Andrew Fife was born in Louisville, KY. Aug. 29, 1841, and is a son of John & Elizabeth Wright Fife; the former a native of IN., and the latter of Germany, but came to America with her parents when quite young, she died in 1885, at an advanced age. The elder Fife, though a farmer, was also a river man and followed steam boating at intervals, and while his children were yet small he died suddenly of cholera. He married Elizabeth Wright, and to them were born 3 children, of which Andrew Fife, this subject was eldest. Andrew Fife, after the death of his father, secured a home with his uncle, Henry C. Wright, where he continued to reside until he was grown, and thus was reared on a farm, receiving such education as the times afforded. When the war broke out he entered the service of the government, and first was employed as a teamster. After following this branch of the service nearly a year, he returned home and enlisted in the 49th Regiment 3rd IN, Calvary, Co. M. march 23, 1862, and was discharged July 25, 1865, at the expiration of his term of service. Among the engagements he was in were: Greenville, TN. Chickamauga, Macon, GA. Marietta, Louisville, GA. Savannah, Goldsboro, N.C. and went with Sherman in his “March to the Sea.” Was one of Sherman’s escorts at the surrender of Col. Joe Johnson. After the close of the war he returned to his home in Harrison Co. and resumed the plow. He was married Oct. 22, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth Brower, a daughter of Solomon Brower, formerly of Hamilton Co., Ohio, and was born Dec. 6, 1846. To Mr. & Mrs. Fife were born 8 children, Stella. Born Apr. 3, 1869; Annie Jan. 27, 1871; William J. Nov. 15, 1873; Charles Dec. 22, 1876; Perry Jan. 13, 1880; Alice march 20, 1882; John Apr. 23, 1884 & Alvey, Jan. 4, 1888. Annie died Apr. 12, 1871, and William J. died Dec. 31, 1873. Mr. is a well respected citizen and thorough and prosperous farmer.
Abraham Fleshman, a prominent farmer of Washington Township, Harrison Co. was born Sept, 19, 1825, and is a son of Ephriam & Rosanna Sonner Fleshman, natives of VA. The former emigrated to KY., in 1804, where he lived 2 years, then removed to Harrison Co. IN., where the remainder of his life was spent. He raised a family of 5 children, of which Abraham, the subject was the 3rd. In 1850 Mr. Fleshman was married to Miss Mary Jane Burford, a native of IN. They had had 6 children, George W.; Lyman S.; Simon E.; Arthur C.; Charles L.; and Aquilla D. George W. & Simon E. are dead. Lyman S. is a merchant at Mauckport; Arthur C. is teacher; Charles L. is attending school at Lebanon and Aquilla is at home on the farm.
Mr. & Mrs. Fleshman are consistent members of the Methodist Church at Mauckport.
Henry Clay Fouts M.D.
Henry Clay Fouts M.D. was born at Bradford, Harrison Co. IN, Oct. 21, 1843. After attaining a good comm0on school education, in 1864, he began the study of medicine under Dr. Joseph Ellis of Bradford. He attended his 1st course of medical lectures at Miami College, Cincinnati, Ohio, and graduated from the medical department of the University of Louisville, Mar. 4, 1870.
In the following year begun his practice in Orange Co. IN, and a year later removed to Lanesville where he has succeeded in building up a very fine practice.
He has twice been married, Oct. 8, 1865 to Miss Eliza Ellis, daughter of Dr. John Ellis of Hardinsburg, Washington Co. IN. her death occurred in 1881, leaving him with 3 children: Carrie M., Charles V., and Iola E. His second wife was Miss Ella Cravens, to whom he was married June 12, 1887, is a daughter of James A. Cravens, a prominent farmer and an ex-congressmen residing near Hardinsburg.
Dr. Fouts’ father was David Fouts, a North Carolinian by birth, and came to Harrison Co. in 1816. He was born in 1803 and died in 1883. His mother was Miss Belinda Burns. His farm of 225 acres near Hardinsburg, is fine and well improved land.
