William M. Allison.
The mere mention of this name is all that is necessary for an introduction of its owner to the majority of the original Oklahomans, those who came into the territory in 1889. William M. Allison is a real Oklahoma eighty-niner, and left his impress upon many of the early activities of a public nature in the old territory, particularly as one of the republican leaders of those days, and he has been up to 1914 hardly less well known in the republican circles of the state. Mr. Allison is a printer and newspaper man by profession, and is now editor and proprietor of the Signal-Star at Snyder. He is a veteran at the trade, having served his apprenticeship back in Indiana upwards of fifty years ago, when most of the modern facilities of this trade were undreamed of possibilities. He has done yeoman service at the case, and even in handling the old style of hand power press. During his active career he has seen all sorts and conditions of men and has mingled with their varied activities, and is altogether one of the most interesting personalities in his section of the state.
His birth occurred on a farm in Hancock County, Indiana, February 12, 1849, and he comes of old American stock, the Allisons having been transplanted from the north of Ireland to Pennsylvania during the Colonial days. One of his ancestors was Stephen Crane, who served with the rank of lieutenant in the Revolutionary army. His father, Robert Allison, was born at Ripley, Ohio, in 1821, and was killed at a railroad crossing in Snyder, Oklahoma, in April, 1905, at the venerable age of eighty-four. From his birthplace in Ohio he removed when a young man to Rush County, Indiana, later to Hancock County, and in 1853 established his home at Knightstown, Indiana; in 1876 came west to Winfield, Kansas, and in 1892 ventured into the newly organized Territory of Oklahoma as a settler at Chandler, and in 1903 came to Snyder. In his younger years he was a cabinet maker by trade, but spent mature life as a trader and speculator. He made a record as a soldier of the Union during the dark days of the Civil war, having enlisted in Company B of the Sixth Regiment of Indiana Infantry, of which company he served as first lieutenant. Afterward he entered the three years' service with the rank of captain of Company A in the Fifty seventh Indiana Regiment. He was an active republican, was a Knights Templar Mason, and a member of the Presbyterian Church. Captain Allison was married at Dartown, Ohio, to Miss Elizabeth Howard, who was born in Kentucky in 1825 and died at Kokomo, Indiana, in 1850.
The only one of their children who reached maturity William M. Allison finished his education with a high school training at Knightstown, Indiana. His apprenticeship in the printing trade began when he was nineteen years of age, also at Knightstown, and after getting, considerable knowledge of the business worked for one year on the Richmond Radical at Richmond, Indiana. The fall of 1871 found him in Kansas, and he was engaged in his profession at various locations until the opening of Oklahoma Territory to settlement in 1889. On the historic opening day in April of that year he arrived at Guthrie on the first train from the North, and was soon afterwards appointed United States commissioner and held that office until the organization of the territory was completed. In 1891 he was sent to Lincoln County as the first county judge of that newly organized subdivision of the territory and lived at Chandler until his removal to Snyder in May, 1903. On coming to Snyder Judge Allison bought the Signal and soon afterwards bought the Star, and the two were consolidated in September, 1903. The Star had been established in December, 1902, and the Signal in March, 1903. The consolidated paper is now one of the leading journals in Kiowa County, has a large circulation throughout that and surrounding counties, and has always steadily advocated the success of the republican policies and party. Mr. Allison owns the office and the building in which it is situated on Broadway just off Main Street, and he is now giving practically all his time to its successful management.
Of his public service it should be mentioned that he served four years as postmaster at Snyder having been appointed to that office by President Taft. Mr. Allison was one of the original republicans of the original Oklahoma Territory. He presided over the first republican meeting held in Oklahoma and was president of the first republican club ever organized in the territory, known as the Old Pioneer Republican Club of Guthrie. This club was organized in Mr. Allison's office, and he was elected president pro tem and then president. Its influence was a prominent factor in welding the incoherent republican forces in early territorial time, and was often the deciding factor in local politics. Mr. Allison was steadily known as a prominent republican figure in both county and state conventions up to 1914. He presided over the first republican convention held in Lincoln County, and has known practically all the prominent republicans of Oklahoma during the past twenty five years.
Outside of the newspaper business and politics he has probably given most attention to his work in the Masonic Order. He is a past master by service of Snyder Lodge No. 216, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and is a member of Consistory No. 1, Valley of Guthrie, of the thirty-second degree Scottish Rite, and also belongs to the K. C. C. H., which is half way on the progress to the supreme honor of being a thirty-third degree Mason. He is also a member of India Temple of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine at Oklahoma City and was formerly affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Knights of Pythias. He is a member of the Episcopal Church and has long been an active figure in the Oklahoma State Press Association.
In 1875 at Winifield, Kansas, Judge Allison married for his first wife Miss Annie Braidwood, who died in 1892. The two living children of this marriage are: W. O. Allison, who is a graduate of Carver's Chiropractic College at Oklahoma City and is now practicing his profession at Waggoner, Oklahoma; Annie is the wife of Alex G. Willingham, manager of the Massie-Williams Grocery Company at Snyder. In 1906 at Vandalia, Illinois, Mr. Allison married Mrs. Harriet (Kidd) Beach, widow of the late Dr. B. E. Beach of Vandalia and a daughter of a Presbyterian minister of Illinois.
Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma
ALEXANDER J. BAYS.
Alexander J. Bays was born October 25, 1838, in Center township. He had no opportunity to attend school, remaining at home until he was sixteen. He worked for various persons until his first marriage in 1862 to Lucy Ann Talbot, of Ohio, who is now deceased. They had three children, Katie, Fidelia and Robert. He married Levina Bland, of Highland township, a few years later, and they had six children, as follows : Harley, Minnie, Maggie, Orrie, Stella and Ernest. He had five children by his third wife, Annie Bingham. namely : Roscoe, Oscar, Otto, Bert and Don.Mr. Bays enlisted August 22, 1862, in Company C, Ninety-seventh Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry. After drilling at Indianapolis and Terre Haute the regiment was sent into Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi and Georgia, taking part in many battles, including Vicksburg, Missionary Ridge and Kenesaw Mountain. He was seriously wounded by a shell on June 27, 1863, and was sent to a hospital at Rome, Georgia, but rejoined his regiment in three months and was with Sherman on his march to the sea. He was in the grand parade in Washington at the close of the war and was discharged June 26, 1865.
