The First Jail In Lawrence County
The first jail in Lawrence county was constructed in May, 1818, and the building was both a jail and jailor's house. It was at old Palestine and was built under the bid of Thomas Beagley. It was about fifteen by seventeen feet in size and two stories high, of heavy logs one foot square, eight feet between floors, lined with heavy planks spiked on perpendicularly. In February, 1819, Thomas Beagley was paid one thousand dollars on his contract, and in August, 1819, five hundred dollars more, but then the work dropped. In 1820, on petition of twelve citizens, suit was brought upon the contractor's bond, which, after search, could not be found, and therefore proceedings were suspended. The committee appointed to value the court house also placed a valuation on the "gaol and gaoler's house," making a reduction of two hundred and thirty-seven dollars on the contract price, which was two thousand dollars. The balance due was paid and the building immediately completed. '" -- , .
The second jail was proposed ten years later, 1828, and in May of that year proposals were called for to build a jail in Bedford and in July the contract was let to Samuel D. Bishop for six hundred dollars. This house was of logs, and was paid for in installments of two hundred dollars, and finished late in 1829. It was used for many years and had it been gifted with the power of speech what a tale it could have told of life among the lowly and lawless.
The third jail of this county was the one known as the "1858 Jail." In December, 1857, the work of building a new jail and jailor's residence was commenced. Specifications were made calling for a brick jailor's house and a stone jail to be built together, and proposals were called for. During that winter the contract was awarded to John X. Miller at nine thousand nine hundred dollars, and early spring found the work being pushed forward. It became necessary to issue county bonds to the amount of four thousand three hundred dollars. The building was completed in September, 1859. This served the needs of the county until 1904, when jail bonds were floated to the amount of thirty-three thousand dollars, with which the present massive stone jail and sheriff's house were built. It is but a few blocks to the southwest of the public square.
Sheriff's of Lawrence County, Indiana
Joseph Glover, 1818; Moses Fell, 1882; Joseph Glover, 1826; Robert Mitchell, 1828; Joseph Glover, 1831; Isaac Fish, 1835; Lucian Q. Hoggatt,1841; Felix L. Raymond, 1843; Andrew Gelwick, 1847; Jesse K ,1851; William W. Cook, 1852; Thomas S. Enochs, 1852; Dixon Cobb, 1855; E. S. Thompson, 1856; J. R. Glover, 1858; Joseph Tincher, 1862; William Daggy, 1864; V. V. Williams, 1868; Isaac Newkirk, 1872; M. A. Burton, 1876; F. T. Dunihue, 1878; J. M. McDowell, 1882; William Day, 1886; William Day, 1888; R. W. Day, 1890; George W. Holmes, 1892; George W. Holmes, 1894; E. R. Dobbins, 1896; E. R. Dobbins, 1898; James F. Smith, 1900; James F. Smith, 1902; Thomas W. Box, 1904; Thomas W. Box, 1906; James L. Gyger, 1908; William H. Sitler, 1910; William H. Sitler, 1912.
Scattered over the county are several towns, or rather, sites of towns, which stand as lonely monuments to villages once flourishing, but abandoned to decay on account of some climatic or commercial reason.
Liberty, four miles and a half southwest of Bedford, is one of these. This village was platted in 1829. and several small buildings immediately sprang up. John S. Daughton. Frank Tilly. Alexander H. Dunihue were among the early merchants. The health conditions finally became so bad that residence there was dangerous, and accordingly the town was abandoned.
Woodville. laid out December 10. 1849, by Edwin Wood, was located on the Louisville, New Albany & Chicago railroad. The proprietor of the town manufactured lumber.
Redding was laid out by Robert Porter and John R. Nugent. on August 25. 1842. and was situated on the southwest quarter of section 15. This town has passed into history.
Juliet, also, has been relegated to the ages. This village was opened in 1850 on the southwest corner of section n. During the first years, the town was the terminus of the Louisville. New Albany & Chicago railroad, and consequently became a trade center. The completion of the road to the north ruined the town, however, and early death was its fate.
John Lowrey, 1818; John Brown, 1829; Robert Mitchell, 1832; Gustavus Clark, 1845; George A. Thornton, 1852; David Harrison, 1860; John Riley, 1864; John M. Stalker, 1872; Robert H. Carlton, 1880; Thomas V. Thornton, 1884; Thomas V. Thornton, 1888; Isaac H. Crim, 1892 ; Isaac H. Crim, 1896; Boone Leonard, 1900; Boone Leonard, 1904; Elbert J. Stalker, 1908; Fred E. Jackson, 1912.
Before 1841, the clerk was ex-officio auditor. John Peters, 1841; James A. Fender, 1855; John M. Harson, 1859; Andrew Gelwick, 1863; Charles T. Woolfolk, 1867; J. E. Dean, 1874; Isaac H. Crim, 1878; Isaac H. Crim, 1882; J. R. Overman, 1886; J. B. Mallott, 1890; J. B. Mallott, 1894; John M. Gainey, 1898; Walter G. Owens, 1902; Walter G. Owens, 1906; Ezra W. Edwards, 1910.
Ambrose Carlton, Thomas Beazley and James Stotts, March, 1818; James Fulton, 1819, vice Carlton; Richard Williams, 1819. vice Fulton; James Wagoner, 1820, vice Stotts; James S. Mitchell, 1820, vice Wagoner; Benjamin Blackwell, 1821, vice Beazley; Winthrop Foote, 1821. vice Black- well; William McLain, 1821, vice Williams; Moses Lee, 1822, vice McLain; John R. Crooke. 1823, vice Mitchell: John D. Laughlin, 1823. vice Foote; John Brown. 1824, vice Crooke; Winthrop Foote, 1824, vice Laughlin. In September, 1824. the justices of the peace took the place of the county commissioners in the transaction of county business, but .were replaced by the following commissioners in September, 1831: Samuel F. Irwin, Absalom Fields, John Newland, 1831; Hugh Hamer, 1833, vice Fields; Joseph Rawlins, 1834, vice Irwin; Vinson Williams. 1835, vice Rawlins; Thomas Lemon and William Fish, 1836, vice Williams and Newland; William Johnson, 1838. vice Lemon; Felix G. Rawlins, 1839. vice Hamer; Vinson R. Williams, 1840, vice Fish: Thomas Dixon, 1841, vice Johnson: Ephraim Brock. 1842, vice Rawlins; Vinson Williams, 1843; Thomas Dixon. 1844; Ephraim Brock, 1845; Vinson Williams, 1846; Thomas Dixon. 1847; David S. Lewis, 1848, vice Brock: Abraham Kern, 1849, vice Williams; Thomas Dixon, 1850; John Rains, 1851, vice Lewis; David McIntire. 1852, vice Kern; Thomas
All data on this website is © Copyright 2011 by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.