DR. GEORGE R. ALSOP
Dr. George R. Alsop, cashier German National Bank, was born in Sperroyville, Rappahannoc county, Virginia, December 19, 1851, and was educated in the schools of Rappahannock and Spottsylvania counties, Va. He came to Sullivan county, Indiana, in 1869, teaching school till 1873. In 1873 and 1874 attended Indiana Medical College and next year entered the medical department of the University of Louisville, Ky., from whicn he was graduated in March, 1875. He soon after located at Freelandville, Knox county, Indiana, for the practice of his profession, forming a partnership with Dr. M. M. McDowell, and remaining there eight years. In November, 1882, the doctor was elected Circuit Clerk and in the following autumn moved to Vincennes to enter upon the discarge of the duties of that position. He served four years as clerk and. soon after the close of his term joined in the organization of the German National Bank, of which he became cashier in April, 1888. In that position, he has continued to the present time. Prior to his service as Circuit Clerk, Dr. Alsop was for four years trustee of Widner township, from. 1878 to 1882. Having an abiding faith in the value of Knox county farm lands the doctor has invested largely, and owns a number of valuable farms. Dr. Alsop was married April 20,. 1875, to Miss Nancy J. McClellan, of Sullivan, Ind. They have an. interesting family of four sons and. three daughters. (VP&S)
Wm. Baker, president of the German National Bank, wss born in Lippe Detmold. Prussia. September 29, 1835, and was educated in the schools of that country. He came to this country with his parents, arriving in December, 1852. His first employment was as a teamster in the construction of the E. & T. H. railroad. He was subsequently for several years employed on a farm and then for one year drove a dray in Vincennes. Later, in 1860, entered the employ of George Kerckhoff & Co., hides and leather. Here he remained till 1863, when he established a hide and leather business of his own on Second street, between Broadway and Buntin. In 1868 he bought the business of Kerckhoff & Co., at the north corner of Third and Main, and continued the business there for about twenty years, when he retired from active business for a time. He became one of the directors of the German National Battk on its organization, in 1888. In 1894, Mr. Baker was elected president of the bank and has been annually reelected since that date. (VP&S)
JOSEPH L. BAYARD
Joseph L. Bayard was born in Vincennes, January 21, 1840, and received his education in the schools of Vincennes and at Bardstown College, at Bardstown, Ky. His first employment in the way of business was as a clerk in the Vincennes branch of the Bank of the State of Indiana. In this position he remained five years till 1893, when he engaged in a general merchandise business in Vincennes, in which he continued till 1869, when he joined in the organizaton of the German Banking Company, a private bank, of which he became cashier. This bank was, in 1871. merged in the First National, and Mr. Bayard became cashier of the enlarged institution. This position he continued to fill for more than twenty-six years until the death of Mr. Rabb, in 1898, when he was elected president of the bank and has been annually re-elected since. Mr. Bayard has never sought public office or public trust but has had many trusts imposed upon him which a broad-minded public spirit would not permit him to decline. He was ome of the organizers of the Citizen's Gas Company and has been treasurer of the company since its organization.. He has also been president of the company since 1898. He was a charter member of the board of trade and has been treasurer of that body siace its organization. He has been a trustee of Vincennes University for fourteen years and treasurer of the institution for ten years. He is also the senior member of the firm of J. L. Bayard & Co., one of the oldest and largest insurance agencies in this end of the State. Mr. Bayard was married in 1881 to Miss Helen Burke, of Marietta, Ohio. They have four sons and one daughter living and one son dead. (VP&S)
JOSEPH L. BAYARD, JR.
Joseph L. Bayard, Jr., receiving teller of the First National Bank, was born in Vincennes July 21, 1872. He attended the Cathedral school here and later entered Fordham, Fordham, New York taking the scientific course. From this school he was graduated in June, .1892, taking the degree of B. Sc. His first employment after leaving school was in the First National Bank, which he entered as bookkeeper in May, 1894. He became receiving teller, January 1, 1900. Mr. Bayard was married October 28, 1896, to Miss Helen Reily. They have one son. (VP&S)
HENRY J. BOEKMAN
Henry J. Boeckmani, assistant cashier of the German National Bank, was born in Vincennes, February 18,1857. He received his education at St. John's German Catholic schools and his first employment was in the bank of R. J. McKenney & Co., of the city, inl which he became bookkeeper in 1873. Here he remained six and a half years and was then for nearly five years bookkeeper in the First National Bank, of Vincennes. Following this he was for a time with C. H. DeBolt, as bookkeeper for his implement business. On the organiization of the German National Bank, in 1888, Mr. Boekman became bookkeeper and assistant cashier and has held that position continuously to the present time. He is also a member of the firm of Boeckman & Co., insurance agents.(VP&S)
Herman BOog was born in Brunswick, Germany, May 28, 1864, and came to America in 1888 at the age of 24 years. In 1890 Mr. Boog came to Vincennes and engaged with Frank Mitcihell as baker. In 1891 he formed a partnership with Henry Bergmann and established a bakery at Seventh and Hart streets. In 1895 the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Boog established his present business at 9 South Fourth street, where he has had a steady growth and now conducts one of the largest bakeries in the city, equipped with modern steam machinery. Mr. Boog was married in 1892 to Miss Lina Ahlborn, of Celle, Germany. They have two children living and have lost one by death
JOHN T. BOYD
John T. Boyd was born in Vincennes January 21, 1873. He was educated in the schools of the city. His business experience began with a subordinate position in the Second National Bank, which he accepted ini 1804. and he has since that date continued with the bank, becoming assistant cashier in 1809. Mr. Boyd was married October 25 1895, to Miss Katherine Eastham, daughter of City Treasurer Thomas Eastham. (VP&S)
Thomas Campbell, architect and builder, corner First and Perry Streets, was born in Ireland April 1, 1851, and came to this country with his parents at.the age of three years. His father located on a farm in Richland County, Ill., six miles south of Olney, where young Campbell grew to manhood. When eighteen years of age he was apprenticed to John Barlow, of Olney, with whom he learned, the carpenter's trade. After completing his apprenticeship he continued to work at his trade in Olney for one year, coming to Vincennes in 1873. He worked here as a journeyman carpenter for several years, embarking in his present business in 1892. Mr. Campbell furnishes plans for the greater part of his work and has to his credit many fine buildings in this city and neighboring towns. Among these are the First M. E. Church of tlna city, which is shown elsewhere, the business block at north corner Main and Third Streets, that at 207 -17 North Second, residence of Fred Bierhaus, on Fifth, between Perry and Seminary, residence Guy Mc.Jimsey. 414 N. Sixth the Christian Church at Lawrenceville, C. P. Church at Monroe City and M. E. Churches at Shoals, Worthington, Carlisle and Farmersburg, Ind. Also superintended the $50,000 addition made to the Grand Hotel in this city in 1900 Mr. Campbell displays a taste in design and a genius in his plans that renders his work popular. He is a careful superintendent, permitting no deviation from specifications and the only difficulty he experiences is in meeting the increasing demand for his services. Mr. Campbell was married in 1876 to Miss Lucinda Matters, of Vincennes. They have two children living and one dead. (VP&S)
HON. HENRY S. CAUTHORNE
This gentleman is a citizen of the city in which he was born (Vincennes, Ind.), the date of his advent being February 23, 1828. His father, a physician by profession, was a native of Virginia, but came to Indiana in a very early day. His mother was a daughter of Mr. Elihu Stout, who founded, in the beginning of the present century, and for forty years published, the Vincennes Sun. There is much more in this than the mere words imply. The year was 1804. The Sun, when issued, was the second paper west of the Allegheny mountains. Talk about a howling wilderness! Indiana, with the exception of patches here and there along a few of the larger water courses, was a vast unbroken forest of ceaseless howls. That was before the day of the Washington hand-press or glue and molasses rollers. Balls covered with buckskin were used to ink the type. Of the machinery in such an office no modern printer could get the hang in a month of Sundays. It is one of the lost arts. It would be interesting to know the struggles in journalism at that day. Mr. Stout must have been a brave, resolute man, as well as a printer very much in love with his profession. The files of the paper are preserved (the property of Mr. Cauthorne), but there were doubtless office secrets of interest only to the craft, never put in type.
