Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy
Indiana in the War
The events of
tlie earlier vears of this State have been reviewed down to that
period in the nation's history when the Republic demanded a first
sacrifice from the newly erected States; to the time when the very
safety of the glorious heritage, bequeathed by the fathers as a rich
legacy, was threatened with a fate worse than death—a life under
laws that harbored the slave—a civil defiance of the first
principles of the Constitution.
among the first to respond to the summons of patriotism, and
register itself on the national roll of honor, even as she was among
the first to join in that song of joy which greeted a Republic made
doubly glorious within a century by the dual victory which won
liberty for itself, and next bestowed the precious boon upon the
The fall of
Fort Sumter was a signal for the uprising of the State. The news of
the calamity was flashed to Indianapolis on the 14th of April, 1861,
and early the next morning the electric wire brought the welcome
message to Washington:— Executive Department op Indiana, )
Indianapolis, April 15,1861. )
Lincoln, President of the United States:—On behalf of the State of
Indiana, I tender to you for the defense of the Nation, and to
uphold the authority of the Government, ten thousand men.
This may be
considered the first official act of Governor Morton, who had just
entered on the duties of his exalted position. The State was in an
almost helpless condition, and yet the faith of the "War Governor "
was prophetic, when, after a short consultation with the members of
the Executive Council, he relied on the fidelity of ten thousand men
and promised their services to the Protectorate at Washington. .This
will be more apparent when the military condition of the State at
the beginning of 1861 is considered. At that time the armories
contained less than five hundred stand of serviceable small arms,
eight pieces of cannon which might be use-
ful in a museum
of antiquities, with sundry weapons which would merely do credit to
the aborigines of one hundred years ago. The financial condition of
the State was even worse than the military.
The sum of
$10,368.58 in trust funds was the amount of cash in the hands of the
Treasurer, and this was, to all intents and purposes unavailable to
meet the emergency, since it could not be devoted to the military
requirements of the day. This state of affairs was dispiriting
in the extreme, and would doubtless have militated against the
ultimate success of any other man than Morton; yet he overleaped
every difficulty, nor did the fearful realization of Floyd's
treason, discovered during his visit to Washington, damp his
indomitable courage and energy, but with rare persistence he urged
the claims of his State, and for his exertions was requited with an
order for five thousand muskets. The order was not
executed until hostilities were actually entered upon, and
consequently for some days succeeding the publication of the
people labored under a feeling of terrible anxiety mingled with
uncertainty, amid the confusion which followed the criminal
negligence that permitted the disbandment of the magnificent corps
de armee (51,000 men) of 1832 two years later in 1834, Great
numbers of the
people maintained their equanamity with the result of beholding
within a brief space of time every square mile of their
represented by soldiers prepared to fight to the bitter end in
defense of cherished institutions, and for the extension of the
principle of human liberty to all States and classes within the
limits of the threatened Union. This, their zeal, was
not animated by hostility to the slave holders of the Southern
States, but rather by a fraternal spirit, akin to that which urges
the eldest brother to correct the persistent follies of his juniors,
and thus lead them from crime to the maintenance of family honor; in
this correction, to draw them away from all that was cruel,
diabolical and inhuman in the Republic, to all that is gentle, holy
and sublime therein. Many of the raw troops were not only unimated
by a patriotic feeling, but also by that beautiful idealization of
the poet, who in his unconscious Republicanism, said:
" I would not
have a slave to till my ground,
To carry rne,
to fan me while I sleep,
when I wake, for all the wealth.
bought and sold have ever earned
No: dear as
freedom is—and, in my heart's
estimation, prized above all price—
I had much
rather be myself the slave,
And wear the
bonds, than fasten them on him."
it is not a matter for surprise to find the first call to arms
issued by the President, and calling for 75,000 men, answered nobly
by the people of Indiana. The quota of troops to be furnished by
the State on the first call was 4,683 men for three years' service
from April 15, 1860. On the 16th of April,
Governor Morton issued his proclamation calling on all citizens of
State, who had the welfare of the Republic at heart, to organize
themselves into six regiments in defense of their rights, and in
opposition to the varied acts of rebellion, charged by him against
the Southern Confederates. To this ena, the Hon. Lewis
Wallace, a soldier of the Mexican campaign was appointed
Adjutant-General, Col. Thomas A. Morris of the United States
Military Academy, Quartermaster-General, and Isaiah Mansur, a
merchant of Indianapolis, Commissary-General. These
general officers converted the .grounds and buildings of the State
Board of Agriculture into a military headquarters, and designated
the position Camp Morton,
as the beginning of the many honors which were to follow the popular
Governor throughout his future career. Now the people,
with confidence in their Government and leaders, rose to the
grandeur of American freemen, and with an enthusiasm never equaled
hitherto, flocked to the standard of the nation; so that within a
few days (19th April) 2,400 men were ranked beneath
regimental banners, until as the official report testifies, the
anxious question, passing from mouth to mouth, was, " Which of this
will be allowed to go?" It seemed as if Indiana was
about to monopolize the honors of the period, and place the 75.000
men demanded of the Union by the President, at his disposition. Even
now under the genial sway of guaranteed peace, the features of
Indiana's veterans flush with righteous pride when these
days—remembrances of heroic sacrifice—are named, and freemen, still
unborn, will read their history only to be blessed and glorified in
the possession of such truly, noble progenitors. Nor
were the ladies of the State unmindful of their duties.
Everywhere they partook of the general enthusiasm, and made it
practical so far as in their
power, by embroidering and presenting standards and regimental
colors, organizing aid and relief societies, and by many other acts
of patriotism and humanity inherent in the high nature of woman.
During the days
set apart by the military authorities for the organization
of the regiments, the financiers of the State were engaged
in the reception of munificent grants of money from private citizens,
while the money merchants within and without the
State offered large loans to the recognized Legislature without even imposing a
condition of payment. This most practical generosity
strengthened the hands of the Executive, and within a very few days Indiana had passed
the crucial test, recovered some of her military
prestige lost in 1834, and so was prepared to vie with the other and wealthier
States in making sacrifices for the public welfare.
On the 20th of April, Messrs, I. S. Dobbs and Alvis D. Gall received their
appointments as Medical Inspectors of the Division,,
while Major T. J. Wood arrived at headquarters from Washington to receive the
newly organized regiments into the service of the Union.
At the moment this formal proceeding took place, Morton, unable to
restrain the patriotic ardor of the people, telegraphed to the
capitol that he could place six regiments of infantry at the
disposal of the General Government within six days, if such a
proceeding were acceptable; but in consequence of the wires being
cut between the State and Federal capitols, no answer came. Taking
advantage of the little doubt which may have had existence in regard
to future action in the matter and in the absence of general orders,
he gave expression to an intention of placing the volunteers, in
camp, and in his message to the Legislature, who assembled three
days later, he clearly laid down the principle of immediate 'action
and strong measures, recommending a quote of $1,000,000 for there
organization of the volunteers, for the purchase of arms and
supplies, and for the punishment of treason. The message was
received most enthusiastically. The assembly recognized the great
points made by the Governor, and not only yielded to them in toto,
but also made the following grand appropriations:
and support of militia for two years..;.....................140,000
appropriations, together with the laws enacted during the session of
the Assembly, speak for the men of Indiana. The celerity with which
these laws were put in force, the diligince and economy exercised by
the officers, entrusted with their administration, and that
systematic genius, under which all the machinery of Government
seemed to work in harmony,—all, all, tended to make for the State a
spring-time of noble deeds, when seeds might be cast along her
fertile fields and in the streets of her villages of industry to
grow up at once and blossom in the ray of fame, and after to bloom
throughout the ages. "Within three days after the opening of the
extra session of the Legislature (27th April) six new regiments were
organized, and commissioned for three months' service. These
regiments, notwithstanding the fact that the first six regiments
were already mustered into the general service, were known as "The
First Brigade, Indiana Volunteers," and with the simple object of
making the way of the future student of a brilliant history clear,
were numbered respectively
commanded by Col. T. T. Crittenden.
Seventh commanded by Ebenezer
Eighth commanded by W. P. Benton.
Ninth commanded by R. H. Milroy.
Tenth commanded by T. T. Reynolds.
Eleventh commanded by Lewis
The idea of
these numbers was suggested by the fact that the military
representation of Indiana in the Mexican Campaign was one brigade of
five regiments, and to observe consecutiveness the regiments
comprised in the first division of volunteers were thus numbered,
and the entire force placed under Brigadier General T. A. Morris,
with the following staif: John Love, Major; Cyrus C. Hines,
Aid-de-camp; and J. A. Stein, Assistant Adjutant General. To follow
the fortunes of these volunteers through all the vicissitudes of war
would prove a special work; yet their valor and endurance during
their first term of service deserved a notice of even more value
than that of the historian, since a commander's opinion has to be
taken as the basis upon which the chronicler may expatiate.
following dispatch, dated from the headquarters of the Army of
Occupation, Beverly Camp, W. Virginia, July 21, 1861, must be taken
as one of the first evidences of their utility and valor:—
"Governor O. P.
Morton, Indianapolis, Indiana.
have directed the three months' regiments from Indiana to move to
Indianapolis, there to be mustered out and reorganized for three
I cannot permit
them to return to you without again expressing my high appreciation
of the distinguished valor and endurance of the Indiana troops, and
my hope that but a short time will elapse before I have the pleasure
of knowing that they are again ready for the field.
I am, very
respectfully, your obedient servant,
U. S. A.
On the return
of the troops to Indianapolis, July 29, Brigadier Morris issued a
lengthy, logical and well-deserved congratulatory address, from
which one paragraph may be extracted to characterize the whole.
After passing a glowing eulogium on their military qualities and on
that unexcelled gallantry displayed at Laurel Hill, Phillip! and
Carrick's Ford, he says:—
have now returned to the friends whose prayers went with you to the
field of strife. They welcome you with pride and exultation. Your
State and country acknowledge the value of your labors. May your
future career be as your past has been,—honorable to yourselves and
serviceable to your country."
regiments forming Morris' brigade, together with one composed of the
surplus volunteers, for whom there was no regiment in April, now
formed a division of seven regiments, all reorganized for three
years' service, between the 20th August and 20th September, with the
exception of the new or 12th, which was accepted for one year's
service from May 11th, under command of Colonel John M. Wallace, and
reorganized May 17, 1862, for three years' service under Col. W. H.
Link, who, with 172 officers and men, received their mortal wounds
during the Richmond (Kentucky) engagement, three months after its
Regiment, under Col; Jeremiah Sullivan, was mustered into the United
States in 1861 and joined Gen. McClellan's command at Rich Mountain
on the 10th July. The day following it was present under Gen.
