The first of these located was the Vincennes Paper Mill, which was located in September 1886, and was quickly followed by the Enterprise Stove Company the next year. A starch factory was secured in 1888 and proved of great advantage to the city until its destruction by fire. The Fyfield & Lee Woolen Mills were located in the same year. At the meeting of January, 1889, President Dalton, in his annual address, celled attention to four industries that had been secured through the efforts of the Board of Trade: the Paper Mill, Enterprise Stove Works, Glover's Stave Factory and the Woolen Mills, whose combined gross output amounted to $2/2,000 and which employed 270 people to whom the annual payments amounted to $77,000, 38 per cent, of the gross production. These enterprises, so Mr. Dalton said, had cost the people of Vincennes a total of $13,500.
In 1889 the Bell & Armistead Manufacturing Company (sewer pipe
works) was established here at a cost of $5000 to the Board of
Trade. Another $10,000 Eugene Hack was subscribed to this company
later when its plant was destroyed by fire. In this year also the
Hartman Manufacturing Company was organized and placed in operation
and the Baker Manufacturing Company (egg case factory), now owned
and operated by the Vlncennes Paper Company, was secured through the
efforts of the board, so that 1889 was a red letter year in the
matter of the location of factories at Vincennes.
In 1893 the Hartwell Handle Works was located through the efforts of the board. In 1895 the Marlon Hardwood Lumber Company. In 1896, the Inter- State Distillery. In 1897 the Shepherd Paper Mill burning of the Vincennes Paper Company was organized through the efforts of the board and the mills rebuilt on enlarged plans. In 1899 the Vincennes Bridge Company was located. In 1900 Roush's Basket factory was organized, and in the same year an arrangement was concluded with the Central Foundry Company whereby its plant was robe doubled and to employ not less than 250 men. This has been accomplished. In 1901 the Vincennes Window Glass Company was secured to the city and is now employing at good wages about 200 men with the prospect of a constant development and increase of pay roll. In 1901 also the Indiana Handle Company, employing now in the neighborhood of fifty men at good wages, was placed in operation here through the efforts of the board. The board has at its command many good manufacturing sites convenient to water and railroads and is prepared to extend material assistance to worthy institutions of all kinds. The board in its literature holds out the following as some of the inducements for the investment of capital here
Population 14,000. Had gas, electric light and power, electric street railway, filtered water company, stand pipe and direct pressure; maximum power, 90 horse power; minimum power, 40 horse power. Fire alarm system, with a fine modern equipped paid fire department. Lines of traffic -rail and water. Wabash river navigable eight to ten months of the year. Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Pennsylvania Lines. Cleveland, Cincinnati and St. Louis Big Four. Evansville and. Tierre Haute. Three National Banks, whose capital and surplus profits amount to $416,937.17, and their deposits $2,512,810.56. Rate of gas, 95- cents per thousand. Rate of water maximum, 25 cents per 1,000 gallons. Rate of water minimum, 8 cents per 1,000 gallons. Average rate of taxation for past five years, $2.12. Price of Bituminous Coal per ton: Slack, 50c per ton; nut and slack, 85c per ton; mine run, $1.25 per ton; lump, $1.65 per ton. The present officers are: President, Edward Watson, proprietor of Union Depot Hotel and largely interested in various manufacturing concerns; Vice-President, Antoni Sinon, of Hack & Simon, brewers; Treasurer. Joseph L. Bayard, president First National Bank; Secretary, H. T. Willis, cashier Union Depot Hotel; Assistant Secretary, H. J. Foulks, Insurance. The board of directors is composed of leading business and professional men as follows:
The First National Bank, of Vincennes, was organized July 15, 1871 with J. H. Rabb as president and J. L. Bayard cashier. The first board of directors was as follows: Louis L. Watson. John H. Rabb, Abraham Glmbel, Henry Knirihn, W. M. Tyler, Newton F. Malott and Jos. L. Bayard. Of this board only two members are living, Messrs. Watson and Bayard. Messrs. Rabb and Bayard served uninterruptedly as president and cashier, respectively, for almost twenty-seven years, until the death of Mr. Rabb in February, 1898, when Mr. Bayard became president, and Mr. P. M O'Donnell, who had been, in 1893, made assistant cashier, succeeded Mr. Bayard as cashier. These with Mr. H. V. Somes, who was elected assistant cashier in January, 1901, are the present officers. The present board of directors of the First National is as follows: L. L. Watson, J. L. Bayard, E H. Smith, Chas Bierhaus, J. L. Ebner, Edward Watson and J. E. Horn. The condition of the First National, as rendered in its report December 10. 1901, is as follows: Capital stock $100,000.00 Surplus 20,000.00 Undivided profits 50,429.29 Deposits 1,009,861.413 The First National Bank became a depository for government funds in October, 1898.