Mr. Cauthorne inherited so much of his grandfather's taste for scissors, quills and ink-pots, that he learned the art preservative. The business is so congenial, and he is so much a master, that he believes to-day, if his law practice, a profession in which he has become eminent, was swept from him, he could support himself and family at the case. Some years ago it was proposed to secure those files for the State Liberty, but the citizens of Vincennes protested against having them leave that city. The editor was a great admirer of General Harrison, and they contain much history of him not found elsewhere.
Mr. Cauthorne was not only drilled in the printing office but common schools, and graduated from Asbury University in 1848. Drifting not the practice of law, his duties and obligations were soon so heavy that he found it impossible to extricate himself, though all his life he has contemplated embarking upon the sea of journalism. Though he stand at the head of the bar, respected alike for his learning and integrity, been much in public life - three times a member of the General Assembly and once Speaker of the House - those who know him best regard him as a man who has never accomplished a tithe of what lays within the scope of his possibilities.
He enters upon the work of legislation with all of the confidence that comes from experience, an industry that never flags, and his opinion are given in candor as well as in language modestly elegant. It was those qualities of head and heart that made him so acceptable as Speaker of the House during the sessions of 1878-79. He has been a justice of the peace, prosecuting attorney, city attorney and a clerk of circuit court for two terms, in addition to having held legislative offices. Mr. Cauthorne was married in October 1868, to Miss Margaret C. Bayard, of Vincennes,and is the father of four children, three of whom (two sons and one daughter) are now living.
Indiana's Representative Men in 1881: Containing Biographies of the Members of the Senate and House of Representatives of the State of Indiana, by John E. Land, Pg 9-10 - transcribed by J.S.
GEORGE ROGERS CLARK
born NOV 19, 1752 and died FEB 13, 1818
though GEORGE CLARK was not born in indiana he is responsible for the state of indiana in many ways. George Rogers Clark was born in Virginia on November 19, 1752, and died FEB 13, 1818, the son of John and Ann Rogers Clark. He had five brothers and four sisters. WillIam Clark, his youngest brother, went on a westward expedition with Meriweather Lewis. His father’s occupation was farming and landholding. His mother and father mostly home schooled him, but later he was sent to live with his grandfather and attended a private school there. Clark had red hair, six foot tall, and weighed two hundred pounds. Clark’s was a surveyor a trade he learned from his grandfather. On June 26, 1778 Clark and one hundred seventy- five men traveled on the Ohio River to Kaskaskia. They surprised the fort at Kaskaskia on July 4, 1778, and they took the fort and town without firing a shot. On July 5, 1778 Clark captured Fort Cahokia from the British. Father Gibault, Kaskaskia’s priest, went to Vincennes to secure allegiance with the French. Captain Helm was sent to capture Fort Sackville. Hamilton learned about Helm’s capture of Fort Sackville so he prepared his forces and traveled down the Maumee and Wabash Rivers reaching Vincennes on December 17, 1778. At the time Helm was forced to surrender. Determined to capture Hamilton, Clark, with approximately one hundred seventy- five men, marched eighteen days through freezing floodwaters. On February 23, 1779 Clark’s army entered Vincennes and surrounded the fort. On February 25, 1779 Hamilton surrendered. after suffering a stroke in 1809 and falling into a fireplace burning his leg, he moved to the home of his sister Lucy Clark Groghan at Locust Grove. the last nine years of Clarks life was spent disappointed at what he regarded as his country's ingratitude, and broken down by excessive drinking and paralysis, he lost his once powerful influence and lived in comparative isolation until his death, near Louisville, Kentucky. he is buried at CAVE HILL CEMETERY, LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY.
