HENRY COUNTY, INDIANA
Organization of the
Several Townships—Population—Assessed Valuation—Taxation—Elections.
At the time of the
assembling of the first Commissioners' Court, June 10, 1822, there were
no civil townships in existence, within it's jurisdiction, and one of
its first cares was to provide a few of these indispensable
dependencies, "with a local habitation and a name.'* After describing,
in fitting language, the metes and bounds of these "territories/' the
Commissioners declared that "from and after the first Saturday in July
next"' they should each "enjoy all the rights and privileges and
jurisdictions which to separate and independent townships do or may
properly belong or appertain."
Whether this idea of an
independent and separate existence and jurisdiction smacks of "State
rights" or not, the reader must judge. The Commissioners were an
authority in the land, in those days, and it is quite safe to conclude
that they fully intended to carve out of the territorial limits of
Henry County several little republics, which were to be fully competent
to manage their domestic institutions in their own way.
The townships thus
provided were four in number, viz.: Dudley, Wayne, Henry, and Prairie.
Dudley and Wayne composed the First Commissioner's District. Henry, the
Second, and Prairie, the Third.
The original boundaries
of Henry County were not identical with those of the present day, and,
as a consequence, the boundaries of the townships lying on the east and
west borders of the county underwent some change when the new
boundaries were fixed by the General Assembly in the early 'thirties. A
township meeting, notwithstanding the size of the township, must have
been a small affair in those times. Three years after, when the
population had probably more than doubled, the whole vote for Governor
was but 366.
Dudley, the first
township called into being by the fiat of the Commissioners, June 11,
1822, began at "the southeast corner of Henry County, of which it is a
part," and running thence west on the county line dividing Henry,
Fayette and Rush counties, about nine and one fourth miles from the
present east line of the county, and was six miles in width. It
consequently contained at least fifty five and one half sections of
land, and comprised all of its present limits and about four fifths of
the present township of Franklin.
At this date, it is
estimated that there were not one hundred and fifty persons residing
within the limits of the township. A round of log rollings, house
raisings, and similar "bees" occupied much of their time, and in
talking with one of these veterans you will very likely be told that
they enjoyed themselves and felt as hopeful, contented, and happy as at
any period since,
A "Friends' Meeting
House," a hewed log edifice, which stood about one mile southeast of
the present site of Hopewell Meeting House, was erected in 1823 or 1824
and was probably the first attempt at church architecture in the
township or in the county. The congregation had been in the habit of
worshiping at the house of William Charles, north of where Hardin's old
tavern stand used to be. An ancient orchard still marks the spot.
A Baptist church, a log
building about eighteen by twenty feet, was erected about one and one
half miles northeast of Daniel Paul's, so near the same time as to
render it difficult to determine which is entitled to the claim of
seniority. This church was used as a school house for a number of years.
A school house soon
followed, with all the elegant appurtenances and appliances of the
times for assisting the "young idea to shoot."
Dudley Township was the
gateway of the county, as three principal thoroughfares from the east
and southeast led through it. It presents, perhaps, less variety of
surface than any other township in the county, being almost entirely
table land, lying on "the divide" between Flatrock and West River, with
perhaps two thirds of its surface finding drainage to the latter. The
passerby of early days regarded it as most unpromisingly wet. Although
very little of it can be termed rolling, it is now seen to be
sufficiently undulating to permit the most complete drainage of almost
every acre, and under improved culture the large average crops and
general fertility stamp it as one of the best bodies of land in the
Dudley is five and a
quarter by six miles in extent, and thus contains aoout 19.000 acres.
According- to the census of 1870, it was then divided into 191 farms,
an average of about 103 acres each: supporting an almost exclusively
rural popula-tion of 1.348 souls, about forty three and one half per
square mile, divided between 268 families and 267
dwellings. Of this number but thirteen were foreigners—less
than one per cent., while the natives of the "Old North State" numbered
126. or nearly ten per cent, of the whole population. The
value of the lands and improvements for 1870 was $542.120.
The town lots and improvements were valued at $6,300. and the personal
property at $249,970. making a total of wealth of $798,390. as shown by
the tax duplicate for 1870. The census of 1900 seems to
have been taken only by counties; at least the author has been unable
to find any subdivision less than the county that would enable him to
set out for com-parisons, all of the items mentioned above, as taken
from the census of 1870: and what is true of Dudley, is true of all the
other townships following. The only items of general
interest that can be found relating to Dudley and the twelve townships
that follow, are those regarding the population, viz.: population,
according to the census of 1890, including Straughn. incorporated and
New Lisbon not incorporated, 1,395 ! census of 1900, 1,359: a loss of
thirty six in ten years.
The tax duplicate for
1904. the township and towns combined, shows the following: value of
lands, $637,600; value of improvements, $111,850: total, $749,450:
value of lots. $14,410; value of improvements, $27,560; total, $41,970;
value of personal property of all kinds, $432,240; value of railroad
property, in-cluding steam and electric lines, $370,720; total value of
taxables of all kinds, $1,594,380; less mortgage exemptions, $40,090;
leaving the net value of taxables for the year named, $1,554,290.
Total taxes levied on the
duplicate for the year 1904, township, Straughn, incorporated, and New
Lisbon, not incorporated, combined, which taxes are as follows,
viz.:—State tax, for benevolent institutions, State debt sinking fund,
State school, State educational institutions, free gravel road repairs,
County tax, local tuition, special school, road, township, bridge,
court house, and corporation, this last being confined to the
corporation of Straughn, $20,254.76. Total polls, being a specified
head tax on each male person between the ages of twenty one and fifty,
218: tax on each, distributed through different funds, $2.00; total
polls in Straughn, 35: tax on each, $2.00.
From the foregoing, it
will be seen that the population of Dudley Township has not been
subject to much change since the census of 1870. But a comparison
between the tax duplicates of 1870 and 1904, exhibits the fact that the
taxable property of Dudley has nearly doubled during that period.
Mortgage exemption is
allowed under the law which became effective March 4, 1899. Under this
law, an exemption for mortgage on real estate, not in excess of the sum
of $700 is allowed, and then only provided the real estate is valued
for taxation at twice the sum of the mortgage exemption. Therefore, on
all real estate valued for taxation at less than $1400, the mortgage
exemption could not be in excess of one half the value of the property.
The first election was
ordered to be held at the house of Daniel JPaul, on Saturday, July 6th.
