Greene County is
divided into 15
Civil Townships as follows:
Beech Creek, Cass, Center, Fairplay, Grant,
Highland, Jackson, Jefferson, Richland, Smith, Stafford, Stockton,
Taylor, Washington and Wright.
Greene County was established on February 5, 1821,
land and Sullivan County. County seat is Bloomfield.
Before that Greene County, with a large portion of the State of
Indiana, belonged to a tribe of Indians called the Piankeshews
Bloomfield has not always been the County Seat. The first County Seat
was located at Burlington.
The locating commissioners had selected this site
March 10, 1821, and
Thomas Bradford, Frederick Shepherd and Zebulon Hogue had donated the
It became necessary to relocate in 1824 for the reason that an adequate
supply of water was not obtainable at this point.
At this time, not a vestige remains of this former County Seat.
Peter C. Van Slyke, a wealthy landowner, offered to donate the land for
the location of a County Seat, which the commissioners accepted, and
Bloomfield came into being.
The first old pioneer settlers in this locality
were, old Isaac Stalcup, Ephraim Owen, John H. Owen, Evan
Owen, John L. Buskirk, Colonel Jack Stokely, James
Jackson,Timothy Jessup, Robert Baber and John
Kelley. Afterwards came William J. McIntosh, Jacob
McIntosh, Moore McIntosh, Samuel Kelshaw, Thomas Osborn, Edward
Buckner, Richard Buckner, David Deem, Rev.
Samuel Meddley, Dr. Simon Snyder, Bailey McCutchan,
Grandfather Baber, George Baber, John Hunter, John
Cloud, William Bland, Jesse
Greene County Memories
Indians of Green County
Obit To This Site
Return To The Main
Indiana Trails Site