HENRY COUNTY, INDIANA
POSTOFFICES AND POSTMASTERS

POSTOFFICES AND POSTMASTERS IN HENRY COUNTY FROM 1823 TO 1905
CLERKS FROM HENRY COUNTY IN THE U. S. RAILWAY MAIL SERVICE.
    The following is a list of postoffices in Henry County, with the names of the postmasters of each, from the time of the organization of the county, down to and including the present time. All offices, having rural routes running from them, have the names of the carriers appended.
    The records of the Postoffice Department at Washington City fail to show
that there was ever a postoffice at Circleville, Fairfield, Needmore, Petersburg. Pumpkintown (West Lebanon), Sharington, Uniontown, \Vest Liberty, Wheeland or Woodville, all old villages or settlements in the county. It is probable that mail was carried to and from most of these places, as an accommodation or neighborhood matter, letters and papers being carried from the nearest established post- office to some point of distribution, central to these settlements.
    There were postoffices at Elizabeth City (Maple Valley), Grant City (Snyder), and Hillsboro (Dan Webster), but named differently because there were already offices in Indiana so named. The rules of the postoffice department permit only one office of the same name in a State.
    There is a tradition in South Franklin Township, that before the office was established at Lewisville (May 27, 1831), there was a postoffice on the county line, a mile and a quarter south of the present town, kept by Garnette Hayden and believed to have been named "Garnette Postoffice." However, as there is no official record of such an office in Washington City, it is probable that mail was carried from established offices to Hayden's house, which was on the main line of stage travel, for distribution in that neighborhood.

ASHLAND
NAME OF POSTMASTER DATE OF APPOINTMENT.
James M. Conner February 26, 1847.
Thomas G. O'Neal January 24, 1848.
Samuel S. Canaday April 11. 1848.
William Millikan, Jr April 16, 1850.
William Millikan, Sr June 23, 1855.
David Millikan September 14, 1855.
Wilson Mullen December 6, 1856.
Lycurgus L. Burr April 1, 1859.
Thomas R. Stanford, Jr June 1, 1862.
John Mullen January 16, 1863.
Wesley Snodgrass April 2, 1866.
Abiatha V. Lamb October 18, 1875.
Charles C. Strong April 17, 1876.
George Witt April 20, 1877.
John C. Pickens October 25, 1878.
John Netz August 30, 1883.
Eli W. Walradth March 7, 1892.
Henry H. Yauky November 8, 1892.
Harvey Kindrick February 1, 1895.
Andrew J. Netz January 15, 1898.


This office was, for many years, a country neighborhood postoffice, located at the respective houses of the successive postmasters, near the present location of the station of Messick. and was called Messick. In 1855, after the railroad was built from New Castle to Richmond, the office was moved to its present site. The original name of the latter place was Mullen's Station, but when the office was moved there, the name was changed to Ashland. While William Millikan, Jr.. was postmaster, and perhaps afterwards, the office was kept in Millikan and Messick's country store, which stood near the site of the present railroad station at Messick. After the Big Four railway was built through the central part of the county, the
postoffice at Messick was re-established near its old site.

BLOUNTSVILLE
NAME OF POSTMASTER. DATE OF APPOINTMENT.
James Powell January 22, 1835.
Abram Lennlngton, Jr March 24, 1835.
Benjamin Hugh June 7, 1837.
Isaiah Templin June 13, 1839.
Thomas Jones February 14, 1840.
John St. John February 4, 1842.
Elisha Bird August 3, 1844.
Joseph S. Plummer May 31, 1848.
Alvln S. Burr April 21, 1849.
William M. Swan May 15. 1849.
Leo O. Hayworth August 4, 1849.
Thomas D. Jones February 6, 1850.
Addison R. A. Thompson July 28, 1851.
Edwin House June 25, 1852.
David Trowbridge February 17, 1859.
Edwin House July 9, 1861.
Mark Walradth June ?, 1865.
Samuel V. Templin May 7, 1867.
James W. Stanley December 16, 1869.
William J. B. Luther December 18, 1871.
Edwin Burch September 2, 1872.
Cephas F. Bartlett Maroh 11. 1875.
Lawrenre G. Wiggins August 5, 1875.
Jesse Cary October 2, 1876.
William Bird July 9, 1877.
Ila T. Lake February 10, 1879.
William J. B. Luther March 8, 1883.
William M. Barr February 1, 1888.
William J. B. Luther January 16, 1889.
James U Templin May 13. 1892.
Seymour Lennington April 5, 1894.
Fannie Freer July 10, 1896.
James L. Templin October 7, 1897.
Alonzo G. Howell October 4, 1901.

There is one rural route running from this office, viz: R. R. No. I. Franklin W. Murray, carrier.

CADIZ
NAME OF POSTMASTER DATE OF APPOINTMENT.
David Hiatt December 18, 1837.
William Brown April 27, 1840.
John Hinshaw February 18, 1842. .
Theodore Shannon March 29, 1842.
Jonas Pickering September 23, 1842.
John P. Cooper March 24, 1843.
John C. Beck February 20, 1846.
Moses McKee February 18, 1850.
Alfred N. Vestal September 10, 1850.
James Beck September 28, 1853.
Jacob Meek January 23, 1855.
Ashbury Showalter August 10, 1859.
Peter H. Julian June 6, 1861.
Ezra Foster March 16, 1863.
Caleb W. Bond September 24. 1863.
Caleb H. Cooper August 28, 1866.
David A. Pickering February 12, 1867.
Jacob Meek February 1, 1870.
Caleb C. Perdieu April 23. 1872.
William J. Meek August 22, 1872.
Caleb W. Bond January 20. 1874.
Joel McCormack March 18. 1875.
Charles A. C. Lewis July 8. 1878.
Ellen M. Laboyteaux July 29, 1885.
Noah McCormack December 26, 1889.
Ellen M. Laboyteaux July 29. 1893.
Nancy M. Alspaugh July 13, 1897.
Charles H. Pierson September 9, 1903..

CHICAGO
NAME OF POSTMASTER DATE OF APPOINTMENT.
William B. Anderson May 11, 1852.
Lev! Hood November 10, 1852.
Robert T. Beckett August 4, 1854.
Discontinued March 24, 1855.

This office was located in Liberty Township, on the main traveled road from
New Castle to Hagerstown, seven miles east of New Castle. There was once a town of this name here, numbering ten or twelve houses, one or two stores and two hotels, but the building of the railroad, a mile north, and the founding of the town of .Millville, about two miles distant, ruined its business. The post office was discontinued as above stated and re-established at Millville, June 7, 1855. The place is now in total decay as a village.

DAN WEBSTER.
NAME OF POSTMASTER. DATE Of APPOINTMENT.
Samuel S. Canaday March 10, 1851.
David Murphy February 18, 1854.
Davis Haynes December 27, 1854.
Abram Frazler . March 20, 1857.
Sampson Jetmore January 29, 1859.
Thomas W. Hood June 25, 1861.
Harriet Fleming November 18, 1863.
Discontinued February 14, 1865.
Re established July 20, 1865.
Eli Frazier July 20, 1865.
Anderson H. Shank June 27, 1866.
Abram Frazier May 7, 1867.
Discontinued June 26, 1867.

This office was located at the old town of Hillsboro. in the southeast corner of Prairie Township, two and a half miles northeast of New Castle. Hillsboro was once a thriving village, but now there is nothing left but a few straggling houses.

DEVON
NAME OF POSTMASTER DATE OF APPOINTMENT.
Andrew J. Batson April 25, 1850.
James C. Peed October 30, 1851.
Isaac Baker June 2, 1853.
Discontinued February 13, 1868.

This office was located in Liberty Township, on the main traveled road, three miles southeast of New Castle, as a country neighborhood postoffice. For the last fifteen years it was kept at the farmhouse of one of Henry County's old settlers, named Isaac Baker. After the construction of the railroad from New Castle to Cambridge City, the office was discontinued.

DUNREITH
NAME OF POSTMASTER. DATE OF APPOINTMENT.
Jordan Pickering July 2, 1861.
Thomas Evans June 1, 1863.
David H. Huddleson October 7, 1867.
John F. Yates March 24, 1870.
William R. Pierce May 3, 1870.
David H. Huddleson October 18, 1876.
Emily Griffin September 24, 1885.
Thomas H. Hamilton December 4, 1888.
John W. Hayes April 5, 1889.
Edwin C. Hoffman May 8, 1893.
Nat P. Vickery December 2. 1895.
Hugh L. English August 23, 1897.
Lula J. Welch September 5, 1901.

This office, when first established, was called Coffin's Station, the railroad station at the place being so named after Emery Dunreith Coffin, the proprietor of the land. In 1865 it was decided to change the name and out of respect to Mr. Coffin's memory, it was called Dunreith. There is one rural route running from this office, viz: R. R. No. i. John W. Hayes, carrier.

GREENSBORO
NAME OF POSTMASTER DATE OF APPOINTMENT.
William Reagan April 18, 1831.
Thomas Reagan December 15, 1832.
Richard Henderson October 3, 1833.
Margaret Henderson November 15, 1842.
James W. Crowley February 9, 1849.
Joel Stephenson June 13, 1849.
Reuben Swain January 22, 1850.
James W. Crowley February 19, 1853.
George Deer May 27, 1857.
Hamilton R. Branson October 31, 1860.
Robert H. Polk July 11, 1861.
Clayton Thornbury March 23, 1864.
Jabez H. Newby September 13, 1871.
John W. Fawcett October 30, 1871.
Willard H. Loring January 7, 1873.
William S. Moffett July 25, 1885.
Leonidas R. Allison May 24. 1889.
Lambert Macy July 30, 1890.
Joseph Jay July 19, 1894.
Lambert Macy June 2. 1898.

HONEY CREEK
NAME OF POSTMASTER DATE OF APPOINTMENT
Zadock G. Tomlinson June 18, 1861.
Jacob Fadely November 3, 1863.
Discontinued February 24, 1864.
Re established July 14, 1864.
Zadock G. Tomlinson July 14, 1864.
Adam Evans June 22, 1871.
Anderson Showalter March 7, 1S78.
George W. Evans October 2, 1878.
John Sharkey July 7. 1879.
Solon Neff December 13, 1881.
William F. Sanders September 28, 1882.
Stephen D. Showalter April 7, 1888.
William P. Sanders December 10, 1889.
John Sharkey March 15, 1894.
William F. Sanders May 29, 1897.
Lertin R. Fadely April 25, 1902.

KENNARD
NAME OF POSTMASTER DATE OF APPOINTMENT
Cyrus C. Hinshaw September 12, 1882.
Imla R. Showalter June 2, 1885.
Claude C. Coffin April 10, 1889.
John F. Danie'.s August 11, 1893.
John A. Reece July 10, 1897.

KNIGHTSTOWN
SAME OF POSTMASTER DATE OF APPOINTMENT.
Joseph McCalley January 30, 1833.
John Mayes November 10, 1833.
Joshua Holland March 25, 1835.
Asa Heaton April 6, 1837..
Fielding L. Goble August 16, 1843.
George Davis March 13, 1849.
William D. M. Wickham . June (i, 1853.
Amos B. Fithian September 19, 1853
John W. White January 30, 1857.
Edwin B. Niles April 16, 1861.
Valentine Steiner August 6, 1866.
John F. Bell October 15, 1875.
John E. Keys February 19, 18S3.
John A. Sample August 16, 1886.
George P. Graf April 10, 1890.
John A. Sample
November 15, 1893.
Wallace K. Deem January 24. 1898.
Edgar H. Cole May 8, 1899.
John W. Lowrey September 21, 1900.
Charles R. Swaim January 30, 1905.

There are four rural routes running from this office,
viz: R. R. No. 1, Percival Risk, carrier; No. 2, Elmer E. Steiner, carrier; No. 3. William P. Foulke, carrier ; No. 4, Samuel P. Hiatt, carrier.

LEWISVILLE
NAME OF POSTMASTER DATE OF APPOINTMENT.
Lewis C. Freeman May 27, 1831.
John Widows June 28, 1834.
William Spencer February 5, 1836.
William L. Houston November 1, 1837.
Samuel Hopper May 30, 1851.
Thomas J. Smith November 20, 1855.
Thomas Nugen August 9, 1856.
Abraham G. Elliott November 24. 1856.
Samuel Hopper January 3, 1857.
Thornton A. Johnson September 18, 1857.
Aram B. Guerin October 4, 1858.
Alfred L. McMeans March 25, 1861.
Jafoez H. Newby January 9, 1864.
Nathan H. Wiles September 20, 1864.
Samuel Hopper
November 3, 1865
Aram B. Guerin January 11, 1867.
Jerry C. Howe August 18, 1876.
William L. Hoiston December 7, 187F.
Jane R. Bollmeyer July 31, 1885.
John F. Camplin April 15, 1889.
Charles C. Brown April 22, 1894.
Luther F. Symons March 15, 1898
John B. Clawson February 20, 1901

There are two rural routes running from this office, viz: R. R. No. 1, John Parker, carrier; No. 2, H. Allen Moore, carrier.

LURAY
NAME OF POSTMASTER DATE OF APPOINTMENT
John Skinner May 15, 1838.
Abraham Boring July 28, 1842.
Thomas Fleming June 7, 1843
James P. Skinner June 4, 1845
Abraham Boring October 24, 1845
Thomas Fleming February 21, 1848
Leonard Harrison November 30, 1848
Jesse L. Williams June 21, 1852
Nathan Branson August 4 1854
Thomas Gough April 20, 1855
Andrew .I. Fleming April 25, 1863
Edward Wet June 10, 1863
Thomas W. Hood February 15, 1864
Benjamin R. Holt July 3, 1865
William Wright February 26, 1867
James S. D. Comstock October 7, 1869
Caldwell C. Johnson February 18, 1876
Obed A. Shaw. July 26, 1877
Franklin B. Miller May 2, 1881
William R. Shaw April 29, 1886
Solomon A. Robe ..November 4. 1889
John A. Powers January 11, 1892
William R. Shaw January 7, 1895
Rufus Williams February 20, 1899
Discontinued June 15, 1901
.