Second National Bank
The Second National Bank of Vincennes was organized in 1893 with a capital of $100,000 and began business in July of that year, having bought at receiver's sale the building at the north corner of Second and Main streets, formerly occupied by tne Vincennes National Bank. The first officers of the bank were as follows: Allen Tindolph, president; G. W. McDonald, cashier; W. J. Freeman, assistant cashier. The preesnt officers are G. W. Donaldson, president; W J. Freeman, cashier; J. T. Boyd, assistant cashier. The Second National Bank has from the day of its organization enjoyed the confidence of the public in a high degree, the men who have conducted its affairs being recognized as possessed of the most sterling qualities. Its board of directors includes many of our most solid and conservative business men and not withstanding the financial depression, covering a period of several of the eight and a half years since its organization, it has accumulated a surplus of $16,000 and shows a handsome and steady gain in deposits from year to year. The directors of the Second National are as follows: George Fendrich, James I. Kelso, B. Kuhn, R. M. Robinson, J. T. McJimsey, G. W. Donaldson, L. R. Boyd, R. M. Glass and E. Bierhaus, Sr.
The German National Bank
The German National Bank was organized in the spring of 1888, ueginming business on the 4th of April, of that year, at 116 Main street, where it remained until 1805, when it removed to its present quarters, the south corner of Second and Main, having bought the building during the previous year. The first officers of the bank were Selenian Gimbel, president: Gerard Reiter. vice-president; Dr. George R. Alsop. cashier. The first board of directors was composed of the following gentlemen, S. Gimbel, G. Reiter, Wm. Baker, E. Hack, C. Hoffman, A. .Gimbel, A. Heinekamp, Job Freeman and Dr. John W. Milam. The present officers are: President, William Baker; vice-president, Gerard Reiter; cashier, George R. Alsop; assistant cashier, H. J. Boeckman. Directors Wm. Baker, G. Reiter, Eugene Hack, Chris Hoffman, Aug. Heintekamp, Henry J. Hellert, Edwin L. Ryder, F. M. Mail and George R. Alsop. At the date of the last statement rendered the comptroller, December 10, 1901. the condition of the bank was as follows: Capital stock $ 100,000 Surplus and und'ed profits. 50,000 Deposits 1,100,000 The German National is a regular depository for government funds.
The John Ebner Ice Co
The John Ebner Ice Co. (lately incorporated), was established iu 18U, in the corner of Chestnut and Locust Streets. It was not, however, until 1889 that machines were installed, beginning with a 20-ton plant. The capacity of the Vinceuues plant now is eighty tons a day. It employs from twenty-five to forty hands. Besides a large home trade the product is shipped largely south and west, as far south as Cairo, Nashville and St. Louis, and east to Cincinnati, xne John Ebner Ice Co. also owns plants at Washington, Ind., and at Seymour and and Martinsville, the combined capacity of the four plants being 200 tons. Large cold storage plants are operated at Vincennes and Seymour and a smaller one at Washington. The company buys apples largely for storage, besides doing a storage custom business. Mr. Joseph Ebner, manager of the Vincennes plant, is a progressive public spirited man. a leader in every movement for the enlargement and development of the city. He was president of fhe board of trade for the year 1899 and 1900.
The Eagle Brewery
The Eagle Brewery, Hack & Simon proprietors, was established in 1875, when the firm was organized and bought a small brewery that had been operated by John Ebner. A large amount of money was at once spent in enlarging it. A number of new buildings were erected, the plant thoroughly modernized and made the equal of any in this section. The buildings cover several acres of ground and are built on the most approved plans and the most substantial manner. From a small beginning, under intelligent and progressive management, the business of the Eagle Brewery has grown to large proportions. The number of men employed is about twenty-five and the product of the brewery is sold over a radius of one hundred miles or more in every direction. The chief brands of bottle beer are "Elite," "Export" and "Erlanger."
