Biographies of Lawrence County, Indiana

 

John Griffith Bair  
A member of the Montana bar throughout the period of statehood and collector of customs for the districts of Montana and Idaho, Mr. Bair is an able representative of his profession, has always enjoyed a successful practice and as a citizen has performed a useful and honorable part in his community and state.   John Griffith Bair was born December 4, 1858, at Gerrardstown in Berkeley county, in what was then Virginia, and is now West Virginia. He belongs to a family which has been in America since the early times of colonial settlement and while so far as known none of its members attained to conspicuous prominence in public life, it is also possible to assert that none were without the qualifications of honest character and excellent industry, so that they led careers quiet but worthy, and were people of usefulness in their community and highly respected by all who knew them.   The founder of the family in America was John Bair, who came from Germany about 1760, living in the colony of Pennsylvania. When the Revolutionary war came on he engaged on the side of the colonists in their struggle for independence. The parents of Mr. Bair were William and Eleanor Virginia (Griffith) Bair. The father was born at New Bloomfield, in Perry county, Pennsylvania, whence he moved into Berkeley county, Virginia, about 1855. His occupation was that of blacksmith. He was a member of the Lutheran church and his death occurred at Bedford, in Lawrence county, Indiana, in 1881. The mother, who was born in Berkeley county, Virginia, a descendant of the old family Griffiths on her father's side and that of Seiberts on her mother's side, is now living in Bedford, Indiana.   Mr. Bair, though he has always enjoyed success and has competed on even terms with his contemporaries, began life without special advantages in education, and has had to earn most of his equipment. His education was academic in character and for a number of years he was engaged in teaching school in Indiana. He fitted himself for the law while teaching and in 1889 came out to Montana and settled in the town of Choteau in what is now Teton county, where he has been engaged in the general practice of law since 1889, still having his law office in the town of Choteau. A Republican in politics since he attained his majority, and being now what is called a Taft Republican, Mr. Bair was on June 15, 1909, appointed collector of customs for the district of Montana and Idaho, this appointment coming from the president. He has been one of the most popular Federal officials in Montana, and for many years has enjoyed a large and influential acquaintance with the public and prominent men of the state. Mr. Bair was a delegate from the state of Montana to the national convention of the Republican party held in Chicago in 1908, and voted with the rest of the Montana delegation for the nomination of William H. Taft.   Mr. Bair was when a young man a member of the Methodist church and his preference is still for that denomination. In 1882 he became a member of Bedford Lodge No. 14, A. F. & A. M., at Bedford in Lawrence county, Indiana. On coming to Montana he became a charter member of Choteau Lodge No. 44, A. F. & A. M., at Choteau, Montana, and he has also in this state taken the degree of the Royal Arch, being affiliated with Chapter No. 9, R. A. M., at Great Falls. He has also attained the Knights Templar degree, being now affiliated with Black Eagle Commandery at Great Falls. He is a member of Algeria Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Helena, and in September, 1912, was elected grand master of the Masons of Montana, a position which he still holds.   On the first day of September, 1886, at Heltonville, Indiana, Mr. Bair married Miss Mary Ramsey. Her early ancestors in this country were the Ramseys and Elstons. They came from Scotland to America, some time in the eighteenth century, and since early in the nineteenth century both the Ramseys and the Elstons have lived in central Indiana. Mrs. Bair's education was attained in the common schools of Lawrence county, Indiana. Her father was Joseph Ramsey, who died in 1879, and the maiden name of her mother was Euretta Elston, who is now living with her son, T. W. Ramsey, in the state of Washington. Mr. and Mrs. Bair have no children of their own. but have in their home their nephew and adopted child, the son of Mrs. Bair's brother, Arthur Bailey Ramsey, who was born in Walla Walla, Washington, in April, 1905. [Source: "The History of Montana" by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Sub. by a Friend of Free Genealogy]

David Burton

DAVID BURTON, farmer, P. O. Peoria, was born in Virginia, September 12, 1812, removing a year later with his parents to Lawrence County, Ind., where he learned the trade of wagon-maker. At the age of twenty-seven he moved to St. Clair County, Mo., and engaged in farming. About 1850 he went to Lafayette County, and about four years conducted a wagon shop. He came to Kansas in September, 1854, located in Douglas County, and was employed at general farm work, and participated in the troubles of 1856, taking an active part with the Free-state advocates. In March, 1857, he located on his present farm in Peoria. He has 290 acres of land, and is also engaged to some extent in breeding and raising hogs. Was also from 1858 to 1860 engaged in mercantile business at this place. Mr. Burton has been Treasurer of the township for the past six years. He was married in Lawrence County, Ind., in 1833, to Mary A. Fentress, who died in 1847, leaving seven children. He was married again in St. Clair County, Mo., in September, 1858, to Martha P. Green. Mr. Burton lost a son, Charles E. in the Union cause during the war.