After the war he lived in Highland township, Greene county, Indiana, until 1873, when he moved to Pleasant Ridge, Richland township, where he has since resided. He has conducted a store since 1891, at the same time being engaged in the poultry and farming business, his farm consisting of one hundred and four acres. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic Post at Bloomfield, Indiana, a member of the Methodist church. and votes the Republican ticket.
Alexander J. Bays is the son of Hubbard Bays, a native of North Carolina. He married Martha Bland. They came to Greene county, Indiana, with their parents in an early day, being first settlers in Center township, where he entered eighty acres of land, on which he and his wife remained until their death. They had seven children. namely: Lorenzo, Mordica, Hubbard, Jackson, Eveline. Nellie and Jane. Hubbard Bays lived at home until his marriage, when he moved to Beech Creek township, Greene county, where they lived for many years. They moved to Marshall, Illinois, where both he and his wife lived until their death, raising four children, namely : Alexander J., the subject of this sketch; Sallie, who married Jesse Bland, of Richland township, Greene county; James, who is a farmer in Beech Creek township, Greene county; Martha, who married Chris Bland, of Terre Haute.
President of the Greenfield Banking Company, was born in Clermont county, Ohio, May 19, 1822. His father was an Englishman, and served in the American army in the
war of 1812. Mr. Bradley's opportunities for an education were limited, his time being chiefly employed in helping his father on the farm, and his schooling was restricted to a few months' attendance at the log school-houses of his neighborhood. Mr. B. in early life manifested a taste for and aptness in business pursuits, ant! while yet a boy made frequent visits to the markets at Cincinnati with produce purchased at the farm-houses in the various settlements. In 1852 he visited Indiana, and purchased a small tract of hind on the newly-constructed Bellefontaine railroad, at the site of the present town of McCordsville. In September he located there and opened a store. In 1863 he was elected Treasurer of Hancock county, which position he held for two consecutive terms. In 1866 he moved to Greenfield, and engaged in the grocery business, at which In: continued till 1871. when, with other gentlemen, he established the Greenfield Banking Company, of which he is still president. He is also a partner in the Hancock Flouring Mills, and a stockholder in nearly all the gravel roads centering in Greenfield, Mr. 13. has contributed liberally towards the erection of churches and other public buildings, and has ever manifested a liberal public spin ted disposition. He has been an honored member of the Free and Accepted Masons since 1845, at which time he joined the order in Georgetown, Ohio. He took the Chapter degrees in Felicity. Ohio, in 1848, and the Council and Scottish Rite degrees at Indianapolis at a later date. He assisted in organizing Oakland Lodge, No. 140, and McCordsville Chapter, No. 44, of which he was the first High Priest. He is now a member of Hancock Lodge, No. 101, of which he has been treasurer and trustee for a number of years. He has been a liberal, consistent member of the M. E. Church since 1845, and is now and has been for many years superintendent of the large and prosperous Sunday school in connection therewith. He was first a Whig, but, since the organization of the party, an enthusiastic Republican. He was married September 29, 1844, to Elizabeth Gray, a noble, Christian woman, who
has been his faithful companion, shared his joys and aided in his prosperity for nearly forty years. Mr. B. is of a genial disposition, enjoys a good joke and a hearty laugh, and has a host of warm friends.
Hon.. Morgan Chandler,
cashier of the Greenfield Banking Company, of this city, was born on a farm in Owen county, Kentucky, September 30, 1827. His grandfather was a soldier in the revolution. His early opportunities for education were exceedingly limited, so that at the age of twenty one he could neither read nor write his own name. He now, however, resolved to educate himself, and within eighteen months was teaching school in his own county. This occupation he followed for fifteen months. In 1851 he came to Hancock county, Indiana, and engaged in teaching. In 1854 he engaged as clerk in the store of G. G. Tague at $10. per month. April 22, 1855, he was married to Miss Nancy M. Galbreath, formerly of Kentucky. In the fall of the same year he was elected Sheriff of this county. After the expiration of his term of office, he engaged in farming until 1861. when he was elected Clerk of the Hancock Circuit Court.
which office he held for four years. The summer of 1867-68 he spent in the Western States and Territories, and the winters of the same years in Washington City. In 1869-70 he was engaged in the store of Walker & Edwards. In 1871 he, with four other gentlemen, established the Greenfield Banking Company, of which he is cashier. Referring back to his earlier history, we may remark that at the age of fifteen he united with the Baptist Church, and still leans in that direction. At the age of twenty two he was chosen Lieutenant Colonel of the State troops of his native county. Mr. C. has been a life-long Democrat, an advocate of improvements, and has always taken a lively interest in agricultural pursuits, being President of the District Fair Association, composed of the counties of Rush, Henry and Hancock. Mr. C. is kind and hospitable, and has thereby made an extensive acquaintance. He is also a good judge of human nature, and has rare business tact and talent, which eminently tit him for his present position. In the fall of 1880 he represented his adopted county in the lower house of the Legislature.
"J" JOEL COOK, M. D.
Dr. Cook was born in Hancock county, Ind., on the 3d day of March, 1855, son of Dr. Daniel Cook, of Fishersburg, Ind. His mother's name was Elizabeth Walker, daughter of Seth Walker, one of the pioneers of Hancock county, Ind. Dr. Cook was married to Mary A. Osborn, December 25, 1878. She was born in Rush county, Ind., February 21, 1859, daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth Osborn. Names of children: Bertha, born November 13, 1879; Wayne H., born September 18, 1881 ; Caroline R., born November 27, 1883; George H., born May 15, 1886; Stanley V., born October 14, 1888; Herbert D., born February II, 1891. This is an interesting family, and reside in Orestus, Madison county, Ind., where the Doctor has a good practice. He attended lectures in Louisville, Ky., in 1879, anc* soon located as above stated. Success and long life to them.