Rosencrans and lost eight men killed; three successive days it was
engaged under Gen. I. I. Reynolds, and won its laurels at Cheat
Mountain summit, where it participated in the decisive victory over
Regiment, organized in 1861 for one year's service, and reorganized
on the 7th of JuneatTerre Haute for three years' service. Commanded
by Col. Kimball and showing a muster roll of 1,134 men, it was one
of the finest, as it was the first, three years' regiment organized
in the State, with varying fortunes attached to its never ending
round of duty from Cheat Mountain, September, 1861, to Morton's Ford
in 1864, and during the movement South in May of that year to the
last of its labors, the battle of Cold Harbor.
Regiment, reorganized at La Fayette 14th June, 1861, under Col. G.
D. "Wagner, moved on Rich Mountain on the 11th of July in time to
participate in the complete rout of the enemy. On the promotion of
Col. Wagner, Lieutenant-Col. G. A. Wood became Colonel of the
regiment, November, 1862, and during the first days of January,
1863, took a distinguished part in the severe action of Stone River.
From this period down to the battle of Mission Ridge it was in a
series of destructive engagements, and was, after enduring terrible
hardships, ordered to Chattanooga, and thence to Indianapolis, where
it was mustered out the 18th June, 1864,—four days after the
expiration of its term of service.
Regiment, organized under Col. P. A. Hackleman at Richmond for one
year's service, after participating in many minor military events,
was mustered out at Washington, D.C., on the 14th of May, 1862. Col.
Hackleman was killed at the battle of Iuka, and Lieutenant-Col.
Thomas L Lucas succeeded to the command. It was reorganized at
Indianapolis for three years' service, May 27, 1862, and took a
conspicuous part in all the brilliant engagements of the war down to
June, 1865, when it was mustered out at New Orleans. The survivors,
numbering 365 rank and file, returned to Indianapolis the 10th of
July amid the rejoicing of the populace.
Regiment was mustered into service at Indianapolis the 12th of June,
1861, for three years, under Col. Hascall, who on being promoted
Brigadier General in March, 1862, left the Colonelcy to devolve on
Lieutenant Colonel John T. Wilder. This regiment participated
in the many exploits of Gen. Reynold's army from Green Brier in
1862, to Macon in 1865, under Gen. Wilson. Returning to Indianapolis
the 16th of August, in possession of a brilliant record, the
regiment was disbanded.
Regiment, under Colonel Thomas Pattison, was organized at
Indianapolis, and mustered into service on the 16th of August, 1861.
Under Gen. Pope it gained some distinction at Blackwater, and
succeeded in retaining a reputation made there, by its gallantry at
Pea Ridge, February, 1862, down to the moment when it planted the
regimental flag on the arsenal of Augusta, Georgia, where it was
disbanded August 28, 1865.
Regiment, mastered into three years of service at the State capital
July 29, 1861, was ordered to join the army of the Potomac, and
reported its arrival at Washington, August 9. Two days later it took
part in the battle of Lewinsville, under Colonel Solomon Meredith.
Occupying Falls Church in September, 1861, it continued to maintain
a most enviable place of honor on the military roll until its
consolidation with the 20th Regiment, October, 1864, under Colonel
William Orr, formerly its Lieutenant Colonel.
Regiment of La Fayette was organized in July, 1861, mustered into
three years' service at Indianapolis on the 22d of the same month,
and reached the front at Cockeysville, Maryland, twelve days
later. Throughout all its brilliant actions from
Hatteras Bank, on the 4th of October, to Clover Hill, 9th of April,
1865, including the saving of the United States ship Congress, at
Newport News,it added daily some new name to its escutcheon. This
regiment was mustered out at Louisville in July, 1865, and returning
to Indianapolis was welcomed by the great war Governor of their
Regiment was mustered into service under Colonel I. W. McMillan,
July 24, 1861, and reported at the front the third day of August. It
was the first regiment to enter New Orleans. The fortunes of this
regiment were as varied as its services, so that its name and fame,
grown from the blood shed by its members, are destined to live and
flourish. In December, 1863, the regiment was reorganized, and on
the 19th February, 1864, many of its veterans returned to their
State, where Morton received them with that spirit of proud
gratitude which he was capable of showing to those who deserve honor
for honors won.
Regiment, under Colonel Jeff. C Davis, left Indianapolis the 15th of
August, and was attached to Fremont's Corps at St. Louis on the
17th. From the day it moved to the support of Colonel Mulligan at
Lexington, to the last victory, won under General Sherman at
Bentonville, on the 19th of March, 1865, it gainied a high military
reputation. After the fall of Johnston's southern army, this
regiment was mustered out, and arrived at Indianapolis on the 16th
Battalion, commanded by Colonel W. L. Sanderson, was mustered in at
New Albany, the 29th July, 1861, and moved to the front early in
August. From its unfortunate marine experiences before Fort Henry to
Bentonville it won unusual honors, and after its disbandment at
Louisville, returned to Indianapolis July 24, 1865, where Governor
Morton and General Sherman reviewed and complimented the gallant
Battalion, under Colonel Alvin P. Kovey, was mustered at Vincennes
the 31st of July, 1861. Proceeding immediately to the front it
joined Fremont's command, and participated under many Generals in
important affairs during the war. Three hundred and ten men and
officers returned to their State in August, 1865, and were received
with marked honors by the people and Executive.
Regiment, of Evansville mustered into service there for three years
under Col. J. C. Veatch, arrived at St. Louis on the 26th of August,
1861. During the war this regiment was present at 18 battles and
skirmishes, sustaining therein a loss of 352 men and officers.
Mustered out at Louisville, July 17, 1865, it returned to
Indianapolis on the 21st amid universal rejoicing.
Battalion, under W. M. Wheatley, left Indianapolis for the front the
7th of September, 1861, and after a brilliant campaign under
Fremont, Grant, Heron and Smith, may be said to disband the 18th of
September, 1865, when the non-veterans and recruits were reviewed by
Morton at the State capital.
Regiment, uuder Col. Silas Colgrove, moved from Indianapolis to
Washington City, September 15th, 1861, and in October was allied to
Gen. Banks' army. From Winchester Heights, the 9th of March 1862,
through all the affairs of General Sherman's campaign, it acted a
gallant and faithful part, and was disbanded immediately after
returning to their State.
The 28th or 1st
Cavalry was mustered into service at Evansville on the 20th of
August, 1861, under Col. Conrad Baker. From the skirmish at Ironton,
on the 12th of September, wherein three companies under Col. Gavin
captured a position held by a few rebels, to the battle of the
Wilderness, the First Cavalry performed prodigies of valor. In June
and July, 1865, the troops were mustered out at Indianapolis.
Battalion of La Porte, under Col. J. F. Miller, left on the 5th of
October, 1861, and reaching Camp .Nevin, Kentucky, on the 9th, was
allied to Rosseau's Brigade, serving with McCook's division at
Shiloh, with Bueli's army in Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky, with
Rosencrans at Murfreesboro, at Decatur, Alabama, and at Dalton,
Georgia. The Twenty-ninth won many laurels, and had its Colonel
promoted to the rank of Brigadier General. This officer was
succeeded in the command by Lieutenant-Col. D. M. Dunn.
Regiment of Fort Wayne, under Col. Sion S. Bass, proceeded to the
front via Indianapolis, and joined General Rosseau at Camp Nevin on
the 9th of October, 1861. At Shiloh, Col. Bass received a mortal
wound, and died a few days later at Paducah, leaving the Colonelcy
to devolve upon Lieuteuant-Col. J. B. Dodge. In October 1865, it
formed a battalion of General Sheri- dan's army of observation in
Regiment, organized at Terre Haute, under Col. Charles Cruft, in
September 1861, was mustered in, and left in a few days for
Kentucky. Present at the reduction of Fort Donelson on the 13th,
14th, and 10th of February, 1862, its list of killed and wounded
proves its desperate fighting qualities. The
organization was subjected to many changes, bnt in all its phases
maintained a fair fame won on many battle fields. Like the former
regiment, it passed into Gen. Sheridan's Army 6f Observation, and
held the district of Green Lake, Texas.
Regiment of German Infantry, under Col. August Willich, organized at
Indianapolis, mustered on the 24:th of August, 1861, served with
distinction throughout the campaign. Col. Willich was promoted to
the rank of Brigadier-General, and Lieut-Col. Henry Von Trebra
commissioned to act, under whose command the regiment passed into
General Sheridan's Army, holding the post of Salado Creek, until the
withdrawal of the corps of observation in Texas.
Regiment of Indianapolis possesses a military history of no small
proportions. The mere facts that it was mustered in under Col. John
Coburn, the 16th .of September, won a series of distinctions
throughout the war district and was mustered out at Louisville, July
21, 1865, taken with its name as one of the most powerful regiments
engaged in the war, are sufficient here.
Battalion, organized at Anderson on the 16th September, 1861, under
Col. Ash bury Steele, appeared among the investing battalions before
New Madrid on the 30th of March, 1862. From the distinguished part
it took in that siege, down to the 13th of May, 1865, when at
Palmetto Ranche, near Palo Alto, it fought for hours against fearful
odds the last battle of the war for the Union. Afterwards it marched
250 miles up the Rio Grande, and was the first regiment to reoecupy
the position, so long in Southern hands, of Ringold barracks. In
1865 it garrisoned Beaconsville as part of the Army of Observation.
The 35th or
First Irish Regiment, was organized at Indianapolis, and mustered
into service on the 11th of December, 1861, under Col. John C.
"Walker. At Nashville, on the 22d of May, 1862, it was joined by the
organized portion of the Sixty-first or Second Irish Regiment, and
unassigned recruits. Coi. Mullen now became Lieut.-Colonel of the
35th, and shortly after, its Colonel. From the pursuit of Gen. Bragg
through Kentucky and the affair at Perryville on the 8th of October,
1862, to the terrible hand to hand combat at Kenesaw mountain, on
the night of the 20th of June, 1864, and again from the conclusion
of the Atlanta campaign to September, 1865, with Gen. Sheridan's
army, when it was mustered out, it won for itself a name of reckless
daring and unsurpassed gallantry.
Regiment, of Richmond, Ind., under Col. William Grose, mastered into
service for three years on the 16th of September, 1861, went
immediately to the front, and shared the fortunes of the Army of the
Ohio until the 27th of February, 1862, when a forward movement led
to its presence on the battle-field of Shiloh. Following up the
honors won at Shiloh, it participated in some of the most important
actions of the war, and was, in October, 1865, transferred to Gen.
Sheridan's-army. Col. Grose was promoted in 186i to the position of
Brigadier-General, and the Colonelcy devolved on Oliver H. P. Carey,
formerly Lieut.-Colonel of the regiment.
Battalion, of Lawrenceburg, commanded by Col. Geo. W. Hazzard,
organized the 18th of September, 1861, left for the seat of war
early in October. From the eventful battle of Stone river, in
December, 1862, to its participation in Sherman's march through
Georgia, it gained for itself a splendid reputation. This regiment
returned to, and was present at, Indianapolis, on the 30th of July,
1865, where a public reception was tendered to men and officers on
the grounds of the Capitol.
