opposition, in 1876, judge of the criminal and civil courts of Floyd
and Clark counties, an office he did not seek, and only accepted at the
earnest solicitation of friends. Judge Davis was an ardent Whig until
that party ceased to exist. He was violently opposed to “Know
Nothingism,” and for a long time stood aloof from parties, but finally
united with the Democracy. In 1843 he was the Whig candidate for
Congress against Thomas J. Henley, Democrat, and in a district
overwhelmingly Democratic was defeated by only thirty-seven votes. He
was presidential elector for President Taylor; and in 1852 was a member
of the National Convention that nominated General Scott for President.
In 1860 Judge Davis was independent candidate for Congress against
James A. Cravens, Democratic nominee, and was defeated by a very small
majority. He was a warm supporter of the war for the Union, and had two
sons in the war. The younger, John S., rose to the rank of captain, the
other son, William P., to the rank of lieutenant-colonel in the
Twenty-third Indiana Volunteers.
Judge Davis’ death occurred some nine years ago.
born in Floyd county, May 20, 1842, son of Cook
Day and Margaret Hanger. His father is a native of England, coming to
New Albany, with his parents, in 1828, at the age of seven years, his
father being the first extensive pork packer in this city, and he, when
old enough, engaged in the business with his father, Christopher Day,
and subsequently for twenty years freight agent of the New Albany &
Salem (L., N. A. & C.) Railroad, being among the earliest of the
employes of that road.
Margaret (Hanger) Day is the daughter of Frederick Hanger, a soldier of
the War of 1812, and who in 1814 entered 160 acres of land six miles
west of New Albany. She is a native of Floyd county, although her
father was a Pennsylvanian.
John S. Day was reared and educated at New Albany. At the age of 15 he
commenced life for himself as a messenger boy on the L., N. A. & C.
Railroad; he was a good messenger boy and by a series of promotions he
was sent to the front – from one grade to another – until in 1870 he
had reached the position of general superintendent of the “Monon.”
In 1880 he built the Monon branch from Delphi, to Chicago; prior to
this time in 1865, he superintended the building of the J., M. & I.
Railroad between New Albany and Jeffersonville, and was for three years
agent of that line. After the completion of the “Monon” he retired from
In 1868 he was one of the originators and stockholders in the New
Albany Steam Forge – now the New Albany Steam Forge Rolling-mill –
which was first organized with $50,000 capital, and now has $175,000
capital, Mr. Charles Sackett being president.
Mr. Day has also managed extensive lumber interests. He has not however
been engaged in very active business during the last five years.
He was twice elected to the City Council from the second ward, and
distinguished his terms in that body by his vigorous work in favor of
municipal economy and honesty.
In 1884 he was elected to the State Senate from the counties of Floyd
and Washington, and was chairman of the committee on Congressional and
Senatorial Apportionment for the redistricting of the State in 1884.
In the session of 1886 he was chairman of the Committee on Railroads;
was on the Committee on Corporations, on Swamp Lands and Claims. He had
served on all these committees in the session of 1884-5, and on the
Committee on Banks and County and Township Business. He has been an Odd
Fellow since 1862.
In 1866 he was married to Miss Mary A. Hangary, a native of
Pennsylvania. Two sons and a daughter have [been] born of this union;
all are living.
DINKLE was born in Floyd county, Ind., Dec. 14, 1867, and
WILLIAM DINKLE was born March 7, 1862. They are sons of Henry W. and
Malinda (Rue) Dinkle, natives of Germany, who came to America some half
a century ago. They came when sailing vessels were the mode of travel
between the Old World and the New, and were six weeks in making the
voyage. When Mrs. Dinkle’s parents settled in Floyd county, there had
been few improvements made in the face of the country. Hence the
changes that have taken place since then are wonderful in the extreme.
Their children were Lizzie, Malinda, Henry, William, John and Maggie.
They all live in Floyd county. John and William Dinkle were brought up
on their father’s farm, and were educated in the common schools of the
county. The Dinkle boys, as they are familiarly called, are young and
intelligent men, and enterprising farmers. They are considerably
interested in the culture of fruit, and their farm near Edwardsville is
a model of neatness, and contains 38 acres in a high state of
cultivation. They also own 95 acres in Georgetown township. They are
fast accumulating wealth, and are among the most prosperous men of
was born in Floyd county, Ind., on the 23d of
November, 1835, and is a son of James T. and Kitty (Bateman) Duncan,
the former born in Jefferson county, Ky., and the latter in Indiana.
The Duncan family can be traced back to the Duncans of Westmoreland
county, Va. The father of James T. was Charles Duncan, a son of Henry
Duncan, born in Virginia, and whose father, Coleman Duncan, was one of
the pioneers of Kentucky. He was a zealous Whig when that title was
applied to the patriots in contradistinction to the Tories, during our
Revolutionary period. He was a soldier in the war of the Revolution,
and came to Kentucky about 1793. His father, Henry Duncan, was the
first of the family born in American (born 1710, and died in 1790), and
from him descended, directly or indirectly, the Braggs, Asburys,
Browns, Lewises, Whites, Hutts, etc. His parents came from Scotland,
where, as all who are familiar with Scottish history, know the family
was not only one of prominence, but noble, with the blood of kings
coursing in their veins. Duncans have even occupied the throne of
Scotland. The subject of this sketch, Norton B. Duncan, was brought up
on the farm, and received his education in the common schools of the
county. He learned the tanning business, which he followed until 1866,
when he sold out to his brother Charles. He then made a trip west as
far as Iowa, where he remained three years; then returned to Indiana.
Later he removed to Illinois, but still not satisfied he again came
back to Indiana, and accepting the tradition that “a rolling stone
gathers no moss,” he settled down permanently where he now lives. In
April, 1858, he was married to Miss Jennie Garrison, a daughter of
Gamaliel and Priscilla (Daily) Garrison, the former a native New
Jersey, and who came to Indiana in a very early day. He was a surveyor
and did much surveying in Floyd county, and lines and corners
by him are still considered indisputable. Priscilla Daily Garrison’s
family was of English descent. Mr. and Mrs. Duncan have never had any
children, but have raised two children, viz: William B. Hinkley, now
agent of the American Express Company at New Albany, and James Duncan,
from infancy to manhood. Mr. Duncan has 5-1/2 acres of highly improved
land, and upon which he cultivated small fruit. He belongs to the
Masonic fraternity, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
FISHER is a native of Floyd county, Ind., and was born
October 9, 1832. He is a son of Jacob and Jane (Thomas) Fisher, the
former a native of Pennsylvania, but of German descent, and the latter
a native of Virginia. Her family moved from there to Missouri when it
was the frontier of civilization, and there most of them sickened and
died. George W., the subject of this sketch, was raised on a farm, and
educated in the common schools, his education being limited. In 1858 he
was married to Miss Sarah E. Moser, born in 1838 in Floyd county, and a
daughter of John Moser and Mary (Betty) Moser, the latter a native of
Tennessee. She is still living, at the age of 75 years. Se had four
sons in the late Civil War, all of whom are dead, except one. Mr. and
Mrs. Fisher have had five children, viz: Catherine, born in 1859,
married to George Jones, and lives in Texas; Alice M., born in 1861,
and married to John Govern; Georgiana, married to William Capper, and
lives in Edwardsville; Horatio, born September 11, 1866, and died at
the age of five years, and Hattie B., still at home with her parents.