1822, for the purpose of electing one Justice of the Peace, and William
McKimmey was appointed Inspector. William McKimmey and Garnette Hayden
were appointed first Overseers of the Poor for Dudley Township, and
Richard Pearson and Robert Thompson ''Fence-viewers." The elections
were afterwards held at Benjamin Strattan's for a number of years:
about 1840. at Daniel Reynolds: then at New Lisbon. Soon two polls were
opened—one at New Lisbon, and the other near Straughn's. Again the
polls were united and held at James Macy's. At this time, there are two
polls, one at New Lisbon, and the other at Straughn. The vote at the
general election, held Tuesday, Novem-ber 8, 1904, based on the returns
for the vote cast for Secretary of State, was: New Lisbon precinct,
200; Straughn precinct, 220; total, 420. The vote set out in the twelve
townships following, is for the same election and based on the same
Today, instead of the
mere "trace," the "See trail." the blazed bridle path, winding around
through the thickets, around or over logs, through "slashes," or high
grass and stinging nettles, high as a man's shoulders, so well
remembered by the "oldest inhabitant," or over miles and miles of
"corduroy road," of which "internal improvements" Dudley could, fifty
or sixty years ago, vie with the world, the township has nearly thirty
miles of fine turnpike, splendid and well drained farms and farm houses
that equal the best.
The second grand division
named in order, on the public records, was to be known and designated
by the name and style of Wayne Township. It was originally
six miles from north to south, and eleven in length from east to west,
including all that territory west of Dudlev. It thus included in its
fair domain about 42,000 acres of very valuable land, much of it today
the most valuable in the county. Its first boundaries included one
fifth of the present township of Franklin, all of Spiceland, and one
sixth of Greensboro. Although thrice shorn of a portion of its
"independent jurisdiction," its present area is a trifle in excess of
thirty three square miles.
Wayne township had, at
the elate of its organization, from thirty to forty families, though
the very choice lands, fine springs, and abundant water power of Blue
River, Buck and Montgomery creeks, marked it for rapid settlement. A
village was projected at the mouth of Montgomery Creek, on the county
line, as well as "old State road," at once and known as West Liberty.
This became the emporium of trade for the region round about, and
rejoiced in all the metropolitan splendors of a "one-eyed grocery" and
dry goods store kept by Aaron Maxwell. This "Chamber of Commerce/'' in
1822, consisted of a very indifferent log cabin, with a wide fire
place, flanked on one side by a rude table, where Mrs. Maxwell
compounded "red bread." and on the other by a barrel of whisky and
about as many bolts of calico, etc., as could be piled upon a chair.
Raccoon pelts seem to
have been the principal circulating medium, and several years
afterward, when the stimulus of sharp competition had taxed the
energies of the merchant princes of the day. the old ladies were at
times under the necessity of sending by the mail boy for a little tea
or other luxury, and young ladies in quest of a bridal trousseau would
mount their palfreys and make a day's journey to Cormersville for the
The Methodists had
preaching at West Liberty, in a very early day. perhaps as early as
1823, Reverend Constant Bliss Jones officiating. The preaching was held
at Mr. Hatton's private house for some time. Tones was succeeded by
Reverend Mr. Brown, who seems to have resided at West Liberty. Mrs.
Eliza Jones (then Miss Cary.) taught a school, in 1825 and 1826. and
was the first female teacher in those parts. She, with Mrs. Peggy
Jones, the minister's wife, organized the first Sunday school in the
township, perhaps in the county.
At the first meeting of
the Board of Commissioners, an election was ordered to be held at the
house of Joseph Watts. July 6th, for the purpose of electing the one
Justice of the Peace for the township. Abraham Heaton was
appointed Inspector, and seems to have been elected the first
Justice. In August, Elijah McCray and E. Harden were
appointed constables of Wayne Township, until the February term, next
in course. In November, Daniel Priddy was also appointed
constable. Ebenezer Goble and Samuel Furgason were
appointed Overseers of the Poor, and Daniel Heaton, Shaphat McCray, and
Jacob Parkhurst first "Fence-viewers in and for Wayne Township," and
Abraham Heaton was also appointed Superintendent of the school sections
in Wayne Township. The elections in this township were afterward
held at Prudence Jackson's house, till 1825: changed to Solomon
Byrket's, in 1827: then to Jacob Parkhurst's, then to Raysville and
Knightstown alternately, and soon afterward fixed permanently at
Abraham Heaton seems to
have had, at this early day, a mill erected at the mouth of Buck Creek,
a few rods south of what has for manv vears been known as the "White
Mill." John Anderson, afterward "Judge Anderson," then a fresh
arrival, dug the 'race and, receiving $100 for the same, walked to
Brookville and entered a part of the present site of Raysville.
Immediately after the
organization of the township was effected, the Commissioners ordered
the location of a road "to commence at the town of New Castle, and from
thence the nearest and best way to Abraham Heaton's mills, and from
thence to the county line, where sections thirty three and thirty four
corner in township sixteen and range nine, on the line dividing fifteen
and sixteen." The terminus was West Liberty, and the route selected was
the river route from New Castle via Teas' mill, the stone quarry, and
Elm Grove. This was the second ordered in the county, the first being
from New Castle, via John Baker's and David Thompson's, on Symons
Creek, to the county line, on a direct course, to Shook's Mill, in
Wayne County, which shows of what importance the opening of the
"Cracker line" was to the early settlements. Not to be wondered at
either, since "going to mill" required about two to four days out of
In 1870, Wayne was the
most populous and wealthy townships of the county, but now Henry
Township holds that rank, Wayne being second. According to the census
of 1870, its area was divided into 206 farms; an average of about 103
acres each, and had a population of 3.334, or about 100 per square
mile. The value of lands and improvements for 1870 was $664,710; of
town lots and impromevents, $433,120; while personal property footed up
to the snug little sum of $682,540, making a total of $1,780,370.
Something more than one half its population was then to be found in
Knightstown, Raysville, and Grant and Elizabeth cities, 330 of its 680
families residing in Knightstown alone. Dudley and Wayne, with the
townships carved out of them, constitute the First Commissioner's
District, as they always have and do now.
The population of Wayne
Township, according to the census of 1890, including Knightstown
incorporated, Raysville, Grant City, and Elizabeth City, not
incorporated, was 3,333; census of 1900, 3.370.