Harvey Frakes was born in this county Jan. 27,1824, and is a son of Conrad & Margaret Priestland Frakes, natives of IN., and KY. Respectively; former died here in 1836, and his widow 1863. Harvey Frakes, whose name stands at the head of this sketch was the youngest of 9 children born to his parents. His early life was spent on the farm, and he attended the schools of the neighborhood. At the age of 14 he was apprenticed to John Frakes, his older brother, to learn the cooper’s trade. He served out his time and followed the business, together with farming, until reaching manhood, when on the 23rd of Aug. 1849 he married to Miss Ella Lemmon, a daughter of Elias & Mary Fando Lemmon, th4e former an Indiana native and the latter a Kentuckian. Elias Lemmon followed flat boating a good deal, and in Dec. 1847, he fell from a flat boat below Baton Rouge, LA., and was drowned. His widow died in Apr. 1863. In Dec. 1861, Harvey Frakes enlisted in Co. K 59th Vol. Infantry. He veteranized in 1863, and served until the close of the war, being discharged July 17, 1865. He then returned home and resumed farming. Mr. & Mrs. Frakes have had 10 children, Mary S., Martha E., Sarah C. , Emma L., Ralph E., Anna B., Ola M., Ada L., Sue K., Otto M., all of whom are living
John A. Fravel
John A Fravel was born in Harrison Co. March 13, 1824, and is a son of William & Elizabeth Weaver Fravel, both natives of VA. And from Shenandoah County. They came to Indiana and settled in Harrison Co. in the latter part of 1824, when John A. Fravel, the subject was just an infant. The elder Fravel was a blacksmith by trade, and carried on a shop here for years, and also followed farming to some extent.
John A. Fravel, the subject of this sketch, was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools, which were then not nearly so thorough as they are now. He was married June 26, 1856 to Rebecca Duley a daughter of John & Rebecca Duley, natives of KY. They have had 7 children,
Mary E., William E., John Henry, Charles E., Cora E., James W., and Nora A. The 3 eldest Mary William & John are married. Mr. Fravel owns 160 acres of well improved land.
He raises considerable stock and also devotes some attention to stock raising. He is a member of the United Brethren Church.
John L. Frank
John L. Frank, a farmer and fruit grower of Washington Township, was born in Harrison Co., Aug. 14, 1827, and is a son of George & Catherine Hardsaw Frank, and is a grandson of Martin frank, one of the prominent pioneers of the county, coming in 1812 from Rowan Co. North Carolina, where he was born. His maternal grandfather, John Hardsaw, was a native of the same county in 1809, locating on a farm in Washington township, where he continued to farm till his death in 1858. George frank was born in North Carolina, was hatter by trade, but soon gave up work at his trade after coming to the county, choosing farming as an occupation, and continued up to his death in 1854. he reared a family of 11 children. Julia A., Eliza, William T., Catherine & Ambrose are deceased. Ambrose was a surgeon in 66th Indiana Vols. and was killed before Atlanta Aug. 11, 1864. John L. Andrew J. martin & George W. are the living children. John L. Frank was married to Margaret Brandenburg, a daughter of David Brandenburg, a member of a prominent KY. Family, and settled in Harrison County from that State many years ago.
Mr. & Mrs. Frank have had born to them 15 children of whom 10 are living: J.C. a lawyer at York, Neb. Belle, Charles F. a lawyer at Hollyoke, CA. Abraham L. Wallace, Anna Hannah, Catherine, John L. and Amanda G.
Mr. Frank has held the office of township assessor for 2 terms. He was a member in the original organization of the school board, and served as clerk in that body for 2 consecutive terms, and for the congressional district organization he also served 2 years. From 1865 to 1869, Mr. Frank held the office of township trustee. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. # 529 Lodge New Amsterdam, and a member of the Knights of Honor Lodge #506 at New Amsterdam, and is a member of the M.E. Church. A Republican in politics. His farm contains 160 acres, 60 acres of which being in a fruit orchard.