History of Madison County Indiana Pioneers complied by Samuel Harden 1895
Hiram D. Craft, farmer, of Pulaski County, Mo., was born in Hancock County, Ind., in 1844, and is a son of William and Emily (Williams) Craft, who were of English and Scotch descent, respectively, born in 1812 and 1813. The father became a resident of Illinois at an early day, and was a farmer by occupation. In 1866 he became a resident of Kansas, and died in that State in 1872. His wife is still living, an active old lady, aged seventy-six years, and makes her home with her son Abraham. Eight of her twelve children are living, Hiram D. being the sixth of the family. He remained with his parents until eighteen years of age, and then enlisted in the Union army, Company E, Seventy-ninth Illinois Infantry, and served over two years, participating in the battles of Stone River, Missionary Ridge, Chickamauga and Kenesaw Mountain, being wounded in the latter battle, which occasioned the loss of the sight of one eye. In 1866 he was married to Mary Margaret Paul, a daughter of John and Mary Paul. She was born in Kentucky in 1847, and became the mother of eight children, whose names are as follows: Edwin, William, Charley, Albert, Emery, Neva, Thomas and Minnie. Since his marriage Mr. Craft has resided in Pulaski County, where he has a good farm of 190 acres, with sixty under cultivation, located on the Roubideaux River. He takes a deep interest in the cause of education, and makes his home in town in winter seasons in order to give his children the benefit of the town schools. He is a strong Republican, and he and wife are members of the Baptist Church.
Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
CAPT. I. A. CURRY
was born in Center township, Hancock county, Indiana, July 16, 1835. At the age of sixteen his father died, leaving his mother with several small children. Mr. Curry being the oldest, much of the care of the family consequently fell upon his shoulders. He grumbled not, however, but performed his duties well. His opportunities for education were limited, but he made the most of them. In December, 1857, he was married to Miss Mary Thomas, with whom he is still happily living. In August, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company B, 99th Indiana Regiment, and was soon promoted to 1St Sergeant, which position he held till January, 1863, when he was again promoted, this time to 2nd Lieutenant, and in March, 1864, to 1St Lieutenant, and finally, in April, 1865, he was mustered in as Captain. His regiment followed Gen. Sherman in his memorable march through Georgia to the sea. Mr. C, through these tedious years of soldier life, was ever recognized as. a faithful soldier and dutiful officer. In the fall of 1880 he was elected Treasurer of Hancock county, which position he is still filling.
was born in New York City, August 7, 1857, came to Hancock county February 28, 1867, made his home with the late lamented William S. Wood, attended the public schools, received a fair English education and, being an excellent scribe, was, on the 4th day of November, 1874, appointed Deputy Clerk of the Hancock Circuit Court, by Ephraim Marsh, Clerk, which position he holds to this day. October 8, 1879, at Bradford Junction, Ohio, he was married to Miss Angie B., only daughter of Arthur P. and Emily H. Williams, formerly of this city. Mr. D. is a member of the Christian Church, and has always contributed liberally to the support thereof. He is also an honored member of the I. O. O. F. Mr. D. is a young man of rare business tact and talent, and just upon the threshold of many rare possibilities.
a native of the "Ancient Dominion," was born in 1814. He came with his parents to Henry county. When about fifteen years of age, he moved Prior Brown to Brown township. In 1840 he was married to Miss Mary, daughter of Moses McCray. In 1846 Mr. Fort united with the Concord Baptist Church. He afterward became a member of the Nameless Creek Christian Church, of which he was ; a honored member until his death. Mr. F. from the green woods made a good farm, well improved, erected good buildings, with a brick house, lived an honorable, industrious life, and honestly accumulated considerable property. Few men were more esteemed than was Mr., Fort by those who knew him best. His widow, a noble Christian lady, still lives on the old farm, enjoying the fruits of their labor. Mr. F., politically, was a Republican, never aspiring to office. He was content with quiet rural duties in private life. For the last six years of his life he was a constant sufferer, but bore his affliction with patience and resignation, till he was finally taken to his long home, March 22, 1880, and his mortal remains were deposited in the Simmons cemetery in Jackson township, where loving hands have erected to his memory a stately monument.
Lee O. Harris.
was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, January 30, 1839. While yet quite young, his parents removed to Washington county, in the western part of Pennsylvania, where his early youth was passed. Here he was given the advantages of first the common school and then an academic course of study.
He came to Hancock county, Indiana, in 1858, and taught his first school in Fountain town, in the edge of Shelby county.
In the fall of 1859 he went to Illinois, and taught in what was then Coles (now Douglass) county. Returning to Indiana, he again began teaching in Hancock county, and has been more or less identified with her schools ever since, except for the five years succeeding 1874, during which time he was principal of the school at Lewisviile, Indiana.
Mr. Harris is well known throughout the State as a journalist and poet, having been for a number of years a contributor to most of the leading papers of the State, He is also the author of a book, The Man Who Tramps, published in 1878.
The first of January, 1880, Mr. Harris, in connection with Aaron Pope, then County Superintendent, began the publication of The Home and School Visitor, of which paper he is still the editor. In the spring of 1881 he took editorial charge of The Greenfield Republican and continued with that paper until January, 1882, when. The Home and School Visitor demanding his entire attention. he withdrew from the Republican.
Mr. Harris has been identified with the school interests of Hancock county for twenty two years, and has in that time taught more schools than any man now living in the county, yet all this teaching, with the exceptions before mentioned, has been done in Greenfield and within a radius of five miles of that city.