The tax duplicate for
1904, township and towns combined, shows the following: Value of lands,
$694,530; value of improvements, $119,560; total, $814,090; value of
lots, $172,260; value of improvements $357,570; total, $529,830; value
of personal property of all kinds, $824,850; value of railroad property
including steam and electric lines, $445,020; total value of taxables
of all kinds, $2,613,790; less mortgage exemptions, $27,920; leaving
net value of taxables for the year named $2,585,870. A comparison of
the census figures above set forth, shows that Wayne like Dudley
Township, has had a very steady population since 1870.
Total taxes levied on
duplicate for the year 1904, township and Knightstown incorporated and
Raysville, Grant City, and Elizabeth City, not incorporated, combined,
which taxes are all in items set out in Dudley Township, with the
addition of township poor, corporation bond, lighting streets, school
library and water works, the last four being confined to Knightstown
corporation, $50,879.69. Total polls in Wayne Township, 226; tax on
each, $2.25; total polls in Knightstown corporation, 283; tax on each,
Formerly, there were
voting precincts at Knightstown, Raysville, Grant City, Elizabeth City
and perhaps at other points in the township, but for the general
election, held November 8, 1904, the total vote was cast at six
precincts, all in Knightstown. Perhaps one of them was east of Blue
River, at Raysville. The vote was, first precinct, 166; second
precinct, 134; third precinct, 161; fourth pre-cinct, 154; fifth
precinct, 181; sixth precinct, 156; total, 952. HENRY TOWNSHIP. Henry,
the third township, in the "order of their going/' upon the records,
was also called up Tune, 1822, and was a strip of territory six miles
wide, extending quite across the county from east to west, and
including what is now Liberty, Henry, three fifths of Harrison, and
nearly all of Greensboro township. This constituted the Second
Commissioner's District. It at first contained 118 square
miles, or over 75,000 acres.
Henry Township now
contains thirty-six square miles, and is nearly the geographical center
of the county, and is the only one in the county in which the
Congressional is identical with the civil township. Ten years after the
organization of the county, this township had not over 500 inhabitants,
while in 1870 it numbered over 2.800. nearly one-half of whom lived in
the "rural districts." It contained 135 farms of near 160 acres each,
and maintained a population of 78 to the square mile. There were 592
families, 67 colored persons, 121 of foreign birth, and 152 natives of
old Xorth Carolina, in the township. The population of Henry Township,
according to the census of 1890. including New Castle incorporated, was
4.009: census of 1900, 4,682.
Blue River, dividing the
township nearly in the center, is too sluggish to furnish good water
power for a mill within the limits of the township. Duck Creek skirts
through the northwest corner of the township, and Flatrock through the
southeast corner. The table lands between these streams are nearly one
hundred feet above the bed of Blue River, and, although there is
perhaps as much rolling land in this township as any in the county,
there is very little so rolling as to merit the term broken, or too
much so to admit of culture. Repeated efforts at ditching and
straightening the channel of Blue River have completely redeemed to
cultivation the marshy bottom lands which are of inexhaustable
The county seat being
located in Henry Township would of itself (even in the absence of
natural advantages), have secured to this township an important
position in the county, both financially and politically. The value of
the real and personal property in the county, by the assessment of
1870. was shown to be: Lands and improvements, $689,350; lots and
improvements. $300,870: personal property, $609,400, making a snug
total of $1,599,620.
The tax duplicate for
1904. the township and New Castle, incorporated, combined, shows the
following: value of lands, $912,810: value of improvements, $230,020:
total, $1,142,830; value of lots. S677.040: value of improvements.
S611-130: total, $1,288,170: value of personal property of all kinds,
$1.182.720: railroad property including steam and electric lines.
$403,890: total value of taxables of all kinds, $4,017,610; less
mortgage exemptions, S155.340; total. $3,862,270. Total taxes levied on
duplicate for the year 1904, township and New Castle, incorporated,
combined, which taxes include all items set forth in Dudley Township
with the addition of the township poor tax, corporation, corporation
bond, lighting streets, streets, school library, and cemetery, all of
which, except township poor tax, are confined to New Castle
corporation: total, $82,864.85. Total polls in Henry Township, 202;
tax, $2.50 each; New- Castle corporation, 912; tax, $2.50 each.
In 1904, the vote of the
whole township cast at six precincts, all in New Castle, was as
follows: first precinct, 268; second, 287; third, 340; fourth, 200;
fifth, 268; sixth, 330; total, 1,693. This total vote indicates a
marked increase in the population of Henry Township for 1904 as
compared with the census of 1900. In the four years intervening, the
population was largely increased by the location of many new
manufacturing establishments in New Castle.
The first election was
held at the house of Samuel Batson; Charles Jamison, Inspector. Asahel
Woodard, Micajah Chamness, and Thomas Watkins were appointed
Fence-viewers for Henry Township. William Shannon and Samuel Batson
were elected first Justices of Peace.
The fourth of the
original townships, included all the territory lying north of Henry,
and was eight miles in width and nearly twenty in length, thus giving
it an area of nearly 160 square miles or about 105,000 acres. Within
its ample limits were all of the present townships of Blue River, Stony
Creek, Prairie, Jefferson, Fall Creek, and about two fifths of Harrison.
In spite of the mutations
which have since overtaken it, the township re-mains five miles in
width by eight in length, thus containing over 25,000 acres, which were
divided, according to the census of 1870, into 201 farms, averaging
about 122 acres each.
The population of Prairie
Township according to the census of 1890, including Luray, Springport,
Mount Summit, and Hillsboro, not incorporated, was 1,663; census of
1900, 1,662, thus showing that the township, in ten years, lost one
Prairie contains four
villages, viz.: Luray, Springport, Mount Summit and Hillsboro. The
value of farms and improvements for the year 1870, was $559,210; of
town lots and improvements, $10,610; of personal property $258,650;
making a total for the township, of $828,470. The tax duplicate for
1904, the township and towns combined, shows the following value of
land. $686,730: value of improvements, $70,090; total, $756,820: value
of lots, $6,900; value of improvements, $25,470; total, $32,370; value
of personal property of all kinds, 8287,290: yalue of railroad
property, no electric lines, $222,320; total value of taxables of all
kinds, $1,298,800; less mortgage exemptions, $45,700; leaving net value
of tax-ables for the year named, $1,253,100. "Total taxes levied on the
tax duplicate for 1904, township and towns combined, which taxes
include all items enumerated in Dudley Township, except corporation
tax, there being no incorporated town in Prairie, $18,750.44; total
polls, 293; tax on each, $2.50.