J. C. Cohen
Julius C. Cohen was born in the City Neuemburg, Prussia, Aug. 3, 1848, and came to America in 1864 and to Vincennes in 1877. His first employment here was as salesman for I. E. Libshutz and subsequently for other firms in the city. In 1885 Mr. Cohen Embarked in business for himself at No. 106 Main Street. His business was attended with marked success from the start and in 1891 Mr. Cohen bought and occupied the beautiful and commodious three-story building at No. 312 Main, now occupied by him, a cut of which appears elsewhere, one of the best in the city. By close attention to the wants of his patrons and judicious management, he has built up and holds an enviable custom in clothing and gents' furnishings. Mr. Cohen was married Dec. 18, 1871, to Miss Ellen Keenan, of Louisville. (VP&S)
William A. Cullop
Born March 28, 1853 and died Oct 9, 1927
William Allen Cullop was born March 28, 1853, born near Oaktown, Knox County, Ind.,THE SON OF WILLIAM WASHINGTON CULLOP AND MARIAH JANE PATTERSON. He attended the common schools; was graduated from Hanover (Ind.) College in June 1878; professor for two years in Vincennes (Ind.) University; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1881 and commenced practice in Vincennes, Ind.; prosecuting attorney of the twelfth judicial circuit 1883-1886; member of the State house of representatives 1891-1893; delegate to the Democratic National Conventions in 1892 and 1896; elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-first and to the three succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1909-March 3, 1917); unsuccessful candidate for renomination in 1916; unsuccessful candidate for the Democratic nomination as United States Senator in 1926; resumed the practice of law and was also interested in various business enterprises; died in Vincennes, Ind., October 9, 1927; interment in Greenlawn Cemetery.(VP&S)
BORN OCT 12, 1782 AND DIED JUNE 19, 1867
HENRY DODGE WAS A SOLDIER BORN IN VINCENNES INDIANA ,12 October 1782; died in Burlington, Iowa, 19 June 1867. His father, Israel Dodge, was a revolutionary officer of Connecticut. HenRY moved to Missouri in 1796 and settled at Ste. Genevieve; sheriff of Cape Girardeau County in 1808; moved to Galena, Ill., and operated a lead mine; moved to Wisconsin in 1827, then part of Michigan Territory, and settled near the present site of Dodgeville; served in the Black Hawk and other Indian wars; was commissioned major of United States Rangers 1832; left the Army as colonel of the First United States Dragoons 1836; appointed Governor of the Territory of Wisconsin 1836-1841; elected as a Democratic Delegate to the Twenty-seventh and Twenty-eighth Congresses (March 4, 1841-March 3, 1845); was not a candidate for renomination in 1844, having again accepted the appointment of Governor of the Territory of Wisconsin, and served from 1845 until 1848; upon the admission of Wisconsin as a State into the Union in 1848 was elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate; reelected in 1851 and served from June 8, 1848, to March 3, 1857; chairman, Committee on Commerce (Thirty-fourth Congress); declined the appointment of Governor of Washington Territory by President Franklin Pierce in 1857; retired to private life; died in Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa, June 19, 1867; interment in Aspen Grove Cemetery
G. W. DONALDSON
George W. Donaldson, president of the Second National Bank, was born on a farm in Knox county, near Wheatland, February 11, 1856. He attended the district school iu the neighborhood of his birth and later Vincennes High School in which he took the teacher's course. He became a teacher in the schools of the country and continued so engaged for twelve years. During the time that he was engaged as a teacher he successfully conducted a. farm near Bicknell. In 1884 he embarked in mercantile business at Bicknell, where he carried a general stock. and in which business he remained four years, until, in 1888, he was elected treasurer of Knox County. Before entering upon the discharge of his official duties he disposed of the store. He served two terms as treasurer, having been re-elected in 1890. During his service as treasurer Mr. Donaldson had the satisfaction of seeing the entire indebtedness of Knox county wiped out. At the beginning of his term it amounted to $86,000. Soon after his retirement from office the Seconl National was organized and Mr. Donaldson became its first cashier and has been connected with its active operation ever since. He was elected president in January, 1899. Mr. Donaldson owns and conducts a stock farm of about five hundred acres near Bicknell, devoted principally to neat cattle. He is also one of the proprietors of the Citizen's Bank, of Bicknell, Ind., and a member of the Robinson-Donaldson Buggy Company, of this city. Mr. Donaldson was married in 1878 to Miss Sarah A. Gilmore, of Vigo township, Knox county. They have three daughters and one son. (VP&S)
John M. Duesterberg
John M. Duesterberg, druggist, 624 North Second street, was born, reared and educated in Vincennes. His first employment after leaving school was with H. E. Peck, druggist, in 1861. He remained with Mr. Peck and his successors, Messrs. Luck & Patton, over four years. He was then for three years in the employ of J. E. Lander, druggist. In 1868 he embarked in business for himself, opening a drug store near the old passenger depot in North Vincennes After two years he sold this store and bought an interest with Landers. In 1874 this partnership was dissolved and Mr. Duesterberg opened a store at No. 325 Main street. A year or so later this was removed to No. 316 Main. In 1879 he sold this business and was for a time out of business. In 1883 he opened up a new stock at the corner of Second and Scott. Here he remained ten years. In 1893 he built and occupied his present building at 621 North Second. Mr. Duesterberg was married in 1874 to Miss Mary Rikhoff. of Vincennes(VP&S)
T. F. FRANKE
Theodore F. Franke, merchant tailor, was born at Covmgton, Ky., and received his education in the schools of Cincinnati. In 1887 he went to New York City, where he learned the culler's trade, which he afterwards followed for a time in Cincinnati. Coming to Vincennes February 1, 1891, he entered the employ of B. Kuhn & Co., and remained with them until in July, 1901, he bought the merchant tailoring business they had theretofore conducted. He continued to conduct it at the old location until at the first of December, 1801, he bought the business which had been established by John A. Kapps, at 3031/2 Main Street, where he is now driving a thriving trade. Mr. Franke is a young man of steady and industrous habits and gives close attention to the wants of his customers. As a cutter and fitter he has no superior and finds no difficulty in retaining the patronage of a customer once gained. No one ever said he did not get good value for his money when he dealt with T. F. Franke.(VP&S)
W. J. FREEMAN
William J. Freeman, cashier of the Second National Bank, was born in Washington, Ind., January 3o, 1860. His parents removed to Edwardsport. where his father, Mr. Job Freeman, operated a coal mine, when W. J. was quite small, and here he attended the public schools till 1885, when his father removed to Vincennes and he entered Vincennes University. After one year here he entered Rose Polytechnic School at Terre Haute, where he remained till November, 1887, when, his father becoming auditor of Knox county, W. J. became his deputy, serving in that capacity four years undor his father and one year under C. H. DeBolt. his successor. In 1803 he became assistant cashier 'of the Second National Hank, which position he held till 1800, when he was advanced to the position of cashier, on the election of Mr. G. W. Donaldson to the presidency. Mr. Freeman was married December 23, 1800, to Miss May. daughter of Thomas Bartlett, of Edwardsport. (VP&S)
Robert M. Glass
Robert M. Glass was born in Lewistown, Pa., and educated in the schools of that city. He came to Vincennes in 1879 For a period of seven years he was employed as a salesman by B. Kuhn & Co., and I. Joseph & Sons, In 1885 Mr. Glass embarked in business for himself, buying the millinery business of J. T. McJiinsey, theretofore established at 15 North Second street, where he has continued in business to the present time. Mr. Glass carries one of the most complete lines of millinery in the State and having at all times the best trimmers obtainable, enjoys the cream of the city's millinery trade. Mr. Glass was married in 1885 to Miss Fannie E. Collins, of the city. They have two children. (VP&S)
Green's livery stable, Broadway near Busse- ron, was established by William Green, who came to this country from Somersham, Huntingtonsihire, England, in 1831. After some years spent as a driver of stages, mainly on the Evansville and Terre Haute line, ^during a considerable part of the time making Vincennes a stopping place, he, in 1836. in partnership with Samuel Emison, established a livery business in Vincennes. They continued in partnership till 1S55. con- ducting a livery and stage business, their stable was on the east corner of Second arid Broadway. The stable was built on its present site in 1863 and the business has had a continuous existence since. With his advancing years, Mr. Green, the elder, found in his son Frank a steady and reliable business man on whom his mantle could fall with no fears that it would not rest on worthy shoulders. Since 1890 Frank has conducted the business uninterruptedly, save for a period of two years during which he resided in Indianapolis. Under his management Green's Livery has always done its full share of business. Familiar with every detail, Mr. Green permits nothing but the most faithful attention from his employes and the best service to his patrons. (VP&S)
Eugene Hack was born in Wurtemburg. Germany. Nov. 18, 1840, and came to this country in 1807, and to Vincennes in 1868. He entered the employ of Edward Weisert in a grocery store where he remained for six years, having bought the brewery some time before leaving the employ of Mr. Weisert. Mr. Hack has always been prominently identified with public affairs and is largely interested in many of the prominent manufacturing institutions of the city. He is a director of the German National Bank and of the Vincennes Board of Trade. He is also a member of the Board of Education of the city. Mr. Hack was married in May, 1873, to Miss Dora Hackman, of Vincennes. They have two sons and four daughters. (VP&S)
JOHN F. HALL
John F. Hall, exchange clerk of the Second National Bank, was born in Vincennes, February 24, 1878, and is a son of Henry J. Hall. He was educated in the schools of the city, attending the University for a time. In October , 1807, he became a messenger for the Second National Bank and was later advanced to his present position. John is a bright, steady, industrious young man, and apparently has a prosperous future before him (VP&S)
WILLIAM HENRY HARRISON
Born FEB 9 1773 and died Apr 8, 1841
William Henry Harrison was born on February 9, 1773, and grew up on his family's plantation, Berkeley, in Charles City County, Virginia. He was the son of Elizabeth Basset Harrison and BENJAMIN HARRISON, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and governor of Virginia. wILLIAM HENRY HARRISON attended Hampden-Sydney College for three years. Because Harrison's father wanted his son to become a doctor, he was sent to the medical school of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia to study under the great physician BENJAMIN RUSH. Shortly afterward, when his father died, Harrison decided to pursue a military career. he married Anna Symmes, the daughter of Judge John Cleves Symmes, a wealthy land speculator. The marriage produced ten children, one of whom, John Scott Harrison, was the father of, BENJAMIN HARRISON, who became the 23rd president in 1889. wILLIAM HENRY HARRISON After resigning from the army in 1814, Harrison had an obscure career in politics and diplomacy, ending up 20 years later as a county recorder in Ohio. Nominated for president in 1835 as a military hero whom the conservative politicians hoped to be able to control, he ran surprisingly well against Van Buren in 1836. Four years later, he defeated Van Buren but caught pneumonia and died in Washington on April 4, 1841, a month after his inauguration. Harrison was the first president to die in office.
Geo. R. Harvey
Geo. R. Harvey was born in Kingston, Tenn., May 14, 1818. When George was two years of age his parents removed to a farm in Washington county, Ind., where he remained until twelve years of age. He then entered the employ of a merchant tailor in Salem and there learned the tailor's trade. He remained here five years and then established himself in business at the small town of Bono, in Lawrence county, near the Washington county line. Here he commenced business in 1833 and continued it till 1847. In the latter year on account of failing health, due to his confining occupation, he disposed of his business and for an open air occupation chose flat boating and engaged in this occupation on the east fork of White River, following it for a period of two years. Finding him- self then in fairly good health lie removed to Vincennes, where he embarked in business as a merchant tailor, combining with it a book and stationer business. After two years he sold the tailoring department and confined himself to the book and stationery business. Very soon thereafter in partnership with James A. Mason and L. L. Watson, under the firm name and style of Harvey, Mason & Co., he, about 1853-4, bought the Vincennes Gazette, in connection With which the book and stationery business was subsequently conducted. In 1859 they sold the Gazette to Col. C. M. Allen and Dr. H. M. Smith and later in the same year sold the book store to Major Gould and Dr. Shepard. Mr. Harvey was then for two years engaged in an auction and commission business, embarking, in 1861, In millinery and ladies' furnishings and the manufacture of ladies', misses' and children's wraps. This business grew to large proportions and Mr. Harvey did a business running as high as 40,000 to $50,000 a year, making nearly all the goods in those lines sold in this section. In these lines he has continued to the present time, but with advancing years has dropped some features of the business entirely, and has ceased to push the remainder with his erstwhile vigor, being satisfied with a quiet, little business that provides a comfortable living for himself and family. When at the height of his prosperity in the manufacture of ladies* wraps, etc., Mr. Harvey employed five to six tailors and from fifty to sixty needle women. Our venerable subject recalls the fact that when he came to Vincennes there were in active business in the city fifty-two men. Of these he is now the only one in business. The only other one living is Mr. Christian Eberwine, of 503 Busseron street. Mr. Harvey was married April 12, 1849, to Miss Laura B. Brace, of Haysville, Dubois county, Ind., who is still living and assisting in the business.
Charles W. Helle
Charles W. Helle, dealer in pictures, mouldings, wall paper, paints and window shades, 219 Main street, was born at Freelandville, Knox county, August 11, 1866. His father died when he was but five years of age, and his widowed mother removed soon after to Vincennes, where he attended St. John's Evangelical school and sub- sequently the public schools. Necessity compelled him to seek employment at an early age and he found it mainly in stores until he decided to learn the trade of paper hanger, which he did with Henry Miller. In 1887 he went to Cincinnati and became foreman of the freight house of the C., H. & D. railroad, in which position he remained for six years. He then followed his trade of paper hanger for five years. Returning to Vincennes in 1898, he bought of J. J. Dawson the business which he has since conducted. Mr. Helle was married in 1889 to Miss Mary Hays of Cincinnati.
PROF. ALBERT E. HUMKE
Albert E. Humke was born in Lippe, Detmold, Germany, January 23, 1864. He attended the public schools and a gymnasium of his native country until fifteen years of age, when he, with mother and family, immigrated to this country, coming direct to Wabash, Ind., in 1869, soon after locating in Laketon, where our subject attended the public schools for three years and then became a teacher. The better to fit himself for his chosen profession he attended the State Normal School at Terre Haute, from which he was graduated with honors in 1877. Subsequently he taught as principal as of one of the Ward schools of Wabash. Following this he was for seven years instructor in reading in the State Normal School at Terre Haute. In 1891, Prof. Humke became superintendent of the city schools of Vincennes, a position which he has since held, to the pleasure and profit of their patrons and whose duties he has performed with an assiduity and wisdom that has resulted in one of the best conducted educational departments in the State. Professor Humke was married in 1877 to Miss Mantle D. Gregory of Martinsville, Ill (VP&S)
JOHN RICE JONES
BORN JAN 8, 1792 AND DIED 1845
jOHN RICE JONES was born JAN 8, 1792 IN KASKASKIA, ILLLINOIS a son of JUDGE JOHN RICE JONES AND MARY BURGER. He moved to Texas about 1831, Texas postmaster general, He and Stephen F. Austin were boyhood friends in Missouri, where their fathers were partners in a lead-mining operation.after serving in the WAR OF 1812, under CAPT HENRY DODGE, along with his brothers ADOLPHUS AND MYERS F JONES. soon after moving to TEXAS JOHN received under HEADRIGHT A LEAGUE OF LAN IN FAYETTE COUNTY, AND A LABOR OF LAND IN BRAZORIA COUNTY, but political and army history places his residence as SAN FELIPE. He died in FAYETTE COUNTY, and was buried at FAIRYLAND FARM the original headright he had received. He was married twice, the first time to the daughter of MAJOR JAMES HAWKINS OF MISSOURI the second to SARAH FIDELA HEARD, Sister of CAPTAIN WILLIAM J HEARD, who servedin the BATTLE OF SAN JACINTO.
Lafayette LeGros was born at Allendale, Wabash county, Ill. When he was six or seven years of age his father removed to Bridgeport, Lawrence county, Ill., where he attended the public schools. At the age of seventeen years he engaged to learn the trade of miller and was for several years employed in. a large flouring mill at Bridgeport. Having a natural mechanical turn he quickly obtained an expert knowledge of the trade and was placed in entire charge of the mill at an early age. Finding his health suffered from the occupation, however, he gave it up and came to Vincennes in 1892 and was employed in a bicycle repair shop. In 1894, he accepted a position in a large mill at Davenport, Iowa, which, however, he was compelled to give up on account of his health, after one year. Returning to Vincennes he took charge of a bicycle department for C. Scott & Son. Later he was offered and accepted the formanship of a large bicycle repair shop at Atlanta, Ga. In 1897, with George M. White he established a general bicycle business, of which the present "White Bicycle Company" is the outgrowth.
Mrs. E. J. Loten
Eleanor J. LotenThe business conducted by Mrs. Eleanor J. Loten at 416 Main street, was established by John Loten, about 1856. Mr. Loten was born in England and came to this country with his father in 1853 to a farm near Grayville, 111. He had learned the trade of house painter and decorator in England and in 1854 came to Vincennes, where lie followed his trade for a time and then established a paint and paper store on Fourth street, between Maim and Busseron. He later bought two Main street lots of Dr. Hitt and erected buildings, one of which is yet occupied by the business conducted by his widow, Mrs. Eleanor J. Loten, nee Roberts, to whom he was married in Hull, England, in 1851. Mr. Loten dying in 1876 Mrs. Loten succeeded to the business, which she has since conducted most successfully, having added to it a fine line of pictures, frames and ornamental goods, in which she deals largely.
John F. Mail
John F. Mail, proprietor of Mail's livery, was born in Johnson township, Knox county, July 14, 1860. He was educated in the schools of the county and engaged in fanning on. obtaifiing his majority. Having a good business head as well as the necessary energy and push, Mr. Mail's farming operations were eminently successful and he soon accumulated a competence. In August, 1891, he bought the Caney livery, boarding and sale stables, at 22 South Sixth street, which he continues to conduct. Mr. Mail has probably the largest and most commodious buildings in the city and is always to be found at his post ready to accommodate his trade, which under his management is showing a healthy growth. Mr. Mail was married in 1885 to Miss Annie Johnson, of Johnson township. They have four children. (VP&S)
Dr. R. G. Moore
Ruben G. Moore, M. D., wholesale and retail drugs, paints, toilet articles, etc., 221 Main street, is one of tlie business men of the city who may be said to be old in the business in Vincennes, having been steadily engaged here for more than a third of a century. Dr. Moore was born within six miles of Indianapolis in 1837 and came to Vincennes in 1866. Apparently his long service has not rendered business distasteful to him, for one may confidently expect to find the doctor at his desk at all times Dr. Moore was married in 1867 to Miss Sarah B. Burns, of Moore's Hill, Imd. They have one son, Dr. M. G. Moore, of the city, and two daughters, Mrs. John W. Neptune, of Thorntown, Ind., and Mrs. William Evans Jenkins, of Richmond, Ind. (VP&S)
Patrick M. O'Donnell
Patrick M. O'Donnell cashier of the First National Bamk, is a native of Lawrence county, Illinois, where he was horn on a farm, September 4. 1865. He received his education in the public schools of that county. His father .removed to V'incennes in the year 1879 and the next year our subject became a messenger In the Vmcennes National Bank. He continued in the employ of this bank till. 1884, when he became bookkeeper for the First National, a position which he continued to fill until 1893, when he was made assistant cashier. On the death of Mr. Rabb in 1898, and the election of Mr. Bayard to the presidency, Mr. O'Donnell became cashier, a position which he has since held. He is a member of the firm of J. L. Bayard & Co., insurance. Mr. O'Donnell was married in April, 1893, to Miss Marie C. Convery, of Vincennes. They have three daughters and one son. (VP&S)
James T. Orr
James T. Orr manufacturer and dealer la saddlery, harness, etc., is u native of Ireland, where he was born in 1835, and is of Scotch, His parents, James T. and Catherine Orr, came to America in 1837, and settled at North Vernon, Indiana, whence in 1843, they came to Vinennes. In 1852, at the age of 17 years, he became an apprentice to the saddler's trade in Louisville Kentucky. At the end of three years he returned to Vincennes and embarked in business for himself and has continued in the business here since that date, building up a large and profitable trade. In politics Mr. Orr has always been a Democrat aod in religion a Catholic. He was at one time president of the Vincennes Draw Bridge Company, which constructed the wagon bridge over the Wabash at this place and operated it for a number of years as a toll bridge, and has been prominent in other public enterprises of magnitude. In 1885 Mr .Orr was elected county commissioner and served acceptably for six years. Also served seven years as councilman from the third (now) first ward. He is one of the oldest business men in the city in point of time actually in the harness, and has always been recognized as a man of the strictest integrity and honesty. Mr. Orr was married in 1872 to Miss Mary, daiighter of Thomas P. Beckes. They have four sons and one daughter. (VP&S)
John B. Page
J. B. Page was born in Vincennes, June 13, 1847. He became an apprentice to the harness and saddlery trade with the firm of Page & Orr about 1862, completing his apprenticeship in 1866. He then entered the employ of Page & Orr as a journeyman and Continued with them until the dissolution of the firm in 1873, after Avhieh he was employed by his father until 1882, when he became proprietor of the busi- ness by purchase. Mr. Page's large experience in the business makes him a thoroughly competent man in every department. He has his full share of the trade and we do not hesitate to say that all who trade with him get full value for their money. Mr. J. N. Page, son of our subject, is with him and has been for five years and is a thorough master of the trade. He operates a Landis harness sewing machine which Mr. Page has recently added to his equipment and which does work equal and even superior to hand work. This work, as all of Mr. Page's work, is fully guaranteed. He invites all who are interested to call and inspect this new harness machine and will gladly show them how it works. Mr. Page appreciates the patronage of his friends, is at all times genial and pleasant and glad to receive callers whether purchasers or not. When absent his son will be found abundantly able to represent him whether in the salesroom or otherwise. Mr. Page was married. April 23, 1873, to Miss Mary L. Brouilette, of Vincennes, and has two children. Mrs. W. A. Courter and J. N. Page, both of the city. Two children died in infancy.(VP&S)
Oliver Pierson of the White Bicycle Company, was born in Knox county, Ohio, December 13, 1836. After leaving the public schools, young Pierson took an academic course at Martinsburg and there attended college for a time. He afterward learned the trade of chair maker but did not long follow it, taking up that of house painting, emigrating in 1857 to Marshall county, Illinois. Here he taught school onie year and then returned to Ohio. While in Illinois he met and won Miss Martha Fountain, of Marshall county, and in 1860 returned and married her. He then followed school teaching In Ohio one year, after which he returned to Wenona, Ill., where he followed the trade of house painting for some five or six years. From there he went to Oskaloosa, Iowa, where he was engaged, in the manufacture of window blinds. Here he remained till the fall of 1882, when he removed to Wabash county, Ind., and engaged in the saw mill business. In this he continued till 1892, when he engaged in the same business in Knox county and continued it till the year 1899. Mr. Pierson is a skillful mechanic and well versed in everything pertaining to saws and saw mills; At filing and rehammering saws he has few superiors amd bJs trade in this line is quite large. Mr. Pierson is the father of two sons and two daughters. (VP&S)
James A. Plummer
James A. Plummer , was born at McCoNnellsville. Morgan County, Ohio, October 5, 1826. His mother dying when he was an infant he was placed with relatives at Middletown, Ohio, where he was educated. He served an apprenticeship to the trade of chairmaker in Cincinnati, where he was an active member of the volunteer fire department for ten years. Mr. Plummer came to Vincennes in May, 1854, and was for five years employed as a cabinet maker, following which he was for five years employed in the woodwork department of the O. & M. shops. He then embarked in the manufacture of chairs and house finishing lumber, which he has continued to the present time Ho makes oak dining room and double cane chairs and everything in the way of finishings for houses. His chairs wherever known are popular because of their high quality and durability. He employs from seven to twelve men at good wages. Mr. Plummer was married, in 1851, to Miss Esther M. Jackson, of Cincinnati. They have one daughter. Mrs. J. W. Shaw, of Chicago. (VP&S)
Garrett R. Recker
Garret R. Recker, successor to Convery & Recker, conducts a general foundry and machine shop at Eighth and Hickman Streets, has one of the most complete plants in the state, conveniently arranged and supplied with modern machines of every kind demanded by his trade. His shops employ from 14 to 20 men and do everything in the line comprehended in a general founder and machinists' business. Mr. Recker is not only a thorough master-machinist but a very careful superintendent and thus permits no work to go out of his shop that is not fully up to the requirements. It was thus that a tine business was built up by the firm of Convery & Recker, to which Mr. Recker succeeded on the death of Mr. Convery in January, 1902. Garret R. Recker was born in Vincennes March 2, 1865, and was educated in the city schools. At the age of 15, in 1880, he entered the machine shop of Clark & Buck to learn the trade of machinist and continued in their employ until the year 1893, thirteen years. In that year he and August Convery, also an employee of Clark & Buck for many years, formed a partnership and established a small shop near the corner of Eighth and Hickman. The business grew from year to year until they were finally, in 1900, compelled to erect the large brick building now occupied, and a cut of which appears herewith. Mr. Recker was married February 7, 1888, to Miss Mary E. Ritman, of Newton, Ill. They have four sons and two daughters. (VP&S)
Gerard Reiter, vice-president of the German National Bank, is of German parentage but was born and reared in Vincennes. The date of his birth was Septeiuber 1. 1849. He was educated in the German Catholic and public schools of the city. His first business experi- ence was as clerk in the county auditor's office, which position he filled when but fifteen years of age. He was deputy auditor for eleven years and in 1874 was elected auditor and re-elected in 1878, serving two full terms and completing a total service in the auditor's office of nineteen years. In 1884 Mr. Reiter was elected a member of the State Legislature as joint representative for the counties of Knox. Sullivan and Greene. In 1888, on the organization of the German National Bank, he became vice-president of the institution and has held that position to the present time. Mr. Reiter served six years as an efficient member of the Vincennes school board, from 1883 to 1886 and from 1889 to 1892. In 1897 he was elected supreme treasurer of the Catholic Knights of America, an office which he held for four years, during which time funds of the society amounting to over three millions of dollars passed through his hands. Of this great trust Mr. Reiter acquitted himself, not only with satisfaction to the order, but with distinguished honor to himself. Mr. Reiter was united in marriage, October 24, 1871, to Miss Ellen Green, a native of Belfast, Ireland. (VP&S)
Sebastian Risch was born in Bernolsheim, Canton Brumath, Alsace, Sept 7, 1834. Immigrated to this country in 1854, landing at New Orleans in March of that year. Shortly after landing he came to Evansville, where he remained about nine months, returning to New Orleans in December of the same year. Here he remained four mouths, coming to Vincennes in the spring of 1855. He worked for a short time on a farm and then engaged in making shingles for some months, following this work with a further engagement on a farm for some fifteen months in the years 1855-6. In January, 1857, he took a position with L. D. Smith, grocer. After fifteen months, in 1858, he entered the general store of Roseman & Stewart, with whom and their successor, J. H. Rabb, he remained until 1867, when he removed to a farm near Vincennes. Failing health, due to a bodily injury, compelled him to give up this work after fifteen months and he returned to Vincennes in 1868. He was then for four years toll-keeper at the wagon bridge over the Wabash. In August, 1873, he opened a boarding house at Eleventh and Main. This business was successful and a few years later, in 1877, Mr. Risch embarked in n general merchandise business at No. 112 Main Street. In November of the same year he bought the store of Joseph Laugel at the corner of Tenth and Main, which he has since conducted most successfully. Mr. Risch's genial and pleasant manner has made him a host of friends, while a ready accommodation of his customers and substantial Inducements to trade have built up and retained a very large custom. Mr. Risch was married May 13, 1862, to Miss Mary Heller, of Vincennes, with whose companionship he has been blessed to the present time. They have eight children, three sons, John A., Anthony M. and Joseph, being in business for themselves in the city. Two others, Henry and Lawrence, are in the store with Mr. Risch at this time.(VP&S)
John A. Risch
John A. Risch was born and reared in Vincennes. He is a son of the veteran merchant, Mr. S. Risch, of Tenth and Main Streets. He received his education in the schools of the city and entered the store of his father as a salesman, remaining in tnat position for fifteen years. In 1892 Mr. Risch embarked in business for himself at Second and Tecumseh Streets, where he is still to be found. He carries a general stock of merchandise, including groceries, dry goods, shoes and country produce, and has a large and growing trade. Mr. Risch's close attention to business and his methodical business habits, coupled with a genial and pleasant manner have enabled him to build up a most profitable trade. Notwithstanding the fact that in 1895 he suffered a heavy loss from fire, which destroyed his warehouses and a part of his store building, he now owns the handsome and commodious building in which he is located with a valuable lot adjoining, and carries one of the most complete general stocks in the city. Mr. Risch's high standing with his fellow merchants is evidenced by the fact that he was honored with the presidency of the Association of Retail Merchants on its organization in the summer and fall of 1901. He was made temporary chairman at the first meeting and on completion of the organization became its first president for one year. (VP&S)
George W. Roush
George W. H. Roush was born in Hillsboro, Ohio, May 26, 1851. He received a good education in the schools of that city, having been duly graduated from the high school. He read law with Charles Collins, a leading attorney of Hillsboro, for two years, following which he was for five years local editor of the Hillsboro Weekly Gazette. He was then for seven years deputy sheriff of Highland County, Ohio, until the year 1899, when he came to Vincennes and established a large business as manufacturer and dealer in lumber. His business flourished, and in 1810 he added a basket factory which experienced a constant and rapid growth until its destruction by tire on the night of June 19, 1901, at which time it was employing 126 people and making two car loads of baskets per day. He is making arrangements to renew his basket factory and will begin work thereon early in the spring of 1902. Mr. Roush is the regular Democratic candidate for Mayor of Vincennes, election May 6, 1902. Mr. Roush was married, March 4, 1876 to Miss Cindarella Chapman, of Hillsboro, Ohio. They have two daughters, Mrs. E. F. Tindolph of the city and Miss Georgia. (VP&S)
Victor Schoenfeld was born in Budapest, Hungary, May 19, 1846. Came to America in 1872. The first year after his arrival he spent at Cincinnati; then went to Indianapolis, where be was in business for six years, coming to Vincennes in August, 1879. He went into business at once, conducting, a notion store at 207 Main street He remained at that location nine years, removing to present location, No. 211 Maim, in 1888. He carries a complete stock of proprietary medicines, wall paper, sihades, paints, etc., and a variety of notions anld toys and enjoys a thriving trade. Mr. Schoenfeld was married in 1879 to Miss Rifka Wile, of Vincennes. They have two daughters, Misses Elizabeth and Elvira. (VP&S)
Anton Simon was born in Alsace, France, (now Germany), Nov. 2, 1848, and came to America, direct to Vincennes, in 1862. After his arrival here he was for a six months in the employ of Theodore Huslage. He subsequently was in the employ of William Busse, grocer, for five years and a number of years with John Ebner in his brewery. He then embarked in a confectionery business which he continued for si bout three years, till 1874, when the partnership with Mr. Hack was formed. Like his partner. Mr. Simon is an enterprising and public spirited man. He is Vice President of tfie Board of Trade. Mr. Simon was married in I860, to Miss Caroline, daughter of John Ebner, of Vincennes. He was a second time married, in 1876, to Miss Anna Weisenberger, of Vincennes. They have two sons and two daughters (VP&S)
William Simpson, livery, 15-21 North Third, opposite Grand Hotel, was born on a farm four miles east of Vincennes, Feb. 18, 1869. He attended the public schools and subsequently Vincennes University, almost completing the course of that institution. He remained on the farm till 1891 and was for four years sub- sequently a full partner in the Knox Nuseries. In December, 1895, he accepted a position in the hardware and implement house of Simpson, Emison & Lane. Here lie remained over four years till, in 1900, he bought the livery and boarding stable at the above numbers, which he has since conducted. Mr. Simpson is not only a genial and pleasant gentleman, but an energetic and progressive man and the business under his management has shown material advancement, and the number of its customers has greatly increased. (VP&S)
Richard Bernard "Red" Skelton
Born July 18, 1913 and Died Sept 17, 1997
in Vincennes Indiana to JoSEPH eLMER Skelton and iDA mAE fIELDS . His father was a HagenBeck - Wallace Circus clown who died in 1913 shortly before his son was born. His mother, left with four boys to raise on her own, worked as a cleaning woman and an elevator operator. She taught her son Red, to appreciate art and gave him tickets to vaudeville shows. As Red Skelton later said, "Mom used to say I didn't run away from home. My destiny just caught up with me at an early age." The person most responsible for Red Skelton's involvement in the theater, however, was the famous actor and comedian, Ed Wynn. Wynn came to Vincennes in 1923 to put on a show, and spotted the 10-year-old Red Skelton selling newspapers on the street, to help support his family. Ed Wynn went up to him, bought all his newspapers and invited him to the show. He took Red Skelton backstage where he introduced the slack-jawed Red Skelton to everyone and let him look through the peephole at the audience filing in. Red Skelton fell in love with show business at that moment, which changed his life forever. As a teenager skelton worked one of his first jobs with the same circus. He married in 1930 Edna Stillwell, they divorced about 13 years later. Red then married In 1945, to Georgia Davis. This marriage lasted for 28 years, and resulted in the births of his son Richie and his daughter Valentina. Richie, unfortunately, died of leukemia in childhood, a blow that devastated the family. In 1973 he married his third wife, Lothian Toland. He will be best remembered for his reciting the "Pledge of Allegiance", a sentimental clown who delighted TV audiences for 20 years playing Clem Kadiddlehopper, Freddie the Freeloader and the Mean Widdle Kid, but most of all for his signature sign off " GOOD NIGHT AND GOD BLESS"
HARRY V. SOMES
Harry V. Somes was born in Vincennes September 24, 1866, anti received his education in the Cathedral school and the Vincennes public schools. After leaving school, when yet quite young, he was variously employed in grocery stores and elsewhere for some years, his last employment before entering the bank being with William Davidson, books and stationery. In 1884, in the month of August, he became collector for the First National Bank. Since that time he has been from time to time advanced until in January, 1901, he became assistant cashier, his present position. Mr. Somes was married in 1894, to Miss Bertha O'Daniel, of Owensboro, Ky. They have one son and one daughter. (VP&S)
A. C. Spiker
Augustus C. Spiker was born in Clay County, Illinois, July 1, 1872. When he was twelve years of age his father removed to Stoddard County, Missouri (his mother having previously died), and here he grew to manhood, being employed on the farm and as salesman in a store. His father dying in 1891, he came to Vincennes in May of that year and attended Vincennes University during the school year of 1891-2. He then, in the fall of 1892, entered Purdue University, which he attended for four years and from which he was graduated in June, 1896. His class record having given him a high standing with the authorities, he was at once appointed an instructor in practical mechanics and drawing, a position which be held for two years, in the course of which, on the production of a satisfactory thesis, he received the master's degree of C. E. In 1898 Mr. Spiker came to Vincennes and opened an office for the practice of his profession. In January, 1911, he was engaged to engineer and superintend the construction of a large system of drainage in Stoddard and New Madrid Counties, Missouri, and' has been engaged there since, completing contracts aggregating over $351,000. On the seventh of January, 1902, he let an additional contract for $87,000 worth of work which will begin soon. His thorough mastery of his profession places him in position to take charge of all sorts of construction work and the care with which he supervises work entrusted to him entitles him to the consideration of all who have need of the services of a competent and faithful civil engineer. Mr. Spiker was married, Sept. 26, 1900, to Miss Mabel Loten, grand-daughter of Mrs. E. J. Loten, of the city. (VP&S)