Andrew T. Hart,
senior member of the mercantile firm of Hart & Thayer, of this city, a native of the "Ancient Dominion," was born July 7, 1811. His father, a son of Erin, was a soldier under General St. Clair at the time of his memorable defeat, near the head-waters of the Wabash, in 1791. Andrew T. Hart, while a boy, endured the privations of pioneer life in his native State. At the age of eleven he removed from the home of his earlier youth to Centerville, Wayne county, where he attended such public and private schools as the country then afforded, and acquired a common English education. His opportunities, however, were limited, and the success that has attended his career has been mainly the result of his own exertions, and it may be properly said that he is the architect of his own fortune. At the age of eighteen, he was apprenticed as a saddler with his brother, James B. Hart, of Liberty, Indiana, which trade he faithfully followed for three years, or until 1833, when he removed to Greenfield, where he has since resided. He at once opened a grocer}' store, in which business he continued for two years; then as a clerk for Nicholas & McCarty for one year, followed by a mercantile partnership with Nathan Crawford for two years, when he purchased Crawford's interest, and has continued in the same business ever since, alone and otherwise. Mr. H. has filled a number of positions of public trust, and always with honor. In 1839 he was appointed agent of Indiana for the distribution of surplus revenue. He was the first treasurer elected in Hancock county, the prior treasurers being appointed by the commissioners. This was in 1841. In 1843 he was re-elected, and served for six consecutive years. In 1869 he was commissioned by Salmon P. Chase as U. S. assistant assessor for this county. Mr. H. has been prominently connected with almost all public enterprises in the county during his residence therein. In 1878 he was President of the Hancock Agricultural Society. He become a Mason in 1859, and an Odd Fellow in 1865. In religion he is of orthodox faith. In politics he was first a Whig, and since a Republican. His first vote was cast for Henry Clay. He has been twice married. First, to Miss Louisa Forelander, in June, 1835, who lived but two years. In November, 1838, he was married to Miss Gabriella Sebastian, daughter of William and Elizabeth Sebastian. Mr. Hart has had five children. William E. was a soldier in the 18th Indiana Volunteers, and served for three years. After his discharge he joined and served in Capt. A. K. Branham's company of State troops in the pursuit of John Morgan, in his celebrated raid in Indiana and Ohio, and was killed in that unfortunate disaster at Lawrenceburg, Indiana, in 1863. Mr. H. is a man much respected and highly esteemed by all who know him. He is of genial nature, kind and hospitable. steadfast in his friendship, and upright in his dealings, and by his good qualities of head and heart has endeared himself to every citizen of the county.
James C. Hawk,
a Buckeye by birth, a Hoosier by residence and adoption, a son of Henry and Susan Hawk, of Highland county, Ohio, dates his earthly journeying to September 28, 1824, from Brown county, Ohio. At the age of eight he came to Indiana with his parents and settled in Sugar Creek township, where he has since resided. His facilities for education being very poor, he was compelled to rely upon his own resources for the little education he did receive. Mr. Hawk was married September 23, 1847, to Mary J., daughter of David McNamee. After his marriage Mr. H. settled on his farm, where he tilled the soil in summer and taught the youth of his neighborhood in the winter for about four years, since which time he has devoted his energies wholly to rural pursuits, never having held but one public office, that of township trustee, in conjunction with Lewis Burk and Joseph H. Conner, in 1856. Mr. H. is an honorable citizen and an affable gentleman. See his portrait on another page.
HON. CHARLES L. HENRY
The subject of this sketch was born in Hancock county, Indiana, in 1849, and since 1852 has been a resident of Madison county, Anderson being his present address.He graduated from the law department of the State University at Bloomington, in 1872, and for the past eight years has been in the active practice of his profession. He was elected by a majority of over four hundred.
Indiana's Representative Men in 1881: Containing Biographies of the Members of the Senate and House of Representatives of the State of Indiana, by John E. Land, Pg 81 - transcribed by J.S.
Hon. William R. Hough,
senior member of the law firm of Hough & Cook, of the city of Greenfield, was born at Williamsburgh, Wayne county, in this State, October 9, 1833. He is the oldest son of Alfred and Anna Hough, whose parents were among the pioneers of that county. 11 is paternal ancestors were among the early settlers of Pennsylvania, having emigrated from England and located in that State in 1683. At the age of eight years, the subject of our sketch removed with his parents from his native village to Hagerstown, in the same county, and in the fall of 1842 from Hagerstown to Northern Indiana, locating at Middlebury, Elkhart county.
In this village Mr. Hough grew to manhood, receiving such educational advantages as were afforded by the pubic schools, the Middlebury Seminary, and a supplemental course of study at the LaGrange Collegiate Institute, of LaGrange county- During his twentieth and twenty second years he taught school in the last named county. In the fall of 1856, having determined to enter the legal profession, he located in Greenfield, and began the study of the law in the office of Capt. Reuben A. Riley. one of the leading lawyers of the county. He made rapid progress with his studies, and was soon admitted to the bar, and began practice as partner of his preceptor. While prosecuting his legal studies he was twice appointed by the commissioners of this county to the office of school examiner, and for two successive years performed the duties thereof. In i860 he was elected district attorney for the district composed of the counties of Hancock, Madison, Henry, Rush and Decatur. and for two years prosecuted the pleas of the State to the satisfaction of the law abiding people of the district.
In 1862 Mr. Hough was married to Miss Tillie C, McDowell, a native of Scotland, and settled down to tin? earnest pursuit of his profession, and for ten or twelve years did an immense amount of professional labor, both in his office and at the bar, where he was recognized as an able advocate and a tenacious, strong opponent. In the year 1872 he was nominated and elected State Senator for the district composed of Hancock and Henry counties, which position he filled for four years, serving during two regular and two special sessions in the Legislature. As a legislator, Mr. H. was recognized as an able debater, and as a man of acknowledged executive ability, evidenced by the large amount of work which he performed as a member of several of the most important committees.
Mr. H. has been an earnest Republican since the organization of the party, and cast his first vote for President for John C. Fremont. Since i865 he has been an honored member of the I. O. O. F.
