"COUNTIES OF MORGAN, MONROE & BROWN, INDIANA.  HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL."

CHARLES BLANCHARD, EDITOR.  CHICAGO:  F. A. BATTEY & CO. PUBLISHERS. 
1884.
F. A. BATTEY.  F. W. TEPPLE


CLAY TOWNSHIP, MORGAN CO., INDIANA


WILLIAM BLACK, J.P., Brooklyn, is the second of four children of Samuel J. and Mary J. (Lewis) Black, and born in Mooresville, Morgan County, on February 29, 1836.  Samuel J., the father, was born in Erie County, Penn., on June 16, 1812, and came to Indiana in 1824, settling near Indianapolis, but coming soon to Mooresville, Morgan County.  On October 17, 1833, he married Mary J. Lewis.  He died on March 19, 1851;  his wife, September 5,1855.  Our subject was reared upon a farm, and received but a limited education.  In 1848, he went to Iowa with an uncle, sojourning in that State ten years, when he returned to Indiana in October, 1859.  On July 6, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Twenty first Indiana Infantry, served until December 16, 1863, when he "veteranized: and continued in the service until the close of the war.  On the organization of his company he was made Corporal, but
was promoted to First Sergeant before his discharge.  He participated in the battle of Baton Rouge, sieges of Port Hudson, Fort Morgan, Fort Spanish and Fort Blakely.  At the time of his discharge, January 22, 1866, he had contracted a disability from which he will probably never recover.  While at home on a furlough, he was married, on December 7, 1865, to Sarah Steele, a native of Morgan County.  Mrs. Black's father was in the Mexican war, and died in that service.  To Mr. and Mrs. Black have been born four children. Both are members of the Christian Church, as is also their eldest daughter. Mr. Black is a member of the I. O. O. F., and a stanch Republican.  He held the office of Trustee of Clay Township from 1872 to 1874.  He is at present a Justice of the Peace of this township.  By trade he is a carpenter.

W. C. GREESON, harness-maker, Brooklyn, is the youngest of fourteen children born to John and Barbara (Spoon) Greeson, natives of North Carolina, and respectively of German and English extraction.  The parents emigrated from their native State to Indiana in about 1840, coming to Mooresville, Morgan County, and there lived until their death, respectively in 1851 and 1852, both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  W. C. Greeson was born in Mooresville November 18, 1844, and grew to manhood upon a farm, receiving a common school education.  At about eighteen years of age, Mr. Greeson enlisted in Company E, Twelfth Indiana Infantry, and served three years.  He was promoted to Corporal in 1863.  He took part in battle of Richmond, Ky. He was here captured August 27, 1862;  was paroled on the 30th, and in November was exchanged.  He was sent from Indianapolis to Cairo., Ill., and thence to Memphis, and finally to winter quarters at Tallahassee Bottoms. In the spring the regiment went to Vicksburg, and there took part in that severely contested engagement.  In September, after the evacuation of the city, they went to Memphis, Tenn.  Corp. Greeson was also engaged in the battles of Jackson, Miss., Missionary Ridge, Resaca, Dallas, New Hope Church, Kenesaw Mountain, Nickajack Creek, Atlanta, Jonesboro, Savannah, Griswoldville, Columbia, S.C., Bentonville and Raleigh, N.C., and in
Sherman's "march to the sea."  Through exposure, our soldier subject became afflicted with chronic diarrhea, and also received a severe wound with an ax in his left leg at Vicksburg.  He was discharged June 20, 1865.  He was married November 9, 1865, to Mary A. Peek, a native of this township, and a member of the Christian Church.  Mr. Greeson is a Mason;  was Junior Warden for three and Senior Warden for two years, and was also Trustee of Clay Township for five years, and is a Republican.  Mr. Greeson owns ninety three
acres of land, well improved, six lots, two dwellings, and a shop in Brooklyn.  In 1876, Mr. Greeson left his farm and came to Brooklyn, where he is engaged in harness making, and has since been doing a good business.