Col. George W. Friedley
Col. George W. Friedley, Attorney for Louisville, New Albany & Chicago Railroad, was born in Harrison Co. IN. Jan 1, 1840. He was a son of John M. & Sophia Thestund Friedley. His father was a farmer, of German descent, and emigrated from KY to IN., in 1816. George W. Friedley, received his early education in the ordinary schools of Harrison Co. and afterward at the Hartsville University, from which he graduated at the age of 20, after taking a full scientific course. On leaving the University he commenced reading law with Judge John R. Morrledge, of Clorinda, Iowa. After studying 2 years, the war breaking out, he entered the army as a private in Co.K. 4th Iowa Infantry. He was immediately elected first lieutenant and served 1 year, when he was compelled to resign on account of ill health, returning to Indiana. In May 1862, he entered the 67th IN. Infantry, was elected Captain of Co. T, of that regiment, and from that time was actively engaged until the close of the war, serving with distinction throughout. During the 47 days siege at Vicksburg he was at the capture of Jackson. The 13th Army Corps, to which he belonged, was then transferred to the Army of the Gulf. At the close of the Vicksburg campaign the colonel of the regiment was mustered out on account of absence, and Capt. Friedley, although the youngest Captain in the regiment, was elected in his place. The colonel afterward returning, however was reinstated. He was then on the Gulf, in the Red River campaign, at the siege and capture of Fort Gaines and Fort Blakely, the last pitched battle of the war, Apr. 9, 1865; a consequence of the fall was the capture of Mobile. He then, with the regiment, marched to TX, and was mustered out at the close of the war., in August following. He returned to Indiana in the fall, and settled in Bedford in the practice of law, where he remained up to 1884, when he was appointed to his present important position, and has since resided in Lafayette, IN. and has since given his entire time to the road. Col. Friedley was noted as one of the most celebrated commercial lawyers in Indiana. In 1870 he was elected to the lower house of the Legislature and served on the Judiciary Committee of the House during that session. With others, he induced 34 members to resign, thereby frustrating a measure brought by the Democratic Party to defeat Governor Morton. In 1872 he was elected to the senate, over Judge Frank Wilson, deceased, for Monroe and Lawrence counties, designated “The University District” At the special sessions of the Legislature convened in Nov. following, there being a vacancy in the office of Lieutenant Gov., he was elected President of the Senate. He served through a term of 4 years as Senator. In the campaign of 1876 he was chairman of the Republican State Central Committee, and in 1880 delegate at large at the Chicago Convention. In politics he was an ardent Republican. In person he presented an imposing appearance, being 6 feet 3 inches in height and well built and proportioned. He was a ready speaker. He was married Jan 16, 1867 to Miss Edith M. Kelly, daughter of one of the oldest and most prominent merchants of Bedford. They had 4 daughters. Such is the history of one of Indiana’s truly representative men. His death occurred at Bloomington, in Feb. 1889.
Major Wetherford Funk
Major Wetherford Funk is a son of Reuben & Lucinda Spencer Funk and was born Oct. 29, 1849. His father was of German descent, was a farmer by occupation, a man of sterling traits of character and moral worth, always taking advanced ground upon questions of agricultural pursuits and educational questions, was the old VA. stock, his parents having emigrated from that State directly to Indiana in its early history.
His mother , Lucinda Spencer, was of English descent, and a daughter of James Spence Esq. who was prominent in the political history of his county and State, and was a leading farmer of his time.
Hon. M.W. Funk, the subject of this sketch, was reared upon the old homestead in Crawford Co. and spent his early life upon the farm, and engaged in agricultural pursuits and attending common schools of his native county until, at age 17, he began to teach in the common schools. But early in life such tasted was displayed for literary pursuits, that at the age of 18 he quit the farm and used the means procured as teacher to defray the necessary expenses of a collegiate education, and at once entered the State University at Bloomington, and completed in that institution the Select Literary Course and graduated from the Law Department, with honor and distinction in 1875. In debt for part of the money spent in his education, but not discouraged, young Funk was immediately after graduating, admitted to the bar in Corydon, and earnestly entered upon the practice of his chosen profession, that of the Law. By hard work and close application he rose rapidly into public favor and distinction at the bar, until in 1882, he was nominated by the Democratic Party, on sharp competition, for Prosecuting Attorney of the 3rd Judicial Circuit of Indiana and was elected to that office by a landslide majority, and nominated and re-elected in 1884.
In this office Mr. Funk found the time in which to display the gift of oratory, and natural and acquired ability as a lawyer that he is so well known to possess often times in the important criminal cases of that period being pitted alone against the ablest advocates of the district and State but always fearless in the discharge of his official duty, able in debater, resolute and courageous in actions, has been unusually successful in the prosecution of criminals.
When he retired from that office in 1886, he had won for himself a reputation as a lawyer that placed him at once as head of the profession in the district and State, and now holds a high place in their esteem and confidence of all good people.
Mr. Funk is now a member of the bar of the Supreme Court of Indiana and the United States District Court, and enjoys a large and lucrative practice in his own and other district courts of Southern Indiana & Louisville, KY.
Until after the election of 1876, Mr. Funk was in politics a Republican, but what he terms, the Presidential steal of that year caused him to change his politics, and is now and has been since that year a prominent in Democrat councils, always taking an active part in the canvass upon the stump. His name is now the only one prominently mentioned for Judge of the 3rd Judicial Circuit of Indiana, as the successor of Hon. Wm. T. Zenor.
His eminent and admirable qualifications and fitness for this high and honorable position, as well as the fact that he will be nominated and elected, is now generally conceded.
He was married June 18,1876 to Miss Annice C. Wyman, of Martinsville, Washington, Co. Indiana a lady of rare attainments and social worth.
They with their daughter Fannie aged 10 years own and occupy the most elegant and newly furnished residence in the beautiful little town of Corydon, their adopted home
Dr. Zachary T. Funk
Dr. Zachary T. Funk, was born June 29, 1847 in Crawford Co. IN. His parents are Reuben & Lucinda Spencer Funk, were also natives of Crawford Co. the father being a farmer. The family was originally from VA. migrated from that state to KY., thence to Indiana.
Dr. Z.T. funk, after receiving a common school education in the neighborhood in which he was born and reared, attended the State University to junior year, and graduated from Ohio State Normal college, at Lebanon, Ohio, Business College.
He studied medicine under Dr. Hazelwood, of Valeene, Orange County, IN. graduating from KY., school of Medicine in 1876.
He began the practice of his profession in Dubois Co. He removed to Georgetown, Floyd Co. and from there to Harrison Co. in 1877, practicing his profession at Elizabeth for 10 years.
In Nov. 1886, he was elected treasurer of Harrison Co. as a Republican, over Patrick Griffin, by 126 majority, and served in that capacity for 2 years.
He is a member of the I.O.O.F., highly esteemed for his abilities in the medical profession, very popular among the people, and a faithful, competent public official. In 1877, Dr. Funk was united in marriage to Miss Mary Summers, of Georgetown, Floyd Co. IN.
He was a member of Company F., 59th Indiana Infantry, during the war of the Rebellion, enlisting in 1864, and serving until the close of the war. He was in the battle of Kinston, N.C. and in a number of small engagements.
James R. Funk
James R. Funk, lawyer, was born in Crawford Co. In. Dec. 30,1847, and is a son of John J. & Nancy Spencer Funk, the latter a daughter of James Spencer, of South Carolina, and a pioneer of Indiana. The subject’s paternal grandfather, John funk, was a Virginian, and settled in Crawford, Co. in a very early day. James R. Funk, the subject of this sketch, was reared on a farm until 15 years of old, when he enlisted in the 6th Indiana Regiment, as a private. The regiment was known as the “Border Guards” and was out on duty some 6 months. Mr. Funk received a liberal education. After taking a commercial course at Lebanon, Ohio, he entered the State University, at Bloomington, where he spent 2 years, and one year in the law department, from which he graduated in 1876 in law. He began practice at once at Fredricksburg, IN. where he remained about 6 years, then removed to Corydon and formed a co-partnership with Mr. Major W. Funk. They have one of the finest and best furnished law offices in the State of IN., and have a large and lucrative practice. Mr. Funk was married in 1876, to Miss Ella House, of North Lewisburg, Ohio. They have 4 children. He is a member of the Masonic order, and a staunch member of the Republican party.
W.E. Funkhouser, an influential farmer of Heath Township, is a descendant of good old Virginian families. He was born in Harrison Co. Apr. 7, 1850. His parents David & Malinda Wiseman Funkhouser, were both born in Harrison Co, and the father of David Funkhouser was among the earliest settlers in the county, coming as early as 1815 from VA., and here combined farming and blacksmithing as his vocation which he continued till his death in 1829.
David Funkhouser was born in 1819; is one of the leading farmers of the county.
He stands well as a citizen and is a leading member in the Christian Church. His maternal grandfather, William Wiseman, also a Virginian by birth, and located in the county about 1819, he was a leading farmer of his day and a consistent member of the M.E. Church. His death occurred in 1863.
Wm. E. Funkhouser was reared on the farm, educated in the schools of the county, and was married in 1881 to Miss Bessie Frank, daughter of Thomas Frank, a prominent farmer of the county, a member of the M.E. Church. Mr. Frank’s death occurred in 1879. Of this marriage 4 children are living: Frank, Elmer, Belle, and Rose.
Mr. Funkhouser’s farm of 150 acres is located 3 miles northwest of Mauckport, where he resides. He is a member of the Congregational Church, and is also a member of the Knights of Honor.
E.A. Grable was born in Harrison Co. Indiana July 10, 1834, and is a son of David Grable, who was born in VA.,in 1818, came to this county among the earliest settlers. His mother Patie French was also a native of VA., and received but limited educational advantages. All the education David Grable received was at a little log school house close to Corydon. The subject E. A. Grable, was raised on a farm, and has followed it all his life. He pays considerable attention to stock raising, viz: horses, mules hogs. He was married mar. 8, 1861, to Miss L.C. Peters, born and raised in the county, and a daughter of Frederick & Caroline Peters. They have 3 children living, Benjamin H. Joan H. & Ada L.
Mr. Grable owns 170 acres of fine farming land which he has well improved, has a good residence and fine barn. He is an earnest Christian, and both he and his wife are members of the Methodist church. He is an honest and enterprising citizen.
Col. Ben Q. A. Gresham
Col. Ben Q. A. Gresham, a brother of Judge Walter Q. Gresham, and a hero of 2 wars, was born on a farmer near the village of Lanesville, Harrison Co. Indiana Sept. 21, 1826. He grew to manhood on the farm, and received a knowledge of the text books taught in the country schools of that day. In June 1846, he enlisted in Co. I, the 2nd Indiana Infantry, Mexican army, and was elected orderly of his company. He was discharged in June 1847, having enlisted for 1 year. He fought with his regiment at the battle of Beuna Vista. At the expiration of his service in the army he returned home and learned the millwright and carpenter business. In connection with his farming interest he continued in these callings until the breaking out of the rebellion in 1861. in July of that year, he joined Co. B. 3rd Indiana Calvary, as a private soldier. In the following month he was elected first Lieutenant of his company. He arrived with his company at Washington City, Sept. 3, 1861, and was immediately ordered to VA., thence to MD., and subsequently ordered to Mill stone Landing on the Pulaski River, and while there was engaged in picket duty and scouting and was very successful in capturing military stores, cavalry horses, etc. At this point Co. Gresham was promoted to the captaincy of his company. He participated with his company in the battles of Antietam, Chancellorsville, and at the last battle he was severely wounded. After being restored to health he was transferred to the Cavalry Bureau and remained in the department during the Winter’s of 1863, and 1864. Here, in the latter year, he received 2 promotions, major and later Lieutenant Colonel of the 10th IN. Calvary, and was assigned to duty at Pulaski, TN. he was engaged in all battles of that section, and on Dec. 17th of 1864, was again wounded near Franklin TN. His final discharge from the army was at Cincinnati, the day Lincoln was assassinated. Such are the salient pints in Co. Gresham’s military career. He was married to Miss Sarah Harbison, of the county in Oct. 1852, and they have 6 children: Lucy, Annie: Oscar: Amy; Joyce and Jonathan W.
Col. Gresham is the son of William & Sarah Davis Grehsam. His father William Gresham was born in KY. And removed to this county in 1806, and while performing his duties as Sheriff of this county, was killed Feb. 17, 1833. His maternal grandfather was an uncle of Jefferson Davis, ex-President of the Southern Confederacy. Col Gresham has been unable for work since the war, from the wounds he received. He is at present holding office of Township Assessor of his township.
Vachel Hancock was born about 1768 in Virginia, the son of John and Sarah Hancock. The Virginia IGI lists the marriage of John and Sarah in 1767. It also lists a son, John, born about 1770. The family moved to Randolph County, Hilisborough
District, North Carolina sometime between 1772 and 1787.
On 23 September 1787 John Hancock made a will that was probated in March 1788 in Randolph county. The will left one-half of the land to Vachel and the other half to John. Vachel was married to Elizabeth in 1788 in Randolph County. The 1790 Census for Randolph County shows Vachel as a head of house with one young son. Next door was his mother, Sarah, with one male over 16 (evidently John) still at home. The 1800 Census shows both John and Vachel still in Randolph County. By this time Vachel has five sons and two daughters. In 1810 John was still in Randolph County but Vachel was not.
Vachel began acquiring land in the Indiana Territory as early as 1807. The records of the Jeffersonvifle Land Office contain eleven entries between 7 October 1807 and 20 August 1817 that show that he acquired 1,871 acres in Harrison and Clark Counties. When Floyd County was created in 1819 his property became a part of Floyd County. Vachel died intestate about 1819. We have his estate papers. We also have the estate papers of Sarah Hancock, apparently his mother, dated 1821 and also filed in Floyd County.
Vachel and Elizabeth had about ten children. Patsy, born about 1790, was married 8 February 1809 to Caleb Newman in Harrison County, Indiana. This was the first marriage recorded in Hairison County. Caleb Newman later became County Recorder for Floyd County. John, born 1792, married Mary French 7 January 1813. Thomas, born 1795, married Elizabeth Watson 12 June 1818.
In 1819 John Hancock (another John Hancock) and his wife, Jane Skeen, along with their large extended family - some of whom were grown and married - moved from Wilson County, Tennessee to Harrison County, Indiana where they established the Hancock Settlement in Blue River Township. Hancock’s Chapel was built in 1820. This family acquired substantial acreage in Harrison County during the next few years. (Jane Skeen Hancock had two sisters living nearby in Polk Township, Washington County. Martha Skeen was married to Joshua Crow and Sarah Skeen was married to John Wilson.)
No relationship between Vachel and John has been established. The two families were neighbors although Vachel died about the time John arrived in Harrison County. John Hancock was born in 1769 in Bute County (which became Franidin), NC. Vachel was born in 1768 and lived in Randolph County, NC. No connection has been found between these two families in North Carolina or Indiana. It would seem likely that some descendants of both families are still living in Southern Indiana at this time.
(Some Southern Indiana (Harrison County) Pioneers Submitted by Arvil D. Hancock)