The Vincennes Window Glass Company
The Vincenues Widow Glass Company was organized at Albany, Ind., April, 1901, by a number of men, most of whom are experienced in the glass industry. The factory, which is built upon the most approved plans, including every known improvement and appliance, including producer gas, is up to date in every particular. The tank, which is of the latest design, and of twenty-four blowers capacity, was erected in the summer of 1901. The manufacture of window glass, the sole product of this factory, was begun Nov. 1, 1901, and it makes a quality of glass that is nowhere excelled. This fact, coupled with the large business acquaintance of the management, has already resulted in sales over a broad range of territory extending in the North to Duluth. Minn., and in the South to Jackson, Miss., Macon. Ga., and Memphis, Tenn. In the West to Portland, Oregon, and Walawala, Washington. St. Louis and Chicago also furnish a good market for the best quality and sizes. Many other large cities also, are taking a large amount of its product. The present capacity of the factory is from four to five car loads per week; and with the present demand for window glass, the prospects are that it will be necessary in the near future to enlarge the plant. It now employs about 100 men, largely skilled labor, and its pay roll averages about .$12,000 per mouth. The manager of the company, Mr. Andrew Tuite. has been engaged in the window glass business more than thirty years. Mr. Tuite has been uniformly successful in the business, in fact, he knows no such word as "fail" and is still active and energetic. He is thoroughly capable of filling the position he occupies with the company, as manager. The officers of the company are Wm. Tuite, president; A. K. Ilartman, secretary and treasurer; Andrew Tuite, manager. The directors are: A. P. Hartman, Andrew Tuite, Wm Tuite,Joseph Baures Sr., John Middlehurst, John Tuite, John Wenzel, Fred Perkins, and Thomas Dixon.
The Vincennes Paper Company
The Vincennes paper Co. was established in 188(3, by Jacob Sheperd and Mrs. S. T. Cottrill, of Urbana, Ohio. After being in successful operation for several years 1he plant was destroyed by flie in 180o and in the following year the company was incorporated and a new and enlarged plant erected. Of the new organization A. M. Sheperd became president and E. S. Sheperd, secretary and treasurer, and they have continued to hold the same offices to the present time. The product of the mills is straw board, of which it makes a superior quality, and its capacity is fifteen tons daily. Its product is sold in all parts of the country, reaching westward to California and to all parts of the east and south and northward into Canada. The company employs about forty hands and consumes iaimense quantities of straw from the farms and waste paper from the city, providing a ready cash market for substances that would otherwise be almost valueless.
The Vincennes Egg Case Company
The Vincennes Egg Case Company, organized in 1891 for the manufacture of straw board fillers for egg cases, is an industry of considerable importance to the city, giving employment to an average of something like fifty people. mostly girls. The company was incorporated in 1900. The officers are A. M. Sheperd, president, and E. S. Sheperd, secretary and treasurer. The capacity of its factory is about 3.500 sets of fillers daily, using board made by the Vincennes Paper Mills. It has built up a trade that reaches to the limits of the United States and Canada, and finds no difficulty in disposing of its entire output as rapidly as it can be produced. The Vincennes Bridge Company. The Vincennes Bridge Co.. manufacturers of bridges of every character, and structural work in iron and steel, was organized in January, 1899, with the following officers, who have continued to the present time without change: John T. Oliphant. president: J. L. Riddle, secretary; F. L. Oliphant. treasurer. These are the only stockholders in the concern. Before deciding on Vincennes as a location for the business, President Oliphant spent six months traveling in ten or twelve states, examining many sites and considering many propositions, some of which, in the way of bonuses, were much superior to the inducements offered by Vincennes, but finally decided that the advantages possessed by Vincennes were so great as to outweigh all other inducements offered, and accordingly fixed upon this location. The character of the work done by this company is such as to give en/tire satisfaction and the business has developed rapidly. For the past year the company has been unable to keep up with its orders and has been compelled to increase the capacity of its plant to which end a large addition is now nearing completion. New machinery will be installed and the force of workmen increased.
The Vincennes Bridge Company
The Vincennes Bridge Co.. manufacturers of bridges of every character, and structural work in iron and steel, was organized in January, 1899, with the following officers, who have continued to the present time without change: John T. Oliphant. president: J. L. Riddle, secretary; F. L. Oliphant. treasurer. These are the only stockholders in the concern. Before deciding on Vincennes as a location for the business, President Oliphant spent six months traveling in ten or twelve states, examining many sites and considering many propositions, some of which, in the way of bonuses, were much superior to the inducements offered by Vincennes, but finally decided that the advantages possessed by Vincennes were so great as to outweigh all other inducements offered, and accordingly fixed upon this location. The character of the work done by this company is such as to give en/tire satisfaction and the business has developed rapidly. For the past year the company has been unable to keep up with its orders and has been compelled to increase the capacity of its plant to which end a large addition is now nearing completion. New machinery will be installed and the force of workmen increased.
John T. and F. L. Oliphant, brothers, were born at Buena Vista, Indiana. J. T. Oliphant first went into the hardware business and sub- sequently in real estate. After two years in the latter business became one of the organizers of the New Castle Bridge Co., in 1894. Of this company he was vice president, and secretary until 1898, when he resigned and organized the Vincennes Co. F. L. Oliphant was a teacher for fourteen years, the last seven as principal, three at Diller, Neb., and four at Teller, Colo- rado. He was graduated from the Central Normal School at Danville, Ind., in 1892. Mr. Little was, prior to embarking in this business, a merchant at Cincinnati, Indiana. (note: name should be
The Central Foundry Co. is one of Vincennes most important industries. Its location here was in a large measure due to a chance meeting in Louisville, Ky., of William Warner, of the firm of Matthew Addy & Co., of Cincinnati, with Alfred Bell and William J. Armistead. They were contemplating the organization of a company for the manufacture of sewer pipe and looking for a location. Mr. Warner, who was impressed with the superior advantages offered by Vincennes for such an institution, suggested the propriety of their locating here. They took the matter under advisement and after investigation the matter was taken up with the Board of Trade here, in the office of DeWolf, Chambers and DeWolf, February 25, 1889. The result was the prompt organization of the company, the necessary stock being subscribed, largely by local capitalists. At this meeting the first board of directors was chosen, as follows: Edward Watson, Eugene Hack, Chas. Bierhaus, Alfred Bell and William J. Armistead. At a second meeting, held in the office of Hack & Simon, officers were elected, as follows: Edward Watson, president; W. J. Armistead, secretary and treasurer; Alfred Bell, general manager. During the summer of 1889 the plant was erected and put into operation. But misfortune soon overtook the new enterprise in the shape of a fire, by which it was totally destroyed in December, 1889. No time was lost in rebuilding. The enterprise of Vincennes capitalists was equal to the emergency. The directors increased the capital stock of the company and the additional stock was quickly taken. The plant was immediately rebuilt. But the struggling young company was not yet to have smooth sailing, for not long thereafter it suffered a loss of $10.000 through the failure of a large eastern corporation and was a second time the victim of the destroying element, in 1894. In July, 1898, the Vincennes plant became the property of the Central Foundry Co., a corporation embracing a large number of such institutions throughout the country. The company has recently built large additions to its plant, which will enable it greatly to increase its force of employees and its output. When the contemplated additions are made to its working force it will employ about 300 men and have a weekly pay roll aggregating more than $2,500. The present manager is Paul G. Rahe; John B. Pruilage is superintendent. The office force consists of A. H. Rogers and C. F. Posson, bookkeepers; H. C. Bultman, time keeper; John Herding, shipping clerk; Miss Lydia Busse, stenographer. union and to England. They also make neck yokes, singletrees, doubletrees, etc., for wagons and carriages. They also handle rough wagon stock from the mills. The number of men employed in the Vincennes plant and in the auxiliary work in the timber is 65 to 75 and the business of the factory runs about $100,000 per annum.
The Hartwell Handle Works
The Hartwell Handle Works, conducted by Hartwell Bros., an incorporated company, is located at First and Seminary Streets. The officers of the company are F. G. Hartwell, Chicago, president; M. C. Hartwell, Clifton, Tenn., vice president; W. A. Hartwell, of Vincennes, secretary; C. L. Hartwell, of Vincennes, treasurer and manager. The business of which this is the outgrowth was established at Delphos, Ohio, in 1865, by John T. and E. T. Hartwell brothers, progenitors of the present members of the company. The business was removed to Vincennes in 1893. The products of the factory are hickory handles of every description, Including hand shaved ax handles, machine made ax, pick, sledge hammer and other handles, many of special pattern for a particular trade, as California, England, etc. They ship by car load lots to California and throughout the Indiana Handle Company. The Indiana Handle Co. is an incorporated concern for the manufacture of handles. Its officers are James A. Taylor, president, Geo. W. Caldwell, vice president; O. J. Mobley, secretary; T. R. Welch, treasurer. The organization was effected in May, 1901 and soon thereafter operations were begun. The company having leased the idle hub and spoke factory, renovated it and replaced its machinery with new and improved handle machines. They make shovel, fork, rake and hoe handles, using ash timber only. They employ thirty-five hands in the mill, which force is increased to fifty by the men employed in the woods and on the roads. They ship their product to all parts of the United States and to England. The present output of the factory is about 1,200 to 1,400 dozen handles per week.
The Hartman Manufacturing Company
The Hartman Manufacturing Company is the outgrowth of a business established in 1889 by The annual business is in the neighborhood of $100,000, bidding fair to show a large increase for the current year. C R. Hartman, for the manufacture of agricultural implements. The growth of the business was such that an incorporated company with enlarged capital was formed in 1891, of which J. H. Rabb, now deceased, was president, Fred Harsch. secretary and treasurer, and C. R. Hartman, superintendent. The present officers of the company are Edward Watson, president: Louis A. Meyer, secretary and treasurer; William M. Willmore, manager; W. Louis Schmidt, superintendent. The company manufactures riding and walking two-horse cultivators for corn, cotton, and tobacco and a full line of rolling coulters for breaking plows. It makes a superior quality of goods which find litle difficulty in meeting all competition wherever introduced and they are making steady progress over a rapidly expanding territory. The goods are sold strictly on their merit and the management never fear any fair test in any field. At present the number of men .employed in the factory averages about forty. They have three traveling men and a trade which embraces the states of Indiana. Illinois. Ohio and Kentucky, which are pretty thoroughly covered.
Vincennes Galvanized Iron Works
Peter Rockford McCarthy, proprietor of the Vincennes Galvanized Iron works, was the second of a family of seven children born to Michael McCarthy in Parish Fackle, County Clare, Ireland, the date of his birth being March 10, 1849. After the death of Mr. McCarthy' mother, his father, with his seven children, Peter B. then being twelve years of age, came to America, residing one year thereafter at Hoboken, N. J. He then removed to Washington. Ind., and thence to Leavenworth, Kansas, where, the father later lost his life in a railroad accident. Mr. McCarthy, hav- ing received a good common school education in Ireland, became a locomotive engineer and was in that capcity employed for eight years on the O. & M. railway. After that he had charge of a fire engine in the Vincennes fire department aud while thus employed was elected city treasurer in 1879. To this office he was reelected in 1881, serving two full terms, thereby being disqualified under the law for reelection. Be- fore the expiration of his second term of office he had established his present business to which he now gives his undivided attention, and which has reached large dimensions, exceeding $50,000 per annum, and including contracts reaching into a number of states, his specialties being galvanized iron cornice, roofing, etc. In politics Mr. McCarthy is an uncompromising Democrat and has long been an influential member in the councils of the party. He served four years as chairman of the Democratic County Committee and has attended every state convention of his party since he became a voter. He was doorkeeper of the National Democratic convention which, in 1892, nominated Grover Cleveland for the presidency. Mr. McCarthy has been for nearly twenty years a trustee of St. Francis Xavier Cathedral. He is president of Vincennes branch, No. 256, C. K. of A., and is also supreme mustering officer of the U. R. C. K. of A., and has been president of the state organization of C. K. of A. He is a member of Vincennes Lodge, No. 291, B. P. O. E. of which he was recently chosen/ E. R. by unanimous vote. He was a charter member of the Vincennes Board of Trade. Mr. McCarthy was married April 4, 1871. to Miss Mary O. Dubois, of Vincennes, a niece of Jesse K. Dubois, who was for eight years state auditor of Illinois, and a cousin' of Senator Fred Dubois, of Idaho. They have seven children living and two dead.
The Broadway Mills, owned and operated by Christian Hoffman, have a capacity of 350 barrels first grade flour per day, which is sold throughout the country. They employ steadily from eight to ten men.
Atlas Mills . J. & S. Emison. proprietors. Established 1880. Large dealers in grain. In 1901 this firm handled between 400.000 and 500.000 bushels of wheat.
The Vincennes Elevator Co., southeast corner First and Broadway, was organized in 1898. Does a general grain and elevator business, owning the steamer Vincennes and barges. Samuel A. Jordan. A. G. Jordan. A. M. Jordan.
Enterprise Stove Company
The Enterprise Stove Company was organized in 1888. It is an incorporated company of ample capital. The officers are: President. Edward Watson, vice president. Eugene Hack: secretary and treasurer, George Thompson. Their product is stoves, heating and cooking, gas stoves, ranges and steel ranges. The factory is located at the corner of Eleventh and Nicholas streets and employs about seventy-five men. including five traveling salesmen. The company enjoys a large trade, covering Indiana. Illinois. Western Ohio and Eastern Kansas.
The Vincennes Water Supply Company
The Vincennes Wafer Supply Company was formed in 1886, the name at that time being Bullock & Mercer, No. 11 Wall street, New York. About 1890 the property passed into hands of Walter Wood, 400 Chestnut street, Philadelphia . There is, however a considerable amount of the stock held in the city. These works are on the standpipe system, also having direct pressure. T'he stand-pipe is one of the highest in the United States, being 200 feet high. It is 22 feet in diameter and has a capacity of 575,000 gallons. There are in use three compound condensing pumps, two high pressure duty, pumps each of 2,000,000 gallons capacity, and one low pressure service pump of 3,000,000 gallons capacity. The filter system is there being six subsiding tanks of 35,000 gallons each. The consumption of the city has run 500,000 to 1,700,000 gallons daily.
DRY GOODS, CLOTHING, ETC.
H. Brokhage & Sons. The firm of H. Brokhage & Sons, dealers in dry goods, clothing, gents' furnishings, carpets,c, is composed of Herman Brokhage and his two sons, John T. and Louis A. Herman Brokhage, the founder of the business, senior member of the firm, was born in Essen. Grand Duchy of Oldenberg, Germany, August 2, 1845. Emigrated to this country, coming direct to Vincennes, in 1866, when twenty-one years of age. His first employ- ment here was with Theodore Huslag, an uncle, who had long been established in busi- ness here, in one of the buildings now occupied by the firm of H. Brokhage & Sons. He later entered the employ of J .B. La Plante & Brother, with whom he remained thirteen years. After this he again became a salesman for Mr. Huslag, with whom he remained until the death of the latter in 1889, when) he bought the stock and has continued the business to the present time having admitted his sons into partnership with him in 3900. Brokhage & Sons is one of the enterprising and progressive firms of Southern Indiana. Without bluster or braggadocio this firm has gone steadily forward, enlarging and developing a business that has reached mammoth proportions. Its stock now occupies two large buildings three stories high. They have a commodious passenger elevator and other modern appliances that betray the enterprising spirit that animates them, and it is pleasing to note that the growth of their trade keeps pace with the enlarged investments and improvements. Herman Brokhage was married in 1875 to Miss Clara Delfman, of Vincennes. They have two sons, those named as members of the firm.
Gimble, Haughton & Bond
The firm of Gimble, Haughton & Bond is composed of Chas. L. Haughton, Frank M. Bond and Jacob Gimbel. The firm was organdzed in December, 1899, buying the dry goods department of L. Joseph & Sons, occupying numbers 202-4 Main Street. Charles L. Haughton was born at Niagara, New York, and came West in 1867, spending some three or four years in various parts of Minnesota, Iowa and the Southwest. In the winter of 1872 and 1873, he came to Oaktown, Knox County, and was for a year or so employed by a brother who was in business there. Embarked in business for himself at Oaktown in 1874, forming a partnership with Elias De Lashmutt, under the firm name of Haughton & De Lashmutt, doing a business in general merchandise. In 1876 Mr. Haughton bought his partner's interest and continued to conduct the business till December, 1899, when he sold it and came to Vincennes, forming the partnership first above named. Mr. Haughton took in marriage Miss Emma C. Pugh, daughter of Dr. J. W. Pugh, of Oaktown. They have four children. Two daughters, Daisy H. and Mary S., now students at De Pauw University, and two younger children at home.
Frank M. Bond, was born and reared in Oaktown, Ind., and was for a number of years in the employ of Mr. Haughton at that place. He was subsequently for ten years connected with the First National Bank of this city, as teller, resigning that position January 1, 1900, to engage actively in the present business. J
acob Gimbel was born and reared in the City of Vincennes and after leaving college conducted a business for his mother prior to the formation of the firm of which he is at present a member. The enterprise, energy and progressive business methods which have characterized the "Busy Corner" since the advent of this firm, have resulted in a business of which they may well be proud.
Source: Vincennes in Picture and Story by J. Hodge, 1902
Copyright © Genealogy Trails