This is a
remarkable township in many respects. Situated as it is, on the
"divide" between White and Blue Rivers, about one half its surface
finds drainage to the north and the remainder southward, and although
thus situated on the "water shed," nearly one*sixth of its surface
consists of low, wet meadows, from fifty to eighty feet below the
general level of the table lands. It is from these meadows or prairies
that the township takes its name. These "flowery leas" seem
ever to have been coveted, although within the memory of the oldest
inhabitant large portions of them were so-flooded with water much of
the year as to be chieflv valuable as the resort of waterfowl. Todav,
however, under an extensive system of drainage, even the wettest
portions of these prairies have been thoroughly redeemed, making farms
which for inexhaustible fertility cannot be surpassed.
The first election for
Justice of Peace was held July 6, 1822. at the house of Absalom Harvey;
William Harvey, Inspector. William Harvey and Abijah Cane were
appointed first Overseers of the Poor, and Abraham Harvey, James
Massey, and Robert Gordon, Fence-viewers "in and for said township." In
1826, the place of holding elections was changed to Sampson Smith's,
afterward to Enoch Dent's, and again to Ezekiel T. Hickman's, where it
remained for many years, but, in 1846, was changed to James Harvey's.
Later, there were several changes in the voting place, and now there
are two voting places, viz.: south precinct, Mount Summit; north
precinct, Springport. Vote, 1904, south precinct, 209; north precinct,
232; total, 441.
The first school house in
the township was built on Shubal Julian's land, better known of late as
the "Shively farm," perhaps in 1824 or 1825. It was a small affair,
with split saplings for seats, and a fire-place across the entire end.
The late Dr. Luther W.
Hess, of Cadiz, once a State Senator, and ex-County Treasurer, and
Emsley Julian, graduated from this school. Milton Wayman, the last
Probate Judge for Henry County, was the teacher.
Liberty was the fifth
township organized, this important ceremony bearing date of February
12, 1822. It was a clipping from the east end of Henry Township, and,
according to the metes and bounds prescribed, it was at first one mile
less in extent from east to west than at present. It is now six miles
wide by six and three fourths in length, thus embracing about forty
square miles, mostlv table land, and of a very fine quality generally.
Flatrock, rising in Blue River Township, enters the township near the
middle of its northern boundary, passing out near the southwest corner.
The valley of this stream is so slightly depressed as to form nothing
worthy to be called bluffs, and, although too sluggish to be of much
value for hydraulic purposes, it, with its small tributaries, seems in
some way connected with the drainage and fertility of a wide belt of
superb farming lands. The two Symons creeks, heretofore mentioned, find
their sources in Liberty Township, and now furnish ample drainage to
many sections of fine land that, doubtless, in the early days of Henry
County, passed- for very wet land.
The aggregate value of
the farms and improvements of Liberty Township exceeds that of the
farms of any other township of the county, except Henry, and the
evidence of thrift and "farming for profit7' are nowhere more generally
visible than in Liberty Township. Four villages have been projected in
the township— Millville, Ashland, Petersburg, and Chicago, though it is
presumed that the proprietors of the two last named, if still living,
have long since abandoned the hope of seeing them outstrip their
namesakes. Under the old turnpike law, many miles of turnpike sprang
into existence, and now the people of this township rejoice in the
advantage of traveling to almost any point on good roads.
According to the census
of 1870, the population numbered 1.868, being almost exclusively rural.
Its 24,000 acres were then divided into 203 farms, an average of about
120 acres each. The population then numbered about 49 to the square
mile, being divided between 376 families. There were then 6 persons of
color. 19 foreigners. 64 North Carolinians, and 32 Virginians, within
the township. The population of Liberty Township, township and towns
combined, according to the census of 1890, was 1.538; census of 1900,
1,416; showing a loss in ten years of more than one hundred, which is
explained by the purchase and consolidation of small farms into large
The wealth of the
township was estimated for the purpose of taxation, in 1870, as
follows: farms and improvements. $712,430; town lots and improvements.
$5,950; personal property, $325410; total valuation. $1,043,790. The
tax duplicate for the year 1904, the township and towns combined, shows
the following, viz.: value of lands, $843,720: value of improvements.
$104,130; total. $947,850: value of lots. $970: value of improvements,
$3,120: total, $4,090: value of personal property of all kinds.
$301,607: value of railroad property, no electric lines. $244,100:
total value of taxables of all kinds. $1,497.647: less mortgage
exemptions. $42,410; leaving net value of taxables for year named,
$1,455,237. Total taxes levied on the tax duplicate for the year 1904,
the township and towns combined, which taxes include all items
enumerated in Dudley Township, except corporation tax, there being no
incorporated town in Liberty Township, $20.854.80: total polls. 241;
tax on each. S2.
The first election was
held at the house of Ezekiel Leavell. on the first Saturday in May.
1823. furture election of two Justices of the Peace. Ezekiel Leavell
was Inspector. John Smith was made Supervisor of all the roads in the
township. Jacob Thorp and Cyrus Cotton were appointed Overseers of the
Poor. In 1825, the elections were ordered to be held at the house of
Samuel D. Wells, and continued to be held at his house for a number of
years. After the railroad was built through the township and the town
of Millville established, the voting place was moved to that town.
There are now two voting precincts in Liberty, one at Millville. the
other at Ashland. Vote. 1904. East Liberty precinct. Millville. 209;
West Liberty precinct. Ashland, 164; total, 373.
STONY CREEK TOWNSHIP.
This township, the next
in order of organization, was established November 11, 1828. By its
creation Prairie Township lost about one third of its "independent
jurisdiction.'' as Stony Creek was bounded on the west by the range
line separating ranges ten and eleven, and extended to the eastern
boundary of the county, including all north of Liberty Township, which
made it a region of no small consequence. It was at first eight miles
from north to south, six miles wide on the north, and about six and
three fourths on its south line, and had in its ample area about forty
nine and one half sections of land. A tier of eight sections has since
been re-annexed to Prairie to compensate, no doubt, in a measure, for
the loss of more than two townships on the west. Blue River Township
has also been carved out of Stony Creek, thus reducing it in size to
barely twenty square miles, about two fifths of its primal area, and
leaving it the smallest of the townships.
The township is fittingly
named from a creek, which, rising near, runs nearly parallel with, its
southern border, then runs north across the township and finally into
White River. The immense quantities of bowlders or "traveled stones"
scattered over some of the highest ridges and points in the township
must not only arrest the attention and excite the curiosity of the
observer, but at once obviate the necessity of inquiry as to the
This township presents,
perhaps, a greater variety of surface and soil than any other equal
area in the county, and while there was every variety of timber to be
found in the county, there was a larger proportion of oak here than
elsewhere, and less poplar, ash and walnut.
There is a portion of two
or more prairies in this township, similar to those in Prairie. The
bottom lands are doubtless equal to any in the county, while the higher
lands, which the casual observer would perhaps, pronounce thin or poor,
not only produce abundant crops of the smaller grains, but Indian corn
of more than average size. Blountsville and Rogersville are the only
villages. The population, according to the census of 1870, was 934;
divided between 197 families. There were then 13 colored persons, 10
foreigners, 21 natives of North Carolina, and 35 Virginians in the
township. There were 118 farms, averaging about 109 acres each.
The population of Stony
Creek Township, according to the census of 1890. including Blountsville
and Rogersville. was 1.088: the census of 1900 shows a less population,
the number being 962. Since then, the Chicago. Cincinnati and
Louisville Railroad has been built through the township, and now no
doubt the township exhibits a marked increase over that of 1900.
The assessed value of
farms and improvements for 1870 was $178,940: of town lots. $6,500: and
of personal. Si 12.330: making a total of S297.770. The tax duplicate
for the .year 1904. township and towns combined, shows the following:
value'of lands, $333,010: value of improvements. $43,910: total.
$376,920: value of lots, $3,480: value of improvements. S10.140: total,
$13,620; value of personal property of all kinds, $141,740: value of
railroad property, no electric lines, $30, 140: total value of taxables
of all kinds. $562,420: less mortgage exemptions. $25.-180: leaving net
value of taxables for the year named. $537,240. Total taxes levied on
the duplicate for the year 1904. township and towns combined, which
taxes include all items enumerated in Dudley Township except
corporation tax. there being no incorporated town in Stony Creek
Township. $9.383.63: total polls. 179; tax on each. $2.00.
The first election was
held at the house of Thomas Hobson. Jr.. December 20. 1828. for the
purpose of electing one Justice of the Peace: William Wyatt. Inspector.
There were formerly two voting precincts, but this was in the days of
bad roads, and want of suitable and satisfactory conveyances. Now.
since the days of free gravel roads and rubber tired buggies, the two
precincts have been consolidated into one. at Blountsville. Vote.
1904. one precinct. Blountsville. 237.
and yet with this ample
domain the township could only muster twenty nine votes at an exciting
election, in 1830, and of these but three were Whig votes, yet now the
township is largely Republican. Since the organization of the township
a strip two miles in width has been given to Harrison Township, and two
miles on the east of Jefferson, leaving the township six miles in
length, from north to south, and five miles in width.
Fall Creek is a well
watered and very fertile township, and well improved farms and good
buildings indicate that the husbandman is being well repaid for his
labors. The creek from which the township takes its name, rising near
the northeast corner, and meandering through, leaves the township, near
the southwest corner. It once had sufficient fall to furnish valuable
water power. Deer Creek, a tributary, rising in Harrison Township, near
Cadiz, emptying into Fall Creek, about one and one-half miles north of
Mechanicsburg. also furnished fair water power. A "corn cracker" was
erected on this stream, about the year 1826. Benjamin Franklin, then a
boy, afterward a noted preacher, is said to have dug the race.
This was the first mill in that part of Henry County.
A very rude log school
house, with split pole benches and greased paper windows, did service
in the Keesling neighborhood near the present site of Mechanicsburg, as
late as 1831 or 1832. Robert Price was the first teacher. Lewis Swain
was afterwards principal of this institution. Some of the earlier
settlers can remember attending, the log rollings every day for weeks
Mechanicsburg, and Honey Creek, are the towns and villages of the
township. The total population of the township, according to the census
of 1870, was 2,004, or about 66 to the square mile. Of these 31 were
foreigners, 36 North Carolinians, 321 Virginians, and 4 colored
persons. There were 197 families living in the town and villages and
209 in the country. The population of Fall Creek Township, according to
the census of 1.890, including Middletown, Mechanicsburg and Honey
Creek, was 2.320: census of 1900, 3,311. the principal gain arising
from the increase of the population of Middletown.
The wealth of the
township, in 1870, for the purpose of taxation, was as follows: farms,
$522,270; town lots, $72,650: personal property. $412,280: total,
The tax duplicate for the
year 1904, township, town and villages combined, shows the following:
value of lands, $659,780; value of improvements, $124,090; total,
$783,870; value of lots, $79,600; value of improvements, $127,410:
total. $207,010: value of personal property of all kinds, $476,850:
value of railroad property including steam and electric lines,
incomplete, $171,810: total value of taxables of all kinds, $1,639,540;
less mortgage exemptions, $37,410. leaving a net value of taxables for
the year named, $1,602,130. Total taxes levied on the duplicate for the
year 1904, township, town, and villages combined, which taxes include
all items enumerated in Dudley Township with the addition of township
poor, corporation, bond, lighting streets, and streets, the last named
three, being confined to Middletown, $28,404.57. Total polls, the
township, 235; tax, $2.50. each. Total polls, Middletown, 241; tax on
All elections were
ordered to be held at the house of Abraham Thomas, but in 1832, it was
ordered that they thereafter be held at Middletown. Elections are now
held at Middletown, Mechanicsburg, and Henry Creek. Vote, 1904,
Middletown, precinct "A," 118; "B," 163; "C" 105; "D,"*i27;
Mechanicsburg, 129; Honey Creek, 123; total, 765.
Franklin Township was
organized on January 5, 1830. It was constructed out of Dudley and
Wayne townships, and, from the order making it a township, we learn
that the west line was about three fourths of a mile west of the
village of Ogden, and continued north to the line dividing townships
sixteen and seventeen, which would make the northwest corner of
Franklin as it then existed, about one mile west of the Masonic
Cemetery, which joins Greensboro on the south. From this point the
northern boundary ran east eight miles, or within three fourths of a
mile of the present eastern limits of the township. This gave it
jurisdiction over nearly all its present territory, all of Spiceland. a
small fraction of Wayne (just north of the "Stone Quarry Mill"), and
three sections now claimed by Greensboro. In the following year, a
change was made in the western boundary, which gave Wavne another tier
of sections and made the northwest corner of Franklin Township, just
about the location of the Masonic Cemetery, and perhaps, within the
corporate limits of Greensboro.