Mr. Fisher enlisted in August, 1862, in Co. A., Eighty-first Indiana
Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the following battles:
Perryville, Edgefield, Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Chickamauga,
Missionary Ridge, Kenesaw Mountain, Buzzard Roost and Atlanta. In 1864
he was transferred to Louisville, Ky., and placed on duty there, taking
men from one point to another. May 26, 1865, he was mustered out of the
service, and honorably discharged.
was born in Clark county, Ind., July 7, 1832, but
was reared in Harrison county. He graduated from the Floyd County
Seminary, at Greenville, where he was an assistant teacher and where he
received a certificate to teach. At the inauguration of the present
school system of Indiana he began to teach, and continued as a teacher
four years. In 1855 he commenced the business of a carpenter and joiner
and house-building contractor, continuing at it till 1862, when he
enlisted as private in Co. C, Sixty-sixth Indiana Infantry. He was in
the battle at Richmond, Ky., with his regiment. He marched with Sherman
to the sea, through Georgia, North and South Carolina, Virginia, and to
Washington City, taking part in all the battles of that memorable and
brilliant campaign, and was honorably mustered out at Washington City
in June, 1865.
Since the war he has been doing noble work for the Grand Army of the
Republic. He organized Sanderson Post, No. 191, at New Albany, and
about twenty Posts in other parts of Indiana. He was senior
vice-department commander in 1886, and is now department inspector. He
was promoted during the war to orderly sergeant and declined a
promotion to a captaincy tendered him. In 1854 he married Miss Nancy
Speake, of Floyd county, Ind., who died in 1857, leaving one child,
which survived but a short time. In 1860 he married Miss Levinia
Sappenfield, of Harrison county, Ind. They have no children. He is the
son of John Fite, a native of Pennsylvania, and Eliza Starr, a native
of Kentucky. They came to
New Albany in 1816, the year Indiana was made a State. The town then
had but three business houses, one of these being the trunk of a large
sycamore tree on the river bank, and there were not to exceed twenty
New Albany, Ind., (Floyd Co) Jan. 3, 1876; son of Emory Low and Ella I.
(Neat) Ford; graduate Princeton University, degree of B.S., 1896;
widower. Began business career as chemist Michigan Alkali Co.,
manufacturers of heavy chemicals, 1896, became purchasing agent and
since 1900 has been secretary and treasurer of the company. Also vice
president J. B. Ford Co., Anderson Forge and Machine Co.; director
Franklin Steamship Co., Fremont Steamship Co., Old Detroit National
Bank. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Masonic order (32º), Knight
Templar. Clubs: Detroit, University, Country, Detroit Boat, Old Club,
Detroit Racquet and Curling, Automobile. Recreations: Yachting and
Automobiling. Office: 814 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 33 E. Kirby Av.
Submitted by Christine Walters Source: "The Book of Detroiters by
Albert Nelson Marquis 1908"
president and general manager Michigan Alkali Co.; born, New Albany,
Ind., (Floyd Co) Oct. 25, 1866; son of Edward and Mittie (Penn) Ford;
educated at Western University of Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh, and Harvard
University, special course and Law School, 1888; married at Sandusky,
O., 1895, Miss Helen Sloane. Began business career as treasurer of the
Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co., Pittsburgh, Pa., 1888, continuing until
1893; came to Wyandotte, Mich., with his grandfather, 1893, and founded
the Michigan Alkali Co., manufacturers of heavy chemicals, with which
he has since been identified; located in Detroit, 1893. President J. B.
Ford Co., Huron Portland Cement Co.; vice president Edward Ford Plate
Glass Co., Toledo, O.; director Old Detroit National Bank, Security
Trust Co., Michigan Savings Bank, etc. Member Board of Commerce.
Republican. Episcopalian. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Automobile, Detroit
Curling and Racquet. Recreations: Automobiling and golf. Office: 814
Majestic Bldg. Residence: 1730 Jefferson Av.
Submitted by Christine Walters Source: "The Book of Detroiters by
Albert Nelson Marquis 1908"
FRISBIE was born at Milltown, Crawford county, Ind., June 21,
1839. He was reared at Milltown until he was seventeen years old, when
he was sent to the Bliss Academy, at New Albany, Ind., where he
completed his education. After his graduation he secured a position as
second clerk on a steamboat on which his brother Junius L. was chief
clerk. He continued as clerk on various steamboats for several years,
running between Louisville and New Orleans. In 1864 he and his brother
Junius L. purchased the steamboat Idaho, which they run in the
Louisville, New Albany and New Orleans trade, selling this boat in
1865. He then quit the river and took the management of the large
business of his father, who had removed from Milltown to New Albany.
His management was so enterprising and well directed that the value of
the large estate was greatly enhanced. He was a careful but public
spirited business man, always distinguished for his genial social
traits, and had hosts of warm personal friends. He was married in 1864,
to Miss Mary L. Thorp, of New Orleans, La. There were born to this
marriage three children: Frank, Sherman and Mary E. He died June 27,
1886. He was a member of the City Council from the Second Ward for two
years. He was the son of Libbeus Frisbie and Martha Matthews. His
father was a prominent and enterprising merchant and farmer of
Milltown, Crawford county, Ind., being one of the earliest settlers
there. He was a native of Connecticut. He was married at New Albany,
Ind., in 1822, his wife being a native of New Jersey, but a resident of
New Albany at the time of their marriage. They were honored in life for
their many excellent traits, and sincerely mourned at their death. Both
died at New Albany.
FULLER was born in Jeffersonville, Ind., February 3,
1832, being a son of Major Charles and Catherine A. (Stewart) Fuller.
His father was a native of Boston, Mass., and came to Indiana as Major
of the Fourth Massachusetts Regiment in 1811, and fought under Maj.
Gen. William Henry Harrison in the battle at Tippecanoe, November 7,
1811. His mother, Catherine Anstey Stewart, was born in Halifax, Nova
Scotia, and was reared in the family of Major General Harrison, and was
one of the wives of officers taken prisoners at the surrender of
General Hull. Her death occurred in 1867. At the close of the War of
1812, Major Fuller and wife were ordered to Pittsfield, Mass., and was
commander there until the post was abandoned, whence they shortly after
returned to Indiana, locating at Jeffersonville, where he died in 1839,
leaving a wife and seven children, of whom the subject of this sketch,
Capt. Richard F. Fuller, was the youngest.
His mother died in Jeffersonville in 1867. Her companions in captivity
at Hull’s surrender were the wife of Captain Bacon and the wife of
Lieut. Col. Gooding.
Captain Fuller received his education in the public schools of Clark
county, and at the age of 19 years commenced his career as a steamboat
clerk on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, which he continued for
twenty-five years. During that period he was clerk on the steamers Alex
Scott, T. C. Twitchell, E. H. Fairchild, in the Louisville and New
Orleans trade, and captain of the steamers Luna, Ida Handy, Luminary
and several others, thus making
him one of the oldest of steamboatmen of the Falls Cities. Leaving the
river he followed clerking in New Albany and at Louisville, and
bookkeeping in both cities, having been Deputy Clerk of the city of New
Albany, and bookkeeper at the Merchants’ National Bank of New Albany,
New Albany Cotton Batting Factory, and filled other equally responsible
Captain Fuller was married in March, 1862, to Miss Dealie E. Bulkeley,
of Louisville, Ky., and five children have blessed the union. Richard
L., foreman in the carding department of the Batting Works; Clarence
B., clerk in the Bank of Commerce, Louisville; Vivian, assistant of his
brother Richard L.; Jamie A. and Hannah B.
GEBHART was born in Maytown, Penn., December 6, 1831, and
worked during boyhood in his father’s weave shop. His parents, John R.
and Susan Young Gebhart, were natives of Pennsylvania. He had few
opportunities for studying books, but improved what he had to the best
advantage. In early manhood he embarked in business, but, like many
others, the investment proved unfortunate, and he was left without
money but plenty of debts. He also, fortunately for himself, his
creditors, and a good many other people, had plenty of grit left.
