Welcome to Genealogy Trails!

Welcome to Indiana Genealogy Trails


LAKE COUNTY INDIANA NEWSPAPER DATA
Religious News Items



Many nationalities are represented in this county, and religious services have been conducted in several languages, but so far as known the first "Welsh service" was held at East Chicago, September 3, 1905. The following is from the Globe: "Sunday afternoon the Welsh people of the city gathered at the Congregational Church to participate in a religious service conducted in their native tongue. The church was filled with the Welsh people and many of their friends. The service was unique and greatly enjoyed by all. Bismark Davis conducted the service. He was assisted by two ministers who were Welsh by birth, Rev. Jones, pastor of the Hammond Baptist Church, and Rev. Williams of the Congregational Church of Bremen." ["Reports of the Historical Secretary of the Old Settler and Historical Association of Lake Co, IN From 1906 to 1910"]



Sept. 8 (1907). The Presbyterian church building at Lowell was this day dedicated, making for Lowell four church buildings, the early Baptist church having disappeared. ["Reports of the Historical Secretary of the Old Settler and Historical Association of Lake Co, IN From 1906 to 1910"]


January 10. (1909) Dedicated to-day the German Evangelical church building, the first dedicated building for public worship in the town of Gary.
["Reports of the Historical Secretary of the Old Settler and Historical Association of Lake Co, IN From 1906 to 1910"]

An event of large interest to the Roman Catholic community took place on June 15, (1909) called the Silver Jubilee of the pastor in Crown Point, Rev. Philip Guethoff, making 25 years since his ordination. The event brought many of the Catholic clergy to Crown Point, and the celebration was well carried out.
[Source: "Reports of the Historical Secretary of the Old Settler and Historical Association of Lake Co, IN From 1906 to 1910" - Submitted by K. Torp]

A NEW DEPARTURE.
Five of the Crown Point churches and their pastors, commencing August 1st, (1909) arranged to hold their Sunday evening meetings on the public square in front of the court house. The gatherings have been large, and quiet, and orderly.
[Source: "Reports of the Historical Secretary of the Old Settler and Historical Association of Lake Co, IN From 1906 to 1910" - Submitted by K. Torp]


JEWISH MARRIAGES.
The first Jewish wedding in East Chicago, according to the Globe, took place June 14, 1891, the ceremony conducted by Rabbi Hauter, of Chicago. The second was in February,
1897, by Rabbi Moses, of Chicago. On Sunday, March 14, 1909, was celebrated the first Jewish marriage in the East Chicago synagogue by Rabbi Kraus, the pastor. The parties were
Max Adelman and Bertha Dickstein. "The ceremony was according to the orthodox Jewish rites, very impressive and beautiful." The service, it is said, was in the Hebrew language.

Many nationalities are now represented in Lake county, and many observances of marriage and burial rites occur. Northern Lake county has become quite a miniature of the strangely mixed life, of the present day, in the large and newer cities. It is a singular life to be called American.
[Source: "Reports of the Historical Secretary of the Old Settler and Historical Association of Lake Co, IN From 1906 to 1910" - Submitted by K. Torp]


Return To The Main Index for Lake County

©Genealogy Trails