Baker Township, Morgan County Indiana
TRANSCRIBED FROM THE BOOK COUNTIES OF MORGAN, MONROE & BROWN,
INDIANA. HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL 1884


I. C. BAKER is a native of Kentucky, was born June 10, 1828, and is the eldest of the family of James H. and Nancy (Kemper) Baker, natives of Kentucky, and of English and German descent, respectively, who removed to Morgan County, Ind., and located in Baker Township until 1839, when they moved to Monroe County and occupied land entered by Mr. Baker previously.  In 1847, they moved to a farm near Martinsville, then to Paragon about 1855, and finally to Gosport about 1865, where Mr. Baker died.  I. C. Baker remained on the home far until he was nineteen years old, when he left to learn cabinet making.  He worked by day and studied by night, thereby making up for neglect of education in boyhood.  After finishing this trade, he worked as a journeyman, often until 10 o'clock at night,  until 1853, being considered a master workman.  July 1, 1852, he married Cinderella, daughter of Isaac and Lodicea (Maskel) Rogers, which union gave issue to nine children, of whom five remain - Salem A., Charles F., Jesse B. (now Mrs. Pierson), Maggie B. and Anna L.  August 15, 1862, Mr. Baker enlisted in Company H, Seventy ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland.  In 1862, during a grand review, he became exhausted, from which effect he has never recovered; he also suffered from blindness following impure vaccination, and was discharged August 11, 1863. Since returning home, being unable to do hard labor, he has followed wagon making.  Mr. and Mrs. Baker are members of the Christian Church.

E. B. BUSKIRK is a native of this township, was born September 30, 1859, and is the eldest of the seven children comprising the family of Bennet Van and Arvy (Smith) Buskirk, the former a native of this township, born in the same house as our subject, the latter of Georgia.  E. B. Buskirk was brought up a farmer, and received some education from  the common schools, which he attended by times until sixteen years old.  In 1876, he went to Texas, and engaged in buffalo hunting and herding cattle for about two years, and later followed the same line in Nebraska.  In the winter of 1880-81, he took a departure for Wyoming Territory, and worked on a ranch near Cheyenne, and engaged in herding on the Platte River until the year 1883, at which period he returned to his father's home in this township.  In politics, he is a Republican.

WILLIAM H. FARR, enterprising young farmer and stock raiser, is a native of this township, was born March 23, 1861, and is the youngest of the twelve children of Jefferson and Sarah (Miller) Farr, natives of Kentucky and of English extraction. William H. passed his youth, between attendance at school and assisting at farming; he remained with his parents until August 31, 1879, when he married Mary J., daughter of Presley and Louisa (Hodges) Johnson, and to this union were bestowed two children, Elmer Edgar (deceased) and Roscoe.  Mr. Farr is the owner of 160 acres of highly cultivated land, with much necessary stock and implements, also a comfortable dwelling house, barns and the like.  Mr. Farr is a liberal and esteemed citizen, a Republican and a member of the Baptist, while his wife united to the Christian Church.

JONATHAN H. HENRY, stock raiser and farmer, was born August 3, 1831, in  Clark County, Ohio, and is the fifth of the nine children of Hamilton and Rebecca (Dalrymple) Henry, natives respectively of Kentucky and South Carolina.  Jonathan was reared on a farm, and attended two terms of select school in Fayette County, Ohio.  His father died in 1842, whereupon he assisted is mother, and also taught during the winter.  December 3, 1857, he married Miss Anna, daughter of Elder James and Ellen (Rider) Simpson, of England, who emigrated to this country and purchased land in Ohio, where they died; Mr. Simpson was a Baptist minister. Three children followed this union, John C. (deceased), James H. and Ella N.; they have also one by adoption, Juniata.  After his marriage, Mr. Henry taught two terms of school;  then took charge of a Christian Church in Harrison, Ohio, for two years;  thence he moved to Martinsville, Ind., in 1863, where he had a church;  thence to Gosport, in charge of a church for six years, and also for a time in business.  In 1875, he moved to where his home now is, but was some time in Martinsville, and acted as Deputy Treasurer, and as Trustee two years.  He has a fair farm of 120 acres, with good buildings, stocking and various improvements.  In addition to preaching, he served as County Examiner two years.  In 1879, he was elected Trustee of Gosport, and afterward as a member of the School Board.  Mr. Henry is a member of the Masonic fraternity, a Republican and a highly regarded citizen.

DR. WILLIAM N. HODGES was born on the section on which he now lives October 22, 1836, and is the fourth of the twelve children of John and Lucy (Newlin) Hodges, the former a native of Indiana, born 1810.  The  grandfather of our subject, Thomas Hodges, emigrated to Washington County, Ind., about 1808, and his great grandfather was a soldier of
the Revolutionary war.  John Hodges came to this county in 1830, and died in this township September 7, 1856;  he was a pioneer, and owned about 1,000 acres, most of which was improved.  Dr. Hodges was reared on a farm.  After studying medicine, and graduating from the Cincinnati Medical School, he located at Edwardsport, Ind., in 1866, as a
practitioner, after which he traveled extensively until 1871, when he returned home and engaged in farming.  October 1, 1871, he married Mary A. Baker, which union produced five children, Louisa A., John L., Joseph H., Lucy and Rachel C.  Dr. Hodges' farm is well stocked, cultivated, improved and appointed, and embraces 300 acres.  In August, 1862, he
enlisted in Company H, Seventy ninth Indiana Volunteers, and served in most of the battles of the Southwest.  He was discharged June 7, 1865.  Dr. Hodges is a Freemason, a Republican, and has served as Justice of the Peace and County Coroner.  He and wife are members of the Christian Church.

JOHN P. HYNDS, stock raiser and farmer, was born June 10, 1854, in Jefferson Township, Morgan County, and is the youngest of the eight children of William and Susanna (Landford) Hynds.  He was reared on a farm, and remained until manhood.  June 10, 1874, he married Nancy C. Hodges, of this county, a union which produced four children Emma,
Susanna E. (deceased), William T. (deceased), and Lilly B.  Mr. Hynds is the possessor of 127 acres, eighty seven acres of which lie on White River bottom, and all of which is in good improvement;  the additions are a fine residence, with barns, outhouses and the like.  Mr. Hynds has succeeded well in life, notwithstanding may losses;  having lost  at times his house and barns, valued at $1,500.  He is an active  Republican, and has served one term as Assessor.  He and wife are  consistent and esteemed members of the Baptist Church, as well as liberal and benevolent neighbors and friends.

PRESLEY JOHNSON, stock raiser and farmer, was born August 15, 1835, in Monroe County, Ind., and is the fourth of the family of Joab and Elizabeth (Smith) Johnson, natives of Tennessee, who emigrated to this State in 1832, settled in Monroe County and entered and improved 240 acres, and where Mr. Johnson died October 12, 1846.  After the death of his father, our subject labored on the home farm, as a consequence of which his educational advantages were spare.  January 20, 1859, he married Miss Louisa, daughter of John and Lucy (Newton) Hodges, to which union were bestowed two children, Mary Jane and Jarvis J.  Mr. Johnson was elected Trustee of this township for two terms of two years each.  He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and in politics is a Democrat.  In 1867, he settled near where he now resides on a proprietary farm of 256 acres, well cultivated, improved, and stocked with short-horn cattle.  He is now mainly engaged in raising stock, and is comfortably situated, having given to his children and sold about 200 acres.  Mr. Johnson is an enterprising
and esteemed citizen, and, with his wife, a member of the Christian Church.

ISAAC LAFAVER was born in Virginia in 1801.  He is the third of the eight children of Abraham and Mary (Brock) Lafaver, natives of Virginia, the former of French and the latter of Dutch descent.  Isaac was reared on a farm.  His parents moved to Wayne County, Ky., about 1806, where he attended the primitive schools of that time.  About the year 1816, his parents moved to this State and settled in Washington County, where they entered 300, and cleared 100 acres thereof.  About 1823, they came to this county, entered land in this township, where Abraham Lafaver died in 1840.  October 23, 1823, Isaac married Mary, daughter of Michael Cooper, a soldier of the Revolution.  To this union were born nine children, John, Jacob, James, Isaac, Mary, Louisa, Nancy, Lovina and Abraham (deceased).  In 1824, our subject came to this county, entered eighty acres on White River bottoms, and forty where he now resides.  To this, he has added 100 acres, since purchased.  This land is well stocked, cultivated and improved, with good orchards.  In 1826, Mr. Lafaver moved to this township.  He has been a worthily successful man;  has served nine years as Justice of the Peace, and is a Democrat, having given his first vote for Gen. Jackson.  He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as was his wife, who died in 1880, aged seventy five years.

JAMES LEMON is a native of Johnson County, Ind., was born February 6, 1847, and is the second of the five children of William P. and Lucinda Lemon, natives respectively of Kentucky and Indiana, and of Dutch and English descent.  James moved to Gosport with his parents in 1860, but returned to Johnson County in 1871, and worked at carpentering and farming.  October 5, 1873, he married Miss Cynthia, daughter of Malachi and Sarah Collier, by which union they had three children, William E., Ira Francis and Thomas J.  After marriage, Mr. Lemon moved to this county, and purchased twenty acres, in good cultivation, and with good dwelling and some improvements.  July 17, 1863, he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Fifteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, which regiment joined the Army of Cumberland.  He was discharged March, 1864, and re-enlisted  January, 1865, in Company C, One Hundred and Forty ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry;  was  stationed at Nashville and Decatur, and finally discharged November, 1865.  Mr. Lemon is a Democrat, and a much respected citizen.  Mrs. Lemon is a member of the Baptist Church.

JOHN WESLEY LEONARD, stock raiser and farmer, was born September 26, 1850, in Fayetteville, Ind., and is the youngest chid of Isaac and Lucy (Culver) Leonard, respectively of German and French descent.  Mrs. Leonard had been previously married to Mr. John Dunning, and was mother of two children.  Our subject was reared on a farm, his parents having moved to Owen County, Ind., when he was one year of  age, where they purchased a farm and resided about six years;  this they sold and removed to near Spencer, where they remained until the spring of 1865;  this land they likewise sold, and removed to near Martinsville, where John resided until May 27, 1874, when he married Eliza M., daughter of James and Eleanor (Peter) Maxwell, natives of Indiana. The fruits of this union were two children Nora M. and Minnie Iolia.  Mr. Leonard has a farm of 102 acres, containing a good dwelling, barns and other buildings, and which is well cultivated, stocked and improved, the whole a result of successful farming and  judicious management.  Mr. Leonard has been twice elected Justice of the Peace, and is now serving as Trustee.  He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and an active Democrat.

BARBARA A. MARTIN is a native of North Carolina, and was born December 24, 1828.  Her parents (John W. and Mary A. Warren Miller) emigrated to Morgan County, Ind., where, January 28, 1849, she was united in marriage to Dr. Isaac Martin, a native of Monroe County, who died about 1873, having been the father of nine children, four of whom are living, William A., John M., Mary S. (Mrs. Russell) and James L.  The parents of Dr. Martin were early settlers of Monroe County, and had traded considerably with the Indians.

JOHN MCDANIEL was born January, 1834, in Pulaski County, Ky., and is the fifth of the nine children of John and Unia Elizabeth (Littlejohn) McDaniel, natives of Kentucky, and of Scotch and Irish descent.  John, our subject, was reared to the plow, and in 1852 came to this county, lived with an uncle and worked by the month for several years.  About 1858, he lived in Missouri and Kansas, and afterward was employed to drive a cattle team across the plains.  From Salt Lake he assisted in driving one thousand head of cattle to California, where he engaged in farming by the month, but soon afterward returned to his present location.  April 1, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Thirty third Indiana Volunteer Infantry, the regiment marching immediately to  join the Army of the Cumberland, which took part at the battles of Franklin, Cumberland Gap, the Atlanta campaign and the march through Georgia.  While in the hospital, his regiment was captured, by the enemy, and he was thereafter assigned to the heavy artillery, in which he remained for ten months, and was discharged April, 1865.  January 11, 1866, he married Mary A., daughter of James and Ellen Martin, which union was cemented by six children, James H., William Franklin, John E., Clinton H., Kelle B. and Ella J.  Mr. McDaniel is owner of eighty acres, being a good farm and comfortable home. He is a member of the G. A. R., and of the Baptist Church, also an active Republican.

MARY A. MILLER, one of the oldest settlers of Morgan county, was born in North Carolina, January, 1800, a daughter of Robert and Catherine (Troutman) Warren, also natives of North Carolina.  Our subject married to John W. Miller, a wagon maker, who afterward abandoned this trade and became a farmer.  Their union was made happy by eleven children, Robert A. (who perished in the late war), John M., Catherine E. (Mrs. Maxley), Barbara A. (Mrs. Martin), Susan (deceased), Betsy L. (deceased), Henry W. (died in the late war), Mary A. (Mrs. Harvey), Peter C.,  Zelny (deceased), and Eliza A. (Mrs. Hickson).  Mr. and Mrs. Miller moved to Morgan County about 47 years ago and purchased land on White River bottoms, but afterward moved to the hills.  Mr. Miller was about one year older than she, and died about 1869, having cleared a good farm.  Mrs. Miller owns 220 acres of good land, with a comfortable house and productive orchard.  Mr. Miller was a member of the Baptist Church, as has been Mrs. Miller for nearly fifty years.

SARAH C. REGESTER is a native of Monroe County, Ohio, was born December 30, 1843, and is the fifth of the seven children of Thomas and Catherine (Lewis) Gray, natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Virginia, and both of English extraction.  The father of our subject was a Quaker, and shortly subsequent to his marriage, moved to Harrisville, Ohio, where he labored as a tanner, and a few years later purchased a farm in Harrison County, whither he moved, and on which he resided for about fifteen years. While there a reward of $2,000 was offered for his and one of his neighbor's heads, in consequence of advocating the anti-slavery movement.  He was counseled to remain on this side of the slavery line, but, being a man of strong determination, gave no heed  thereto, remaking that, were he slain, a thousand would rise in his place.  And so he removed to Jay County, Ind., about 1858, where he purchased a farm, remaining until his departure for Iowa, where he and his wife are now living with a daughter.  Mrs. Sarah Regester has been twice married, first to John Sumption, with a gift of three children, Mary E. (Mrs. Robbins), Eva I. and Mercy Ann (Mrs. Rice).  Mr. Sumption died December 21,1865.  Her second marriage, November 11, 1869, was to Robert Regester, with an issue of one child, John F.  When alive, Mr. Regester was in the  hotel business in Jay  County, and died September 16, 1881.  In 1882, with her two
children, she removed to Morgan County and purchased 76 acres, for the purpose of cultivating fruit and having a congenial home.  She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

JOHN H. THOMAS was born in Spencer, Ind., December 13, 1840, and is the  seventh of the thirteen children of Alvin and Jane (Christison) Thomas, natives of Kentucky, and of Irish descent.  John H. Thomas was bred to the farming profession, but received little education, inasmuch as his father died when he was eleven years old, and his services were required to assist the family.  July 6, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Twenty first Regiment Indiana Volunteers, in which he was engaged at Baton Rouge, where he was wounded in the left thigh, and at the siege of Port Hudson.  In consequence of his wound he was discharged June, 1864.  December 5, 1869, he married N. Frances, daughter of James M. and Elizabeth Campbell, which union was followed by seven children, Nettie, James Madison, Cynthia, Mary, Bessie, John A. and Jane.  Mr. Thomas is the proprietor of 102 acres of good farming land, which is well stocked, cultivated and improved, and containing a good dwelling house.  He is a strong Republican in political faith, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

E. M. WAMPLER, farmer and stock raiser, was born August 26, 1853, in Monroe County, Ind., and is the sixth of the ten children of Andrew and Margaret (Cowden) Wampler, natives of Virginia, and of German descent.  Our subject was reared a farmer, yet received some education from the public schools.  When of age, he went to McLean County, Ill., and thence to Daviess County, Ind., where he remained fifteen months,
and then returned to Monroe County to engage in farming.  April 12, 1877, he married Mollie, daughter of Madison and Elizabeth Huston.  To this union were born four children, Homer M., Lora Estella, James C. and Maud E.   Since his marriage, Mr. Wampler has farmed in this county, first on rented land, and moved to his present place in 1881; this comprises 256 acres, all in good cultivation and improvement, with valuable stock  and a fine orchard.  Mr. Wampler is a promising young man and a Democrat in political views.

ABRAHAM WEAVER, stock raiser and farmer, is a native of this township, was born November 21, 1830, and is the fourth of the five children born to John and Elizabeth (Davis) Weaver, natives of Wythe County, Va., and of German and English descent respectively, who came to Indiana in 1830 and entered land in Monroe County.  Abraham was reared on a farm, attended school but a short time, working closely for his father.  November 5, 1857, he married Mary Jane, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Languell, a union which was followed by four children, Cyrus, John T., Henry Washington Halleck and George McClelland.  Mrs. Weaver died September 13, 1865, and December 12, 1866, he wedded Nancy S., daughter of David and Eliza (McCown) Allen.  To this union were born three children, James S., Daniel Vorhees (deceased) and Albert Homer.  Mr. Weaver has taken two degrees in Masonry.  He has 400 acres of excellent land, which is under fine cultivation and well stocked;  also improved by a comfortable residence.  Mr. Weaver has been generally successful, having lost $6,000 by misplaced confidence.  In politics, he is a Democrat.

HENRY W. H. WEAVER, an enterprising young farmer and stock raiser, is a native of this township, was born September 8, 1862, and is the third of the seven children of Abe and Mary A. (Languell) Weaver, natives respectively of Virginia and Indiana, and both of Dutch descent.  Henry was bred to the independent profession of agriculture, and obtained the rudiments of an education at the public schools.  November 13, 1881, he married Miss Matilda, daughter of Stephen and Ellen (Leller) Bolin, natives of the State of Indiana. Mr. Weaver is the owner of forty acres of timber land in Monroe County.  He is a much- esteemed gentleman, a Democrat in political classification, and a promising farmer.

JOHN C. WILSON, farmer, is a native of Owen County, Ind., was born January 24, 1841, and is the second of the four children of Thomas and Orphy Wilson, natives respectively of Kentucky and North Carolina, and of German and Irish extraction. John C. labored on the home farm during summer, and attended subscription school during winter.  His father was one of the early settlers of Monroe County, who there entered land, and afterward moved to Owen County, where he entered 300 acres near Gosport, and where he died May 24,1883, aged eighty six years.  He had also entered about 1,000 acres in Jasper County, Ill., which he bestowed among his children.  May, 1861, our subject married Catherine, daughter of Jefferson and Sarah Farr, a union cemented by seven children, five of whom are living, Albert J., Frances (Mrs. Hodges), Joseph P., Thomas O., and John Otto.  During the war, Mr. Wilson enlisted in Company F, Twenty ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served until July, 1865, when he returned to his home farm and remained until October, 1879, when he removed to his present abode.  Mrs. Wilson died January, 1880, and on September 13 he married Mrs. Guy. Mr. Wilson owns 365 acres of fruitful land, on which has been found a vein of gold,  yielding $300 to the ton, becoming richer as descent is made.  His farm is well improved, cultivated and valuable, bearing some of the largest poplar and tulip trees in the State, one so large as to admit of a vehicle, horse and driver when hollowed out.  He and wife are members of the Christian Church.



Return To The Main Morgan County Page

Return To The Morgan County Bio Index Page