Like many in similar situations who are resolved to retrieve
misfortunes and achieve success, he turned his eyes to the great and
growing West. He had strong arms, skilled hands, a trust in his God and
the courage to dare to do. These were his capital, and with these he
started out in life. He now had two ambitions in life. In his first
venture he had only future success to stimulate effort, now he had the
incentive to win his way in life, and pay the debts left behind him in
his old home. The task was not easy.
After looking about for a location he selected New Albany on account of
its favorable location. There was no other inducement, for he was,
indeed, a stranger in a strange land. The prospect was gloomy, but
there was firm faith in the future. Work came as it always will to him
who seeks it. There were drawbacks and disappointments. Work was
sometimes very slack and the employment not at all times agreeable, but
he was on the road he had started to find, and he determined to travel
it. On the smooth places he would make all the speed possible, and the
rough ones he would jump over, stumble over, any way to get over, but
he kept going, and he is still going, and the road keeps getting
smoother. But long ago he reached the goal of one ambition. He paid off
every dollar of debt and interest he left behind in Pennsylvania. Mr.
Gebhart has also accumulated a handsome property in New Albany, lives
in and owns one of the many handsome residences in this city of
Here, perhaps, this notice might end, but the steps along which Mr.
Gebhart strode to success, are matters of special interest to his
friends, and of general interest to the citizens of New Albany. The
example of his course is also valuable to the young.
Mr. Gebhart’s first effort in New Albany was to start a woolen mill.
This he accomplished in a small way, during the year 1861, with Mr.
John T. Creed as a partner. The latter soon, however, withdrew to
embark in other business. Mr. Gebhart continued, determined to stick to
the tree he had planted, and succeeded in maintaining and enlarging the
mill so that to-day it is the largest woolen and cotton mill combined
west of the Allegheny mountains, and which New Albany can be, and is,
justly proud of.
Mr. Gebhart did not stop with the woolen and cotton mills, but he
turned his attention to other enterprises that now beautify and adorn
the city, as well as add to its material prosperity. Next to the woolen
and cotton mills stand the New Albany water works as a testimony to his
public spirit. He was among the first to agitate the building of the
works, and his pen contributed numerous articles on the subject to the
columns of the Ledger, advocating their building. It required a great
deal of tact, energy and ability to put the works through, but they
were built, and have no superior in the United States, and to J. F.
Gebhart belongs the honor.
His next idea was a hosiery mill, and this was materialized by the
building on Ekin avenue, by W. A. Hedden & Co., of the largest and
finest mill of the kind in the West.
Besides other and minor enterprises Mr. Gebhart was one of the first
citizens of New Albany who joined as a stockholder and director in the
building of that grand structure, the Kentucky and Indiana bridge, and
lastly, so far, but not least, in the building of the Eastern Railway,
of which he is a director and vice president.
And all this by a man who came among us less than a generation ago,
poor and unknown, and who by his own genius for improvement, his
stability of purpose, has risen to the honorable position in the
business which he now occupies.
was born in Genesee county, town of Stafford, N.Y.,
September 16, 1839, and is a son of Alonzo and Harriet (Waterman)
Godfrey, natives of N.Y. George was but 12 years of age when his
parents removed to Michigan. He received a good practical education,
and to his other qualifications was added telegraphy.
At the age of 21 he came to Indiana as a telegraph operator, and in
1861, on the 8th of July, he came to New Albany as manager of the
Western Union telegraph office. In 1862 he joined the telegraph corps,
and was three months with Gen. Negley’s corps in Tennessee, when he
returned to New Albany and has remained manager of the Western Union
telegraph office of that city. He has always been in telegraph
business. He is a prominent member of the Knights of Honor and Knights
and Ladies of Honor, and has held all the offices in the lodge. In 1886
he was elected grand protector of the Knights and Ladies of Honor of
the State, and re-elected in 1887, and in 1888 he was elected supreme
representative to the Supreme Lodge for four years, which meets every
He is also a member of the Odd Fellows. He was married December 24,
1862, to Miss Emma L. Johnson, daughter of James Johnson, Esq.,
deceased, of New Albany, Ind. They have three children: Harry, Mrs.
Jennie Mathers and Mrs. Carrie Steinhauer.
GWIN was born in New Albany, Ind., October 22, 1837. He
was educated in the public and high schools of the city. During the
administration of President Buchanan, from 1857 till 1861, he was
assistant postmaster of New Albany under his cousin, F. M. Gwin. During
the first year of the war he was in employ of the late Hon. W. C.
DePauw, supplying feed for the Government. In 1862 he engaged in the
livery, sale and feed business with his father, and in 1867 they added
the undertaking business, under the firm name of Merker & Gwin, and
he is still engaged in this consolidated business, with one of the most
extensive plants in the city. He is a man of business energy and his
popularity has won him a very profitable business. He was married in
1860 to Miss Julia Merryman, of
Floyd county, Ind., who died in 1872, leaving no children. He was again
married in 1875 to Miss Carrie C. Warren, of New York. Two children,
Newland and Edith, have been born of this marriage. He is a son of
Berry Gwin, one of the old an dwell known citizens of New Albany.
GWIN was born in Lanesville, Harrison county, Ind., January 28,
1834. When but eight years he came to New Albany with his father’s
family. His education was limited to the common schools, and in 1850,
when but 17 years of age, he left school and took work with a party of
surveyors on the railroad from Lafayette to Michigan City, now a part
of the “Monon Road.” His father died in 1852, was sheriff at the time,
and Josiah went to clerk for Martin H. Ruter. Phineas M. Kent was
appointed postmaster by President Pierce, and Mr. Gwin was selected as
In the fall of 1856 he began his career as a newspaper man, by
accepting the city editorship of the New Albany Ledger, which he
continued until 1860, when he was elected County Recorder. This office
he held by successive elections until 1869. In July, 1871, he founded
the Daily Standard, a paper soon after consolidated with the Ledger,
and Mr. Gwin continued as editor until 1881, when he sold his interest
and retired; but soon entered the journalistic field again, and founded
the Public Press, which paper he still conducts. He will also establish
a daily newspaper at New Albany within a few weeks.
M., merchant, manufacturer, and banker, of New Albany, was
born in Harrison County, Indiana, July 31, 1818, and is one of eight
children of Benjamin and Mary (Woodfield) Hains. His father, who was
born in Dutchess County, New York, in the year made famous by the
signing of the Declaration of Independence, was a farmer, and had
settled in Harrison County in 1815. His estimable wife died when her
son was only five years old. His mother’s death, and other
circumstances peculiar to those primitive times, limited the
educational advantages enjoyed by Mr. Hains in his youth. His father
died when he was seventeen years old, and from that time the young man
was compelled to depend entirely upon his own resources. A year
previous to this he had determined to secure a good education, and in
order to provide himself with the necessary means, he obtained
employment out of school hours in a hotel. This enabled him to acquire
the rudiments of an English education. At the age of eighteen he
apprenticed himself to a firm engaged in the hardware and queensware
business, to learn the trade. He commenced in the capacity of porter,
and by degrees rose to the position of clerk and salesman in the
establishment. At the end of his term of apprenticeship he re-engaged
himself for four years longer at an increased salary. His wages while
an apprentice had been seventy-five, one hundred, and one hundred and
twenty dollars a year, and from this amount he had managed to defray
his expenses and save a little besides. At the expiration of the time
mentioned, determined to follow out his early aspirations for a higher
education, he entered the Wabash College at Crawfordsville, intending
to prepare himself for the ministry. He devoted himself assiduously to
his studies for two years, but his health gave way under the
unaccustomed strain, and he was compelled to abandon his cherished
purpose. He returned to his former business with the firm whose
apprentice he had been, and remained with them two years longer. He now
decided to engage in business for himself, and commenced the
manufacture of tin, sheet-iron, and copper-work, in which he continued
about five years, with such success that at the end of that time he
retired from business. But “inactive industry” did not suit a man of
his peculiar temperament, and he was soon elected president, treasurer,
and general business manager of the New Albany City Gas Company, which
position he held for some twenty years. During part of this time he was
president of the Paoli Bank, Orange County, Indiana; and since 1865 he
has been president of the New Albany National Bank. In 1869 he was made
secretary, treasurer, and business manager of the New Albany Woolen and
Cotton Mills, and he still holds this position. The foregoing gives
some slight idea of the business capacity and untiring energy of Mr.
Hains, as well as the prominent place which he occupies in his
community, representing as he does its material prosperity, and
occupying positions that show the implicit confidence placed in his
integrity. When he had reached thirty-seven years of age, he married
Miss Mary E. Dickey, daughter of Rev. John M. Dickey, a Presbyterian
preacher of note, and one of the oldest pioneer preachers of the state.
Mrs. Hains is a lady of the highest moral worth; her labors in behalf
of every good cause have given her the warm esteem of the Christian
community, and her husband has ever found in her an earnest helper in
all his plans of benevolence. They have had three children, two of whom
are now living. James Brooks Hains, the eldest son and a promising
young man, died soon after he had graduated, with marked honors, at
Wabash College, and while yet a student at the law school at Cambridge.
Mr. Hains connected himself with the Presbyterian Church when only
twenty years of age. He has always been a warm and liberal supporter of
the cause of religion, and his heart and purse have ever been open to
the deserving poor and needy. He has truly been a liberal steward
of the wealth which has been committed to him, and his benevolence has
become almost proverbial in his city. He is now over sixty years old,
and has been identified with almost every enterprise for the material
and moral benefit of the community. In addition to occupying the
positions already mentioned, he is now trustee of Wabash College, the
oldest and best endowed classical college in the state of Indiana. He
is justly entitled to be numbered among the foremost “representative
men” of the state.
HAMMERSMITH was born in Germany November 28, 1852, and came to
America with is parents in 1852, and located at New Albany, Ind., where
he enjoyed the advantages of the public schools until he was fifteen
years old. He then commenced driving a wagon for his father, Charles
Hammersmith, which he continued to do for six years, attending to his
father’s business for two years after his death, which occurred Sept.
8, 1875, his father running five wagons at the time of his death. In
1880 he purchased the wagons and sixteen horses of the heirs in the
estate, and has followed teaming, chiefly between New Albany and
Louisville, ever since, now employing forty head of horses in the
business. He is a splendid illustration of a thorough-going self-made,
pushing business man. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the
I. O. O. F. He was married April 29, 1879, to Miss Minnie Shoaf, of New
Albany. They have three children: Louis, Eva and Charles. Mr. and Mrs.
Hammersmith are members of the German Evangelical Church.
HANGER was born in Floyd county, Ind., December 28,
1825, and is a son of Frederick and Margaret (Cook) Hanger; the former
was a native of Augusta county, Va., and died here in 1872, at the age
of 75 years; the latter was born in Hesse-Darnstadt. Her parents came
to this country soon after the Revolutionary war, and, like many
others, in order to get to Free America, sold themselves for a certain
length of time, to pay their passage to this country. They saved their
money until their servitude was at an end, that they might have
something to begin the world with. Frederick Hanger used to boast that
he had six uncles who came to this country form Switzerland in colonial
times, all of whom served in the Revolutionary war. Martin V., the
subject of this sketch, is essentially a self-made man. His education
has been attained through his own exertions,
and by dint of hard work. His boyhood was spent on the farm and working
in a cooper shop. He attended the schools of the county. These were
quite inferior to the common schools of to-day. They were paid for by
general subscription, according to the number of pupils each patron
sent to school. Mr. Hanger was educated in these schools. At the age of
15 an objection was raised to his attending school, because he gave the
teacher so much trouble, and he was taken away; but he did not
discontinue his studies – he kept them up at home, and by the time he
was 20, he was qualified to teach. His spare money was spent for books,
and he became a good English scholar. He taught about four years in
Floyd county, and in 1857 he moved to Harrison county, and in 1863 was
elected school trustee of Posey township, and re-elected, serving two
terms, after which he was chosen county commissioner for one term. He
then removed back to Floyd county, where he has since resided. He owns
329 acres of fine land, which he has in a fine state of cultivation and
well stocked. His land is situated in both Floyd and Harrison counties;
he resides on that lying in Floyd county, and in sight of his
birthplace. Recently he has erected a fine residence, which he designed
himself, and which has some peculiarities. Each room is finished in a
different style – one in white walnut, one in black walnut, one in wild
cherry; while the hall has a specimen of every kind of wood common in
this section. The design of the house was obtained by Mr. Hanger from a
picture frame he has, which contains 103 kinds of wood, much of which
is historical. For instance, one piece was water oak, from the old brig
Constitution, another from the charter oak, etc.
Mr. Hanger was married in October, 1847, to Miss Sarah Blunk. They have
never had any children; but have raised four boys and one girl, and
educated them. Mr. Hanger is a prominent Mason, and a zealous Christian
and minister of the Gospel. For thirty years he has been a minister of
the Christian Church.
HARRISON was born at Xenia, Ohio, September 29, 1834, and
came with his parents to New Albany, Ind., in 1839. His father, George
H. Harrison, was a native of Harrisonburg, Va., born in February 1809,
died at New Albany in 1854. He graduated from Augusta College, Ky., was
a teacher of rare ability, and came to New Albany to take charge of a
Methodist Seminary that had been located here by the Indiana Conference
of the Methodist Church. The greater part of his life was devoted to
teaching, though he served as Postmaster under the administrations of
Taylor and Fillmore – 1849-1853. His wife, Sarah P. Grover, was a
native of Greene county, Ohio, born in 1810, and died at New Albany in
1873, aged 63 years.
James G. Harrison, son of this worthy couple, was educated in the
schools of New Albany, graduating from its high school. During his
father’s four years’ term as Postmaster he was his deputy. At the
conclusion of his post office service, he entered the office of Dr.
William Cooper, for the purpose of studying medicine, but, his father
dying a year later, he had to give up his studies. He then was elected
Recorder of Floyd county as the Republican nominee, serving a term of
four years. In 1862 he was appointed Deputy Postmaster by Hon. John M.
Wilson, where he served one year, and was then appointed Assistant
Revenue Assessor for the New Albany Division by Assessor Thomas C.
Slaughter, serving until that office was abolished. He was then
appointed Deputy United States Clerk and United States Commissioner for
the Federal Court of New Albany, still holding both these offices. He
is also a trustee of the city schools and secretary of the board, a
trustee of the DePauw
College for Young Women, a member and officer of the I. O. O. F., a
member and officer of the Wesley M. E. Church, and has for fifteen
years been engaged in the insurance business.
On the 24th of May, 1856, he was married to Miss Hester A. Hart,
daughter of late ex-mayor William Hart, of New Albany. He has three
children – George W., James B. and Walter G.
HEDDEN was born September 5, 1802, in Newark, N.J., and is a son
of Stephen and Sallie (Peck) Hedden, natives of that State. The former
came to Indiana and settled in Floyd county in 1829, near Greenville,
where he bought 300 acres of land, on which he farmed. Being a
blacksmith, he moved to New Albany after some years spent in farming.
The latter, Sallie Peck Hedden, was a daughter of Judge Peck, of New
Jersey, a man of considerable prominence. David Hedden, the subject of
this sketch, was brought up in New Jersey, and educated in the common
schools. He came to Floyd county in 1820, a year before his father
moved out, being then but eighteen years of age, and commenced clerking
in a store, which he continued for a year, when he entered into
partnership with Elias Ayers in the same business.
The partnership continued until 1842, when Ayers died, and he continued
alone in the business three years longer, when his health having failed
he retired from active business. He bought a mill, however, but in a
short time it was burned. He bought another and took charge of it, and
continued to operate it until 1856. He then built a $10,000 residence
and retired from active business altogether.
He was married in 1840 to Elizabeth Wood, a daughter of Rev. Joseph
Wood, of Brown county, N.Y., and Betsy (White) Wood, of Stanford, Conn.
They have seven children, viz: Theodosia, William A., proprietor of
Hosiery Mills; Francis, Sarah S. (Baird), Walter David, in brick
business; Anna W. (Green), Grace and Ella Hardy. Mr. Hedden is a member
of the Presbyterian Church and a Republican.
HEGEWALD, born in Saxony, September 18, 1832, came to America in
1853, and in 1854 made his home in New Albany. He served a seven years’
apprenticeship in his native country as a machinist, and for some time
worked as a journeyman in that country to secure the means to come to
the United States.
On his arrival in New Albany he went to work in the machine shops of
the Louisville, New Albany & Chicago Railroad, where he remained
until a strike was inaugurated, when he took a place in the Union
foundry, remaining there until it failed in 1856; when for two years he
held a place in the American Foundry, going thence to the machine shops
of Lent, South & Shipman, where he remained until the war broke
out. He then returned to the American Foundry as foreman.
In 1873 he entered into a co-partnership with the late W. C. DePauw, in
the foundry and machine business, at his present location, the firm
continuing until 1878, when Mr. N. T. DePauw purchased his father’s
interest and continues a member of the firm, which is the most
enterprising and has the largest business of any establishment of its
kind in New Albany.
The building covers a half square of ground on Water street, between
Pearl and Bank, and the firm, of which Mr. Hegewald is the energetic
superintendent and business manager,
employs from 75 to 200 men, according to the demands of trade upon
them, and does a business of about $200,000 per year, manufacturing
marine and stationary engines, all kinds of steamboat and mill
machinery and supplies, brass and iron castings and other machinery.
Mr. Hegewald is one of the self-made, successful and public-spirited
men of New Albany. He takes a deep interest in all enterprises that
promise to advance the material interests of New Albany, and has done
much to help the prosperity of that city.
He served one term as a member of the City Council, declining a
re-election. He is in all regards a valuable and excellent citizen.
He was married in New Albany, in 1855, to Miss Catherine Meyer, and
they have four children: Emma, John F. C., Arthur and Edwin; John F. C.
being a graduate of the West Point Military Academy and a resident of
Louisville. Arthur and Edwin are employed in the foundry and machine
shops with their father.
HEIMBERGER, born in Germany, January 17, 1833, emigrated to the
United States in 1852, settling in Ohio, where he learned the business
of photography, and having an artistic aptitude for the business soon
rose to high distinction as an artist and now holds rank amongst the
best photographers in the country.
He took up his residence in New Albany in 1859, where he speedily built
up a large business, his gallery being one of the most attractive in
the State both in construction and the artistic gems it contains. Mr.
Heimberger was the first of American photographers to discover and
apply the superior Plate Glass Light, which is applied in his gallery.
As the result of the superiority of his appliances and pictures he is
now filling orders for citizens of, not only Indiana, but of Kentucky,
Ohio, Illinois and Missouri. Few American photographers may hope to
reach such perfection in artistic results and liberal patronage.
In 1859, at Cincinnati, O., Mr. Heimberger was married to Miss Margaret
Berst, daughter of Jacob Berst, native of Germany, who came to American
in 1847 and located in Harrison county, where he died in 1885, at the
age of 72. His daughter Margaret was reared by her uncle, John Nockle,
a prominent butcher and grocer of Cincinnati, where her marriage took
place. The children born of the happy union are: Adam, Sadie and Bena,
Adam Heimberger, the son, is a partner in photography with is father,
and, like him, a born artist.
Christopher Heimberger is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the
Ancient Order of Workmen, and an active member of the German
Evangelical church, his entire family being members of this church. He
is a self-made man, and no man has done more by his art to illustrate
and perpetuate the magnificent scenery of the Central Ohio Valley.
SR., a native of Europe, was born July 20, 1831, and
came to the United States in July, 1848, locating at New Albany, Ind.
He learned the trade of a house carpenter and builder in the old
country, and engaged at his trade on locating at New Albany, carrying
it on until 1853. He then accepted a position in the L., N.A. & C.
Railroad shops, working there until 1868, when he took charge, as
superintendent, of the car department, remaining in this position until
1880. In 1881 he engaged in the planing-mill and lumber business at the
corner of East Fifth and Oak streets, New Albany, on a lot
covering 180 by 130 feet. Besides his large planing-mill business, he
is a dealer in all kinds of building and construction lumber, shingles,
lath, doors, sash and blinds. By his liberal enterprise he has built up
a very large trade, which he has fairly won by his integrity. He was
married May 2, 1853, to Miss Margaret Ellmancer, of Harrison county,
Ind., and has six living children – George, Charles, Edward, William,
August and Emma. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows
and has passed all the chairs (the offices) of that order. He is also a
member of the Knights of Honor.
HENRY, a native of Switzerland county, Ind., was born April
16, 1850. His father, David Henry, was a native of Ireland, and a
lawyer by profession and a successful farmer, and emigrated to Indiana
in the pioneer period of the State. His mother, Caroline Stapp, was a
native of Kentucky.
Reared in Switzerland county, he attended the public schools of the
county during his boyhood, fitting himself for Hanover College, from
which he graduated in 1870.
He then entered the law school of Indiana University, from which
Institution he graduated in 1872. The same year he took up his
residence at New Albany, and entered upon the practice of law, and has,
by his abilities as a counselor and advocate, built up a very lucrative
practice, standing high at the bar as a practicing attorney.
In 1888 Mr. Henry was nominated unanimously by the Democratic party of
Floyd county for Representative in the State Legislature, to which
office he was elected by a large majority.
He is a man of scholarly culture, an able public speaker, and possessed
of the elements for a successful and useful public career.
HESSING was born in Floyd county, Ind., November 27, 1862, and
is a son of Jacob and Henrietta (Schreiver) Hessing; the former a
native of Germany, who emigrated to this country in 1849, and settled
in Louisville, where he remained a short time, when he removed to a
farm in Georgetown township, near Edwardsville, where he spent the
remainder of his life, dying December 10, 1883. The log house is still
standing on the farm that was on it when he bought it, which was
scarcely a farm then at all but a tract of woodland. But by patient
industry and energy he improved it, and made the wilderness,
figuratively, “rejoice and blossom as the rose.” Here he and his good
wife reared their large family of children, and here he lived out the
measure of his days and passed to his reward.
Henrietta (Schreiver) Hessing, the mother of subject, was born in
Germany in 1834, came to America in 1849, and in three years married
Mr. Hessing. She was the mother of eleven children, viz: William H.,
Henry J., Sophia, Mary C., Jacob, Lizzie, Nettie, Amanda, Carrie, Anna
and Edward; all living in Floyd county. William lives in Georgetown
township; Mary married Edward Perry, and lives in New Albany; Amanda
married William Schreiber, and lives in Lafayette township; the others
are still at the old homestead with their mother; Henry, the only son
of those at home, being married.
The subject of this sketch, Jacob Hessing, was reared on the farm and
educated in the common schools of the county. He has always followed
farming, and is one of Floyd county’s most energetic and enterprising
young farmers. He and his brother, who farms
with him, make a specialty of small fruits, such as strawberries,
grapes, etc. Everything about the farm indicates prosperity.
HIPPLE was born at New Albany, Ind., Sept. 22, 1850. He was
educated in the public schools of the city until the age of 18 years,
when he engaged with his father, a steamboat cabin builder, to learn
the carpenter trade, continuing until his father went out of the
He was deputy wharf master under his father from 1875 to 1878, and
after this engaged in teaming, during which occupation he invented what
is known as the Graff and Hipple Dump Wagon, which is now in use in
many of the States, and is a very valuable invention, that with proper
capital could be brought into general use throughout the entire
country. At New Albany it is used by all the principal coal and brick
dealers; and the city, as well as at Cincinnati and Louisville and
Jeffersonville, and by the Government at its depot in the latter city;
and its inventor has testimonials from all who have used it as to its
efficiency in equalizing and dumping a load.
In 1885 he was elected City Marshal of New Albany, and re-elected in
1887. In the Primary Democratic Convention that nominated him in 1885,
his majority over the highest man of the opponents was 356, and at the
election it was 1,050. His majority at his second election was 1,676.
He is a self-made and self-respecting man, and has built himself up by
his own indomitable energy and untiring industry.
On January 5, 1881, he was married to Miss Jennie [Eanes], of Floyd
county, Ind., daughter of George H. [Eanes], formerly of Virginia. He
has one child, Frances D., born on Sept. 22, the same date of the birth
of her father. He is a member of the Knights of Honor and of the
Knights of Pythias, and is a Methodist by education and rearing.
He is a son of Daniel and Artemesia (Lightner) Hipple. His father was a
native of the borough of Landerburg, Cumberland county, Pa., born Feb.
3, 1812; and his mother of Clark county, Ind., born Oct. 22, 1818; and
they located at New Albany in 1835. His father engaged in steamboat
building, which he followed for a number of years. He was elected
jailor under Sheriff Thomas Gwin, serving four years, from 1848 to
1852. He died March 17, 1878, leaving a wife and six children, George
M., John W., Jacob L., Louis C., Carrie B. and Eliza E., all of whom
are living. Mr. Hipple’s mother came to New Albany in 1829, and married
May 1, 1836.
HOWK, one of the ex-judges of the Supreme Court of Indiana,
and a resident of New Albany, was born in Charlestown, Clark county,
Indiana, September 21, 1824 and is the only surviving son of Isaac
Howk, one of the pioneer lawyers of the State. The Howk family are of
German origin, but settled in Massachusetts early in the last century
and engaged chiefly in agriculture. Isaac Howk, the father of the
subject of this sketch, was born on a farm in Berkshire county,
Massachusetts, in July, 1793, and was educated at Williams College in
that county. In 1817 he settled in Charlestown, Ind., and engaged in
the practice of his profession. In 1820 he married Miss Elvira Vail, a
daughter of Doctor Gamaliel Vail, who had emigrated from Vermont to
Indiana Territory in 1806. Their son George V. Howk grew to manhood in
Charlestown. His father died in 1833, but his mother devoted the
remainder of a long life to the education, comfort and happiness of her
children. She died in New Albany, Ind., September 15, 1869. Judge Howk
graduated from Indiana Asbury (now DePauw College) in the class of 1846
under the Presidency of Matthew Simpson, widely known as one of the
Bishops of the Methodist Church. Some of his classmates were Newton
Booth, ex-United States Senator from California; James P. Luce, James
M. Reynolds and Joseph Tingley, one of the Professors of the College.
He studied law with Judge Charles Dewey, who was for ten years a judge
of the Supreme Court and one of the ablest jurists the State has
produced. He was admitted to the bar in 1847, and settled in New
Albany. December 21, 1848, he married Miss Eleanor Dewey, late of
Charlestown. Mrs. Howk died April 12, 1853, leaving two children.
September 5, 1854, he married Miss Jane Simonson, eldest daughter of
General John S. Simonson of the United States Army, who still survives.
They have two children, John S. and George V. Howk, Jr., and one
daughter, Jane S. In 1852 and 1853 Judge Howk was City Judge of New
Albany, and from 1850 to 1864, during most of the time, was a member of
the City Council. In 1857 he was Judge of the Court of Common Pleas of
Floyd county; in 1863 he represented that county in the House, and from
1866 to 1870 he represented Floyd and Clark counties in the Senate of
Indiana. He was chosen one of the Supreme Judges of Indiana at the
General State Election in October, 1876. Soon after taking his position
on the bench, he gave promise of the great ability he has since
displayed. His decisions are clear, concise and conclusive, taking rank
with those of the ablest jurists of the State, and his suavity of
manner toward all with whom he came in contact officially made him very
popular with the attorneys practicing at the bar of the Supreme Court.
He was re-elected Judge in 1882 and defeated in 1888. In politics Judge
Howk is a Democrat. His mother was a Methodist, and he was educated in
a Methodist College, but is not a member of any religious denomination.
His wife and children are Presbyterians.
Since the election he has established himself at New Albany in the
practice of law, with his son as partner.
HUMPHREYS, deceased, was born in Philadelphia, July 17,
1807, and died at New Albany, Ind., January 19, 1881, aged 73 years old
and 6 months. In February, 1830, he took up his residence at New
Albany, Ind., where he continued to reside to the day of his death.
He was twice married, the first time to Miss Dowerman and the second
time to Miss Elizabeth Hangary. [His first wife lived but two years.]
During his entire residence at New Albany, Capt. Thomas Humphreys was
not only a good but a useful citizen.
For many years he was the head of the steamboat building firm of
Dowerman & Humphreys; his business sagacity and unimpeachable
integrity giving to the firm a reputation as one of the first and most
reliable boat building firms in the West. Every steamboatman knows that
Capt. Humphreys’ word was as good as his bond, and the statements he
made then in relation to contracts were taken as established facts. It
was his integrity that did more than other single agency to give to New
Albany the high fame the city once enjoyed as the most notable boat
building locality on the western rivers. From the establishment with
which he was connected was turned out many of the most magnificent
steamers that have navigated the rivers of the West and South.
Running through his entire life, like a line of polished brightness,
was the principle of integrity. It characterized every act of his life,
and made for him friends of everyone with whom he came in business or
His morals were most exemplary, and his influence was wielded in favor
of all movements that were for the advancement and elevation of his
fellow-men. Yet he was modest and unobtrusive, and, while a man of
strong convictions, never tired to force his views upon others,
choosing rather the principles he advocated should illustrate and shine
forth through his daily walk and conversation. He thus filled the
measure of good citizenship.
For several months before his death he gave much thought to religion
and preparation for the change he knew was speedily to come. In his
inquiries for light upon this important subject, he took counsel of
such men as Rev. J. S. Wood and Peter R. Stoy, and when the messenger’s
summons came to him he was ready to depart in peace, his last days
being full of light and joy.
He left a wife, one son and two daughters, Mrs. S. M. Weir and Mrs. Dr.
G. H. Cannon being the daughters. The surviving son is Mr. Daniel
JENKS was born in Providence, R. I., in the year 1817, son
of George B. R. Jenks, whose ancestors were of English origin.
Subject’s mother, Aljaha Newman, was a daughter of Nathaniel Newman,
who was born in Massachusetts.
Subject was married in Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1840, to Miss Hope
Graves, daughter of Zepheniah Graves, who was a native of Rhode Island.
Mr. Jenks emigrated from his native State to Ohio in 1829, thence to
Indiana in about 1848. Subject and wife have raised eight children; all
lived to be grown: Amanda, George, Oscar, Zepheniah, Benjamin, Job W.,
Julia and Frank.
Our subject followed carpentering for some time, then clerked for a
time. Was in United States service some three years during the late
civil war. Four of his sons, George, Oscar, Zepheniah and Benjamin were
in the service with him.
He has filled some positions of profit and trust, but has never been an
JEWETT, lawyer, New Albany, Ind., was born October 6, 1848,
in Hanover, Ind., being the only son of Jonathan and Mary (Wells) Reid.
His father died when the boy was an infant, and his mother married
Judge P. H. Jewett, who adopted him as a son, and by legal process had
his name changed to Jewett. At the age of fifteen he entered the State
University, at Bloomington, where he remained until 1866, when he was
admitted to the College at Hanover, and studied for one year. His
health failing, he left school, and moved to Montana Territory, where
he was successively prospector, gold miner, and Government surveyor. In
the latter capacity he surveyed all the lands lying near the headwaters
of the Missouri river. These two years of pioneer life restored his
health and secured for him a physical stamina and development, as well
as a fund of experience. Returning to his native State in 1869, he
prepared to enter upon the profession to which he had directed all his
studies, and toward which his efforts were now bent. He was admitted to
the bar at New Albany, October 6, of the same year; immediately
commenced practice. October 16, 1869, he was chosen Justice of the
Peace, but he resigned within one year. In 1871 he was appointed Deputy
Prosecuting Attorney of Scott county, and in 1872 was elected District
Attorney for the district composed of Scott, Clark, Floyd, Washington
and Harrison counties. In March, 1873, he was appointed by Governor
Hendricks Prosecutor for
the Fifth Judicial Circuit, and in October of that year was elected to
the same office for a full term. He was re-elected in 1874, and
continued to hold the position until October 22, 1877. In 1878 he was
Democratic candidate for Judge of the Fifth Circuit. Mr. Jewett is one
of the acknowledged leaders of the Democratic party in Indiana, having
been a member of the State Central Committee in 1876, Speaker of the
House in session of 1884-5, chairman of County Central Committee and
was the chairman of Democratic State Central Committee in Cleveland and
Harrison campaign. He is an organizer of rare ability and tact, and an
JOHNSON, born near Holland Patent, Lewis county, New
York, June 23, 1836. His parents were both natives of New York, but the
family is of English origin. His father, Horace Johnson, was a farmer
and served as probate judge. His mother was Eliza Pratt. Mr. Johnson
was reared in New York and educated at Lowville and Rome Academies,
graduating from the latter after a four years’ course, in 1851. In 1853
he located at New Albany, engaging as a clerk in the hardware store of
Brooks & Brown, Brooks at the time being president of the New
Albany & Salem (L., N. A. & C.) Railroad. In 1855 he became a
partner with J. J. Brown and John E. Crane in the business, continuing
3 years. At the breaking out of the war he engaged in the nursery
business, which he continued till 1876. In 1872 he was appointed by
President Grant, on the nomination of Gov. Morton of Indiana,
commissioner of the Philadelphia National Centennial, serving five
years. In 1874 he was elected to the State Senate on the Democratic
ticket for four years, and was chairman of the Committees on the State
Reformatory and Benevolent Institutions. He drafted the bill making
Mrs. T. A. Hendricks, Mrs. Roache and Mrs. Coffin trustees of the
Women’s Reformatory of Indiana. In 1878 he was appointed by President
Hayes, to the Paris Exposition, and there served on the International
Jury. He was appointed by Gov. Williams of Indiana a member of the
International Congress that assembled in the Palace Crocadero, Paris,
being the only member from the United States, being a member with the
Prince of Wales, who represented Great Britain. For ten years he was a
member of the State Board of Agriculture from this District. In 1880
Mr. Johnson went to Colorado and engaged in the practice of law with
his cousin, Stephen R. Pratt, and in 1882 was nominated a candidate for
Secretary of State. He returned to New Albany in 1886, but while in
Colorado organized the First National Bank at Gunnison, in which he is
one of the largest stockholders. He served two terms as a member of the
City Council from the first ward. In February, 1859, he was married to
Mary E. Murray, a native of Breckinridge county, Ky., and sister of
ex-Gov. Eli H. Murray, of Utah, and a lady of rare accomplishments.
Three children were born of the marriage – Frank H. and Albert S., both
residents of Denver, Colo., and Eliza. Mr. Johnson owns about 150 lots
in New Albany, and a fine farm in Clarke county, between New Albany and
KEPLEY, born near Greenville, Floyd county, Ind., October 27,
1818. His parents were Andrew and Mary (Moser) Kepley, his father being
a farmer and a mechanic. Mr. Kepley was reared upon his father’s farm,
and educated in the common schools of the county, remaining upon a farm
until he was 28 years old, when he removed to the city of New Albany
and engaged in the grocery business, which he continued for some years.
was twice elected county treasurer of Floyd county, and held the office
for four years. He has also served several terms as a member of the
City Council of New Albany, and is at present a member of that body. At
the end of his term as county treasurer, Mr. Kepley entered into the
livery business, on State street, opposite the court house, and is at
present engaged in that business. In all the official stations he has
been called to fill, he has discharged his duties with fidelity to the
interest of the people and with honor to himself.
He was married in 1842, to Miss Mary M. Cook, daughter of Philip Cook,
of Floyd county. Of this marriage nine children were born, all of whom
received collegiate educations, and all of whom have married; David M.,
Nancy I., John L., Mary E., Sarah, Anna B., Martha E., Charles A. and
KERR, MICHAEL C., was born at
Titusville, Pennsylvania, March 15, 1827. He received an academic
education, and graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Laws at the
Louisville University in 1851. He was an ardent and indefatigable
student from an early age until the close of his life. His attainments
in the broad fields of general knowledge were more than ordinary, while
in the branches more directly allied to his public duties, such as
political economy, the science of government, parliamentary law, etc.,
his acquirements were extensive and duly acknowledged by his
contemporaries. He taught school for sometime in Kentucky, and settled
in New Albany, Indiana, where he afterwards permanently resided. He
began the practice of law in New Albany in 1852, was elected city
attorney in 1854, and prosecuting attorney of Floyd County in 1855; was
a member of the state Legislature in 1856 and 1857; was elected
reporter of the Supreme Court of Indiana in 1862, and during his term
of office edited five volumes of reports; was elected a Representative
to the Thirty-ninth, Fortieth, Forty-first, and Forty-second Congress;
was the Democratic candidate at large for Representative to the
Forty-third Congress, but was defeated by the small majority of one
hundred and sixty-two votes; he was elected in 1874 to the Forty-fourth
Congress by a majority of thirteen hundred and nine. But the crowning
honor of his public career was his election to the speakership of the
House of Representatives, at its organization in 1875. Mr. Kerr made an
able and impartial presiding officer, and commanded the undivided
respect of all parties. For sometime previous to his election to the
speakership his health had begun to fail, from the insidious progress
of a serious pulmonary affection, which was quickened to action by the
arduous duties of his office, forcing him, before the close of the
first session, to seek relief from his toils and sufferings by a
sojourn among the mountains of Virginia. But the disease had gained too
much headway, and his death took place on the 19th of August, 1876, at
the Alum Springs, in Rockbridge County, Virginia. His noble qualities
of heart and mind endeared him to a large circle of acquaintances and
friends. His death was regretted by the whole country.
KISTNER was born in Louisville, December 5, 1856, and is a
son of Joseph and Caroline (Falk) Kistner, natives of Germany, but who
came to New Albany in 1857. His father has been in the clothing
business ever since his arrival in this country, and is an active and
energetic business man.
The subject graduated in commercial school, and engaged in the clothing
business with his father until 1884, when he entered into partnership
with Mr. Paul Reising in the brewery business, and has given his full
attention to it ever since.
In 1881 he was married to Miss Mary Reising.
Mr. Kistner is the Fifth Ward Committeeman on the Democratic County
KRAFT, a native of France, was born in November, 1827, came to
America in 1845, and located at New Albany. He immediately engaged at
his trade, that of chair-making, and, being a fine workman and very
genial and social, he made friends rapidly, and soon built up a most
prosperous business. He was a man of enterprise as well as industry,
and on April 21, 1856, added the furniture and undertaking business to
his chair manufactory. This business he prosecuted successful till his
death, which occurred May 25, 1881, at the age of 54 years. He left a
wife and five children – Frank A., Joseph H., Catherine, Ida M. and
Mamie, Catherine dying June 14, 1885. Being very popular and well liked
by all, he was frequently solicited to run for office. This he
constantly refused to do. He was a member of several benevolent
societies, being treasurer of one for eighteen years. He was also
treasurer of several others. He was a strict member of the Catholic
Church, and having a fine tenor voice, took great interest in the
church choirs and other vocal organizations. He was married in 1852 to
Mary E. Terstegge, of New Albany, a cousin of Mr. J. J. Terstegge, the
founder of the National Stove Works of New Albany. Frank A. Kraft, his
oldest son, was born at New Albany, Ind., Feb. 9, 1854, and was
educated in the parochial and public schools and the New Albany
Business College. He succeeded his father to the very large business
left at his death, and this, by his energy, enterprise and popularity,
he has very largely expanded. He is a member of the Catholic Church. On
Oct. 28, 1879, he was married to Miss Minnie Ruppert, of New Albany.
They have three children living – Bertha, George A. and Lula May.
LEGG, a native of London, England, was born September 9, 1833.
He is a plate glass worker, and was foreman of the casting department
of the Thames Plate Glass Works, of London, England, for twenty years.
While thus employed he was engaged by Capt. John B. Ford to come to New
Albany, Ind., and take charge, as foreman, of the casting department in
the immense plate glass works now owned and operated by the W. C.
DePauw Company – the DePauw American Plate Glass Works. He left London
and came to New Albany in 1872, and remained until 1874, when he
returned to London for his family, returning with them. His family
consisted of his wife and six children – John, Walter J., Edward,
Henry, Elizabeth and Emma. He also brought over with him several
skilled plate glass workers and their families, to be employed in the
New Albany Plate Glass Works. Mr. Legg brought the box coal furnace to
New Albany, and carried the first Dinas brick from Wales to New Albany,
this brick being used for the caps of glass furnaces. They are now used
everywhere in glass furnaces. He was married in December, 1857, to Miss
Caroline Price, of London, England. He is a member of DePauw Masonic
Lodge, and when but 21 years old joined the Duke of Brunswick Lodge,
London, and is still a member in good standing. He visited this lodge
while in London in 1888. He is also a member of the Knights of Honor
and of the Knights and Ladies of Honor. He has filled the Master’s,
Senior and Junior Deacons’ chairs in DePauw Masonic Lodge, at New
Albany. He continues as foreman of the casting department of the W. C.
DePauw Company – the DePauw American Glass Works.
LIGHTNER, born at St. Louis, Mo., February 9, 1827. His
parents located in New Albany, Ind., when he was seven years old, where
he was educated in the common schools. After leaving school he learned
blacksmithing with his father.
In 1845 he went on the river to learn steamboat engineering, and this
business he continued until 1865. The first boat he was on was the
Greenwood, running in the New Orleans and Yazoo river trade. Quitting
the river in 1865, he engaged in the barrel, stave and shingle
manufacture in Clark county, Ind., doing a large business.
In 1873 he returned to New Albany and took the position of chief
engineer at the New Albany Woolen and Cotton Mills, which he still
fills, being in all respects a first-class engineer.
In 1854 he was married to Miss Adkinson, of New Albany, a native of
Nashville, Tenn. They have no children.
He has been a member of the I. O. O. F., both the Subordinate Lodge and
the Encampment, since 1853. Both he and his wife are members of the M.
His father was Jacob Lightner, a native of Pennsylvania; and his mother
was Eleanor Brown, a native of Kentucky. His father, who was a soldier
of the War of 1812, died at New Albany, 1847. His mother died in 1884,
age 83. They left five children, all now living: Artemesia, widow of
Daniel Hipple, resides at Memphis, Tenn.; George W. married at
Evansville, Ind.; Elizabeth, wife of Peter Mann, on a farm near New
Albany; William G., residing on a farm near New Albany; Laura B., wife
of W. B. Smith, of New Albany.
LOESCH, a native of Floyd county, Ind., was born June 4, 1844,
five miles west of New Albany. His father, John Loesch, was a native of
Prussia, and came to Floyd county
in 1843. His mother, Catharine Fox, was a native of Germany. The
subject of this sketch remained upon his father’s farm until he was
eighteen years old, when he was apprenticed and served three years at
blacksmithing, at the end of which time he entered upon his trade at
Georgetown, conducting the business from 1867 to 1880. During the war
he tried to enlist in the army, but was rejected on account of his bad
health. In 1880 he was appointed Deputy Sheriff by Sheriff H. R. W.
Meyer, serving through the two terms of that officer. In 1884 he was
elected Sheriff, and was re-elected in 1886. The county of Floyd never
had a more upright, energetic or faithful officer, as his eight years
in the public service attests. In November, 1873, he was united in
marriage to Miss Margaret J. Knittle, of Floyd county, but a native of
Harrison county, Ind., and daughter of Samuel Knittle, a native of
Pennsylvania. One child has been born of this marriage – Agatha
Catharine. Mr. Loesch is a decided Democrat in politics, and in
religion a member of the Catholic Church.
LYONS, a native of Warrensburg, Warren county, N.Y., was born
March 15, 1856, but when quite small his parents removed to New York
City, where they remained one year and then located at Sharpsburg, Pa.,
five miles from Pittsburgh, where they resided three years. Not
satisfied with the location after a three years’ residence, they
removed to Kentucky, and thence to New Albany, Ind.
John J. Lyons attended the public schools in which he was educated.
After coming to New Albany he worked eleven years in the rolling mills.
In 1879 he went to Jefferson county, Kentucky, and engaged in the
grocery business. Being an energetic and pushing business man he
prospered, but in 1881 sold out and returned to New Albany, where, with
John Russell as partner, he engaged in the hotel, livery and feed
business, keeping the West End Hotel, at the corner of West Main and
Mr. Lyons is a very popular man and thorough in business methods as
well as public-spirited.
He was married in August, 1878, to Miss Malissa Martin, of Jefferson
county, Ky., and they have three children – Mary, Catherine and Emily.
He is a member of the Catholic Knights of America, the Ancient Order of
Hibernians, and the Catholic Church. His parents, Michael and Mary
Lyons, were both natives of County Cork, Ireland. His father died when
he was a child. His mother married again to Edward Dumphy. She died at
New Albany in September, 1884.
Source: BIOGRAPHICAL AND
HISTORICAL SOUVENIR for the Counties of CLARK, CRAWFORD, HARRISON,
FLOYD, JEFFERSON, JENNINGS, SCOTT AND WASHINGTON, INDIANA. ILLUSTRATED.
Compiled and Published by John M. Gresham & Company, Chicago,
Chicago Printing Company, 1889.