Mrs. Hough, who has been his companion and helpmate indeed, is a lady of refined tastes and accomplishments, and is in every way fitted to preside over her elegant and hospitable home. They have two boys, William A. and Clarence A., aged respectively seventeen and fifteen. Their only daughter, Mabel, a beautiful, brilliant little girl, dearly loved by all her friends and schoolmates, and idolized by her parents, was, at the age of seven years. suddenly and unexpectedly called from her pleasant home, surrounded by birds, music, flowers and ferns, to enter her long home in the celestial city, where the streets are paved with gold, and music is never ceasing, and sickness, death and darkness never enter.
Mr. H. is a public spirited citizen, and is a prominent promoter and supporter of the public school system, which he has defended as a citizen, lecturer and legislator. That his services to the cause of education as a member of the Senate were highly appreciated by the leading educators of the State, may be inferred from the following incident: In the year 1874, the late Hon. Milton B. Hopkins, then Superintendent of Public Instruction, in a public lecture in Greenfield, in speaking of the acts of the Legislature of 1873, among other things said : "The last Legislature was the best Legislature on the question of education that ever sat in Indiana; and I take pleasure in saying now, and saying it here in his presence (Mr. H. being in the audience), that no county was more faithfully represented in that body, on that question, than was Hancock county, on the floor of the Senate, in the person of your honored Senator."
Mr. Hough has been remarkably successful financially, having achieved a handsome competence, and is one of the largest tax-payers in the county.
Dr. Noble P. Howard,
senior member of the medical firm of this city of Howard, Martin & Howard, was born in Warren county, Ohio. September 11, 1822. His father was one of the first settlers of Cincinnati, and during the war of 1812 was a soldier in the American army. In 1836, while the subject of this sketch was a mere boy, he came with his mother and settled in Indiana, where he received an English education at IJrookyille, Franklin county. In 1840 he began the study of medicine with the eminent doctor, H.. G. Sexton, of Rushville, Indiana where he read for three fan. In 1843 he moved to this city, and began the practice of medicine and surgery. In 1877 he was vice-president of the Indiana State Medical Society. He has served as President of the Union Medical Society of Hancock and Henry counties, and also as President of the Hancock Medical Society. He holds diplomas from the Indiana Medical College, and from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, both of Indianapolis, and is also a member of the American Medical Society. In 1862 he was commissioned as assistant surgeon in the 12th regiment of Indiana volunteers, and served during its term of enlistment. For about eight years he was deputy collector of internal revenue. He has ever manifested a public spirit, and has taken stock in most of the gravel moods centering in Greenfield. Since 1856 he has been an honored member of the Odd Fellows, and has filled all the offices of the subordinate lodge and encampment. In 1861 he was elected Most Worthy Grand Patriarch of the Grand Encampment of the State of Indiana. He la a member of the M. E. Church, was a Whig in the days of that party, and an earnest Union man during the civil war. In 1856 he was a candidate on the Republican ticket for representative, but the county being Democratic, he was defeated by the 1 Ion. Thomas D. Walpole. He was a Republican unit the nomination of Horace Greeley, since which time he his acted with the Democratic party. He was married April 23, 1844, to Miss Cinderilla J. Gooding, daughter of Asa and Matilda Gooding, and a sister of Judge D. S. Gen. O. P. and Hon. II. C, Gooding, Dr. Howard is a genial gentleman, and a man of firm convictions and uncompromising integrity, and stands well both in his profession and as a man.
Dr. Elam I. Judkins,
a resident physician of this city, and second son of the late James Judkins, was born in Wayne county, Indiana, in 1830. He remained with his father, working on a farm and in a mill, till he attained his majority. His opportunities for education being limited, his thirst for knowledge led him to Greenville in January. 1852, where he attended school for a time, then at Shelbyville for one year. Be afterwards engaged in teaching and manual labor until the autumn of 1854. when he went into the drug trade and study of medicine. In the spring of 1865, after having attended a course of lectures in the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, he began the practice, and has since been actively and successfully engaged in his chosen profession. Dr., J. is a graduate of the Indiana Medical College and of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Indiana. He has been an active insurance agent since 1863, and perhaps is the oldest agent in the county. He has been a member of and zealously devoted to the order of Masons since 1853. In May, 1857, he was married in Rensselaer, Jasper county, Indiana, to Miss Emma L. Martin, daughter of the late Dr. William H. Martin, formerly of Rushville, and at one time Secretary of the Board of Examiners of the Indiana Medical Institute. In February, 1880, Mrs. J. died, leaving no children. The only child born unto them died in 1863, at the age of five years. In 1862, the doctor was appointed enrolling and draft commissioner, by Gov. Morton, for this county. In 1868-69, Dr. J. served as President of the Board of Town Trustees, and to him is mainly due the credit of originating and negotiating the bonds for the erection of the public school building, which is a credit to our city. He also served four years as treasurer of the town. In 1881 Dr. J. was appointed by the Commissioner of Pensions as a U. S. Examining Surgeon for this vicinity, which position he still holds. The Doctor's mother and sister are living with him at the old home, where he set up to himself in 1857. The Doctor is an unswerving Republican, inclines to the Presbyterian faith, and is an enterprising, public spirited man.
a native of Virginia, began his earthly pilgrimage in 1803. Was married to Elizabeth Wales in North Carolina, September 1, 1825, and emigrated to Newport, Wayne county, Indiana, in 1826. Moved to Hancock county in 1833, and entered land about one mile west of Eden. Among his neighbors at that time were Robert Walker, Jas. and Jehu Denney, Jacob and William Amick, and Enoch Olvey. Others soon followed. Here he experienced the hardships and privations of pioneer life. Fruits were then almost unknown; corn was $1 per bushel, and other eatables proportionately high. In 1836 he moved to the Pierson farm and mill on Sugar Creek, five or six miles north-west of Greenfield, which mill he run for about four
years, and did much of the grinding and sawing for the citizens of Greenfiefd. The old mill pond was then supplied with tine fish, the catching of which afforded royal sport for some of the early settlers of Greenfield, among whom were Cornwell and Joshua Meek, Nathan Crawford, Ferdinand Keiffer, the Piersons and others. In 1840 he sold the mill, purchased an adjoining farm, and worked thereon for two years ; then back to the Pierson farm and mill again, which he rented for six years, Pierson having died in the meantime. In 1848 he returned to his adjoining farm, where he remained till his death, December 24,1874. Mr. J. was the father of eight children, his widow and three of whom survive him. Dr. E. I.. Miss Irene and the widow, of this city, and James M., of Iowa. Mr. J. was a devoted member of Hancock Lodge, No. 101, F. A. M. His mortal remains now slumber in the Sugar Creek cemetery, near his old home.