All elections were
ordered to be held at the house of Joseph Copeland. John Copeland was
appointed Inspector, and Joseph Kellum, Lister; and the first election
was ordered on the first Saturday in February. 1830. Upon the setting
up of Spiceland Township, in 1842, Franklin, which underwent another
mutation, was given a slice off of Dudley, and was then contracted to
its present limits of five miles in width, from east to west, by six
miles in length.
Flatrock "drags its slow
length along" near the middle of the township, and. although at two or
three points it was compelled to do duty as a mill stream, it never
established much of a character for energy. It. however, is the natural
drain of a remarkably fertile bodv of land. Buck Creek drains the
northwest corner of the township.
The present area of the
township is about 17,200 acres, which according to the census of 1870.
was then divided into 151 farms, an average of about 114 acres each.
Lewisville, the only village in the township, then contained 86
families, while 213 families resided in the country. Of the population
in 1870. 42 were foreigners. 13 colored, 124 North Carolinians, and 29
Virginians; total population of township for 1870, 1,696: population
according to the census of town and township combined, for 1890, 1.330:
census of 1900, 1,137; loss in ten years 193.. How-ever, the recent
improvement in Lewisville, must make a gain in the population of the
township for 1905. more than equal to the loss as stated. The loss in
popula-tion since 1870 must be accounted for in Franklin Township for
reasons given in other similar cases, viz.: the consolidation of small
farms into large ones.
The wealth of the
township. 1870, is reported thus: farms and improvements, $500.750;
town lots and improvements, $42,960: personal property. $332.260:
The tax duplicate for the
year 1904, township and Lewisville combined, shows the following: value
of lands. $591,920: value of improvements. $88,720: total, $680,640;
value of lots, $36,400; value of improvements. $29,330; total. 65.730;
value of personal property of all kinds, $368,870; value of railroad
property, including" steam and electric lines, $325,240; total value of
taxables of all kinds, $1,440,480; less mortgage exemptions, $25,290;
leaving net value of taxables for the year named, $1,415,190. Total
taxes levied on the duplicate for the year 1904, township and
Lewisville incorporated, combined, which taxes include all items
enumerated in Dudley Township with addition of township poor, and
corporation bond tax for Lewisville corporation, $20,626.66- Total
polls in township, 136; tax, $1.50 each; total polls in Lewisville, 72;
tax, $2.00 each. Formerly there was but one voting precinct in the
township. Now there are two, both in Lewisville. Vote for 1904, West
Franklin precinct, 172; East Franklin precinct, 162; total, 334.
Greensboro Township, so
named from an ancient village of North Carolina, was organized
September 7, 1831. It was at first described as "all that part of the
territory of Henry Township west of the range line dividing nine and
ten." This made it seven miles from east to west, and six miles from
north to south, which would include nearly all of the present area of
the township and three fifths of Harrison. In 1838, one half its
territory was given to Harrison, and a small addition —four square
miles—was made to it, taken from the townships of Wayne and Franklin.
This change removed the township line one mile south from the village
of Greensboro, and left the township with an area of twenty five square
miles, or about 16,000 acres, divided, according to the census of 1870.
into 118 farms; an average of about 135 acres each.
Greensboro and Woodville
(now extinct), on the line between Harrison and Greensboro Townships,
were the only villages. Of the 315 families in 1870 in the township, 70
lived in Greensboro. The population of the township numbered 1490. Of
these six were reported of foreign birth; 81 colored; 221 were North
Carolinians ; and 52 were natives of Virginia. Population according to
the census of 1890: Greensboro, Kennard, and Shirley, in Henry County,
combined. 1,612: census for 1900, 1,658.
The tax duplicate for the
year 1904, township and towns combined, shows as follows: value of
lands, $514,320; value of improvements, $72,760; total, $587,080; value
of lots, $16,610; value of improvements, $65,820; total, S82.430; value
of personal property of all kinds, $269,850: value of railroad
property, no electric lines, $137,020; total value of taxables of all
kinds, $1,076,380; less mortgage exemptions, $32,330; leaving net value
of taxables for the year named, $1,044,050.
Greensboro is a well
watered and fertile township. Blue River, skirting through the
southeast corner, and Duck Creek, running across the eastern end,
furnish fine water power. Much of the land along these water courses is
quite rolling and there are numerous knolls, supplied with excellent
gravel. Montgomery Creek, crossing the township near the middle, and
Six-mile Creek rising in, and running across, the western part of the
township, made the complete drainage of a large and fertile portion of
the township (originally counted as wet), a matter of no great
The assessed value of
Greensboro Township, tax duplicate of 1870, was: farms, $364,850; town
lots, $34,190; personal, $196,330: total, $595,370. Total taxes levied
on the duplicate for the year 1904. township and towns combined, which
taxes include all items enumerated in Dudley township with the addition
of corporation tax. Kennard, Shirley, and Greensboro, and corporation
bond, Kennard, and street tax. Shirley; total. $19,259.59. Total polls
in township. 154: tax, $3.00 each; Greensboro corporation, 49; tax,
$2.50 each: Kennard, 97: tax. $3.00 each; Shirley, 41; tax, S3.50 each.
For many years and until
after the building of the Big Four railroad across the northern part of
the township, all elections were held in the village of Greensboro. The
first election in the township, was held on the fourth Saturday in
September, 1831, and Thomas Reagan was made the first .inspector of
elections. There are now two voting precincts, viz.: Greensboro, and
Kennard. all voters living at Shirley, Henry County, voting at Kennard.
Vote for 1904. east precinct. Greensboro. 192: west precinct. Kennard.
302: total, 494.
The large and important township of Harrison was formed out of the
north half of Greensboro and two tiers of sections off the south side
of Fall Creek. November 7, 1838. and all elections were ordered to be
held at Cadiz.
