Welcome to Genealogy Trails!



Ricketts, Harry
On Tuesday or Wednesday, September 8 or 9, (1908) boy life again went out by accident in Lake county. Four boys of the Hammond Washington school were digging a cave in a sand bank, and were constructing the tunnel, when the sand roof suddenly came down upon them, covering two completely, and the other two up to their shoulders. Help soon came, but one boy was dead when taken out—Harry Rickett s, 15 years of age, a promising, kindly-hearted boy, son of Mr. and Mrs. Tom Ricketts, of Hammond. The other boy, Louis Mott, also 15 years old, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Mott, was taken out unconscious, but recovered. It is said that the boys had been warned of the risk in making such excavations, but they always replied, "No danger."
[Source: "Reports of the Historical Secretary of the Old Settler and Histor ical Association of Lake Co, IN From 1906 to 1910" - Submitted by K. Torp]

Riggs, Jessie Bell (Castle)
Died, at her home in Englewood, February 13, 1893, Jessie Bell (Castle) Riggs, aged 24 years, 4 months and 24 days. Jessie Bell was born in Kansas City, Missouri, September 20, 1868. She was the only child of Mr. and Mrs. George L. Castle, of South Chicago, and wife of Howard Riggs. She came with her parents to Lowell, Indiana, when about three months old, where she resided till she was fourteen years of age, from whence she moved with her parents to South Chicago, Illinois. She was married to Howard Riggs, of Cambridge, Ohio, September 20, 1888. To this union two children were born, a daughter and a son. The son preceded its mother to the Spirit Land about two years ago. Her funeral took place from the Methodist Episcopal church, Thursday, Rev. Bird, of South Chicago, officiating, assisted by Rev. Bruce, of Lowell, where a large concourse of relatives and friends gathered to pay the last sad tribute of respect to one who was loved and held in high esteem by all who knew her. Her remains were laid in the Lowell cemetery, there to rest until the morn of resurrection, from whence she will come forth and her garments shall be white. She leaves a husband and daughter, and father and mother, and other relatives and friends to mourn her loss.

Riley, Mrs. James
The death of Mrs. James Riley, daughter of Daniel Enright of Hammond, occurred Monday at the St. Margaret Hospital in Hammond. Mrs. Riley had suffered with tuberculosis of the bone for several years. Mrs. Riley was a niece of Mrs. Ellen Callahan of this city and had recently visited in this city for several months. The funeral will be held Wednesday afternoon at the All Saints Catholic  church in Hammond. Those who will attend from this city are Mrs. Ellen Callahan, Mrs. Margaret Murphy, Mrs. Thomas Callahan and Mrs Jesse Hampton. [Greencastle Herald, Sept. 30, 1913; Sub. by Teresa Haines Rigney]

Elder ROBERTS, who lived in Hebron a few years ago is dead.  We did not hear the particulars. [Lake County Star, April 1, 1887]

Robinson, Mrs. Solon
Death of Mrs. Solon ROBINSON
Mrs. ROBINSON, who has been for nearly forty years a resident of this place, departed this life on Wednesday morning, the 28th ult., at the residence of her son-in-law, Frank S. BEDELL, after a painful illness of several months, resulting from cancer on the liver. Mrs. ROBINSON was born Nov. 16th, 1799, near Philadelphia, in which city her early life was spent.  She was married to Solon ROBINSON in Cincinnati on the 12th of May, 1828, and after a few years removed with him to Madison, Ind., subsequently to Rock Creek, in Jennings county, and in 1834 she came with her husband, an assistant, and two small children, beyond the then borers of civilization, to this extreme northwest corner of Indiana.  They journeyed hence by the slow and measured tread of oxen, camping out nights, and cooking their own meals each day.  They found here nothing but the rude wigwams of the red man; and Mrs. ROBINSON, the first and only white woman within the borders of our county, saw the first log cabin rise, watching its progress with peculiar interest, as the little kingdom which she was soon to enter as queen.  Ah! Those happy days of privation, and struggles, and hardships, when the woman of such indomitable energy and perseverance is permitted to work side by side, hand in hand with her co-worker to lay the foundation of a future home of plenty and comfort, where surround by her family, she expects glide softly down the decline of life, enjoying the reward of her faithful labors!  But alas!  In this case, a hope so cruelly blighted!
All the hardships of pioneer life were hers to encounter, and all the privations as well as all the indescribable terrors one experiences when settling among only savages.  Day after day which she spent alone in her cabin while Mr. ROBINSON was assisting in making the survey of the county, she was the recipient of the unwelcome calls of her savage neighbors.  At length an incident occurred where her fear reached a climax, and she learned afterward to correctly interpret their friendly visits.  One day as she stood ironing near the cabin window, the little boy playing on the floor and the babe asleep in its cradle, a formidable looking savage entered.  He stood with his back to the fire which burned in the rude fireplace, for some time in painful silence, contemplating the scene around him.  The little boy, with instinctive fear, had crept under the table to cling to his mother's clothes; while she, too, could hear the beatings of her own heart, so full of terror.  Still he stood, watching especially the sleeping babe.  At last he drew from his belt a long roll of flannel, from which after a slow process of unrolling, -- while fear grew to the magnitude of torture - he drew out a long, sing knife!  Next, he produced his tobacco and pipe, and clipping his tobacco into small bits with the knife, he filled his pipe, lighted it, smoked, and went away silently as he entered. Thus commenced Mrs. ROBINSON's life in this place - a life of toil and hardship, which has continued such until within the past few years, when failing health and strength necessitated a cessation of labor, and when her children has the extreme satisfaction of putting forth every effort to cheer her cheerless life.  In 1852 her desertion by her husband, leaving her with the care of her four children, at an age when a father's influence was most needed, left her worse than widowed.  Yet through the twenty remaining years of her life, in which griefs have multiplied, having buried both her sons in early manhood, she has nevertheless maintained her characteristic cheerfulness, ever closing her heart upon her own sorrows but opening it always to the wants and griefs of others.  The poor have always blessed her for her charities.  The sick have been cheered and comforted by her care and sympathy.  Sabbath schools and benevolent societies have never had their solicitations refused, and churches have shared alike in her generosity.  That "it is more blessed to give than to receive," was fully realized by her, and exemplified in all her life.  Her memory will be cherished forever in the hearts of all who knew her, while hosts will "rise up to call her blessed" in the day of final reckoning for her many acts of kindness and generosity.
She was truly a remarkable woman; possessed of a remarkable degree of efficiency and executive ability; companionable alike to old and young; always cheerful and vivacious, she was always welcomed into any circle; and never at enmity with any person in the place during all these forty years.  The fact that during her last illness she requested that a postmortem examination be made after her decease, illustrates her natural self-abnegation; -- her life of usefulness being ant an end, she gave all that remained of her to benefit science, or her friends who might hereafter be similarly afflicted.  She was fully aware for many weeks before her decease that she could not recover; and yet, though a great sufferer most of the time, her happy, cheerful nature shone out like sunbeams on all around her, leaving to her children a rich legacy of golden recollections. Beside a host of bereaved friends, a brother's wife and children, she leaves only two children to mourn her loss.  One of them, (Mrs. L. G. BEDELL,) had the satisfaction of being with her during her entire illness; while the elder sister, Mrs. J. S. STRAIT, of Minn., was called back by telegram from Jacksonville, Fla., whether she had gone to spend the winter with her father, and enjoyed the inestimable privilege of being with her beloved mother about ten days before her decease.  And when at last her two children were with her, this happy mother seemed to desire no more of earth.  She welcomed death, and her life went out sweetly, peacefully, with a sustaining faith in God.
The funeral ceremonies were conducted by Rev. J. W. GREEN, of Terre Haute, on Friday last at the M. E. Church, and largely attended by not only citizens of the town, but many from the surrounding county, who esteemed it a privilege to pay a last tribute of respect to one so richly deserving is from the entire community.  The services were deeply impressive, and many a heart wished, as this truly good woman was borne to her last resting place, that their lives might be such that when they were called to pass away, their loss would be so universally mourned. [Crown Point Register, Thursday, March 7, 1872, p. 3]

Roop, Mrs. Josephine N. - 79, of 9301 Spring St., Highland, died Thursday at the Maple Crest Nursing Home in St. John. Survivors are four sons, Lorin and Raymond of Hammond, Harry of Riverdale, Robert of Richton Park, Ill.; three daughters, Mrs. Hazel Cotton of Highland, Mrs. Louise Wilson of Steger, Mrs. Viola Brady of Chicago Heights; three brothers, Harry Whiting of Hammond, Elmer Whiting of Cedar Lake and Charles Whiting of South Bend; 30 grandchildren and 19 great-grandchildren. Services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday in Fagen Funeral Gardens, 2828 Highway Ave., Highland.  The Rev. Resel Miller will officiate.  Burial will be in Evergreen Hill Cemetery, Steger, Ill. Friends may call after 2 p.m. today. (The Times, Friday, May 14, 1965, page B8, Submitted by Karin King)

Rowins, Jennie S.
Died at Los Angeles in California, Monday night, Nov. 12, 1906, Mrs. Jennie S. Rowins, daughter of Mr. J. S. Holton, 51 years of age, born in Crown Point, June 25, 1855. The body was brought to Crown Point for burial, the casket covered with the beautiful flowers of the West.
["Reports of the Historical Secretary of the Old Settler and Historical Association of Lake Co, IN From 1906 to 1910" - Submitted by K. Torp]


©Genealogy Trails