BARNARD B. BUSH, of the firm of Bush & Brother, dealers in general merchandise, was born in Orange County, N.Y., on September 18, 1856, and is a son of George B. and Mary (Lyon) Bush, having been the second of their four children.  The firm of Bush & Brother does a thriving business, is carrying a stock of $3,000, and trading annually to the amount of $10,000 at Centerton, Ind.  Barnard B. was reared on a farm, and attended the public schools a sufficient length of time to enable him to teach.  Mr. Bush, Sr., and his wife came to Indianapolis from New York, and from there moved to Centerton.  On the breaking out of the war, he went into the service, but never returned to his home.  Barnard B. began life for himself at nineteen years of age, at farming, and continued in that pursuit until 1880, when he engaged in the mercantile business, and ever since has been doing a thriving trade in that line at Centerton.  Mr. Bush was married, on September 30, 1878, to Emma Ferguson, a native of Morgan County, Ind., and by her he has had two children, May, born May 2, 1880, and Lee, born September 23, 1883. Mrs. Bush is a consistent member of the Christian Church, Mr. Bush is a Republican and holds the office of Trustee of the township, being now in his second term.  After his first election, he made a special levy of 35 cents on the $100, for the purpose of building a graded schoolhouse of four rooms.
This became an issue in his second election, and he having been successful, the building was completed, and a school is taught there which is a credit to any township.  Mr. Bush is a self made man, not having depended upon any one for help in climbing the ladder to prosperity.

CALVIN ELY is the fourth of the five children born to David and Mary E. (McCracken) Ely, natives of Virginia and North Carolina, and of English descent;  was born in Clay Township, Morgan County, Ind., May 3, 1849, and passed his childhood on his father's farm.  He received instruction at the public schools sufficient to enable him to become one of our county's
teachers.  Mr. Ely attended the State Normal School at Terre Haute during 1874 and 1875, and also graduated from the International Business College of Indianapolis June 1, 1872.  As he was then fully competent as a teacher, he followed that profession for about eight years, at the same time engaging in book-keeping.  In the meantime, he served as Deputy in the Auditor's, Treasurer's and Clerk's offices at Martinsville.  On January 10, 1878, Mr. Ely was married to Frances A. Stafford, a native of Morgan County, and daughter of Wiley and Sarah (Slaughter) Stafford, natives of Morgan County, Ind., and of English and German descent.  By this union they have had one child born to them, Charles, born August 2, 1881.  Mr. and Mrs. Ely belong to the Christian and to the Methodist Episcopal Churches respectively.  Mr. Ely is a member of the A. F. & A. M.  Since his marriage, he has been engaged in farming 192 acres which he owns, and has highly improved.  On this place is a fine residence, barn, fences, orchard, etc.;  it is stocked with hogs, horses, sheep and cattle, and further provided with all necessary farming implements.  In collecting this, Mr. Ely has depended upon himself only and has received nothing from any man.

A. J. FIELDS was born in Madison Township, Morgan County, August 20, 1830, and is the son of Allen and Elizabeth (Ritcher) Fields, natives respectively of North Carolina and Virginia.  The parents came to Indiana in 1828, and located in Madison Township, where they resided until their death.  Our subject was reared upon a farm, received a rather limited education, and came to Clay Township on January 1, 1853, and continued farming, being at present located upon a farm of 138 acres of well improved land, of which he
is the owner.  He has been twice married.  First to Clarissa Butterfield, on December 18, 1853.  She was native of Morgan County, and daughter of Veloris and Clarissa Butterfield.  Seven children were born to them, Omer A., born February 12, 1856, died July 17, 1870;  Francis O., born August 10, 1860, died March 30, 1882;  Martin A., born November 30, 1868, died May 18, 1882; George A., born December 4, 1871, died November 25, 1874;  Ada A., born August 18, 1858;  William F., born July 13, 1864;  Annetta, born July 15,
1862.  The mother of these children died on October 2, 1872, a consistent member of the Christian Church.  He was next married, on March 20, 1874, to Eleanor Butterfield, who was born on January 15, 1837. She is the daughter of John H. and Eleanor Butterfield. They have no children.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Fields are members of the Christian Church, in which he has been Deacon for the past twenty years. Consistent in his piety, lavish in his gifts to charity, upright in his dealings with his fellow-man, Mr. Fields is respected by all who know him.  Mr. F.'s father, Allen Fields, was born on March 18, 1789, and died on October 24, 1877;  his mother, Elizabeth Fields, was born on December 2, 1793, and died on April 24, 1864.