Regiment, under Col. Benjamin F. Scribner, was mustered in at New
Albany, on the 18th of September, 1861, and in a few days were en
rovie for the front. To follow its continual round of duty, is
withont the limits of this sketch; therefore, it will suffice to
say, that on every well-fought field, at least from February, 1862,
until its dissolution, on the 15th of July, 1865, it earned an
enviable renown, and drew from Gov. Morton, on returning to
Indianapolis the 18th of the same month, a congratulatory address
couched in the highest terms of praise.
Regiment, or Eighth Cavalry, was mustered in as an infantry
regiment, under Col. T. J. Harrison, on the 28th of August, 1861, at
the State capital. Leaving immediately for the front it took a
conspicuous part in all the engagements up to April, 1863, when it
was reorganized as a cavalry regiment. The record of this
organization sparkles with great deeds which men will extol while
language lives; its services to the Union cannot be over estimated,
or the memory of its daring deeds be forgotten by the unhappy people
who raised the tumult, which culminated in their second shame.
Regiment, of Lafayette, under Col. W. C. "Wilson, subsequently
commanded by Col. J. W. Blake, and again by Col. Henry Learning, was
organized on the 30th of December, 1861, and at once proceeded to
the front,where some time was necessarily spent in the Camp of
Instruction at Bardstown, Kentucky. In February, 1862, it joined in
Buell's forward movement. During the war the regiment shared in all
its hardships, participated in all its honors, and like many other
brave commands took service under Gen. Sheridan in his Army of
Occupation, holding the post of Port Lavaca, Texas, until peace
brooded over the land.
Regiment or Second Cavalry, the first complete regiment of horse
ever raised in the State, was organized on the 3d of September,
1861, at Indianapolis, under Col. John A. Bridgland, and December 16
moved to the front. Its first war experience was gained en route to
Corinth on the 9th of April, 1862, and at Pea Ridge on the 15th.
Gallatin, Vinegar Hill, and Perryville, and Talbot Station followed
in succession, each battle bringing to the cavalry untold honors. In
May, 1864,it entered upon a glorious career under Gen. Sherman in
his Atlanta campaign, and again under Gen. Wilson in the raid
through Alabama during April, 1865. On the 22d of July, after a
brilliant career, the regiment was mustered out at Nashville, and
returned at once to Indianapolis for discharge.
The 42d, under
Col J. G. Jones, mustered into service at Evansville, October 9,
1861, and having participated in the principal military affairs of
the period, Wartrace, Mission Ridge, Altoona, Kenesaw, Savannah,
Charlestown and Bentonville, was discharged at Indianapolis on the
25th of July, 1865.
Battalion was mustered in on the 27th of September, 1861, under Col.
George K. Steele, and left Terre Haute en route to the front within
a few days. Later it was al'ied to Gen. Pope's corps, and afterwards
served with Commodore Foote's marines in the reduction of Fort
Pillow. It was the first Union regiment to enter Memphis. From that
period until the close of the war it was distinguished for its
unexcelled qualifications as a military body, and fully deserved the
encomiums passed upon it on its return to Indianapolis in March,
Thk 44th or the
Regiment of the 10th Congressional District
was organized at Fort Wayne on the 24th of October, 1861, under Col. Hugh B. Reed.
Two months later it was ordered to the front,
and arriving in Kentucky, was attached to Gen. Cruft's Brigade, then quartered at
Calhoun. After years of faithful service it was
mustered out at Chattanooga, the 14th of September, 1865.
The 45th, or
Third Cavalry, comprised ten companies organized
at different periods and for varied services in 1861-'62,
under Colonel Scott Carter and George H. Chapman. The
distinguished name won by the Third Cavalry is established in every village
within the State. Let it suffice to add that after its
brilliant participation in Gen. Sheridan's raid down the James' river canal, it
was mustered out at Indianapolis on the 7th of August,
Regiment, organized at Logansport under Colonel
Graham N. Fitch, arrived in Kentucky the 16th of February, 1862, and a little later
became attached to Gen. Pope's army, then quartered
at Commerce. The capture of Fort Pillow, and its career under Generals
Curtis, Palmer, Hovey, Gorman, Grant, Sherman,
Banks and Burbridge are as truly worthy of applause as ever fell to the lot of
aregiment. The command was mustered out at Louisville
on the 4th of September, 1865.
The 47th was
organized at Anderson, under Col. I. R. Slack, early
in October, 1862. Arriving at Bardstown, Kentucky, on the 21st of December, it
was attached to Gen. Buell's army; but within two
months was assigned to Gen. Pope, under whom it proved the first regiment to enter
Fort Thompson near New Madrid. In 1864 the
command visited Indianapolis on veteran furlough and was enthusiastically
received by Governor Morton and the people. Returning
to the front it engaged heartily in Gen. Banks' company. In December,Col.
Slack received his commissionas Brigadier-General,
and was succeeded on the regimental command by Col. J. A. Laughton; at
Shreveport under General Heron it received the submission
of General Price aud his army, and there also was it mustered out of
service on the 23d of October, 1865.
Regiment, organized at Goshen the 6th of December,
1861, under Col. Norman Eddy, entered on its duties during the siege of Corinth
in May, and again in October, 1862. The record
of this battalion may be said to be unsurpassed in its every
so that the grand ovation extended to the returned soldiers in 1865 at
Indianapolis, is not a matter for surprise.
Regiment, organized at Jeffersonville, under Col. J.W.
Ray, and mustered in on the 21st of November, 1861, for service, left enroute for
the camp at Bardstown. A month later it arrived
at the unfortunate camp-ground of Cumberland Ford, where disease carried off a
number of gallant soldiers. The regiment, however,
survived the dreadful scourge and won its laurels on many a
well-fought field until September, 1865, when it was mustered out at Louisville.
Regiment, under Col. Cyrus L. Dunham, organized
during the month of September, 1861, at Seymour, left en route to Bardstown for a
course of military instruction. On the 20th of
August, 1862, a detachment of the 50th, under Capt. Atkinson, was attacked by
Morgan's Cavalry near Edgefield Junction; but the
gallant few repulsed their oft-repeated onsets and finally drove them from the
field. The regiment underwent many changes in
organization, and may be said to muster out on the 10th of September, 1865.
Regiment, under Col. Abel. D. Streight, left Indianapolis
on the 14th of December, 1861, for the South. After a short course of
instruction at Bardstown, the regiment joined General
Buell's and acted with great effect during the campaign in Kentucky and
Tennessee. Ultimately it became a participator in the
work of the Fourth Corps, or Army of Occupation, and held the post of San Antonio
until peace was doubly assured.
Regiment was partially raised at Rushville, and the
organization completed at Indianapolis, where it was consolidated with the Railway
Brigade, or 56th Regiment, on the 2d of February,
1862. Going to the front immediately after, it served with marked distinction
throughout the war, and was mustered out at
Montgomery on the 10th of September, 1865. Returning to Indianapolis six days
later, it was welcomed by Gov. Morton and a most
enthusiastic reception accorded to it.
Battalion was raised at New Albany, and with the
addition of recruits raised at Rockport formed a standard regiment, Tinder
command of Col. "W. Q. Gresham. Its first duty was
that of guarding the rebels confined on Camp Morton, but on going to the front
it made for itself an endurable name. It was mustered
out in July, 1865, and returned to Indiananoplis on the 25th of the same month.
Regiment was raised at Indianapolis on the 10th of
June, 1862, for three months'service under Col. D. G. Rose. The succeeding two
mouths saw it in charge of the prisoners at Camp
Morton, and in August it was pushed forward to aid in the defense of Kentucky
against the Confederate General, Kirby Smith. The
remainder of its short term of service was given to the cause. On
muster out of the three months' service regiment it was reorganized
for one year's service and gained some distinction, after which it was mustered
out in 1863 at New Orleans.
The 55th Regiment, organized for three months' service, retains the brief history
applicable to the first organization of the 54th. It
was mustered in on the 16th of June, 1862, under Col. J. R. Mahon. disbanded on
the expiration of its term and was not reorganized.
Regiment, referred to in the sketch of the 52nd, was
designed to be composed of railroad men, marshalled under J, M. Smith as Colonel,
but owing to the fact that many railroaders had
already volunteered into other regiments, Col. Smith's volunteers were incorporated
with the 52nd, and this number left blank in the
Battalion, actually organized by two ministers of the
gospel,—the Rev. I. W. T. McMullen and Rev. F. A. Hardin, of Richmond, Ind.,
mustered into service on the 18th of November,
1861, under the former named reverend gentleman as Colonel, who was, however,
succeeded by Col. Cyrus C. Haynes, and he in
turn by G. W. Leonard, "WillisBlanch and John S. McGrath, the
command until the conclusion of the war. The
history of this battalion is extensive, and if participation in a
of battles with the display of rare gallantry wins fame, the 57th may rest assured
of its possession of this fragile yet coveted prize.
Like many other regiments it concluded its military labors in the service of General
Sheridan, and held the post of Port Lavaca in
conjunction with another regiment until peace dwelt in the land.
Regiment, of Princeton, was organized there early in
October, 1861, and was mustered into service under the Colonelcy of Henry M. Carr.
In December it was ordered "to join General
Buell's army, after which it took a share in the various actions of the
war, and was mustered out on the 25th of July, 1865,
at Louisville, having gained a place on the roll of honor.
Battalion was raised under a commission issued by
Gov. Morton to Jesse I. Alexander, creating him Colonel. Owing to the
peculiarities hampering its organization, Col. Alexander could not succeed in
having his regiment prepared to muster in before
the 17th of February, 1862. However, on that day the equipment was complete, and
on the 18th it left en route to Commerce, where
on its arrival, it was incorporated under General Pope's command. The list of its
casualties speaks a history,—no less than 793 men
were lost during the campaign. The regiment, after a
term characterized "by distinguished service, was mustered out at
on the 17th of July, 1865.
Regiment was partially organized under Lieut.-Col.
Richard Owen at Evansville during November 1861, and perfected at Camp Morton
during March, 1862. Its first experience was its
gallant resistance to Bragg's army investing Munfordsville, which culminated in the
unconditional surrender of its first seven companies
on the 14th of September, An exchange of prisoners took place in November,
which enabled it to joine the remaining companies
in the field. The subsequent record is excellent, and forms, as it were, a
monument to their fidelity and heroism. The main
portion of this battalion was mustered out at Indianapolis, on the 21st of March,
The 61st was
partially organized in December, 1861, under Col.
B. F. Mullen. The failure of thorough organization on the 22d of May, 1862, led the
men and oflicers to agree to incorporation with
the 35th Regiment of Volunteers.
Battalion, raised under a commission issued to William
Jones, of Rockport, authorizing him to organize this regimentin the First
Congressional District was so unsuccessful that consolidation with the 53d
Regiment was resolved upon.