J. S. Spiker
Jacob S. Spiker was horn in Clay Bounty, Coming to Vincennes in 1883, he entered the Vincennes University and was graduated there from in 1887. The following year he was elected surveyor of Knox County. After serving very acceptably to his constituents for something over three years, Mr. Spiker resigned the office for the purpose of taking a special course in civil engineering at Purdue University, which he did. After leaving the university Mr. Spiker. in 1893, opened an office in Vincennes for the practice of his chosen profession, also prepared an index to the Knox County records for the purpose of abstracting titles, in which his office has done a large business, notwithstanding the fact that the increasing demand for his professional services has compelled him to leave this branch mainly in the hands of his associates. Mr. Spiker is a thorough master of his profession, a careful and exacting superintendent, permitting nothing short of perfect compliance with specifications in work which he supervises. He has been employed very largely in the construction of levees, drainage ditches, roads and bridges, and so favorably has he become known through the excellence of his work that his services are in demand in an ever broadening field. He has been compelled to call in the aid of a number of assistants., To a considerable extent his services have been in demand as consulting engineer in matters pertaining to heating and various structural work. Mr. Spiker was in 1898 elected a member of the City Council from the Third Ward and has been one of the most careful and serviceable members of that body. Mr. Spiker was married October 23, 1891, to Miss Elizabeth Hollingsworth, of Vincennes. They have one son. (VP&S)
SAMUEL THOMPSON is a son of Samuel and
Mary (Baird) Thompson, mention of whom is made in the sketch of
Bradway Thompson. He was born in 1809 in Washington Township. He
secured the best education the times afforded, and studied some of
the higher branches, such as surveying and chemistry. Until
twenty-three years of age he lived with his parents. He was married, in 1832, to Opah Ann McCord, born in Kentucky in 1812.
They settled on their woodland farm, fifty acres of which the father cleared. He endured many hardships and privations in order to make a comfortable home for his family. To them were
born these children: Tirza J., Hannah B., William H., Mary E., Louisa, Dorcas A., Henry M., Margaret, Samuel and Isador. William, after attending the Nashville Medical College and practicing about four years, died ; Tirza, Hannah, Louisa and Dorcas have been teachers. Henry M. enlisted in the late war in Company H, Fifty-first Indiana Infantry, and after eighteen months' service sickened and died at Murfreesboro, Tenn. The family
are members of the Presbyterian Church. In 1872 the wife died, and since that time Mr. Thompson has resided with his son Samuel, who owns the home farm. He is a Republican and has filled
several offices, such as township trustee, assessor and magistrate.
He cast his first presidential vote for Jackson.
F. A. Thuis
F. A. Thuis Estate. The business of the F. A. Thuis estate, dealers in harness and saddlery, was established by Francis A. Thuis, now deceased, in 1882, on First, between Main and Busseron Streets, and was removed to 111 Main in 1887. Mr. Thuis had built, up a fine business and was in pros- perous circumstances when death overtook him in 1898. Mr. Louis Thuis, the eldest son, who was attending medical college at the time of his father's death, immediately left school to take charge of the business for the benefit of the estate and has sinte conducted it most successfully. Francis A. Thuis, the founder of this business, was born in Diedam, Holland, in Mareh, 1837, and came to this country with a brother when seventeen years of age, in 185i. Landing at New York, he went thence to Cleveland, Ohio, where he remained some three or four years and then came to Vincennes. On the breaking out of the War of the Rebellion he promptly enlisted in the Twenty-fourth Indiana Infantry as a musician and subsequently as a private in the Ninety-first Indiana, gallantly serving his adopted country till the close of the war. Mr. Thuis was married to Miss Mary J. Page, of Vincennes in 1866, and to the union were born five sons, Louis E., Francis Eugene, Charles A.. Joseph G., now deceased, and Silas Leo, and two daughters, Johana E. and M. Elizabeth. (VP&S)
Henry Watson was born and reared in Vincennes. He was educated in the schools of the city. His first employment after leaving the schools was with Thomas Lamport in the lumber business. He was afterwards for four years a salesman in the general store of G. Weinstein & Co. He then engaged in tin and galvanized iron work with his father, Mr. John Watson, who conducted the business at No. 123 North Second Street, the present location of his business. In 1890 he became proprietor of the business by purchase from his father and has since conducted it at the old stand. Mr. Watson is a careful and conscientious workman and spares no pains to render satisfaction to his custom. That he does so is evidenced by a growth in business in which he may well take an honest pride. Mr. Watson was married in 1800 to Miss Emma Acker. They have three children. (VP&S)
H. T. WILLIS
Henry Thornton Willis was born at Bruceville, Knox County, Aug. 29, 1862. He received his early education In the public schools and later attended' the State Normal School at Terre Haute and became a teacher in the schools of Knox County, being so engaged for six years. He was then for five years city editor of the Daily Sun, after which, in 1891, he became cashier of the Union Depot Hotel, a position which he has held continuously since that date. The high estimation in which Mr. Willis is held in the community is evidenced by the number of positions of trust and responsibility he has held. He was elected secretary of the Board of Trade, March 24, '1899, and has served in that capacity since that time, having been re-elected annually. He became a member of the City Board of Education in June, 1899, and was at the first meeting thereafter elected secretary of the board. The following year he was chosen treasurer and secretary again the next year, in which position he still serves. He was for a number of years secretary and treasurer of the Security Spoke Manufacturing Co., of the city, and was for twelve years, from 1889 to 1901, secretary of the Old Settlers' AsSociation. of Knox, County. He is a member of the Christian Church; and has been treasurer of that organization since 1896. In politics he is a democrat, though of Republican stock. Mr. Willis was married, June 17, 1896, to Miss Grace Burnet of the city. They have one son. (VP&S)