Leonard Crawford

LEONARD CRAWFORD was born in this township February 1, 1832, being the second of eight children of William and Melinda (Graham) Crawford. The father was a native of North Carolina, and the mother of Kentucky, and the removal to Indiana occurred about the year 1815. With but little advantage of securing an education and with time spent mainly at hard work on his father's farm, our subject passed his youth and early manhood. He was united in marriage August 24, 1854, with Elizabeth Spear, who bore him six children, of whom these are now living: Joseph L., who married Annie Jackson; William H., who married Ida Thomas; Mary E., who became the wife of Robert Ingle; Martha L. and David A. Mr. Crawford by industry, good management and good habits has now a farm of 274 acres, mostly well improved and stocked. He and wife are members of the Christian Church. He is an influential member of the Democratic party.


Thomas J Dockery

THOMAS J DOCKERY-- a son of John and Mary Dockery, was born in Lawrence County Indiana, August 28, 1845.  He was married to Miss Julia E Linder September 26, 1867.  Mrs. Dockery is a daughter of Rev. James H and Salome Linder.  They have three children: Ethel Ardella, now Mrs. George A Still; Leota Lillian and Julia Estelle.  Mr. Dockery came to Adair County {Mo} July 04, 1855.  He owns 2,400 acres of land.  He has also built and owns several of the most substantial business houses in Kirksville, including the Dockery Hotel.  Responding to Lincoln's first call for troops in 1861, he served until November 1864.  Mr. Dockery taught school and lived on a farm till 1876, when he was elected County Surveyor and moved to Kirksville.  He served eight years as Surveyor and Bridge Commissioner, superintending the building of the Chariton River bridges near Youngstown and Connelsville. For thirty years he has been engaged in real estate and abstract business.  Prominent in Republican politics both in county and state, Mr. Dockery has been a delegate in the National Republican Convention in 1900, many times a delegate to the State Convention; has served eight years as County Chairman; several terms as a City Councilman; and was twice elected Mayor of Kirksville.  He belongs to five fraternal organizations: G.A.R., Masons, Knights Templar, Elks and Odd Fellows. Contributed by Desiree Burrell Rodcay Source Info: "The History of Adair County Missouri" by E.M. Violette (1911)

FRED T. DUNIHUE
Fred T Dunihue, A career marked by earnest and indefatigable application has been that of this substantial and honored citizen of Bedford. Indiana, where he has maintained a residence for many years, during all of which time his life has been an open book and read by his fellow men. He was a valiant soldier of the Civil w ar, where his fidelity was of the type which has characterized his actions in all their relations and gained for him the confidence and esteem of the public and unbounded respect of all with whom he has been brought into contact. Fred T. Dunihue is a native of the locality in which he now lives, having been born in Bedford, Indiana, on February 26, 1847. He is the son of Alex H. and M. L. (McLane) Dunihue, the former of whom was born in Marietta, Ohio, in 1800. The subject's paternal grandfather, Daniel Dunihue, was a native of Rutland, Vermont, who, in young manhood, made a trip to Canada, and while there was forced into the English army. However, he made his escape a short time later and subsequently went to Marietta, Ohio, where he lived several years, eventually coming toBedford, Indiana, where he spent his remaining days and here died. He married Abigal Poole, of Vermont, who also is deceased. Alexander H. Dunihue in young manhood came to Indiana, locating first at Liberty, to which place he went with a stock of goods belonging to a Louisville firm. After selling this stock for his employer he came to Bedford. Indiana, and entered the employ of Samuel Irwin, one of Bedford's prominent merchants in that day. Later he became associated with his maternal grandfather, William McLane. The latter came to Bedford in 1826 and here opened a store which he conducted for a time, but in 1856 went to San Antonio, Texas. He was a wealthy man, owning large tracts of land in Texas, and he died while in that state. His wife died in Bedford. Alexander H. Dunihue and his brother-in-law, Hiram H. McLane, for a number of years were engaged in the mercantile business and eventually Robert Kelly bought Mr. McLane's interest and they ran the store together until 1870, after which the firm name became Alex H. Dunihue & Son, the son's name being William. Under this firm name the business was conducted until 1880, when the store was closed and the business discontinued. Alex H. Dunihue died in 1891, at the advanced age of eighty-five years, and his wife, who was born in 1817, died in 1888. She was a member of and an active worker in the Presbyterian church. Mr. Dunihue was a Republican in politics and took an active part in local public affairs. To Alex and Ann L. Dunihue were born the following children: Mary, who is now deceased, was the wife of Judge N. F. Malotte, of Bedford, Indiana; William M., also deceased, was a merchant and live stock dealer at Bedford and married Lizzie Hammersley; Charles H., who was a farmer at Bedford, was a veteran of the Civil war; Carrie died in 1859; Clara is the widow of William A. Gabe, who was for many years an editor in Bloomington, and she now resides in Indianapolis; Fred T., the immediate subject of this review; Hiram H., deceased, was a farmer at Bedford and never married; Jessie, who is unmarried, remains at Bedford; Henry C.-, deceased, was a farmer at Bedford and never married; Philip A., of Bedford, is a superintendent of a stone quarry and married Nellie Harrison; Lewis H., who was a telegraph operator, was killed several years ago in Oregon; Frank is deceased. Fred T. Dunihue received his education in the public schools of his home neighborhood and in September, 1864, at the age of seventeen years, he enlisted in Company C, Seventeenth Indiana Mounted Infantry, at Indianapolis and accompanied the command to Louisville, Kentucky, where they took part in the Wilson raid, which led them through Kentucky, Tennessee and as far south as Macon, Georgia, where they were when the war closed. Mr. Dunihue received an honorable discharge at Nashville, Tennessee, on June 28, 1865, and immediately returned to Bedford. Soon after his return home he was appointed deputy sheriff of Lawrence county, in which position he rendered efficient service for six years. In 1878 he was elected sheriff, serving from 1879 to 1883, and discharging the duties of this position in a manner such as won for him the commendation of all concerned. Since then he has been variously engaged about the court house in different capacities with the exception of a period when he was absent from this county. In August, 1868, he went to Des Moines, Iowa, where he engaged in the boot and shoe business for about three years, then for a year was located at Winterset, Iowa. In every phase of life's activities in which he was engaged Mr. Dunihue has ably performed all duties assigned to him and his life has been lived among the highest planes of endeavor so that he has honestly earned and retains the confidence and regard of all who know him. Mr. Dunihue was married in Jackson county, Missouri, to Sallie G. Northcraft, the daughter of William and Susan (Caldwell) Northcraft, natives of Kentucky, the mother having been born in Boyle county, that state. These parents came to Bedford, Indiana, in 1848, and here the father followed merchant tailoring and ran a clothing store until his death, which occurred in 1864, at the age of forty-five years. He was survived many years by his widow, who died at the age of seventy-six years. William Northcraft was twice married, and by his first wife had a son, William, deceased, and by his second wife seven children, namely: James, who died at the age of twenty-eight years; John, who lives in Oklahoma; Lawrence; Samuel, deceased; Joseph, of Pueblo, Colorado; Kate, the wife of John Gleissner, a druggist at Abilene, Kansas, and Sallie G., the wife of Mr. Dunihue. To Mr. and Mrs. Dunihue have been born four children, namely: Clara, the wife of W. F. Perkins, of Lafayette, Indiana, where he is superintendent for the Prudential Life Insurance Company. They have two sons, William and Robert; Kate is the wife of Dr. Harry J. Emery, a successful dentist at Dayton, Kentucky; Lawrence, a traveling salesman for the Indiana Quarry Company, and lives at Columbus, Ohio, married Sadiemae Allen; Graham, of Bedford, is a traveling salesman for the Great Northern Manufacturing Company, of Chicago, Illinois. Socially, Mr. Donahue is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic at Bedford, in which he has taken a deep interest, and where he finds many pleasant associations begun during the Civil war. Politically, he is a staunch Republican and takes much interest in public affairs, though not a seeker after public office. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church at Bedford, of which they are regular attendants. Mr. Dunihue is well known throughout Lawrence county and in the circle in which he mingles he is held in the highest regard because of his upright life and successful character.

Dr. John W Gray

Dr. John Wesley Gray is a native of Lawrence county, Indiana, born in the town of Springville on the 28th day of November, 1839. His grandfather, John Gray, a North Carolinian by birth and one of the earliest settlers of Lawrence county, was a typical pioneer of the period in which he lived, coming to Indiana Territory while the feet of the red men still pressed the soil, cut a road through the wilderness from Blue River to the Springville settlement and in due time became one of the successful farmers and leading citizens of that locality. He lived to be over a hundred years old and departed this life at Springville in 1852. His father, also John Gray, was a Revolutionary soldier and lost his life in the battle at Cowpens. The family was of Scotch origin, and of the nine sons of the Revolutionary patriot, eight settled in the Southern states, the Doctor's grandfather being the only one that came to Indiana. Ephraim Gray, the doctor's father, was a native of Lawrence county, a farmer by occupation, and a man of sterling worth. Phoebe Scott, who became his wife, hailed from the same part of the state and bore her husband a family of nine children, of whom five are living, namely: Dr. John W., of this review; Mrs. Mary Short, of Tampa, Florida; Simeon Gray, M. D., who practices his profession at Worthington, Indiana ; Jacob, a retired farmer residing in Linton ; Ephraim, whose present whereabouts are unknown, and Mrs. Maggie Moffett, whose home is in the city of Vincennes. The father of these children spent the greater part of his life in his native county, but about five or six years 'prior to his death, which occurred at the age of fifty, removed to Kansas, where he spent the remainder of his days. Mrs. Gray survived her husband a number of years, departing this life at the home of her daughter in Bloomfield at the ripe old age of seventy-six. Dr. Gray was married in the year of 1860 to Elizabeth Gainey, daughter of John P. Gainey, of Springville, Indiana, nine children resulting from the union, seven of whom are living, namely: John P., a farmer in Greene county; E. E., a practicing physician; Edmund B., employed by the Standard Oil Company in Pennsylvania ; Mrs. Kittie Brooks resides in Kansas; Carrie, who lives with her father and manages the home; William and Fred, both under the parental roof, the former an agriculturist, the latter a harness maker. Mrs. Gray, an exemplary wife and mother and a woman of high ideals and beautiful Christian character, died in the month of December, 1903. Dr. Gray has been United States pension examiner for this county during the past three years.

Alfred Guthrie

Hon. Alfred Guthrie, a prominent citizen of this county, was born in Guthrie Township, June 25, 1828, being the eldest of eight children of Daniel and Lucy A. Weddell Guthrie, the father a native of Lee County, Va. The latter when a boy, came in June, 1811, with his parents to Indiana. The mother, a native of Tennessee, also came at an early day to Indiana. Alfred passed his youth on his farmer's farm without noteworthy event, receiving in the meantime a good education for that day. On the 6th of September, 1849, he was united in marriage with Isabell A. Hubbard, and to them have been born eight children, of whom the following six are now living: Melvin T., Melvina, Lilllie, Carrie, Ella and Alfred A., the last two being yet with their parents. Mr. Guthrie is a merchant by occupation, owning and controlling, about 3.000 acres of land, besides his large double store of general merchandise at Tunnelton. He is an active Republican, and has done his party good service. He has served about two terms as County Commissioner at a period requiring good judgment, and has represented his county in the Lower House of the State Legislature, serving with satisfaction to his constituency and credit to himself. His efforts have materially contributed to the reduction of the Democratic vote of the county, and especially of his township where the majority has been transferred to the Republicans. He is comfortably situated and happy in his home. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and his wife and daughter are members of the Christian Church. *****

John D Guthrie

John D. Guthrie was born in Guthrie Township, December 11, 1831, being the third child of Daniel W. and Lucy A. Weddell Guthrie. He continued with his parents on the farm until nearly twenty-one years of age, receiving only fair education at the subscription schools. His youth and early manhood were passed without noteworthy event, and September 21, 1852, his marriage with Patsy Walters was celebrated, and to these parents the following six children were born: Salina, who married William Harris. Archibald who married Mary Boffle; Lodema, who became the wife of M. Brown. Maria, who became the wife of Volney  Rout. Martha and John D., Jr., the latter being unmarried and at home with their parents. Mr. Guthrie has followed the occupation of farming to the exclusion of other pursuits, and now owns 400 acres of well-improved and well-stocked land. He is a Republican, and himself and family are exemplary members of the Methodist Church.******

U. D Guthrie

U. D. Guthrie, a native of Guthrie Township, was born November 9, 1836, being the fifth child of Daniel and Lucy A. Weddell Guthrie, mention of whom is made elsewhere in this volume. The youth of our subject was passed like that of all boys of early settlers, without many advantages, and at hard work in the woods. His education, enough for the transaction of business, was obtained at the old subscription schools, and by application outside of school hours. When almost twenty-one years of age he was united in marriage with MELINDA Mundell, and to these parents two children were born, both of whom are now deceased. April 1, 1870, Mrs. Guthrie died, and September 30, 1870, he married Lucy O. Brooking, who has borne him five children, four of whom are living: Arthur M., Stella, Winona and U. M. In youth Mr. Guthrie secured a thorough knowledge of farm management, and has since made farming and stock-raising his occupation. He is the owner of 302 acres of land. He is a Republican, and an influential man; indeed, the Guthrie family in all its branches, combines nearly all the enterprise and intelligence of the township, which was justly named for them.

Marshall Guthrie

Marshall Guthrie was born in this township July 9, 1840, being the seventh child of Daniel W. and Lucy A. Weddell Guthrie, of whom proper mention is made elsewhere. Marshall remained with his parents until the age of twenty-four years, engaged in assisting on the farm and in attending to a limited extent the country schools. Upon reaching his majority he began to accumulate property for himself, and April 20, 1865, was married to Susan J. Cooper, who bore him one child--Oliver Morton. July 13, 1866, Mrs. Guthrie died, and February 10, 1870, Mr. Guthrie was united in marriage with Mary M. Payne, a native of Howard County, this State, who has presented him with seven children, of whom six are living: Alfred B., William H., Charles E., Michael, Gracie and Clyde. Mr. Guthrie is a farmer, with 265 acres of land, and has also followed merchandising at Tunnelton. He is a Republican, and has officiated as Township Trustee. August 10, 1862, he enlisted in Company G, Fourth Indiana Cavalry, and served until April, 1863, when he was discharged for disability. ******

WILLIAM W. LEWIS

  Was a native of the county in which he yet resides and a descendant of a pioneer family of Lawrence County, Indiana was born December 21, 1827, and is the third son and only survivor in a family of twelve children born to D. S. and A. A. (Oaks) Lewis. D. S. Lewis immigrated to Indiana Territory in 1814, first settling in Orange County, afterwards removing to Lawrence County. He represented the former county one term in the State Legislature and Lawrence County two terms, also serving about eight years as Commissioner in the latter. He was born January 29, 1798. Early espousing the cause of Christianity he united with the Christian Church, aided in the establishment of that organization in Southern Indiana, and for over fifty years was a minister of that denomination. W. W. Lewis, our subject, lived with his parents until his marriage October 8, 1849, with Rebecca, daughter of William and Polly (Thornton) Chastain, by whom he is the father of this family: Mary A., Martha J., Elizabeth, David S., William W., Charles M., Amanda E., A. S., John H., L. E., Lucretia, Isaac N. and an infant, deceased. The parents are members of the Christian Church. Mr. Lewis owns a good farm of 480 acres (Bono Township) and is a Democrat. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Thirty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served faithfully until the expiration of his term of service, when he was honorably discharged September 17, 1864******

 

WILLIAM A. MATHES.  
The career of the well remembered gentleman whose name forms the caption of this biographical memoir was a strenuous and varied one, entitling him to honorable mention among the representative citizens of his day and generation in the county with which his life was so closely identified. Although his life record has been brought to a close by the inevitable fate that awaits all mankind, his influence still pervades the lives of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances who reverence his memory. As public official, soldier or private citizen, he was always true to himself and his fellow men, and the tongue of calumny never touched him. As a soldier he proved his loyalty to the government he loved so well on the long and tiresome marches in all kinds of situations, on the tented field and amid the flame and smoke of battle, where the rattle of musketry, mingled with the terrible concussion of the bursting shell and the deep diapason of the cannon's roar, made up the sublime but awful chorus of death. To such as he the country is under a debt of gratitude which it can not repay and in centuries yet to be posterity will commemorate their chivalry in fitting eulogy and tell their deeds in story and in song. William A. Mathes, whose death occurred at his home in Bedford, Lawrence county, Indiana, on November 18, 1911, was born on December IO, 1837, in Bloomington, Monroe county, this state. He was the son of James N. and Sophia (Glover) Mathes, both of whom were also natives of Monroe county. The father was a minister in the Christian church and therefore the family were compelled to live at various places, but they were residents of Bedford, Indiana, at the time of their death. The father was a man of eminent attainments, was widely known and highly respected among his acquaintances. They were the parents of six children, namely: Jane, Jerry, Cameron, William A., Emmeline and Mary. Of these children, Cameron is living in California and Mary in Kansas City. The subject of this sketch received but a limited education in the common schools of his home neighborhood and in young manhood he learned the trade of a tinner. His career was interrupted in August, 1861, at the outbreak of the Southern rebellion when he enlisted at Bedford as a private in Company D, Eighteenth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He proved a valiant and courageous soldier, serving faithfully in defense of the national honor for twenty-two months, when, in one of the most hotly contested battles of the war, he suffered the loss of his right arm which was cut off. In consequence of his injury he received an honorable discharge and returned to Bedford. Soon afterwards he was elected recorder of Lawrence county, which position he served eight years, and during the following years he was employed in various capacities about the court house. He was a man of good judgment, alert mentality and performed efficiently every duty to which he gave his attention. Politically, he was a staunch supporter of the Republican party, while his religious membership was with the Christian church. He enjoyed a wide acquaintance throughout the county and because of his genial disposition, uniform courtesy to all who had dealings with him and his excellent personal character, he was respected and highly regarded everywhere. On the 16th of July, 1863, Mr. Mathes married Mary Mullis, a native of Lawrence county, this state, and the daughter of Robert and Polly (Pierce) Mullis, who were natives of Orange county, Indiana. The father came to Lawrence county in his young manhood and here acquired the ownership of a tract of government land which he cleared and developed into a splendid farm. He and his wife are both deceased. They were earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal church and were well known and highly respected in their community. They were the parents of six children, namely: Jacob, deceased; Eleza, deceased; William; Robert, deceased; Mary, wife of the subject of this sketch, and Abigail, deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Mathes were born six children, namely: Robert, a tinner by profession at Bedford, who married Millie Owen; William B., of Bedford,was a bridge carpenter, but was severely injured, since which time he has been an invalid; Daisy, the wife of Claude Barnes, of Chattanooga, Tennessee; Sophia is the wife of Emerson Sears, of Arizona; Elsie is the wife of Chester Ferris, of Wyoming, and they have a son, John; George is a tinner by trade and lives in Bedford. Mrs. Mathes is a lady of many kindly graces of head and heart who has by her kindliness of manner and excellent qualities endeared herself to the large circle of friends which she enjoys. She is living in her comfortable and attractive home at the corner of Twelfth and N streets. Bedford, where she enjoys the companionship of her acquaintances.

ROBERT MCINTIRE

   A farmer and stock-raiser, is now living in his native county, his birth occurring September 13, 1833. David McIntire, his father, was a native of Ireland, immigrated to the United States and married Barbara Letherman, who was a Kentuckian by birth. In 1818 they came to Indiana, Mr. McIntire serving Lawrence County one term as Commissioner, and thirteen years as Trustee of Bono Township. Robert McIntire learned blacksmithing in early years, but has turned the greater part of his time to agricultural pursuits. He is the owner of a farm containing 120 acres, and is a highly esteemed citizen and a Republican in politics. To the marriage of his parents the followings children were born: William, Robert, Elijah, John, Mary A., James, Daniel, Nancy, Elizabeth, Margaret and Martha. May 29,1861, Mr. McIntire wedded Miss Sarah Jane Norman, who was born March 1, 1843, a daughter of Joseph and Susan (Dunn) Norman, and by her is the father of one son: William H., born March, 1862.scr library of congress

 

William B  Taylor

William B. Taylor was born in Lawrence County, Ind., September 15, 1819. His parents, Joshua and Mary (Armstrong) Taylor, natives of Virginia and Kentucky respectively, came to Indiana in 1809, and settled on a farm in Washington County, where they remained for eight years, removing thence to Lawrence County. In February, 1821, they came to Morgan County, locating on a farm one mile from Martinsville. In 1834, the mother died, and ten years later the father, with is children, moved to Green Township, where he died in June, 1855. William B. Taylor is the fourth son and seventh child in a family of eleven children reared in Morgan County, and when fifteen years of age he began learning the blacksmith trade. After one year at this, he worked for the neighboring farmers until 1839. He then worked on a flat-boat between New Orleans and Martinsville for Mitchell Bros. until 1842. For some time he worked in lead mines in Wisconsin, and in August, 1845, he was married to Jane Estlinger, a native of Washington County, Ind. They have two children--Mary A. and Sarah A. His wife died in November, 1854, and one year later he was married to Caroline Hough. By this union there is one child, Lillie. After his first marriage, he farmed near Martinsville, in Washington Township, for nine years, and then sold his farm and purchased another one in Green Township. Here he farmed for thirteen years. In 1869, he began trading in stock, and at present resides in Martinsville, engaged in the same way. Mr. Taylor is an active member of the Republican party. He was County Commissioner for two years, re-elected, and served six years longer. He was Township Trustee for two years. He filled the unexpired term of office for Mr. Perham (deceased) in 1861, and was again elected in 1862 and l863, and again in 1866. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor are members of the Cumberland Church. ******

 

WILLIAM TURLEY

              A  descendant of one of the pioneer families of Indiana, was born in Lawrence County March 14, 1835, and is a son of Benjamin and Parmelia Wright Turley, who were parents of the children  Jonathan, Jasper, Sarah, Newton, William, Julia, Benjamin, Louisa, Jane, Elizabeth, Mary and Aaron. These parents were natives of Virginia, and immigrated to Lawrence County, Ind., in 1818. Here William Turley lived with his parents until of age, receiving a good common school education. Miss Eliza M. Hall, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Toliver Hall, became his wife September 17, 1857, and to them seven children have been born, named: Emma, Charley, John, Lizzie, Henry, Nellie G. and Rosa Blanche. Mr. Turley has passed the greater part of his life engaged in merchandising and farming, the former occupation engaging his attention at Rivervale for about seventeen years. At present he resides on his farm which consists of 640 acres of land. The Ohio & Mississippi Railroad Company have leased an extensive quarry owned by Mr. Turley on this place, and establishing a "crusher," annually remove about 2,000 car loads of stone. In 1864 he became a member of Company B, Forty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, being discharged June 24, 1865. In politics Mr. Turley is a Republican and belongs to the Masonic fraternity; he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.*****

 

Earl Wilson

Earl Wilson, a Representative from Indiana; born on a farm near Huron, Lawrence County, Ind., on April 18, 1906; attended the public schools and Purdue University, Lafayette, Ind.; was graduated from the Coyne Electrical School, Chicago, Ill., in 1928 and from Indiana University at Bloomington in 1931; taught high school in Dubois, White, and Decatur Counties, Ind., 1931-1938; high school principal in Jackson County, Ind., in 1939 and 1940; elected as a Republican to the Seventy-seventh and to the eight succeeding Congresses (January 3, 1941-January 3, 1959); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1958 to the Eighty-sixth Congress; elected to the Eighty-seventh and to the Eighty-eighth Congresses (January 3, 1961-January 3, 1965); unsuccessful candidate in 1964 for reelection to the Eighty-ninth Congress; Indiana State senator, 1969-1976; was a resident of Bedford, Ind., until his death there on April 27, 1990. src bio of congress

 

WILLIAM C. WINSTANDLEY
WILLIAM C. WINSTANDLEY is one of four children of John B. and Penina (Stewart) Winstandley, and was born January 28, 1841, at New Albany, Ind., where his father and grandparents settled in 1818. In boyhood he attended the public schools of his native town, and when sixteen years old came to Bedford and was employed in the old State Bank at a salary.of 8100 per year and board. In 1860 he was elected Cashier of the Bank of Salem at Salem, Ind., serving as such three years, and the succeeding year was an assistant in the office of the Provost Marshal at New Albany. In September, 1864, he returned to Bedford and was made Cashier of the " Bank of the State," and from that time until the present has been connected with all subsequent banks at Bedford as an official. Sir. Winstandley, as a citizen of Bedford, has been identified in the growth and prosperity of the town, and was a member of the first Board of School Trustees, a position he hold eleven successive years, during which time two large school buildings were erected. In politics he is a Democrat, and he and wife belong to the Christian Church. Besides occupying his present position in the Bedford Bank, he is President of the Hoosier Stone Company, Vice-President and Treasurer of the Bedford & BloomField Railroad Company and a Director in the Southwestern Overland Telephone and Telegraph'Company, the Kentucky & Indiana Bridge Company, the New Albany Steam Forge Works, the New Albany Water-works and the New Albany Banking Company. In March, 1864, Mr. Winstandley and Miss Alice M., daughter of Jesse A. Mitchell, were united in marriage, and to them two children have been born, named Jesse M. and John B.

 WILLIAM P. YOUNGER
WILLIAM P. YOUNGER, a native of Nicholas County, Ky., was born March 23, 1828, being the eldest of twelve children of Lewis and Nancy (Crose) Younger, both natives of Kentucky, who came to this county in 1832, settling whore our subject now resides. William P. remained on his father's farm until the age of eighteen rears, obtaining limited schooling, but at that age began for himself.' November 11, 1848, he married Delilah Rogers, who has borne him three children, two of whom are now living: Lucretia JĄ the wife of Caleb Cupps, and Alice, who became the wife of Jasper Kern. February 14, 1857, Mrs. Younger died, and November 22, 1857, he was united in marriage with Elvira Reed, and to this union the following issue has been born: Addison, Kitty, Minnie, Charlie, Lillie and May. May 22, 1871, his second wife died, and August 16, 1873, he married Phelissa A. (Fisher) Woody, who borne uim three children, two living: Aylett R. and J. N. Mr. Younger is successful in farming, owning 200 acres of land. They are members of the Christian Church. He is a Republican. His grand- father was a soldier in the Revolution.
JOHN YOUNGER
JOHN YOUNGER was born in Nicholas County-, Ky., July 18, 1830, being the second of twelve children of Lewis and Nancy (Crose) Younger . He remained at home with his parents on their farm during youth, securing a fair education, and at the age of eighteen years began doing for himself. October 2, 1851, he was united in marriage with Mary A. Ragsdale, and to this union the following four children were born: David A., Cora, who became the wife of Dewitt. C. Leatherman, since deceased;. William 0., who married Celestia J. Ramsey, and Benjamin. On the 25th of November, 1860, Mrs. Younger died, and November 19, 1863, Mr. Younger married Kittie E. Ramsey, who has borne him two children: Robert L. and Mary H. He owns a good farm of 160 acres, mostly well improved and stocked. He owns fine horses and jacks. He and family are members of the Christian Church, and he is a Republican and a member of the Odd Fellow fraternity. He has been Justice of the Peace for two terms, and is a prominent farmer and citizen.
MICHAEL YOUNGER
MICHAEL YOUNGER is a native of Nicholas County, Ky., and was born July 3, 1832. He is the third child of twelve born to Lewis and Nancy (Crose) Younger (see biography of W. P. Younger). Michael passed his youth at hard work on his father's farm. He did not have the advantages of the present of getting an education, and was forced to take what he could get by a limited attendance at the old subscription schools. At the age of eighteen he began work for himself. April 23, 1855, he married Mary Thorn, who bore him nine children, seven being now living: Isis, who married Levi Keithley; Andrew J., who married Clara Elston; Nannie, who became the Wife of Joel Hobbs; Elizabeth, Carrie, Cornelia and Thomas. Mr. Younger is a prosperous farmer with 160 acres of well stocked and improved land. He and family are members of the Christian Church. He is an influential Republican and a leading citizen.

 History of Lawrence, Orange, and Washington Counties, Indiana

Did you have a relative that contributed to the County Of Lawrence? Please send me a short bio and

it will be included.  Click here to  email your submissions

 

 All data on this website is © Copyright 2008- 2012 by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.