Regiment, of Covington, under James MeManomy,
Commandant ot Camp, and J. S. Williams, Adjutant, was partially organized on the
31st of December, 1861, and may be considered
on duty from its very formation. After guarding prisoners at Camp Morton and
Lafayette, and engaging in battle on Manassas
Plains on the 30th of August following, the few companies sent out in February,
1862, returned to Indianapolis to find six new
companies raised under the call of July, 1862, ready to embrace the fortunes of
the 63d. So strengthened, the regiment went forth
to battle, and continued to lead in the paths of honor and fidelity until mustered out
in May and June, 1865.
Regiment failed in organization as an artillery corps;
but orders received from the War Department prohibiting the consolidation of
independent batteries, put a stop to any further move
in the matter. However, an infantry regiment bearing the same number was
The 65th was
mustered in at Princeton and Evansville, in July
and August, 1862, under Col. J. W. Foster, and left at once enroute for the
front. The record of this battalion is creditable, not
only to its members, but also to the State which claimed it. Its
last action during the war was on the 18th and 20th of February, 1865, at Fort
Anderson and Town creek, after which, on the 22d
June, it was disbanded at Greensboro.
Regiment partially organized at New Albany, under
Commandant Roger Martin, was ordered to leave for Kentucky on the 19th of
August, 1862, for the defense of that State against the incursions of
Kirby Smith. After a brilliant career it was mustered
out at Washington on the 3d of June, 1865, after which it returned to
Indianapolis to receive the thanks of a grateful people.
Regiment was organized within theTbird Congressional
District under Col. Frank Emerson, and was ordered to Louisville on the 20th of
August, 1862, whence it marched to Munfordville,
only to share the same fate with the other gallant regiments engaged against Gen.
Bragg's advance. Its roll of honor extends
down the years of civil disturbance,— always adding garlands, until Peace called a
truce in the fascinating race after fame, and insured
a term of rest, wherein its members could think on comrades forever vanished, and
temper the sad thought with the sublime memories
born of that chivalrous fight for the maintenance and integrity of a great
Republic. At Galveston on the 19th of July, 1865, the
gallant 67th Regiment was mustered out, and returning within a few days to its
State received the enthusiastic ovations of her citizens.
Regiment, organized at Greensburg under Major Benjamin
C. Shaw, was accepted for general service the 19th of August, 1862, under Col.
Edward A. King, with Major Shaw as Lieutenant
Colonel; on the 25th its arrival at Lebanon was reported and with-in a few days it
appeared at the defense of Munfordville; but sharing
in the fate of all the defenders, it surrendered unconditionally to Gen. Bragg and did
not participate further in the actions of that year,
nor until after the exchange of prisoners in 1863. From this period it may lay
claim to an enviable history extending to the end
of the war, when it was disembodied.
Regiment, of Richmond, Ind., under Col. A. Bickle,
left for the front on the 20th ot August, 1862, and ten days later made a very
brilliant stand at Richmond, Kentucky, against
the advance of Gen.Kirby Smith, losing in the engagement two hundred and
eighteen men and officers together with its liberty.
After an exchange of prisoners the regiment was reorganized under Col. T. W. Bennett
and took the field in December, 1862, under Generals Sheldon, Morgan
and Sherman of Grant's army. Chickasaw,
Vicksburg, Blakely and many other names testify to the valor of the 69th. The
remnant of the regiment was in January, 1865,
formed into a battalion under Oran Perry, and was mustered out in July following.
Regiment was organized at Indianapolis on the 12th of
August, 1862, under Col. B. Harrison, and leaving for Louisville on the 13th, shared
in the honors of Bruce's division at Franklin
and Russellville. The record of the regiment is brimful of honor. It was mustered
out at Washington, June 8, 1865, and received at
Indianapolis with public honors.
The 71st or
Sixth Cavalry was organized as an infantry regiment,
at Terre Haute, and mustered into general service at Indianapolis on the 18th
of August, 1862, under Lieut.-Col. Melville D.
Topping. Twelve days later it was engaged outside Richmond, Kentucky, losing
two hundred and fifteen officers and men, including
Col. Topping and Major Conklin, together with three hundred and forty-seven
prisoners, only 225 escaping death and capture.
After an exchange of prisoners the regiment was re-formed under Col. I. Bittle, but
on the 28th of December it surrendered to Gen.
J. H. Morgan, who attacked its position at Muldraugh's Hill with a force of 1,000
Confederates. During September and October, 1863,
it was organized as a cavalry regiment, won distinction throughout its career, and
was mustered out the loth of September, 1865, at
Regiment was organized at Lafayette, and left enroute
to Lebanon, Kentucky, on the 17th of August, 1862. Under Col. Miller it won a
series of honors, and mustered out at Nashville on
the 26th of June, 1865.
Regiment, under Col. Gilbert Hathaway, was mustered
in at South Bend on the 16th of August, 1882, and proceeded immediately to the
front. Day's Gap, Crooked Creek, and the high
eulogies of Generals Rosencrans and Granger speak its long and brilliant history,
nor were the welcoming shouts of a great people
and the congratulations of Gov. Morton, tendered to the regiment on its return
home, in July, 1865, uecessary to sustain its well won
Regiment, partially organized at Fort Wayne and made
almost complete at Indianapolis, left for the seat of war on the 22d of August, 1862,
under Col. Charles W. Chapman. The desperate
opposition to Gen. Bragg, and the magnificent defeat of Morgan,
together with the battles of Dallas, Chattahoochie river, Kenesaw and Atlanta, where
Lieut. Col. Myron Baker was killed, all bear evidence
of its never surpassed gallantry. It was mustered out of service on the 9th of
June, 1865, at "Washington. On the return of the
regiment to Indianapolis, the war Governor and people tendered it special honors,
and gave expression to the admiration and regard
in which it was held.
Regiment was organized within the Eleventh Congressional
District, and left Wabash, on the 21st of August, 1862, for the front, under Col.
I. W. Petit It was the first regiment to enter
Tullahoma, and one of the last engaged in the battles of the Republic. After the
submission of Gen. Johnson's army, it was mustered
out at Washington, on the 8th of June 1865.
Battalion was solely organized for thirty days' service under Colonel
James Gavin, for the purpose of pursuing the rebel
guerrilas, who plundered Newburg on the 13th July, 1862.
organized and equipped within forty-eight hours, and during its term of service
gained the name, " The Avengers of Newburg."
The 77th, or
Fourth Cavalry, was organized at the State capital
in August, 1862, under Colonel Isaac P. Gray. It carved its way to fame over
twenty battlefields, and retired from service at
Edgefield, on the 29th June, 1865.
Regiment was mustered in at Indianapolis on the 2nd
September, 1862, under Colonel Fred Knefler. Its history may be termed a record of
battles, as the great numbers of battles, from
1862 to the conclusion of hostilities, were participated in by it. The regiment
received its discharge on the 11th June, 1865, at
Indianapolis. During its continued round of field duty it captured eighteen guns and
over one thousand prisoners.
Regiment was organized within the First Congressional District under
Col. C. Den by, and equipped at Indianapolis, when, on the 8th of
September, 1862, it left for the front. During its term it lost only
two prisoners; but its list of casualties sums up 325 men and
officers killed and wounded. The regiment may be said to muster out
on the 22nd of June, 1865, at Saulsbury.
Regiment, of New Albany, under Colonel W. W. Caldwell, was organized
on the 29th August, 1862, and proceeded at once to join Buell's
headquarters, and join in the pursuit of General Bragg. Throughout
the terrific actions of the war its influence was felt, nor did its
labors cease until it aided in driving the rebels across the
Tennessee. It was disembodied at Nashville on the 13th
June, 1865, and returned to Indianapolis on the 15th, to receive the
well-merited congratulations of Governor Morton and the people.
Regiment, under Colonel Morton C. Hunter, was mustered in at
Madison, Ind., on the 30th August, 1862, and leaving immediately for
the seat of war, participated in many of the great battles down to
the return of peace. It was mustered outat Washington on the 9th
June, 1865, and soon returned to its State to receive a grand
recognition of its faithful service.
Regiment, of Lawrenceburg, under Colonel Ben. J. Spooner, was
organized in September, 1S62, and soon left en route to the
Mississippi. Its subsequent history, the fact of its being under
tire for a total term of 4,800 hours, and its wanderings over 6,285
miles, leave nothing to be said in its defense. Master of a thousand
honors, it was mustered out at Louisville, on the 15th July, 1865,
and returned home to enjoy a well-merited repose.
Regiment was mustered in at Richmond, Ind., on the 8th September,
1862, under Colonel Nelson Trusler. Its first military duty was on
the defenses of Covington, in Kentucky, and Cincinnati; but after a
short time its labors became more congenial, and tended to the great
disadvantage of the slaveholding enemy on many well-con tested
fields. This, like the other State regiments, won many distinctions,
and retired from the service on the 14th of June, 1865, at
Regiment was mustered atTerre Haute, under Colonel John P. Bayard,
on the 2d September, 1862. On the 4th March, 1863, it shared in the
unfortunate affair at Thompson's Station, when in common with the
other regiments forming Coburn's Brigade, it surrendered to the
overpowering forces of the rebel General, Forrest. In June, 1S63,
after an exchange, it again took the field, and won a large portion
of that renown accorded to Indiana. It was mustered out
on the 12th of June, 1865.
Regiment, of La Fayette, left for Kentucky on the 26th August, 1862,
under Colonel Orville S. Hamilton, and shared in the duties assigned
to the 84th. Its record is very creditable, particularly that
portion dealing with the battles of Nashville on the 15th and 16th
December, 1864. It was mustered out on the 6th of June, 1865, and
reported within a few days at Indianapolis for discharge.
Regiment, organized at South Bend, under Colonels Kline G. Sherlock
and N. Gleason, was accepted at Indianapolis on the 31st of August,
1862, and left on the same day en route to the front. From
Springfield and Perryville on the 6th and 8th of October, 1862, to
Mission Ridge, on the 25th of November, 1863, thence through the
Atlanta campaign to the surrender of the Southern armies, it upheld
a gallant name, and met with a true and enthusiastic welcome"home on
the 21st of June, 1865, with a list of absent comrades aggregating
Regiment, organized within the Fourth Congressional District, under
Col. Geo. Humphrey, entered the service on the 29th of August, 1862,
and presently was found among the front ranks in war. It passed
through the campaign in brilliant form down to the time of Gen.
Johnson's surrender to Gen. Grant, after which, on the 7th of June,
1865, it was mustered out at Washington.
Regiment, formed from the material of the Eleventh Congressional
District, was mustered in at Indianapolis, on the 28th of August,
1862, under Col. Chas. D. Murray, and after an exceedingly brilliant
campaign was discharged by Gov. Morton on the 4th of August, 1865.