present Clerk of the Hancock Circuit Court, was born in Brown township, this county, June 2, 1845. He is a son of Jonas and Catharine Marsh, honest, respectable people in good standing. Ephriam paid close attention to his studies and soon acquired a fair English education at the public schools of the county, and at the age of twenty entered Asbury University at Greencastle, Indiana, where he graduated with honors in 1870. During his collegiate course he spent one year at Washington City as clerk in the Third Auditor's office of the Treasury Department, receiving his appointment through the recommendation of ex-Governor Hendricks and Judge D. S. Gooding. After serving for a time as deputy clerk of the Circuit Court under Henry A. Swope, during which time he applied himself assiduously to the study of law, he was, in the autumn of 1874, elected Clerk of the Circuit Court, and re-elected in 1878. Mr. Marsh, on February 29, 1872, joined the Knights of Pythias ; in 1873, the Free and Accepted Masons ; in 1874, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows; in 1878, the Ancient Order of Workingmen. He has been Master in the Masonic and Past Chancellor in the Pythias. He is also a thirty second Indiana Consistory, S. P. R., and a member of Keystone Chapter of the Masons of Indianapolis and Raper Commandery. He was married February 5. 1875, to Miss Matilda J. Brewer, of Franklin county, an estimable lady of great merit and financial means, the fruits of which union is one child, Ella, a favorite of all who know her, and in the public school, which she is now attending.
Mr. M. is a steadfast Democrat, a line conversationalist, and a courteous gentleman. As an officer he has been attentive and efficient, and has won the confidence of his constituents. Mr. M. is still a young man, and is looking forward to the legal profession after the expiration of his office, and is bending his energies in that direction.
REV. H. JULIAN MATHIAS.
Although yet a young man, the subject of this sketch, the Rev. H. Julian Mathias. has achieved pronounced success in his chosen profession and has accomplished much good in all his ministerial work, being especially liked by the congregation of the Lutheran church at Newberry, Indiana, of which he now has charge. Rev. Mathias is a native of South Carolina, having been born there October 3, 1871. He is the son of David J. and Margaret (Kleckley) Mathias. who were South Carolina people. David was the son of Jesse Mathias, a farmer of the last named state. Margaret Kleckley was the daughter of John H. and Sarah (Montz) Kleckley, both natives of South Carolina, where they lived and died on a farm. David Mathias died in 1907. His widow is still living in South Carolina. They had nine children, born as follows: Rev. H. Julian, the subject; Jesse, Sallie.. Beattie, Simon, Samuel, Andrew, Ora and Tillman. The parents of the subject and all their ancestors were members of the Lutheran church.
The subject was reared on a farm, receiving his education from the common schools of the county and the high school at Lexington. South Carolina. He then entered Concordia College at Conover, North Carolina, and one year later entered Lenoir College at Hickory, North Carolina, where he spent two years. He then entered Newberry College, at Newberry, in South Carolina, graduating in 1896, and graduating two years later from the Southern Lutheran Theological Seminary at Newberry, South Carolina.
After leaving school Rev. Mathias accepted a charge at Selwood, South Carolina, for three years. He then preached two years at St. Luke's, Prosperity, South Carolina. He then preached at Lincolnton, North Carolina, for two years. In June, 1905, he came to Newberry, Indiana, where he has remained to the present time (1908). The subject was married in 1898 to Minnie Shell, a native of Conover, North Carolina. She was reared there and met the subject when he was attending school at that place. She is the daughter of John S. and Sarah (Miller) Shell, the former a native of North Carolina and the latter a native of Tennessee. John Shell and wife are both dead and Minnie is their only child. Four children have been born to Rev. Mr. Mathias and wife, as follows: Hermann, born September 12, 1899; Mabel, born May 10, 1901 ; Margaret, who died in infancy; Julian Voigt, born March 3, 1907.
The subject is a member of the Chicago Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran church. In connection with his charge at Newberry he preaches at a church near Monroe City, in Knox county, Indiana. He built up the charge at that place until a new church was recently erected. The subject is an earnest worker and leaves nothing undone to better the condition of the people among whom he is laboring. He is an apt scholar, and he received the senior medal at the Newberry College in South Carolina and second honors there.