JOHN HINER GREGORY (deceased) was born in Morgan County, Ind., July 4, 1842, and is the son of Daniel and Mary (Cox) Gregory, of English lineage.  John H., was reared upon a farm, and was educated at the common schools. February 7, 1866, he was married to Amanda J., a native of Morgan County, born February 14, 1844, and a daughter of William and Eleanor (Clark) Rinker.  Three children were given them, Oliver L. (deceased), Albert and Melva I.  The father died on April 7, 1882, in the membership of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which his wife belongs.  Mrs. Gregory is living upon a farm of 122 acres of land, well improved and abundantly stocked.  Mr. Gregory enlisted August 6, 1862, in Company H, Seventieth Indiana Infantry, and served three years.  He participated in the following battles:  Russellville, Resaca, Cassville, New Hope Church, Lost Mountain, Kenesaw Mountain, Marietta, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, Savannah, and was also with Sherman on his "march to the sea."  He was honorably discharged on June 8, 1865.  He then resumed farming, was always a most devoted husband and father, as well as a respected citizen.  Being early left an orphan, Mr. Gregory lived with an uncle until he had nearly attained his majority, when he returned to Morgan County, Ind.  Mrs. Gregory is residing on the old homestead of Levi Rinker.

ALEXANDER HARDWICK was born November 10, 1842, in Clay Township, Morgan County, Ind.  His father, William Hardwick, was born in Tennessee in 1808, and while he was quite young his parents moved with him to Kentucky.  He then went with them to Mooresville, at the age of fifteen, and in 1835 married Elizabeth Cox, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1815.  She went to Ohio with her parents in early youth, and thence to Morgan County.  Here she was married to William Hardwick, and they have been living in this county ever since.  Mr. Hardwick was of English Scotch, and his wife of Irish Dutch descent.  Alexander, their son, and our subject, was born and reared near Centerton.  His advantages for an education were limited, but he improved such opportunities as he had, and thus acquired sufficient learning to become a successful teacher.  This profession he has followed for about ten years.  He has been for six years engaged in the flouring mill and in the grain business.  For about two years he was  engaged in the mercantile business.  Mr. Hardwick never aspired to any public office, but was elected Trustee of the township in 1874, which position he resigned at the expiration of the first year.  He has been a member of the I. O. O. F., Martinsville, Lodge No. 274, since 1868.  In 1860, he began to do business for himself, and in March, 1868, married Eliza E., daughter of Joel and Elizabeth Matthews.  Joel was a son of Hiram, or Judge Matthews, as he is commonly known.  Elizabeth Rooker is a daughter of Wilson and Polly Rooker, all old settlers of Morgan County, and have lived and are living near
Mooresville.  Mr. Hardwick's present occupation is teaching, of which he is seemingly fond.

HON. FRANKLIN LANDERS was born in Morgan County, Ind., March 22, 1825.  His father, William Landers, was one of the pioneers of the New Purchase, and here Franklin was reared a farmer and educated at the country schools. After reaching his majority, he followed teaching a few terms, and with his earnings therefrom, added to those from his farm labors, in company with his brother, Washington, he opened a general store at Waverly, Ind.  A few years later, he purchased a section of land in this township, laid out the town of
Brooklyn, brought his merchandise here, and for several years sold goods, farmed, reared and dealt in stock, and before he was of middle age, became one of the wealthiest men in the country.  He accumulated money without an apparent effort, and spent it like a prince.  Objects of charity and benevolent institutions were the recipients of his bounty, and the poor and the needy who knew him have every reason to bless him.  He has established no less than five churches upon his lands, and to their support has given liberally.  In 1860, he was nominated for State Senator, and defeated his opponent, Samuel Oyler, one of the most popular men of Indiana, by a large majority.  In the Legislature, he acquitted himself with honor, and to the satisfaction of his constituency.  He favored a vigorous prosecution of the war for the preservation of the Union;  he advocated the enforcement of military law where civil law was overthrown, and upon all questions tending to establish the supremacy of a united government, his voice was in the affirmative.  He moved to the city of Indianapolis in 1864, where, in company with other well known gentlemen, he engaged in the wholesale dry goods business, which he has since followed.  He is also the head of the firm of Landers & Co., pork packers and commission merchants, and is one of the most extensive farmers in the State.  He owns four fine farms, aggregating 2,100 acres, in Morgan County, one of 250 acres in Marion, and one of 160 acres in Hamilton, all of which receive his personal supervision.
He was candidate for Presidential elector on the McClellan ticket in 1864. In 1874, he was elected to Congress, where he took rank as leader upon all questions of finance.  In 1875, the Greenback party nominated him for Governor, but the Democratic convention before which his name was presented for endorsement, finding the contest between Mr. Landers and the Hon. W. S. Holman to be so warm as to preclude the possibility of harmony in the party, both those gentlemen were withdrawn, and a compromise effected upon the Hon.
James Williams.  Over his protest, Mr. Landers' friends nominated him for Congress in 1876, and through defeated, he ran ahead of his ticket over 800, and his candidacy added much to the strength of the Democracy, and led to the election of Mr. Williams as Governor, and carried the State of Indiana for Tilden and Hendricks.  In 1880, he led the Democratic hosts as their candidate for Governor, the result of which campaign is a part of the history of our country.  Mr. Landers has been twice married;  first to Miss Mary Shuffleberger, who died in 1864, leaving two children, and next to Mrs. Martha Conduitt, by whom he has had born to him four children.

DR. CHAMBERS M. LINDLEY was born in Crawford County, Ill., on January 1, 1832.  His father came from North Carolina, and settled in Orange County, Ind., while the country was yet a wilderness and inhabited by the Indians. Shortly afterward, he moved to Crawford County, near Huntsville, Ill., and the country being wild and unsettled, he with all the early settlers, endured many hardships and privations.  He was a member of the Friends' Church, and this ten children were brought up under its influence.  He died in 1837.  Chambers M., the subject of this sketch, was reared on a farm.  At the age of fifteen, he lost an arm by a runaway horse.  After a season at the pioneer schools, he came to Parke County, Ind., and attended the Bloomingdale School, conducted by the Friends.  Then he taught for a period of three years.  He then began the study of medicine, and attended the medical colleges at Ann Arbor, Mich., and Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating from the latter institution in 1860.  He then began the practice of medicine at Waverly, Morgan County, where he continued in his profession ten years. Failing in health, he retired to a farm, where he remained six years; thence came to Brooklyn, where for twelve years he has been actively engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery.  In May, 1856, he was married to Elizabeth J. Province, of Pleasureville, Ky.  She has borne him two children, Ella and Minnie.  The Doctor and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  He is also a member of the Brooklyn Lodge, No. 471, A. F. & A. M.  As a farmer, he owns 260 acres of well improved land.  The Doctor has a fine medical library, as well as the works of nearly all the standard authors on miscellaneous subjects.

P. S. MCNEFF was born in 1834, near Brooklyn, Morgan County.  He lived on the farm until the autumn of 1852, when he went to Iowa, where he worked on a farm for two years, and then served time at the carpenter's trade, and worked at it until the spring of 1856, when he returned to Indiana, and remained until September of the same year.  He then returned to Iowa, and in 1858 went to Lawrence, Kan.;  thence again, in 1859, to Iowa;  thence, in September of the same year, to New Albany, Ind.;  thence to Salem, Ind. After a short sojourn South, he returned to Salem, Ind., where he remained until March, 1861.  In that meantime, he was married to Catharine, daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth Winslow.  After a trip to Iowa, he returned to Salem and bought a farm near that town, on which he remained until March, 1869, owning meantime different farms.  He then sold out and moved to French Lick, Orange Co., Ind., and engaged in the dry goods business, following it several years.  When he closed out his stock and returned to Brooklyn, Morgan County, having been absent nineteen years.  Here he purchased a stock of goods, formed a partnership with his brother, W. A. McNeff, and remained in the business five years, when our subject retired from the firm and moved to Monrovia, Ind., and again engaged in the mercantile trade.  After over two years' experience in the business, he moved his stock to Louisville, on the county line between Morgan and Owen.  In February, 1881, he disposed of his stock and again returned to Brooklyn and purchased another stock of goods.   At the end of sixty days, he again sold out, and purchased his brother's stock, and is, just at this time, engaged in the mercantile business, having a successful trade.

WILLIAM A. MCNEFF, farmer, was born in Brown Township, Morgan County, Ind., March 25, 1838, and is the seventh of the ten children born to Thomas W. and Sarah (Smith) McNeff, natives of Kentucky and Pennsylvania, and respectively of Scotch Irish and German descent.  William A. was reared upon the home farm, and attended the subscription schools.  His father brought him to Indiana in an early day, coming to Harrison Township.  There he was married, and afterward came to Morgan County.  In 1852, William A. went from Indiana to Iowa with his father, and there remained until 1862.  Mr. McNeff, Sr., died in 1856.  After returning to Indiana, William A. went to Washington County, and afterward went to Orange County, and came to Morgan County in 1871.   Since that time, he has resided in this township.  He is engaged in cultivating a farm of 120 acres, improved, and having a fine residence, besides other appliances necessary to a finished farm.  It is also stocked with horses, hogs, cattle and sheep. 
On December 28, 1872, he was married
to Mary C. Rinker, a native of Clay Township, Morgan County, and a daughter of William and Eleanor Rinker.  They have had two children, Leslie, born February 8, 1874, and Don Clyde, born September 13, 1882.  Mrs. McNeff is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is a Democrat, having cast his fist ballot for James Buchanan.  In earning a competence, he has been aided by no one, having been dependent entirely upon himself.

DR. GRANT MONICAL, resident of Brooklyn, was born February 18, 1857, and is a native of Morgan County, Ind.  He was reared upon a farm, but received a good education, and finally began teaching school, which pursuit he followed for five years.  On March 1, 1879, Grant began studying medicine with Dr. C. M. Lindley, and afterward took a course of study at the Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, and graduated from that institution in 1881.  Dr. Monical then located at Brooklyn, Ind., and has a good practice.  He is universally regarded as a most promising young physician, and one who is rising rapidly in his profession.

O. C. MOON, farmer, was born in Brown Township, Morgan County, Ind., May 1, 1852, and is the second of three children born to L. D. and Rachel (Thornburg) Moon, natives of Warren County, Ohio, and of Morgan County, Ind., and of English ancestry.  O. C. was reared upon a farm, and received sufficient instruction to enable him to teach school, later, in the schools of this county.  He was very successful in this, and followed it for ten years.  He attended the business college at Indianapolis, and graduated from there in 1877.  March 13, 1879, he was married to Jennie Griggs, a native of this county and township, and daughter of Clark and Margaret (Marrow) Griggs.  After marriage, Mr. Moon engaged in farming, and is now living upon a farm of 360 acres, near Brooklyn, and which belongs to his father-in-law, Clark Griggs.  Mr. and Mrs. Moon belong to the Methodist Episcopal and Christian denominations respectively.  He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and a Republican.

PERRY O. PHILLIPS, dealer in groceries and stationery, was born in Clay Township, Morgan County, Ind., May 22, 1857, and grew to manhood upon a farm.   He received some instruction in the common branches of study, and after he had attained his majority, began life independently, by farming. Mr. Phillips has been married twice.  On February 2, 1879, he wedded Nancy J. Everling, a native of Johnson County, Ind.  She died on November 24, 1880, leaving an infant, which died  soon after.  Mrs. Phillips was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Mr. Phillips was next married to Eliza E. (Stafford) Koons, who was born June 1, 1855.  One child was born to them, on August 28, 1883.  The parents belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Phillips is a Republican and a Mason, and is now holding the office of Assessor of Clay Township.

ELI T. RINKER (deceased) was born in Ohio, May 15, 1812, and while yet a small boy, came with his parents to Washington County, Ind.  He came to Morgan County some forty years ago.  On October 21, 1841, Mr. Rinker was married to Charity, daughter of David and Sarah (Claypool) Ely, Virginians. David Ely emigrated to Indiana, located in Hendricks County, and remained there until his death, July 20, 1845.  Sarah Ely died at the residence of her sons, in Morgan County, October 25, 1857, in her seventy fourth year, having been a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for fifty two years.  For sixteen or seventeen years, her house was used as a place of holding services, and the weary, wandering minister always found a welcome home at "Mother Ely's."  Mrs. Ely was the mother of twelve children. To Mr. E. T. Rinkers' marriage have been born two children, one of whom died
in infancy, and the other, Simeon K., at twenty years of age.  On March 12, 1873, Mr. Rinker departed this life.  Since 1837, he had been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and as a consistent Christian, and in losing him the community sustained a bereavement which will long be felt.  His wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is living upon the home place of 140 acres, which her husband had improved.  She is over sixty four years of age, and dwells there alone, having neither husband, children, father nor
mother, and being much loved and respected by all her friends.  In Morgan County, on January 18, 1862, Simeon K. Rinker departed this life, aged twenty years, and was the only child of Eli and Charity Rinker.  Simeon K. was trained in religious matters by his parents, and at thirteen years of age united with the Methodist Episcopal Church.  He was a kind, affectionate and obedient son, and, although the Master called for him so early, his work was done, and as he left his weeping friends in his father's house below, it was but to pass to the fellowship of those who had "gone before" to his Father's house above.

NOAH R. RINKER was born in Washington County, Ind., March 22, 1820, and is the son of Levi Rinker, who was born October 5, 1790, and died July 24, 1858.  Levi Rinker married Elizabeth Cracraft, who was born October 13, 1794, and died December 22, 1852.  They were natives respectively of Virginia and Kentucky, and were married in Ohio, in 1815.  They came from Ohio to Indiana in an early day, locating in Washington County, and from there coming to Morgan County in 1830.  They were early pioneers, and lived here until their death.  Levi was a soldier of 1812;  Noah was reared upon a farm and received a limited education.  On September 1, 1842, he was married to Lydia Ann Griggs, who was born November 15, 1819, in Clinton County, Ind. By her he had born to him seven children, of whom four are living, Elizabeth (Allen), Margaret (Underwood), Martha E. (Williams) and Christopher C.  The mother died October 7, 1855, a member of the Christian Church.  On March 27, 1856, Mr. Rinker took for his second wife Lydia E. Johnson, a native of
North Carolina, who was born August 19, 1823.  They have had seven children, three of whom are living, A. Dayton, Mary A. and Orlando O.  Mr. and Mrs. Rinker are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Since his tenth year, Mr. Rinker has been a resident of this county and township.  He belongs to the I. O. O. F., and is a Democrat. Through his own exertions, he has become independent.

SILAS RINKER was born September 17, 1835, in Clay Township, Morgan Co., Ind., and is the son of Levi and Elizabeth (Cracraft) Rinker.  Silas was reared upon a farm, received ordinary school advantages, and at the age of eighteen started out for himself.  Since that time he has followed farming, with the exception of fifteen months in the mercantile business.  He is living now upon fifty seven acres of land near Brooklyn.  Mr. Rinker has been twice married.  On October 10, 1852, he was married to Melissa Jane, of Monroe County, and daughter of Joseph and Lucinda (Harper) Hiatt.  By this union there were eight children, of whom four are living, George W., William E., Louella J. and Silas E.  The mother died Mary 26, 1876, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Mr. Rinker was next wedded, on August 12, 1876, to Lu E. Reaves, a native of Gibson County, Ind., and a daughter of William and Eleanor (Burton) Reaves, Indianians, of Irish and German extraction respectively.  Two children have crowned this union, Levi R. and Burton C.
Both Mr. Rinker and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and belongs to the I. O. O. F.  Mr. Rinker is a politician of Democratic proclivities, and through life has risen by his own efforts to his present independent position.
WILLIAM RINKER (deceased) was born in Washington County, Ind., on July 30, 1816, and died in Morgan County on May 6, 1881.  He came to Morgan County with his parents in 1830, where he lived until his death.  In 1846, he became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and for thirty five years testified his faith in the Savior, his joy in the Holy Ghost, and his hope of a blessed immortality.  His disease was erysipelas, and for four long weeks his sufferings were terrible, but he endured them with Christian fortitude, and he was never head to murmur or complain.  When questioned as to his feelings, he replied that he was trusting in the Lord, that all was well with him, and that he had not missed praying every day for fifty years. Although he was remarkably diffident as to his ability as a useful man, he remained an affectionate husband, ever treating his companion kindly and tenderly, and ever striving to render her life agreeable and happy.  As a father, he dearly loved his children, by whom in return he was beloved.  His children, some of whom are young men beginning life for themselves, miss his wise counsels, his kind advice, his Christian example.  In his temporal affairs he was signally successful, never undertaking anything that he
considered in the lest hazardous, and by his industry and frugality he accumulated considerable means, which, while it afforded him and his family luxury as well as comfort, also enabled him to contribute liberally to charity, and in being a kind neighbor and useful citizen.  At his death, he owned a farm of 500 acres of land well improved and stocked.  In politics,
he was a Democrat, being at the time of his demise a member of the Board of County Commissioners.  On January 25, 1844, he was married to Eleanor Clark, a native of Ohio, born January 16, 1823, and daughter of John and Rebecca (Matthews) Clark.  Eleven children were born to them, John M., E. A. (deceased), Amanda J., Mary C., Leonidas, Margaret A. (deceased), Rebecca (deceased), Lewis A. (deceased), Ida E. (deceased), George D. and Oscar B.
Mrs. Rinker a consistent Christian, a kind mother, yet survives her husband.
Although she mourns the loss of her husband, father, sister, three of her grown children, a son and daughter-in-law, all of whom have passed away within the last two years, she still holds fast to her faith in the Lord, with a hope of meeting them.

BARTLEY SELLERS, a prominent farmer and stock raiser, was born in Guilford County, N.C., October 21, 1830, and is the second of nine children born to Jordan and Mary (Mason) Sellers, natives of Virginia and of English and Irish extraction.  Mr. Mason was a soldier of the Revolutionary war. Bartley's parents came from north Carolina to Indiana in the fall of 1850, and located in Brown Township, in this county, where they remained until Mrs. Sellers' death, in 1856.  She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Mr. Sellers, Sr., is also a member of that church, and he is now residing with his son Peter, in Hendricks County.  Bartley was reared upon a farm, received limited schooling, and at nineteen years of age began life independently in North Carolina, and when he had earned money enough for the trip, he came to Indiana in 1851, and located in Morgan County with $1 in his pocket, engaged in farming, and worked at $15 per month.  August 12, 1855, Mr. Sellers was married to Mary a daughter of Andrew and Elizabeth Wright, and a native of Morgan County, by whom he has had three children, Andrew, John and an infant unnamed.  Mr. Sellers and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church.  He owns and manages a farm of 140 acres of well improved land, all cultivated.  His farm is supplied with a fine orchard and a commodious residence, and stocked with horses, hogs, cattle and sheep.  Mr. Sellers is engaged extensively in shipping stock to Indianapolis, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.  He belongs the A. F. & A. M. Lodge, No. 78, Mooresville, Ind., and has had three brothers who were in the late war.  Mr. Sellers has built up his own fortune, has had no assistance whatever from anybody except his industrious wife, and the couple are rewarded by the possession of their comfortable home.

BENJAMIN STAFFORD, pioneer farmer of this county, was born in Highland County, Ohio, May 28, 1810, and is the third of the seven children born to Robert and Sarah (Bullick) Stafford, natives of North Carolina, and of English ancestry.  Benjamin accompanied his parents from Ohio to Indiana in 1818.  They located in Monroe County, and remained there until March, 1820, at which time the family came to this county.  The county was then a wilderness, and was not then organized, the Indians roaming at their sweet pleasure through the leafy forests. Robert Stafford entered land, and made a home in the wilderness, amid bears, wolves, panthers and other wild animals, and, with the poorest advantages for an education, Benjamin grew to manhood.
On February 15, 1830, he was married to Ruthie Gifford, a native of Indiana, and a daughter of Jesse and Sarah (Marshall) Gifford.  They had one child, Sarah (deceased), and the mother dying, Mr. Stafford was married to Margaret Price on March 17, 1835.  Eight children were born to this union, of whom six are living, Nancy J. (Woods), John, Marion, William Benjamin, Barnard and Grant.  Mrs. Stafford having departed this life, Mr. Stafford was again married.  He took for his third wife Mrs. Susan Fry, by whom he has had seven children, of whom six are living, Mary (Passor), James, Priscilla (McKinley), Martha (Myrick), Emeline (Gooch) and Oliver P. M.  Mr. Stafford and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Mr. Stafford began life by clearing out a farm in the wilderness, and enduring great privations.  He has succeeded, and now owns seventy acres in this township. He alone has made from the green woods the home which he now occupies.  His only help has been a faithful and saving wife, who has been indeed a help meet in all his struggles and adversities. Although Mr. Stafford is seventy three years of age, he has a robust constitution and promises to live many years of usefulness in the township which he has helped to build up. He is very strong in Christian faith, and faithful in the performance of his duties, and has read his Bible through nearly fifty times during the last twelve years.  He could not read a word until he was forty years old. Mr. Stafford is much prized as a good neighbor and citizen, and is fully appreciated in the community in which he has moved so long.


Return To The Main Index Page

Return To The Bio Index Page