Regiment, oe Fifth Cavalry, was organized at Indianapolis under the
Colonelcy of Felix W. Graham, between August and November, 1862. The
different companies, joining headquarters at Louisville on the 11th
of March, 1863, engaged in observing tbe movements of the enemy in
the vicinity of Cumberland river until the 19th of April, when a
first and successful brush was had with the rebels. The regiment had
been in 22 engagements during the term of service, captured 640
prisoners, and claimed a list of casualties mounting up to the
number of 829. It was mustered out on the 16th of June, 1865, at
Battalion, of seven companies, was mustered into service at
Evansville, the 1st of October, 1862, under Lieut.-Colonel John
Mehriuger, and in ten days later left for the front. In 1863 the
regiment was completed, and thenceforth took a very prominent
position in the prosecutiou of the war. During its service it lost
81 men, and retired from the field'on the 26th of June, 1865.
Regiment failed in organizing.
Regiment was mustered in at Madison, Ind., on the 20th of October,
1862, under Col. De Witt C. Thomas and Lieut. - Col. Geo. W. Carr.
On the 9th of November it began a movement south, and ultimately
allied itself to Buckland's Brigade of Gen. Sherman's. On the 14th
of May it was among the first regi- ments to enter Jackson, the
capital of Mississippi; was next present at the assault on
Vicksburg, and made a stirring campaign down to the storming of Fort
Blakely on the 9th of April, 1865. It was discharged on the 11th of
August, that year, at Indianapolis, after receiving a public
The 94th and
95th Regiments, authorized to be formed within the Fourth and Fifth
Congressional Districts, respectively, were only partially
organized, and so the few companies that could be mustered were
incorporated with other regiments.
Regiment could only bring together three companies, in the Sixth
Congressional District, and these becoming incorporated with the
99th then in process of formation at South Bend, the number was left
Regiment, raised in the Seventh Congressional District, was mustered
into service at Terre Haute, on the 20th of September, 1861, under
Col. Robert F. Catterson. Reaching the front within a few days, it
was assigned a position near Memphis, and subsequently joined in
Gen. Grant's movement on Vicksburg, by overland route. After a
succession of great exploits with the several armies to which it was
attached, it completed its list of battles at Bentonville, on the
21st of March, 1865, and was disembodied at Washington on the 9th of
June following. During its term of service the regiment lost 341
men, including the three Ensigns killed during the assaults on rebel
positions along the Augusta Railway, from the 15th to the 27th of
Regiment, authorized to be raised within the Eighth Congressional
District, failed in its organization, and the number was left blank
in the army list. The two companies answering to the call of July,
1862, were consolidated with the 100th Regiment then being organized
at Fort Wayne.
Battalion, recruited within the Ninth Congressional District,
completed its muster on the 21st of October, 1862, under Col. Alex.
Fawler, and reported for service a few days later at Memphis, where
it was assigned to the 16th Army Corps. The varied vicissitudes
through which this regiment passed and its remarkable gallantry upon
all occasions, have gained for it a fair fame. It was disembodied on
the 5th of June, 1865, at Washington, and returned to Indianapolis
on the 11th of the same month.
Regiment, recruited from the Eighth and Tenth Congressional
Districts, under Col. Sandford J. Stoughton, mustered into the
service on the 10th of September, left for the front on the 11th of
November, and became attached to the Army of Tennessee on the 26th
of that month, 1862. The regiment participated in twenty-five
battles, together with skirmishing during fully one-third of its
term of service, and claimed a list of casualties mounting up to
four hundred and sixty-four. It was mustered out of the service at
"Washington on the 9th of June, and reported at Indianapolis for
discharge on the 14th of June, 1865.
Regiment was mustered into service at Wabash on the 7th of
September, 1862, under Col. William Garver, and proceeded
immediately to Covington, Kentucky. Its early experiences were
gained in the pursuit of Bragg's army and John Morgan's cavalry, and
these experiences tendered to render the regiment one of the most
valuable in the war for the Republic. From the defeat of John Morgan
at Milton on the 18th of March, 1863, to the fall of Savannah on the
23rd of September, 1863, the regiment won many honors, and retired
from the service on the 25th of June, 1865, at Indianapolis.
THE MORGAN RAID
Regiment, organized under Col. Benjamin M. Gregory from companies of
the Indiana Legion, and numbering six hundred and twenty-three men
and officers, left Indianapolis for the front early in July, and
reported at North Veruon on the 12th of July, 1863, and having
completed a round of duty, returned to Indianapolis on the 17th to
comprising seven companies from Hendricks county, two from Marion
and one from Wayne counties, numbering 681 men and officers, under
Col. Lawrence S. Shuler, was contemporary with the 102d Regiment,
varying only in its service by being mustered out one day before, or
on the 16th of July, 1863.
Regiment of Minute Men was recruited from members of the Legion of
Decatur, La Fayette, Madison, Marion and Rush counties. It comprised
714 men and officers under the command of Col. James Gavin, and was
organized within forty hours after the issue of Governor Morton'6
call for minute men to protect Indiana and Kentucky against the
raids of Gen. John H Morgan's rebel forces. After Morgan's escape
into Ohio the command returned and was musteredouton the 18th of
Regiment consisted of seven companies of the Legion and three of
Minute Men; furnished by Hancock, Union, Randolph, Putnam, Wayne,
Clinton and Madison counties. The command numbered seven hundred and
thirteen men and officers, under Col. Sherlock, and took a leading
part in the pursuit of Morgan. Returning on the 18th of July to
Indianapolis it was mustered out.
Regiment, under Col. Isaac P. Gray, consisted of one company of the
Legion and nine companies of Minute Men, aggregating seveu hundred
and ninety-two men and officers. The counties of Wayne, Randolph,
Hancock, Howard, and Marion were represented in its rank and file.
Like the other regiments organized to repel Morgan, it was
disembodied in July, 1863.
Regiment, under Col. De Witt C. Rugg, was organized in the city of
Indianapolis from the companies' Legion, or Ward Guards. The
successes of this promptly organized regiment were unquestioned.
Regiment comprised five companies of Minute Men, from Tippecanoe
county, two from Hancock, aud one from each of the counties known as
Carroll, Montgomery and Wayne, aggregating 710 men and officers, and
all under the command of Col. W. C. Wilson. After performing the
only duties presented, it returned from Cincinnati on the 18th of
July, and was mustered out.
Regiment, composed of Minute Men from Coles county, Ill., La Porte,
Hamilton, Miami and Randolph counties, Ind., showed a roster of 709
officers and men, under Col. J. R. Mahon. Morgan having escaped from
Ohio, its duties were at an end, and returniug to Indianapolis was
mustered out on the 17th of July, 1863, after seven days' service.
Regiment of Minute Men comprised volunteers from Henry, Madison,
Delaware, Cass, aud Monroe counties. The men were ready and willing,
if not really anxious to go to the front. But happily the
swift-winged Morgan was driven away, and consequently the regiment
was not called to the field.
Regiment, furnished by Montgomery, Lafayette, Rush, Miami, Monroe,
Delaware and Hamilton counties, numbering 733 men and officers,
under Col. Robert Canover, was not requisitioned.
Regiment was formed from nine companies of Minute Men, and the
Mitchell Light Infantry Company of the Legion. Its strength was 703
men and officers, under Col. Hiram F. Braxton. Lawrence, Washington,
Monroe and Orange counties were represented on its roster, and the
historic names of North Vernon and Sunman's Station on its
banner. Returning from tbe South after seven days'
service, it was mustered out on the 17th of July, 1863.
Regiment, furnished by Daviess, Martin, Washington, and Monroe
counties, comprised 526 rank and tile under Col. Geo. W. Barge. Like
the 112th, it was assigned to Gen. Hughes' Brigade, and defended
North Vernon against the repeated attacks of John H. Morgan's
Regiment was wholly organized in Johnson county, under Col.
Lambertson, and participated in the affair of North Vernon.
Returning on the 21st of July, 1863, with its brief but faithful
record, it was disembodied at Indianapolis, 11 days after its
organization. All these regiments were brought into existence to
meet an emergency, and it must be confessed, that had not a sense of
duty, military instinct and love of country animated these
regiments, the rebel General, John H. Morton, and his 6,000 cavalry,
would doubtless have carried destruction as far as the very capital
of their State.
Regiment, organized at Indianapolis in answer to the call of the
President in June, 1863, was mustered into service on the 17th of
August, under Col. J. R. Mahon. Its service was short but brilliant,
and received its discharge at Indianapolis the 10th of February,
Regiment, mustered in on the 17th of August, 1863, moved to Detroit,
Michigan, on the 30th, under Col. Charles Wise. During October it
was ordered to Nicholasville, Kentucky, where it was assigned to
Col. Mahon's Brigade, and with Gen. Willcox's entire command, joined
in the forward movement to Cumberland Gap. After a term on severe
duty it returned to Lafayette and there was disembodied on the 24th
of February, 1864, whither Gov. Morton hastened, to share in the
ceremonies of welcome.
Regiment of Indianapolis was mustered into service on the 17th of
September, 1863, under Col. Thomas J. Brady. After surmounting every
obstacle opposed to it, it returned on the 6th of February, 1864,
and was treated to a public reception on the 9th.
Regiment, whose organization was completed on the 3d of September,
1863, under Col. Geo. W. Jackson, joined the 116th at Nicholasville,
and sharing in its fortunes, returned to the State capital on the
14th of February, 1864. Its casualties were comprised in a list of
15 killed and wounded.
The 119th, or
Seventh Cavalry, was recruited under Col. John P. C. Shanks, and its
organization completed on the 1st of October, 1863. The rank and
file numbered 1,213, divided into twelve companies. On the 7th of
December its arrival at Louisville was reported, and on the 14th it
entered on active service. After the well-fought battle of Guntown,
Mississippi, on the 10th of June, 1864, although it only brought
defeat to our arms, General Grierson addressed the Seventh Cavalry,
saying: " Your General con- gratulates you upon your noble conduct
during the late expedition. Fighting against overwhelming numbers,
under adverse circumstances, your prompt obedience to orders and
unflinching courage commanding the admiration of all, made even
defeat almost a victory. For hours on foot you repulsed the charges
of the enemies' infantry, and again in the saddle you met his
cavalry and turned his assaults into confusion. Your heroic
perseverance saved hundreds of your fellow-soldiers from capture.
Yon have been faithful to your honorable reputation, and have fully
justified the confidence, and merited the high esteem of your
Early in 1865,
a number of these troops, returning from imprisonment in Southern
bastiles, were lost on the steamer "Sultana." The survivors of the
campaign continued in the service for a long period after the
restoration of peace, and finally mustered out.
