KNOX COUNTY INDIANA
Pioneers of Knox County
JOHN C. ADAMS attorney at law in Vincennes, Ind., was born on a farm, eleven miles from Terre Haute, Ind., April 30, 1850. He is a son of J. P. and Frances (Ivey) Adams. John C. was a bound boy from six to thirteen years of age. He continued farm work until about nineteen years old, and then entered the Ascension Seminary at Farmersburg, Sullivan Co., Ind., and remained there three years, when he went to Pittsburgh, Penn., and took a business course in the Iron City Commercial College, during the winter of 1872-73, and later taught school in the Sullivan public schools. In the summer of 1873 he began reading law in the office of Buff & Buff, of Sullivan, but taught school more or less until 1877. In the spring of that year he was admitted to the Knox County, bar. In 1881 he took charge of the Vincennes Commercial, but is now engaged in the practice of his profession. He was married, in 1875, to Sarah, daughter of Col. J. L. Culbertson. She was born in Knox County in 1853, and has borne her husband these four children: Eloise, Reily, Emily and George. Mr. Adams is a Republican in politics, and is a worthy citizen of the town and county.
THEO. P. AGNEW, grocer, of Vincennes, Ind., was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, February 16, 1842, son of Martin and Frances (Phillips) Agnew, natives of New York and Ohio respectively. The family came to Knox County in 1844, and located on a farm in Decker Township, and later removed to the city, where the father followed bookkeeping a number of years, and later engaged in the dairy business, which he followed until his death in 1867. Theo. P. was reared in this city, and obtained a very good education in the public schools. In 1862 he started out in the steamboat business, and engaged in the same rather extensively on the Wabash, Ohio, Tennessee, Cumberland and Mississippi Rivers for twenty-four years. In 1870 he became financially interested in the line of steamboats on the "Wabash River, which enterprise he conducted successfully until 1885. Among the boats he built and managed were the " Belgrade," " Vigo" and others. In November, 1885, Mr. Agnew quit the river, and engaged in the grocery business in this city, in which he is meeting with good success. In 1875 he married Ella Green, a native of Knox County. They have three children: William, George and Bay. He is a Republican and a K. of P., and is justly recognized as among the enterprising and successful business men of Vincennes.
CYRUS McCRACKEN ALLEN, of Vincennes, was born in Clark County, Ky., April 22, 1815, son of Thomas Allen, one of the early and highly-respected pioneers of Indiana. Cyrus M. secured such education as could be procured at that early day. He followed mercantile pursuits a few years after attaining his majority, but soon dropped that and began the study of law, with the view to making it a profession, reading in Winchester, and later attending a course of lectures in the law department of the old Transylvania University, of Lexington, Ky. About this time he married Mary Lander, and in 1840 removed to Indiana and embarked in his profession at Paoli, Ind., but the following year located at Petersburg, where he practiced law four years, removing to Vincennes in 1844, where his legal ability soon placed him in the front rank of his profession. He took an active part in the political affairs of the county, and in 1859 was elected to the State Legislature by the old Whig party, and here his legislative ability was as marked as his knowledge of the law, gaining him a State reputation. Later he resumed the practice of law, and also engaged as contractor, and assisted in the construction of the Ohio Mississippi Railroad (eastern division), and also built part of the Indianapolis & Vincennes Railroad, also Cairo & Vincennes and Illinois River Railroads. He was a great admirer of Lincoln, and was one of the first to present his name for the nomination to the presidency. In 1860 he was elected by the Republican party to the State Legislature, serving as speaker in that memorable session. He broke a quorum by leaving the capitol, thus thwarting the plans of the Democracy, who were leaguing against Gov. Morton and the Union. In 1863 he was candidate for Congress against W. E. Niblack, but was defeated, owing to the hopeless minority of his party. From that on he retired from public life, and devoted his attention to legal pursuits until he was disabled by disease and was compelled to retire from active work. His death, resulting from paralysis, occurred November 2, 1883. His first wife died, and he took for his second wife her sister, Sallie Lander, who still survives him, also C. M. Allen, Jr., by his first wife. Mr. Allen had a State, if not a national reputation, as an eminent judge of law, a statesman of broad views, a public-spirited citizen, a man of marked literary ability, and in his death Knox County and the State suffered a loss not easy to replace.
JOHN ALLEN, grocer of Vincennes, Ind., is a native of Evansville, Ind., born June 16, 1863. His parents are John and Ellen (Vickery) Allen, natives, respectively, of England and Ireland, and are now residents of Fort Branch, Gibson Co., Ind' John was raised in Evansville and attended the public schools of that city. In 1879 he came to this city and engaged as clerk in the grocery store of his uncle, John Vickery. In 1883 he purchased a one-half interest in the business, which he held until his uncle's death in August, 1885. Since that time he has assumed complete management and control of the business. He has an excellent stock of goods and is doing well financially. December 11, 1884, he wedded Sarah Callender, a native of Parke County, Ind., who died October 9, 1885; had one child, also deceased. In politics he is a Republican and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and although a young man is recognized as one among the successful business men of this city.
DR. GEORGE R. ALSOP, clerk of the Knox County Courts, was born in Sperryville, Rappahannock Co., Va., December 19, 1851; son of Dr. William S. and Lavinia H. (Amiss) Alsop, who were natives of Virginia, where they lived and died. George R. was reared in his native State and secured an ordinary education in the common branches. At the age of seventeen he left home, and in the summer of 1869 located in Sullivan County, Ind., where he worked at manual labor during the summer months and taught school during the winter seasons until April, 1873, when he began the study of medicine at New Lebanon, Ind., and afterward attended the Indiana Medical College at Indianapolis during 1873-74. He then spent the summer of 1874 reading medicine in Yazoo County, Miss., and attended the medical department of the University at Louisville, Ky., graduating March 1, 1875. He practiced his profession about six months in Sullivan County, Ind., when he came to Knox County and formed a partnership with Dr. M. M. McDowell, of Freelandsville, with whom he remained until 1883, when he came to Vincennes to assume the duties of the clerk's office, which position he has filled with ability to the present time. He is a stanch Democrat in politics, and in 1878 was chosen by that party to the position of trustee of Widner Township, which he held until 1882, when he was elected to fill his present office in November of that year. April 20, 1875, he married Miss Jennie McClellan, of Sullivan, Ind. They have four children: Thomas B., William M., Eustis F. and Byrdie L. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic and I. O. O. F. fraternities, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church; he is considered a worthy and efficient office-holder.
THOMAS J. AXTELL was born in Washington, Penn., February 3,1835, and is a son of Thomas and Mary (Weir) Axtel, both natives of Pennsylvania. The father removed with his family to Knox County, Ind., in 1836, where he engaged in the mercantile business in the town of Bladensburgh, and here our subject was reared. After securing the ordinary English education he began clerking in his father's dry goods store. When sixteen years of age he left home and clerked in Mount Vernon, Ohio, for four years. After taking a trip to Texas he returned to New Albany, Ind., and in the winter of 1859 came to this city and engaged in the dry goods business for himself, continuing until the war broke out, when he sold out his business, and was traveling salesman for A. L. Scoville & Co., of Cincinnati, Ohio, for four years. He then returned to this city, and he and F. M. Myers formed a partnership in the dry goods business. In 1879 he purchased Mr. Myers' interest, and has since successfully conducted the business alone. He keeps an excellent stock of goods, and is doing quite well financially. October 16, 1862, he married Edna A. Rodarmel, daughter of Samuel Rodarmel, who was a prominent man of the county. To them were born three children, all of whom are living: Edwin B., Frank F., and Ella E. Mr. Axtel is a warm Republican, and takes an active part in political affairs. He has been a member of the city council, and is now a member of the city school board. He is a Mason, Knight Templar degree, and he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
JOSEPH BAIRD the oldest man now living who was born in Knox County, is a son of Thomas and Jane (Johnson) Baird. The father was born in 1749, in Pennsylvania. The mother, a native of the same State, was born in 1764; both had been married once before. After their companions were taken away both moved to Kentucky, where they were married 1791. Having lived there till 1801 they came to this county, where they spent the remainder of their days. The father was a farmer, owning 200 acres of land. In this family were fifteen children, the mother having three by her first marriage ; the father six, and by their marriage also six. Both were members of the Presbyterian Church. He was one of the sturdy old patriots who fought in the Revolutionary war. In 1834 he died at the ripe old age of eight-five. The mother died in 1850. Joseph's ancestors, on both sides, were of Irish descent. He was born in 1805 in Vincennes Township. In boyhood he had only the advantage of the old time subscription schools. He lived with his father till twenty-eight years of age ; was then married, in 1833, to Nancy L. Johnson, born in 1811, in Kentucky. She is a daughter of Samuel and Mary (Martin) Johnson. To them two children were born: Thomas J., and Samuel J. Thomas died when a child. Samuel was one of the brave boys of Company H, Fifty-first Indiana Infantry. Husband and wife are members of the Christian Church. Mr. Baird has been one of the most active and trustworthy business men of his vicinity, having been guardian for thirty-four orphan children, and turned over to them more than §60,000. Soon after marriage . he settled on the farm of 196 acres, where he now lives. When he located it was nearly all in the woods and destitute of buildings. By hard work he has put it all under fence, and has 100 acres in cultivation. As a farmer he has been quite successful. He is a man ever ready to support the worthy enterprises of his community, and as a citizen he is widely known and highly respected. Mr. Baird is a stanch Republican. He voted first for J. Q. Adams.
THOMAS P. BECKES, a very prominent citizen of Knox County, was born November 15,1819, in Harrison Township, being the youngest of a family of four children born to Benjamin and Elizabeth (Frederick) Beckes. The father was born in Vincennes in 1786 and the mother was born in about 1783. Benjamin Beckes was reared in Vincennes and spoke French very readily, but was probably of Welsh descent. He was a farmer and stock dealer and also one of the most successful men of the county. He was sheriff of Knox County, having been appointed to fill a vacancy and afterward elected. He was in the battle of Tippecanoe and all through the Indian wars preceding the war of 1812. In the Black Hawk war he was captain of a company. He was familiarly known as Maj. Beckes, from the part he took in militia drills for defense against the Indians. He was a man of very decided character and wonderful energy. He served in the State Legislature several years during the early days. The mother was of a family of very early settlers and of Dutch descent. When she was but eleven years old she was taken prisoner-. by the Indians, but in a few days made her escape. She was brought up, lived and died in this county, her death occurring April 9, 1856, and the father's occurring December 3, 1859. When she was married to Mr. Beckes she was the widow of Mr. Rea, a very early settler. Such is the parentage of our subject, who is one of two surviving children. He was reared on a farm in this county, and received such education as was afforded by the primitive schools of the time. He remained with his parents until arriving at the age of twenty-three, when he married and moved upon the farm where he now resides, and where he has been one of the most successful farmers of the county. He was married November 15, 1842, to Margaret Emison, a daughter of Samuel Emison, who came from Kentucky at an early day. She was born August 15, 1824. To them were born twelve children, eleven of whom are now living: John H., Mary, Benjamin E., Samuel E., Elizabeth, Alice, Margaret, Anne, Martha, Eunice and Sarah. Five of them are married and live near home. The family are all members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Beckes has always been a Democrat, and is said to have been the first English child born in Vincennes. He has just retired from a three years' term as county commissioner. He is one of the prominent men of his county and is noted for his love of home and home surroundings, and is universally respected as a moral and upright man.
WILLIAM B. BEDELL, M. D., was born in Knox County, Ind., March 30, 1856, son of Clayborn and Mary (Smith) Bedell, and is of French and German descent. His father was born in Kentucky in 1825, and his mother in Knox County, Ind., in 1829. His boyhood days were spent in Johnson Township where his parents lived, working on the farm and attending district schools. In 1875 he began teaching school, and continued that vocation a few years. That same year he attended the Vincennes High School, and two years later attended school at what is now De Pauw University, in Indiana. He began the study of medicine in the summer of 1877, under the direction of Dr. A. J. Patton of Vincennes, and attended lectures at the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis, and from that school graduated March 4, 1880, and the same year located at Sumner, Ill., and after remaining there four years came to Vincennes and has here continued to reside since that time engaged in active practice. In 1884 he was appointed physician of the Knox County Asylum, and still retains that position. In June, 1885, he was appointed pension examiner, and in May of the same year was chosen secretary of the City Board of Health. He was married June 9, 1880, to Fannie M. Setzer, a native of Knox County, born in 1856. They have two children, named Otto S. and Pansy E. Dr. Bedell is a Democrat, member of the Presbyterian Church, and one of the leading physicians of the county.
WILLIAM W. BERRY, a retired farmer, and president of the Knox County Agricultural Society, is a native of said county, born near Wheatland June 15, 1823, son of Andrew and Mary (McDonald) Berry. He is the youngest of their four children, and is of Scotch-Irish descent. His parents were born in North Carolina and South Carolina in 1792 and 1796 respectively. The father came to Indiana in 1816, locating in Knox County, where he followed merchandising, and died in 1857. The mother died ten years later. William's paternal grandfather, John Berry, was a slaveholder in his native State of North Carolina. Subject's boyhood days were spent on the farm and in attending the subscription schools, where he received a good common school education. Since reaching man's estate his life has been devoted to farming. In this he has been very prosperous and now owns 450 acres of good land. The old homestead purchased by his father in 1821 is his. In 1870 he moved to Palmyra Township, three miles from Vincennes, and in September, 1885, moved to the city. In 1847 he was married to Miss Mary Lillie, who died in 1851, leaving one child, Nancy A. In 1865 Mr. Berry married Arabella Lillie, who was born in Knox County in 1844. To them were born eight children, five now living: Lillie M., Jessie R., Andrew, Anna and Ida M. Mr. Berry is a Democrat, and in 1862 was elected treasurer of Knox County, and re-elected in 1864. In March, 1884, he was chosen president of the Knox County Agricultural Society, and has since filled that position with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of the people.
JOHN C. BEVER, M. D., of Vincennes, Ind., was born in Steubenville, Jefferson Co., Ohio, January 26, 1819, and is a son of David and Sarah (Clowes) Bever, who were natives respectively of the Emerald Isle and the State of Delaware. The father came to the United States in 1810, and engaged in the manufacture of woolen goods in Delaware and Ohio, but finally settled on a farm in Coshocton County, Ohio, where he died in 1849. Here our subject grew to manhood and secured a good literary education for that day. Early in life he manifested a desire to learn the medical profession, his mother being a skillful nurse and his maternal grandfather a successful practitioner. John C. began early in life to study medical works, and in 1848 entered the Physio-Medical College at Cincinnati, Ohio, and graduated from that institution in 1850. Later he entered the Cincinnati Medical College, but received no diploma from the latter institution. He first began the regular practice of his profession in Coshocton County, Ohio, in 1850, and four years later he removed to Martin County, Ind., where he practiced twelve years. In 1866 he removed to Vincennes, where he has since resided, engaged exclusively in attending to his medical duties, which occupy his entire time. He controls a large and remunerative practice, and merits the confidence reposed in him by the people. In 1845 he was married to Nancy A. Payne, of Lafayette, Ind., who died in 1878, having borne three sons, two of whom, James B. and Albert Curtis, lived to be men grown and engaged in the Rebellion. All are now deceased. In 1881 the Doctor married Almira C. Wood, a native of the State, who is an accomplished lady and a regular graduate in medicine. She was for many years a teacher, and is also a graduate of a literary college. She entered the Eclectic Medical College at Cincinnati, Ohio, September 1, 1877, and graduated in January, 1881, receiving her diploma. She is the only female medical graduate in Knox County. The Doctor is a member of the Mississippi Valley, Indiana, State, and Knox County Medical Societies, and also holds a certificate licensing him to practice in Illinois. He is a Democrat, and was a member of the City Council one year. He is a Mason of the Scottish Rite degree, and a member of the I. O. O. F.
EDWAKD BIERHAUS was born in Rhen, Prussia, city of Elberfield, August 4, 1832, and is a son of Frederick and Frederick a (Schulte) Bierhaus, who were born in the same country. They came to the United States in 1849, and located in Vincennes, Ind., where the father died the following year, and the mother in 1869. In 1853 Edward engaged in the mercantile business in Freelandsville, continuing twelve years with good success, when he returned to this city and engaged in the grain, provision and pork-packing business on rather a limited scale, and also conducted a retail grocery store in connection until 1879, when he purchased Gimbel Bros.' wholesale grocery, which he has conducted very successfully, and controls the leading trade in the city. He has continued in the pork-packing business, and now has a slaughter and packing house in the city with a capacity of 500 hogs per day. In 1853 he was married to Louise Schukman, a native of Lippe, Germany. They have these eight children: Charles, Henry, Frederick, Edward, William, John, Emma and Anna. Charles and Frederick are partners with their father in the business. Mr. Bierhaus is a Democrat in politics, and he and family are members of the German Evangelical Church. Charles Bierhaus is a native of Knox County, born February 13, 1855. He was raised in his father's store, and in boyhood attended the Vincennes public schools. In 1877 he became a partner in the business with his father, and has continued with him to the present time. In 1877 he married Helen Busse, a native of Knox County. They have two children: Ida and Helen. Charles is a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Evangelical Church.
THOMAS BORROWMAN, grain dealer, and treasurer of the Vincennes School Board, is a native of Lanarkshire, Scotland, born January 19, 1824, and a son of John and Jean (Ormiston) Borrowman. His parents were born in Scotland in 1798 and 1800, respectively. The family came to America about 1838, and settled in St. Louis, Mo., where the father died in 1849. The mother's death occurred in 1840. Instead of going to St. Louis with his parents our subject stopped in Cincinnati, and served an apprenticeship at the plumber's trade with Peter Gibson. After working for Mr. Gibson twelve years he engaged in the business for himself, which he continued ten years. In I860 he left Cincinnati and engaged in farming in Richland County, Ill., where he remained eight years. He then came to Vincennes and engaged in the grain business, and has since continued, meeting with considerable prosperity. In 1879 he became a member of the school board, acting in the capacity of treasurer. He was married in 1847 to Miss Isabella Wilson, a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, born in 1824. To them were born these children: Agnes, Jean, Archibald, John, Isabella, George, Catherine and Olla. Mr. Borrowman has been a Whig, but is now a Republican in politics. He and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church, and he is a leading citizen,
EDWARD BREIVOGEL hatter, of Vincennes, Ind., was born at Mount Carmel, Ill., September 29, 1847. His parents, John and Catherine (Bischoff) Breivogel, were born in Germany. The father came to this city in March, 1864, and followed his trade of brick-masonry and building until his death, in 1872. Edward was reared in his native city, where he acquired a very good business education, and in early life began clerking in mercantile establishments, and in 1863 came to this city and engaged as clerk for Charles Graeter two and a half years, and then with J. B. La Plante & Bro., continuing with them seven years, when he was admitted as a partner, and remained such one year. He then went to Shawneetown, Ill., and took charge of a branch store for B. Kuhn & Co., of this city. He conducted the business for them about six months, when he returned to this city, and in 1874 engaged in his present business with his brother, Julius A. They remained together until 1880, when our subject purchased his brother's interest, and has since conducted the business alone. He has an excellent stock of goods, and also has the uptown agency for the Adams Express Company. In 1873 he wedded Catherine Holland, a native of Toronto, Canada. To them have been born seven children—three sons and four daughters. He is a Democrat in politics, and he and family are members of the Catholic Church. He is a member of the C. K. of A.
JULIUS A. BREIVOGEL dealer in gents' furnishing goods at Vincennes, was born in Mount Carmel, Ill, April 11, 1852. He is a brother of Edward Breivogel, whose sketch is given above. Julius came to this city with his parents when twelve years old, and attended the high schools of this place, securing a very good education. At the age of sixteen he engaged as clerk for Charles Graeter, remaining with him four years. He then worked for J. B. La Plante & Bro. two years, and in 1874, in company with his brother Edward, engaged in the hat, cap and fur business in this city. In 1880 he sold out his interest and attended the Evansville Commercial College, from which he graduated in September of the same year. He then returned to Vincennes, and February of the next year engaged in his present work. He is unmarried, a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Catholic Church and C. K. of A.
PIEEBE BROUILLETTE a prominent farmer of Knox County, born March 15, 1820, near Vincennes, is the third of a family of five children born to Pierre and Julia (Boucher) Brouillette. The father was born in this county in 1782, and was the son. of Michael Brouillette, who came from France to Canada during the French and Indian war. He was in the battle at Braddock's defeat, soon after which he came to Vincennes, and married into the family of Bono, an early French settler. He raised a family of five children, of whom the subject was one. He was reared in this family, and served as a captain in the war of 1812. He was a very intimate and trusted friend of Geri. Harrison, for whom he carried mail to the frontier settlements, and especially to the governor of Missouri. He was also a successful farmer, and ran transfer lines to the cities of his day from Vincennes. He owned over 1,000 acres of the best land of the county, and was a stockholder of the Wabash Navigation Company and the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad Company. The subject of this sketch was born in this county, and remained with his parents until he was twenty-six years old, when he began farming where he now lives. His father gave him 170 acres of land, and he has been one of the most successful farmers of the times. He now owns 214 acres of very fine land, under good cultivation, upon which he has a fine two-story brick house in a splendid location. He was married, January 13, 1846, to Louise F. Bernard, who was born in France in 1820. They have had eight children: Julia M., Andrew H., Louis P. (deceased), J. Bernard, Maurice A., Louis F., Alphonse M. and Laurie M. The family are, as all their ancestors were, members of the Catholic Church. Before the time of the Know-nothing party Mr. Brouillette was a Whig, but since then he has been a Democrat. The children are all unmarried. Julia M. is keeping house for her brother Alphonse M. and a cousin, who are in business. Andrew H. is manager of the West Baden Springs, Orange County. J. Bernard is at home, and managing the farm. Maurice A. is traveling for agricultural implement companies, and the other two children are both at home. The children were educated mostly in Vincennes. The mother of Pierre Brouillette, St., was the first white child born in Vincennes, and the grandfather of Pierre Brouillette, Jr., along with another man, was taken prisoner by the Indians, taken by them to Mobile, Ala., and detained there eight years.
STEPHEN BURNET (deceased) was the only son of Serenus and Jane (Burnside) Burnet. His ancestral history may be traced back as far as 1660, when three Burnet brothers came from Wales to the United States, one locating in New Jersey. Our subject is a descendant of this one, his grandfather, Edmund Burnet, having been born in New Jersey on January 1, 1755. Edmund married Sarah Smith in 1780, and the third child born to this union was Serenus Burnet, who was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, November, 13, 1787, and married our subject's mother, who was of Scotch and Irish parentage, November 10, 1794. In May, 1815, Serenus Burnet moved to Cuyahoga County, Ohio, where he and his wife lived and died. The immediate subject of this sketch was reared principally in Knox County, and received such education as the schools of that day afforded. January 5, 1832, he was married to Lamira Gardner, a native of New York. To them were born eight children, these six now living: Stephen, in business in Vincennes; Lydia J., wife of Thomas Eastham; Rosina E., wife of C. M. Griffith; Charles C., in business in Cleveland, Ohio; Emily L., wife of S. B. Judah, and Mary L. Mrs. Burnet died March 12, 1856, and February 16, 1857, he was married to Laura Bently, daughter of Elder Adamson Bently, of Ohio, who bore him four children, three living: Harry B., Percy B. and Grace. This wife died October 29, 1873, and his last marriage was solemnized November 12, 1874, uniting him to Mrs. Mary (Bently) Collins, sister of Mr. Burnet's first wife. She was the mother of two children by a former marriage, viz: Eugenie M., widow of A. G. Hinman, and Julia A., wife of D. C. Fellows, Lincoln, Neb. Mr. Burnet was a farmer and fruit-grower, and was very successful in those callings. He owned a large tract of fine land, under good cultivation, adjacent to Vincennes. The farm residence is well located, and is one of the most beautiful houses in the county. Mr. Burnet was a Whig and Republican in politics, but did not take an active part in political affairs. In religion he was conservative, but was an elder in the Christian Church, and during the most of his religious life was urged to occupy the pulpit His death, which occurred February 14, 1885, took from the community one of its most valued citizens.
STEPHEN S. BURNET of Vincennes, Ind., was born near Cleveland, Ohio, April 8, 1834, and is a son of Stephen and Lamira Gardner Burnet. He came to this city with his parents in 1852 and remained here until 1858, when he went to Missouri, and was superintendent of lead mines in the southern part of the State two years. In 1862 he removed to Nashville, Term., and was engaged in furnishing sutlers' supplies to the army until 1865, when he engaged in the wholesale liquor business in Paducah, Ky., and finally returned to this city in 1868 and engaged in the tobacco box factory and planing—mill business, continuing ever since with good success. In 1856 he led to Hymen's altar Kate Nance, a native of Putnam County, Ind, Mr. Burnet is a Republican in politics, although formerly a Democrat. He was a warm admirer of Gen. Garfield, and after his nomination to the presidency he became a Republican, and has remained such to the present time. He is a member of the K. of H. and Royal Arcanum fraternities, and is recognized as a prominent business man of this city.
THOMAS EASTHAM partner of Stephen S. Burnet, was born in Nelson County, Ky., February 25, 1835, and is a son of Isaac N. and Eliza (Sweets) Eastham, natives of Kentucky. The Eastham family came to Vincennes in 1851, and for a number of years the father was United States mail carrier from Louisville to St Louis by stage coach, having in use 300 horses on the route, and later carried the mails from Cairo to New Orleans by steamboat He died in Vincennes in 1873. Thomas was raised in Kentucky. At the age of eighteen years he began carrying the mails by stage from Vincennes to Orleans, Ind., and Shawneetown, Ill., and then kept a livery stable in this city for about ten years. In 1869 he became a partner with Mr. Burnet in the present business. In 1860 he married Lydia J. Burnet, a native of Cleveland, Ohio. They have had five children, four now living: Stephen S., Kate B., Alice T. and Jesse L. Mr. Eastham is a Democrat in politics and a member of the K. of H. and Royal Arcanum. The building in which these gentlemen have their factory was erected about 1860 by Curry, Ackerly & Co. for a furniture manufactory, and was used as such until 1869, Mr. Burnet becoming a partner of Curry & Gardner, who succeeded Mr. Ackerly in his business in 1868. In 1869 Mr. Gardner withdrew from the firm, and Thomas Eastham purchased a one-half interest in the business. They conducted a planing-mill and carried a general line of lumber and building material; but in April, 1882. they began the exclusive manufacture of tobacco boxes, taking Henry Eberwine as partner the same year. October 1, 1885, he withdrew from the firm, and since that time the other two gentlemen have carried on the business very successfully alone. They manufacture about 1,000 boxes per day and send them to St Louis, Mo., where they have a ready sale. They employ about fifteen hands.
EDWARD P. BUSSE, M. D. was born in Vincennes, Ind., June 6, 1862, son of William and Sophia (Hella) Busse, and is of German lineage. His parents were born in Germany in 1829 and 1827 respectively. The father came to America when about sixteen years old, and he and the mother died in Vincennes. Edward P. obtained his education in the public schools and the high, school of Vincennes. He began the study of medicine in 1880, and that same year entered the Bellevue Hospital, New York, and remained there three years, graduating in September, 1883. He then located permanently in Vincennes, and has continued to make this his home ever since. He has practiced his profession very successfully and is also engaged in the drug business. He is one of the prominent young physicians of this city and is succeeding well in his profession. He is a member of the German Evangelical Church.
HON. HENRY S. CAUTHORN was born in Vincennes, February 23, 1828. He is the son of Gabriel T. and Susan Sullivan (Stout) Cauthorn. His father was a native of Essex County, Va., and was educated at the university of that State, graduating from the literary and medical departments. He came West in 1823, locating at Lawrenceville, Ill., where he practiced medicine until his death in 1834. The mother of Mr. Cauthorn was a daughter of Elihu Stout, who founded the Vincennes Western Sun newspaper in 1804, and continued its publication until 1845. After the death of his father Mr. Cauthorn, with his mother, resided with Mr. Stout, and soon after entered the printing office of his grandfather, where he acquired the art of a practical printer. In 1840 he entered St. Gabriel College at Vincennes, and remained a student in that school until 1845, when he matriculated at Asbury University, Greencastle, Ind., which graduated him in 1848. While a student at this institution he was distinguished as an essayist and orator, obtaining prizes in competition with many fellow-students who have since arisen to great distinction in the State. In 1851 he began the study of law at Vincennes, with Benjamin F. Thomas, at that time United States District Attorney for Indiana. He was admitted to the bar in 1853, and was the next year elected district attorney for the judicial district comprising the counties of Knox, Daviess, Pike and Martin. With the exception of the period covered by his services as clerk of the Knox Circuit Court, Mr. G. has continued ever since his call to the bar to engage in the practice of his profession. In the preparation of causes and the execution of pleadings and other papers, patience, care and exactness eminently characterize his work. As an advocate he is particularly distinguished. Always earnest, logical and serious in his manner, he possesses a luxuriant fancy which he uses often to emphasize -skillful deductions from facts. In 1855, upon the organization of the city government, he was selected as its first law officer, and as city attorney, with the mayor, Judge John Moore, framed the series of ordinances. In 1859, in a spirited contest, Mr. Cauthorn was elected clerk of the circuit court of his county, and at once began to bring order out of chaos in that office. His system of keeping files and records soon made his the model office of the State, and the order into which he soon arranged a mass of confused papers, accumulations of half a century, was the marvel of every one familiar with the change. He continued in the office of clerk for two terms of four years each, and in 1870 was elected a representative in the General Assembly of the State, and was again elected to the same position in 1872, 1878 and 1880. At the session of 1879 he was selected as speaker of the House, and discharged the duties of that office in a most creditable and acceptable manner. As a legislator, moderation and conservatism especially marked his course and regulated his conduct. He is a Jeffersonian Democrat, not alone in the partisan sense of the term, but in that perfect confidence in the ability of the people to properly regulate their most important affairs without elaborate statutes to guide and control them. His liberality and fairness to political opponents has secured him warm and deserved encomiums from his party adversaries, while his unflinching devotion to the principles of the party to which he belongs, in its days of misfortune, has made him strong in its ranks and marked by its leaders for further promotion. In 1868 Mr. Cauthorn was happily married to Margaret 0. Bayard, and is the father of seven children, six of whom are living—two sons and four daughters. He is a member of the Roman Catholic Church, and also of the organization of the C. K. of A., of which organization, in 1883, he was Supreme President for Indiana. In his social and domestic relations Mr. Cauthorn is exceptionally genial, indulgent and obliging.
OLIVER W. CADWALLADER was born March 5, 183G, and is the youngest of nine children born to the marriage of David Cadwallader and Mary Jones. The parents were natives of Wales, and in 1820 came to the United States and settled in Delaware County, Ohio, where they lived till about two or three years previous to their deaths, when they moved to Newark, Ohio. Here they died in 1855, only a month apart. The father was a Methodist Episcopal minister, and one of the prominent circuit riders. His home was in the wilderness, and was often visited by the Indians. Oliver "W. was reared on an Ohio farm, and when seventeen years old, entered the Ohio Wesleyan University, which he attended until entering the sophomore year. He made his parents' house his home until they died. He worked at the carpenters' trade during the summer seasons, and taught school several years. In 1877 he came to Knox County, Ind., where he has since taught school, and ranks among the first educators of the county. He owns 200 acres of finely-cultivated farming land, and was married in 1861 to Martha Etlark, of Cardington, Ohio. They have one child, George S., now a resident of Delaware County, Ohio. Mrs. Cadwallader died in 1875, and a year later Mr. Cadwallader was married to Elizabeth Hinchman, who died in 1878. His third marriage was to Jennie Field, of Lawrence County, Ind.. in 1880. She died in 1882, and his last marriage was to Naomi Murphy, in 1883. The present wife is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Cadwallader is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is a Republican, but liberal in his views. His son is a telegraph operator and assistant railroad agent at Delaware, Ohio; is unmarried and a graduate of the Delaware High School.
JACOB W. CASSELL a prominent business man of Vincennes, Ind., was born in Madison County, Ind., December 23, 1840, and is a son of Jacob and Eleanor (Allen) Cassell, who were natives of Tennessee. Jacob W. was reared on a farm in his native county, and secured a good literary education. He" graduated from the Commercial College of Pittsburgh, Penn., and completed the two years' course at the Northwestern Christian University at Indianapolis. In 1865 he came to Knox County, Ind., followed by his parents some six years later. The father died here December 8, 1884. In May, 1875, Mr. Cassell moved from his farm in the country to the city, and engaged in the wholesale and retail grocery business, which business he carries on at the present time. He carries a large and select stock of goods pertaining to his line of business, and controls a large share of the trade in the city and county. December 16, 1874, he wedded Miss Alice Turner, a native of Illinois, who has borne him four children: Elizabeth E., Ernest M., Louana Verna Pearl and "William C. Mr. Cassell is a Democrat in his political views, and is one of the wide-awake and enterprising business men of the city of Vincennes. "
SMILEY NEWTON CHAMBERS was born in the village of Edwardsport, Knox Co., Ind., March 18, 1845. His father's family were among the pioneers of the county; his great-grandfather, Alexander Chambers, having moved into Knox County shortly after the close of the Revolutionary war. Of his family there were a number of children who settled in Knox and adjoining counties and became useful and influential citizens, one of the sons, Joseph Chambers, filling many offices of public trust. He was a strong, pure, intelligent man, whose influence is still felt in the county. Our subject's mother was of a family as strong, physically and mentally, as that of the father, and although not so early in the county, have aided largely in its development. Her name was Rachael Keith, and the family moved from Kentucky to this State about 1820. His parents were married in 1838 and soon after settled at Edwardsport, where the father, Alexander Chambers, engaged in the milling business. This venture proved disastrous, and soon after they moved upon a farm in Widner Township, which they developed and improved, and where they died in the year 1866, leaving behind these children: Nancy A., Elliott, Lottie C., Johnson and Smiley N. They received the best education afforded by the public schools of the county. Soon after the death oŁ his parents Smiley N. entered the college at Alton, Ill., where he graduated in June, 1870. In 1863, when scarcely eighteen years of age, he volunteered his services in the One Hundred and Fifteenth Indiana Regiment for six months, and afterward in the 100 days' service in the Twenty-fifth Indiana Battery and took part in the battle of Nashville, December 15 and 16, 1864. He was discharged at Indianapolis in July, 1865, having attained the position of sergeant in the battery. Having read law one year in St. Louis, in 1871 he began the practice of that profession in Vincennes, where he has since continued, meeting with merited success. In 1872 he was candidate for the Legislature on the Republican ticket, and although defeated, received the full 'support of his party. He is a member and secretary of the board of trustees of the Vincennes University and a member of the Presbyterian Church. In 1876 he married Isadora McCord, daughter of William and Eliza (Caborn) McCord, a highly accomplished and intelligent lady. Their life has been happy and prosperous and their future promises to be exceptionally bright.
CLARENCE N. CHEEVER union ticket agent at Vincennes, Ind., is a native of the eastern part of the "Green Mountain State," born July 13, 1849, son of Nathan and Lydia Ann Cheever. The family are of English descent, and both parents were born in Vermont and still reside there. Our subject was educated in the schools of his native State, and at the age of sixteen he obtained a situation in the office of the Metropolitan Railway Company, at Boston, Mass. In 1867 he went to Burlington, Iowa, and was in the employ of the Northwestern Railway Company. He remained there two years and there had charge of the telegraph interests until 1873, when he came to Vincennes and was given the position of assistant ticket agent, which position he retained until 1880, when he was given the position he now holds. He is the agent for the Ohio & Mississippi, Evansville & Terre Haute, Indianapolis, Vincennes and the Cincinnati, Vincennes & Chicago Railways. In 1871 he was married to Ida A. Woodward, born in Vermont in 1856. They are the parents of these three children: May F., lima and Helen. Mr. Cheever is a Republican and became a member of the I. O. O. F. in 1875. For twelve years he has been identified with the railway interests of the country and is an exceedingly popular and courteous official.
HON. THOMAS R. COBB, member of the national House of Representatives, was born near the village of Springville, Ind., July 2, 1827, and is one of the children of Dickson and Merise (Shelby) Cobb, the former a native of South Carolina, born in 1798, and the latter born near Haysville, Ky., in 1800. His paternal grandfather was also a South Carolinian by birth, and the family is of Scotch-Welsh descent, their genealogy being traced back about 720 years. As early as 1813 the family of which Mr. Cobb is a representative moved from South Carolina to Ohio, and one year later settled in what is now Lawrence County, Ind. They there participated in all the hardships and inconveniences of pioneer life in the backwoods. The father of Mr. Cobb held the office of county sheriff, was one of the county's best citizens and died in 1878. The mother died at Bedford, Ind., in 1866. Thomas E. Cobb passed his youth in assisting his parents, attending school, and later teaching school and attending the State University. In 1853 he began the study of law at the State University at Bloomington, and the same year was admitted to the Lawrence County Bar. He practiced his profession at Bedford until 1867, when he moved to Vincennes, which has since been his home. Mr. Cobb is one of the leading Democrats of the State, and since manhood has figured prominently in public affairs. The following is his record in brief: In 1852 was appointed a commissioner of Indiana militia; was a member of the Indiana Legislature from 1858 to 1866; a Democratic candidate for elector in 1868; was president of the Indiana State Democratic Central Committee, in 1876; a delegate to the Democratic National Convention that nominated Tilden and Hendricks in 1876; was elected to the Forty-fifth, Forty-sixth and Forty-seventh sessions of Congress, and re-elected to the Forty-eighth and Forty-ninth sessions. Mr. Cobb has justly the reputation of being an economist, having faithfully worked for the saving of the people's money during his entire congressional career. He served on the Committee of Elections during the Forty-fifth Congress and on the Appropriation Committee during the Forty-sixth. The Forty-seventh being a Republican Congress, he was placed on the Committee of Public Lands and the session following was made chairman of that committee. During the Forty-seventh he introduced a bill forfeiting the lauds of railway corporations for non-fulfillment of contracts, thus saving to the people millions of money. In the Forty-fifth Congress he introduced a bill and caused it to be passed in the succeeding session, providing for the sale of a tract of land beginning at the Wabash River and extending to the city limits of Vincennes, thus securing to the city a most beautiful park. For many years Mr. Cobb has been in public life, and while perfection is one of the impossibilities of mortal man, his record has been sufficiently acceptable to his constituents that he has always been re-elected with an increased majority. In 1850 Miss Caroline Anderson became his wife and by him the father of five children: Orlando H., Alice, Catharine, George B. and Arthur T. Mrs. Cobb was born in Lawrence County, Ind., in 1830; a daughter of Archibald and Catharine Anderson.
ORLANDO H. COBB, attorney at law of Vincennes, Ind., is a native of Lawrence County, Ind., where he was born November 18, 1852. He is a son of Hon. Thomas R. and Caroline (Anderson) Cobb, and is of Scotch-Welsh origin. His boyhood days were spent in Bedford, Lawrence Co., Ind., where he attended the public schools, and there. laid the foundation of his present thorough education. In September, 1868, he entered the Indiana University at Bloomington, and graduated from that institution June 23,1872, and the following year graduated in the law department of the same school. In 1874 he was admitted to the Knox County bar, and that same year he formed a partnership with his father in the practice of his profession, and continued thus until 1883, when John T. Goodman was taken into partnership, and the firm is now known as Cobb, Cobb & Goodman. This is one of the ablest and most sagacious law firms of southern Indiana, as their large and extended practice indicates. Subject was married, November 11, 1874, to Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas P. and Margaret Beckes. Mrs. Cobb was born in 1853. In politics Mr. Cobb is a Democrat, and cast his first presidential vote for Horace Greeley.
JAMES H. COCHRAN, proprietor of the La Plante Hotel at Vincennes, Ind., was born in Gibson County, Ind., April 12, 1819; son of William and Elizabeth (Colvin) Cochran; natives respectively of Tennessee and Kentucky. James H. grew to manhood in his native county, and assisted his parents on the farm, but secured a limited education. His father died when he was thirteen years of age, and on him devolved the duty of assisting his mother in providing for the family. He learned the carpenter's trade, at which he worked for some time in Princeton, when his health failed him and he contemplated returning home, but was offered a position as clerk in a hotel in that city and accepted, continuing' at that work in Princeton and Evansville until he was married. He then kept hotel in Mount Carmel, Ill., fifteen months, and at the end of that period returned to Evansville and owned and managed the railroad hotel of that city a year. His wife, Mary Anderson, died about this time, and he then returned to his first employer, who had charge of a hotel in Evansville, and managed the City Hotel until his marriage to his present wife, Margaret (Mouser) Deer in 1856. He became general traveling agent for the Evansville & Terre Haute Railroad, continuing in that capacity seven years, when he conducted the old Parke Hotel in Rockville, Ind., for six years. At the end of that time he engaged in the book and stationery business in Evansville. In 1873 he again engaged in the hotel business in Montezuma, Ind., and conducted the Cochran House of that city four or five years. He again kept hotel in Rockville, and then returned to Montezuma and remained in the hotel business there until September, 1885. Since that time he has had control of the La Plante House of Vineries with the best of success, as his long and varied experience would insure. Mr.'Cochran's last marriage was blessed with eight children, four now living: Laura B. (wife of John E. Johnson), Jennie (wife of George A. Smith), John W. (clerk of the hotel), and Charley F. He also has two living children by his first marriage: Alice A. (wife of Joseph Hunt) and Morris J., attorney at law in Buena Vista, Col. Mr. Cochran is a Republican and a member of the I. O. O. F., and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
WILLIAM A. CULLOP, prosecuting attorney for the Twelfth Judicial Circuit, is a native of Busseron Township, Knox Co., Ind., born March 28, 1853, son of William and Maria J. Cullop, who were born in Smith County, Va., and Vigo County, Ind., in 1829 and 183rt respectively. The mother, whose maiden name was Patterson, died in 1874. In 1843 the Cullop family came to Indiana and located on a farm in Knox County. Here our subject spent his boyhood days. He attended the common schools of his native township, and in 1874 entered the college at Hanover, Ind., and graduated from that institution in 1878, and later became the principal of the Sandborn public schools. In 1879 he was elected to the chair of mathematics and natural science in the Vincennes University, and also began the study of law in that year. In 1880 he entered the law office of Cobb & Cobb, and there continued his studies until 1881, when he practiced for about one year, and then formed a partnership with George W. Shaw, the firm being known as Cullop & Shaw. In July, 1884, the firm admitted as a partner Clarence B. Kessinger, and since then the firm is called Cullop, Shaw & Kessinger. Politically Mr. Cullop is a thorough Democrat, and cast his first presidential vote for S. J. Tilden. In 1882 he was appointed deputy prosecuting attorney for the Twelfth Judicial Circuit, and in 1885 was appointed prosecuting attorney of that circuit. His marriage occurred in 1879 to Miss Kate S. Cobb, daughter of Hon. T. B. Cobb. They have one child, named Caroline, born September 14, 1883. For quite a number of years Mr. Cullop has taken an active part in the political affairs of the State, and is one of the prominent and rising men of southern Indiana.
NATHAN F. DALTON, wholesale and retail dealer in lumber and building goods in Vincennes, was born in Walworth County, Wis., March 15, 1845. Here he was raised, on a farm, and received a very good academic education. At the age of nineteen he left home and accepted a position as clerk in the commission business in Chicago, where, at a later period, he engaged in the lumber business. In 1877 he came to this city and followed the same occupation with T. U. Lamport as partner, remaining together until 1882, when the latter withdrew from the business. Mr. Dalton has very successfully carried on the business alone since that time. March 27, 1873, he took for his companion through life Mary R. Test, a daughter of Hon. C. H. Test, of Indianapolis. To their union these three children were born: Charles T., Elizabeth H. and Natalie F. In politics Mr. Dalton is a stanch Republican. He is a Mason, and has taken an active interest in all public and private enterprises in the city since his residence here, and was the first president of the Vincennes Board of Trade, and is at the present time president and stockholder of the Spring Lake Ice Company. He is also president of the Indiana Lumber Dealers' Association. He and wife are members of the Episcopal Church,, of which Mr. Dalton is warden. He is one of the progressive and trustworthy business men of the city, and an upright citizen.
DR. WILLIAM H. DAVENPORT is a native of Indianapolis, Ind., where he was born July 20, 1850, son of Henry and Eliza Ann (Townsend) Davenport. The family is of English descent, and the father was born in Ohio in 1822, and the mother in Maryland in 1824. The paternal grandfather, Martin Davenport, was born in Pennsylvania, and came to Indiana at a very early day, locating in Indianapolis, where our subject's father became a prominent contractor, and was given the building of the first theater. He died in that city July 22, 1851. The mother died ten years later. Subject first attended the public schools of his native city, and then spent one year at Notre Dame, at South Bend, and then two years in Bryant & Stratton's college at Indianapolis, and then a short time at the Northwestern Christian University of that city. He began the study of medicine in 1872, and attended lectures at Ann Arbor, Mich., and Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, graduating March 20, 1881. He then located in Vincennes, Ind., where he is one of the prominent and successful physicians. In 1883-84 he was secretary of the United States Board of Examining Surgeons at Vincennes. He was married, June 12, 1884, to Mrs. Ruth O'Boyle, formerly Miss Watson, born July 26, 1845. In politics the Doctor is a Republican, and cast his first vote for U. S. Grant.
COL. WILLIAM N. DENNY was born May 12, 1836, at Bruceville, Ind., the fourth of eleven children of William and Catharine (Cook) Denny. The father was born in Kentucky, in 1802, and came to Knox County, Ind., with his parents when but two years old. The grandparents, James and Catharine Denny, were early settlers of the county. The father was reared in this county, and when young joined the Presbyterian Church, and for forty years previous to his death was an elder in the church. He was a farmer and merchant, and for eight years was clerk of the circuit court; previous to that time he was justice of the peace and county commissioner. He was very energetic, and is said to have organized nine different Sunday-schools, and successfully carried them on. He will long be remembered as one of the most prominent and trustworthy men of the county. He died February 8,1862. The mother was born in central Tennessee in 1804 and is yet hale and strong, and the oldest member of the Presbyterian Church in the city of Vincennes. William N. was reared in Knox County, and secured a limited early education, but afterward attended the Vincennes University. When twenty-four years old he entered the army in Company G, Fourteenth Indiana Infantry as first lieutenant, but was transferred to the Fifty-first Indiana Volunteers, and was made captain of Company E, of which his father had been captain but resigned. He was then promoted to different ranks, and finally to the colonelcy, which he held to the close of the war. While a captain he was captured and taken to Libby prison, where he was for nearly two years, and there contracted disease which yet disables him. He made his escape by cutting a hole through a car in which he was being transferred. After his return from the war he farmed about a year, and was then appointed postmaster of Vincennes under Grant's administration, and served thirteen years, the longest term of any who have held the office. Since that time he has carried on farming, and owns eighty acres of very fine land. He was married, May 24,1866, to Ellen K. Lemen, daughter of Benjamin F. Lemen, of Salem, Ill., who was one of the early settlers of the Northwest Territory. She was born April 8, 1843, and has borne eight children, five now living, viz.: Katie E., Florene G., Gertrude L., Mary E. and Carrie C. Mr. and Mrs. Denny are members of the First Baptist Church of Vincennes, and are advocates of the temperance cause, Mrs. Denny being a very active and efficient worker. Mr. Denny is a Republican, and was deputy clerk of the county.
WILLIAM H. DeWOLF, attorney at law, was born in Fair Haven, Mass., September 30, 1832, son of John B. and Mary (Andrews) De Wolf, and of Scotch-Irish descent His parents were both born in Nova Scotia in 1801. At the time of the Edict of Nantes the family came from France to America. The father died in Massachusetts, in 1860, and the mother in 1863. Our subject was educated in his native State, and began the study of law in 1850, and two years later came to Indiana and settled in Petersburg, Pike County. In 1857 he was admitted to the Pike County bar, and continued the practice until his removal to Knox County in 1864. That same year he formed a partnership with Judge W. E. Niblack, and remained in partnership with him until 1871. Two years later he became a partner with S. N. Chambers, the firm being known as DeWolf & Chambers. He was married, in 1857, to Carrie H. Drake, a native of the " Empire State" and daughter of Henry Drake. They have three children: Clara, Edgar and Anna. In politics he is a Democrat, and one of the most prominent lawyers of the Vincennes bar. He became a Mason in 1860, and is also an I. O. O. F., made such in 1857, having been Grand Master of this order.
JAMES DICK, one of the prominent early settlers of the county, was born in Leslie, Scotland, January 26, 1806, and was of pure Scotch descent. His ancestors for many generations were natives of Scotland. He attended school in his native country, and there received a complete education. He came to America in 1832, but remained only a short time, and then returned to his native land and there remained until 1836, when he again immigrated to the United States and located in Decker Township, Knox Co., Ind., where he carried on the farming business, having learned to farm in his native land. He was a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Constitutional Convention. September 6, 1828, he was married to Miss Wilhelmina Watson, by whom he had these children: Marion, Isabella, Wilhelmina, Jemima, Christena, George, Elizabeth, William, James A., Anna, Wellington, Jemima and Emma. In 1853 he was appointed postmaster at Vincennes, under Pierce, and in 1857 was elected mayor of the city, and served one term. His death occurred November 24, 1863. He was an enterprising and eminent man and one who had many friends.
H. H. DUBOIS is a son born to the marriage of Henry Dubois and Ophelia Clark, and was born January 15, 1820, in Lawrenceville, Ill., and on the death of his mother, while he was yet quite young, he went to live with an uncle, and remained with him until fifteen years of age, when he went to Vincennes, Ind., and began learning the tinner's trade under Nicholas Smith, with whom he remained over twenty years. After a short stay in Evansville, Ind., he returned to Vincennes and opened a shop on his own responsibility, and is doing a lively business. In 1842 Mr. Dubois took for his life companion Clarissa Devine, by whom he had one child, but both soon after died, and he then wedded, in 1848, Lydia Watson, by whom he has had twelve children. Of these Sarah, William, Jessie, Kate (Wager) and two infants are deceased, and Ophelia, George, Fred, Henry, Jessie and Sarah are still living. Mr. Dubois is a distant relative of Toussaint Dubois, well known in the early history of the county, and in politics is a stanch Republican.
GERHARD H. DUESTERBERG, Sr., a prominent pioneer citizen of Vincennes, Ind., was born in the kingdom of Hanover, Prussia, November 18, 1811, son of Bernard H. and Maria Angela (Kiewit) Duesterberg, who were natives of the same place. Gerhard was reared in the old country, where he secured a good education in his native language. He learned the manufacture of spinning-wheels, and followed that occupation until 1834, when he came to the United States, and worked first in Buffalo, N. Y., Sandusky, Ohio, and then settled in Cincinnati, where he was joined by his parents, who came over in 1837, and made that city their home until their deaths. In 1837 Gerhard came to Vincennes, and worked for John Moore as a wood-turner two years, and then started a similar business for himself, which he has continued ever since, in later years engaging also in the undertaking business. By industry and close attention to business he has succeeded in acquiring a comfortable competency, and has a fairly large and remunerative business. In 1837 he was married to Caroline Beckman, a native of Germany, and all the German families of the city attended the wedding, viz.: Ferdinand Eberweyn and wife, Messrs. Collenberg and Klaus, Franz Peters and wife, Frank Spelmeier and wife, and the rest younger persons. To Mr. and Mrs. Duesterberg ten children were born, eight of whom are living: Henry B., city treasurer; John M., druggist of the city; Gerhard H., grocer of the city; Lorenz, in business with his father; Caroline, wife of John Ostendorf; Mary, wife of Henry Terher; Julia and Elizabeth. Mr. Duesterberg is a Democrat in politics. He was a member of the city council a number of terms, and was a member of the school board twelve years, city treasurer four years, and has been a member of the city board of health six years. He and family are members of the Catholic Church, and he is one of the eminent and successful business men of the city.
HENRY B. DUESTERBERG, city treasurer of Vincennes, Ind., was born in that city December 9, 1842. son of Gerhard H. and Caroline (Beckman) Duesterberg, who were born in Hanover, Germany. Subject was raised in the city with his parents, and secured a very ordinary education. At the age of fifteen he began learning the cabinet-maker's trade, which he mastered and followed until 1872, when he engaged in the undertaking and cabinetmaking business in Vincennes, with his father, and continued actively in the business until September 1883, when he took charge of the city treasurer's office, serving one term of two years, and was re-elected in May, 1885, and is now serving faithfully and efficiently in this capacity. He is a Democrat, and was elected to his office on this ticket, having been an active worker in local campaigns for some years. July 30, 1867, he chose for his life companion Elizabeth Memering, a native of Hanover, Germany. To their union eight children were born—five sons and three daughters. He and family are members of the Catholic Church, and he is a member of the St. Francis Xavier branch, No. 256, of the Catholic Knights, and is recognized as one among the enterprising and successful citizens of the town and county.
JOHN M. DUESTERBERG is a son of Gerhard H. and Caroline (Beckman) Duesterberg, and was born in Vincennes September 20, 1844. He is of German descent, and is the fourth in the family. He received a common school education at the Catholic and public schools, and in 1860 began the drug business in this city in the store of H. E. Peck, and remained with him three years, and then remained with W. J. Luck one year, and then entered the employ of J. D. Lander, also having an interest in the business. In 1875 he entered the same business for himself on Main Street, but sold out in 1880, and engaged in the dry goods and grocery business, In 1883 he returned to his old employment and began selling drugs at his present location, and has a full line of choice drugs. He was married, January 2, 1872, to Miss Lizzie Tracy, a native of Vincennes. Mrs. Duesterberg died the same year. In 1874 he wedded Miss Mary Eikoff, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, born in 1851. He is a Democrat, and in 1870 he was elected to the city council and served two years. He was chosen township trustee in 1872, and was re-elected in 1874, and again in 1876. He is a member of the Catholic Church, and a representative of one of the old families of the county.
All data on this website is © Copyright
2012 by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for
Janice Rice ©