The general aspect of
this township, which is five miles from north to south and seven miles
from east to west, is that of high gently undulating table land, with
considerable portions formerly inclined to be wet, but very fertile
under a system of intelligent drainage, now practically
complete. A larger number of small streams find their head
waters in this than any other township of the county. A small portion
of the northeast corner of the township finds drainage into Bell Creek,
and runs north, and near the same spot rises Honey Creek, also running
north. Deer Creek, rising near the center of the township, also runs
north by west, and empties into Fall Creek near Mechanicsburg. while
two other small tributaries of Fall Creek have their source in the
north and northwest portions of the township, and in the central and
western portions. Sugar Creek takes its rise and runs wrest. while
Montgomery Creek rises in the south part and runs south, and the west
fork of Duck Creek rising near Cadiz, also runs south, while the
principal branch of that creek, with some small tributaries, pretty
effectually drains the eastern end of the township. A little
south and west of Cadiz can doubtless be found some of the highest land
in the western part of the county. Cadiz, and a part of
Woodville. now extinct, are the only villages of the township.
contains, exclusive of town lots. Cadiz and Woodville. more than 22,000
acres of land, which, according to the census of 1870. was divided into
183 farms, an average of about 122 acres each. The total assessed value
of the township, villages included, on the tax duplicate for 1870 was
as follows: farms with improvements. $445,010: town lots including
improvements. $11, 030; total value of personal property of all kinds.
$217,390: grand total. $673.430.
The tax duplicate for the
year 1904. township and villages combined, shows the following: value
of lands. $761,280; value of improvements. $102,200: total. $863,480;
value of lots, $4,250: value of improvements. $14450: total. $18,700:
value of personal property of all kinds, $314,560: total value of
taxables of all kinds, $1,196,740; less mortgage exemptions. $33.370:
leaving net value of taxables for year named, $1,163,370. It will be
noted that there is no railroad property, either steam or electric
lines included in the above. Harrison township is the only one in the
county not touched bv a railroad. The total taxes levied on the tax
duplicate for 1904, township and villages combined, which taxes include
all items enumerated in Dudley Township, with the addition of
corporation bond and street tax for Cadiz. Total, $20,828.12. Total
polls in Harrison Township, 246; tax, $1.50 each; Cadiz corporation,
33; tax, $2.00 each.
At the first election, on
the first Saturday in December, 1838, William Tucker, inspector, there
were thirty two votes cast for Justice of the Peace. According to the
census of 1870, Harrison had a population of 1,916, of whom 32 were
colored, 15 foreign born, 101 natives of North Carolina, and 109
Virginians. Population, according to the census of 1890, township and
Cadiz combined, 1,674; census of 1900, 1,488; loss in ten years, 186;
loss from 1870 to 1900, 428. The loss in population can be accounted
for by the purchase and consolidation of small farms into large ones,
and the exodus of farmers and their sons and daughters from country to
The first church and
school house was probably at Clear Springs, in the southeast corner of
the township, constructed in 1831-2 while it was a part of Greensboro
All elections have been
held at Cadiz, from the organization of the township to the present
time. Formerly, there was but one voting precinct. Now there are two.
Vote for 1904, South Harrison precinct, 196; North Harrison precinct,
170; total, 366.
This township, the
smallest in the county, except Stony Creek, was organized, June, 1842,
at which time, Ogden was the principal village. Room for it was found
by taking a slice off Wayne and a four mile slip off the west side of
Franklin Township. It is of irregular shape, being six miles in length
on the eastern side, with an average length of five miles and width of
four and one half miles. Blue River forms the boundary for about three
miles on the northwest. Its area is a little short of twenty two square
miles, or about 13,000 acres, which, according to the census of 1870,
was divided into 173 farms, giving an average of only about 75 acres
each, the smallest average in the county.
Buck Creek, running in a
southwest course, crosses the southeastern corner of the township into
Rush, where it makes a short turn and re-enters Henry County about the
middle of the south line of the township and bearing in a northwest
course, nearly four miles, passes into Wayne Township and falls into
Blue River at the old Heaton or White Mills. Blue River on the
northwest, and the classic little stream named Brook Bezor, which rises
near the center of the township and runs north two and one-half miles
with an average descent of about thirty feet to the mile, constitute
the only water courses of note in the township.
smallness of Spiceland Township in respect to area, it is by no means
insignificant in some other respects, being fourth in point of
population in the county, and up to the average in point of wealth,
while its farm lands are assessed higher for purposes of taxation than
many other townships in the county. This is doubtless owing
in part to its division into smaller farms and consequent thorough
tillage, but much is owing to the high average quality of the land for
general farming purposes.
The population of
Spiceland Township, according to the census of 1870, numbered 2,020, or
about 92 per square mile; of these 334 were born in North Carolina, 45
in Virginia, 17 out of the United States, and 65 were colored persons.
Population of Spiceland
Township, including Ogden. Spiceland, and Dunreith according to the
census of 1890, 1,823: census of 1900, 1.844: the last census showing a
total loss as compared with the census of 1870. of 176. This loss of
population, between the years above mentioned, is explained by the
improved general school system of the county as compared with the most
prosperous days of the Spiceland Academy, under Clarkson Davis, as
principal, when it outranked every other school in the county and many
people moved to Spiceland to educate their children. The school is yet
a most excellent one but the improved educational facilities elsewhere
in the county, have stopped the migration to Spiceland as the great
The first election was
held at Ogden, August, 1842. A few years afterwards, the poll was
divided and elections held at Spiceland and Ogden. There are now three
precincts, two at Spiceland and one at Dunreith. Vote for 1904, West
Spiceland precinct, 132; East Spiceland precinct, 196: south precinct,
Dunreith, 185; total vote, 513.
The assessed value of the
tax duplicate for 1870, in farms was $457,460; town lots, $65,870:
personal, $296,310; total, $819, 640. The tax duplicate for the year
1904, township and towns combined, shows as follows: value of lands,
$453,590; value of improvements, $10,1410: total. $555,000: value of
lots, $24,550: value of improvements, $60,830: total, $85,380; total
value of personal property of all kinds, $393,160 value of railroad
property, steam and electric lines, $393,180; total taxables of all
kinds, $1,426,720; less mortgage exemptions. $29,410: leaving net value
of taxables for the year named, $1,397,310. Total taxes levied on the
duplicate for the year 1904. township and towns combined, which taxes
include all items enumerated in Dudley Township, with the addition of
township poor, lighting streets, corporation and street tax, the last
three for Spiceland corporation, and corporation tax for Dunreith,
total $21,988.26. Total polls in township, 159: tax, $2.00 each;
Spiceland corporation, 81: tax. $2.50 each: Dunreith corporation, 30:
tax, $2.50 each.
JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP. This
township was organized September 5, 1843, out °f &c spare
territory of Fall Creek and Prairie. The eastern half of it is eight
miles in length, while on the west line it is but six miles. It is four
miles in width and contains twenty eight square miles, or nearly 18.000
acres, all passably good land, and much of it very fine farming land.
Its principal stream is Bell Creek, which with its tributaries
traverses nearly the entire length of the township. Honey Creek is in
the southwest; and a branch tributarv of Buck Creek, in the northeast
corner, carries into White River a portion of its surplus
waters. Sulphur Springs is the only village.
The population of the
township, according to the census of 1870, numbered 1,234, divided into
230 families. 172 of whom lived in the agricultural districts. There
were 23 foreigners, 12 North Carolinians, and 169 Virginians in the
township. The average size of a farm in the township was about 103
acres, and the population numbered about 46 to the square mile.
The farms and
improvements on the tax duplicate for 1870 were valued, for the purpose
of taxation, at $359,290; town lots, $18,800; personal, $188,050;
The tax duplicate for the
year 1904, townships and town combined, shows the following: value of
lands, $543,460; value of improvements, $73,010; total, $616,470; value
of lots, $2,310; value of improvements, $19,840; total, $22,150; total
value of personal property of all kinds, $214,200; value of railroad
property including steam and unfinished electric line, $143,820; total
value of taxables of all kinds, $996,640, less mortgage exemptions,
$30.470; leaving net value of taxables for the year named, $966,220.
Total taxes levied on the tax duplicate for the year 1904, township and
town combined, which taxes include all items enumerated in Dudley
Township with the addition of corporation and street tax. Sulphur
Springs, $13,269. Total polls in Jefferson Township, 165 ; tax,
$2.50: total polls in Sulphur Springs, 49; tax-, $2.25 each.
The elections were first
ordered to be held at the house of Michael Swope. on the 2nd day of
October, 1843. f°r the purpose of electing a Justice. Since the
building of the Panhandle railroad through the township, 1855-56, and
the establishment of Sulphur Springs, the elections have been uniformly
held at that place. Formerly, there was but one voting place, now there
are two. Vote, for 1904, West Jefferson precinct, 140; East Jefferson
precinct, 173 : total, 313.
Population, according to
the census of 1890, township and town combined, 1,132; census of 1900,
BLUE RIVER TOWNSHIP.
This was the last
organized, and is one of the smallest townships of the county, and
contains a trifle more than twenty two square miles. It was formed from
the south half of Stony Creek Township, by act of the Commissioners, on
June 6, 1848.
Blue River Township takes
its name quite aptly from being the source of both branches of the
stream of that name, so intimately connected with the prosperity and
history of the county. "Big Blue," as it is often called, rises near
the middle of the western portion of the township, and runs nearly
north about three and one half miles to within about one half mile of
Rogersville, in Stony* Creek Township, where it bears to the west and
is soon wending its way amid the prairies of Prairie Township. The
slashes or head waters of this branch of the river are known in the
Duke neighborhood by the classic name of "Goose Creek." The stream has
a fall of perhaps twenty1 feet per mile for the first three and one
half or four miles, and, although the volume of water is small, at the
ordinary stage there were formerly two pretty valuable mill seats on it
before it reached Prairie Township. "Little Blue" rises near the north
line and northeast corner of the township, and running in a general
southwest direction into Prairie Township, unites with the main branch
about two miles north of New Castle. On this branch of Blue River
were formerly situated the flourishing woolen mills of Mowrer and
McAfee and later of Ice. Dunn and Company, and the celebrated Hernly
Mill, as well as some of the finest farms in the northern part of
the'county. Flatrock also rises in the northeastern portion of this
township, and takes a southerly direction, while a small branch of
Stony Creek, almost interlapping with ''Little Blue," somehow finds its
way through the water shed of this part of the county, and runs north
into White River, near the western boundary of Randolph County. From
the number of streams having their initial point in the township, and
running in opposite directions, the conclusion is easily reached that
some of the highest lands in the county are to be found here; but being
the highest by no means signifies the dryest. Large portions of the
township required drainage to make them available to the husbandman,
but being reclaimed are of the very best quality.
The woolen mills
mentioned in the preceding paragraph were for many years a land mark in
Henry County. There is now no sign of this once flourishing industry
except the remnants of a fast disappearing mill race. The factory was
first best known as Mowrer and McAfee's and later as Ice, Dunn and
Company's. From the destruction of the timber and the drainage of the
county and the consequent immediate flow of the waters on their way to
the sea. Little Blue River as well as all other rivers and streams in
the county have been rendered practically useless, so far as power is
concerned, for mill and factory purposes. For the same reason, the
Hernly Mill, so long another land mark, was put out of business. This
mill and factory stood near each other about three miles northeast of
New Castle and not far from the old village of Hillsboro.
This little township was
exclusively rural, having neither village nor permanent postoffice
within its limits until after the construction of the Big Four railroad
through the central part of the county, unless a half interest in the
old town site of Centerville, on the line between Blue River and Stony
Creek townships, for many years extinct, could have been claimed as a
village. Since the building of the Big Four Road, the prosperous and
beautiful town of Mooreland has been established and the postoffice has
been re-established at what is now the village of Messick. formerly a
neighborhood cross roads.
The census of 1870 showed
a population of 861. the smallest number at that time, of any of the
thirteen civil divisions of the county. Of this population, 13
were colored; 7 foreigners, 25 Virginians: and 70 North Carolinians.
The population, according to the census of 1890 including Mooreland.
incorporated, and the village of Messick, was 1,032: census of 1900,
The farms and
improvements on the tax duplicate of 1870. were valued at $269,250, and
the personal property at $88,990: total. $358,240. The tax duplicate
for the year 1904, township, town, and village combined, shows as
follows: value of lands, $458,220: value of improvements, $37,070:
total. $495,290; value of lots, $9,160; value of improvements. $32,160:
total. $41,320: total value of personal property of all kinds,
$190,620; value of railroad property, no electric lines, $98,040; total
value of taxables of all kinds. $825,270: less mortgage exemptions,
$43,700; leaving net value of taxables for the year named. $781,570.
Total taxes levied for the year 1904, township, town and village
combined, which taxes include all items enumerated in Dudley Township,
with the-addition of corporation bond, and street tax for the town of
Mooreland. $13,267.09. Total polls in township 135 tax- $2.50
each: polls in Mooreland. 76; tax. $3.25 each.
At the time the township
was established, all elections were ordered to be held at "the home of
Philip Moore or at the Meeting House nearby," and they so continued to
be held there until after the establishment of Mooreland as above
men-tioned, since which time the voting has all been done at Mooreland
where there are now two precincts. Vote for 1904, West Blue River
precinct, 145; East Blue River precinct, 174; total, 319.