County Indiana Churches
Mount Olivet Church
Blue river township, now known as Mt. Olivet, was organized
in the year 1838, by old
Father Hubbard, in what was then known as the Allen School-House,
in district No. 3. Among its early preachers were Elders Hubbard,
Epplesizer and Jonathan Lineback. Its early members were Jonathan and
Polly Line-back, Absalom Davis and wife, Eli and Anna Risley, John and
Catharine New, and Miss Lizzie Miller. The same church was reorganized
in the year 1862, by Elder W. A. Gross, at what is now called the
Temperance Hall School-House, in district No. 2, with a few members,
prominent of whom were Jonathan Lineback and wife, Nathan Newby and
wife, and Abraham Lineback and wife. The membership at that time was
about fifty six. The present building was erected in 1871, at a cost of
$1,000. It was dedicated in June, 1871, by Elder Homer. A. II. Allison
built the church, and was the first preacher, followed by Elders
John Burket, Davenport, and Peter Baker. Some of the present members
are: Miles S. Cook and wife, Walter S. Luse, John Hackleman, Polly
Lineback, and others, about forty in number. Preaching, usually, once a
History of Shiloh Church
On the fifth Saturday in May,
1841, a number of Baptists met at
the house of Richard Hackleman, in the southwestern part of the
township, to consider the propriety of organizing a church. After some
consultation, they agreed to call a council of brethren, to meet at the
house of Solomon Tyner on the fourth Saturday of the next month.
At this council there were thirteen persons present, and they organized
by choosing Elder McQuary as moderator and J. T. Price as clerk. After
some deliberation the council proceeded to adopt a constitution. The
names of the constituent members were as follows, to-wit: Solomon
Tyner, John H. Caldwell, John M. Duncan, Jemima Tyner, Nancy Duncan,
Caroline Randall, and Rosanna Caldwell; being seven members in all,
which was increased to fifteen at their next meeting. Elder McQuary was
their first pastor. He was one of Indiana's pioneers ; a man of unusual
energy and piety, and his preaching was considered powerful and
impressive. His hallowed influence still survives in the hearts of many
of the brethren.
The following are the pastors in
order, and the time each served:
1841 to 1852, Elder McQuary.
The church continued to hold her
meetings from house to house until the
year 1854; she then erected a frame building, 30x40 feet, at a cost of
$800. The house is on the pike, just north of Tyner's old store, on the
south-east corner of section 26, township fifteen north, range seven
east. This house is still her place of worship.
From 1852 to 1853, Elder Wm. Baker.
From 1853 to 1854, Elder Elias Boston.
From 1854 to 1857, Elder Wilson
From 1857 to 1864, Elder J. G.Jackson.
From 1864 to 1868, Elders J, S.
Weaver and D. Caudel.
From 1868 to 1872, Elders G. S.
Weaver and A. B. May.
From 1872 to 1876, Elders A. B.May
and Harvey Wright.
From 1876 to 1879, Elders Harvey
Wright and D. Caudel.
From 1879 to 1881, Elders D. Caudel
and J. F. Weaver.
Shiloh first asked admission, and was
received, into the Lebanon
Association : but afterward withdrew, and, for convenience, joined the
White Water Association. It would be well to state here that Baptist
churches are not under the control of a superior organization, but each
Church is independent. The association is merely an annual meeting for
mutual correspondence. One session of the Lebanon Association and three
sessions of the White Water Association have been held with this
church. It was here that the Lebanon Association was held in August,
1846, at which time the great question of " Means and anti-Means" was
discussed. Some churches had already divided, each party sending
messengers, whose ii- were
contested. It was an exciting time, and party spirit ran high.
Those of the means party claimed that "God quickens, regenerates and
makes alive dead sinners by his spirit through the written and
preached word. That God has proposed salvation in the Gospel to the
world of mankind. That Jesus did not die as man, but as
God." The anti-means party claimed that "God quickens the sinner by the power of his spirit
without the aid or
instrumentality of human power. That the written and preached word is
for the instruction and comfort of God's people after they have been
quickened by his power. That God has not proposed salvation to any one,
but has secured the salvation of all saints by the blood of Christ; and
that repentance and remission of sins is a gift of God, and not the act
of the creature by the free volition of his will." They also held that
"Christ died as man and not as God." Other points were discussed, but
the foregoing are the main ones.
This church is anti-means, and though
at present numbering but
thirty members, it is at peace with mankind, and enjoying a reasonable
degree of prosperity.
[We are indebted to W. N. Tharp, a
teacher and the church clerk, for
most of the above facts.] .
Western Grove Church
This meeting was established in the
Eleventh Month, 1864.
The society held its meetings for ten
years in a log house formerly
used as a potter's shop, located a few rods north of the present
Prominent among its first members
were Elias Marsh, Isaac Beeson, John
Hunt, Elihu Coffin and Mahlon Beeson.
The first minister that ever preached
in the house was Asenith Clark
(Dr. Dugan Clark's mother), followed by Luther B. Gordon, Mahlon
Hockett, Mary Rogers, Jane Jones, and several others. The present
minister is Joseph O. Binford.
The house now in use was built in the
year 1874 is a handsome,
substantial frame building, size 36x44, erected at a cost of $1,400.
Regular meetings are held twice every
mid-week meetings occur on Fourth Day (Wednesday). The monthly meetings
alternate with Westland.
The organization is in a healthy,
flourishing condition. Present
membership, one hundred and sixty five.
A Sabbath school in connection with
the church has been kept up the
year around ever since its organization. Present superintendent, Thomas
L. Marsh. Average attendance, fifty.
The organization term themselves
Friends, but are generally known as
Sugar-Creeek Church (Christian)
In Brandywine township,
and one half miles north of
Carrollton, and organized in the year 1831, first met at the private
house of William Thomas senior.
The following were among the original
members: William Thomas, sen.,
father of Ex-Sheriff Thomas; Elizabeth Thomas, Henry Thomas, John
Baker, Elizabeth Baker, William McConnell and wife, James and Margaret
Anderson, and Eleazer Snodgrass.
The first preachers were Elders John
Gregg, D. Holt, and J. P. Banks.
The meetings were afterwards held in
a log school-house one mile north
The present house was built in the
year 1869, at a cost of $2,000, and
dedicated by O. A. Burgess. Size of house, 38x48.
The following are the present
trustees: John S. Thomas, Robert Davis,
and Henry Fry.
Among the more recent Elders were
Arthur Miller, David Franklin,
Robert Edmondson, and Elder Bennett. The present preacher is Elder
This church has a good Sunday school,
organized about 1869. Present
superintendent, Robert Williamson. Average attendance, forty five.
Eden Chapel (United Brethren)
Was organized in the year
located one mile east of Carrollton.
Among the first members were George
Muth and family, Mrs. Higgenbottom,
John Elmore and wife, Mrs. Hoagland, and others.
The meetings of the society were held
in George Muth's house until
1850, when a substantial frame house, costing $1,400, was built.
The first ministers were George Muth,
Amos Hanaway and Rev. Father Ball.
About 1865, they sold their
the Radical Methodist;, who
are still holding forth in the same house, with Rev. Callah as their
The United Brethern removed the class
to Carrollton about the year 1870, and held their meetings in a small
building formerly the old public school-house. Present minister. Rev.
This church has a prosperous little
Sunday school. Willard Low, Esq.,
superintendent. There are several small Sunday schools in the
school-houses. In 1865, the Brandywine Union Sunday school was
organized at Cowden's School-house. J. P. Banks, superintendent.
Robert Williamson has bean superintendent for about eight years.
There are also Sunday schools at Porter's, Scott's, and Pleasant Hill.