WILILAM W. MOORE
As a leading and public-spirited editor of various newspapers in different parts of the country, William W. Moore, of Routt county, now a prominent and enterprising ranch and cattle man on Williams Fork, near Craig, has made valuable contributions to the awakening, direction and concentration of public sentiment for the good of the country, and as a laborer in various fields of enterprise in Colorado he has been of considerable service in helping to develop the state’s resources and building up her material interests. He was born at Greenfield, Indiana on August 2, 1853, and was educated at the graded schools of that city. At the age of fourteen years he was apprenticed to the trade of a printer, serving his apprenticeship in the office of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat, where he worked four years. Then, in partnership with his father, he started a paper at Wheatland, Hickory county, Missouri, known as the Wheatland Mirror. They were measurably successful in this enterprise and sol the plant and business at a fair profit, after which they moved to Sedalia, in the same state, and for a year had charge of the daily there owned by J.F. Leach, Mr. Moore, the younger, serving as foreman. Then father and son together bought the Democratic paper at Nevada City, which they conducted together for a year and a half. At the end of that period failing health induced the son to move to Colorado. He took up his residence at Georgetown, where he remained until 1875, engaged in a number of different pursuits. In that year he formed a partnership with A. Fisk in conducting saw-mills at Georgetown, in which he continued with good success until March 16, 1879. At that time Mr. Moore journeyed on snowshoes to Kokomo and from there moved on to Leadville. Here he was employed for a short time on the Reveille and Chronicle, then he moved to the Arkansas river and took charge of a saw-mill owned by May & King. In November, 1880, he became manager of two saw-mills belonging to Bull & Harrison, and, moving them to Durango, he continued in charge of them until August, 1881. From Durango he went to Pueblo where he carried a hoe until October 10th. At that time he joined in business with Mr. Fisk and, purchasing a four-mule outfit, they moved to Bear river. In the autumn of 1882 he located a pre-emption claim of one hundred and sixty acres near Hayden, which he improved. In the winter of 1883 he moved to the vicinity of Carbondale, where for awhile he prospected without success. Next starting from Glenwood Springs, he traveled on snow-shoes to Carbondale, but he soon afterward returned to Glenwood Springs where he passed some time cutting cord wood for use in burning brick. The company for which he and eight others worked was unable to pay its employees and they started for Leadville with a joint capital of four dollars. AT the last named town he was variously employed until 1887. From then until 1895 he was once more in partnership with Mr. Fisk, their enterprise during this period being the stock business. In 1895 he bought Mr. Fisk’s ranch interest, and on December 28th of that year he met with an accident while prospecting for coal, by which he lost his left leg. He sold the ranch he then had in 1902 at a good profit and the next year bought the one he now owns on Williams fork. This comprises three hundred and twenty acres, of which two hundred and fifty acres are under advanced cultivation. Here he conducts a flourishing cattle industry on a large scale, in which he finds congenial employment and excellent returns for his labor. He takes an active interest in public affairs as a Republican and gives the principles and candidates of his party loyal support. He is the son of William and Amanda (Woodworth) Wood, the former a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, and the latter of the state of Indiana. The father was a prominent physician, a graduate of the medical department of the University of Edinburgh, and at times was connected with newspaper work in an editorial capacity. He was a man of great public-spirit and a zealous Republican in political faith. Both parents have been dead for a number of years. Their living children are Edwin R., Pinckney M., William W., Mrs. Belle Snyder, Mrs. Florence Agune and Mrs. Laura S. Morris.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)
HENRY CLAY OWEN.
The subject of this sketch. Henry C. Owen, was born in Scotland, Greene county, Indiana, November 25. 1839, and, finding' his native "heath" sufficient to meet his earthly wants, decided to remain there, devoting his life to various pursuits, now spending- his declining' years as proprietor of a grocery store at Newberry, Indiana. Mr. Owen was the son of Henry C. and Mary Frances (Jones) Owen, the latter a native of Rockbridge county, Virginia, and the former of Kentucky, having been born near Owensborough. Henry Owen came to Greene county, Indiana, in the early years of the nineteenth century and worked at the carpenter's trade at Scotland. The subject was thirteen years old when his father removed to Newberry, Indiana, in 1852. This was before the Wabash and Erie canal, and only three frame houses had been erected there, together with a few cabins. The subject's father remained there during the remainder of his life. Henry's father, William Owen, was a native of Kentucky, but he came to Indiana, locating on a farm near Owensburg. where he spent his life. Man- F. Jones, Henry Owen's wife, died in Newberry. They were the parents of seven children, namely: James M., who died at Newberry in May, 1908, aged seventy-three years; Catherine, now deceased, was the wife of Barton Hines : Henry C., our subject; Mary F., now deceased; Maranda, wife of Bazel Hindman, living at Newberry, Indiana; Jane is the wife of John A. Wesner, living in Missouri; Cynthia C. is deceased. She was the wife of Alonzo Quackenbush. The parents of the subject were members of the Methodist church. His father was a class leader and took a great interest in church affairs. He was a Republican and took an active interest in politics, serving two terms as treasurer of Greene county, Indiana. He did. much toward the upbuilding of the town of Newberry and subscribed to the railroad and the canal. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Henry C. Owen, our subject, learned the carpenter's trade from his father and followed this at Newberry, Indiana, until 1893. He received his education in the common schools, taught in the primitive log houses of those days, and was married July 3, 1859, to Anna L. Skomp, who was born in Knox county. She died in Newberry, leaving six children, as follows: Charles, living in Ohio: James M., who lives in Martinsvillc, Indiana; Mary Frances, wife of W. M. Wesner, who lives in Newberry ; Lilie A., wife of Clifford Courtney, who lives in Linton. Indiana; Lucinda. wife of Edward Brookshire, living in Linton; Henry C.. living in Newberry. The subject's second wife was Man. L. Sipley, who was born in New Albany, Indiana, the daughter of Caroline and Jacob Sipley. Two children were born to this second union, Norma and John D. Mr. Owen enlisted in Company B, Twenty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, in 1862, at Paoli, Indiana,and served until the close of the war, having taken part in the battles of Baton Rouge, siege of Mobile, where he was nine clays in the trenches. He was slightly injured at Canoe Station. He was then in the Third Division, Thirteenth Corps, under General Oslerhouse. He was slightly injured before he got to the front in a railroad accident at Effingham. Illinois.