Regiment. In September, 1863, Gov. Morton received authority from
the War Department to organize eleven regiments within the State for
three years' service. By April, 1864, this organization was
complete, and being transferred to the command of Brigadier General
Alvin P. Hovey, were formed by him into a division for service with
the Army of Tennessee. Of those regiments, the 120th occupied a very
prominent place, both on account of its numbers, its perfect
discipline and high reputation. It was mustered in at Columbus, aud
was in all the great battles of the latter years of the war. It won
high praise from friend and foe, and retired with its bright roll of
honor, after the success of Right and Justice was accomplished.
The 121st, or
Ninth Cavalry, "was mustered in March 1, 1864, under Col. George W.
Jackson, at Indianapolis, and thougr not numerically strong, was so
well equipped and possessed such excellent material that on the 3rd
of May it was ordered to the front. The record of the 121st, though
extending over a brief period, is pregnant with deeds of war of a
high character. On the 26th of April, 1865, these troops, while
returning from their labors in the South, lost 55 men, owing to the
explosion of the engines of the steamer "Sultana." The return of the
386 survivors,on the 5th of September, 1865, was hailed with joy,
and proved how well and dearly the citizens of Indiana loved their
Regiment ordered to be raised in the Third Congressional District,
owing to very few men being then at home, failed in organization,
and the regimental number became a blank.
Regiment was furnished by the Fourth and Seventh Congressional
Districts during the winter of 1863-'64, and mustered, March 9,
1864, at Greensburg, under Col. John C. McQuiston. The command left
for the front the same day, and after winning rare distinction
during the last years of the campaign, particularly in its gallantry
at Atlanta, and its daring movement to escape Forrest's 15,000 rebel
horsemen near Franklin, this regiment was discharged on the 30th of
August, 1865, at Indianapolis, being mustered out on the 25th, at
Raleigh, North Carolina.
Regiment completed its organization by assuming three companies
raised for the 125th Regiment (which was intended to be cavalry),
and was mustered in at Richmond, on the 10th of March, 1864, under
Colonel James Burgess, and reported at Louisville within nine days.
From Buzzard's Roost, on the 8th of May, 1864, under General
Sehofield, Lost Mountain in June, and the capture of Decatur, on the
15th July, to the 21st March, 1865, in its grand advance under
General Sherman from Atlanta to the coast, the regiment won many
laurel wreaths, and after a brilliant campaign, was mustered out at
Greensboro on the 31st August, 1865.
The 125th, or
Tenth Cavalry, was partially organized daring November and December,
1862, at Vincennes, and in February, 1863, completed its numbers and
equipment at Columbus, under Colonel T. M. Pace. Early in May its
arrival in Nashville was reported, and presently assigned active
service. During September and October it eugagcd rebel contingents
under Forrest and Hood, and later in the battles of Nashville,
Reynold's Hill and Sugar Creek, and in 1865 Flint River, Courtland
and Mount Hope. The explosion of the Sultana occasioned the loss of
thirty-five men with Captain Gaffney and Lieutenants Twigg and
Reeves, and in a collision on the Nashville & Louisville
railroad, May, 1864, lost live men killed and several
wounded. After a term of service unsurpassed for its
utility and character it was disembodied at Vicksburg, Mississippi,
ou the 31st August, 1865, and returning to Indianapolis early in
September, was welcomed by the Executive and people.
The 126th, or
Eleventh Cavalry, was organized at Indian- apolis under Colonel
Robert R. Stewart, on the 1st of March, 1864, and left in May for
Tennessee. It took a very conspicuous part in the defeat of Hood
near Nashville, joining in the pursuit as far as Gravelly Springs,
Alabama, where it was dismounted and assigned infantry duty. In
June, 1865, it was remounted at St. Louis, and moved to Fort Riley,
Kansas, and thence to Leavenworth, where it was mustered out on the
19th September, 1865.
The 127th, or
Twelfth Cavalry, was partially organized at Kendallville, in
December, 1863, and perfected at the same place, under Colonel
Edward Anderson, in April, 1864. Reaching the front in May, it went
into active service, took a prominent part in the march through
Alabama and Georgia, and after a service brilliant in all its parts,
retired from the field, after discharge, on the 22d of November,
Regiment was raised in the Tenth Congressional District of the
period, and mustered at Michigan City, under Colonel R. P. De Hart,
on the 18th March, 1864. On the 25th it was reported at the front,
and assigned at once to Schotield's Division. The battles of Resaca,
Dallas, New Hope Church, Lost Mountain, Kenesaw, Atlanta, Jouesboro,
Dalton, Brentwood Hills, Nashville, and the six days' skirmish of
Columbia, were all participated in by the 128th, and it continued in
service long after the termination of hostilities, holding the post
of Raleigh, North Carolina.
Regiment was, like the former, mustered in at Michigan City about
the same time, under Colonel Charles Case, and moving to the front
on the 7th April, 1864, shared in the fortunes of the 123 th until
August 29,1865, when it was disembodied at Charlotte, North
Regiment, mustered at Kokomo on the 12th March, 1864, under Colonel
C. S. Parrish, left en route to the seat of war on the 16th, and was
assigned to the Second Brigade, First Division, Twenty-third Army
Corps, at Nashville, on the 19th. During the war it made for itself
a brilliant history, and returned to Indianapolis with its well-won
honors on the 13th December, 1865.
The 131st, on
Thirteenth Cavalry, under Colonel G. M L. Johnson, was the last
mounted regiment recruited within the State-It left Indianapolis on
the 30th of April, 1864, in infantry trim, and gained its first
honors on the 1st of October in its magnificent defense of
Huntsvillc, Alabama, against the rebel division of General Bnford,
following a line of first-rate military conduct to the end. In
January, 1865, the regiment was remounted, won some distinction in
its modern form, and was mustered out at Vicksburg on the 18th of
November, 1865. The morale and services of the regiment were such
that its Colonel was promoted Brevet Brigadier-General in
consideration of its merited honors.
ONE HUNDRED—DAYS VOLUNTEERS.
Morton, in obedience to the offer made under his auspices to the
general Government to raise volunteer regiments for one hundred
days' service, issued his call on the 23rd of April, 1864. This
movement suggested itself to the inventive genius of the war
Governor as a most important step toward the subjection or
annihilation of the military supporters of slavery within a year,
and thus conclude a war, which, notwithstanding its holy claims to
the name of Battles for Freedom, was becoming too protracted, and
proving too detrimental to the best interests of the Union. In
answer to the esteemed Governor's call eight regiments came forward,
and formed The Grand Division of the Volunteers.
Regiment, under Col. S. C. Vance, was furnished by Indianapolis,
Shelbyville, Franklin and Danville, and leaving on the 18th of May,
1864, reached the front where it joined the forces acting in
Regiment, raised at Richmond on the 17th of May, 1864, under Col. R.
N. Hudson, comprised nine companies, and followed the 132d.
Regiment, comprising seven companies, was organized at Indianapolis
on the 25th of May, 1864, under Col. James Gavin, and proceeded
immediately to the front.
Regiment was raised from the volunteers of Bedford, Noblesville and
Goshen, with seven companies from the First Congressional District,
under Col. W C. Wilson, on the 25th of May, 1864, and left at once
en route to the South.
Regiment comprised ten companies, raised in the same districts as
those contributing to the 135th, under Col. J. W. Foster, and left
for Tennessee on the 24th of May, 1864.
Regiment, under Col. E. J. Robinson, comprising volunteers from
Kokomo, Zanesville, Melora, Sullivan, Rockville, and Owen and
Lawrence counties, left en route to Tennessee on the 28th of May,
1864, having completed organization the day previous.
Regiment was formed of seven companies from the Ninth, with three
from the Eleventh Congressional District (unreformed), and mustered
in at Indianapolis on the 27th of May, 1864, under Col. J. H.
Shannon. This fine regiment was reported at the front within a few
Regiment, under Col. Geo. Humphrey, was raised from volunteers
furnished by Kendallville, Lawrenceburg, Elizaville, Knightstown,
Connersville, Newcastle, Portland, Vevay, New Albany, Metamora,
Columbia City, New Haven and New Philadelphia. It was constituted a
regiment on the 8th of June, 1864, and appeared among the defenders
in Tennessee during that month. All these regiments gained
distinction, and won an enviable position in the glorious history of
the war and the no less glorious one of their own State in its
President's call of July, 1864.
Regiment was organized with many others, in response to the call of
the nation. Under its Colonel, Thomas J. Brady, it proceeded to the
South on the 15th of November, 1S64. Having taken a most prominent
part in all the desperate struggles, round Nashville and
Murfreesboro in 1864, to Town Creek Bridge on the 20th of February,
1865, and completed a continuous round of severe duty to the end,
arrived at Indianapolis for discharge on the 21st of July, where
Governor Morton received it with marked honors.
Regiment was only partially raised, and its few companies, were
incorporated with Col. Brady's command.
Regiment was recruited at Fort Wayne, under Col. I. M. Comparet, and
was mustered into service at Indianapolis on the 3d of November,
1864. After a steady and exceedingly effective service, it returned
to Indianapolis on the 16th of July, 1865.
Was answered by
Indiana in the most material terras. No less than fourteen
serviceable regiments were placed at the disposal of the General
Regiment was mustered in, under Col J. T. Grill, on the 21st
February, 1865, reported at Nashville on the 24th, and after a brief
but brilliant service returned to the State on the 21st October,
Regiment, under Col. G. W. Riddle, was mustered in on the 6th March,
1865, left on the 9th for Harper's Ferry, took an effective part in
the close of the campaign and reported at Indianapolis for discharge
on the 9th August, 1865.
Regiment, under Col. W. A. Adams, left Indianapolis on the 18th of
February, 1865, and joining Gen. Steadmau's division at Chattanooga
on the 23d was sent on active service. Its duties were discharged
with rare fidelity until mustered out in January, 1866.
Regiment, under Col. M. C. Welsh, left Indianapolis on the 11th of
March en route to Harper's Ferry, where it was assigned to the army
of the Shenandoah. The duties ot this regiment were severe and
continuous, to the period of its muster out at Baltimore on the 31st
of August, 1865.
Regiment, comprised among other volunteers from Benton, Lafayette
and Henry counties, organized nnder Col. Milton Peden on the 13th of
March, 1865, at Indianapolis. It shared a fortune similar to that of
the 146th, and returned for discharge on the 9th of August, 1865.
Regiment, under Col. N. R. Ruckle, left the State capital on the
28th of February, 1865, and reporting at Nashville, was sent on
guard and garrison duty into the heart of Tennessee. Returning to
Indianapolis on the 8th of September, it received a final discharge.
Regiment was organized at Indianapolis by Col. W. H. Fairbanks, and
left on the 3d of March, 1865, for Tennessee, where it had the honor
of receiving the surrender of the rebel forces, and military stores
of Generals Roddy and Polk. The regiment was welcomed home by Morton
on the 29th of September.
Regiment, under Col. M. B. Taylor, mustered in on the 9th of March,
1865, left for the South on the 13th and reported at Harper's Ferry
on the 17th. This regiment did guard duty at Charleston, Winchester,
Stevenson Station, Gordon's Springs, and after a service
characterized by utility, returned on the 9th of August to
Indianapolis for discharge.
Regiment, under Col. J. Healy, arrived at Nashville on the 9th of
March, 1865. On the 14th a movement on Tullahoma was undertaken, and
three months later returned to Nashville for garrison duty to the
close of the war. It was mustered out on the 22d of September, 1S65.
Regiment was organized at Indianapolis, under Col. W. W Griswold,
and left for Harper's Ferry on the 18th of March, 1865. It was
attached to the provisional divisions of Shenandoah Army, and
engaged until the 1st of September, when it was discharged at
Regiment was organized at Indianapolis on the 1st of March, 1865,
under Col. O. H. P. Carey. It reported at Louisville, and by order
of Gen. Palmer, was held on service in Kentucky, where it was
occupied in the exciting but very dangerous pastime of fighting
Southern guerrillas. Later it was posted at Louisville, until
mustered out on the 4th of September, 1865.
Regiment, organized under Col. Frank Wilcox, left Indianapolis under
Major Simpson, for Parkersburg, W. Virginia, on the 28th of April,
1865. It was assigned to guard and garrison duty until its discharge
on the 4th of August, 1865.
Regiment, recruited throughout the State, left on the 26th of April
for Washington, and was afterward assigned to a provisional Brigade
of the Ninth Army Corps at Alexandria. The companies of this
regiment were scattered over the country,—at Dover, Centreville,
Wilmington, and Salisbury, but becoming reunited on the 4th of
August, 1865, it was mustered out at Dover, Delaware.
Battalion, under Lieut.-Colonel Charles M. Smith, left en route to
the Shenandoah Valley on the 27th of April, 1865, where it continued
doing guard duty to the period of its muster out the 4th of August,
1865, at Winchester, Virginia. On the return of these regiments to
Indianapolis, Gov. Morton and the people received them with all that
characteristic cordiality and enthusiasm peculiarly their own.
CAVALRY COMPANY OF INDIANA VOLUNTEERS.
The people of
Crawford county, animated with that inspiriting patriotism which the
war drew forth, organized this mounted company on the 25th of July,
1863, and placed it at the disposal of the Government, and it was
mustered into service by order of the War Secretary, on the 13th of
August, 1863, under Captain L. Lamb. To the close of the year it
engaged in the laudable pursuit of arresting deserters and enforcing
the draft; however, on the 18th of January, 1864, it was
reconstituted and incorporated with the Thirteenth Cavalry, with
which it continued to serve until the treason of Americans against
America was conquered.
Regiment of Colored Troops was recruited through-out the State of
Indiana, and under Lieut-Colonel Charles S. Russell, left
Indianapolis tor the fronton the 24th of April, 1864. The regiment
acted very well in its first engagement with the rebels at White
House, Virginia, and again with Gen. Sheridan's Cavalry, in the
swamps of the Chickahominy. In the battle of the "Crater," it lost
half its roster; but their place was soon filled by other colored
recruits from the State, and Russell promoted to the Colonelcy, and
afterward to Brevet Brigadier-General, when he was succeeded in the
command by Major Thomas H. Logan. During the few months of its
active service it accumulated quite a history, and was ultimately
discharged, on the 8th of January, 1866, at Indianapolis. batteries
of light artillery.
organized at Evansville, under Captain Martin Klauss, and mustered
in on the 16th of August, 1861, joined Gen. Fremont's army
immediately, and entering readily upon its salutary course, aided in
the capture of 950 rebels and their position at Blackwater creek. On
March the 6th, 1862 at Elkhorn Tavern, and on the 8th at Pea Ridge,
the battery performed good service. Port Gibson, Champion Hill,
Jackson, the Teche country, Sabine Cross Roads, Grand Encore, all
tell of its efficacy. In 1864 it was subjected to reorganization,
when Lawrence Jacoby was raised to the Captiancy, vice Klauss
resigned. After a long term of useful service, it was mustered out
at Indianapolis on the 18th of August, 1865.
was organized, under Captain D. G. Rabb, at Indianapolis on the 9th
of August, 1861, and one month later proceeded to the front. It
participated in the campaign against Col. Coffee's irregular troops
and the rebellious Indians of the Cherokee nation. From Lone Jack,
Missouri, to Jenkin's Ferry and Fort Smith it won signal honors
until its reorganization in 1864, and even after, to June, 1865, it
maintained a very fair reputation.
Battery, under Capt. W. W. Frybarger, was organized and mustered in
at Connersville on the 24th of August, 1861, and proceeded
immediately to join Fremont's Army of the Missouri. Moon's Mill,
Kirksville, Meridian, Fort de Russy, Alexandria, Round Lake, Tupelo,
Clinton and Tallahatchie are names which may be engraven on its
guns. It participated in the affairs before Nashville on the 15th
and 16th of December, 1864, when General Hood's Army was put to
route, and at Fort Blakely, outside Mobile, after which it returned
home to report for discharge, August 21, 1865.
Battery, recruited in La Porte, Porter and Lake counties, reported
at the front early in October, 1861, and at once assumed a prominent
place in the army of Gen. Buell. Again under Rosencraus and McOook
and under General Sheridan at Stone River, the services of this
battery were much praised, and it retained its well-earned
reputation to the very day of its muster out —the 1st of August,
1865. Its first organization was completed under Capt. A. K. Bush,
and reorganized in Oct., 1864, under Capt B. F. Johnson.
Battery was furnished by La Porte, Allen, "Whitley and Noble
counties, organized under Capt. Peter Simonson, and mustered into
service on the 22d of November, 1861. It comprised four six
pounders, two being rifled cannon, and two twelve-pounder Howitzers
with a force of 158 men. Reporting at Camp Gilbert, Louisville, on
the 29th, it was shortly after assigned to the division of Gen.
Mitchell, at Bacon Creek. During its term, it served in twenty
battles and numerous petty actions, losing its Captain at Pine
Mountain. The total loss accruing to the battery was 84 men and
officers and four guns. It was mustered out on the 20th of July,
Battery was recruited at Evansville, under Captain Frederick Behr,
and left, on the 2d of Oct., 1861, for the front, reporting at
Henderson, Kentucky, a few days after. Early in 1862 it joined Gen.
Sherman's army at Paducah, and participated in the battle of Shiloh,
on the 6th of April. Its history grew in brilliancy until the era of
peace insured a cessation of its great labors.
Battery comprised volunteers from Terre Haute, Arcadia, Evausville,
Salem, Lawrenceburg, Columbus, Vincennes and Indianapolis, under
Samuel J. Harris as its first Captain, who was succeeded by G. R.
Shallow and O. H. Morgan after its reorganization. From the siege of
Corinth to the capture of Atlanta it performed vast services, and
returned to Indianapolis on the 11th of July, 1865, to be received
by the people and hear its history from the lips of the veteran
patriot and Governor of the State.
Battery, under Captain G. T. Cochran, arrived at the front on the
26th of February, 1862, and subsequently entered upon its real
duties at the siege of Corinth. It served with distinction
throughout, and concluded a well-made campaign under "Will Stokes,
who was appointed Captain of the companies with which it was
consolidated in March, 1865.
Battery. The organization of this battery was perfected at
Indianapolis, on the 1st of January, 1862, under Capt. N. S.
Thompson. Moving to the front it participated in the affairs of
Shiloh, Corinth, Queen's Hill, Meridian, Fort Dick Taylor, Fort de
Russy, Henderson's Hill, Pleasant Hill, Cotile Landing, Bayou
Rapids, Mansura, Chicot, and many others, winning a name in each
engagement. The explosion of the steamer Eclipse at Johnsonville,
above Paducah, on Jan. 27, 1865, resulted in the destruction of 58
men, leaving only ten to represent the battery. The survivors
reached Indianapolis on the 6th of March, and were mustered out.
Battery was recruited at Lafayette, and mustered in under Capt.
Jerome B. Cox, in January, 1861. Having passed through the Kentucky
campaign against Gen. Bragg, it participated in many of the great
engagements, and finally returned to report for discharge on the 6th
of July, 1864, having, in the mean- time, won a verv fair fame.
Battery was organized at Lafayette, and mustered in at Indianapolis
under Capt. Arnold Sutermeister, on the 17th of December, 1861. On
most of the principal battle-fields, from Shiloh, in 1862, to the
capture of Atlanta, it maintained a high reputation for military
excellence, and after consolidation with the Eighteenth, mustered
out on the 7th of June, 1865.
Battery was recruited at Jeffersonville and subsequently mustered in
at Indianapolis. On the 6th of March, 1862, it reached Nashville,
having been previously assigned to Buell's Army. In April its
Captain, G. W. Sterling, resigned, and the position devolved on
Capt. James E. White, who, in turn, was succeeded by James A.
Dunwoody. The record of the battery holds a first place in the
history of the period, and enabled both men and officers to look
back with pride upon the battle-fields of the land. It was ordered
home in June, 1865, and on reaching Indianapolis, on the 1st of
July, was mustered out on the 7th of that month.
Battery was organized under Captain Sewell Coulson, during the
winter of 1861, at Indianapolis, and proceeded to the front in
February, 1862. During the subsequent months it w as
occupied in the pursuit of John H. Morgan's raiders, and aided
effectively in driving them from Kentucky. This artillery company
returned from the South on the 4th of July, 1865, and were
discharged the day following.
Battery, recruited in Wabash, Miami, Lafayette, and Huntington
counties, under Captain M. H. Kidd, and Lieutenant J. W. H. McGuire,
left Indianapolis on the 11th of April, 1862, and within a few
months one portion of it was captured at Lexington by Gen. Forrest's
great cavalry command. The main battery lost two guns and two men at
Guntown, on the Mississippi, but proved more successful at Nashville
and Mobile. It arrived home on the 29th of August, 1865, received a
public welcome, and its final discharge.
Battery, under Captain I. C. H. Von Sehlin, was retained on duty
from the date of its organization, at Indianapolis, until the 5th of
July, 1862, when it was moved to Harper's Ferry. Two months later
the gallant defense of Maryland Heights was set at naught by the
rebel Stonewall Jackson, and the entire garrison surrendered. Being
paroled, it was reorganized at Indianapolis, and appeared again in
the field in March, 1863, where it won a splendid renown on every
well-fought field to the close of the war. It was
mustered out on the 24th of June, 1865.
Battery was organized at Lafayette, under Capt. Charles A. Nay lor,
and on the 1st of June, 1862, left for Washington. Moving to the
front with Gen. Pope's command, it participated in the battle of
Slaughter Mountain, on the 9th of August, and South Mountain, and
Antietam, under Gen. McClellan. This battery was engaged in a large
number of general engagements and flying column affairs, won a very
favorable record, and returned on the 5th of July, 1865.
Battery, under Capt Milton L. Miner, was mustered in at
Indianapolis, on the 20th of May, 1862, left for the front on the
5th of July, and subsequently engaged in the Gettysburg expedition,
was present at Harper's Ferry, July 6,1863, and at Opgquan on the
19th of September. Fisher's Hill, New Market, and Cedar Creek
brought it additional honors, and won from Gen. Sheridan a tribute
of praise for its service on these battle grounds. Ordered from
Winchester to Indianapolis it was mustered out there on the 3d of
Battery, under Capt. Eli Lilly, left for the front in August, 1862,
but did not take a leading part in the cam- paign until 1863, when,
under Gen. Rosencrans, it appeared prominent at Hoover's Gap. From
this period tc the affairs of West Point and Macon, it performed
first-class service, and returned to its State on the 25th of June,
Battery was mustered into service at Indianapolis, on the 5th of
August, 1862, under Capt. S. J. Harris, and proceeded immediately
afterward to the front, where it participated in the campaign
against Gen. Bragg. It was present at every post of danger to the
end of the war, when, after the surrender of Johnson's army, it
returned to Indianapolis. Reaching that city on the 6th of June,
1865, it was treated to a public reception and received the
congratulations of Gov. Morton. Four days later it was discharged.
Battery, organized under Capt. Frank A. Rose, left the State capital
on the 17th of December, 1862, for the front, and reported
immediately at Henderson, Kentucky. Subsequently Captain Rose
resigned, and, in 1863, under Capt. Osborn, turned over its guns to
the 11th Indiana Battery, and was assigned to the charge of siege
guns at Nashville. Gov. Morton had the battery supplied with new
field pieces, and by the 5th of October, 1863, it was again in the
field, where it won many horjors under Sherman, and continued to
exercise a great influence until its return on the 23d of June,
Twenty-first Battery recruited at Indianapolis, under the direction
of Captain W. W. Andrew, left on the 9th of September, 1862, for
Covington, Kentucky, to aid in its defense against the advancing
forces of Gen. Kirby Smith. It was engaged in numerous military
affairs and may be said to acquire many honors, although its record
is stained with the names of seven deserters. The battery was
discharged on the 21st of June, 1865.
Twenty-second Battery was mustered in at Indianapolis on the 15th of
December, 1862, under Capt. B. F. Denning, and moved at once to the
front. It took a very conspicuous part in the pursuit of Morgan's
Cavalry, and in many other affairs. It threw the first shot into
Atlanta, and lost its Captain, who was killed in the skirmish line,
on the 1st of July. "While the list of casualties numbers only 35,
that of desertions numbers 37. This battery was received with public
honors on its return, the 25th of June, 1865, and mustered out on
the 7th of the same month.
Twenty-third Battery, recruited in October 1862, and mustered in on
the 8th of November, under Capt. I. H. Myers, proceeded south, after
having rendered very efficient services at home in guarding thecamps
of rebel prisoners. In July, 1865, the battery took an active part,
under General Boyle's command, in routing and capturing the raiders
at Brandenburgh, and subsequently to the close of the war performed
very brilliant exploits, reaching Indianapolis in June, 1865. It was
discharged ou the 27th of that month.
Twenty-fourth Battery, under Capt. I. A. Simras, was enrolled for
service on the 29th of November, 1862; remained at Indianapolis on
duty until the 13thof March, 1863, when it left for the field. From
its participation in the Cumberland River campaign, to its last
engagement at Columbia, Tennessee, it aided materially in bringing
victory to the Union ranks and made for itself a widespread fame.
Arriving at Indianapolis on the 28th of July, it was publicly
received, and in five days later disembodied.
Twenty-fifth Battery was recruited in September and October, 1864,
and mustered into service for one year, under Capt. Frederick C.
Sturm. December 13th, it reported at Nashville, and took a prominent
part in the defeat of Gen. Hood's army. Its duties until July, 1865,
were continuous, when it returned to report for final discharge.
Twenty-sixth Battery, or "Wilder's Battery," was recruited under
Capt. I. T. Wilder, of Greensburg, in May, 1861; but was not
mustered in as an artillery company. Incorporating itself with a
regiment then forming at Indianapolis it was mustered as company
"A," of the 17th Infantry, with Wilder as Lieutenant- Colonel of the
regiment. Subsequently, at Elk Water, Virginia, it was converted
into the "First Independent Battery," and became known as " Rigby's
Battery." The record of this battery is as brilliant as any won
during the war. On every field it has won a distinct reputation; it
was well worthy the enthusiastic reception given to it on its return
to Indianapolis on the 11th and 12th of July, 1865. During its term
of service it was subject to many transmutations; but in every phase
of its brief history, areputation for gallantry and patriotism was
maintained which now forms a living testimonial to its services to
number of battles in the " War of the Rebellion " in which the
patriotic citizens of the great and noble State of Indiana were more
or less engaged, was as follows:
................No. of Battles.
sent forth to the defense of the Republic in the hour of its
greatest peril, when a host of her own sons, blinded by some unholy
infatuation, leaped to arms that they might trample upon the
liberty-giving principles of the nation, have been passed in very
brief review. The authorities chosen for the dates, names, and
figures are the records of the State, and the main subject is based
upon the actions of those 267,000 gallant men of Indiana who rushed
to arms in defense of all for which their fathers bled, leaving
their wives and children and homes in the guardianship of a truly
The relation of
Indiana to the Republic was then established; for when the
population of the State, at the time her sons went forth to
participate in war for the maintenance of the Union, is brought into
comparison with all other States and countries, it will be apparent
that the sacrifices made by Indiana from 1861-'65 equal, if not
actually exceed, the noblest of those recorded in the history of
ancient or modern times.
the terrible inundation of modern wickedness, which threatened to
deluge the country in a sea of blood and rob, a people of their
richest, their most prized inheritance, the State rose above all
precedent, and under the benign influence of patriotism, guided by
the well-directed zeal of a wise Governor and Government, sent into
the field an army that in numbers was gigantic, and in moral and
physical excellence never equaled
It is laid down
in the official reports, furnished to the War Department, that over
200,000 troops were specially organized to aid in crushing the
legions of the slave-holder; that no less than 50,000 militia were
armed to defend the State, and that the large, but absolutely
necessary number of commissions issued was 17,114. All this proves
the scientific skill and military economy exercised by the Governor,
and brought to the aid of the people in a most terrible emergency;
for he, with some prophetic sense of the gravity of the situation,
saw that unless the greatest powers of the Union were put forth to
crush the least justifiable and most pernicious of all rebellions
holding a place in the record of nations, the best blood of the
country would flow in a vain attempt to avert a catastrophe which,
if prolonged for many years, would result in at least the moral and
commercial ruin of the country.
The part which
Indiana took in the waragainst the Rebellion is one of which the
citizens of the State may well be proud. In the number of troops
furnished, and in the amount of voluntary contributions rendered,
Indiana, in proportion and wealth, stands equal to any of her sister
States. " It is also a subject of gratitude and thankfulness," said
Gov. Morton, in his message to the Legislature, " that, while the
number of troops furnished by Indiana alone in this great contest
would have done credit to a first-class nation, measured by the
standard, of previous wars, not a single battery or battalion from
this State has brought reproach upon the national flag, and no
disaster of the war can be traced to any want of fidelity, courage
or efficiency on the part of any Indiana officer. The endurance,
heroism, intelligence and skill of the officers and soldiers sent
forth by Indiana to do battle for the Union, have shed a luster on
our beloved State, of which any people might justly be proud.
Without claiming super ority over our loyal sister States, it is but
justice to the brave men who have represented us on almost every
battle-field of the war, to say that their deeds have placed Indiana
in the front rank of those heroic States which rushed to the rescue
of the imperiled Government of the nation The total number of troops
furnished by the State for all terms of service exceeds 200,000 men,
much the greater portion of them being for three years; and in
addition thereto not less than 50,000 State militia have from time
to time been called into active service to repel rebel raids and
defend our southern border from invasion."
AFTER THE WAR.
In 1867 the
Legislature comprised 91 Republicans and 59 Democrats. Soon after
the commencement of the session, Gov. Morton resigned his office in
consequence of having been elected to the U. S. Senate, and
Lieut-Gov. Conrad Baker assumed the Executive chair during the
remainder of Morton's term. This Legislature, by a very decisive
vote, ratified the 14th amendment to the Federal Constitution,
constituting all persons born in the country or subject to its
jurisdiction, citizens of the United States and of the State wherein
they reside, without regard to race or color; reducing the
Congressional representation in any State in which there should be a
restriction of the exercise of the elective franchise on account of
race or color; disfranchising persons therein named who shall have
engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the United States; and
declaring that the validity of the public debt of the United States
authorized by law, shall not be questioned.
Legislature also passed an act providing for the registry of votes,
the punishment of fraudulent practices at elections, and for the
apportionment and compensation of a Board of Registration; this
Board to consist, in each township, of two freeholders appointed by
the County Commissioners, together with the trustee of such
township; in cities the freeholders are to be appointed in each ward
by the city council. The measures of this law are very strict, and
are faithfully executed. No cries of fraud in elections are heard in
connection with Indiana.
Legislature also divided the State into eleven Congressional
Districts and apportioned their representation; enacted a law for
the protection and indemnity of all officers and soldiers of the
United States and soldiers of the Indiana Legion, for acts done in
the military service of the United States, and in the military
service of the State, and in enforcing the laws and preserving the
peace of the country; made definite appropriations to the several
benevolent institutions of the State, and adopted several measures
for the encouragement of education, etc.
Indiana was the first in the field of national politics, both the
principal parties holding State conventions early in the year. The
Democrats nominated T. A. Hendricks for Governor, and denounced in
their platform the reconstruction policy of the Republicans;
recommended that United States treasury notes be substituted for
national bank currency; denied that the General Government had a
right to interfere with the question of suffrage in any of the
States, and opposed negro suffrage, etc.; while the Republicans
nominated Conrad Baker for Governor, defended its reconstruction
policy, opposed a further contraction of the currency, etc. The
campaign was an excitiug one, and Mr. Baker was elected Governor by
a majority of only 961. In the Presidential election that soon
followed the State gave Grant 9,572 more than Seymour.
Indiana presented claims to the Government for about three and a
half millions dollars for expeuses incurred in the war, and
$1,958,917.94: was allowed. Also, this year, a
legislative commission reported that $413,599.48 were allowed to
parties suffering loss by the Morgan raid.
Governor Baker obtained a site for the House of Refuge. (See a
subsequent page.) The Soldiers' and Seamen's Home, near Knightstown,
originally established by private enterprise and benevolence, and
adopted by the Legislature of the previous year, was in a good
condition. Up to that date the institution had afforded relief and
temporary subsistence to 400 men who had been disabled in the war. A
substantial brick building had been built for the home, while the
old buildings were used for an orphans' department, in which were
gathered 86 children of deceased soldiers.
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails