ORGANIZATION OF GIBSON COUNTY.Prior to the organization of Gibson County, its territory was a part of the county of Knox. The civil history of the county of Gibson properly dates from the 9th of March, 1813. the day upon which the act for the organization of the county was approved by the territorial legislature of Indiana. Since the date of the organization of the county, portions of its territory, at different times, have been taken off, and have assisted in forming the counties of Posey, Vanderburgh, Pike and Warrick. The present area of the county consists of 490 square miles. The population of the county in 1890 numbered 24,920 Souls. There are now (1896) probably 30,000 people in the county. The county was given the name of Gibson in honor of Gen. John Gibson, a brave and gallant soldier of the French and Indian and Revolutionary wars. He was also Secretary of the Territory of Indiana from 1800 until the admission of Indiana into the Union as a State, in 1816.
Source: HISTORY OF GIBSON COUNTY Indiana by Elia Wilkerson Peattie