Mr. Owen was supervisor of Cass township. Greene county, Indiana, several times, and he served one term as county commissioner; also was post - master at Newberry for four years. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and a member of the Eastern Star ; also a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. He is now (1908) justice of the peace. Mr. Owen and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, He has been trustee of the church ever since it was organized in that place. The entire Owen family is highly respected in Newberry.
one of the earliest settlers of Greenfield, was born April 26, 1799. in Chittenden county, Vermont, from whence he removed to Switzerland county, Indiana, in 1814 ; thence to Greenfield, Indiana, September 21, 1830. Mr. P. visited Hancock county in the fall of 1826, while she yet belonged to Madison county. Mr. P. was twice married. First, to Eliza Moore, May 27, 1827, who died February 6. 1844 ; second, to Lucena Silcox, who is still living, on February 15, 1846. Mr. P. has filled several positions of trust and profit. By reference to page thirty nine and succeeding pages of this hook, it will be observed that he was county treasurer fur a number of years in the early nation} of the county. He was also county school commissioner and county surveyor for a considerable time. Mr. P. was a Mason, a Republican, and a liberal, enterprising, practical citizen, and did much for the encouragement of pikes, railroads, and other internal improvements. While employed in his daily duties, he died suddenly on the morning of May 22, 1879. Age, four score years and twenty six days.
was born in Preston county, West Virginia, August 29, 1818, and moved to Hancock county, Indiana, during the winter of 1836-7. Was married to Mary T. Watson December 17, 1840, who died December 4, 1841. His second marriage was to Susannah Lakin, October 16, 1845, who has been an invalid for the past twenty six years. Mr. S. has raised four children (all boys), all of whom are still living, the oldest being thirty five years of age. Mr. Smith's religious views are strictly old school Baptist. He established a store at what is now known as Willow Branch in 1853, and a post office at the same place in 1854. He continued in this occupation about twenty years. Also, at the same time Mr. S. continued in farming, which was his former occupation. Mr. S. was a staunch Democrat, an industrious man, and served one term as county commissioner.
R. A. Smith,
a native of Brandywine township, this county, dates his earthly career from January 10, 1853. His parents were plain, practical, pious pioneers, who earned their bread by the sweat of their brow, and taught their children that labor is honorable, and to till the soil is respectable. Mr. Smith's boyhood days were spent on the farm, where he hood and harrowed in the summer, attended the district schools, led the calves and hunted rabbits in the winter. After arriving at majority, he taught school for a time, but feeling dissatisfied with his acquirements, he resolved to make an effort for a better education. In the fall of 1S72 he entered the New Garden high school in Wayne county, Indiana, and for one year was under the tutorage of the writer, who was then principal, after which he entered the Stale Normal at Terre Haute, Indiana, where he continued for two years; after which he resumed teaching, at which profession he has given about nine years of his life in the district and graded schools of the county. He was one year at McCordsville, and two years principal of the Fortville graded schools. September 2, 1879, Mr. Smith was married to Miss Mary E., daughter of II. B. Cole, of Shelby county. This short but pleasant and promising union was terminated by the death of Mrs. S., March 2, 1880. About two years since, Mr. Smith resolved to exchange the rod for the scalpel, and after reading for a time with the firm of Howard, Martin & Howard, of this city, he attended lectures at Indianapolis, and was fast unraveling the abstruse, recondite intricacies of medico legal studies, when he was called to public duties, being elected County Superintendent of Schools, of Hancock county, July 30, 1881, to fill the unexpired term of the late Aaron Pope. Mr. S., in politics, is a Democrat; in church relations, a Protestant Methodist, and in private and public life is above reproach.
William Perry Smith,
was born in Brandywine township, in this county, March 2, 1842. His father was a farmer, and his early life was passed, like that of most farmer's boys, in assisting about the farm. He, however, early manifested a disposition toward educational and literary pursuits, in which he was indulged and encouraged by his parents, who lived to reap the reward of their kindness in the success and honor of their son.
Perry, ;as he was familiarly culled by those who knew and loved him best, received his first school training at district school-house No. 3, situated but a few steps from his father's home. Here he mastered the rudiments of an English education, and then attended high school at Acton, Ind., one year. After this he began teaching, in which profession he was very successful, winning the love of his pupils and the respect of their parents by his noble qualities of mind and heart. During this time he also learned the art of photography, in the practice of which he employed his time during the summer months, when not in school. Determining to lit himself still more thoroughly for his work of teaching be entered the State Normal School at Terre Haute in 1873. Here he attended two terms, doing four terms' work within the time of two. So thorough had been his previous training that he made the best per cent, on entering of any student of his class.
After leaving the Normal School he taught one year, at the end of which time received the appointment of County Superintendent of Hancock county, which position he held for two terms, or until the time of his death. To this field of labor he brought the same scholastic skill, accurate judgment and indomitable energy which had characterized his previous career, and the schools under his management were efficient and prosperous. Much of the work begun by him has since been carried forward to success, and it will be long ere his influence will cease to be felt in the schools of Hancock county. He was married July 10, 1878, to Miss Agnes E. McDonald, an estimable young lady, also a teacher. He was taken sick of typhoid fever about February 1, 1879, and. after a lingering and painful illness, died March 25th of the same year. He was a member of the Methodist Protestant Church ; also an honored member of the Masonic Fraternity, Knights of Pythias and the Brotherhood of United Workingmen. He was buried with Masonic honors at Mt. Lebanon Cemetery, near his old home, where loving hands have erected a monument to his memory. lie was but in the morning of his manhood, but upon the threshold of many promising possibilities, when death closed his eyes to all earthly things and blinded those of his friends with tears. Had he lived, but it is useless to speculate upon what might have been since now it can never be. In the hearts of those who knew him best is written this epitaph:
He was a Christian who never disguised his profession ; a man whose acts honored his race.
William J. Sparks
was born March 11, 1853, in Morgan county, Indiana, where he received a common school education, attending school for a time at Mooresville. His father being a miller, young Sparks run the engine in his native county for several years, prior to 1872; thence to Henry county, and worked for a time in the Commercial Mills on Blue River, of which mills his father was the proprietor; thence to Greenfield, where he engaged in the sewing machine trade till 1879, when he was elected clerk of the city of Greenfield, which position he finally resigned to become a candidate for mayor, to which office he was elected by a handsome majority. This position he still fills. Mayor Sparks is a young man, unmarried, a Republican, a member of the Christian Church, and is superintendent of the Sunday School connected therewith. He is fully identified with the interest of the city, and is putting forth his best efforts to bring it up to his ideal of a model municipality.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails