Genealogy Trails

JENNINGS COUNTY, INDIANA
BIOGRAPHIES
line


See also Men of Progress in Indiana - John J. Cooper, LIncoln Dixon, John C. New

Who's who in Finance, Banking, and Insurance, 1911

CHARLES M. COOPER
The Voters' Directory. State and National Nominees of the Various Parties. Brief Biographies of the Candidates.
For Congress Seventh District.
Democrat, was born in Jennings County, Indiana, in 1855. When a child he removed with his parents to Indianapolis, where he has since lived. He graduated from the Indianapolis High School and from Cornell University. After leaving Cornell, he entered upon the practice of law. His name also appears upon the People's party ticket. He has never before been a candidate for office.
The Indianapolis News, Nov 2, 1896

PIERSON CONKLING
The subject of this sketch, was one of a family of nine children, of whom six are living at this writing. At the age of ten years his father moved with his family to the country, a few miles from Cincinnati, and engaged in farming with good success until his death. And he followed the same occupation until 1805, when he sold his farm, and in 1868 came to Indiana and engaged in a general merchandise business; first at Nebraska, Indiana, and later in 1874 at North Vernon, where he still resides. He was married in November, 1845, to Miss Abby, daughter of the Rev. J. D. Oonrey, of Butler county, Ohio. She died in 1850, leaving two children, James D., who is in business at Kentland, Indiana, and Anna R., who died at the age of six years. Mr Conkling was married again in 1855 to Miss Sarah J. Travis. They had two children, Elmer P., (dead) and Frank T., who is in business in Greenville, Ohio. Mr. Conkling was married again September 10th, 1872, to his present wife, Miss Martha M. Burke, of Bethel, Ohio. They have no children. He has ever been in active business life, and has been blessed with remarkably good health, and is one of the most progressive business men and enterprising merchants, builders and contractors in the county.

W.M. DEPUTY
Director of Teacher's Training and Extension Work, Kansas City, Mo., Public Schools>
People of Bemidji, Beltrami county and Northern Minnesota, meet Mr. M.W. Deputy, the first president of the new Sixth state normal school, Bemidji. Mr. Deputy was born on a farm in Jennings county, near Vernon, Ind. His early education was in the rural schools where he had his first teaching experience.
For four years he was principal of the township high schools of Hayden and Paris, Ind., and served six years as county superintendent of Jennings county, Indiana, during which time the county system of high schools was organized under his leadership. Another feature of his work as county superintendent was the consolidation of small rural schools, which movement, at that time, was just beginning in Indiana.>
During four years he was superintendent of city schools at Columbia City, Ind. From this position he was called to the Eastern State Normal school at Charleston, Ill, to become the head of Model school as successor to Dean Coffman now at Minnesota university.

Taught at Mankato
From 1911 till 1916 he was teacher of pedagogy and the director of the elementary school in the state normal school at Mankato, Minn. While there he organized the junior high school department in the normal school, took an active part in a closer unification of kindergarten and primary education. He was much interested, also, in the welfare of the rural schools and in the development of a rural school department in the normal school.
He is now serving his third year as director of teachers' training and extension work in the public schools of Kansas City, Mo. In this position he has organized a standard two-year normal school course for the training of young teachers desiring to enter service, has also held summer schools for teachers of the city system and has conducted Saturday classes for teachers in service. In these summer schools and Saturday classes more than 1,300 teachers have been enrolled during the past two years.

Professional Preparation
Graduate from the two-year course, Southern Indiana Normal school, Mitchell, Ind.
Four years a student in Indiana State university, receiving the A.B. degree in philosophy and psychology in 1904, and the A.M. degree in education in 1905. Has since done graduate work in Teachers' College Columbia University, New York City.
Nineteen years an active member of the National Educational association.
The new normal head is married and has a daughter, now a graduate student in the Indiana university.>
The Bemidji Daily Pioneer, Feb 24, 1919 (Bemidji, Minn)

JOSEPH DITLINGER
Joseph Ditlinger, one of the representative and progressive stockmen of northern Wyoming, was born on October 5, 1862, in Jennings county, Indiana, where his parents, Adam and LaBelle Ditlinger, were prosperous farmers, having come there from their native state of Georgia, and carried on their farming industry successfully until the death of the father in 1887, and there the mother is still living on the old homestead. Joseph remained at home until he was fourteen years old, attending the public school in his vicinity as he had opportunity, and then, in 1876, he went to Nevada, where he worked on ranches and rode the range until 1881. He then came to Wyoming, locating at Cheyenne, and engaged in freighting for two years from that town to the northern part of the state for cattle outfits. In 1883 he settled in Crook county, there finding congenial employment as a rangerider and cowboy until the autumn of 1887, when he took up the ranch on which he now lives on Horse Creek, thirty-seven miles north of Gillette, where he has since remained, engaged in raising sheep and horses on a scale of increasing magnitude. His business is prosperous and progressive, because he makes it so. His energy and his diligent attention to its every detail, his readiness in action, quickness of perception and breadth of view, combined with his knowledge of men and business methods, give him full command of the situation, and would compel success, even if the conditions were unfavorable, which they are not, for his ranch is well located, substantially improved and highly cultivated. Its natural facilities for his enterprise have been concentrated, intensified and systematized by care and labor, having been by him many times multiplied in their productiveness. In politics Mr. Ditlinger is an uncompromising Republican, who always takes an active interest in the affairs of his party, giving its principles and candidates loyal and serviceable support, yet seeking none of its honors for himself. He is also deeply interested in the welfare of the community in which he lives, being ready to aid in the development of every good enterprise for the advancement and improvement of the county or state. Fraternally, he is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, holding membership in the lodge at Gillette, >and in church relations is a Catholic.
[Source: "Progressive men of the state of Wyoming", 1901 ... By A.W. Bowen & Co - sub. by K.T.]

LINCOLN DIXON
A prominent young lawyer, North Vernon, Indiana, was born at Vernon, Jennings county, Indiana, February 9th, 1860. His father's native town is Paris, same county and State, where he was born October 26th, 1826. He was a man of prominence in his day. During the war he held the office of Provost Marshal, and was for eight years Sheriff of Jennings county. His death occurred June 10th, 1869. Lincoln Dixon's mother was a Miss Belinda Foster, who was born in Jefferson county, Indiana, November 25th, 1826. Lincoln Dixon's early schooling was received at the Jennings Academy at Vernon, and in 1876 he entered the State University at Bloomington, Indiana, and from there he graduated with honor in 1880.
He at once began the study of law, a profession for which he was so well by nature adapted. He was admitted to the bar, began practice and has been successful from the start.
In the House of Representatives, session of 1882-83, he was chosen Reading Clerk for that body. In 1884 he was nominated by the Democratic party for Prosecuting Attorney of his Judicial District, the sixth, composed of Jennings, Scott and Ripley counties, the duties of which office he discharged with such great satisfaction to his constituents that he was renominated in 1886, and elected, and again in 1888. In the last election the fight between the parties in the district was very hot and close, and while the Republicans carried the District by two hundred majority, Mr. Dixon was triumphantly elected with a majority of 207. He is an honorable young man, a bright lawyer and a good speaker, and is making a remarkable record. Mr. Dixon was married to Miss Kate Storey, of Ver-non, October 16th, 1884.

MRS. ANNA FEATHERSTONE
Indianapolis News (Indianapolis, Marion County, IN) 12 Nov 1896 - transcribed by J.S.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD
Centennial Anniversary of Mrs. Anna Featherstone

Mrs. Anna Featherstone,of 352 South Alabama street, was 100 years old today. Friends, neighbors and relatives entered into a conspiracy to give the old lady a surprise party this evening in honor of the event. Mrs. Featherstone is cheerful and bright, and in spite of her remarkable age, her intellect is in no wise impaired. She is feeble and has been ill for some weeks, so that she is confined to her bed, but, as she says, "I don't feel a bit sick, I'm just as strong as I have been any time this thirty year, but I have a dinging in my head that bothers me." She lives alone in her little cottage and relies for company upon her neighbors and her children and grandchildren, who come often to see her.

Mrs. Featherstone was born in Lonsborough parish, Ireland, November 12, 1796. She was married in Ireland to Jeremiah Featherstone. When she was twenty-nine years old they came to this country and settled in Trenton, N.J.,her husband following the occupation of stone mason.Mrs. Featherstone kept boarders and accumulated enough money so that when her husband came to Indiana to work on the construction of the J.M.&I. railroad, she bought 350 acres of land near North Vernon, Ind. She lived there for forty-seven years. Her husband died twelve years ago, at eight-seven years, and after his death, Mrs. Featherstone came to Indianapolis to be near some of her children who had settled her. She has had twelve children, and four sons and three daughters survive. She has four grandchildren living in Indianapolis, one of whom, Timothy Crannon, is a member of the police force. She has two great-grandchildren living near Scipio, Ind., and she hopes to have great-great grandchildren before she dies. Mrs. Featherstone looks forward to her end peacefully and hopefully, and she is continually thinking that each week will be her last on earth. "I'll never see another birthday," she said. "I have only about a week more on this earth."

Neighbors who were with her and who have known her for years say that this is a fancy that has been dominant with her with the last five years, and that to the eye she seems as well and hearty now as she did then. One of the old lady's daughters is sixty-five years old, and nothing pleases Mrs. Featherstone more than to tell her that she is really looking younger than her daughter. A number of presents have been sent to the little cottage, but the one that pleased the old lady most was a lace mob-cap. "It's a finer cap than I ever wore," she said,"It will do  nicely for me to be buried in."

NANCY HAMBLEN
HAMBLEN – Nancy, whose maiden name was Daughtry, was born in Lee co, Va, 19 June 1784; joined the ME Church at the age of 16; was married at 20; emigrated from Va to Ind in 1814. The first 6 yrs she spent in Jennings co, then removed to Bartholomew, thence to Brown co, where the rest of her life was spent. For many years she lived with Bro WP Taggart and family, her son-in-law. Her husband preceded her twenty-five years. After coming to this State she united with the United Brethren Church. When Liberty Chapel was organized about 2 yrs ago she had her name transferred to our Church … A few months before her death she went to visit her youngest dau, Mrs Hamilton Mead. She died in great peace, 24 June 1877, at the ripe age of 93 yrs. – J Branstetter
(Source: The St. Louis Christian Advocate; Compiled and Published by Mrs. Howard W. Woodruff, C.G.R.S.; Obituaries, July 1877 – Dec. 1879; 26 Dec. 1877; transcribed by Kim Mohler)

JOHN M. HARTLEY.
In Colonel John M. Hartley, of Hagerstown, Wayne county, are united the best qualities of the patriotic, progressive American citizen. Keenly alive to the responsible duties which devolve upon him, the soul of uprightness and integrity, he possesses the friendship of all who know him, and no one is more justly entitled to representation in this volume.
His father, Josiah Hartley, was born in Wilmington, Delaware, whence he removed to Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in his early manhood, there marrying Ann Brady. In 1838 they came to Indiana with their two children, the younger of whom was John M., and locating in Milton, Wayne county, the father found employment at his trade as carpenter and as a mechanic. Six children were born to this worthy couple during their residence in Milton, but the only survivors of the family are the Colonel and two of his sisters. The wife and mother died in the spring of 1852, and the father spent his last years with his children, dying at the home of his daughter Harriet, in Kansas, some years ago. Joseph, the eldest son, served in the Nineteenth Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry for the full term of his enlistment and was wounded, during the war of the Rebellion. He died at Madison, this state, in the spring of 1897, from injuries received in the explosion of a steam boiler. Henry, another son, who served in the war as a private of the Tenth Illinois Infantry, died at Knightstown, Indiana, in the spring of 1888, and left a wife, son and daughter to mourn his loss. Josiah was a member of Company F, Nineteenth Indiana, was wounded at the battle of Gainesville, and died at Bellevue Hospital, Philadelphia, in August, 1862. George W. died in infancy. Mary Ann, the eldest daughter became the wife of Alonzo Rice, and now resides in Kansas City, Missouri. Harriet, who married Amos Crawford, died in Kansas, and left four sons and a daughter. Elvira is the wife of Thomas J. Hanna, of McCordsviile, Indiana.
Colonel John M. Hartley was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, March 13, 1836, and nearly the whole of his life has been spent in the state of Indiana. He had but limited educational advantages, but was diligent in his studies, and experience and observation have been excellent teachers. He assisted his father at carpenter work and then served an apprenticeship to the cabinet-maker's trade. Thus he was occupied until the breaking out of the civil war, when he was among the first to respond to his country's call. He enlisted for one year in Company E, Sixteenth Regiment of Indiana Infantry, which regiment was the first to rendezvous at Camp Wayne, Richmond, Indiana. In the ensuing June it was sent to Harper's Ferry, Virginia, where it remained for several months, and the following winter was passed at Frederick City, Maryland, in General Banks' command. Several skirmishes were had with the rebels in the early part of 1862, but the Sixteenth was in no serious battles, and was mustered out of service at Washington, D. C. , about the 1st of May. On his return to this state the Colonel located at Knightstown, and soon afterward, when the contest between the north and the south had reached a most threatening state and the fate of the Union hung gloomily in the balance, he commenced raising a company of volunteers. Though his patriotic ardor was undampened, his plans were terminated by illness, and it was not until July, 1864, that he was enabled to re-enter the service of his country. At that time he was made.captain of Company A, One Hundred and Thirty-ninth Regiment of Indiana Volunteers, but was soon promoted to the rank and duties of lieutenant-colonel of the regiment, acting in that capacity until the close of his term of enlistment. During the greater part of this period the regiment was stationed in Kentucky, with headquarters at Murfreesboro, engaged in guard duty and in guerrilla warfare.
Since 1866 the Colonel has been closely associated with the commercial interests of Hagerstown. For some years he worked at his trade and later was occupied in the insurance business. Since the Natural Gas Company was organized here, in the fall of 1887, he has been its secretary, and for the past four years he has been the secretary and treasurer of the Railway Cycle Manufacturing Company, which was founded here in February, 1895. Both he and his son are largely interested in this flourishing concern, the business of which is constantly increasing in volume and importance.
The Colonel is active as a Republican partisan, and during President Harrison's administration he served as postmaster of Hagerstown. He was trustee of Jefferson township for two terms, or for four years, and in these public capacities he won the confidence and respect of the people by his fidelity to their interests. Fraternally he is identified with Bowman Post, No. 250, Grand Army of the Republic, and H. A. Lodge, No. 25, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
On the last day of January, 1858, the Colonel married Miss Amanda, the eighteen-year-old daughter of John W. Macy, who had removed to Rush county, Indiana (where Mrs. Hartley was born), from North Carolina. Later the Macy family dwelt in Knightstown and Milton, Indiana, and, after spending eleven years in the last mentioned town, settled in Franklin county, this state, where the father departed this life in November, 1886; the mother, who was afflicted with blindness for many years, died at the home of our subject and wife, in December, 1897, when in her eighty-fourth year. The only daughter of the Colonel is Laura, widow of Isaac D. Hines, and for some time an employee of the Commercial Bank of Hagerstown. The only son, Charles H., is the superintendent of the Ashland (Wisconsin) division of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad. Colonel Hartley and wife are members of the Christian church, and are in thorough sympathy with all endeavors to uplift and aid humanity.
BIOGRAPHICAL AND GENEALOGICAL HISTORY OF Wayne, Fayette, Union and Franklin Counties, The Lewis Publishing Co 1899

REV. ALLEN HILL
A. pastor of the Baptist Church at Galveston, is a native of Jennings County, this State, and was born January 10, 1831. His paternal grandfather, Thomas Hill, was born in the State of New Jersey March 17,1763. He was a soldier in the Eevolutionary war, and continued in the service until the struggle for independence culminated in the surrender of Cornwallis, at which he was present. Soon after the war closed he was married to Mary Stone, by whom lie became the father of five sons. The third sou, Thomas, and the father of our subject, was born near the French Broad River, in Tennessee, September 12, 1797. When four years old his parents removed to Pulaski County, Ky., and in March, Is 17, they came to this State and located in Jennings County. Here the elder. Thomas Hill, having been, in 1800, ordained a minister in the Baptist Church, soon began in his wilderness home to collect the few settlers in his reach into some one of their cabins and preach to them the way of salvation. As the result of his labors, a Baptist Church was organized in the cabin of the younger Thomas Hill in 1822, the latter becoming a member upon the day of its organization. Thomas Hill, Jr., was licensed to preach in 1823; was ordained in 1823, and for over fifty years he gave his whole attention to the ministry. He died March 24. 1876, after serving one church as its pastor for thirty-five years, consecutively. His family consisted of three sons and five daughters, five of whom, two sons and three daughters, are yet living. The subject of this sketch was the second sou. During his earlier life he enjoyed only the privileges of a common school, which he attended during the winter months, having spent the balance of the time laboring upon the farm. His early school-training was afterward supplemented by a course of instruction in the Jennings County Academy and one year's work in Lancaster College and Jefferson College. In July, 1861, he organized Company H, of the Twenty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Regiment, and served as its captain one year, when, owing to the impaired condition of his health he was compelled to resign. In April, 1863, he located in Illinois, where he resided fourteen years. In February, 1866, he united with the Little Flock Baptist Church, in Cumberland County, Ill.; April 4, 1869, he was licensed to preach by said church, and on January 22,1870, he was ordained, since which time he has labored continuously in the ministry. In 1874 he was elected county superintendent in Coles County, Ill., in which capacity he served three years; when, at the earnest request of the Coffee Creek Church, in Jennings County, Ind., he resigned his office, returned to the old homestead in his native county, and took up the work upon which his father had been engaged for thirty-five years. After serving this church as pastor for three years he was assigned, by the State Board, to do missionary work at Vernon and North Vernon. Having received a call from the Baptist Church, at Galveston, he, in April, 1884, removed with his family to that place, where he has since resided. February 14, 1850, he was married to Salena H. Hudson, who died January 5, 1854, having one child—a daughter, three years old—now Mrs. Emmaivtta Dixon, of North Vernon. February 24, 1856, he was married to Marah E. Malcomb, by whom he has four children—three sons and one daughter:—all living. In politics Rev. Hill formerly affiliated with the Republican party, having cast his first vote for John C. Fremont. Upon the financial question he voted, for several years, with the National Greenback party. He now believes that the temperance question overshadows all others, and is, in sentiment, an uncompromising Prohibitionist.
Source: History Of Cass County Indiana By Thomas B. Helm, Brant and Fuller

ROSABELL T. KEEFER
Mystery of the Life of Woman Visiting Here
Mrs. Sheridan, of Illinois, Has Notice of Her Death Published in 1853.>
Mrs. Sheridan and son of Chestnut, Ill. are in the city at the home of A.W. Stump, of No. 829 Correll street. A strange story is told by her.
In 1854 A.W. Stump together with his brothers and sisters were removed from Stark county, O., to Jennings county, Indiana by their stepfather J.D. Keefer. Two years later an epidemic broke out and the parents died. While they were sick the children were taken care of by the neighbors. After the death of the parents the children were brought back to Ohio with exception of one sister Rosabell.Nothing had been heard of her since until the other day Mr. Stump heard from her. Mrs. Sheridan's story is that when she was old enough to know anything she was in a family by the name of Potts who claimed her as their own. Later she got hold of their family Bible and saw her name entered there as Rosabell T.Keefer. The people with whom she lived then told her that she was a daughter of a Samuel Keefer. An elder son of the Potts family then told her that her name was Keefer and not that of Potts. He was disinherited by his father for having told her that.
Several years went by when a fellow claiming to be a detective appeared on the scene and told her that her father was alive and that he would suffered much in body during her illness, but her sufferings are now all over, while her body lies silent in the grave, her little soul is with that Jesus that said, 'suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not for of such is the kingdom of God.'
" 'I take these little lambs said he, And lay them in my breast; Protection they shall find in me, In me be ever blessed.' "A discourse was delivered on the occasion from Numbers 32-10. "WM. M. STILES.
"Navarre, Stark Co., Ohio, June 4, 1853."
According to the boys in the family no death ever occurred in their family prior to their departure for Indiana. As Rosabell was the half sister of Mr. Stump it is pretty certain take her to him. She refused to go with an utter stranger, but agreed to go if her husband would go too. He promised to return later but never showed up. He told her that she had been reported to her relatives as being dead. This was true, as the following clipping with show. The clipping was received several years ago by Mr. Stump but he has no idea as to who sent it:
"Rosabell T. Keefer, infant daughter of John and Loretta Keefer, departed this life April 28, 1853, aged 1 year, 7 months and 10 days. Little Rosabell that the clipping does not state the truth. What motive they had in keeping Rosabell from her family is not known. She was also warned to keep away from the Stump family as her life was in danger if she tried to look up her relatives. John Keefer had a good deal of property and as neither Mrs. Sheridan nor Mr. Stump have received any of the property it is thought that possibly she was kept out of the way so that someone could claim the property in her stead by reporting her as being dead.
Mrs. Sheridan has proved that she is not the daughter of Sam Keefer as she was told and consequently she must be the daughter of John Keefer and is therefore the half sister of Mr. Stump. Mr. Stump firmly believes that she is his sister as dates in the family Bible substantiate her claim.
Efforts will be made to clear up the mystery by searching the records of Tuscarawas county.
The Stark County Democrat, (Canton, Ohio) Nov 8, 1904

JOHN D. KIDD
Treasurer of Jennings county, is a native of Butler county, Ohio, where he was born July 23d, 1845. He is a son of Samuel C. and Sarah M. (Chancey) Kidd, natives of Ohio and Maryland. The former located in Jennings county in 1849, on a farm in Sand Creek township, where he was quite a prominent man in local politics, holding a number of township offices at different times. He enlisted in Company B. (137th) regiment of Indiana Infantry, in which he was a corporal. John D. was reared on his father's farm and received his education in the public schools of his neighborhood.
He enlisted in the Army in 1863, Co. H. (120th) regiment of Indiana Infantry, and was out twenty-five months, when he was discharged, the war having closed. He took part in the Atlanta campaign, and was in the battle of Franklin—the last severe battle of the war. Since the return of peace he has worked at his trade, serving occasionally in some township office—one time as township assessor. He was elected county treasurer in 1886, on the Republican ticket and re-elected in 1888. Mr. Kidd was married to Miss Sarah Jane Stewart, a daughter of Jonathan Stewart, of Jennings county. They have fh e children, viz: Albion S., John C., Avanel Blanche, Mary Leora and George C.
Mr. Kidd is a member of the G. A. R. and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

JEPTHA DUDLEY NEW
Was born in Vernon, Jennings county, Indiana, November 28th, A. D. 1830, and is the son of Hickman and Smyra Ann (Smitha) New.
Jethro New, the father of Hickman New, was a native of Delaware and settled early in life in Gallatin county,  Kentucky, and in 1822 removed with his family of twelve children to Jennings county, Indiana.
Hickman New, now in his eighty-second year, is the youngest and the only survivor of the twelve children. He began life as a cabinet-maker, and until age interrupted his labors was an active minister in the Christian church. He is now well preserved, both physically and mentally. Smyra Ann New, his wife, died in 1879 at the age of seventy years.
The subject of this sketch was reared in the town of Vernon and was educated at the Vernon Seminary and at Bethany College, an institution founded by the celebrated Alexander Campbell. After leaving college in 1850, he read law in the office of Lucius Bingham, Esq., at Vernon. The first public office held by him was that of Mayor of his native town, to which he was elected at the age of twenty-two. In 1862 he was elected Commonwealth Attorney for two years, when he was elected Common Pleas Judge for four years, at the end of which term he declined a re-election. He then returned to the practice of his profession, and continued in the same with great success and profit until 1874, when he was elected to the 46th Congress, as a Democrat in a strong Republican district, carrying it by thirteen hundred majority. He was the first and only Democratic candidate for Congress who has ever carried Jefferson and Jennings counties. In 1876 he was unanimously renominated for Congress but declined. In 1878 he was urged to accept the nomination, and did so; and he was elected after the hottest Congressional contest ever known in Indiana in an off year. His majority was four hundred and ninety-one, although the same counties gave the Republican State ticket a decisive majority. In the 44th Congress he was a member of the special committee, appointed to investigate the much talked of real estate pool in the District of Columbia, and out of which grew the celebrated Hallet -Kilbourne contempt ease, in the argument of which Judge New, on the floor of the House, represented the committee.
In the same Congress he was one of a special committee sent to New Orleans to investigate the management of the Federal oflices there. He was also, in the same Congress put upon the committee which was sent to Louisiana to inquire mto the vote for Tilden and Hayes; and was, after reaching New Orleans, made chairman of a sub-committee sent to investigate specially the said election in what were called the " bull-dozed parishes." Upon the return of the committee to Washington, Judge New was selected by his Democratic colleagues on the committee to deliver one of the speeches on the Louisiana election, which under the division of time a creed on, belonged to the Democratic side of the House.
In the 46th Congress he was made a member of the Judiciary Committee and of the Committee on Expenditures in the Department of Justice. He was also made chairman of the special committee raised to investigate charges preferred against Mr. Seward, our minister to China. He was also on the special committee sent to Cincinnati to investigate the Congressional elections in that city.
At the close of the 46th Congress he resumed the practice of his profession and pursued the same actively until 1882, when he was elected Circuit Judge. His term as Judge expired November, 1888.
Judge New is now one of the five Supreme Court Commissioners, appointed by the last General Assembly of this State. This commission was created in aid of the Supreme Judges and will continue for four years. He has been spoken of prominently for Governor. He has been successful in the accumulation of property, being one of the largest tax-payers of his county. His family consists of his wife, Sallie (Butler) New, who was a pupil of his in a school taught by him after leaving college; a daughter, Mary, the wife of Dr. William Stemm; Willard New, a very active and promising young attorney, located at Vernon: and Burt New, now a student at Bloomington College, Indiana.

Sketches of Candidates
The Stull family was one of the first to locate in St. Joseph county, and John S. Stull, only a lad of nine years at the time of their arrival, is therefore numbered among the honored pioneers who have not only witnessed the remarkable growth and transformation of the region, but have been important factors in its progress and advancement. He was born in Jennings county, Indiana, November 21.' 1821, while his father, Henry Stull, claimed Pennsylvania as the common wealth of his nativity. He was reared, however, in Virginia, eight miles from his birthplace, and when eight years of age he moved with his parents to West Virginia, or what was then known as New Virginia. After a time he made his way to Indiana, first to Jennings county, and later, sailing down the Ohio on a flat boat, he located in the city of Madison, Indiana, while in 1830, he took up his residence iu St. Joseph county, entering a farm of eighty acres in Portage township, now included in the city limits of South Bend. He afterward traded that farm, and at the time of the first entry, he also entered two hundred and forty acres in Center township of which he cleared a part, his sons later trading some of the land and cleared much of the remainder. During the war of 1812, Henry Stull served as a true and valiant soldier, and at the time of the exchange these loyal soldiers were not furnished with transportation and he walked the entire distance home. His death occurred when he had reached the ripe old age of eighty-six years and four months, and thus passed away one of the brave pioneers of Indiana and St. Joseph county, one who had helped to make this section the beautiful country which it now is. He was a stanch Republican in his political affiliations. In Jefferson county, Indiana, Mr. Henry Stull married Rebecca Hughes, a native of North Carolina, and she was ten years of age at the time of her parents' removal to Madison county, Indiana, where she was reared. They became the parents of eleven children: Martha, deceased; John S., whose name introduces this review; Susan, William H., Samuel C., Lavina, Elizabeth and Hiram Rush, also deceased. Lavina and Hiram Rush dying in infancy; Mary Jane, and Sarah and Julia, deceased. Six of the children were born in Jennings county and the remaining five in St. Joseph county. On the 2d of March, 1857, John S. Stull, whose name introduces this review, was united in marriage to Margaret Locke, a native of Ohio, but reared in St. Joseph county, where her father, George Washington Locke, was one of the earliest pioneers. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Stull, namely: Alice, who died in infancy; Mary, the wife of Charles H. Edwards, a farmer; Grant and George, deceased; and Charles, all of whom were born and reared in Center township of St. Joseph county. On section 26, Center township, Mr. Stull now owns eighty acres of rich and well improved land, and the many valuable and substantial improvements which now adorn the place are the result of his industry and excellent business ability. His political support is also given to the Republican party, while formerly he was a Whig, and as its representative he has served in many of the local offices, as assessor, supervisor, etc., having served in the former office for six years. For twenty years he has also been a member of the Republican County Central Committee, and in that long period has only missed one meeting. In all the varied positions of life which he has been called upon to fill he has been faithful and loyal, and now in his declining days he can look back over the past with little occasion for regret.

The Men Who Will Lead Indiana Democrats Victory

Jeptha D. New, candidate for supreme judge from the Second district, was born in Jennings County, Indiana, his father Hickman New, being one of the pioneer members and ministers in the Christian church in southern Indiana. Jeptha was educated at Bethany college, West Virginia. He was judge of the common pleas court four and judge of the circuit court six years. He was elected by the legislature to the supreme court commission, and was a member of the Forty-fourth and Forty-sixth congresses from a republican district. He was unanimously nominated to the Forty-fifth congress, but declined.
The Indiana Sentinel, Apr 27, 1892

JOHN C. NEW
Career of John C. New
Born in Jennings county, Indiana, in 1831.Under training of Alexander Campbell was graduated from Bethany College, iVrginia[sic], in 1852.
Made quartermaster general at beginning of civil war.
State senator from Marion county in 1862.
Appointed U.S. treasurer in 1875.
Appointed assistant secretary of treasury in 1882.
Appointed consul general to London in 1883.
In the death of John C. New there passes a prominent character in state and national politics. Mr. New's political career began when he was scarcely out of his teens, when he was appointed to the office of clerk of Marion county. From that time until he retired from the political arena, following the defeat of his friend, Gen. Benjamin Harrison, for a second term as president of the United States, he was active politcally.
No man in Indiana was more intimately associated with the development and progress of the republican party for forty years than John C. New.>
Source: The Daily Review, Elkhart, Indiana Jun 5, 1906 - transcribed by J.S.

HORATIO C. NEWCOMB
Supreme Court Commissioners
Appointment of Its Members To-day - Brief Sketches of the Men who are to Assist the Supreme Court.
Under a law passed by the last legislature the duty of selecting five commissioners, to assist in expediting for work of the supreme court, was devolved upon the jusdges. They performed that duty to-day by choosing the following members.
William M. Franklin, of Owen county, nominated by Chief Justice Wm. E. Niblack; Geo. A. Bicknell, of Floyd county, nominated by Judge Geo. V. Howk; Judge Byron K. Elliott nominated Horatio C. Newcomb, of Marion; Judge William A. Woods nominated james I. Best, of DeKalb county, and Judge James I. Worden nominated John Morris, of Allen county. The two first named are democrats and the others republicans. The entire bench, including judges and commissioner, is now equally divided, politically.
SKETCHES OF THE COMMISSIONERS
Horatio C. Newcomb was born at Wellsborough, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, December 20, 1821 and removed to Vernon, Indiana, in June 1833, coming from Cortland county, New York. In 1836 he became an apprentice to a saddle-maker, but in 1841 began the study of law under the instruction of his uncle, Hon. W.A. Bullock, in Vernon, Jennings county. In 1844, he was admitted to the bar. He practiced law in Vernon until December 1846, when he came to Indianapolis and became a partder[sic] with Mr. Ovid Bulter, a leading lawyer at the bar of the capital. In 1849 he was elected mayor of Indianapolis, and was re-elected in 1851, but resigned after six months. In 1854 he was elected representative to the general assembly, and in 1860 was chosen senator, resigning in 1861 to accept the appointment by Governor Morton to the presidency of the board of commissioners of the sinking fund. In June, 1864, he became political editor of the Journal, and continued in that capacity until December 1868. During that period he was twice elected to the lower house of the state legislature, serving at one time as chairman of the judiciary committee, and at another as chairman of the ways and means committee. When the superior courts of Marion county were organized, he was appointed by Gov. Baker, one of the three judges, Mar 1, 1871. The term having terminated in October 1874, his name was placed upon the republican and democratic tickets and he was elected for the full term of four years. He was at this time nominated by President Grant and confirmed by the senate as assistant secretary of the interior, but he declined, preferring his judicial position. In 1876 Judge Newcomb was nominated as one of the republican candidates for supreme judge, but was defeated with his party. Judge Newcomb has been a prominent member of the Presbyterian church since 1847.
The Indianapolis News (Indianapolis, IN) Apr 27, 1881

JOHN OVERMYER
Lawyer and Ex.-Speaker of Indiana House of Representatives, was born in Pickaway county, Ohio, November 18th, 1844, and is a son of George and Harriet (Camp) Overmyer, natives of Ohio, who in 1849 settled on a farm in Jackson county Ind. Here John, the subject, was reared and educated. When sufficiently prepared he entered Asbury University (now DePauw) in September, 1863, from which he graduated in June, 1867.
During the last year in college he took up the study of law, and upon leaving college he located in Jennings county, where in February, 1868 he was admitted to the bar to practice law. He is one of the leading lawyers in the county and ranks high in his profession.
From 1871 up to 1875 he had for a partner his brother, David Overmyer, who in 1882 removed to Kansas and was a candidate for Congress in fall of 1888.
In 1868 John Overmyer was elected to Legislature from Jennings county, and was chairman of committee oil organization of courts. In 1872 and 1873 he was Reading Clerk in Indiana Senate, and in 1875 he was principal Secretary of said Senate.
In 1876 he was again elected to the Lower House, and in the sessions, general and special, of 1877, was chosen Speaker of the House. He was elected to Legislature again in 1878, but now his part}- (Republican) being in the minority he was defeated, though unanimously the nominee of his party at both regular and special sessions. In 1882 he was made chairman of the Republican State Central Committee, and held the position two vears: in 1888 he was delegate from the third district to the National Republican Convention and has been thoroughly identified with his party, although not in accord with the policy of opposition to tariff revision and reduction. His political creed is "the greatest good to the greatest number." He believes the world is governed too much—that the laws should be as simple and direct as possibly consistent with public order.
He has been a member of the Ex. ecutive Republican State Committee from 1878 to 1886, except in 1880.
He is, president of the Jennings County Bank, organized in 1885. He was made its first president and has served in that capacity up to the present time. The institution is a Bank of Discount and Deposit and has a capital of $25,000. Frank E. Little has been his law .partner since 1885.
Mr. Overmyer was married October 30th, 1870 to Miss Mary F. Sherfey, of Greencastle. They have two children, Misses Florence and Isabella.


JWRobb

John W. Robb
John W. Robb is the owner of an excellent property in eastern Jefferson county, now in the suburb of Lakewood, and his land is devoted to farming and fruit growing. Although he once owned many acres he now has sold all but ten, for Mr. Robb has reached the eightieth milestone on life's journey. He was born at Vernon, Jennings county, Indiana, of Scottish parentage, on the 15th of July 1838. The public schools afforded him his educational opportunities and in his youthful days he worked in his father's woolen factory until he reached the age of seventeen. In 1855 the family removed to Walshville, Montgomery county, Illinois, after which John W. Robb left home at the age of twenty-one years and traveled through Missouri and Kansas. In Kansas City he secured a position in the Bullard machine shops, which were devoted to the making of quartz mills for the mines. In April 1860, accompanied by two of his brothers, he started for Pike's Peak and on the 15th of May arrived in Denver, from which point he proceeded to Central City. He engaged in prospecting and mining and later he assisted in building a ditch from the Fall river to Nevada City. He was also one of the promoters in organizing the Empire and Union mining districts. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company K of the First Colorado Cavalry and served for four months. He then enlisted in Company H, Curtis' Horse Regiment, at Peru, Nebraska, and assigned to the Army of the Cumberland. Then name of the organization was changed to the Fifth Iowa Cavalry and then went directly into service. At the battle of Franklin, on Dick river, in 1864, and while on picket duty at night, Mr. Robb was captured, stripped of his uniform and marched to the Fort Columbia stockade in Tennessee. Thence he was transferred to Montgomery, Alabama and afterward to Thomasville, Georgia, from which point he was taken to Selma, Alabama, and afterward to Meridian, Mississippi, while finally he was sent to Andersonville, Georgia, having marched seven hundred miles barefooted and suffering all the miseries and tortures of prison life. Once he made his escape from his captors but after a chase of nine days was recaptured. On the approach of Union forces he was paroled and returned to his command at Nashville, Tennessee.

With the close of the war Mr. Robb returned to Colorado to find that his agent, in whose care he had placed his interests had made his escape with the property, amounting to thirty-eight thousand dollars, had been sold, regardless of the act of congress giving a soldier a year to return to his mines. Mr. Robb was therefore obliged to begin life anew but soon became a victim to mountain fever and was forced to go into the valley.

It wast then that Mr. Robb located four miles west of Denver, on the West Colfax road, in Jefferson county. He purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land and for many years devoted his time and energies to general agricultural pursuits and fruit raising. He bought the land under a high state of development and improvement and it is today one of the excellent properties of this section of the state. During the intervening years, however, he has sold all but ten acres which now constitutes his home place, where he lives with his daughter Martha, his wife having passed away two years ago.

In his political views Mr. Robb is a republican and has ever been a stalwart supporter of the party which was the defense of the Union during the dark days of the Civil war and has always been a party of reform and progress. He is a member of the Society of Colorado Pioneers and maintains pleasant relations with his old military comrades as a member of A. Lincoln Post No 4, G.A.R. He was one of the six brothers who served in the Union army and is the sole survivor. His has indeed been an active and useful life, and he can look back over the past without regret and forward to the future without fear.
History of Colorado, Vol 4, by Wilbur Fiske Stone, 1919 - transcribed by J.S.

SOLON ROBINSON
The Author, is a practical man, and has been a hard worker all his life. He was born in New England and brought up on a farm; but in early life he removed to Jennings county, Indiana, and commenced farming there on his own hook, right in the woods - thirty-four miles from Madison, on the road to Indianapolis. In 1834 he removed to the northwest corner of Indiana, and settled forty miles southeast of Chicago, and fifteen miles from any neighbor, on "Robinson's Prairie," and gave the name of Lake to the county, where it was established. The county town, Crown Point, was on his farm. He left that place in 1850, and is now farming in Winchester county, New York. From the time he left Indiana until quite recently, he was the Agricultural Editor of the New York Tribune, which gave him a very extensive acquaintance among our Agricultural people al over the country, and superior advantages for collecting facts relating to Agriculture
Daily Ohio Statesman (Columbus, OH) Nov 7, 1866

JAMES SCHULTHEISS
Was born in Gibson county, Indiana, September 28th, 1842, and is a son of John and Catharine (Shaffer) Schultheiss, both born in Germany, the former near Strasburg, and came to America in 1838, locating in Gibson county, Indiana, and the latter came to this country with her parents about 1840. James, the subject, was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools of his county. At the age of eighteen he entered the army under the first call for troops in the spring of 1861, for three months. He afterward enlisted for "three years or during the war," and at the end of that time veteranized and remained in the service until the surrender at Appomattox closed the struggle. He was in Company G., Sixtieth Infantry, and saw active service as long as the war lasted, a part of the time on scout duty. He was in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth, Stone River, Arkansas Post, Vicksburg, and at Appomattox. He was in the Red River expedition under Gen. Banks. Several times entered the enemy's lines as a spy, and was successful in obtaining the information sought and of escaping into his own lines. Was taken prisoner half-a-dozen times or more, but always managed to make his escape. He returned home at the close of the war and settled in Indianapolis, learned the carpenter's trade, worked at it six or seven years, then floated around for a time, living in Knox, Ripley, Spencer counties, etc. Finally, he settled down in Jennings county, where he has since lived, and where he owns a farm of seventy acres of well improved land. He was married in 1866  to Miss Malinda Schmidt, born in Strasburg, Germany, and who came to America with her parents in 1856, settling in Indianapolis. Mr. and Mrs. Schultheiss have six children, viz: Amelia, August, Mary, Peter, Louis and George. Mr. Schultheiss is a member of Cox Post G. A. R., No. 209, Indianapolis.>

HON GREENE L. SMITH
he subject of this sketch, Hon. Greene L. Smith, was born in Meigs county, Ohio, on the Ohio river, near Pomeroy, September 6th, 1848. He was the son of Harrison and Eliza L. Smith — nee Alexander — both natives of Ohio. His grand-parents on both sides were Virginians. His great-grandfather, Conrad Smith was, a soldier in the army of Virginia in the colonial days under Gov. Dunmore, and afterwards served for seven years in the army of the revolution under Gen. Washington, being present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. His father was a steamboat man on the Western and Southern rivers. He was educated at Franklin College, Ind., where he took a two years' course; but his education was more practical than scientific, acquired chiefly from personal observation. He began the study of law at Pomeroy, Ohio, in 1865, but his course was intermitted by school teaching, so that he was not admitted to the bar of the Common Pleas Court of Jennings county, Ind., until 1867, having left Ohio and settled in Indiana after he commenced the study of law. He followed the law as a profession in Jennings county until 1884, when he was elected by the Democratic party as State Senator for the counties of Jennings and Jackson. At the session of the Indiana Senate for 1885- 86, he was chairman of the committee on Enrolled Bills, and also a member of both the Judiciary and Committee on Banking. At the close of the session of 1885, he was nominated for President of the Senate by the Democratic caucus over Senators Weir and Sellers, and at the session of 1887- 88, made the most notable contest known in the political history of Indiana for Lieutenant-Governor and President of the Senate, against Col. R. S. Robinson, Republican, who claimed to have been elected by the people. Mr. Smith triumphed in this contest, thus securing the election of Hon. David Turpie to the Senate of the United States. In 1888, Mr. Smith was a candidate for the Democratic nomination for Attorney-General, but was defeated by reason of the late hour in the canvass at which he came out. In January, 1879, he was united in marriage to Miss Ida J. Shellenberger, of North Vernon, and two children—Florence and David Turpie—bless the union. In the notable political campaign of 1888 for the Presidency, Hon. Greene L. Smith made an effective canvass of Indiana for the re-election of Mr. Cleveland. Mr. Smith is a member of the Knights of Pythias. Biographical and historical souvenir for the counties of Clark, Crawford, Harrison. Floyd, Jefferson, Jennings, Scott and Washington Indiana John Gresham & Co. 1889

John S. Stull
Source: the History of St. Joseph County Indiana By Timothy Edward Howard





Return